Progress? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Major Tom -> Progress? (5/2/2000 12:23:00 AM)

I wholly suppose that everyone at the Matrix Games is getting organized and familiar with it's new arrival. But, I was wondering what plan is being put forward for the New Version of Pacific War? Will it be like the other version, and update the old game? Or will it be a totally new program? Possibly a rough outline of the proposal would quell most of our questions. Also, is there any present release time? Nothing detailed, but something like, a year, half a year, a year and a half, etc. just something to put it in perspective. Thanks a lot.

Dunedain -> (5/9/2000 8:54:00 AM)

I was really looking forward to playing the updated PW this year. And while I am excited at the prospect of Grigsby himself coming onboard to work on the game, I hope this doesn't cause a huge increase in the delay before the game will be ready. [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] I loved the new maps you guys at Matrix Games had made for PW, it looked fantastic and I hope it will still be used. The original PW has so many great features that I would like to see the game updated as was planned, as opposed to a whole new game being made. What are the current plans? [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Mike Wood -> (5/9/2000 8:06:00 PM)

Hello... We will be having several meetings this week, at which we hope to decide how to proceed. In the PacWar remake, we were changing operating systems, the computer language the program was written in, going from 640x480x4 bit color to 800x600x32 bit color and had added a goodly sized number of variables to the combat system. So, we were not actually going to be using a single line of code from the old SSI code. The remake would have been a game that looked sort of like and played sort of like PacWar. Now that we are starting from a clean slate, we will have to decide how the game should should look and play. We will have to decide the scale, turn length, how strategic to make the game and so on. I loved the way that Gary's original design played. It is my favorite game of all time. I would like to see WAJ look and feel very much like it, although with nicer colors and sound effects and so on. When I know more, you will I tell more. Until that time, please continue to say what you would like in the game. I read every single post and have keep an end user wish list right here on my desk. Thanks a Lot... Michael Wood, Matrix Games

Rhino -> (5/10/2000 12:23:00 AM)

Hi Mike, I know you're busy, but from one programmer to another, what language are you guys using to convert/write your own code for windows? Visual C/C++, Vanilla C, or Delphi? I'm starting to delve into some Windows programming of my own and wonder what you would recommend. I'm really looking forward to purchasing this game from you guys when it come out! --Rhino

Mike Wood -> (5/10/2000 12:45:00 AM)

Hello... The original game was written as a Borland DOS overlay program. The rewrite was being written in Borland C++ Builder. War in the Pacific will probably be written in Visual C++. Some games are written in one of the above. I wrote "Fleets of Honor" in Visual Basic and have written other games. such as "Dark Woods", in Delphi. The specific language you choose to use is not of great consequence.
quote:

Originally posted by Rhino: Hi Mike, I know you're busy, but from one programmer to another, what language are you guys using to convert/write your own code for windows? Visual C/C++, Vanilla C, or Delphi? I'm starting to delve into some Windows programming of my own and wonder what you would recommend. --Rhino
I usually choose the language that will accomplish the desired task in the least amount of time. At Novastar, I wrote most things in Pascal, Borland C and Quick Basic. All compilers are pretty much the same. I usually write things that need to run very quickly as Macro-Assembler modules. Bye... Michael Wood Matrix Games

Dunedain -> (5/10/2000 4:48:00 AM)

Thanks for the response, Mike. [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] I agree with you that I would like this game to be PW with nice colors and sounds and with the neat extra features you guys were working on adding. And, of course, any known bugs/cheats removed. I hope that will be the case because, as you said, the way PW works now is pretty great, it just needs some more polish on the rough edges. [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] I'll try to provide any good ideas I can think of as you have requested. [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] By the way, have you guys kept a record of all the ideas and bug reports that were posted on the old PW forum from a couple months ago before it went down?

Mike Wood -> (5/10/2000 7:47:00 AM)

Hello... War in the Pacific (WIP) will be new code and therefore, should not have any of the PacWar bugs, as these are code dependant. It will have a new set. Yes, we track user input. Bye... Michael Wood, Matrix Games

Dunedain -> (5/10/2000 7:58:00 AM)

Ah yes, with all new code no need to worry about the same bugs. [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Peter Bollmann -> (5/10/2000 4:40:00 PM)

I am not in software production but I heard that 70% of software errors are design errors and not code errors. For example if in the old PACWAR I can build mustangs in Calcutta I would consider this as a design error. Hence I think writing new code does not make all the old bugreports obsolete.

Feinder -> RE: (4/25/2007 10:50:47 PM)

A bump for one of the oldest, threads in the WitP forum database.

It's the first where a WitP Dev (good ol' Mike!) chimed in...

Yes, I'm a little bored.
-F-

AmiralLaurent -> RE: RE: (4/25/2007 10:58:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

Yes, I'm a little bored.
-F-

You know that for some minutes I really believed we were speaking of WITP II... It just seemed strange that no more than one message about it was on this forum...

Feinder -> RE: RE: (4/25/2007 11:05:52 PM)

I just thought it was kinda interesting to:
1.  No max on number of threads.
2.  Max page to the end.

If you're bored, the genesis of WitP is mildly interesting reading.  I was going to comb thru, to find a post by somebody that's still active.  I thought it was little sad that I didn't recognize any of the fist posters.  I wondered how many had actually bought game (certainly none of them are still active in on this forum at least).

I joined the forums in 2002, when hearing that "a massive Pacific war game was in development, down the PT-boat level".  My brother & bought UV, and played it extensively, posting in the forums there.  Then moved to WitP when it came out.

-F-

jwilkerson -> RE: RE: (4/25/2007 11:06:37 PM)

I too was wonder what this was until I looked at the dates [:D]

They are actually talking about our WITP .. but they are talked 6+ years ago ... looking forward to the "new game" that we have been playing for the past 2+ years!!!

Feinder -> RE: Progress? (4/25/2007 11:16:16 PM)

Here's a thread where Mogami get's excited about WitP being on the drawing board...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=71301

-F-

Terminus -> RE: Progress? (4/25/2007 11:19:06 PM)

Good Lord, talk about... I'm not even sure what this is called...[:D]

Feinder -> RE: RE: (4/25/2007 11:39:34 PM)

I see Admiral Scott has also been slumming the WitP forum for LONG time!

Note Dave Heath's exuberance in bragging about the "upcoming" WitP...!

Could Be The Largest Computer Wargame of All Time!

And Dunedain (from this thread), still pokes around (doesn't post much tho) - his last post was Feb 2007, but I expect he still checks in occasionally.

AmiralLaurent -> RE: RE: (4/26/2007 12:08:00 AM)

You're really bored, are you ?

Feinder -> RE: RE: (4/26/2007 12:35:45 AM)

Bored - Yep.

Just sitting here tossing pencils at the ceiling.

Had a dentist appointment this morning, so got to the office late. So staying here on good concience. Nobody here. Just me surfing.

I did find a good pic of Mystery Ship #50. I think it's from a private collection, so hopefully won't be available on most of y'alls insta-Google sites. But I don't have my current "mystery list", where I give credit to previous posters. So I'll have to wait to post it until I get home.

-F-

rtrapasso -> RE: RE: (4/26/2007 2:09:07 AM)

quote:

Bored - Yep.

Just sitting here tossing pencils at the ceiling.

Ah, Feinder, your secret identity might have just been revealed... AGENT FOX MULDER!!! [X(] [:'(]

It is (or was) a well known fact he was addicted to throwing pencils into his acoustic ceiling tiles when bored!

madflava13 -> RE: RE: (4/26/2007 2:15:35 AM)

This is actually a really neat thread. I've been around here since 2001 I believe, and I remember when this was just a concept announcement, with no more specifics...

donkuchi19 -> RE: RE: (4/26/2007 2:38:10 AM)

I joined the forum when I found about EIA being turned into a computer game. I came to the site and found WITP too. I was hoping that they wouldn't be released close together so I would have time to play one before the other. I guess I got my wish.

TheElf -> RE: RE: (4/26/2007 7:57:39 AM)

reading this thread is almost like time travel...."I come from your future with knowledge of wondrous new technology...."

bradfordkay -> RE: RE: (4/26/2007 8:35:43 AM)

(certainly none of them are still active in on this forum at least).

I think that we lost Major Tom when he stepped out of the capsule some years ago...

Charles2222 -> RE: RE: (4/26/2007 9:49:42 AM)

Feinder: If you look at the member list, it's quite amazing how many people bothered to sign up, but then didn't even make a single post. I signed up on 5/17/200 under my old logonid of Charles22. I lost the old logonid when they switched formats.

As a rough guess, I would say 90%, or higher, of the members never got their posts into double digits.

m10bob -> RE: RE: (4/26/2007 11:18:14 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

Feinder: If you look at the member list, it's quite amazing how many people bothered to sign up, but then didn't even make a single post. I signed up on 5/17/200 under my old logonid of Charles22. I lost the old logonid when they switched formats.

As a rough guess, I would say 90%, or higher, of the members never got their posts into double digits.

Yep...several of us have had several logonID's....

Sardaukar -> RE: RE: (4/26/2007 12:16:40 PM)

I did join because of old Pacific War and then Steel Panthers. Nowadays I usually waste my time here on WitP forum...[:'(][8D]

Good old times ! [:D]

pauk -> RE: RE: (4/26/2007 12:32:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay
I think that we lost Major Tom when he stepped out of the capsule some years ago...

we lost him before 37 years![:D]

[image]local://upfiles/4569/BC3242F1CB194822A7D2265BB86A98E5.jpg[/image]

Sardaukar -> RE: RE: (4/26/2007 1:29:23 PM)

Hmmm...MatrixGames have Area 51 ? Or...maybe this is "Matrix" ? [:D]

castor troy -> RE: RE: (4/26/2007 9:45:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

Yes, I'm a little bored.
-F-

OMG I started reading this thread and wondered what it was all about! Then I came to your post and realized that this thread is 7 YEARS OLD! [sm=fighting0056.gif] [;)]

Knavey -> RE: RE: (4/26/2007 10:53:15 PM)

Methinks my brother (Feinder) is not too busy at work!  [:D]

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI