[1.07.01] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Tech Support

Akrakorn -> [1.07.01] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/10/2021 12:21:08 PM)

I admit this is may not be a bug but a failure of understanding on my part, but I've been trying to limit the point usage of Zone => SHQ to give priority to my replacements, but the SHQ simply refuses to accept it. You can even see that in the first image, it has used 20533 logistical points out of the maximum 4978 allowed.

[image]https://imgur.com/47r8GqR.png[/image]
[image]https://imgur.com/UHJTWDE.png[/image]

zgrssd -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/10/2021 7:37:35 PM)

I am 90% sure the SHQ does two passes - once with the limtis and once without the limits, in case there is logistics points left over.
That way to strict limits can not result in wasted points.

Akrakorn -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/10/2021 7:46:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

I am 90% sure the SHQ does two passes - once with the limtis and once without the limits, in case there is logistics points left over.
That way to strict limits can not result in wasted points.

The problem is that it is not doing the first pass with replacements; it just never gets there, instead all points are spent into Zone -> SHQ.

zgrssd -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/10/2021 7:51:32 PM)

Analysis:
- You got a massive bottleneck towards units. Only 2/3 of the supplies and 0% of the reinforcements made it through
- You need way more Logistics leftover for Zone deliveies. You need at least twice as much as your current limit
- You need way more Logistics leftover for Zone retreival as well. You need fours times as much as your current limit
I guess you went conquering and just overestimated how much building in the wake off your troops would tax your logistics.
You need to stop expanding. Possibly even fall back onto defensible/easier supplied terrain.
You definitely have a bottleneck towards your troops. But overall your logstics is overtaxes as well. Hopefully one upgrade will be enough to work off any piled up orders. You should post some screenshots in the main forum of SE so we can help.

jimwinsor -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/10/2021 8:04:25 PM)

I had pretty much the same issue. It seems the replacement pass isn’t happening right away:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4937329

Akrakorn -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/10/2021 8:19:09 PM)

quote:

Analysis:
- You got a massive bottleneck towards units. Only 2/3 of the supplies and 0% of the reinforcements made it through
- You need way more Logistics leftover for Zone deliveies. You need at least twice as much as your current limit
- You need way more Logistics leftover for Zone retreival as well. You need fours times as much as your current limit
I guess you went conquering and just overestimated how much building in the wake off your troops would tax your logistics.
You need to stop expanding. Possibly even fall back onto defensible/easier supplied terrain.
You definitely have a bottleneck towards your troops. But overall your logstics is overtaxes as well. Hopefully one upgrade will be enough to work off any piled up orders. You should post some screenshots in the main forum of SE so we can help.

All of this is pretty much irrelevant.

In that current turn, I had 24891 logistical points available. Out of all these, because of the logistics limitations, the points should be distributed like this in the first pass:
-7467 (30%) to SHQ -> Zone
-7467 (30%) to SHQ -> Unit
-4978 (20%) to Zone -> SHQ
-4978 (20%) to Replacements

You can even see the max points allowed in the first image; however, the game is not registering the limitation and is sending 20533 points to Zone -> SHQ instead of the 4978 max allowed, meaning there are no points left for replacements.

AgentFransis -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/10/2021 8:33:31 PM)

The SHQ is not ignoring the limit. It distributes the points in order of priority from top to bottom. So first it sent all the stuff it needed to the zones. Then it tried to send supplies to your units but there's a bottleneck somewhere in the network so it only managed to deliver 2/3 of the supplies. Then it got stuff from the zones up to the limit and then it tried to send replacements, but since all available logistics points to your troops were already used for supplies none were left over for replacements. Then it used all the remaining points it had to get some more stuff from the zones.

zgrssd -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/10/2021 8:36:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Akrakorn

quote:

Analysis:

All of this is pretty much irrelevant.

In that current turn, I had 24891 logistical points available. Out of all these, because of the logistics limitations, the points should be distributed like this in the first pass:
-7467 (30%) to SHQ -> Zone
-7467 (30%) to SHQ -> Unit
-4978 (20%) to Zone -> SHQ
-4978 (20%) to Replacements

You can even see the max points allowed in the first image; however, the game is not registering the limitation and is sending 20533 points to Zone -> SHQ instead of the 4978 max allowed, meaning there are no points left for replacements.

The points you had assigned on the SHQ are irrelevant for the unit side. There is at least one hex between the SHQ and the Units that only had 2189 Logistics availible after Zone deliveries.

This bottleneck Hex should easily be finable via the Bottleneck display.

jimwinsor -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/10/2021 8:40:12 PM)

No, what zgrssd said is probably correct, the over the limit logistics on Zone => SHQ is happening on the second pass through, not the first. What’s likely happening is that the first pass through (which obeyed the limits) didn’t include the reinforcement deliveries, for some reason. So then on the second pass all the remaining points got dumped onto Zone => SHQ.

So the real mystery is why the reinforcements got skipped on the first pass through. Zgrssd lays out some viable theories on why that didn’t happen in your case. But in my case, I’m almost 100% sure my relevant ground units were in supply.

Akrakorn -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/10/2021 8:48:01 PM)

The only bottleneck is right next to the SHQ, and that's where the highest amount of logistical points are available (around 28000 in this turn). The north is pretty much the same, the maximum is yellow. All ground units are in supply range, those in the north do not need replacements. The ones that do need them are in the west.

[image]https://imgur.com/RdX8tWv.png[/image]

[image]https://imgur.com/3xXc2ZT.png[/image]

zgrssd -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/10/2021 8:57:55 PM)

quote:

The only bottleneck is right next to the SHQ, and that's where the highest amount of logistical points are available (around 28000 in this turn). The north is pretty much the same, the maximum is yellow. All ground units are in supply range, those in the north do not need replacements. The ones that do need them are in the west.

Your Bottleneck is right at the SHQ, it seems. If that part is the weakest, that means you have to upgrade it's Logistics.
First the Zone Deliveries with limits happen
Second, Unit delivieres happen. I am going to go out on a limb and say the issue is the western front. You got a lot of untis there with contact to the enemy, so this is where fighting is happening. So I guess the North/Western way out of the city runs out of logistics.
So Zone Retreival, replacements and the 2nd pass without limits can only happen with the eastern part of th empire, until that too develops the bottleneck Southeast of the SHQ. But by that time, most of the LOogistics to the east happened.

At lest 1 upgrade of the SHQ Truckstop is nessesary. However it might be better to start using some railway lines. One line to a city in the East should fix it, sidestepping the need to use roads for the first half.

Akrakorn -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/10/2021 9:13:56 PM)

quote:

quote:

Your Bottleneck is right at the SHQ, it seems. If that part is the weakest, that means you have to upgrade it's Logistics.
Second, Unit delivieres happen. I am going to go out on a limb and say the issue is the western front. You got a lot of untis there with contact to the enemy, so this is where fighting is happening. So I guess the North/Western way out of the city runs out of logistics.
So Zone Retreival, replacements and the 2nd pass without limits can only happen with the eastern part of th empire, until that too develops the bottleneck Southeast of the SHQ. But by that time, most of the LOogistics to the east happened.

At lest 1 upgrade of the SHQ Truckstop is nessesary. However it might be better to start using some railway lines. One line to a city in the East should fix it, sidestepping the need to use roads for the first half.

The SHQ part is the strongest with around 28000 logistical points and is using railways, the entire city network is railway going from one end to the other.

There is no fighting yet, not on the eastern front and not on the western front. There are no other bottlenecks aside from the one at the SHQ.

Of course more logistical points are going to solve everything, but the point is that it should not be sidestepping replacements when it is possible for it to send them.

zgrssd -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/10/2021 9:43:42 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

The SHQ part is the strongest with around 28000 logistical points and is using railways, the entire city network is railway going from one end to the other.

There is no fighting yet, not on the eastern front and not on the western front. There are no other bottlenecks aside from the one at the SHQ.

Of course more logistical points are going to solve everything, but the point is that it should not be sidestepping replacements when it is possible for it to send them.

It does not sidestep replacement.

Replacements and Supplies use exactly the same roads/raillines.
If supplies is only 2/3 finished, that is because they literally ran out of Logistics points.
If Logistics to the units already hits 0 during supply, there is nothing left for Replacements either.

Akrakorn -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/10/2021 9:46:40 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It does not sidestep replacement.

Replacements and Supplies use exactly the same roads/raillines.
If supplies is only 2/3 finished, that is because they literally ran out of Logistics points.
If Logistics to the units already hits 0 during supply, there is nothing left for Replacements either.

If the only bottleneck is in the SHQ, and there is a limitation of 30% logistic points on both units and zone supply, it should get to the replacement part without running out of logistics points first.

zgrssd -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/10/2021 10:24:35 PM)

quote:

If the only bottleneck is in the SHQ, and there is a limitation of 30% logistic points on both units and zone supply, it should get to the replacement part without running out of logistics points first.

What???

Again:
- It does Zone Deliveries
- It does Unit deliveries, but runs out of Logistics at 2189/3094 or 2722/3034
- Ir does Zone retreival, but it is out of Logistics
- It does Unit Replacements, but is out of Logistics

2nd pass without Limits:
- It does Zone Deliveries without Limits, but is out of Logistics
- It does Unit Deliveries without Limits, but is out of Logistics
- It does Zone Reteival without Limits, but is out of Logistics
- It does Replacement without Limits, but is out of Logistics

redrum68 -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/10/2021 10:30:29 PM)

Can you try setting SHQ > Unit to 0% and Zone > SHQ to 0% then see if you get replacements? This should show whether the logistics to units runs out during the earlier phases therefore not leaving anything for replacements.

Akrakorn -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/11/2021 5:48:37 AM)

quote:

quote:

What???

Again:
- It does Zone Deliveries
- It does Unit deliveries, but runs out of Logistics at 2189/3094 or 2722/3034
- Ir does Zone retreival, but it is out of Logistics
- It does Unit Replacements, but is out of Logistics

2nd pass without Limits:
- It does Zone Deliveries without Limits, but is out of Logistics
- It does Unit Deliveries without Limits, but is out of Logistics
- It does Zone Reteival without Limits, but is out of Logistics
- It does Replacement without Limits, but is out of Logistics

No:
- It does Zone Deliveries succesfully.
- It does Unit deliveries, but it doesn't run out of logistics, rather it cannot reach certain units that are at the north as they are out of supply range (and those are irrelevant for replacements, as I want to send replacements to those on the West). If it had run out of logistics here, it would have 0 logistics for Zone retrieval.
- It does Zone retrieval, and it doesn't have enough logistics points to do it all. Instead of just going to the max of 5938, it does 25037, ignoring the supply limit.
- It does Unit Replacements, but is out of Logistics as it spent all of its logistics on Zone retrieval.

Do you see how the SHQ -> Zone uses 3341 points, and SHQ -> Unit uses 1311? 4751 points are not enough to cause a bottleneck in a place where there's 29689 points total.

quote:

ORIGINAL: redrum68
Can you try setting SHQ > Unit to 0% and Zone > SHQ to 0% then see if you get replacements? This should show whether the logistics to units runs out during the earlier phases therefore not leaving anything for replacements.

I could try, unfortunately this is a multiplayer match so I'd be shooting myself in the foot for a couple of turns.

zgrssd -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/11/2021 8:22:36 AM)

quote:

Do you see how the SHQ -> Zone uses 3341 points, and SHQ -> Unit uses 1311? 4751 points are not enough to cause a bottleneck in a place where there's 29689 points total.

30k for all directions together.
Split over 6 directions by the pull point system, wich is in part based on the previous turns draw.
By simple math, that leaves on average 4948 per for each direction.

Example:
If you got 29689 Logsitcs under the SHQ.
The 5 other directions need 24938.
That leaves 4751 for that direction.

The end result is still the same: "Boss, we simply do not have enough trucks/trains to fullfill all the demand!"

Akrakorn -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/11/2021 8:45:02 AM)

quote:

quote:

30k for all directions together.
Split over 6 directions by the pull point system, wich is in part based on the previous turns draw.
By simple math, that leaves on average 4948 per for each direction.

Example:
If you got 29689 Logsitcs under the SHQ.
The 5 other directions need 24938.
That leaves 4751 for that direction.

The end result is still the same: "Boss, we simply do not have enough trucks/trains to fullfill all the demand!"

No, the railway system is pretty much a line with the "6 directions" feeding into this single line, you can see it has used 28349 logistic points that turn on that single direction. The cities are surrounded by railway stations that feed into the main line. I use traffic signs to block logistic points from feeding into the single-hex railstations, so the logistic points DO NOT get split. There is no railway station in the city itself, so the points do not get refocused.

Yes, of course the end result is "more logistic points are required"; that's not the point of this thread or the bug report. The point is that from these points available, I want to ensure that in the first pass only 30% of them are used for Zone sends, 30% for units, 20% for retrievals and 20% for replacements. The limitations are being ignored.

[image]https://imgur.com/u2gtgek.png[/image]

[image]https://imgur.com/tGXiuna.png[/image]

zgrssd -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/11/2021 9:26:49 AM)

quote:

No, the railway system is pretty much a line with the "6 directions" feeding into this single line, you can see it has used 28349 logistic points that turn on that single direction. The cities are surrounded by railway stations that feed into the main line. I use traffic signs to block logistic points from feeding into the single-hex railstations, so the logistic points DO NOT get split.

Those numbers do not add up:
If one direction has 28349 and the other has 9279 the SHQ should have 37628 total logistics from Railway alone!
As it only has 29689 and 28349 go west, that means there is only a connection of 1340 going to that first hex going east.

You somehow cut the railline comming from the east. Game propably has to use the lower 10% of capacity or trucks to move goods to the station literally one hex outside the city.
I would guess it is that 95% block on a main artery, set to also affect pull points!

Akrakorn -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/11/2021 9:32:59 AM)

quote:

quote:

No, the railway system is pretty much a line with the "6 directions" feeding into this single line, you can see it has used 28349 logistic points that turn on that single direction. The cities are surrounded by railway stations that feed into the main line. I use traffic signs to block logistic points from feeding into the single-hex railstations, so the logistic points DO NOT get split.

If one direction has 28349 and the other has 9279 the SHQ should have 37628 total logistics from Railway alone!
As it only has 29689 and 28349 go west, that means there is only a connection of 1340 going to that first hex going east.

You somehow cut the railline comming from the east. Game propably has to use the lower 10% of capacity or trucks to move goods to the station literally one hex outside the city.
I would guess it is that 95% block on a main artery, set to also affect pull points!

No, that was the "initial points" overlay. This is the "used points" overlay, and the numbers match.
[image]https://imgur.com/dtCKlYX.png[/image]

zgrssd -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/11/2021 1:01:40 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, that was the "initial points" overlay. This is the "used points" overlay, and the numbers match.

You already said the issue is the eastern army not getting supplies.
The east, for wich only 2212 of the 9200 points are used.
The east, wich wich the numbers do not add up on under the SHQ and the first Hex outside it.
The east, for wich a bottleneck was displayed right between those two hexes.

The Initial poitns where eactly what was needed for debugging this.

You messed up. It happens. You now know how and why. Just fix it.

Akrakorn -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/11/2021 3:15:05 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You already said the issue is the eastern army not getting supplies.
The east, for wich only 2212 of the 9200 points are used.
The east, wich wich the numbers do not add up on under the SHQ and the first Hex outside it.
The east, for wich a bottleneck was displayed right between those two hexes.

The Initial poitns where eactly what was needed for debugging this.

You messed up. It happens. You now know how and why. Just fix it.

I said the west, not the east. The east is completely fine and actually got its replacements several turns ago. I don't know why you're getting so hung up on this; there's clearly something wrong, as the limitations are being ignored. More logistic points will fix the issues, yes, but the game shouldn't be ignoring its own SHQ logistic points limitations when they are there exactly to prioritize point usage when there aren't enough points available.

Vic -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/12/2021 4:11:23 PM)

Akra,

Could you get me save file to vic@vrdesigns.net ?

Best wishes,
Vic

Akrakorn -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/12/2021 5:29:26 PM)

Save file sent. Hopefully you can tell if this is indeed a bug or if it's just me not understanding something about the game.

whollaborg -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/13/2021 11:34:47 AM)

As @Akrakorn is now surrendering our game I dear to peek in to this post.

he says that "There is no railway station in the city itself, so the points do not get refocused". Does this not mean that the city has only access to 5 percent of the throughput from all the rail capacity built around the city? Also, because the truckstations stop some of the through going supply points, if I remember correctly, maybe the capital city stops some of the supply points starting from those railstations whose only one hex rail goes to city.

Also the red opponent has had horrendeous problems with supply and adding maximum pull to city with SHQ1 allowed circa 25 per cent rise in preview of logistics and that worked for last turn to get some replacements to fronts. Last turn I redid that pull order again but it did not result in similiar rise in the prognosis for this turn Akrakorn tells about his resignation. Sometimes erasing all pulls from ends of logistical nets and different result is shown in prognosis of supply.

zgrssd -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/13/2021 12:38:41 PM)

quote:

he says that "There is no railway station in the city itself, so the points do not get refocused". Does this not mean that the city has only access to 5 percent of the throughput from all the rail capacity built around the city?

The city only has directly access to the free part of the Railway logistics.
However trucks can ship the goods out of the city hex, to the railway hexes and from there let them go by train.
But the whole point of a Railway system is to get Logistics useage off the roads. Not putting a station directly under the SHQ breaks that.

The Railway station in the SHQ's city should be the first thing you build. Not doing that is just setting yourself up for failure 100% of the time.

P.S.: I really hope Vic allows sidegrading to replace buildings soon.
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4837855

Akrakorn -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/13/2021 1:05:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: whollaborg

As @Akrakorn is now surrendering our game I dear to peek in to this post.

he says that "There is no railway station in the city itself, so the points do not get refocused". Does this not mean that the city has only access to 5 percent of the throughput from all the rail capacity built around the city? Also, because the truckstations stop some of the through going supply points, if I remember correctly, maybe the capital city stops some of the supply points starting from those railstations whose only one hex rail goes to city.

No, because the city and the cities surrounding it have railheads. Truckstations do not refocus rail points.

quote:

The city only has directly access to the free part of the Railway logistics.

The city has access to all railstation points because there is a connection between point A (one of the single-hex railstations) and point B (the city and/or one of the other cities). If point A and B are connected with two railstations or a railstation and a railheads, all points between A and B have full access to the rail points.

quote:

However trucks can ship the goods out of the city hex, to the railway hexes and from there let them go by train.
But the whole point of a Railway system is to get Logistics useage off the roads. Not putting a station directly under the SHQ breaks that.

I really do not know what you mean by this. Trucks are not shipping anything to the railway hexes because the railway hexes are generating their own points. There is 0 need to put a station under an SHQ, it doesn't break anything. As long as point A and point B are connected, all points between A and B have full access to the logistic system, regardless of what is on them.

Akrakorn -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/13/2021 1:13:38 PM)

I'm going to attach an image and a save to explain that it is not necessary to build railstations on the SHQ.

In the image, point A has a railstation and point B has a railhead. All other assets have been closed, so they are not active. The truckstation in the city doesn't refocus the railway points. The city has access to all ralway points despite not having an active railway station on it.

File with the save if you want to take a look: https://mega.nz/file/FpEl3KzQ#wfHhOccsIgVzxUwRD21ZvLCnrM8_kFnSLD96-sfnkxI
[image]https://imgur.com/1jDe7JZ.png[/image]

zgrssd -> RE: [1.07.02] SHQ Ignores logistics limitations (1/13/2021 1:16:43 PM)

quote:

No, because the city and the cities surrounding it have railheads. Truckstations do not refocus rail points.

Who said anything about refocussing? Please stop harping on about refocussing. It has no relevancy here.

You got a bunch of stations, but they are all 200km outside the city hex.
You trucks have to move the goods 200km out of your city, just for them to catch a train. Plus what little free points you got access too without a station in the city.

The black Hexagon finally makes sense: Those first hexes were your Truck points running out. Your Trucks have been your Bottleneck all along. The capacity of your railsystem did not mater after all, it was you force the truck.

quote:

I really do not know what you mean by this. Trucks are not shipping anything to the railway hexes because the railway hexes are generating their own points. There is 0 need to put a station under an SHQ, it doesn't break anything. As long as point A and point B are connected, all points between A and B have full access to the logistic system, regardless of what is on them.

Goods can only enter or leave the railway System at a Station or Railhead.
Same way the Airbridge has fixed start and endpoints (indeed 90% chance it is mostly based on train code).

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI