Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/7/2006 8:15:32 PM   
a300mech

This sounds awesome! I've been sitting on the sidelines on WITP due to the many folks who seem pretty unhappy with it. So if some significat bug killing takes place I'll probably buy it.
Trouble is all my "spare" time is being absorbed by BF2, and War Plan Orange.
In fact I have North German Plain '85, and haven't even been able to play it yet!
I need to find a way to jettison my "real" life so can devote more time to what's truly important...Gaming, treasure hunting, and making pyrotechnics.

Darryl

War Plan Orange, US R-class fanboi
Insert fancy artwork of R-class boat here:

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 151
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/7/2006 9:49:08 PM   
ny59giants

I played against the AI for my first year and just started my first PBEM. So, I would like both. Welcome aboard gentlemen and cannot wait to see the new patch and possibility of WitP II. As an original owner of both "War in the Pacific" and "War in Europe" board games by SPI from the 70's, I look forward to the fruits of you joining Matrix.

Now if we can get something to stop all the whining.

(in reply to a300mech)
Post #: 152
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/8/2006 2:04:38 AM   
Crowd Control

I recently purchased WitP and have been learning against the AI. The disappearing unit bug has been a game breaker for me. I can't see devoting the time WitP requires and have your your entire strategy abducted by aliens. If you can fix this with 1.8, then I'll take this game seriously.

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 153
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/8/2006 2:11:25 AM   
Xargun

I'm not sure who said it first, but when can I pre-order it ? Or where / when will it be released so I can get a cheap flight and hotel room there All joking and kidding aside, I think we are all glad to hear this news. The only thing I could add would be some way for us players to list what we would like to see changed / added when the time comes.

Xargun

(in reply to Crowd Control)
Post #: 154
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/8/2006 3:56:35 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xargun
The only thing I could add would be some way for us players to list what we would like to see changed / added when the time comes.

Xargun

This is one of the primary things that ruined the first attempt.

Let the designers design. I just hope they decide, first, to tear this thing all the way down to the foundation if they are going to undertake a revision at all and decide what the real level of the game (and the role of the player) is. If this is to be a strategic/operational level game, deep six the individual pilot stats and assignment of individual ship and unit commanders, please. Constrain Yamamoto and Nimitz from having control over their countries' economies and industry. Then, take a look at some of the design elements of Pacific War that made it such a success at being what it intended to be. Make command meaningful. Focus the player's decisionmaking on real command, not some pretense at FPS and fantasizing about becoming a Pacific ace. The first thing that will tell me whether this is a serious redesign or if it is just more crap is if there is a screen where you decide who your army and fleet commanders are, with no room for fiddling around with who is running a squadron of Dutch planes at Batavia.

Design around historical considerations. Balance the game through victory conditions, not screwing around with production and the sides' equipment capabilities.

Build a game you believe in and tell everyone else, including me, to shut up. Forget editors. Invest in real AI ability. To hell with modding. I want to play a game, not indulge in fantasies.

Put the players in the shoes of the historical commanders and let them see what they can do with what was really available historically and with what was possible within historical reason.

If you want to see a game that really cooks up a great stew, go see what AGEOD did with "Birth of America." It's by far my all-time fave, and streaks ahead of anything WitP has. It was designed with a plan in mind, and, when it hit the street, it was a fully developed, FUN historical simulation game. The designers continue to make improvements, but only within a reasoned, rational framework based on the integrity of the game design. If only WitP had been created this way.

All right. With that, I am taking my flame retardant butt out of here again. I'm sure a lot of my old pals will have a considerable amount of fun at my expense after I am, once again, gone. Sorry about all the whining.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 155
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/8/2006 5:37:04 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

OK to get back to the ground from the daydream world....

When will the patch 1.8 be finally available?

O.

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 156
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/8/2006 5:52:35 AM   
fairplay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: itsjustme
Not to bring a downer to this thread, but does this mean that the new War in Russia is being pushed back/delayed/canceled?

Nope, this will have no effect on WiR's development schedule.

Regards,

- Erik

I am just curious. What is the development schedule?
When will I be able to spend money for the new WIR

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 157
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/8/2006 5:56:32 AM   
rroberson

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

quote:

The only thing I could add would be some way for us players to list what we would like to see changed / added when the time comes.

Xargun

Let the designers design. I just hope they decide, first, to tear this thing all the way down to the foundation if they are going to undertake a revision at all and decide what the real level of the game (and the role of the player) is. If this is to be a strategic/operational level game, deep six the individual pilot stats and assignment of individual ship and unit commanders, please. Constrain Yamamoto and Nimitz from having control over their countries' economies and industry. Then, take a look at some of the design elements of Pacific War that made it such a success at being what it intended to be. Make command meaningful. Focus the player's decisionmaking on real command, not some pretense at FPS and fantasizing about becoming a Pacific ace. The first thing that will tell me whether this is a serious redesign or if it is just more crap is if there is a screen where you decide who your army and fleet commanders are, with no room for fiddling around with who is running a squadron of Dutch planes at Batavia.

Design around historical considerations. Balance the game through victory conditions, not screwing around with production and the sides' equipment capabilities.

Build a game you believe in and tell everyone else, including me, to shut up. Forget editors. Invest in real AI ability. To hell with modding. I want to play a game, not indulge in fantasies.

Put the players in the shoes of the historical commanders and let them see what they can do with what was really available historically and with what was possible within historical reason.

If you want to see a game that really cooks up a great stew, go see what AGEOD did with "Birth of America." It's by far my all-time fave, and streaks ahead of anything WitP has. It was designed with a plan in mind, and, when it hit the street, it was a fully developed, FUN historical simulation game. The designers continue to make improvements, but only within a reasoned, rational framework based on the integrity of the game design. If only WitP had been created this way.

All right. With that, I am taking my flame retardant butt out of here again. I'm sure a lot of my old pals will have a considerable amount of fun at my expense after I am, once again, gone. Sorry about all the whining.

Um. This would be exactly 180 degrees of what I would want to see. Again, I want to recreate history. Not repeat it. If I want to repeat history, Ill crack open one of the dozens of books of the 2nd World War that I own and read about it.

Post #: 158
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/8/2006 6:41:43 AM   
Knavey

quote:

Invest in real AI ability.

Riiiiight. Figure this one out, and you will not be writing computer games...you will be rich and retired. AI is NOT going to happen in something like WitP. Give that pipe dream up.

And fwiw, leave the editor and mod stuff in. Just include your tools in the package and let those that want to play that way with mods, play that way! It's pretty much becoming the gaming standard now anyway to release an editor with the game. Companies are realizing that the games have a longer life if the players are allowed to mod.

Just my couple of thoughts on all of this.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

Post #: 159
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/8/2006 8:51:16 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

OK to get back to the ground from the daydream world....

When will the patch 1.8 be finally available?

O.

Our plan ( per earlier post ) is to produce both the scope list and estimate for 1.8 this week, so stay tuned !

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Oleg Mastruko)
Post #: 160
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/8/2006 9:11:22 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Knavey

quote:

Riiiiight. Figure this one out, and you will not be writing computer games...you will be rich and retired. AI is NOT going to happen in something like WitP. Give that pipe dream up.

I don't have to figure it out. Plenty of designers and developers are getting a good handle on building AI, and there are ideas and techniques out there aplenty. Take a look around at what's coming onto the market and selling like hotcakes. Matrix needs to get with the program.

quote:

And fwiw, leave the editor and mod stuff in. Just include your tools in the package and let those that want to play that way with mods, play that way! It's pretty much becoming the gaming standard now anyway to release an editor with the game. Companies are realizing that the games have a longer life if the players are allowed to mod.

Designs that build in or accommodate editing screw themselves up. I don't know where you get the information that editors are "standard," but the games I am seeing, buying, and enjoying don't include anything of the kind.

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 161
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/8/2006 9:45:55 AM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Our plan ( per earlier post ) is to produce both the scope list and estimate for 1.8 this week, so stay tuned !

SQUIRT! STICK!

(That was the sound of me gluing my face to my computer monitor...)

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 162
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/9/2006 5:02:43 AM   
Knavey

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't have to figure it out. Plenty of designers and developers are getting a good handle on building AI, and there are ideas and techniques out there aplenty. Take a look around at what's coming onto the market and selling like hotcakes. Matrix needs to get with the program.

quote:

Designs that build in or accommodate editing screw themselves up. I don't know where you get the information that editors are "standard," but the games I am seeing, buying, and enjoying don't include anything of the kind.

And the last 4 games that I have bought and enjoyed have all included editors. Your point is that you enjoy the game without, and my point is that I (as well as others) enjoy the game with the editor. It is a no cost or minor cost the company to include an editor and they will pick up the $$ of the people that want it. Just because they include it, does not mean you need to use it to enjoy your game. I do not see your point that an editor screws up the game. After all, the designers and programmers use one to make the game. An editor allows flexibilty and a longer game life in my opinion.

Out of curiosity, what games are you playing that have excellent AI?

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

Post #: 163
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/9/2006 6:33:58 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

quote:

Xargun

I see things quite the opposite. I prefer an editor, it does give more life to the game and without an editor there would have been no CHS. Many people enjoy editing as much as they enjoy playing and there are those who enjoy playing modified scenarios. Editing is a growing trend in games.

I also enjoy having a production system, it gives an even more captivating element to the game which UV didn't have. I think PDUs was a great idea as well. And the fact that it is optional serves both sides of the issue. If you want to play a strictly historical game then play a scenario with production and PDUs turned off.

Gary

Post #: 164
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/9/2006 7:17:23 AM   
Mike Scholl

Actually, a good game editor can be a "quick fix" for game problems, and in a game this massive and detailed is probably a necessity weather it's available to the players or not. One of the problems in the original design is that much of it was "hard coded" and couldn't be modified without re-programming. And most of that was caused by the need to try to build an AI that could play the whole war. And it wound up a failure, as anyone who has "beaten up" on the AI after the first 6 months of the big scenario.

Don't get me wrong..., the fact that the AI can play the opening 6 months of the Japanese expansion with even moderate ability is a hell of an accomplishment. But it still doesn't play the last 3 and one half years worth a damn. If the new additions to the "team" can improve on that, good for them.
But I don't think they will be able to improve it past the ability to play 180-240 daily turns with competence. So I hope whatever they do includes more flexibility for "moders" to expand and change things. That they probably can achieve, and I hope it's the first consideration. If they can do that, and produce a game that is as historically accurate in all factors as research can make it, then players like Brady can add in all the "Midgets" or whatever they want to toss in as they can find an opponant that wants to play. But make the basic game accurate and historical---the "moders" can use the editor to creat as many wild and wooly varients as they wish.

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 165
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/9/2006 7:31:02 AM   
Alikchi2

Absolutely agree with Mike. Without an editor or an open-ended file system, WitP would have died (for me, anyways, and lots of others I'm sure) many many months ago.

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 166
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/9/2006 9:52:09 AM   
Ursa MAior

quote:

ORIGINAL: rroberson
Um. This would be exactly 180 degrees of what I would want to see. Again, I want to recreate history. Not repeat it. If I want to repeat history, Ill crack open one of the dozens of books of the 2nd World War that I own and read about it.

Well THAT GAME will be a NO BUY for me for sure. If I want to let me fantasy loose I read fantasy. Tolkien, Lewis, Martin. If I want a wargame I'll play one. What if games such Crown of Glory have been much overrated. We ALL know what errors the opposing sides made and we ALL want to aviod them. I AM DAMN SURE I dont want a game whcih RESEMBLES WWII Paciific ocean theater of operations, BUT

1. Japan can invade West coast or capture Australia
2. Japan home islands can be bombed from 7. dec 1941.
3. 1000 planes battle in selected areas where on other parts of the pacific not a single patrol plane is available.
4. Concentrated airstrikes from CVs consisting more than 120 planes are common.

Sorry for my nervousnes, but this suggestion gave me the creeps. I have been on the verge of buying CoG but after seeing batreps of 400,000 men on BOTH sides or the turks invading and beating french, austrian armies in german territories! I said it is too much. I WANT historical options but NEITHER forced to replay what happened, NOR a game where EVERYTHING is possible.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 167
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/9/2006 11:37:55 AM   
steveh11Matrix

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wierd. I agree completely with Pasternaksi's 1st point (about the AI - a scriptable AI, such as the one apparently planned, will go a long way towards making this a reality).

But the second? Well, where the game data is held as plain text files (such as Paradox' games, or Malfador's Space Empires series) an editor program is unnecessary. This is my own preferred solution - it makes a separate editor program unnecessary. You only need a text editor, and some sort of graphics program to mod the pictures where necessary/desired.

Steve.

< Message edited by steveh11Matrix -- 3/9/2006 11:38:07 AM >

"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

Post #: 168
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/9/2006 9:45:46 PM   
Admiral DadMan

My, God. Patch 1.8 first.

I have issues with WitP too, but can we at least put first things first, and not act worse than my 7 year old?

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to steveh11Matrix)
Post #: 169
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/10/2006 1:13:36 AM   
rroberson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ursa MAior

quote:

ORIGINAL: rroberson

Well THAT GAME will be a NO BUY for me for sure. If I want to let me fantasy loose I read fantasy. Tolkien, Lewis, Martin. If I want a wargame I'll play one. What if games such Crown of Glory have been much overrated. We ALL know what errors the opposing sides made and we ALL want to aviod them. I AM DAMN SURE I dont want a game whcih RESEMBLES WWII Paciific ocean theater of operations, BUT

1. Japan can invade West coast or capture Australia
2. Japan home islands can be bombed from 7. dec 1941.
3. 1000 planes battle in selected areas where on other parts of the pacific not a single patrol plane is available.
4. Concentrated airstrikes from CVs consisting more than 120 planes are common.

Sorry for my nervousnes, but this suggestion gave me the creeps. I have been on the verge of buying CoG but after seeing batreps of 400,000 men on BOTH sides or the turks invading and beating french, austrian armies in german territories! I said it is too much. I WANT historical options but NEITHER forced to replay what happened, NOR a game where EVERYTHING is possible.

Well I think you partially misunderstand what I meant. Is it realistic for Japan to invade the US or Australia and succeed, we both know the answer to that. BUt I don't want to see a system that hamstrings either side from trying new strategies given the weapon systems available for the period. Way back in the UV days (I have been around that long) the raging debate was the use of mines...there was a tendency (which I am guilty of) over using them based on how they were used during the war. The fact is, the weapon system was available. If either side wants to spend the production and employ said weapon system...that should be up to the player...

If I have 1000 planes circling PM, then its up to my opponent to make me pay for the lack of aircraft over Burma....just one man's opinion.

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 170
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/10/2006 1:14:46 AM   
rroberson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

My, God. Patch 1.8 first.

I have issues with WitP too, but can we at least put first things first, and not act worse than my 7 year old?

lol

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 171
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/10/2006 2:04:15 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Welcome aboard guys and good news on witp.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Hipper)
Post #: 172
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/10/2006 7:27:31 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

PASTERNAKSKI Basically I agree with almost everything you say. Except that when/if you finally get a truely accurate historical simulation as the basic game from the designers, why not an editor for the players who can't stand not inventing "what if's"? Some people really enjoy that sort of thing..., so why not sell the game to them as well? The important part is to get the basic game as accurate as it can be made. If we get that, who cares how many "midgets" Brady want's to add into his version of the game?

You say "Invest in real AI ability". Fantastic, and I agree. If it is possible to design an AI that can competently handle over 1300 massive, multi-phase, multi-function, land/sea/air turns on a tactical and strategic level Personally, I have some doubts about that. Which is why I place the historical accuracy ahead of the AI. First they need to get the game RIGHT as an historical simulation. Then make a decent editor. Then see what they can do in the way of an AI If it can't handle the big game, then get it to the point where it can at least handle the scenarios. In the first game trying to make the AI workable in the big scenario drove too much of the design and created "unfixable" problems. Let's try it from the other direction and make sure that the game is historically accurate in OOB and combat resolution and terrain effects and logistics and such. Then make an editor for those who either don't like history or get tired and want to change things. Then they can tackle the AI and see what they can do. But let's AT LEAST get a good solid accurate game with the flexibility to be modified out of it.

Post #: 173
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/10/2006 7:30:25 AM   
Mike Scholl

Appologies to BRADY. I'm not picking on him. He and his midgets are just a convenient and reccognizable "symbol" of folks who want to make changes to the game.

Post #: 174
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/10/2006 9:34:11 AM   
Ursa MAior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl
PASTERNAKSKI Basically I agree with almost everything you say. Except that when/if you finally get a truely accurate historical simulation as the basic game from the designers, why not an editor for the players who can't stand not inventing "what if's"? Some people really enjoy that sort of thing..., so why not sell the game to them as well? The important part is to get the basic game as accurate as it can be made. If we get that, who cares how many "midgets" Brady want's to add into his version of the game?

You say "Invest in real AI ability". Fantastic, and I agree. If it is possible to design an AI that can competently handle over 1300 massive, multi-phase, multi-function, land/sea/air turns on a tactical and strategic level Personally, I have some doubts about that. Which is why I place the historical accuracy ahead of the AI. First they need to get the game RIGHT as an historical simulation. Then make a decent editor. Then see what they can do in the way of an AI If it can't handle the big game, then get it to the point where it can at least handle the scenarios. In the first game trying to make the AI workable in the big scenario drove too much of the design and created "unfixable" problems. Let's try it from the other direction and make sure that the game is historically accurate in OOB and combat resolution and terrain effects and logistics and such. Then make an editor for those who either don't like history or get tired and want to change things. Then they can tackle the AI and see what they can do. But let's AT LEAST get a good solid accurate game with the flexibility to be modified out of it.

Whole heartedly agreed.

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 175
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/10/2006 8:43:21 PM   
pasternakski

Yes, Mike, I think what you say is perfectly sensible. I fully agree that historical accuracy, meaning (for those who will run off the mouth shortly about how if they want what happened historically, they will go read a book - I wish they would, read a book, that is) that someone has to decide WHO the player is in the game, then immerse that player in the historical situation, give him the historically-available tools (and others that were possibly available WITHIN REASON), turn him loose, and let him see what he can do. I have said what seems like at least a thousand times now that this is where the design went wrong in the first place. Are you Tojo? Are you Yamamoto? Are you the spirit of the Yamato people? Who are ya, and what are ya doing here?

Decide, designers, and go from there. But constrain the player to the role you have chosen to put him in. All this "well, I want unit X to have capability Y," "my plane should be better than your plane," and "I shoulda got two prizes out of the Crackerjack box, not one" is silly if you are the overall military commander of a theater-wide war. You get what your country can provide (that is, what the game system gives you), and then you go at it tooth-by-jowl, until ultimate victory or defeat is achieved or suffered - as specified by the game's conditions, which is the place where "balance and fairness" are considered, not in fiddling with the historical limitations on combat and logistical capabilities.

I think we all want this game to do a better job of understanding and treating such things as the effect of terrain on movement and combat, imposing realistic constraints on what forces of the time were capable of doing (Japanese crossing the Pacific to invade the American west coast? Fully-functional 400,000 man armies roaming around all over China? 300-plane heavy bomber raids? Fully coordinated 10-carrier CAPs, particularly in 1942? Fageddaboudit). Let's have some sanity, please, and some game mechanics steeped in comprehensive study of the warfighting materiel and technology of the historical era depicted in the game.

Beyond that, I only have two quibbles, and then, I promise to Iago it for good this time (until I see a patch that actually fixes WitP I or a new game that is what WitP I should have been). I certainly wouldn't want to offend those who consider this the best game ever designed - and, if it is, the best is none too good).

First, starting with the idea that the game must be open to modding or contain an editor is a bad, bad decision. Don't you people understand what that does to the mechanics and data of the game from the very outset? At this point, the integrity of the design goes out the window. You've got to do great damage to simple, straightforward code in order to leave these open strands at the far end of the game engine. If editor and modding features can be added, fine, but let's have a solidly designed game first.

Second, I don't think the AI (which is an abolute essential if you are going to stay alive in this business) is as big a problem as most people here seem to assume that it is. When you look closely and objectively at WitP, you understand that it is not that complex, it's just big (and big in some ways it doesn't need to be - think of how much of it is taken up with such nonsense as tracking pilot kills and leadership of individual ships and units).

I flatly disagree with those who talk about how "awesome" the game is and how "unbelievably complicated" it is. You got units. You got some control over how to get 'em. You got logistics, which here is nothing more than hauling item A to point X. You got combat, which resolves itself after the two sides get combat forces into the same hex. You got a lot of junk to push around, but it ain't complicated junk.

The one thing that is mostly responsible for making WitP seem complex is the extremely poor job it does of allowing the player to understand what the hell is actually going on. What are the effects of leaders? What are the specific details governing interaction of aircraft characteristics in determining combat results? And so on. Many questions about such matters have been asked in the past two years, and straight answers have not been forthcoming. I have seen one admission that this is likely because nobody, including those responsible, really knows anymore. If that is so, this is not a game. It is bull cookies.

In short, there's nothing new under the wargaming sun in this game, and I see nothing standing in the way of some thoughtful, talented design people doing a competent job of making the computer play decently well (within the limits of current AI design capability, but I don't see WitP's AI even coming close to those limits, let alone pushing them).

So, flame away, boys, or ignore, as you prefer. Having said all I have to say, I'm outta here.

And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 176
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/10/2006 9:28:53 PM   
rroberson

quote:

Yes, Mike, I think what you say is perfectly sensible. I fully agree that historical accuracy, meaning (for those who will run off the mouth shortly about how if they want what happened historically, they will go read a book - I wish they would, read a book, that is) that someone has to decide WHO the player is in the game, then immerse that player in the historical situation, give him the historically-available tools (and others that were possibly available WITHIN REASON), turn him loose, and let him see what he can do. I have said what seems like at least a thousand times now that this is where the design went wrong in the first place. Are you Tojo? Are you Yamamoto? Are you the spirit of the Yamato people? Who are ya, and what are ya doing here?

Decide, designers, and go from there. But constrain the player to the role you have chosen to put him in. All this "well, I want unit X to have capability Y," "my plane should be better than your plane," and "I shoulda got two prizes out of the Crackerjack box, not one" is silly if you are the overall military commander of a theater-wide war. You get what your country can provide (that is, what the game system gives you), and then you go at it tooth-by-jowl, until ultimate victory or defeat is achieved or suffered - as specified by the game's conditions, which is the place where "balance and fairness" are considered, not in fiddling with the historical limitations on combat and logistical capabilities.

I think we all want this game to do a better job of understanding and treating such things as the effect of terrain on movement and combat, imposing realistic constraints on what forces of the time were capable of doing (Japanese crossing the Pacific to invade the American west coast? Fully-functional 400,000 man armies roaming around all over China? 300-plane heavy bomber raids? Fully coordinated 10-carrier CAPs, particularly in 1942? Fageddaboudit). Let's have some sanity, please, and some game mechanics steeped in comprehensive study of the warfighting materiel and technology of the historical era depicted in the game.

Beyond that, I only have two quibbles, and then, I promise to Iago it for good this time (until I see a patch that actually fixes WitP I or a new game that is what WitP I should have been). I certainly wouldn't want to offend those who consider this the best game ever designed - and, if it is, the best is none too good).

First, starting with the idea that the game must be open to modding or contain an editor is a bad, bad decision. Don't you people understand what that does to the mechanics and data of the game from the very outset? At this point, the integrity of the design goes out the window. You've got to do great damage to simple, straightforward code in order to leave these open strands at the far end of the game engine. If editor and modding features can be added, fine, but let's have a solidly designed game first.

Second, I don't think the AI (which is an abolute essential if you are going to stay alive in this business) is as big a problem as most people here seem to assume that it is. When you look closely and objectively at WitP, you understand that it is not that complex, it's just big (and big in some ways it doesn't need to be - think of how much of it is taken up with such nonsense as tracking pilot kills and leadership of individual ships and units).

I flatly disagree with those who talk about how "awesome" the game is and how "unbelievably complicated" it is. You got units. You got some control over how to get 'em. You got logistics, which here is nothing more than hauling item A to point X. You got combat, which resolves itself after the two sides get combat forces into the same hex. You got a lot of junk to push around, but it ain't complicated junk.

The one thing that is mostly responsible for making WitP seem complex is the extremely poor job it does of allowing the player to understand what the hell is actually going on. What are the effects of leaders? What are the specific details governing interaction of aircraft characteristics in determining combat results? And so on. Many questions about such matters have been asked in the past two years, and straight answers have not been forthcoming. I have seen one admission that this is likely because nobody, including those responsible, really knows anymore. If that is so, this is not a game. It is bull cookies.

In short, there's nothing new under the wargaming sun in this game, and I see nothing standing in the way of some thoughtful, talented design people doing a competent job of making the computer play decently well (within the limits of current AI design capability, but I don't see WitP's AI even coming close to those limits, let alone pushing them).

So, flame away, boys, or ignore, as you prefer. Having said all I have to say, I'm outta here.

You know, I just don't understand why people who hate this game so much keep returning here to toss out insults left and right. You were dissappointed with the design. After 2 years of watching you come to this board and complain...I get it. Beating the horse until it is a bloody pulp doesn't change that.

Do I think there are problems with the vanilla version of the game. You bet. Too much supply, too many transports, A2A that is overly bloody...the list is long. And that's the number one reason why an editor needs to exist. We all have opinions on how things "should be". The editor lets people change the balance of the game to make it closer to that vision. You don't think it works? Try Nik's mod. The changes he has made to date more then take care of a lot of my past complaints about the game.

I do not want any war game...this one or any other one I have played for the last 20 years to hamstring my decision making capabilty. MY reading a book comment was just that. You give me the units that were historically available. Tell me IM the theatre commander. Then I'm going to run the war effort..the way I see fit. I won't attack midway because well thats what the Japanese did. Maybe Ill go after Canton instead. That is the point of gaming...trying new ideas out. If the weapon system is available, it should be up to the player how to deploy it.

If building an decent AI was that easy...I wait eagerly for your pacific war game. It's not. That's why this game will never be suited for the single player mode. How many reviews of war games have I read in the last 5 years that comment the AI could use work. COUNTLESS ones. If its easy...give it a shot.

And yes this game is complicated. VERY complicated. No one is spoon feeding you on why unit A can do this with one leader and that with another. Japanese production is a mini game by itself. Are you saying that its too much for you to sit down and learn? I have spent months figuring some of the aspects of this game out. I disagree with how the designers did a number of things, But there have been volumes of material written by the good players of this game (of which I am not one) to aid you in learning how to make your units behave properly have you ever taken a look at any of it?

I simply don't get the mentality. ANd I never will. Its a game...it does a decent job of simulating the Pacific War. Its not perfect. Its obviously popular given the fact that Matrix just hired 2 programmers to continue work on it and there is a thought of a 2nd version of it.

Leave horse alone...its had enough.

Post #: 177
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/11/2006 3:23:51 AM   
MkXIV

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

SQUIRT! STICK!

(That was the sound of me gluing my face to my computer monitor...)

I am glad you clarified that!

F4U Corsair; When you Absolutely, Positively need to kill every freaking Zero in a 40 mile hex....

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 178
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/11/2006 6:01:12 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

I don't think putting an editor into the game causes the kind of problems you seem to forsee. It's mostly a matter of "tabularizing" unit data and such into modular tables that can be altered if the player or designer wishes. Shouldn't effect the ability of the designers to make the base data accurate. It's even handy for the design process if/when the original numbers seem to be producing ahistoric results. Nobody gets everything right the first time. And it doesn't include the algorythms that decide combat, movement, spotting, or the other "interactive" portions of the programing. Nobody HAS to use it if they just want to play with the historical data. But so many people are into "moding"(witness just the number of alternate views of the plane and ship "artwork" available---and that's totally cosmetic) that it would be folly design-wise and business-wise not to make it an available option.

I think it is fully possible to design an AI for a 5-6 month scenario..., especially if the map area is limited. The strategy "decision tree" is pretty limited, and one side or the other is generally on the overall offensive. Tactical options can be put into place to meet various player responses. Some "scripting" of the AI is necessary, but within a limited scenario this is perfectly feasible.

For the entire war scenario, multiple strategic and logistic decisions have to be made. The other sides "options" are much greater both strategicly and tactically. When do you switch from offensive to defensive, and in what areas, and based on what criterion? Can an AI 'feint" and "misdirect" without becoming obvious or losing track of it's goals? Does it know when to "cut it's losses" and pull assets out? That's where the AI design runs into difficulty from what I've seen. The fact that the game is large in scope, but tactical in operation, and that it must juggle its sea-land-air assets to act in unison toward a common goal, plus supply each in a different manner makes for very difficult AI programing.

I agree with you that "awsome" might describe the designers goals, but not their results. And that a better idea of how the programming would make it much less "complicated" to actually play the game. Hiding how these things work makes everything more of a "crap shoot in an unlit room on a dark night".
Those involved were not this ignorant of how combat occurred in real life. Fog of war is one thing---but it's too extreme in the reality of the game.

I guess I'm more optimistic that something can be done than you are. Provided, of course, that the AI is NOT the driving force of the design,,,,,

Post #: 179
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 3/11/2006 7:29:29 AM   
TSCofield

Good. You make it and I am sure I will probably buy it. I have been happy with UV, WitP and WPO, I am sure anything made in this format will be well accepted on my harddrive.

Thomas S. Cofield
Feature Editor, SimHQ.com
t.co0field@comcast.net (stopped the SimHq mail since I get nothing but spam)

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI