RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Scenario Design and Modding

TheBattlefield -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/26/2017 12:45:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hairog

Sorry if this has already been brought up. My search function isn't working in this forum.

Have mobile supply depots been discussed and how your are going to model them? I suggest that they were key to Napoleonic warfare.

Good idea. But every "special ability" (dive, fly, shipping, rail, airdrop, supply, etc.) of a unit is hard coded. If you know a "work around", please tell me.
I believe that this function (in the current scale and abstraction of the great campaign) is quite well represented by the headquarters. In a campaign a la Waterloo may look quite different again.
Thanks for your feedback, Hairog. How is your impression of our work so far?
[8D]

OxfordGuy3 -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/26/2017 12:48:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheBattlefield

quote:

Sorry if this has already been brought up. My search function isn't working in this forum.

Have mobile supply depots been discussed and how your are going to model them? I suggest that they were key to Napoleonic warfare.

Good idea. But every "special ability" (dive, fly, shipping, rail, airdrop, supply, etc.) of a unit is hard coded. If you know a "work around", please tell me.
I believe that this function (in the current scale and abstraction of the great campaign) is quite well represented by the headquarters. In a campaign a la Waterloo may look quite different again.
[8D]

I'd be inclined to agree that, at this scale, the HQs already do a good job of this

Iņaki Harrizabalagatar -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/26/2017 2:05:08 PM)

IMO since you are using figures as icons, it would be best to use them to differentiate units and sizes, you already did this with cavalry (no need of L or H to pick an Hussar from cuirassier). For instance, use one figure for brigade, 2 for division aand so on.

TheBattlefield -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/26/2017 2:35:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iņaki Harrizabalagatar

IMO since you are using figures as icons, it would be best to use them to differentiate units and sizes, you already did this with cavalry (no need of L or H to pick an Hussar from cuirassier). For instance, use one figure for brigade, 2 for division aand so on.

Good idea if you are using soldier miniatures. But it will be a problem using sculptured units. A problem of space on a tiny counter and a problem of graphic aesthetics. Maybe multilayered and slightly displaced shadows of the unit. But I'm fine with the "X" symbol for different sizes of the same (infantry) unit and a "task" icon for special and support units.

SIPRES -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/26/2017 6:02:29 PM)

Thank you all for feedback

I have seen a problem with tech values display (white text) against the infantry stripe
So I add a dark blue frame for values display (see the Brigade INF compared with the Division one)
I add a "sabretache" for hussard (light CAV)
Nothing yet for dragoons (still thinking, I wonder blade + carbine will maybe difficult to distinguish, I need something more compact)
I add a cuirass for heavy CAV but.... its little bit redundant with the Cuirassier picture, so will see.
I scale up a little the 2 pistols for Guerrilla partisan counter

Any idea for Militia instead of the ugly "M"?

[image]local://upfiles/52197/981EC1B8017E4AF580BBE730422FE3C3.jpg[/image]

SIPRES -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/26/2017 6:19:50 PM)

quote:

quote:

Iņaki Harrizabalagatar

Hello Iņaki Harrizabalagatar

I do agree with you for cavalry units, but I am not sure some player could differentiate Hussard vs Dragoon or cuirassier if they dont know well Napoleonic uniforms, this is why I wanted to add some distinction item or symbol.

For unit size (mainly Line infantry brigade/Division/corps) I could change the unit portrait for each ones, instead of a generic image.
This could be easy for French, British, Austrians ect... but I expect to have problem for Ottomans as I have some difficulties to find sufficient pictures on ottoman soldiers of Napoleonic wars.

will see

TheBattlefield -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/26/2017 6:49:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SIPRES

Whatever size this unit has, please try to use the suitable "X" sign in a different color. (Militia often used as infantry reserve so they should have a uniformly look with the line infantry)

[sm=character0267.gif]

Iņaki Harrizabalagatar -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/26/2017 7:12:04 PM)

quote:

I do agree with you for cavalry units, but I am not sure some player could differentiate Hussard vs Dragoon or cuirassier if they dont know well Napoleonic uniforms, this is why I wanted to add some distinction item or symbol.

For unit size (mainly Line infantry brigade/Division/corps) I could change the unit portrait for each ones, instead of a generic image.
This could be easy for French, British, Austrians ect... but I expect to have problem for Ottomans as I have some difficulties to find sufficient pictures on ottoman soldiers of Napoleonic wars.

will see

I understand your concerns, but I think anyone playing the mod will have the basic knowledge to differentieate them. I hope you do not cloud with too many symbols those beautiful icons you did, IMO ideally differents units/sizes would be recognizable just by the different portraits, leaving additionally only numbers for strength and upgrades.

SIPRES -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/26/2017 7:29:59 PM)

quote:

quote:

Whatever size this unit has, please try to use the suitable "X" sign in a different color. (Militia often used as infantry reserve so they should have a uniformly look with the line infantry)

[sm=character0267.gif]

huumm..
I wanted to avoid too many colors on counters due to the fact that most of basic colors will be used for Background and then I expect some "melting effect with the colored X

I am not sure to understand what you mean with militia, using same picture as line Infantry?
I was thinking instead to use some nice prussian/Austrian Landwher picture, Opolchenie for Russians ect..
For France I use Bicorn hat unit as it was the case for the garde Nationale of Paris.

I agree with you the militia, reserve, or depot Battaillon were finally droped to the line but not always wearing same uniform (up to country)

SIPRES -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/26/2017 7:36:30 PM)

quote:

quote:

will see

I understand your concerns, but I think anyone playing the mod will have the basic knowledge to differentieate them. I hope you do not cloud with too many symbols those beautiful icons you did, IMO ideally differents units/sizes would be recognizable just by the different portraits, leaving additionally only numbers for strength and upgrades.

Your right, I dont want to overload "too much" the counters, I think it kills readability
Anyway not so much pixels available, and I expect many trouble on scale down for zoom version
Its a shame that game designer dont include an additional zoom level

OxfordGuy3 -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/26/2017 8:01:32 PM)

quote:

Thank you all for feedback

I have seen a problem with tech values display (white text) against the infantry stripe
So I add a dark blue frame for values display (see the Brigade INF compared with the Division one)
I add a "sabretache" for hussard (light CAV)
Nothing yet for dragoons (still thinking, I wonder blade + carbine will maybe difficult to distinguish, I need something more compact)
I add a cuirass for heavy CAV but.... its little bit redundant with the Cuirassier picture, so will see.
I scale up a little the 2 pistols for Guerrilla partisan counter

[image]local://upfiles/52197/981EC1B8017E4AF580BBE730422FE3C3.jpg[/image]

I think your solution for the tech display works well

Love the "sabretache" on the hussar unit!

I don't have any better suggestions for the others yet

OxfordGuy3 -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/26/2017 8:06:01 PM)

BTW having thought about it, I think just have the different X/XX/XXX values (as long as displayed clearly) is probably going to be enough to distinguish the units, they looks wonderful as is and too much clutter or mismash of colours will probably ruin that.

BTW very important for us Sharpe fans, is there going to be a separate counter for British Rifles (probably a Brigade strength unit)? :-)

TheBattlefield -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/26/2017 8:23:58 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

[sm=character0267.gif]

huumm..
I wanted to avoid too many colors on counters due to the fact that most of basic colors will be used for Background and then I expect some "melting effect with the colored X

I am not sure to understand what you mean with militia, using same picture as line Infantry?
I was thinking instead to use some nice prussian/Austrian Landwher picture, Opolchenie for Russians ect..
For France I use Bicorn hat unit as it was the case for the garde Nationale of Paris.

I agree with you the militia, reserve, or depot Battaillon were finally droped to the line but not always wearing same uniform (up to country)

Noooooo. Not a different uniform or picture. Leave it as it is. I mean a size-suitable "X" instead of "M" to reflect a kind of line infantry. And different (or lighter or darker or shaded or whatever) color for the "X" to reflect a reserve (weaker) status. Troop identity. Get it? [:D][;)]

SIPRES -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/26/2017 8:47:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: oxford_guy

BTW having thought about it, I think just have the different X/XX/XXX values (as long as displayed clearly) is probably going to be enough to distinguish the units, they looks wonderful as is and too much clutter or mismash of colours will probably ruin that.

BTW very important for us Sharpe fans, is there going to be a separate counter for British Rifles (probably a Brigade strength unit)? :-)

Hello Oxford guy

dont worry you will get your green jackets (as soon as I start the british file), I plan to use Riflemen Graphics as British skirmisher unit slot.

SIPRES -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/26/2017 8:49:55 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

[sm=character0267.gif]

huumm..

Noooooo. Not a different uniform or picture. Leave it as it is. I mean a size-suitable "X" instead of "M" to reflect a kind of line infantry. And different (or lighter or darker or shaded or whatever) color for the "X" to reflect a reserve (weaker) status. Troop identity. Get it? [:D][;)]

I see, maybe a smaller X or faded, I will do some try and in parallel still thinking about any Icon.

OxfordGuy3 -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/26/2017 8:53:58 PM)

quote:

quote:

Hello Oxford guy

dont worry you will get your green jackets (as soon as I start the british file), I plan to use Riflemen Graphics as British skirmisher unit slot.

Hurrah! Has to be done! :-)

Hairog -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/26/2017 9:36:27 PM)

quote:

quote:

[8D]

You're absolutely right TheBattlefield. Headquarter units will work just fine I hadn't thought about that.

My impression is that you guys are doing a wonderful job. The graphics are amazing, and I think the game flow will work quite well with your concept. This is going to be a great mod. I can tell already.

Its so fantastic that Hubert has included such a great editor.

TheBattlefield -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/27/2017 8:49:34 PM)

Because of a problem with SIPRES modified experience points and some other difficulties, the counter of the ships had to be completely redesigned. A lot of work, but now everything fits and there are also no more overlaps...
[:)]

[image]local://upfiles/54485/F989235F7FD34822B418ABE154DC722A.jpg[/image]

OxfordGuy3 -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/27/2017 8:52:36 PM)

quote:

Because of a problem with SIPRES modified experience points and some other difficulties, the counter of the ships had to be completely redesigned. A lot of work, but now everything fits and there are also no more overlaps...

Those ship counters look amazing! Well done!

OxfordGuy3 -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/27/2017 8:54:47 PM)

quote:

BTW do you have any pics of one ship directly above another one? I think it will work with these new counters, though!

Also - please do the English land counters next, can't stand the suspense! :-)

TheBattlefield -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/27/2017 11:20:58 PM)

Check!
[:D]

[image]local://upfiles/54485/2AC84A63A2754A19983DB75014294BDF.jpg[/image]

OxfordGuy3 -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/27/2017 11:30:31 PM)

quote:

Check!
[:D]

[image]local://upfiles/54485/2AC84A63A2754A19983DB75014294BDF.jpg[/image]

Perfect!

SIPRES -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/28/2017 4:23:10 PM)

quote:

quote:

BTW do you have any pics of one ship directly above another one? I think it will work with these new counters, though!

Very good job Battlefield, The counter is clear, nice, and the National banner is perfect.
Looks like I have to do the Brits Land counters next

OxfordGuy3 -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/28/2017 5:23:53 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Very good job Battlefield, The counter is clear, nice, and the National banner is perfect.
Looks like I have to do the Brits Land counters next

[:D][:D][:D][:D]

BillRunacre -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/29/2017 4:22:56 PM)

Very impressive work! [:)]

SIPRES -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/29/2017 5:23:58 PM)

Hello Bill,

Still a lot to do.
The editor is very flexible and the fact that we can MOD all graphics is really a good fun.

If there is a chance (on future update) to add even more Graphics flexibility for minors nations, this could be great.
Something like to choose between 4 different Bitmaps folders for AXIS and 4 different Bitmaps folders for ALLIED.

This could fix my Graphic display for Wurtembergers, Bavarians, Napolitans ect......
And could enhance also the WW2 version (Romanians, Finns, ect...)

Thx for your comments

SIPRES -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/29/2017 8:10:48 PM)

The Brits (on going).......

[image]local://upfiles/52197/0CD8EB915BCB4C82BE0A630211C8C309.jpg[/image]

TheBattlefield -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/29/2017 9:54:36 PM)

The British navy also sails. Together with a Privateer and an Armed Merchantmen of the Coalition...

[image]local://upfiles/54485/FE16A29327E04FF39EA4E876FF114ED1.jpg[/image]

Cataphract88 -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/29/2017 10:04:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Runacre

Very impressive work! [:)]

+1

It sure is.

OxfordGuy3 -> RE: The Rise and Fall Of An Empire! (1/30/2017 12:56:11 PM)

quote:

The Brits (on going).......

[image]local://upfiles/52197/0CD8EB915BCB4C82BE0A630211C8C309.jpg[/image]

Good first pass, though not as polished and clear as the French counters yet. Nice to see the green jackets in there :-)

Are you trying out two different shades of red for the counter? Most the counters have a pinkish hue to them, whereas one (it a Guards counter?) looks a less pink/darker red?

Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI