RE: Focus Pacific Beta (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding

BillBrown -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (6/5/2016 5:34:38 AM)

I'm using .11

BillBrown -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (6/5/2016 2:41:00 PM)

Scenario 71:

1. Dup names 4285, 4286 both 12th BG/HG sqn

2. USN F5F skyrocket has an upgrade to P-50A Skyrocket, should it be to the F5F-2 Skyrocket?
USN F5F-2 Skyrocket has an upgrade to P-65 Skyrocket? Should it be to itself?

btd64 -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (6/5/2016 4:11:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

Scenario 71:

1. Dup names 4285, 4286 both 12th BG/HG sqn

2. USN F5F skyrocket has an upgrade to P-50A Skyrocket, should it be to the F5F-2 Skyrocket?

1. In investigating this issue I opened a large can of worms. In focus pacific, including my version, There is no unit withdrawal. So I found no less than 14 12th BG squadrons. I will email my solution to Para.

2. Your right. On my list of things to fix within my mod. Both F5F models are CV capable. The rest are not.

Keep them coming guys....GP

BillBrown -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (6/5/2016 4:35:11 PM)

Be careful, some of those are Chinese.

btd64 -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (6/5/2016 4:47:27 PM)

These were USAAF not CAF....GP

BillBrown -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (6/5/2016 5:17:40 PM)

quote:

I see that all of the invasion units start on map turn 1, but they all are assigned to restricted commands. Is that intentional?

Also, the invasion mobilization units do not appear. Will they only show up if the Japanese crosses those LODs?

I wanted to bump this. All of the invasion units start assigned to restricted commands. They are not much use if I have to spend many thousands of PPs to release them.

btd64 -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (6/5/2016 5:27:36 PM)

I agree. Para has or will let you know the purpose of those units being on map....GP

btd64 -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (6/5/2016 5:44:05 PM)

I have put them back as emergency reinforcements in scenario 75....GP

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (6/5/2016 5:45:43 PM)

quote:

quote:

I see that all of the invasion units start on map turn 1, but they all are assigned to restricted commands. Is that intentional?

Also, the invasion mobilization units do not appear. Will they only show up if the Japanese crosses those LODs?

I wanted to bump this. All of the invasion units start assigned to restricted commands. They are not much use if I have to spend many thousands of PPs to release them.

The inclusion of those forces is intentional to give the allied player greater flexibility. You receive significantly more PP in Focus Pacific, allowing you to buy these units out if you so choose. Also, you'll notice an unrestricted command in the West Coast restricted command hierarchy, allowing you to buy out your US units for a quarter of the PP. It's very doable to have every one of these units bought out by the end of 42, given that you don't spend too much in other areas.

BillBrown -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (6/5/2016 5:49:17 PM)

OK, game breaker for me.

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (6/5/2016 5:49:49 PM)

quote:

Scenario 71:

Really glad you caught this - this will be fixed for the release.

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (6/5/2016 5:59:03 PM)

quote:

OK, game breaker for me.

I'm not sure why - in stock these were only available if invaded, I'm not sure why having them available early is a negative for you. Believe me, you will not be short of PP in Focus Pacific. Between the US II corps unrestricted command allowing you to buy out West Coast units for a fraction of the PP cost (similar to II Australia Corps), additional PP and many more units unrestricted to begin with, if you need to use these units, you're not going to have a problem doing so.

Also, the West Coast emergency reinforcements start in play on the West Coast, which means that they're available to defend against invasion if you buy them out or not.

Besides the additional flexibility that this system gives you, it also removes the malus that the Japanese player faces against crossing invisible, arbitrary lines on the map.

nate25 -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (6/5/2016 8:58:41 PM)

I'm looking through my Allied aircraft and I don't see the F5Fs you gentlemen are speaking of.

Just curious.

Thanks,
Nate

BillBrown -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (6/5/2016 9:09:14 PM)

USN fighter aircraft. If it doesn't show up, you probably installed the mod wrong.

nate25 -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (6/5/2016 9:10:53 PM)

It seemed to copy right to my game files. Am I mistaken?

Thanks,
Nate

BillBrown -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (6/5/2016 9:21:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: paradigmblue

quote:

OK, game breaker for me.

I'm not sure why - in stock these were only available if invaded, I'm not sure why having them available early is a negative for you. Believe me, you will not be short of PP in Focus Pacific. Between the US II corps unrestricted command allowing you to buy out West Coast units for a fraction of the PP cost (similar to II Australia Corps), additional PP and many more units unrestricted to begin with, if you need to use these units, you're not going to have a problem doing so.

Also, the West Coast emergency reinforcements start in play on the West Coast, which means that they're available to defend against invasion if you buy them out or not.

Besides the additional flexibility that this system gives you, it also removes the malus that the Japanese player faces against crossing invisible, arbitrary lines on the map.

I guess the term game breaker is too tough, it is disappointing, I thought they would be available to combat the extra 44 divisions Japan gets.

I have played a game where I got the Australian and New Zealand invasion reinforcements and they were not restricted, so I assumed they would not be when I read the first post about the mod.

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (6/5/2016 11:36:50 PM)

quote:

I guess the term game breaker is too tough, it is disappointing, I thought they would be available to combat the extra 44 divisions Japan gets.

I'm probably not communicating very well. These units are definitely available to combat the extra divisions that Japan gets, you just have to pay the points to do so, which is very easy to do. There are what, 15 extra divisions in the emergency reinforcements? Each one usually costs around 1,600 PP to buy out, for a total of 24,000 PP needed. However, they can all be bought out into unrestricted commands nested in the restricted command, which allow you to pay 1/4 the PP, so you really only need 6,000 PP. Focus Pacific gives the allied player 90 PP per day, which means that you can buy every single emergency reinforcement out by mid February of 1942. I would say that they are absolutely available to combat the extra divisions that Japan gets - by the end of December 41 it's very possible to have bought out several thousand AV worth of emergency reinforcements alone.

In any case, by the time that Japan makes a serious play for India, Australia, New Zealand or the West Coast, you will have had time to buy the reinforcements out and move them in position to defend.

While Japan is very, very strong in Focus Pacific, please don't overlook the many new ways that the allies have to counter them in this mod - there are plenty.

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (6/5/2016 11:37:54 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

OK, game breaker for me.

I have played a game where I got the Australian and New Zealand invasion reinforcements and they were not restricted, so I assumed they would not be when I read the first post about the mod.

I think the key thing is that they are temp restricted, not perm restricted.

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (6/5/2016 11:46:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: nate25

It seemed to copy right to my game files. Am I mistaken?

Thanks,
Nate

Yes, if you followed the instructions in the first post of this thread it should be working. Make sure that you're opening scenario 71 for it to work.

BillBrown -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (6/5/2016 11:50:48 PM)

quote:

quote:

I'm probably not communicating very well. These units are definitely available to combat the extra divisions that Japan gets, you just have to pay the points to do so, which is very easy to do. There are what, 15 extra divisions in the emergency reinforcements? Each one usually costs around 1,600 PP to buy out, for a total of 24,000 PP needed. However, they can all be bought out into unrestricted commands nested in the restricted command, which allow you to pay 1/4 the PP, so you really only need 6,000 PP. Focus Pacific gives the allied player 90 PP per day, which means that you can buy every single emergency reinforcement out by mid February of 1942. I would say that they are absolutely available to combat the extra divisions that Japan gets - by the end of December 41 it's very possible to have bought out several thousand AV worth of emergency reinforcements alone.

In any case, by the time that Japan makes a serious play for India, Australia, New Zealand or the West Coast, you will have had time to buy the reinforcements out and move them in position to defend.

While Japan is very, very strong in Focus Pacific, please don't overlook the many new ways that the allies have to counter them in this mod - there are plenty.

A difference of viewpoint. I look at it as I have 40 PPs per turn to buy these out, the other 50 are being used to do the things I would normally do, change commanders, buy out other restricted units, etc. so 6,000 PPs / 40 = 150 days or about 5 months. But like I said, when I read the description I was expecting them to be unrestricted, so I was disappointed to find out they were not.

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (6/6/2016 12:27:28 AM)

quote:

A difference of viewpoint. I look at it as I have 40 PPs per turn to buy these out, the other 50 are being used to do the things I would normally do, change commanders, buy out other restricted units, etc. so 6,000 PPs / 40 = 150 days or about 5 months. But like I said, when I read the description I was expecting them to be unrestricted, so I was disappointed to find out they were not.

That makes sense. I'd be afraid that by allowing all of the emergency reinforcements right away, the allied player could very easily drop all of the Colombo and Aden emergency reinforcements off at Karachi in Dec 41, strat move them on the rail system to Chittagong and make Japanese progress in Burma/India impossible (In fact, if given this option, I don't know many players who wouldn't do this). Starting off with that much unrestricted AV would give the allies the ability to stop any Japanese ground campaign in its tracks in early 1942. I think we can all agree that it makes for a more interesting game when Japan bites off more than they did historically.

jagsdomain -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (5/24/2020 9:10:09 PM)

That's a lot of CV for the IJN how does the allies stand a chance?
Do you have Sky Pirates available for the US CV?

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific Beta (5/24/2020 9:49:47 PM)

Hi jagsdomain,

This version of Focus Pacific is no longer publically maintained. For a less buggy - and more balanced - experience, please check out General Patton's version of the Focus Pacific mod here.

Page: <<   < prev  10 11 12 13 [14]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI