RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Bif1961 -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 2:42:41 PM)

33% hits with torpedoes sounds about right against stationary targets. Almost all your Kates carried torpedoes, hitting 43 times out off 130 dropped. However it would be interesting to run the same attack without the float planes and see if the results are the same.

Lowpe -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 2:53:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xargun

Interested in your Naval and merchant ship plans - what are you accelerating and stopping ?
it

You can't do anything on turn 1; so I haven't given it much thought.

Shinano is a question. Yamoto is too. Scenario 1 so it will take me a while to go thru the list.

Lowpe -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 2:56:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

33% hits with torpedoes sounds about right against stationary targets. Almost all your Kates carried torpedoes, hitting 43 times out off 130 dropped. However it would be interesting to run the same attack without the float planes and see if the results are the same.

I think I was getting 18-20 torpedo hits prior to daytime recon; with daytime recon it jumped up to 24 but the runway damage and damaged planes jumped 30 percent.

A lot depends how many 800kg bomb drops there are...the best strike saw 3 BB sunk outright and it had the highest amount of 800 kg bomb drops. Almost all strikes result in 0 BB going down.

ny59giants -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 3:14:05 PM)

1EyedJack put the BCs and CAs in TF2 to bombard Pearl with "Remain on Station" to ensure they attacked after the bombing. They did very well in damaging the AF more.

Lokasenna -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 3:14:09 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

The Japanese Economy at game start. I already spent almost 300,000 supply expanding vehicles and engines.

I want to expand Light Industry in this game. More details coming after turn 1.

Any ideas of where you would expand? Don't think expanding in the Home Islands would help that much as you just have to haul more resources home - thus use more fuel. But perhaps in southern China, Kwangtung or even Luzon might work. Provided you don't have to haul resources there.

In my most recent game, I've expanded LI by a fair margin by April 1942. All expansion was in China or Manchuria. I expanded by at least 470.

Lowpe -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 3:21:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

1EyedJack put the BCs and CAs in TF2 to bombard Pearl with "Remain on Station" to ensure they attacked after the bombing. They did very well in damaging the AF more.

I thought of that, but I prefer keeping them with their ammo full for a hopefully meaningful night battle.

Lowpe -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 3:23:07 PM)

quote:

quote:

The Japanese Economy at game start. I already spent almost 300,000 supply expanding vehicles and engines.

Any ideas of where you would expand? Don't think expanding in the Home Islands would help that much as you just have to haul more resources home - thus use more fuel. But perhaps in southern China, Kwangtung or even Luzon might work. Provided you don't have to haul resources there.

Korea and Manchuria primarily. I was thinking of approximately 300 points, since this is scenario 1. At present that number is a swag.

Lowpe -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 3:24:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

In my most recent game, I've expanded LI by a fair margin by April 1942. All expansion was in China or Manchuria. I expanded by at least 470.

Is that scenario 1 or 2 style? Reduced cargo loads? Thanks for the input.[&o]

Lokasenna -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 4:07:05 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

Is that scenario 1 or 2 style? Reduced cargo loads? Thanks for the input.[&o]

Scen 2 stock.

Shinano - a CVL with super-BB protection. Do it!

Xargun -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 6:08:41 PM)

Is the LI to produce extra supply for local use or will you be exporting it to the Home Islands? I want to understand the reasoning behind increasing it by so much and the logic behind where you picked?

Lowpe -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 6:36:12 PM)

quote:

Is the LI to produce extra supply for local use or will you be exporting it to the Home Islands? I want to understand the reasoning behind increasing it by so much and the logic behind where you picked?

Supply during the endgame is critical....creating extra supply in places that are less likely to be bombed or lost is key.

Just like the air factory in Harbin is critical to make 3rd generation fighters. You will lose it when the Soviets activate, but till then it is pretty safe from the Allies...and this is scenario 1 which means making it deep into the game is difficult.

Converting an armament factory to vehicles in Korea is also pretty sneaky. Saved my bacon in my last game where it produced till the end with 0 losses despite every other HI vehicle factory being destroyed.

Aurorus -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 6:55:01 PM)

quote:

This is a simulation:

Here is a test run of the Pearl Strike with my settings. Normally, I only get around 24 torpedo hits and 100 PBY damage. This time, I put a Jake squadron on night recon of Pearl too.

Amazing number of torpedo hits...

Morning Air attack on Pearl Harbor , at 180,107

Magazine explodes on CA San Francisco

Interesting. I put 4 Glens on recon of Pearl Harbor and acheived similar results in my game against 821Bobo. 27 torpedo hits with 3 squadrons carrying torpedos.

BB Nevada, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
BB Arizona, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
BB Maryland, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
BB Tennessee, Bomb hits 6, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
BB Oklahoma, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB West Virginia, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
BB California, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
CL Raleigh, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 2
BB Pennsylvania, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Dewey, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
AV Curtiss, Torpedo hits 1
AR Medusa, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
AD Whitney, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CL Honolulu, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
CL Phoenix, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Approximately the same hit ratio. You got 43 hits on 130 torpedoes. I got 27 hits on 72 torpedoes.

Xargun -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 6:58:46 PM)

quote:

Supply during the endgame is critical....creating extra supply in places that are less likely to be bombed or lost is key.

ok - so will you haul it to the Home Islands, or simply won't need to move as much from Japan to those areas - basically the same thing. But one uses fuel and one doesn't.

quote:

Just like the air factory in Harbin is critical to make 3rd generation fighters. You will lose it when the Soviets activate, but till then it is pretty safe from the Allies...and this is scenario 1 which means making it deep into the game is difficult.

Converting an armament factory to vehicles in Korea is also pretty sneaky. Saved my bacon in my last game where it produced till the end with 0 losses despite every other HI vehicle factory being destroyed.

Interesting. Never thought of the Vehicle factory. Are vehicles really important / short supply in 44 and 45 ?

Lowpe -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 7:04:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurorus

quote:

This is a simulation:

Here is a test run of the Pearl Strike with my settings. Normally, I only get around 24 torpedo hits and 100 PBY damage. This time, I put a Jake squadron on night recon of Pearl too.

Amazing number of torpedo hits...

Morning Air attack on Pearl Harbor , at 180,107

Magazine explodes on CA San Francisco

Interesting. I put 4 Glens on recon of Pearl Harbor and acheived similar results in my game against 821Bobo. 27 torpedo hits with 3 squadrons carrying torpedos.

BB Nevada, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
BB Arizona, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
BB Maryland, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
BB Tennessee, Bomb hits 6, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
BB Oklahoma, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB West Virginia, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
BB California, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
CL Raleigh, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 2
BB Pennsylvania, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Dewey, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
AV Curtiss, Torpedo hits 1
AR Medusa, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
AD Whitney, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CL Honolulu, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
CL Phoenix, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Approximately the same hit ratio. You got 43 hits on 130 torpedoes. I got 27 hits on 72 torpedoes.

4 skilled recon pilots will get you 9/10 DL, but we don't have skilled recon pilots here...so if I could do it again I would put many more on recon.

Aurorus -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 7:08:50 PM)

quote:

4 skilled recon pilots will get you 9/10 DL, but we don't have skilled recon pilots here...so if I could do it again I would put many more on recon.

Unfortunately, you cannot. Any changes that you make to the pilots in your squadrons on Dec. 7th will not take effect until Dec. 8th. Try, for example, to form up all your best pilots into the Oscar squadrons and then sweep Georgetown with the IIBs, which I did in my latest game. When I review the pilots the next day, I see that Nate pilots, who were swapped out of the Oscar squadron had kills, but the new pilots brought in did not.

Lowpe -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 7:09:48 PM)

quote:

quote:

ok - so will you haul it to the Home Islands, or simply won't need to move as much from Japan to those areas - basically the same thing. But one uses fuel and one doesn't.

quote:

Interesting. Never thought of the Vehicle factory. Are vehicles really important / short supply in 44 and 45 ?

Every game is different. Here I am up against an expert Japanese player...he won't make assumptions and know what the weak spots of Japan are.

The medium tank upgrade in 6/44 is critical. Having the pools to fill your regiments and divisions even more so. Rebuilding a tank division is extremely expensive...but running short on medium tanks will really hamstring your defense.

Hopefully, the 300 supply in Korea and Manchuria will mean less supply trips to China, but with a three hex range basically is close to statistically meaningless in the larger scope of things. So, if the game develops I have to ship it in, so be it. I should be able manage fuel better than supply for the endgame.

Xargun -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 7:12:04 PM)

quote:

Every game is different. Here I am up against an expert Japanese player...he won't make assumptions and know what the weak spots of Japan are.

The medium tank upgrade in 6/44 is critical. Having the pools to fill your regiments and divisions even more so. Rebuilding a tank division is extremely expensive...but running short on medium tanks will really hamstring your defense.

Hopefully, the 300 supply in Korea and Manchuria will mean less supply trips to China, but with a three hex range basically is close to statistically meaningless in the larger scope of things. So, if the game develops I have to ship it in, so be it. I should be able manage fuel better than supply for the endgame.

I need to finish a game into 45 so I have some experience.. I feel like such a noob concerning the end game. I have great ideas / plans for the first couple years, but am flying blind when dealing with 44 or 45.

Lowpe -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 7:17:52 PM)

Every Allied player is different, and different from game to game.

So you do get experience from playing at the end, but what is important in one game might not be in the next.

Lowpe -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 8:26:58 PM)

IJN Infantry Formations

I really like these guys, and when I can I will be buying them out and replacing them with other troops for garrison duty in China.

The Ankei SNLF is pretty unique in that they have 2 40mm Bofors, the second generation ones, which are darn near the best AA guns Japan has (but don't get access to till very late in 1945).

In addition they must get Tank Hunting Heroes or something in 1943 as their hard attack gets a boost -- and we all know the Allies love atoll invasions with tanks.

[image]local://upfiles/44178/E7BAE9E1B8C042A6BFEC6759B912DB14.jpg[/image]

Lowpe -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 8:44:39 PM)

Major Free units at start:

[image]local://upfiles/44178/ABA046AFB21B4484969B8A58E131F0D7.jpg[/image]

Lowpe -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 8:48:10 PM)

High experienced units that might be purchased out:

[image]local://upfiles/44178/6758C3991FF54C67B4B6CE0694AC196B.jpg[/image]

Aurorus -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 9:22:25 PM)

quote:

IJN Infantry Formations

I really like these guys, and when I can I will be buying them out and replacing them with other troops for garrison duty in China.

The Ankei SNLF is pretty unique in that they have 2 40mm Bofors, the second generation ones, which are darn near the best AA guns Japan has (but don't get access to till very late in 1945).

In addition they must get Tank Hunting Heroes or something in 1943 as their hard attack gets a boost -- and we all know the Allies love atoll invasions with tanks.

You are going to spend political points to buy SNLFs out of China? Seriously? For 2 40mm bofors? You're crazy.

SqzMyLemon -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 10:12:40 PM)

Sorry Lowpe, I didn't see it that way, but in hindsight I should have posted in your other AAR.

Lowpe -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 10:16:59 PM)

quote:

quote:

IJN Infantry Formations

You are going to spend political points to buy SNLFs out of China? Seriously? For 2 40mm bofors? You're crazy.

I always buy units out of China. Don't you? I always buy out the Ankei at some point.

Lowpe -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 10:18:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

I'm glad to see a few experienced players posting about expanding LI.

Sqz [:-]I think that qualifies for an opsec warning. loose lips may sink ships, especially if some Allied player reads it.[:D]

He is off at a fire damaged building now, and won't be checking the forum for a day or two so feel free to edit that post a bit and I will get you an answer.

Lowpe -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 10:37:09 PM)

Here are the Navy Recon squadrons at game start.

They fly the Babs, then upgrade to Irving C, Judy C and Myrt. Unfortunately, these planes all pretty much stink at naval search into the teeth of Allied Carriers.

So, the IJNAF is going to loan these squadrons to the Army, and in return the IJAAF is going to loan an equal number of Dinah II squadrons trained in Naval Search. Eventually they will upgrade to Dinah III and will fly across the Empire to provide search when the Allied carriers are present.

We shall see how that works.

[image]local://upfiles/44178/13BAC64C204344FBA0302074AB58E36D.jpg[/image]

Lowpe -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/16/2017 10:53:58 PM)

Harbin

The plane factory here is critical as it will most likely be safe till mid 45; and this being a scenario 1 game if I make it that far that will be great!

Normally Harbin is a great Frank factory, but for that to happen it will sit idle until mid 43. The Tony is a solid option, but there again it will sit idle till mid 42. Same process with Jack and George.

So what to do with this critical factory? Produce a low volume plane till the Tony/Frank/Jack/George comes along?

I am going big with Jack this game, so I think it will be a big Jack factory. Fair enough. Now what to do with the factory till early 43 when the Jack arrives? I am thinking a small Ann or Mary factory -- big enough to use up the starting pool of engines. Since most JFB go Ann, I think I will go Mary to be contrary.[;)]

Not much redeems the Mary, but we will have surprise on our side.[:)] Mary qualifies as this games ugly duckling.

[image]local://upfiles/44178/DB142522684849F09B2A20048DBC3F02.jpg[/image]

Aurorus -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/17/2017 12:02:16 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

IJN Infantry Formations

I always buy units out of China. Don't you? I always buy out the Ankei at some point.

No... at least not SNLFs. SNLFs are fine light defensive units if they have 80+ exp. and are behind good forts. The Ankei is 60 exp. I would not waste PPs buying it out. I would not waste supply fortifying it, and I would not waste replacements replacing its casualties, unless it was in a crucial position, which it will not be, since it is JUNK... lol.

Lowpe -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/17/2017 12:27:57 AM)

quote:

No... at least not SNLFs. SNLFs are fine light defensive units if they have 80+ exp. and are behind good forts. The Ankei is 60 exp. I would not waste PPs buying it out. I would not waste supply fortifying it, and I would not waste replacements replacing its casualties, unless it was in a crucial position, which it will not be, since it is JUNK... lol.

Boy, you are tough. These units are great for slicing thru the jungle cutting supply lines. Also totally air mobile and with some AT capability mid 43 and later. Great fire brigades; great anti-paratrooper garrisons; great small units that usually are bypassed in heavy bombings especially if something larger is present. Would be too neat if you could combine three of them for a regiment, but alas, no unit is perfect. You undervalue it at your peril![:D]

Here are some more units I will buy out of China. You probably don't like them either. Probably scoff at them. I start with three Armored Car units, and they are pure gold, let me tell you. Off to Atolls for you guys!

[image]local://upfiles/44178/FC2B7BF2E3BA4D9D8EB33124B11C2E33.jpg[/image]

Lowpe -> RE: In blossom today, then scattered; Lowpe (J) vs Obvert (A) (3/17/2017 12:35:41 AM)

Got an email from my honorable opponent -- he may finish the turn tomorrow....and we will be off and not exactly running but moving faster than a speeding Gorn.[:)]

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI