Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/3/2006 7:47:45 AM   
Froonp

Hello,

These are awesome !

Hey, even if awesome they are, may I ask for someting more ?
The real counters do not have it, but in fact they have it somehow (on the back of the counter with the cost, and the little graphic) but would it be possible to add on the counter, before the name, the type of ship it is ? BB, CA, CL, CV, CVL ?

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 391
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/3/2006 7:55:13 AM   
Froonp

I think that those graphics on the counters, associated with the graphics of the map, all that added to the graphics of the coasts, rivers and lake (only Europe is ready for the moment) are a great achievement. Not to forget the rails, that are great too !

Even if the graphics should be a third class item for a strategy computer game (the first class item should be AI, and the second class should be a good system), I'm very pleased we have the WiF graphics in MWiF.

As Stretch had said, you can feel this is WiF !!!!

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 392
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/3/2006 11:20:14 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

Hello,

These are awesome !

Hey, even if awesome they are, may I ask for someting more ?
The real counters do not have it, but in fact they have it somehow (on the back of the counter with the cost, and the little graphic) but would it be possible to add on the counter, before the name, the type of ship it is ? BB, CA, CL, CV, CVL ?

It is trivial to add. It does take up some space. For example, BB Massachusetts would just barely fit (I guess). I would advise against using CVL, and instead, just use CV for both CV's and CVL's.

Now I wonder how many people I outraged with that comment? - But I make it seriously, because I begrudge using the extra space required for the 'L'. As it is, I am going to have to abbreviated the "Franklin Delano Roosevelt" to just "F. D. Roosevelt".

I do not like using two lines for the names here. It is just so much cleaner with one line of text under the ship's graphic.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 393
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/3/2006 11:37:21 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

I think that those graphics on the counters, associated with the graphics of the map, all that added to the graphics of the coasts, rivers and lake (only Europe is ready for the moment) are a great achievement. Not to forget the rails, that are great too !

Even if the graphics should be a third class item for a strategy computer game (the first class item should be AI, and the second class should be a good system), I'm very pleased we have the WiF graphics in MWiF.

As Stretch had said, you can feel this is WiF !!!!

Thanks. That is the specification I am trying to satisfy.

As to strategy games and what they need, I would not give the map and counters a lower importance. If you play a game a lot, you want good graphics. Unless the map and counters have some diversity, they become boring.

I agree the AI opponent is important.

I do not know what you mean by "good system". In its place I would put 2 elements: a game that is interesting/challanging to play and an excellent player interface. I have full confidence that WIF satisfies the first of those criteria.

At this stage of the product develpoment I am gradually shifting my focus to the second one: the player interface. That is what the sequence of play diagrams were all about. It is my intention to focus exclusively on each of the sections in the sequence of play and tailor a piece of the player interface specifically to that section. The player should be able to make well informed decisions with minimal fuss and bother. Those are often contradictory goals, but that just makes doing it right so much more satisfying.

Anyway, all 4 of those aspects of a strategy game are crucial in my opinion, and I do not know that I would give any one of them a higher standing than the others. They are like car wheels, if you don't have all 4, you aren't going anywhere.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 394
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/3/2006 11:49:55 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
I do not like using two lines for the names here. It is just so much cleaner with one line of text under the ship's graphic.

Maybe it is just cleaner, but there is room for 2 lines of text.
There are very few ships who have long names, so it would not be a problem if all those ships had their full names on 2 lines.
I think about the little known Russian or German ships names. It is good to finally see their whole name, and be able to understand a little of their meaning.

For the CVs, it would be better if the CVLs had CVLs written.

Post #: 395
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/3/2006 12:00:19 PM   
Froonp

quote:

I do not know what you mean by "good system". In its place I would put 2 elements: a game that is interesting/challanging to play and an excellent player interface. I have full confidence that WIF satisfies the first of those criteria.

A "good system" is a well though game (rules & mechanics) about a subject that I like (theme).
An example of missed opportunity for my taste, is Gary Grisby's World at War. It is a subject I love, but it is done in a way I do not like, so this game is not for me at all.

quote:

(...)
Anyway, all 4 of those aspects of a strategy game are crucial in my opinion, and I do not know that I would give any one of them a higher standing than the others. They are like car wheels, if you don't have all 4, you aren't going anywhere.

Well, back in the glorious time of Commmodore 64 computers, and magnetic tapes for storing data, I was frantically playing Crusade in Europe from Microprose, and its graphics were very very poor.
Same for all the old SSI games that I played heavily too (Warships, Panzer Strike, Typhoon of Steel, etc...) and the great SSG games (great AI) (Battlefront game system, Carriers at War...)....
All had very poor graphics, and I loved them for their system, theme & AI (for the SSG games, as the SSI games had virtualy none).
Even the player interface was ranking far behind, as when you are motivated for playing some game about an era you like, you learn the interface easily and even if it is poor, you can play the game with the eyes closed after a few (?) hours.

Post #: 396
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/3/2006 12:11:51 PM   
amwild

quote:

It is trivial to add. It does take up some space. For example, BB Massachusetts would just barely fit (I guess). I would advise against using CVL, and instead, just use CV for both CV's and CVL's.

Now I wonder how many people I outraged with that comment? - But I make it seriously, because I begrudge using the extra space required for the 'L'. As it is, I am going to have to abbreviated the "Franklin Delano Roosevelt" to just "F. D. Roosevelt".

The ship graphics are wide but not high, leaving quite a bit of space. You could put the unit type BB/BC/CV/CVL etc. into the area just above the graphic on the left, for example, rather than appending it to the unit name.

As someone without much experience with WiF, and without any experience at all with a version of WiF which has named units, I had to go by the graphics to determine the type of ship, and only then figured out that some of the shapes upon which some of the numbers are printed give a clue to unit type. Even so, I don't know if some of the non-carriers are BBs, BCs, CAs, CLs, DDs, FFs or whatever, just by looking at their names.

While I understand (mostly) what the unit types mean, other WiF newcomers may not, but they will learn faster what units are what with the unit types than without them.

As a related side issue, I would suggest that the help files include a definition of the unit type letter code, and any unit description have both the letter code and its meaning.

Post #: 397
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/3/2006 12:13:46 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

Maybe it is just cleaner, but there is room for 2 lines of text.
There are very few ships who have long names, so it would not be a problem if all those ships had their full names on 2 lines.
I think about the little known Russian or German ships names. It is good to finally see their whole name, and be able to understand a little of their meaning.

For the CVs, it would be better if the CVLs had CVLs written.

Ok, I'll give you the CVL. I wrote the code for this and it looks better with the CVL.

I am sticking with 1 line for the name though. I will have to abbreviate BB Mass. and BB B. H. Richard.

The full name will be kept and shown when the details of the unit are presented in a separate box that describes the unit. The abbreviation will only apply for what is shown on the counter.

The aesthetic I am using here is that the abbreviation (though painful to use) is better than crowding the text onto the counter. I like the image of the ship being larger (a more dominant graphic element) than the text for its name.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 398
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/3/2006 12:25:40 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: amwild
quote:

The ship graphics are wide but not high, leaving quite a bit of space. You could put the unit type BB/BC/CV/CVL etc. into the area just above the graphic on the left, for example, rather than appending it to the unit name.

As someone without much experience with WiF, and without any experience at all with a version of WiF which has named units, I had to go by the graphics to determine the type of ship, and only then figured out that some of the shapes upon which some of the numbers are printed give a clue to unit type. Even so, I don't know if some of the non-carriers are BBs, BCs, CAs, CLs, DDs, FFs or whatever, just by looking at their names.

While I understand (mostly) what the unit types mean, other WiF newcomers may not, but they will learn faster what units are what with the unit types than without them.

As a related side issue, I would suggest that the help files include a definition of the unit type letter code, and any unit description have both the letter code and its meaning.

Yes, I thought about placing the BB et al somewhere else, but I just like the "CV Coral Sea" and BB New Jersey". If you learn to say carrier when you see CV and battleship when you see BB, then these become "the carrier Coral Sea and the battleship New Jersey were engaged with the Japanese fleet ..." Separating the BB loses a little something. Perhaps I am being overly senstitive? Oooh, how about placing the BB above left (as you suggested) but only if the name is so long it wouldn't fit in front of the name? Two different styles for the same item (always incorrect for design work), but a possible compromise.

Yes, not translating all abbreviations is a pet peeve of mine. Though I find it is really hard to remember to define them when you use them. The help system has to include translations for CA et al.

Steve

(in reply to amwild)
Post #: 399
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/3/2006 12:42:07 PM   
Froonp

quote:

Yes, I thought about placing the BB et al somewhere else, but I just like the "CV Coral Sea" and BB New Jersey". If you learn to say carrier when you see CV and battleship when you see BB, then these become "the carrier Coral Sea and the battleship New Jersey were engaged with the Japanese fleet ..." Separating the BB loses a little something. Perhaps I am being overly senstitive?

I agree with this.

quote:

Oooh, how about placing the BB above left (as you suggested) but only if the name is so long it wouldn't fit in front of the name? Two different styles for the same item (always incorrect for design work), but a possible compromise.

I don't like this.

quote:

I will have to abbreviate BB Mass. and BB B. H. Richard.

This is ultimately ugly (also, Bon Homme Richard is a CV)

Really, as amwild said it too, there is space verticaly, so why not give it a try ? You can anchor the middle of the text zone in a definite place in the counter (in place of anchoring the top of the text zone to a place), so that names that are on 1 line are not higher than names who are on 2 lines, so only some ships will be crowed wit their names.

It will only concern a handfull of ships (10 at most), but it will be sooooo pretty !!!!!

Parizhskaya Kommuna, Oktyabr'skaya Revolutsiya, Sovetskaya Belorussiya, Sovetskaya Ukraina, Schleswig-Holstein thats sooooo great !!!!

< Message edited by Froonp -- 5/3/2006 12:44:52 PM >

Post #: 400
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/3/2006 1:04:20 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

Yes, I thought about placing the BB et al somewhere else, but I just like the "CV Coral Sea" and BB New Jersey". If you learn to say carrier when you see CV and battleship when you see BB, then these become "the carrier Coral Sea and the battleship New Jersey were engaged with the Japanese fleet ..." Separating the BB loses a little something. Perhaps I am being overly senstitive?

I agree with this.

quote:

Oooh, how about placing the BB above left (as you suggested) but only if the name is so long it wouldn't fit in front of the name? Two different styles for the same item (always incorrect for design work), but a possible compromise.

I don't like this.

quote:

I will have to abbreviate BB Mass. and BB B. H. Richard.

This is ultimately ugly (also, Bon Homme Richard is a CV)

Really, as amwild said it too, there is space verticaly, so why not give it a try ? You can anchor the middle of the text zone in a definite place in the counter (in place of anchoring the top of the text zone to a place), so that names that are on 1 line are not higher than names who are on 2 lines, so only some ships will be crowed wit their names.

It will only concern a handfull of ships (10 at most), but it will be sooooo pretty !!!!!

Parizhskaya Kommuna, Oktyabr'skaya Revolutsiya, Sovetskaya Belorussiya, Sovetskaya Ukraina, Schleswig-Holstein thats sooooo great !!!!

Maybe. Let me sleep on it - its midnight (again) and my ability to make intelligent decisions is fading rapidly.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 401
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/4/2006 11:22:17 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I have updated the placement of the unit names for the bombers. As part of that I set up a second name in the database (CSV file) for some of the units. If there is no second name, then the primary name is used. So, I only had to create specially formatted/hyphenated names for some the more difficult units. Patrice sent me information on how to name units which helped a lot too.

Here are the Italian aircraft with improved nomenclature. I need to hyphenate some of the bomber names and eventually the SM.82 will have its range (white circle) repositioned above the wing. Note the problem with the Japanese tank buster. I plan on changing the outline for the circle from black to white. Then the black text for the name will be legible - right now it looks messy because they are both black.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 402
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/4/2006 11:26:41 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

So far, I only have about 10% of the air and naval units as bitmaps. But I was worried about some the of the longer British names.

Surprisingly most of them are not a problem. The night-mission capable aircraft will need to have their name abbreviated. Notice that the Mosquito name easily fits on the non-night fighters. of course the Beaufighter is always a problem. But happily the Wellington and tbe Sunderland look ok.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 403
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/4/2006 11:35:15 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Last in the series. These were my primary focus for the last set of revisions. I need to move some of the plane images higher in the frame to get away from the extended range icon. I already moved them some. The Liberators have a long way to go though. I made some progress on the Skymaster (probably the hardest unit for which to get the graphics to fit). I will move the white range circle down and to the left and change the white L to a NATO infantry corps symbol - which will go above the right wing.

However, I am going to put all of these aside and wait for the remaining 90% of the bitmaps. The system for doing this looks like it works ok.

I'll make another pass at the naval units tomorrow.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 404
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/5/2006 12:26:32 PM   
Neilster

They look a bit "leery". I prefer the original. Great work overall though. Looking good.

Cheers, Neilster

quote:

Hello,

Watching at the planes profiles closer, I spotted something strange.
Look at the picture below.
The top couple of planes are from your latest screenshot.
The middle one is from a scan of the actual countersheet.
The last one is a screenshot from the PDF version of the countersheet found in ADG's Companion CD 2.

Why is there this difference in the camouflage of the planes ?

It is not limited to those planes, all the planes have strange camouflages.
Here, the F2A & P-40 camo looks like a tiger skin.
Is there something the graphic artist is doing that distord the camo ?

< Message edited by Neilster -- 5/5/2006 12:28:58 PM >

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 405
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/5/2006 12:31:02 PM   
Froonp

What is leery ?
I don't understand. which ones do you prefer ? Over which ?

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 406
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/5/2006 8:17:16 PM   
Mziln

Main Entry: leery
Pronunciation: 'lir-E
Function: adjective
: SUSPICIOUS, WARY

I don't understand either

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 407
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/8/2006 11:41:54 AM   
Neilster

quote:

What is leery ?

Sorry. I was in a hurry. I meant that I like the designs on the cardboard counters. The new ones look too "busy".

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 408
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/8/2006 12:26:08 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

What is leery ?

Sorry. I was in a hurry. I meant that I like the designs on the cardboard counters. The new ones look too "busy".

Cheers, Neilster

I assume you mean the cameo? The rest of the counter is the same to my eye.

Steve

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 409
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/8/2006 12:46:37 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I have been working on getting two lines of text under the ships to accommodate the longer names. I believe I have this mostly worked out. There were difficulties to get it to scale well, but I've gotten that in hand now.

My solution was to offset the movement point number to the left of center (number in orange circle). That let me raise the image of the ship higher in the frame without it overlapping the orange circle. The extra room below the ship image could then be used for the second line of text.

What remains is to:

1 - center the text vertically when there is a single line.

2 - raise the text 1 more pixel when there are 2 lines of text, so the distenders don't overlap the yellow circle.

3 - leave the movement points (orange circle) in the center when the unit is a convoy (the unit between the BBs Pennsylvania and the New Hampshire is a convoy unit of size 27 = 27 convoy units). The final graphic image for convoys will be tall but there will just be a single line of text: "Convoy".

4 - change the offset from the movement points from 10 to 9 so it has some space when the ship-to-ship combat factor is double digits (e.g., for the BB New Hampshire).

5 - go through all the ship names and make sure the longer ones are abbreviated so they fit. I might be able to get Delano in if I move it to the second line.

I am trying out new screen capture software here (HyperSnap 6).

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 410
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/9/2006 3:52:37 AM   
tigercub

yes it seems to work well! CV Bon Homme Richard and so on look great.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

Post #: 411
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - 5/9/2006 6:58:08 PM   
ravinhood

I would so rather you change Japan color to the YELLOW (Rishing SUN <~~~ yellow) and China to a Light color or red or something. It just don't seem right Japan being RED....China should be RED as in RED CHINA that we know today. ;) Just my 2 cents.

Post #: 412
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/9/2006 7:15:44 PM   
Froonp

quote:

2 - raise the text 1 more pixel when there are 2 lines of text, so the distenders don't overlap the yellow circle.

It seems to me that the names on the cardboard counters are closer from the graphic of the ship.
I'm sure you could have the graphic lower, even if only a couple from the 2-lines texts, so that you could center the Orange Circle.
The Yellow & Orange circles could be smaller also.

Post #: 413
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/9/2006 8:48:40 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

It seems to me that the names on the cardboard counters are closer from the graphic of the ship.
I'm sure you could have the graphic lower, even if only a couple from the 2-lines texts, so that you could center the Orange Circle.
The Yellow & Orange circles could be smaller also.

The distance between the text and the ship image for the cardboard counter remains the same no matter how far you hold it from your eye. To do the same for the text on the screen at all levels of zoom is quite difficult. In particular, the ship images are not all precisely in the same place vertically, from counter to counter. There is variation due to the fact we are copying the image from the ADG counters. Registration is not perfectly consistent over the 1000+ naval units (once we add in the units from Cruisers in Flames and Convoys in Flames).

Centering the orange circle strikes me as a minor thing to give up in our attempt to mimic the board game. In reality, I prefer the offset because it helps me remember that the top (offset) number is the weirdo aspect of ship movement. The yellow number at the bottom (range) tells you how far the units can move while the top number lets you calculate the excess 'movement' points it can expend in a sea area once it arrives.

If I were doing this from scratch, that top number would only be the excess. For example, a naval unit with a range of 4 and movement points of 6 would be labeled as 4 movement points and 2 'patrol' points. What is currently known as a 6 - 6 would be a 6 - 0. The use of the words range and movement points I have always found confusing and that has not changed over the 20 years I have been playing the game. I prefer movement points and patrol points where any unused movement points can be added to the patrol points. That is how I think of it when playing. The double 6's are very confusing.

Reducing the size of the circles might be possible, but the margin/space around the numbers seems about right to me. If you look at the squares, which use much less margin, they seem a little tight vertically. Not so bad that I would bother changing the code though.

This is my first post with my new computer and it is only half set up. I'll probably need a couple more days to get back to my previous efficiency.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 414
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - 5/9/2006 8:56:35 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood
I would so rather you change Japan color to the YELLOW (Rishing SUN <~~~ yellow) and China to a Light color or red or something. It just don't seem right Japan being RED....China should be RED as in RED CHINA that we know today. ;) Just my 2 cents.

Happily, I do not have to worry about this, because my task is to duplicate the board game (WIF FE) as much as possible. Therefore I can simply mimic the colors from WIF FE and know I am doing it correctly.

Changing the background colors of the units would be extremely difficult for 2 reasons: (1) the hardcore WIF players would go insane (think of men in white suits arriving at the door carrying white jackets with extremely long sleeves) and (2) the colors choices in the game are all intensely interrelated (it is impossible to change one without changing many others - and always remember the contrasting colors need to be visible to color blind players too). I had to do some of this when deciding on colors for the divisional units and it was quite time consuming.

Steve

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 415
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - 5/9/2006 10:30:59 PM   
Ballista

Awesome looking stuff. Keep up the good work (and the updates) :D

Post #: 416
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/11/2006 2:39:53 PM   
Neilster

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

What is leery ?

Cheers, Neilster

I assume you mean the cameo? The rest of the counter is the same to my eye.

Yes, the cammo.

Cheers, Neilster

Post #: 417
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - 5/11/2006 2:49:05 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Well, they didn't become Red China till 1949 and Japanese counters in cardboard WiF are red. This stuff was covered in great detail on this forum ages ago and I think the current colour scheme is somewhat set in stone.

Who's the foxy silver-screen babe BTW? Man I love those 30s and 40s women. Ever seen Merle Oberon? Sheesh. I don't blame Howard Hughes or a certain minister for Propaganda and Public Enlightenment.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 418
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/11/2006 4:11:56 PM   
Rexor

Hey, by the way, I'd love to purchase that CD from ADG, but I can't find out if it works on a Mac as well as a PC (I work from a Mac laptop, play from a PC desktop). Does anyone know if it's Mac-compatible?

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 419
RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? - 5/11/2006 10:40:28 PM   
YohanTM2

Pretty sure they would not sell the CD.

(in reply to Rexor)
Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Unit Depictions on Screen - Camo ? Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI