RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Opponents Wanted

SparkleyTits -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/11/2017 7:09:42 PM)

Neogodhobo have you played any games in multiplayer yet buddy?
I mean absolutely no disrespect if I am misunderstanding but it seems that although your ideas are full of character, vhim and vigour which is fantastic they might be outside of what the Russians actually need to survive for the first 18 turns without a collapse

As Crackaces mentioned the game has phases and he was only trying to help us understand the limitations of the game and how our ideas play into that.
There is a certain flow to the game that will happen with each and every time it's played the flow is determined by the mechanics and limitations of the game itself
For Russia the commander needs a simple understanding on how to manipulate manpower, TOE, AP, exp, morale, Rail, industry, and all of the mechanics in a similar manner he will need to understand the Axis supply and how to hamper it and work around it
Simply put for the first 18 turns Russia is all about manipulating the mechanics to staunch an immiment death there simply will be no opportunity for strategies beyond "Move back behind that river" "Try to rescue that mountain division" etc
If the supreme commander doesn't have a simple understanding of the actual mechanics I fear it would only be a very quick and unfun death for the motherland

However I completely agree with Telemecus consesus is our best option to keep everybody as happy as possible

Neogodhobo -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/11/2017 8:31:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus
I suppose it is worth distinguishing what a Supreme Commander has to do, with what it would be good for them to do. The absolute requirement for the game is that the Supreme Commander HAS to allocate things like points, units etc to the others, and their responsibilities. But someone who does that job well might start doing something else - and might find what they have to do a very small part of the game for them.

Personally that is where I think the interest comes from for the role - and the thing I would love to compare notes on with other Supreme Commanders whether or not I am one in this game. Some approaches are
i) Make a strategic analysis of your situation and that of your opponent, develop a grand strategy over multiple turns, and let that lead on to who gets what. Is this Neogodhobo's idea?
ii) Spend a lot of time with other players getting their plans and ideas, seeing where they cannot all be done, and man managing the way to get as much as possible for all. Perhaps what Crackaces is suggesting?

I think there is a lot more to be said on this and it will be a hot topic for the game. Perhaps a "Dummy's guide to how to be a Supreme Commander" can be written afterwards?

I guess I was expecting something else from a Supreme Commander.

Here is how I was planning to play the role and my idea about how it should be done :

My idea of what the Supreme commander do :

Supreme commander would basically, role-play a supreme commander, as it historically was during WW2. ( as much as the game allows ) So :

A) Makes every important decisions ( such as allocating admin points for exemple )
B) Prepare offensive/defensive operations.
C) Plan meetings with each ground commanders to talk about strategies. ( aka : I made this operation, review your sector, tell me if you think its possible for you to achieve these goals in the time ask, what do you think a good alternative would be, what do you feel your opponent's weakness/aptitude are ? How can you counter/take advantage of those, etc etc )

D) Asset situation on all fronts, intelligence, revise operations and plan according to opponents weakness/aptitude.

The way I was planning to play it :

Basically, I was planning to start making clear objective to capture/hold. Devise plans according to those. Write it all down, separate each section of the plan and give the section of the plan with the area of operation of each ground commanders to them.

-Was going to note every detail possible ( Strength of operation ( numbers of men, AFV, airplanes, commanders in charge of the operation , etc )
-Was going to note every detail of the execution of that operation ( casualties, progress, battles, etc )
-Was going to put in paper the entire operation, ( how it went, final result, consequences, etc )
and put it in a file.
Keep all operations until the end of the game to later put to the public.

I also wanted to start some spy action, meaning that I would sometime make fake plans, along with real plans, available to the enemy so as to trick them. ( wich is why I came up with that post earlier about having a Top secret document thread )

I was also going to , obviously, allocate admin points and everything else that touches that subject. but to also hold meeting with ground commanders ( separately ) and discuss about the whole situation in general.

And well to supervise everything that is going around.
So, basically, this is my idea of what being the supreme commander was going to be about.

If it isnt, then Id just really prefer to be a ground commander. In wich case, we could just give me back my Army Group Center position. I would really prefer not having to giving command that I already have as I want to be with the men under my control until the end. Im in it for the long run, and I start being transferred around, I fear it would jeopardize my long run plan.

If I start doing something, and then someone else comes in and destroy everything I started doing, it will not only negatively affect everyone under my command ( wheter it be ground commanders, or army commanders ( AI )). but it will affect negatively the whole team as troops will have to be shifted around and strategies changed, and lose precious times, effort and energy.

Neogodhobo -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/11/2017 8:45:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SparkleyTits

Neogodhobo have you played any games in multiplayer yet buddy?
I mean absolutely no disrespect if I am misunderstanding but it seems that although your ideas are full of character, vhim and vigour which is fantastic they might be outside of what the Russians actually need to survive for the first 18 turns without a collapse

As Crackaces mentioned the game has phases and he was only trying to help us understand the limitations of the game and how our ideas play into that.
There is a certain flow to the game that will happen with each and every time it's played the flow is determined by the mechanics and limitations of the game itself
For Russia the commander needs a simple understanding on how to manipulate manpower, TOE, AP, exp, morale, Rail, industry, and all of the mechanics in a similar manner he will need to understand the Axis supply and how to hamper it and work around it
Simply put for the first 18 turns Russia is all about manipulating the mechanics to staunch an immiment death there simply will be no opportunity for strategies beyond "Move back behind that river" "Try to rescue that mountain division" etc
If the supreme commander doesn't have a simple understanding of the actual mechanics I fear it would only be a very quick and unfun death for the motherland

However I completely agree with Telemecus consesus is our best option to keep everybody as happy as possible

Iv played Multiplayer games yes. Im currently playing one right now. I previously said I had 50 hours into the game, but I forgot that I always play offline and that Steam doesnt take those hours into account. so I have 50 hours of online time basically. Im not sure how much I got offline, I do sometime spend 10 hours straight playing grand campaign against the soviet AI (+1 soviet bonus ). I usually play until January 1942. I leave time for the winter offensive and see how I do, and then I restart the game because usually, I miserably fail in the south. I usually make it to Moscow by late august with AGC.

It seems to me that the game is pretty realistic and so it would seem the way to play a supreme commander is basically common sense and understanding of world war 2 strategies. The Soviets kept retreating while launching countless (futile) counter-strokes until 1941 (and beyond even ) . So it would seem logical to me to have a mix of retreating, trying to hold key objectives ( such as Pskov and the velikaia river ) and trying to hinder the axis juggernauts as much as possible while trying to limit casualties as much as possible.

Doesn't seem really hard to me. As for game mechanics I would get help from players around, such as, moving industries, because I have never played the soviet beyond fall 1941 so Im not too familiar with it )

Lets not forget that, personally, I didnt even want to be supreme commander. But no one offered and so I offered. What I said I wanted to be is Axis Ground Commander, North or Center.

If Telemescus's friend wants to be supreme commander. I personally have no problem waiting until mid-october, it would even be better for me. And it would let everyone be able to prepare.

SparkleyTits -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/11/2017 9:04:08 PM)

Apologies Neogodhobo you are indeed right you offered when nobody else did I meant no offence I was simply trying to be be cautious for all our sakes

As Manstein would say you are a very energetic fellow and that is to be applauded my friend

HardLuckYetAgain -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/11/2017 9:19:05 PM)

quote:

I previously said I had 50 hours into the game, but I forgot that I always play offline and that Steam doesnt take those hours into account. so I have 50 hours of online time basically.

I must be f'ing crazy, I have over 4500 hours logged on 2 accounts just for WitE :( And that is only since I started using steam to play the game. I really should spend more time with my wife.

SparkleyTits -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/11/2017 9:35:54 PM)

I am just over 370 hours at the moment and I still feel like I am absolute inexperienced newborn

Crackaces -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/11/2017 10:15:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

I previously said I had 50 hours into the game, but I forgot that I always play offline and that Steam doesnt take those hours into account. so I have 50 hours of online time basically.

I must be f'ing crazy, I have over 4500 hours logged on 2 accounts just for WitE :( And that is only since I started using steam to play the game. I really should spend more time with my wife.

Sillyflower suggested turning combat tracking up ... as the finial straw to a life of pizza and jolt cola ..:)

Neogodhobo -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/11/2017 11:19:20 PM)

quote:

Apologies Neogodhobo you are indeed right you offered when nobody else did I meant no offence I was simply trying to be be cautious for all our sakes

As Manstein would say you are a very energetic fellow and that is to be applauded my friend

No worries.

HardLuckYetAgain -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/12/2017 2:55:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

quote:

quote:

Sillyflower suggested turning combat tracking up ... as the finial straw to a life of pizza and jolt cola ..:)

Ok I give up. 16 hours of work and my brain is fried. Turn combat tracking up?

thedoctorking -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/12/2017 4:48:47 AM)

Somebody should be responsible for making sure everybody gets their moves in on time.
How does this work mechanically? Does each player in a multiplayer team game have to wait for another player on his team to send the save game file or can we put all our save game files together in some way? If the former, I can't see getting a turn done in a day unless we are really anal about getting our turn done at a specific time. My own life is a little too complex to guarantee that I could play each day at 1500 Pacific or something like that.
I could commit to once a day but that would leave us with six days per turn. Any solutions for this or are we going to be playing this game for approximately as long as the actual war took?

Neogodhobo -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/12/2017 2:19:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedoctorking

... we going to be playing this game for approximately as long as the actual war took?

Pretty much.

Crackaces -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/12/2017 2:25:42 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ok I give up. 16 hours of work and my brain is fried. Turn combat tracking up?

Combat resolution message levels 1-7 .. default I believe is 1? at level 7 every single squad/shell/bomb is evaluated and displayed. Extremely informative for understanding the underpinnings of WITE ..at the expense of activities of daily living, maintaining relationships, etc ...
Given a 16 hour day .. I suspect software engi8neering or something like that where you are already at the jolt cola/pizza substance stage in life [8D]

Telemecus -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/12/2017 3:20:14 PM)

From 1st post in thread

quote:

Each team must have
-1 Team Manager (who can also have one of the roles above and does not have to be the Supreme Commander): makes sure that the save file is with somebody to take their go, that there is no ambiguity whose go it is, and it is not left idle during their sides turn. When a player cannot take their go and there is no way to swap the sequence round for someone else to take their go, the team manager should arrange for someone to cover that players go for that turn. Their aim is for that team's turn to be finished as quickly as possible. They should also recruit replacments when a vacancy occurs. [My experience of the other team game is this is a substantial side job - even hardcore wargamers have real lives and getting multiple calendars coordinated is not easy. And getting a replacement for a vacancy entails more than posting once in the forums that there is a vacancy. Having someone responsible for this helps!

I've posted elsewhere that it would be nice to have separate file saves that could be merged together, but that is not how WitE works. It is strictly sequential. I have got around this a bit by doing some things as notes, a checklist or spreadsheet in the other team game e.g. settings for airgroups, ToE changes. I check these essentially while the ground commanders are doing their turns, and then at end, after a quick double check, I filter them just for what needs to change and copy them in. It is quicker than starting afresh when the turn arrives. But it is still far from perfect. In the other team game I suggested players in American time zones at least make a save of their unfinished go and let those in a European time zone take their goes while they are asleep etc. So a bit like a tag game the save file would not be left idle. If we could get a player in Asia you could have a rolling 24 hour go! However they felt this was too complicated for now.

Telemecus -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/12/2017 3:48:50 PM)

I've exhausted all my ideas for recruitment for now. The options we have are an experienced commander in mid-October probably, Neogodhobo, or any combination of those, or option for replacements in future after that. I think Neogodhobo has been wonderful for volunteering and deserves high praise for that. I can see Neogodhobo doing a good job, but it does need the help of the whole team. Someone who is adaptable and willing to learn is better than someone with a lot of the wrong experience. If it is a question of knowing what needs to be decided, the whole team can make sure of that - nothing needs to be forgotten. If it is a question of what to do when the team cannot agree - that is what Supreme Commander Neogodhobo would be there for.

I am in your hands - we can wait or start in whatever way you think best.

Neogodhobo -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/12/2017 4:06:37 PM)

quote:

I've exhausted ..... think best.

Im down for either way as well.

SparkleyTits -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/12/2017 4:20:52 PM)

Sounds great to me we can all fumble around and learn together :)

WingedIncubus -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/12/2017 4:42:07 PM)

Yes, let's do this and start now. [8D]

HardLuckYetAgain -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/12/2017 5:18:54 PM)

Are all the poeple on the German side new too?

Telemecus -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/12/2017 5:19:55 PM)

quote:

If I am Axis Supreme Commander I would be the only player who is not new. I think that is the judgement the others have come to earlier in the thread.

There is the possibility of balance by having an inexperienced Axis Supreme Commander instead of me. Problem is we have only two signed up for it at the moment. On the other hand we have a waiting list for ground commanders! Why is Supreme commander so unpopular? I thought the WitE community would consist of ego maniacs fighting for the top job?

Crackaces -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/12/2017 5:53:58 PM)

quote:

I can speak only for myself .. I have yet to play a PBM game .. mainly played the AI, and that is to learn the mechanics and test lessons from AAR's like Pelton or yourself. Having a basic understanding I can appreciate the big picture when shown but cannot yet devise innovative strategies .. yet :)

KenchiSulla -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/12/2017 5:55:24 PM)

I'm not new, but not that great on the Axis side... My PBEM experience is soviet...

Crackaces -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/12/2017 6:24:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KenchiSulla

I'm not new, but not that great on the Axis side... My PBEM experience is soviet...

If I remember right you always had a great perspective in your postings on the WITP AE forum.

Neogodhobo -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/12/2017 6:55:59 PM)

Quoted just because it was worth of being quoted

quote:

I thought the WitE community would consist of ego maniacs fighting for the top job?

Alright so I think its been decided then. The inscription is over [sm=terms.gif]
Time to fight is soon upon us [sm=sterb020.gif]

I will be waiting the official confirmation from the grand master Telemecus and if its confirmed that I am Soviet Supreme Commander, then I will start to prepare my grand master plan with my Generals.
[sm=character0267.gif]

Should we leave the starting date a mystery to the Soviets ? As it was a surprise attack after all. Or should we all agree on a specific date ?

Neogodhobo -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/12/2017 7:00:24 PM)

So far on the Soviet side we have :

Neogodhobo - Supreme Commander
Drakken - Southern Front
Sparkley Tits - Northern Front
The Doctorking and Charlie 0311

Is that right ?

Telemecus -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/12/2017 7:09:30 PM)

Well I guess we are the sole ego maniacs here then!

For want of making a decision shall we say we wait until tomorrow noon (Euro time) and if there are no objections here begin.

Neogodhobo, you'll know the game settings you need from post 1 in this forum - it has been updated with the requested changes. You can make the first turn save file which can be put in dropbox.

Anybody, anyone want to take charge of dropbox? If so say so, and others send your emails to them?

KenchiSulla -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/12/2017 7:11:34 PM)

Thanks, I love Gary Grigsby games :-). Are you still playing WitP?

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: KenchiSulla

If I remember right you always had a great perspective in your postings on the WITP AE forum.

SparkleyTits -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/12/2017 7:14:31 PM)

I look forward to playing with you all

Neogodhobo -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/12/2017 7:19:47 PM)

quote:

I make the Soviet side

Soviet - Neogodhobo
North - thedoctorking (swapped with SparkleyTits)
Centre - Drakken
South - Socket (Both)

Have I made a mistake?

But I guess a good first job is to work out who your team is! [:D]

For want of making a decision shall we say we wait until tomorrow noon (Euro time) and if there are no objections here begin.

Neogodhobo, you'll know the game settings you need from post 1 in this forum - it has been updated with the requested changes. You can make the first turn save file which can be put in dropbox.

Anybody, anyone want to take charge of dropbox? If so say so, and others send your emails to them?

Sounds great. I will make the first turn save file wich I will put in dropbox ( after someone explain to me how to put the save game into a dropbox)

Gentlemen, welcome to war.
I will post the very first post of the Soviet in the AAR section of the forum in about 2 minutes.

thedoctorking -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/12/2017 7:54:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neogodhobo

quote:

I make the Soviet side

Soviet - Neogodhobo
North - thedoctorking (swapped with SparkleyTits)
Centre - Drakken
South - Socket (Both)

Have I made a mistake?

But I guess a good first job is to work out who your team is! [:D]

Sounds great. I will make the first turn save file wich I will put in dropbox ( after someone explain to me how to put the save game into a dropbox)

Gentlemen, welcome to war.
I will post the very first post of the Soviet in the AAR section of the forum in about 2 minutes.

I need to be invited to the Dropbox folder.

Telemecus -> RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted (9/12/2017 7:56:37 PM)

Dropbox still needs to be created. I was hoping someone other than me would volunteer?

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI