ALL GERMAN TYPOS here thanks (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa

Meteor2 -> ALL GERMAN TYPOS here thanks (11/29/2015 7:02:10 AM)

Lancer

Read this post first, thanks

- - -

Meteor2
First, I am enjoying the game a lot! [:)]

But seeing some conversation (reports), I am not sure, what is intended and what is a simple typo.

AG Farben (wrong) = IG Farben
Armeegruppe Nordwärts = Heeresgruppe Nord
Kommandante = Oberbefehlshaber
Cdr = Kdr
... and so on.

Is this intended to make sure, that we take everything with a grain of salt or is here a correction needed?

Vic, a very good approach and really fresh air in the genre. [&o]

zakblood -> RE: Should we report typos ? (11/29/2015 7:04:30 AM)

yes if something is missed or not correct, report it, and i'm sure Vic & C will sort it[&o]

amatteucci -> RE: Should we report typos ? (11/29/2015 8:14:31 AM)

Also, it's Königsberg (or, at least, Koenigsberg) not Koningsberg. Koningsberg just sound too... Dutch! [;)]

lancer -> RE: Should we report typos ? (11/29/2015 8:17:03 AM)

Hi Meteor,

AG Farben is deliberately wrong to avoid connections with it's unsavoury activities. Zylon B, etc.

The others you mention are there to accommodate non-German speakers. It'd be nice to go for full realism here but it's not much good if nobody understands what's being said so there is some fudging involved.

However there are doubtless other typos or spelling mistakes present despite my best efforts as there is a lot of text.

Cheers,
Cameron

DerGrenadier -> RE: Should we report typos ? (11/29/2015 9:57:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: lancer

The others you mention are there to accommodate non-German speakers. It'd be nice to go for full realism here but it's not much good if nobody understands what's being said so there is some fudging involved.

However there are doubtless other typos or spelling mistakes present despite my best efforts as there is a lot of text.

Cheers,
Cameron

For me as a German these are immersion killers. Why dont call a Armygroup a Heeresgruppe? Whats the big deal? I guess most people who buy this kind of games already have an interest in WW2 history and they are familiar with the correct terms.

Templer_12 -> RE: Should we report typos ? (11/29/2015 10:00:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DerGrenadier

quote:

Cheers,
Cameron

For me as a German these are immersion killers. Why dont call a Armygroup a Heeresgruppe? Whats the big deal? I guess most people who buy this kind of games already have an interest in WW2 history and they are familiar with the correct terms.

Another German gives a big thumb up on this statement! [8D]
And what is the big deal to introduce German military ranks?

amatteucci -> RE: Should we report typos ? (11/29/2015 10:23:41 AM)

quote:

AG Farben is deliberately wrong to avoid connections with it's unsavoury activities. Zylon B, etc.

Well, since the German player has to routinely deal with people like Adolf Hitler and Heinrich Himmler, I think he might not be that shocked in having to deal with the CEO of the IG Farben. [:)] Anyway, not a big problem for me.

quote:

If using correct German terms can really cause misunderstandings, why not use simple plain English?

I speak only a little German but I second what our German speaking friends said: reading "faux German" is an immersion killer.

Jagdtiger14 -> RE: Should we report typos ? (11/29/2015 2:55:56 PM)

Totally agree. I really HATE political correctness.

I never heard of the city: Koningsberg (must be a typo). No need to put umlauts, but 'cmon...

amatteucci -> RE: Should we report typos ? (11/29/2015 3:24:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14
I never heard of the city: Koningsberg (must be a typo). No need to put umlauts, but 'cmon...

As I said above it's a typo, probably due to the Dutch spelling of the city i.e. Koningsbergen; koning (Dutch) = König (German) = king (English).

wosung -> RE: Should we report typos ? (11/29/2015 9:38:19 PM)

Chosing the the German side you role-play as Halder,don't you?
Then why is the the player adressed as Field Marshal and not as Colonel General?

barkhorn45 -> RE: Should we report typos ? (11/29/2015 11:47:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wosung

Chosing the the German side you role-play as Halder,don't you?
Then why is the the player adressed as Field Marshal and not as Colonel General?

That's what i've been thinking about he was'nt a fm and was not the Oberkommando des Heeres.
Brauchitch was,Halder as Chief of the General Staff was basically his chief of staff.

lancer -> RE: Should we report typos ? (11/30/2015 1:49:22 AM)

Hi,

Halder has indeed been given a promotion for the game.

We're considering rescinding it.

Cheers,
Cameron

Meteor2 -> RE: Should we report typos ? (11/30/2015 5:28:37 PM)

Please(!) remove the "Luftflotten Kommandants".
It has to be "Oberbefehlshaber der Luftflotten". [;)]

Meteor2 -> RE: Should we report typos ? (11/30/2015 7:45:12 PM)

"Theather Nordwärts" - Please change to "Heeresgruppe Nord".

"Heer Ostzone" - Please change to "Ostfront" (if context ok).

No german speaker in the team? [;)]

Templer_12 -> RE: Should we report typos ? (11/30/2015 8:07:29 PM)

quote:

Cheers,
Cameron

Hi Cameron,

I won't accept this statement.

We all are strategy players, war gamer, we are able to keep dozens of rules in our mind - we will adapt such realism easily!

lancer -> RE: Should we report typos ? (11/30/2015 10:25:42 PM)

Hi,

As I'm the one who put all the texts together and made some dubious calls on mangling the German language you can blame me for this.

I'm not a German speaker and I've used English reference books on the subject that have taken a relatively consistent naming approach which I've followed.

However there is always room for improvement and if you'd like to highlight areas where my 'German Speak' hasn't passed muster, in this thread, at some point not too far away, I'll take a swing through all the numerous text files and correct things.

Cheers,
Cameron

sergeii99 -> RE: Should we report typos ? (12/1/2015 3:04:17 AM)

For me it is fine like this, since i dont speak or understand a word of german.

Cheers

Serge

CaptCarnage -> RE: Should we report typos ? (12/1/2015 5:09:23 AM)

Haha yeah - let's do AG Farben because that doesn't associate with IG Farben...

Let's fight with the Wehrmacht, who were a bunch of innocent strategists forced by Hitler to fight - but otherwise took great care of the Russian country and the people living there.
Or let's fight the Red Army who - when the war was won - just behaved themselves and didn't make sure that many a baby born in 1946 in German families weren't from German daddies.

Or let's call Hitler just Hilter, and Stalin something like Stealin - just not to associate them with the teddybears that they were.

Maybe the cartoonish leader images will help us forget too :)

Come on guys, it's IG Farben. We are grownups, we know what we're doing.
Great game though.

Meteor2 -> RE: Should we report typos ? (12/1/2015 5:44:58 AM)

quote:

Hi,

As I'm the one who put all the texts together and made some dubious calls on mangling the German language you can blame me for this.

I'm not a German speaker and I've used English reference books on the subject that have taken a relatively consistent naming approach which I've followed.

However there is always room for improvement and if you'd like to highlight areas where my 'German Speak' hasn't passed muster, in this thread, at some point not too far away, I'll take a swing through all the numerous text files and correct things.

Cheers,
Cameron

Hi Lancer,
thats ok. No need to defend. I like the approach to add German wording to the reports in the game. That adds flavour and looks better.
But if that is really intended, we should try to eliminate to the funny expressions (for us Germans at least) and replace them by correct ones.
I think, that most of the Germans on the forum are glad to help.

PJJ -> RE: Should we report typos ? (12/1/2015 1:17:46 PM)

I agree that the "Pidgin German" is bad for immersion. If you want to use German in the game, please use the real language. :)

Also the politically correct stuff like AG Farben is unnecessary, unless there's some real legal reason prohibiting the use of the original name. But I know that IG Farben as a conglomerate doesn't even exist anymore. Since the brutal dictators Hitler and Stalin are already present in the game, along with a few other unsavoury characters, IG Farben wouldn't really make things any worse, in my humble opinion.

Obviously these are small details and the game is great even without changing them. :)

Gettysburg -> RE: Should we report typos ? (12/1/2015 1:38:49 PM)

+1[;)]

ernieschwitz -> RE: Should we report typos ? (12/1/2015 2:03:56 PM)

quote:

Obviously these are small details and the game is great even without changing them. :)

Amen

barkhorn45 -> RE: Should we report typos ? (12/1/2015 2:50:18 PM)

Brauchitch was the Oberkommando des Heeres and Halder was Chief of the General Staff.
Basically he was Brauchitch's chief of staff.Not really a typo but....

Templer_12 -> RE: Should we report typos ? (12/1/2015 7:03:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Meteor2

Be precisely on this:
Luftflotte = Singular
Luftflotten = Plural

Meteor2 -> RE: Should we report typos ? (12/1/2015 9:12:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Templer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Meteor2

Be precisely on this:
Luftflotte = Singular
Luftflotten = Plural

Right. But here it was meant to be Plural.

Meaning was "... die OB der Luftflotten berichteten...". [;)]

lancer -> RE: Should we report typos ? (12/1/2015 9:32:44 PM)

Hi,

IG Farben is actually correct.

The company split into four and was renamed but not until the early 50's.

Cheers,
Cameron

lancer -> RE: Should we report typos ? (12/3/2015 1:28:09 AM)

PanzerGruppe to Panzergruppe
Panzergruppes to Panzergruppen

Templer_12 -> RE: Should we report typos ? (12/3/2015 3:42:33 PM)

quote:

Hi,

Cheers,
Cameron

Maybe this is helpful, Sir:
-> German Military Abbreviations by the US Army Military Institute. April 12th, 1943

Templer_12 -> RE: Should we report typos ? (12/3/2015 4:45:44 PM)

In German, Herr (Mr. or Sir...) is always Herr (capital letter 'H')

[image]local://upfiles/30978/8C91C0F2256D423692462707242AAD03.jpg[/image]

Meteor2 -> RE: Should we report typos ? (12/3/2015 6:48:53 PM)

Friekorps (wrong) has to be : Freikorps

Cdr. 221 Security Div. GenLt. Pflugbebeil (wrong) has to be : Pflugbeil

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI