RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

ITAKLinus -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/1/2021 10:56:30 AM)

04 JANUARY 1942
TURN 29

DEI

I conquer Sorong. Remnants of the Malaya Army surrender. Tomorrow I'll land in Sinkgawang.

2nd wave of troops for India in loading. 1st wave calmly sailing through the Malacca Strait.

Tomorrow, hopefully, I should have KB in position to strike Colombo on the next day. A group of Mavis will do a recon mission from Port Blair to have confirmation of enemy presence in the base (and to increase DL).

So far, the invasion forces haven't been detected. I hope they'll be detected at the last possible second, but it's a relatively naive hope.
In line of principle, after I strike Colombo with KB, I have one day in which they'll be covered by only two CVEs and it's gonna be a risky turn if they are detected one deay before. Still, I do not think there is any major threat: the two CVEs have 36 A6M2s on board and should be able to fend off any airstrike. Surface combat is not an option.

PACIFIC

I am in the process of loading a SNLF in Rabaul and send it to Milne Bay, that I can occupy the dot.

CHINA

Xenxen is withdrawing from the most exposed positions in Loyang area. Hopefully, I should be able to encircle him in any case.
Few Chinese bombers are downed in Sinyang. I am quite open to let them fly due to the supplies consumption, but I don't want them to do a random bombing mission and slow down my troops few hexes N-E of Sinyang, so I decided to down them.

OTHER

Nothing really relevant happens anywhere. Fusan reaches port lvl8 and I have strong hopes Hankow will reach AF lvl9 very soon.

In general, the only major operation remaining is in Java, so I'm not pressed to act anywhere: I prefer to minimize risks and losses and go on at a steady but safe pace.
Once the various components of some divisions are gathered in Babeldaob (tomorrow or the day after), I will ship them passing the in sea between Borneo and Mindanao. They are going to have a decent air and surface cover force. These guys are meant to be the ones of the so-called "3rd wave" in India, so I need to reform the divisions quickly.
Java itslef will be invested soon. I plan to invest it very directly from Singapore and use massed firepower to smash the defenders in short time. I lack of armored units, thoguh: only a couple of ARM are present (one of 57AV and the other on of 80AV); it shouldn't be a problem.

Other minor, but significant, operations are scheduled in short order: A) Tarakan (64th Brigade, already in Babeldaob); B) Balikpapan (GuardsMixedBrigade, now being transferred from Wake to Truk); D) Darwin (troops from Java).
The two oil-producing bases are in range of many good AFs, from which Thomas can send his B17s, but I hope to manage the threat somehow. Darwin is not a big deal in the end: I plan to conquer Wyndham, develop its AF and use it as logistical forward base.
Once I have a decent CAP in the place, I disband AKEs in the place and start bombing Darwin every single day with 10BBs and a dozen CAs. Then, I land in Darwin and farewell to the defenders. It's not going to be an elegant operation: massed firepower and brutal assaults. I am confident to be able to take the base extremely quickly.

ny59giants -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/1/2021 12:29:50 PM)

NavS - The Allies start with two PBY groups in the Philippines. The Brits/CW have a few short ranged groups with one small group in Malaya with Catalinas. So, unless he has moved them to India, you should be able to get close without being spotted.

India - no DBs unless he has sent 1 of 2 groups from Pearl....doubtful. Maybe some Vildebeest/Swordfish (TB), but unless he was able to get the short legged Buffalos into Burma via Port Blair, he will be very short of fighters. It takes about two months to get anything from USA here via Cape Town.

I've never invaded India and conquer all when I do play Japan, but I've wondered if taking Ceylon first and then jumping up to the three bases just north of Bombay to isolate Bombay and Karachi would work.

ITAKLinus -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/1/2021 1:42:46 PM)

05 JANUARY 1942
TURN 30

DEI

I land in Singkawang, where the Dutch defenders are badly outnumbered and will surrender the next turn.

One of the remaininf 2-3 British units in Malaya (at Temuloh) arrives at Kuala Lumpur and gets wiped out by attrition.

Invasion TFs not spotted yet, but KB out of position to launch the attack on Celyon. I should arrive tomorrow at 22hex from the enemy base.

PACIFIC

Nothing relevant. Sent 12 DDs in FastTransportTF to pick-up the remaining parts of the GuardsMixedBrigade at Wake: I don't want to risk more xAKs for the task, while DDs are fast enough to do everything safely.

CHINA

Tomorrow I attack Chengchow (is this the base?) south of Loyang. I have 1.250AV and I'll go in shock attack. Let's hope for the best.

OTHER

Tomorrow I'll purchase one more division from Onshu and send it to DEI. I should also be able to start moving the fragments of other divisions from Babeldaob to Singapore.

AVG is still defending Chittagong skies. Today I lose 5 A6M2s against only 4 of their numbers. All 5 pilots KIA. Not good, but it's a necessary evil: I need to sweep out of the skies those pilots and planes, so that I will have a smoother landing in Diamond Harbour.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

NavS - The Allies start with two PBY groups in the Philippines. The Brits/CW have a few short ranged groups with one small group in Malaya with Catalinas. So, unless he has moved them to India, you should be able to get close without being spotted.

India - no DBs unless he has sent 1 of 2 groups from Pearl....doubtful. Maybe some Vildebeest/Swordfish (TB), but unless he was able to get the short legged Buffalos into Burma via Port Blair, he will be very short of fighters. It takes about two months to get anything from USA here via Cape Town.

I've never invaded India and conquer all when I do play Japan, but I've wondered if taking Ceylon first and then jumping up to the three bases just north of Bombay to isolate Bombay and Karachi would work.

Thank you very much for the precious information and advice as usual. I haven't seen the Cats in Philippines area, but he has lost a couple in Sumatra. Now, I don't know whether he has sent them from Palembang to Java or from Palembang to India.
He has some DBs (at least 1 group) in Philippines and they are a PITA. I think he won't be able to bring them to India, though. Same for the Banshee groups from Australia.

Regarding Celyon: yeah, that's the big alternative to a Calcutta landing. I prefer landing in Calcutta because I believe that Celyon doesn't represent a problem: if he reinforces it, he needs unrestricted LCUs which are then hostage of my naval and air superiority. If he doesn't reinforce it, I can grab it with relatively few forces as soon as I have some free time.
It's not even a good base for airgroups, since I can very well destroy his AFs enough to damage many planes and then, without railways, he's obliged to lose them there when I do invade. And this is an optimistic scenario: if he doesn't use Dambulla as primary AF (base which needs a lot of work to become effective), he is vulnerable to random BombTFs on the other AFs.

Still, Celyon and then mainland toward Bombay is probably the only other alternative to a Calcutta landing. I prefer Calcutta also because I have experience in the operation and I think it's something that counts a lot in an invasion of India.

Let's see how he will react to my move there and thanks again for the advice!

ny59giants -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/1/2021 3:02:54 PM)

The reason I would advocate landing between Bombay and Karachi is to prevent the two Aussie divisions from making it into India and keeping the emergency reinforced stuck up at Aden.

PaxMondo -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/1/2021 3:09:29 PM)

Yeah, IF (intentional caps here) you can take Karachi and Bombay, it is huge. Really big. Bottling everything up in Aden is a big ouch for the allies. Tough to do though, not impossible, but it is tough.

ITAKLinus -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/1/2021 3:54:48 PM)

06 JANUARY 1942
TURN 31

DEI

I keep bombing troops around in Sumatra: reducing their numbers will spare some of my SNLFs... Really nothing serious going on.

Singakwang falls and the defenders move in the base East of it.

Enemy's DBs are present in Timor, where they bomb my troops marching toward Dili. I had A6M2s in LRCAP but they haven't been effective given the small numbers.

PACIFIC

Nothing happens. I attack the ex-defenders of Rabaul an push them further into the jungle.

CHINA

I launch my attack on Chengchow and it goes well as anticipated:
Japanese ground losses:
671 casualties reported

Squads: 0 destroyed, 66 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 14 disabled
Vehicles lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
15094 casualties reported

Squads: 440 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 1168 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 95 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 63 (63 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 10

Now I am in the process of attacking Loyang, but it will take some more days since I want to close the escape route in the hex N-W of it.

A tank unit in Loyang itself is smashed by the defenders and loses 15 tanks. Still, it did its duty admirably.

OTHER

India invasion TFs north of Port Blair the next turn. So far, they're still undetected, but who knows. KB will strike Colombo tomorrow, hoping in decent weather.

SITUATION IN CHINA:

[image]local://upfiles/59041/9116D690933B49A4AE04B8BA188E7745.jpg[/image]

ITAKLinus -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/1/2021 3:57:07 PM)

quote:

The reason I would advocate landing between Bombay and Karachi is to prevent the two Aussie divisions from making it into India and keeping the emergency reinforced stuck up at Aden.

I agree that's an interesting proposal, but for the so-called 3rd wave. I don't want to do my opening landings there: too risky. I first need to assess enemy's capabilities and establish a decent bridgehead somewhere. In case things go wrong for whatever reason, I want to have a relatively safe harbour in my hands.

For the 3rd wave... Well, it's not time yet [:D][;)]

ITAKLinus -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/1/2021 4:00:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Yeah, IF (intentional caps here) you can take Karachi and Bombay, it is huge. Really big. Bottling everything up in Aden is a big ouch for the allies. Tough to do though, not impossible, but it is tough.

The "if" is 'huge' and 'really big' [sm=00000280.gif][sm=00000280.gif][sm=00000280.gif]

It's too early to think about that. In any case, the key to everything beyond the LOD is Socotra, so I need to check what he will bring there first. If he decides to reinforce it super early for whatever reason, I won't do much in the continent.

I came to the conclusion that Socotra is the main element after I screwed up leaving it in allied hands in the PBEM I often mention here. In this one, if I have the occasion to do so, an eventual assault beyond the LOD is subordinate to the capture of Socotra.

ny59giants -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/1/2021 5:41:19 PM)

Socotra starts with a weak BF and needs supplies to fill out and recover disabled squads. Usually not on the list for Allies to reinforce unless one of the 'at start' brigades at sea is sent there. Most Allied player DO NOT plan for the 'line of death' to be violated. Case in point, I've never reinforced it or had thoughts of needing to do so....yet. [;)] Your current plan is what I would expect to happen. A drive up and through India.

ITAKLinus -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/2/2021 6:19:49 AM)

07 JANUARY 1942
TURN 32

DEI

Nothing new.

PACIFIC

I land reinforcements in Milne Bay.

CHINA

Chinese troops in Loyang are trying to escape the pocket I am creating, but I think they won't make it.

OTHER

I bomb Colombo with KB.
Damages are relatively negligible since I find cargo ships only in the place:
xAKL Haiyang, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Van Imhoff, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
KV Nigella, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk

AMc Cuttack, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
AMc Rampur, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
KV Aster, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Floridian, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
AM Cromarty, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
xAP Indora, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires
xAKL Santa Ana, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
xAP Poelau Telo, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires
AM Cromer, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
KV Thyme, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
xAP Tairea, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
KV Auricula, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AMc Agra, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAKL Selma City, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
xAK Indianan, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Chilka, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Khedive Ismail, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Takliwa, Bomb hits 1
xAK Nord, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Amra, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAP Hong Siang, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
xAKL Illinoian, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAKL Oklahoman, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
AS Lucia, Bomb hits 1
xAK Kiangsu, Bomb hits 1
xAK Jaladurga, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAKL Wosang, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

No CAP over Colombo. One Kate and one Val are lost.

AmphTFs are still unspotted and the vanguards can be see in the image below.

GULF OF BENGAL:

[image]local://upfiles/59041/7F8B3415F0F44AD3AEE05A6008CEE086.jpg[/image]

ITAKLinus -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/2/2021 8:11:25 AM)

08 JANUARY 1942
TURN 33

DEI

I conquer Dili, but lose Lautem in the process due to the absence of Japanese troops there.

Convoys from Balikpapan to Singapore leave the port, they carry various fragments of divisions.

PACIFIC

After the reinforcements have arrived, I manage to score a nice 1:1 in odds at Milne Bay. My losses are 1/3 of the enemy ones, so tomorrow I repeat the attack.

CHINA

I keep bombing Loyang, while the Chinese try to escape.

OTHER

I send the KB some hex WEST of Colombo and I sink some cargo ships. AmphTFs are somehow not spotted, the only one which is is the AirTF (DL 1/2) which today sunk an enemy xAP at Akyab.

KB strikes are quite pointless just like the ones of yesterday. In total I send 4 strikes at sea and one on Colombo:
xAKL Sarpen, Bomb hits 4, and is sunk
xAKL Elout, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAKL Honolulan, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Poelau Telo, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Kiangsu, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Fingal, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAKL Jalatarang, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk
xAKL Nordhval, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
xAKL Kwai Sang, Bomb hits 4, and is sunk
xAKL Elout, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAP Chilka, Bomb hits 10, and is sunk
KV Aster, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
xAK Nord, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk
xAK Indianan, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk
xAK Floridian, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
xAP Takliwa, Bomb hits 5, and is sunk
xAKL Illinoian, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk
xAKL Oklahoman, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
KV Auricula, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
xAKL Haiyang, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAKL Wosang, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
AMc Agra, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
xAKL Selma City, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage

KB will now go S-E to meet various AOs. Landing force for Diamond Harbour should end the next turn in front of the place, so in two days I land.

GULF OF BENGAL:

[image]local://upfiles/59041/A12103619DF94E86A932AE8ACF4EBC7A.jpg[/image]

ITAKLinus -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/2/2021 10:20:10 AM)

quote:

Socotra starts with a weak BF and needs supplies to fill out and recover disabled squads. Usually not on the list for Allies to reinforce unless one of the 'at start' brigades at sea is sent there. Most Allied player DO NOT plan for the 'line of death' to be violated. Case in point, I've never reinforced it or had thoughts of needing to do so....yet. [;)] Your current plan is what I would expect to happen. A drive up and through India.

I don't have the guts to skip everything and jump on Karachi/Socotra now.

Personally, I think the best way to do this trick is to land in Celyon first and then continue toward Karachi/Socotra, but it's too much for me. I prefer the old-style landing in Diamond Harbor and Madras area.

In line of principle, I deem feasible a sudden landing in Karachi/Socotra once I secured some kind of important bridgehead in India and I have reached the north coast (well, "north" accordingly to the orientation of the map) nad taken a port there. If I see the duo Karachi/Socotra relatively undefended, I might think that. Otherwise, I prefer the traditional land campaign: less risky and it has the additional reward of allowing allied troops to be sucked in the gigantic endless pit of India land warfare.

ITAKLinus -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/2/2021 2:22:16 PM)

09 JANUARY 1942
TURN 34

DEI

I landed in Ternate, which will fall tomorrow.

Landings happened also in the base SOUTH of Medan, which will (hopefully) be conquered tomorrow.

Nothing relevant to note.

PACIFIC

I finish off Milne Bay defenders and the 40th Australian Bn surrenders. I think a sub is evacuating the LCU present at Tagula Island. I let them go.

Apparently, Xenxen has focused his ENG in Cairns, which has already improved two levels of AF in few days.

CHINA

Advance to completely surround Loyang continues. It will take ages.

OTHER

My TFs are in full sight 1 hex out of Diamond Harbour. It's gonna be quite a shock for the opponent, I guess. Landing so early is a game changer regarding Calcutta defense.

His troops have finally been identified. 11 LCUs in Chittagong, marching SOUTH. Now he will pack them on trains and ship them away and I cannot really prevent it. In line of principle I can find a way to land tomorrow, conquer DH the next turn and, at the same time, land para. Then, with Mavis-TR, I can try to cut some railway lines... It should work. I'll see.

For the time being, I decided to bomb Chittagong with 3 BBs and, hopefully, produce massive casualties to the enemy. 4 CAs will take care of DH coastal guns.

PaxMondo -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/2/2021 4:59:29 PM)

First thing an allied player will do when India is threatened is to ensure Karachi ... Socotra maybe, but Karachi for sure ...

ITAKLinus -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/2/2021 5:42:01 PM)

10 JANUARY 1942
TURN 35

I) DEI

I take the base SOUTH of Medan and Singkep.

LRCAP over my guys at Dili nets me few allied planes for 1 ops loss.

Ternate falls.

II) PACIFIC

Nothing new. Usual B17s over my troops in Milne Bay.

Rabaul reaches AF lvl6 and Truk port lvl7. I can now send the ENG from Truk to other bases in the SoPac (they'll go to Rabaul and from there they'll be redirected).

III) CHINA

Usual bombings at Loyang. Ordered a ground bombardment as well.

IV) INDIA

I sink 4-5 HDMLs and 2 PCs in front of Diamond Harbour, then I land.
The amphibious assault goes smoothly with very few shots landed on my ships. 25 infantry squads and 5 tanks are destroyed.
Enemy force: 18AV.

Naval bombardment also in Chittagong, where my BBs make some casualties and prevent the enemy from railing somewhere.

I rebased a group of Mavis-TR at Moulmein, which itself is surrounded by enemy units, and I'll capture Comilla with a paradrop. Or, at least, hope to do so.

KB will refuel from AOs in two days. I screwed up and it's still around Celyon, not that I would need it somewhere.

Landings in Cocanda&co are going to be anticipated and will happen in a couple of days.

GULF OF BENGAL SITUATION:

[image]local://upfiles/59041/1D64729FA29D45B392DB82926FAC2006.jpg[/image]

ITAKLinus -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/2/2021 6:10:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

First thing an allied player will do when India is threatened is to ensure Karachi ... Socotra maybe, but Karachi for sure ...

As soon as he would see an AmphTF crawling past Celyon, he would put everyone in strategic movement and be able to reinforce Karachi. Eventually, he would reinforce both Karachi and Bombay, accordingly to his level of awarness.

I believe that heavily defending Socotra is a key element as soon as India is threatened, at least as much as Karachi.

ITAKLinus -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/2/2021 7:54:14 PM)

11 JANUARY 1942
TURN 36

I) DEI THEATER

Nothing happens.

II) PACIFIC THEATER

Nothing happens.

III) CHINA THEATER

I discover that there are only 600AV in Loyang. Not bad. Not good.

IV) INDIA THEATER
I capture Diamond Harbor and I sink various cargo ships which were trying to escape. 8 xAKL/xAKs are sunk.

Enemy airforce sends a small raid over my AmphTFs which are carrying support units but they don't achieve a single hit, losing one of their own due to FlaK.

Tomorrow I land in Cocanda.

My paradrop on Comilla meets various ART units and other supports on the rail. Sadly, I don't manage to take the base.

Now the question is whether it is worth to try to take Calcutta with the 4 divisions I just landed. It shows me only 5 units present in the city and I suspect there aren't many AVs.

DesertWolf101 -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/2/2021 8:03:05 PM)

If this is scenario 1 then I think at least 2 of those units are fixed in Calcutta, one a fort and one an HQ. I think it would be a good idea to take Calcutta as soon as possible as a supply base for your ongoing push.

ITAKLinus -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/2/2021 8:17:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DesertWolf101

If this is scenario 1 then I think at least 2 of those units are fixed in Calcutta, one a fort and one an HQ. I think it would be a good idea to take Calcutta as soon as possible as a supply base for your ongoing push.

Yes, I was thinking precisely that. Of these two units, one is the CD Fort William (72AV) and the other one is Eastern Command HQ.

Of the other units which start there at 7th Dec, I'm sure the 23rd Indian Mtn Regiment with its 8x3.7" guns is in Comilla on the trains. The other units are missing. Considering the large amount of "vehicles" listed in Chittagong, I tend to believe that he has brought there some of the tank units, but who knows.

Problem with Calcutta is that it is heavy urban and I have only 2.000AV to crush the defenders. Now, if there are like 200AV, it's fine. If there are more, I simply don't pass. Been there already in the past.

I suspect he has kept just the garrison required of 160AV and nothing more. If I can prevent reinforcements from arriving in the city, I can do the trick. 160AV against 2.000AV should guarantee me a safe margin: 160*4 of the heavy urban gives 640AV. Plus any level of forts. Plus the fact I am crossing a river.

My current idea is to cross the river in any case with the divisions, take a bridgehead and see. If the city is taken quickly, fine. If I cannot take it, I leave behind the most in shape division and withdraw the other ones for other duties. I expect one of the divisions to be completely smashed by the river crossing, though.
Since KB is in the area, I will be able to support the river crossing with a massive strike from my CVs.

EDIT: most likely he will have the various ISF/Militia with an a/soft of 12 against my guys with an a/soft of 22, so there is also this factor to be taken into consideration. I'm worried by reinforcements coming in before I cross the river, though.

EDIT #2: The CD units has 54ENG and Calcutta starts with forts lvl1, so I do expect it to be around lvl3 if he started fortifying from day-1. On the flip side, units there have abysmal levels of exp and morale (I suspect they improved the latter a little bit). I think it can be done if forts are at lvl2, but if they're higher it's gonna be a tricky business.

ITAKLinus -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/2/2021 9:47:12 PM)

11 JANUARY 1942
TURN 37

I) DEI THEATER

I manage to get Sambas and a base in Sumatra.

Landed in Sidate and Manado. Tomorrow they'll fall.

2xCVL plus the Kaga are passing between Borneo and Mindanao escorting various AmphTF. They sink some enemy xAKLs.

The allied player has landed in Lauten, which was mine until I moved my unit to Dili. The guys in Dili are heavily bombed and there is not much I can do currently. Sometimes, I set up a LRCAP trap from Makassar and Ambon, but that's not enough.

II) PACIFIC THEATER

Nothing new.

III) CHINA THEATER

I damage various Chinese LCUs and I free the first hex of the road connecting Loyang to Sian. It's going to take a while before I clean the next hex.

IV) INDIA THEATER

I bomb Calcutta during the night with 2 TFs, one of CLs and one of CAs. The one with CLs does little but it damages many a/c on the ground. The TF with CAs manages to destroy various planes. A DD hits a mine and arrives at Diamond Harbor in a desperate state: since the problem is the floating damage, I still hope to save it.

Billions of support units land in Diamond Harbour today. My LCUs are in move: the tanks toward EAST and the divisions toward NORTH (Calcutta itself).

Only three units shown in the city today.

My paradrop on Comilla goes badly with many Mavis-TR and Tina hit. The last surviving Mavis-TR is trasferred to Diamond Harbour, where I have just unloaded another INFp unit. I'll try to cut the railway connecting Chittagong to Calcutta in another hex: Comilla proved too complex.

Diamond Harbor AF is almost lvl2 today and it should reach the level tomorrow. It's a great news.
Tomorrow I plan to bomb the guys in Comilla with KB planes (9.000ft) and to sweep Calcutta itself with a couple of groups of A6M2s from KB.

Landings in Cocanda went very well. Tomorrow, I start moving the troops around: one division goes EAST, while the other ones go WEST toward Bezwada, real target of this invasion. No info yet about Madras and Hyderabad.

The 4 divisions for Calcutta did 18/46 today. Tomorrow, still in move, should reach 36/46. Then, it's going to be a couple of turns in combat mode before they reach the city. I hope the allies won't be able to make reinforcements arrive in the meanwhile.

GULF OF BENGAL:

[image]local://upfiles/59041/4E0C4EE3864346998024D81494634D4F.jpg[/image]

ITAKLinus -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/2/2021 10:09:44 PM)

Now the question for whoever reads is this: can I keep the troops on "move" mode when they do cross the river? Meaning: will they change automatically to "combat mode" once thei initiate the shock attack or they'll do it in "move" being smashed?

Hell, I've played thousands of turns and I keep forgetting these things......... [8|][8|][8|][8|]

Should have put the tanks in pursuit. I think they would have made it across the river with enough AV to make this question pointless.

ny59giants -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/2/2021 10:34:14 PM)

Since this is the initial move across the river, the stack will shock attack in "move mode." Any follow up move will not create a shock attack unless the AV of the LCUs is over a certain percentage of what is already in the hex. In this case Calcutta. Don't remember what that value is (I think its 1/3 as I would often break down my divisions going into Singapore to not trigger a shock and send 1 of 3 in each day). I hope you set the stack "to follow" and have a full strength division in the lead and not HQ. I've had too many bad experiences with the HQ as the LCU to be followed. Safe bet, have them all in combat mode. [;)]

EDIT - double check all your leaders to make sure they are good quality.

ITAKLinus -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/3/2021 9:10:54 AM)

quote:

Since this is the initial move across the river, the stack will shock attack in "move mode." Any follow up move will not create a shock attack unless the AV of the LCUs is over a certain percentage of what is already in the hex. In this case Calcutta. Don't remember what that value is (I think its 1/3 as I would often break down my divisions going into Singapore to not trigger a shock and send 1 of 3 in each day). I hope you set the stack "to follow" and have a full strength division in the lead and not HQ. I've had too many bad experiences with the HQ as the LCU to be followed. Safe bet, have them all in combat mode. [;)]

EDIT - double check all your leaders to make sure they are good quality.

Thank you for precise answer as usual.

It's indeed 30% of the defending AVs IIRC. The night has brought me wisdom and I have changed to "combat".

All the guys are following the 4th Infantry Division, which has exp of only 60: I hope that division will take the greatest amount of casualties, sparing the other three veteran ones.

Imperial Guards Division starts with a mediocre commander, but I changed it at the beginning. Now I don't remember the other ones, but I checked them before the assault to Singapore, so I suppose they're fine.

ITAKLinus -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/3/2021 9:31:48 AM)

12 JANUARY 1942
TURN 38

I) DEI THEATER

I conquer Manado and Sidate.
Two dutch units surrender SOUTH of Medan. The attack on the city itself will begin soon.

LRCAP trap over Dili nets me 10 enemy bombers for no losses.

In a couple of days I start the invasion of Java with the target of conquering the whole place before mid-February. I'm not in hurry.

I still have to coquer both Balikpapan and Tarakan, btw. Not a big deal: Dutch have been weakened and they have not enough ENG to pose a serious threat. My approach will be extremely simple: massive aerial bombing and then landing a brigade-sized unit in both.

II) PACIFIC OCEAN THEATER

A secondary Theater of Operations to me. Today I've unloaded various ENG in Rabaul and started loading some IJNAF Bns: they'll be sent to Lae/Salamua/Finshafen, where they will develop a little bit the infrastructures. With Buna in range for the AirHQ, these AFs will be relatively useful even if small.

The enemy is gathering some units in Terapo and supplying them with subs. I don't understand what's his logic, but I am ok with it.

III) CHINA THEATER

Tomorrow I should reach the hex N-W of Loyang with a unit, sealing the city. I ordered a shock attack to conquer the place and kill the defenders.

IV) INDIA THEATER

The situation is ever changing. Apparently, Thomas has decided he's not able to defend Calcutta and has withdrawn from the city. Two LCUs remaining accordingly to the recon: they're for sure the two static ones starting the game there.
I discover that the enemy presence at the Indo-Burmese border is quite relevant:
36th Indian Brigade
1/2 Det. West Coast
3rd Hyderabad Base Force
1/3 Det. West Coast
2nd Peshawar Base Force
77th Heavy AA Regiment
24th Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
4/2nd Det. NW Front
20th Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
AHQ India
3rd NW Frontier Base Force
1st South India Base Force
1st Peshawar Base Force
1st Central India Base Force
23rd Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
21st Light AA Regiment

Given the presence of these units in Comilla and the fact that I see various other ones in the area, I think he has sent everything he could in Burma, trying to exploit what was my apparent inactivity.

A paradrop takes Rangpur, important dot on the railway. I think this move should seal the fate of the enemy troops SOUTH-EAST of Calcutta. Tomorrow I will reach Jessore and cut the railway even there.

Diamond Harbor reaches AF lvl2 and tomorrow will arrive probably at lvl3. This is a great news, since I will soon be able to base there bombers.

Cocanda is taken and the 4 divisions there start marching toward Bezwada (3 IDs) and Vizagapatnam. I should have landed in the latter together with Cocanda, mistake from my side probably.
Cuttack won't be attacked by paras. The attack there is very important, but I decided that dropping my second para unit to Rangpur was more relevant: given the fact that the paradrop in Comilla has partially failed, I wanted to cut the railway connecting the area at the Indo-Burmese border and the rest of India. Once the troops in Comilla gets wiped out, I will paradrop the surviving fragment in Cuttack.

So far the invasion si proceding well, I'd say. If my impression is correct, the Allies will pay heavy price for having moved the bulk of indian forces to the Indo-Burmese border. Should also be said that I intentionally gave the impression of moving slowly in the area.

V) OTHER
Few reinforcements have arrived today, a couple of NavGuards at Tokio, an INFp at Kagoshima and various SNLF Coy at Truk/Babeldaob/Saipan. I will send these troops in the DEI, where I still need to conquer many bases.
The various AAs are instead sent to the PACIFIC THEATER, where they will improve my defences in key AFs.

I am starting to load OIL/FUEL from Miri and Palembang, but it's a complex duty: the bases are relatively exposed and I do not have (yet) the optimal setup in terms of TKs because many are still around the map.

GULF OF BENGAL:

[image]local://upfiles/59041/DC553BB0A78346AEA57C6180B235F15A.jpg[/image]

ny59giants -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/3/2021 11:14:53 AM)

It's always good practice to check your leaders of your divisions and brigades that you load unto ships after they are unloaded. One can fall off and drown and then you are stuck with some political hack in charge. [:D]

ITAKLinus -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/3/2021 3:02:38 PM)

14 JANUARY 1942
TURN 39

I) DEI THEATER

The last convoy of troops for Singapore from Babeldaob is attacked SOUTH of Mindanao by Vindicators. I have detatched a CVL few days ago to cover it and Claudes destroy the enemy attack.

Usual bombings on Dili, but I can't do much for those poor guys.

Last Malayan Army LCU, and Indian Brigade, surreders in Temuloh, which is contestually captured by Thai troops.

Enemy carriers show up SOUTH of Milne Bay and they blow up 3 good xAKs which were picking up the part of GuardsMixedBrigade which has conquered the place few days ago.
That's a sad news, but at least I know carriers are there.

My Betty/Nell from Rabaul don't attack because of weather. It's bad since it was a good opportunity to slip under enemy's CAP and they were well within range for torpedo attacks (15hex).

III) CHINA THEATER

Here I screwed up. As known, I was encircling Loyang, trying to occupy the non-base hex NORTH-WEST of it.
I had two units which did 7/46 each turn for a while and they were at 41 yesterday. Fairly sure of them to arrive (or at least one of them), I ordered a shock attack.
Turn out that they stopped at 45/46 and so the enemy escaped.
Still, I conquer Loyang intact with minimal losses:

Japanese adjusted assault: 2821
Allied adjusted defense: 53
Japanese assault odds: 53 to 1 (fort level 0)
Japanese forces CAPTURE Loyang !!!
Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(-), disruption(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
237 casualties reported

Squads: 1 destroyed, 37 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 15 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 7 disabled

Allied ground losses:
9613 casualties reported

Squads: 520 destroyed, 73 disabled
Non Combat: 1016 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 84 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 87 (73 destroyed, 14 disabled)
Units retreated 7
Units destroyed 1

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

They of course withdrew in the non-base hex N-W of Loyang. Well... Such is life.

I lose Shaohing, SOUTH-EAST of Hangchow in Shangai Bay. 32 destroyed squads.
There is no industry, so it's fine.
Few other fights around.

IV) INDIA THEATER

The enemy attack at Comilla but only few units have left the trains, so I resist.
Tomorrow I cross the river into Calcutta and so I ordered a bombing of the place.

Few cargo ships trying to escape are sunk by a joint effort of Petes (3 xAK/xAKLs) and Kates with bombs (4 xAKs).

KB strikes enemy troops EAST of Cocanda, who suffer quite big casualties in vehicles:
Allied ground losses:
105 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 9 destroyed, 9 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 31 (23 destroyed, 8 disabled)

Nothing really new happens a part from Diamond Harbor which reaches AF lvl3.

V) OTHER

Nothing relevant or new.

GULF OF BENGAL:

[image]local://upfiles/59041/AD351E5035B1480394BB47AFA19EF83B.jpg[/image]

ITAKLinus -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/3/2021 3:03:34 PM)

CHINA THEATER [NORTH-EAST]:

[image]local://upfiles/59041/87149FE275E54CC7A728CBE165DFD4B0.jpg[/image]

RangerJoe -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/3/2021 3:21:21 PM)

The paradrop that did not work should have taken any units out of strategic mode. If nothing else, that should help slow any units to your advantage.

ITAKLinus -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/4/2021 11:25:08 AM)

15 JANUARY 1942
TURN 40

I) DEI THEATER

A couple of CLs bomb Ambon but I don't lose any plane on the ground. The group of 9 A6M2-Zero will rest for a while.

The organisation of the Java offensive reaches its culmination and now everyone is ready to assault the big island.

Nothing new. After the carrier strike of yesterday, I am somewhat more cautious in moving TFs around.

A group of DDs loads supplies at Wake and start loading the fragment of the GuardsMixedBrigade still on the atoll. I'll need one more trip to completely bring the unit away.

III) CHINA THEATER

I cross the river N-W of Loyang and I meet the former defenders of Loyang itself:
Allied ground losses:
3144 casualties reported

Squads: 139 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 170 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 8 (4 destroyed, 4 disabled)
Units retreated 7

I lost 120 troops in the attack.

I fail in my first assault on the next hex of the road to Sian. I think I'll launch another attack in two days, when a full division will be in the place.

IV) INDIA THEATER

I capture Calcutta, basically intact. The two static units defending the city, withdrew. Shouldn't they be destroyed? Maybe they lost all the static devices.
Roughly 45.000ton of supplies are captured in the city. Don't remember the fuel, something like 15.000ton.

My paras at Comilla get wiped out by the allied forces, but it's really not a problem since those guys won't be able to escape much further.

It looks like Madras got evacuated. It's gonna be taken by the troops landed at Cocanda: 2 divisions march toward Hyderabad and 1 toward Madras. I expect a solid defense in Hyderabad. Another division is marching along the coast to the east.

V) OTHER

With the cheap capture of Calcutta, I think I sealed the fate of a good share of India. For sure, the troops in Burma and at the Indo-Burmese border are gone for good: bar a miracle, they're gonna be destroyed in the place.

My target is now to secure Java and the southern part of DEI with the help of KB, which is sailing back home right now. Also a safer deployment in the Salomon Sea is desired, but it's more a matter of ENG availability rather than the need of air cover.

Soon I will organise the landing in Diego Garcia. Celyon has been heavily reinforced as far as my recon can tell and I want to loosely close the access to it. Once I have Bezwarda, I should be able to fly very deep NavS in the area.

GULF OF BENGAL:

[image]local://upfiles/59041/1AFD671B5751482B890F3621571A4FF7.jpg[/image]

ITAKLinus -> RE: WITP: Logistician's Edition - Linus (J) vs Xenxen (A) (3/4/2021 1:58:02 PM)

16 JANUARY 1942
TURN 41

I) DEI THEATER

I land a JNAF Coy at Toboali. I will place a group of Petes there and use the base to keep AKEs disbanded. AKEs which will support the large amount of ships I will use in naval bombardment during the Java operation.

Xen sends dozens of planes on my ships from Java itself but I used intentionally a FastTransportTF: the fast and nimble targets posed by DDs and APDs are more than enough to avoid being hit. A single 30Kg bomb hits an APD creating no damages.

Amphibious forces will reach tomorrow Toboali, where I have put a LRCAP for the occasion. From there, they'll attack Java.

A CV and a CVL will act as distant cover. The CVL got today her A6M2-Zero and it will take some day before they are repaired.

Nothing new.

III) CHINA THEATER

Xenxen has evacuated Singyan, near Hankow. I will take the base tomorrow.

A couple of battles with relatively few losses happen around. Tomorrow I try another deliberate on the road to Sian. Fingers crossed.

IV) INDIA THEATER

I conquer Jessore and I keep marching around.

A couple of xAKs are sunk in front of Calcutta. Over 150 mines swept, so I hope tomorrow I will finish the job and make Calcutta's harbour available.

A DD hit by a mine yesterday, sinks. Another one is in poor shape at Diamond Harbour and will reach Calcutta's repairing shipyard as soon as the threat posed by mines is managed.

No allied movements around. Cannot see what is he doing because I lack of recon planes.

V) OTHER

Thai troops are marching from Chiang Mai to Burma. I hope Xenxen will defend the hex EAST of Pegu so that I will be able to land in Pegu itself and seal the fate of the entire Burma Army.

I am somehow in the process of organising the landings at Tarakan and Balikpapan. There is a group of Vindicator around (now at Jolo) and I need to provide adequate air cover to my ships. Also, US CVs are potentially in the area: they attacked some ships at Milne Bay a couple of days ago and might have slipped into the DEI.
A group of Mavis from Ambon will, hopefully, tell me what's happening around. Regrettably, I forgot to place a group of Betty at Makassar to do more NavS.

In few days, KB will be present but I'm going to do the landings with a very light cover before KB arrival. In line of principle, I hope that Kaga+2xCVL will be more than enough to deal with the two remaining US CVs. LBA support in the area is quite large, also.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI