RE: OT Thighs to ponder (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

BBfanboy -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/20/2018 7:00:50 PM)

And just when you thought going kayaking in the wilderness would be a good way to get away from your troubles ... [X(]

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/grizzly-bear-chases-kayaker-down-b-c-river-1.4751753

scout1 -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/20/2018 10:47:58 PM)

LMAO

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

[image]local://upfiles/26061/3411646ADAC84C3198422E7BE0935E98.jpg[/image]

scout1 -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/20/2018 10:51:03 PM)

Is true from my travels ...... for some reason, English food is terribly bland ....... like they lost the recipe ... hence the need to conquer new territories and bring flavor back to the home islands ....
quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

The major impetus - to expanded into an Empire that included Hong Kong, India, the Caribbean, and the Middle East merely to import a good cuisine.

And now all my questions have been answered. At last I can sleep tonight.[:D]

MakeeLearn -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/21/2018 12:09:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

I have hand tools made in Germany and made in Japan that are superb. Japanese saws are as unique as they are functional. Canada and the US are also showing quality, in making some of the older tools and newer designs.

Any country can make quality goods; any country can make junk. It's a matter of what they think the customers are willing to pay for.

Correct sir !

Further in many many industries such as the Auto Industry all the "quality parts" are subcontracted. So the water pump in a Ford / GM / Toyota / Volkswagen is actually the same part manufactured by "i.e. Magna International - somewhere". Ergo a Collision Airbag recall affects multiple brands of cars.

This is equally true in almost all durable goods. Fridges, Wood Planes, Tools, Stoves... you name it. Electronics perhaps less so where a few large factories in China South Korea Indonesia dominate the market and 'multi brand'.

Yes it has been that way. Resources, parts and finished product shipped from place of origin to another place for packaging and selling.

I worked in a very small company that assembled power seat motor frames for Fords. We then shipped these to where the seats were being assembled. Our motors were from different places in Asia. Some of same model motors were from different makers. And in some cases different motor models could be swapped when there was a shortage.

Dog food and treats are being made in bulk in one place and then shipped to various places to be packaged "Made in...".

Multiple brands of Central Air Units are made in the same factory.

Until the embargo, Japan took US scrap metal and "Made in Japan" their means for fighting WW2.

Even the consumer can do it. I have nice wooden hand planes "Made in China" that have below par metal blades. So I use German, US or Canadian steel in them.

quote:

One exception to the rule.

English Cuisine.

The English have been unable to manufacture a cuisine since the time of Victoria the 1st

The food market is one of the biggest MADE WHERE? with what?

A few years ago in one Italian bust alone, authorities broke up a criminal gang sitting on $8 million worth of fake Olive oil. Made with who knows what shipped from who knows where.

MakeeLearn -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/21/2018 12:12:06 AM)

Some shelving to do...

Book-lover heaven

[image]local://upfiles/55056/1D33AD984865408889B11355C70F5B43.jpg[/image]

Zorch -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/21/2018 12:41:49 AM)

quote:

Some shelving to do...

Book-lover heaven

[image]local://upfiles/55056/1D33AD984865408889B11355C70F5B43.jpg[/image]

Careful the pages might stick together...and the binding looks very fragile.

BBfanboy -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/21/2018 2:35:10 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

I have hand tools made in Germany and made in Japan that are superb. Japanese saws are as unique as they are functional. Canada and the US are also showing quality, in making some of the older tools and newer designs.

Any country can make quality goods; any country can make junk. It's a matter of what they think the customers are willing to pay for.

Correct sir !

Further in many many industries such as the Auto Industry all the "quality parts" are subcontracted. So the water pump in a Ford / GM / Toyota / Volkswagen is actually the same part manufactured by "i.e. Magna International - somewhere". Ergo a Collision Airbag recall affects multiple brands of cars.

This is equally true in almost all durable goods. Fridges, Wood Planes, Tools, Stoves... you name it. Electronics perhaps less so where a few large factories in China South Korea Indonesia dominate the market and 'multi brand'.

Yes it has been that way. Resources, parts and finished product shipped from place of origin to another place for packaging and selling.

I worked in a very small company that assembled power seat motor frames for Fords. We then shipped these to where the seats were being assembled. Our motors were from different places in Asia. Some of same model motors were from different makers. And in some cases different motor models could be swapped when there was a shortage.

Dog food and treats are being made in bulk in one place and then shipped to various places to be packaged "Made in...".

Multiple brands of Central Air Units are made in the same factory.

Until the embargo, Japan took US scrap metal and "Made in Japan" their means for fighting WW2.

Even the consumer can do it. I have nice wooden hand planes "Made in China" that have below par metal blades. So I use German, US or Canadian steel in them.

quote:

One exception to the rule.

English Cuisine.

The English have been unable to manufacture a cuisine since the time of Victoria the 1st

The food market is one of the biggest MADE WHERE? with what?

A few years ago in one Italian bust alone, authorities broke up a criminal gang sitting on $8 million worth of fake Olive oil. Made with who knows what shipped from who knows where.

Fake olive oil - and I thought I had heard it all!

On a similar note, COSTCO was selling chicken and duck jerky treats made in China. We bought some for our elderly Jack Russell terrier and he gobbled them up. But over a period of time he began to go downhill and eventually died of kidney failure. We later learned that those jerky treats were laced with the chemicals used in auto anti-freeze to preserve them. The report said this stuff causes kidney failure, so we will always wonder if our dog died from old age or the jerky treats. I imagine it was a combination of both. [:(]

MakeeLearn -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/21/2018 2:45:04 PM)

Fake Olive oil is a big business. There have been several large arrests in the past few years. Some of the more expensive brands are the biggest fakes.

Even with real Olive oil there is fakery. Non-Italian Olives in the Mediterranean are harvested and then sent to Italy for processing into oil, so that "From Italy" can be put on the bottle.

With the dog food and treats, several scandals resulting in sickness and deaths of pets in the past few years. Fraud and lethality are increasing in human food as well.

Chickenboy -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/21/2018 3:22:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

On a similar note, COSTCO was selling chicken and duck jerky treats made in China. We bought some for our elderly Jack Russell terrier and he gobbled them up. But over a period of time he began to go downhill and eventually died of kidney failure. We later learned that those jerky treats were laced with the chemicals used in auto anti-freeze to preserve them. The report said this stuff causes kidney failure, so we will always wonder if our dog died from old age or the jerky treats. I imagine it was a combination of both. [:(]

This must have been many years ago-before the Melamine issues of mid-2000s. I haven't seen Chinese origin dog treats in Costco since then.

rockmedic109 -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/21/2018 6:08:52 PM)

It is not limited to foods in China.

One of my daughters {we adopted two from China}, has her medical record noted as having had all of her required shots on the exact day they were supposed to be given {ie, six months to the day}. The writing and ink is all exactly the same from the many different days. Even in such a regimented society, this level of precision does not easily pass a sniff test. And she tested has having no anti-bodies of the shots in question. If she even got the shots, they were useless or fake. Say what you will about the FDA waiting too long for drug approval and causing increased costs, at least you can be reasonably sure that the medicine is what it's supposed to be.

Chickenboy -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/21/2018 8:29:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

It is not limited to foods in China.

One of my daughters {we adopted two from China}, has her medical record noted as having had all of her required shots on the exact day they were supposed to be given {ie, six months to the day}. The writing and ink is all exactly the same from the many different days. Even in such a regimented society, this level of precision does not easily pass a sniff test. And she tested has having no anti-bodies of the shots in question. If she even got the shots, they were useless or fake. Say what you will about the FDA waiting too long for drug approval and causing increased costs, at least you can be reasonably sure that the medicine is what it's supposed to be.

Yup. I forget where I read it, but something like 60-70% of the pharmaceuticals sold in India, China and Sub-saharan Africa are counterfeit.

RangerJoe -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/21/2018 8:54:10 PM)

quote:

In the US Army, it indicated that I had a Yellow Fever vaccine on a certain day that my entire unit received one. I did not know that they had even gotten the shots. When I went to my next duty station, I told them that I did not receive it and I asked for it. I did get it but it could have been trouble if I went somewhere it was more prevalent.

jwolf -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/21/2018 8:55:16 PM)

There was a big scandal in Brazil, maybe 15-20 years ago, involving fake birth control pills and a wave of unexpected pregnancies and a sort of mini baby boom. I suspect that drug quality control, outside of the first world, is non-existent except for the most politically connected elites.

RangerJoe -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/21/2018 11:20:37 PM)

Why do you think that most of them come to the US for care?

geofflambert -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/23/2018 12:41:38 AM)

I sometimes recommend music. One day I was on lunch break and turned on the local public radio channel, KWMU, which at that time just played orchestral music. I was in my car and well into this I parked in the company parking lot and listened to the end of this. I was late getting back from my lunch, but I was management and didn't punch a clock. Anyways, once it was over I, on company time, called up KWMU and talked to the DJ and asked "What the f--- was that?!?" I had never heard of Camille St. Saens. I give you The Orgel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWCZq33BrOo

RangerJoe -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/23/2018 2:00:19 AM)

If I listened to music like that when I drive, I would be liable to fall asleep.

However, something to think about is whether the name of this song is related to the people in the video. Does it refer to the little girls changing their appearance so drastically?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGu6v2OjW8s

geofflambert -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/23/2018 2:07:13 AM)

I'm really old now and fall asleep easily, but not when there's a lot of noise.

BBfanboy -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/23/2018 5:12:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I sometimes recommend music. One day I was on lunch break and turned on the local public radio channel, KWMU, which at that time just played orchestral music. I was in my car and well into this I parked in the company parking lot and listened to the end of this. I was late getting back from my lunch, but I was management and didn't punch a clock. Anyways, once it was over I, on company time, called up KWMU and talked to the DJ and asked "What the f--- was that?!?" I had never heard of Camille St. Saens. I give you The Orgel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWCZq33BrOo

You would probably recognize Danse Macabre by Saint Saens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71fZhMXlGT4

MakeeLearn -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/23/2018 2:05:38 PM)

[image]local://upfiles/55056/AF9907EFD2AC4D48A42494B199C2493B.jpg[/image]

BBfanboy -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/23/2018 2:14:36 PM)

quote:

[image]local://upfiles/55056/AF9907EFD2AC4D48A42494B199C2493B.jpg[/image]

An ear worm!

Lecivius -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/23/2018 2:46:26 PM)

Now that's funny right there [:D]

Chickenboy -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/23/2018 3:20:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

If I listened to music like that when I drive, I would be liable to fall asleep.

However, something to think about is whether the name of this song is related to the people in the video. Does it refer to the little girls changing their appearance so drastically?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGu6v2OjW8s

How would you feel about sleep after listening to this piece? [;)]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiV3J_e977Q

If memory suits, the film also involves the changing of two little girls' appearance quite 'drastically'. After they had been 'corrected'.

Now I'll have to go back to Berlios' Dies Erie to hear the non-synthesized version.

ETA: Here it is-as part of the Symphonie Fantastique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Kky5BC9Uk

BBfanboy -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/23/2018 5:41:58 PM)

The Chicago Symphony is not paying their conductor enough! He should be well enough compensated to be able to go to a hair stylist and to rent a tux!

Chickenboy -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/23/2018 6:21:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

The Chicago Symphony is not paying their conductor enough! He should be well enough compensated to be able to go to a hair stylist and to rent a tux!

He appeared to be comfortable enough to conduct in his pajamas, so I'd say he's doing OK by himself. [;)]

MakeeLearn -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/28/2018 5:53:36 PM)

I don't use it. A great idea, even more is to be built into the screen already.

[image]local://upfiles/55056/9DA30A40DB49430DAB4409F362A886A4.jpg[/image]

Chickenboy -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/28/2018 7:57:43 PM)

Ugh...

Cargo explodes during unloading of xAK Izan Maru at Shanghai

rockmedic109 -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/28/2018 8:32:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Ugh...

Cargo explodes during unloading of xAK Izan Maru at Shanghai

Could be worse. Might have been AE Mount Hood explodes at Ulithi. Then listing 36 other ships that were damaged.

RangerJoe -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/28/2018 9:20:58 PM)

"Mount Hood was anchored in approximately 35 feet of water. The force of the explosion blasted a trench in the harbor bottom, reported by divers as 1000 feet long, 200 feet wide and 85 feet maximum depth. In the trench was found the largest piece of the ship’s hull- a piece less than 100 feet in it’s longest dimension. Destruction was complete. Nothing was found after the explosion except fragments of metal which struck other ships. There were no bits of human remains, no supplies of any kind, nothing that had been made of wood or paper, with the single exception of a few tattered pieces of a signal notebook, floating on the water several hundred yards away.

The flying fragments from Mount Hood smashed into some 30 other ships and harbor craft bringing the total casualties to nearly 1000 killed or wounded. Some of the harbor craft simply vanished with all hands…"

USS Mount Hood and crew lost in massive explosion

RangerJoe -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/28/2018 9:27:22 PM)

quote:

Cause of the Accident:
Since the possibility of enemy action appears to have been remote, the most probable cause of the accident was rough handling of the ammunition while loading or unloading. The propagation of the explosion was undoubtedly increased by inadequate separation and segregation of incompatible items in stowage. Evidence indicates the possibility of the detonation of TPX loaded depth bombs while it was being loaded into the number three or number four hold. Detonation could have been caused by striking the hatch with the bombs on the way down or dropping them into the hold carelessly.

Selected documents relating to the loss of USS Mount Hood

Chickenboy -> RE: OT Thighs to ponder (7/28/2018 9:31:03 PM)

Did she blow up on Ulithi or Manus (in the Admiralties)?

Page: <<   < prev  149 150 [151] 152 153   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI