First PC wargame you played seriously (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Lord Baldy -> First PC wargame you played seriously (2/19/2018 11:05:09 AM)

Hi, first post so thought I'd start with the obvious, what game would you regard as being your first "proper" wargame.

Mine would be 'Arnhem - The Market Garden Operation', by CCS on the good old ZX Speccy, I may have played a few older wargames on that machine with UDG graphics, but this one actually looked pretty decent and was the first wargame I put any serious time into, playing with friends was a good experience as well.

I've played the Dos version in DosBox quite recently but it doesn't have the magic of Sir Clive's rubber keyed box of brilliance.

So ummm, that's that then...

berto -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/19/2018 12:22:52 PM)

PC wargame? John Tiller (Talonsoft) Battleground Series of American Civil War games, c. late 1990s.

Board wargame? AH Gettysburg, c. 1962.

With so very many in between, and ever since.

Gilmer -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/19/2018 12:41:32 PM)

I have no idea which came first but right about the same time....

Pacwar
War in Russia
Western Front

Whichever came out first is the first one I played

zakblood -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/19/2018 12:45:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord Baldy

Hi, first post so thought I'd start with the obvious, what game would you regard as being your first "proper" wargame.

Mine would be 'Arnhem - The Market Garden Operation', by CCS on the good old ZX Speccy, I may have played a few older wargames on that machine with UDG graphics, but this one actually looked pretty decent and was the first wargame I put any serious time into, playing with friends was a good experience as well.

I've played the Dos version in DosBox quite recently but it doesn't have the magic of Sir Clive's rubber keyed box of brilliance.

So ummm, that's that then...

is there any better?

still got mine boxed in the loft, rubber key one and also a 128k with micro drive version all with boxed games, nobody ever offered me enough so kept it, welcome to the forum, can tell your going to be a good member as you have great tastes

Capitaine -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/19/2018 12:59:22 PM)

SSI's Battlecruiser on the Apple II. Loved the WWI naval actions. Bought SSI's Napoleon's Battles shortly thereafter.

Zorch -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/19/2018 1:10:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capitaine

SSI's Battlecruiser on the Apple II. Loved the WWI naval actions. Bought SSI's Napoleon's Battles shortly thereafter.

The British BCs had a 50% chance of blowing up after a hit, at least in the Atari 800 version. I lost the Falklands after both Invincible and Inflexible exploded. [:D]

Saint Ruth -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/19/2018 1:12:12 PM)

quote:

I LOVED that game. And his other one, Operation Vulcan. It's my favourite Speecy game after (before?) Doomdark's Revenge...oh, and Atic Attack.
Played it over and over.
It was my first PC wargame (if one has a generous defintion of PC). I still have my old Speccy up in the attic
and a box full of cassettes of the old BASIC games I wrote and copied from magazines.

zakblood -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/19/2018 1:12:34 PM)

quote:

386 SX

rich git, i started off on a 286SX and from there only went to a 486DX-50 when i started work, had me first HDD with this, and extra ram, and can still remember the price as it was £50 per 4mb sticks and i went all out and had 2 lol

10mb HDD was my first and 2nd was a 100mb
Diamond Stealth 24 VLB S3-805 with 1MB of RAM
Sound Blaster Pro 1.0 sound card
plus a Voodoo graphics card addon

Yogi the Great -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/19/2018 1:17:27 PM)

Many years ago on an Apple IIC I had a Gettysburg game that for the time was actually quite good. I don't remember the company that made it. This was at a time when there were plenty of software stores all over the place. Still finding a game for an apple wasn't all that easy.

zakblood -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/19/2018 1:20:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saint Ruth

quote:

I LOVED that game. And his other one, Operation Vulcan. It's my favourite Speecy game after (before?) Doomdark's Revenge...oh, and Atic Attack.
Played it over and over.
It was my first PC wargame (if one has a generous defintion of PC). I still have my old Speccy up in the attic
and a box full of cassettes of the old BASIC games I wrote and copied from magazines.

lol, same, only sometimes with a print error in the mag, the week of typing it all in and it didn't run, so you have to wait for the next months mag to get the fix and re do the typo and fix, my spectrum war game collection is almost complete, wrote by R. T. Smith's who has just released Oriental Empires on steam, i was a alpha and beta tester for him, and would have loved him to do a update to the game, but alas there is no money in it for him,
http://store.steampowered.com/app/357310

Vasquez -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/19/2018 1:59:49 PM)

Steel Panthers iirc

UP844 -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/19/2018 2:36:57 PM)

B-1, Midway, Bismarck, Tsushima and another game about nuclear war (I do not remember its title), all of them from Avalon Hill on a Commodore '64, back in the mid-80's.

Rodwonder -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/19/2018 3:38:00 PM)

PC wargame was Panzer General and moved on too Steel Panthers and I'm still playing SP...

First Real wargame was Avalon Hill's Tobruk in 1977... [8D]

mbishop -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/19/2018 3:40:37 PM)

Computer Bismarck, Midway, NATO86, Cosmic Balance I & II, early 80's,for Apple IIE

Franciscus -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/19/2018 3:48:22 PM)

Desert Rats on Zx Spectrum [&o]

warspite1 -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/19/2018 4:29:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Franciscus

Desert Rats on Zx Spectrum [&o]
warspite1

Moi aussi

Rising-Sun -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/19/2018 6:39:42 PM)

Well mine was Gary Grigsby's Warship...
http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=9843&d=18

Those type of games aren't easy to find though, mine were pc version on 3.5 floppy disks.

altipueri -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/19/2018 8:59:01 PM)

Crusade in Europe about 1986 on Amstrad version of PC.

Joe D. -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/19/2018 10:15:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord Baldy

Hi, first post so thought I'd start with the obvious, what game would you regard as being your first "proper" wargame...

Uncommon Valor

Will_L -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/19/2018 10:20:17 PM)

First pc game was something on my C64 from SSI but can't remember the title. Board game was Avalon Hill's 1776 back in 1977.

Rosseau -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/19/2018 11:14:27 PM)

Eastern Front (1941) for the Atari by Chris Crawford. That started the addiction, while most start with board games. I still have the box and cartridge from 1983 in perfect condition, but no Atari to play it on. It doesn't look like WitE, that's for sure!

Twotribes -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/19/2018 11:25:18 PM)

Can't remember the name but it was pretty simple.

E -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/19/2018 11:40:38 PM)

This user is on your "block" list and the message has been blocked.
Click here to unblock this user and view this post.

Zorch -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/19/2018 11:41:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rosseau

Eastern Front (1941) for the Atari by Chris Crawford. That started the addiction, while most start with board games. I still have the box and cartridge from 1983 in perfect condition, but no Atari to play it on. It doesn't look like WitE, that's for sure!

You can buy an Atari + disk drive on eBay. I did.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/20/2018 12:05:33 AM)

I played Knights of the Desert game seriously at first because it was my first wargame on the commodore 64. Then came like Battles for Normandy and Battle of the Bulge. Those were amazing dos games for their time. Lots of fun and challenging.

Agathosdaimon -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/20/2018 7:21:36 AM)

War in the Gulf from Empire Interactive,
the 3rd in the series begun by Team Yankee. I played it through to the end, but like everyone else who has ever gotten to the end, the final mission is simply unbeatable.
I am sure i still it in my boxes of games somewhere, along with Team Yankee, which i played too after reading Coyle's book. Still have never played Pacific Islands though, perhaps that is one i should at to my retro to play list.

War in the Gulf, begun a serious 90s Tank Sim binge - Armorerd Fist 2, iM1a2 (another one i played comprehensively ), M1 Tank Platoon 2, Spearhead, Steel Panthers 3.

E -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/20/2018 8:32:20 AM)

This user is on your "block" list and the message has been blocked.
Click here to unblock this user and view this post.

timmyab -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/20/2018 9:23:53 AM)

PC - Allied General. I was very impressed with it for as long as it took me to realize that the AI was clueless ( I was naively expecting chess type standards of AI). Pretty good game though.

Board - ASL. What was I thinking [:D] Talk about diving in at the deep end.

Crossroads -> RE: First PC wargame you played seriously (2/20/2018 9:42:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: larrybush

Long time ago - Some kind of Eastern Front Corp level game on my Atari 130 (Don't remember the name)
After that a bunch of Atomic Games series ( Normandy, Market Garden and eventually Stalingrad) on my 386 SX.

That would likely be the "Eastern Front 1941" game, mentioned a good few times in this thread [&o]

[image]http://gury.atari8.info/img/e/eastern_front_1941_1.png[/image]

My first "proper" wargame I played on computer was NATO Commander for CBM64 [:'(]

[image]https://www.c64-wiki.com/images/7/7f/Natocommanderingame3.png[/image]

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI