RE: Today?? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

KG Erwin -> RE: Today?? (6/8/2004 3:42:34 AM)

Steeler, I noticed you were online, too. Remember the sense of anticipation when MCSE was about to be released? With 8.2, that anticipation is here again. It's exciting, like the night before Christmas, but I was one of the elves that worked to get it here. I'm sitting on edge, waiting for it to happen, and I hope you'll like it.

BulletMagnet -> RE: Today?? (6/8/2004 5:04:28 AM)

Im not starting college, im finishing it my last two years for my b.a then off to grad school.Im 34 with two kids and the wife config.sys and i feel like 45 until i get to school and see all those tan twenty year olds!!!! If you want a real vacation come hang with me for a week at campus.....

BulletMagnet -> RE: Today?? (6/8/2004 5:05:57 AM)

Oh and im a classics major.Im specializing in ancient history just look at my avatar and you can figure out who i prefer.I wish spwaw was made into other periods of gaming i.e napoleonic,civil war and ANCIENTS!!!

Rune Iversen -> RE: Today?? (6/8/2004 5:58:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BulletMagnet

Oh and im a classics major.Im specializing in ancient history just look at my avatar and you can figure out who i prefer.I wish spwaw was made into other periods of gaming i.e napoleonic,civil war and ANCIENTS!!!

Coincidentially so am I[;)]

KG Erwin -> RE: Today?? (6/8/2004 6:22:17 AM)

OK, going off-topic for a moment, but I have the Great Battles PC Collectors' Edition: Alexander, Hannibal and Caesar, with the scenario editor. This is now regarded as a valuable game--either you, Rune or Bullet Magnet have this? The timeframe for Caesar is completely wrong, but I still hear General Maximus saying, "At my signal, unleash Hell". The legions in "Caesar" were still the "brutimus maximus" of the time. [;)] A fantastic PC wargame series, based on the board games, done by the now defunct I-Magic.

Belisarius -> RE: Today?? (6/8/2004 7:19:18 PM)

quote:

Oh and im a classics major.Im specializing in ancient history just look at my avatar and you can figure out who i prefer.

Russell Crowe? [:'(]

[;)]

Hunpecked -> RE: Today?? (6/8/2004 9:31:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

...but I still hear General Maximus saying, "At my signal, unleash Hell".

It took me three viewings of that movie to realize he WASN'T talking about the dog! [8|]

BulletMagnet -> RE: Today?? (6/9/2004 12:11:01 AM)

Impperial Rome SillyBell! Have you every tried Centerion? I found it at underdog.org its been out of print for a decade methinks. Fun little game if you can stand vga graphics... There is something i liked about you Rune!!!!! (just teasing) This fall im taking greek history,clasical arch. and latin one im taking ancient egypt and clasic myth now.Fun Fun Fun..

jalefkowit -> RE: Today?? (6/9/2004 2:34:00 AM)

Have you ancients fans checked out this little gem yet?

Hoplites: http://digilander.libero.it/zak965/hoplites.htm

A free computerized card-based wargame based on GMT's old game SPQR. It's incredibly addictive. I'm no expert on ancients myself, but after a few rounds of Hoplites I start to see the attraction [;)]

Rune Iversen -> RE: Today?? (6/9/2004 9:56:44 AM)

quote:

Impperial Rome SillyBell! Have you every tried Centerion? I found it at underdog.org its been out of print for a decade methinks. Fun little game if you can stand vga graphics... There is something i liked about you Rune!!!!! (just teasing) This fall im taking greek history,clasical arch. and latin one im taking ancient egypt and clasic myth now.Fun Fun Fun..

Well, I am a BA (History with a selective source in archeology) and graduate student (that´s what it´s called right?). Right now I´m primarily working on a comparative analysis between Hellenistic and Roman warfare in the 3rd and 2nd century BC. On top of that I am co-writing an article for publishing (release date either 2005-2006 depending upon issue and deadline). I hope to go on a trip through the Netherlands, Luxembourg-Germany in the fall to study the archeology of the Limes along the lower Rhine.

Never a dull moment[;)]

Hussar -> RE: Today?? (6/9/2004 10:54:57 AM)

You might like to take a look at: http://www.totalwar.com and check out the ROME version due out this autumn. The Medieval version is horribly addictive and the 3D battles are pretty good. The Viking Invasion Add on is a must though.

hellcat -> RE: Today?? (6/9/2004 7:12:05 PM)

I've not played medieval yet but shogun was a great laugh

BulletMagnet -> RE: Today?? (6/10/2004 2:10:59 AM)

Wow! Rune thats awsome. your well on you way down "publishing road". I would love to read your stuff. I actually am thinking of doing up one on the early imperial age and how the army evolved to the aurelian age. Do you have some good links? If so feel free to pm me or even directly. I want to eventually do my grad work in Rome.

Rune Iversen -> RE: Today?? (6/10/2004 5:09:01 AM)

quote:

Wow! Rune thats awsome. your well on you way down "publishing road". I would love to read your stuff. I actually am thinking of doing up one on the early imperial age and how the army evolved to the aurelian age. Do you have some good links? If so feel free to pm me or even directly. I want to eventually do my grad work in Rome.

Well, here is the abstract for the article:

The spoils of victory:
From working hypothesis to archaeological truth

Abstract
This article is a critical analysis of some archaeological hypotheses that has blossomed out of the momentous “Römischer Import in Norden” by Ulla Lund-Hansen in 1987 and the publication of Himlingøje in 1995. Most especially we are concerned with analyzing how these working hypotheses of 1980es and 1990es in the catalogue to the exhibition “The Spoils of Victory” on the National Museum in Copenhagen in 2003-2004 has become fully fledged “archaeological truths” presented without conditions as “this is what happened”.
“The Spoils of Victory” is here criticized for choosing some very strained explanations for many problems, notably the unlucky connection between the weapon offerings and the Roman triumph, the notion of a South Scandinavian “client state” centered on the Danish islands and the doubtful arguments for the importance of the Teutoburgerwald battle in AD 9 and the Marcomannic Wars in AD 166-181.
Alternative explanations for the archaeological picture emerging from the finds are presented stressing the traditional South Eastern connection of South Scandinavia, the Nydam finds “Barbaric” appareance (contrary to the Illerup A and Vimose 2 who figure more prominently in the catalogue), and also alternative readings of the Roman written sources are offered.

11Bravo -> RE: Today?? (6/10/2004 3:18:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rune Iversen

quote:

Well, I am a BA (History with a selective source in archeology) and graduate student (that´s what it´s called right?). Right now I´m primarily working on a comparative analysis between Hellenistic and Roman warfare in the 3rd and 2nd century BC. On top of that I am co-writing an article for publishing (release date either 2005-2006 depending upon issue and deadline). I hope to go on a trip through the Netherlands, Luxembourg-Germany in the fall to study the archeology of the Limes along the lower Rhine.

Never a dull moment[;)]

[8D] Publish or perish...

Savor the feeling Rune. I am happy for you. But don't neglect developing marketable skills as well during your voyage through grad school. A surprising number of advanced degree holders end up in fields outside their concentration. Best time to prepare for that possibility is now.

Don Doom -> RE: Today?? (6/11/2004 12:34:28 AM)

Kristo Vaher -> RE: Today?? (6/11/2004 1:23:01 AM)

Must say that the discussion here has turned more than just off topic lol...

And still not a sign of 8.2

11Bravo -> RE: Today?? (6/11/2004 4:35:29 PM)

[:D]

I forgot what I was waiting for. What is going to be fixed in 8.2 anyway. Is there any reason not to play 8.1 or 8.0?

DoubleDeuce -> RE: Today?? (6/12/2004 2:27:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kristo Vaher

Must say that the discussion here has turned more than just off topic lol...

And still not a sign of 8.2

I think everyone is talking about "anything" to try and kill time and speed up the release [>:]

Kristo Vaher -> RE: Today?? (6/12/2004 2:42:46 AM)

D'amn beginning to feell like the 8.2 wont be here this month at all. After the so hopeful posts that it would be released like NOW weeks ago, people got their hopes up. Now were not getting any info on the progress at all, the last thing we heard was that the build is to be compiled next, but now it seems that it wasnt so after all and they decided to tweak this more and more. Hopefully for the good of gameplay. With this "final" tag they want to put on it, perhaps there will be panic and people, while trying to make it somewhat special or revolutionary, implement something not so nice.

Sad cause if it wont arrive in June then the next time Ill be online with capabilities to get the thing will be in autumn. It will be released before autumn I hope.

Goblin -> RE: Today?? (6/12/2004 3:34:25 AM)

It will be released before autumn I hope.

[sm=crazy.gif]

KG Erwin -> RE: Today?? (6/12/2004 3:38:57 AM)

Matrix' staff is off to the Origins Convention. You guys know the drill. No 8.2 yet. It's getting to the point that I'm tempted to release the OOBs independently, but guys, I can't do it. [:(]
Your moderator is getting very perturbed at the lack of progress, but I won't give up. The decision is not mine--it's all in the hands of the Matrix staff.

hellcat -> RE: Today?? (6/12/2004 5:24:17 AM)

KG with respect can we then please have someone from Matrix actually make a statement that they're willing to stick with, in all reasonableness this would be fair yes? Origins or not all they need to do is log in and post something official. No offense but this 'groundhog day' thing is starting to wear. (whatever smeghead says lol)

Smeghead -> RE: Today?? (6/12/2004 6:07:25 AM)

Heheh.. All I will say is:

[sm=party-smiley-012.gif]

Orzel Bialy -> RE: Today?? (6/12/2004 7:04:00 AM)

oh hum...I was just sitting around [image]http://forum.m4d.sm/images/smilies/pelota.gif[/image] to kill some time and thought I'd swing by to see what was new with 8.2.

But [image]http://forum.m4d.sm/images/smilies/azz.gif[/image] to my dismay I see that it still isn't ready. [:(]

But I won't complain...or [image]http://forum.m4d.sm/images/smilies/pc.gif[/image] anything that may start a fuss.

Guess I'll just head off and get some [>:] or maybe [image]http://forum.m4d.sm/images/smilies/sex.gif[/image] the wife. [:'(]

I'll check back in July to see what's up.[:D]

Kristo Vaher -> RE: Today?? (6/12/2004 10:04:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: hellcat

KG with respect can we then please have someone from Matrix actually make a statement that they're willing to stick with, in all reasonableness this would be fair yes? Origins or not all they need to do is log in and post something official. No offense but this 'groundhog day' thing is starting to wear. (whatever smeghead says lol)

Yeah something official is definetly needed. Cause we got two so-called statements by KG Erwin, one saying that 8.2 is done and will come out in 25th of May most likely. On 6th of May we learned that only thing to be done is put the build together (and me being a game developer, though in art department, knows that this takes some time, but not that long).

Now its 12th

Oh well, at least there will be some fun between Portugal and Greece tonight!

hellcat -> RE: Today?? (6/12/2004 7:59:16 PM)

Gunny! You say MG are 'off to Origins' what 12 days before it starts? are they walking there? [:D] Origins begins on 24th and you say they're off on 12th? You also say you are peturbed by a lack of progress... does this mean we're not looking at 8.2 in June? Please clarify your statement

Losqualo -> RE: Today?? (6/12/2004 8:03:50 PM)

quote:

Gunny! You say MG are 'off to Origins' what 12 days before it starts? are they walking there? [:D] Origins begins on 24th and you say they're off on 12th? You also say you are peturbed by a lack of progress... does this mean we're not looking at 8.2 in June? Please clarify your statement

Well I guess they have a lot of preparations to do. [:)]
And I bet Gunny doesn't now the exact date too. [:'(]

hellcat -> RE: Today?? (6/12/2004 8:59:20 PM)

and now... an anecdote...

I worked for a developer outfit once where the development team were constantly sidetracked off delivery milestones in order to work towards the next show the management were attending instead. Right up to the point of management being at the show and having the dev team ftp latest executables across to them. We even sent the same exe they already had in order to save a little time on working on the actual game and got the fantastic management response of 'Well done guys, it's really heading in the right direction now!' Eventually they worked it so 'the game' became merely a refinement of the demo a rather (as we say here) ass-about-face way of doing it but at least something could get done. The game got released (late and a buggy piece of crap) but the company died.

KG Erwin -> RE: Today?? (6/12/2004 10:39:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Losqualo

quote:

Well I guess they have a lot of preparations to do. [:)]
And I bet Gunny doesn't now the exact date too. [:'(]

Sorry guys, I didn't know the date of the Origins convention. Well, this clarifies things a bit, as I'm expecting a phone call from Dave H. sometime today. As I said earlier, the press release on 8.2 will be the official word. I'm making no more predictions. [:-]

However, if Dave calls, I'll remind him that my birthday is on June 17. [;)]

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI