RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Scenario Design and Modding

TheBattlefield -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/2/2017 5:03:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sad ham

In my opinion fleets should be square counters similar to the army counters. It would be more homogeneous and (always in my opinion) more elegant.

Thank you for your interest, sad ham. (And again thank you for your flag link!)
Yes. We also like the square counters. The ships in their current form were a long voting process. We were ( without exception) agreed that for this game we did not want any ugly mini-pixel-pictures or silhouettes for the beautiful sailing ships of the Napoleonic period. Thus, the square counter quickly separated because it would simply be too little space for the ships and the markings on it. I had initially preferred a hex form, but that would be too avangardistic without an adaptation of the land units. In line with SIPRES counter mod we chose the open contemporary banner form. We find a quite good compromise, because an oversized square shape looked really inelegant! I hope you can get used over time to the new appearance of the ship counter...
[:)]

OxfordGuy3 -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/2/2017 5:13:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheBattlefield

quote:

In my opinion fleets should be square counters similar to the army counters. It would be more homogeneous and (always in my opinion) more elegant.

Thank you for your interest, sad ham. (And again thank you for your flag link!)
Yes. We also like the square counters. The ships in their current form were a long voting process. We were ( without exception) agreed that for this game we did not want any ugly mini-pixel-pictures or silhouettes for the beautiful sailing ships of the Napoleonic period. Thus, the square counter quickly separated because it would simply be too little space for the ships and the markings on it. I had initially preferred a hex form, but that would be too avangardistic without an adaptation of the land units. In line with SIPRES counter mod we chose the open contemporary banner form. We find a quite good compromise, because an oversized square shape looked really inelegant! I hope you can get used over time to the new appearance of the ship counter...

Good summary of how things evolved! :-)

SIPRES -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/2/2017 5:49:24 PM)

On the road to Leipzig???

[image]local://upfiles/52197/2345C30F462843F59AC062F3D57D4F22.jpg[/image]

SIPRES -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/2/2017 5:50:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: oxford_guy

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheBattlefield

[:D] LOL. You're also a T-Rex, mate!

Better this way?

[image]local://upfiles/54485/51E4E8410ECF4C59B6F9E9DAECA31764.jpg[/image]

Yes! :-)

+1

Ironclad -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/3/2017 6:23:38 AM)

This is such an impressive effort and I'm really looking forward to the end result.

OxfordGuy3 -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/3/2017 9:33:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SIPRES

On the road to Leipzig???

[image]local://upfiles/52197/2345C30F462843F59AC062F3D57D4F22.jpg[/image]

Nice, though why does one of the Austrian's look like he's wearing a comedy St. Patrick's Day hat? :-)

Ironclad -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/3/2017 10:43:10 AM)

I like the hexagonal design for the ship counters and appreciate the logic about giving more room on the counter compared to a square one that would fit inside a hex. It is an elegant solution and if you are not using icons (my normal preference but more than happy to work with clear and attractive counters - especially for a different period than normal) its a neat way also of instantly recognising fleet units as compared to land ones when near the coast when confusion may occur.

The only complication that occurs to me would be if the design size led to critical hex information being obscured and for most sea hexes that isn't an issue. Just one thought, rather than listing the rating at the base of the counter, why not put the number of the rating on a forward sail? Maybe less pretty but it might give you some scope to slightly reduce the size of the counter, if that would help.

Forgive me for asking a question which I suspect has already been raised earlier but what do the large cross straps on the infantry counters represent; only they do seem to diminish the rest of the design?

SIPRES -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/3/2017 2:48:37 PM)

I am afraid its a Tyrol Insurgent wich I would use as Austrian "partisan"
I may change the hat or figure as I found also a little bit too much "fantasy" style

[image]local://upfiles/52197/427BF77F19794B3187A5C5077B27941D.jpg[/image]

SIPRES -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/3/2017 2:52:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ironclad

I like the hexagonal design for the ship counters and appreciate the logic about giving more room on the counter compared to a square one that would fit inside a hex. It is an elegant solution and if you are not using icons (my normal preference but more than happy to work with clear and attractive counters - especially for a different period than normal) its a neat way also of instantly recognising fleet units as compared to land ones when near the coast when confusion may occur.

The only complication that occurs to me would be if the design size led to critical hex information being obscured and for most sea hexes that isn't an issue. Just one thought, rather than listing the rating at the base of the counter, why not put the number of the rating on a forward sail? Maybe less pretty but it might give you some scope to slightly reduce the size of the counter, if that would help.

Forgive me for asking a question which I suspect has already been raised earlier but what do the large cross straps on the infantry counters represent; only they do seem to diminish the rest of the design?

the straps are mainly here to differentiate INF vs CAV
its sometimes difficult to see difference between AUSTRIAN line infantry (1805) and Austrian Dragon (both wore helmets)
So the figure itself was not sufficient
Same story with the Prussian Dragoon vs Line Infantry.

TheBattlefield -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/3/2017 7:38:55 PM)

Bastion Forts and Heavy Bastion Forts. "Transport" and "AV" ship...

New fonts remain a weak point of the engine. After a long search I found a font which is pictured by the game engine, in order to recognize that it is trimmed above and below. Very frustrating...

[image]local://upfiles/54485/4F8E0859A1DF43F18E4BADF1756275FC.jpg[/image]

OxfordGuy3 -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/3/2017 7:42:24 PM)

quote:

I am afraid its a Tyrol Insurgent wich I would use as Austrian "partisan"
I may change the hat or figure as I found also a little bit too much "fantasy" style

[image]local://upfiles/52197/427BF77F19794B3187A5C5077B27941D.jpg[/image]

Might look okay if you lost the feathers?

Ironclad -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/4/2017 2:19:54 PM)

I have just realised that the hexagonal naval counters in their final form are transparent (I'm quick like that!) Forget my suggestion for a slight modification as they look really great.

Ironclad -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/4/2017 2:41:48 PM)

Are you going to be using a double strike rate for any units? Guard (Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery) and Heavy Cavalry might be appropriate for this subject to reaching a suitable high level of relevant warfare technology.

SIPRES -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/14/2017 6:58:35 PM)

Dear All,

Since several weeks, we dont have anymore news about Kirk wich is the owner of Rise and fall MOD.
I really do hope, nothing serious happens to him.[&:]
Battlefield and Myself we did prepare a lot of graphics on Napoleonic period (still on going), But we actually cant finish the MOD without Kirk
(I have no issues doing graphics, but scripts and campaign writing are something I cant handle)
We have no other choices to put this MOD "ON HOLD" until Kirk return[:(]

Christophe

Hairog -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/14/2017 10:21:39 PM)

Bummer!

OxfordGuy3 -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/15/2017 7:51:19 AM)

Here's hoping for the return of Kirk, was really looking forward to this Mod

Iņaki Harrizabalagatar -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/15/2017 3:51:15 PM)

I wonder, what about making a small campaign Napoleonic scenario with a new map and smaller map scale?

sad ham -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/15/2017 4:18:58 PM)

Maybe the project was too ambitious.[:(]

SIPRES -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/15/2017 4:43:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iņaki Harrizabalagatar

I wonder, what about making a small campaign Napoleonic scenario with a new map and smaller map scale?

you mean something like 1813 campaign (maybe brigade scale)?
its something I was wondering about, but I am just doing graphics....

In case you can do it and need some counters artwork (Swedish, Prussians ect.. then I can help you.
But in such case I think you should start a new thread for a new MOD.

I still hope Kirk will come back and then we can continue the R&F MOD

SIPRES -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/15/2017 4:57:40 PM)

quote:

You are right, I think its a difficult MOD.
But still do able.

My feeling is the diplomacy management and events can be a nightmare (Many nations involved, some of them switch side several times ect..)

Iņaki Harrizabalagatar -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/15/2017 6:08:14 PM)

quote:

you mean something like 1813 campaign (maybe brigade scale)?
its something I was wondering about, but I am just doing graphics....

In case you can do it and need some counters artwork (Swedish, Prussians ect.. then I can help you.
But in such case I think you should start a new thread for a new MOD.

I still hope Kirk will come back and then we can continue the R&F MOD

No, it was just a suggestion to anyone willing to do it.

TheBattlefield -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/15/2017 6:31:26 PM)

quote:

Do you think Kirk has overrated his possibilities and is now on the run? This is something I do not really imagine. He has already delivered several mods and has always been enthusiastic about his possibilities...and he was not alone.

[sm=sad-1361.gif]

sad ham -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/15/2017 8:45:52 PM)

I hope not. I really would like to have and play this mod. Anyway is strange that somebody disappears without tell anything to his partners in this project.
Don't you have his phone number or any way to contact him?

TheBattlefield -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/15/2017 9:06:39 PM)

Unfortunately not. Communication took place exclusively via the Matrix-messenger.

warspite1 -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/17/2017 6:32:59 AM)

I tried to PM him but it came up not a valid address [&:] I do hope Kirk is okay.

BillRunacre -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/20/2017 3:24:07 PM)

It's certainly a shame if Kirk doesn't return. [&:]

quote:

This is a good suggestion, maybe someone with a little spare time can have a go at something small, as it may even encourage other modders to come forth and fill Kirk's place if he doesn't reappear.

I have thought before about the Napoleonic wars and taken as a whole they are rather large and requiring lots of work, but considering individual campaigns should make it far more achievable, and larger campaigns could then be built from there perhaps.

Maybe even starting with a battle just to get the juices flowing?

TheBattlefield -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/20/2017 5:51:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Runacre

It's certainly a shame if Kirk doesn't return. [&:]

quote:

This is a good suggestion, maybe someone with a little spare time can have a go at something small, as it may even encourage other modders to come forth and fill Kirk's place if he doesn't reappear.

I have thought before about the Napoleonic wars and taken as a whole they are rather large and requiring lots of work, but considering individual campaigns should make it far more achievable, and larger campaigns could then be built from there perhaps.

Maybe even starting with a battle just to get the juices flowing?

I want to be fair. The whole project was somehow Kirk's baby. Apart from a few graphic creations and basic help in the sense of a forge of ideas, SIPRES and I (so far) have had only a very small part of the campaign. No one knows what happened to Kirk. He could indeed have been torn from his normal everyday life by very tragic events. It's the way it is. An indefinite pause of all work on this project was the logical consequence. Everything else, including the production of a small Napoleonic battle, seemed too desperate to us in view of the task at hand. Of course, we also raise thoughts about the targeted genre. Of course we were hooked by our work...and frustrated by the early end.

And, of course, SIPRES and I quickly found a new operating field. Even more demanding in the project but (hopefully) easier in the finalization. As branded children, we have not hanged our intentions again to the big bell and leave us a lot of time with the (enormous) work. But we have fun and ensure our progress regularly in a dropbox - accessible to everyone involved. When the time has come, there will be a little eyecandy for all. And we will call for help in time if we need it at a later date. But until then the new campaign should have a worthy and complete basic framework.

kirk23 -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/25/2017 7:31:48 AM)

Guys So sorry I have been absent for a while,because I had a bad fall while out Skiing! I have been in hospital for a Month,with 2 broken legs,a broken arm,3 broken ribs and a fractured skull! So I have not been in any fit state to work on the mod, but hopefully that will change in the near future,after I recover more from my injuries.[;)]

sPzAbt653 -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/25/2017 8:26:46 AM)

Man, that sounds awful. Glad to hear you are recovering [:)]

Cataphract88 -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (2/25/2017 8:48:13 AM)

That's a long list of breakages, Kirk, Get well soon!

Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI