Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What is your favorite WWII tank?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/11/2007 6:35:44 PM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

I only have time for a partial response right now, but I had to comment on this bit. No, no, no, no, no, no, rune, you cannot take the '43 figures into account really. The Panther wasn't being produced for the whole year, thereby very partial production at best for the Panther.

I canīt see how that changes anything. You have Panther in full production from April at the latest (with production starting in earnest in January 1943), which coincidentally happens to go nicely along with the ramp up of production following the german declaration of "Total War" in February. Before this, the MK IV production was 1/3 of what it could potentially have been as well.

quote:

Look at the PZIV totals alone, they actually "rise" in '44 from '43, IOW, not being phased out and certainly not being eliminated. The 5 to 4 ratio you mentioned, is pretty much the same thing in '44 and '45 both.

As I stated above: A logical consequence of a total economic mobilization starting in 1943 and topping in the summer of 1944. It is not like they were trying to produce less you know. As it is, you have a gradual phase-in of the Panther accompanied by a gradual phase out of the MK IV, whose hull was put to other uses. This is a fact. If they really didnīt mean to phase the MK IV out, donīt you think they would have used more of the available hulls to make them?

< Message edited by Rune Iversen -- 2/11/2007 10:51:27 PM >

Ignoring the wulfir
Fighting the EUnuchs from within

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 511
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/11/2007 6:53:30 PM   
.50Kerry

quote:

I only have time for a partial response right now, but I had to comment on this bit. No, no, no, no, no, no, rune, you cannot take the '43 figures into account really. The Panther wasn't being produced for the whole year, thereby very partial production at best for the Panther. Look at the PZIV totals alone, they actually "rise" in '44 from '43, IOW, not being phased out and certainly not being eliminated. The 5 to 4 ratio you mentioned, is pretty much the same thing in '44 and '45 both.

Chuckles that is what "mobilizing war industry" is....loosely translated "keep working"

are you going to argue that since we were producing the P-40 into 1943 in greater numbers than before we were not more interested in P-47 and P-51 procurement?

Nah can't make that guess by the rate of increase of % of total kit made we have to look at whether or not newly made "on the pathway to obsolesence" kit cranks down at once....

it would have been a waste of the miltary dimension of time to completely retool chassis houses into making Mitten chassis, that said at least one field marshall was livid that they were appropriating so many IV hulls for secondary purposes......

"German procurement genius" at work....

Anchors aweigh!

Post #: 512
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/11/2007 9:47:07 PM   
Kevin E. Duguay

In reality the Germans wanted to phase out the PZIV but could not. It just was not practical. The reason for the decline in production of the PZIVH-J series of tanks is the simple fact that STUGs and PZjgr vehicles were cheaper and easier to build. At the end of the war there had to be at least 12 if not more armored vehicles based on the PZIV hull.

Now look at the PZIV's replacement the Panther.
3 vehicles at most. A tank, a tank destroyer, and a recovery vehicle. Everything else was a uber weapon made of wood to impress Hitler. There is one Panther II hull with the normal Panther turret that was captured in combat that now sits in the Patton museum.

KED

(in reply to .50Kerry)
Post #: 513
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/12/2007 9:50:08 AM   
Charles2222

First of all, I cannot remember who was looking for some of this information, but I have found a very detailed list of the number of German divsions anyway:

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=7288

Now to try finishing my previous partial response to Rune Iversen.

quote:

For the reasons stated above. Besides, they do gradually try to phase it out. The production figures shows us as much. It really is that simple. The percentage of MK IVs in relation to MK Vs (tanks proper) goes down from one of 62-38 to one of 43-57. Or to put it more bluntly: For each two Panther in 1943 they produced three MK IVs. Not so in 1945, where the relationship is slightly lower than 1:1 in the Panthers favor. 5 Panthers produced for each 4 MK IVs. They were gradually phasing it out. The production numbers shows that it was so.

First, let me show the figures I have been using. Note since we were taling about Panthers vs PZIV's, I was NOT talking about hulls alone, but completed tanks. See here:
http://www.feldgrau.com/afvstats.html
quote:

British shifts within the Cruiser family 1939-44? Soviet shift from KV to IS HVY Tanks?

I didn't say there weren't any, it's just I could not think of any others at the time. BTW, do you find their examples as non-existent as the PZIV phase out?
quote:

Heh. Since they kept producing the hulls, they didnīt retool the MK IV factories. Itīs a fallacy. MK IV hull production is as high as you please throughout. The production of MK IVs proper... werenīt.....

Yes, well obviously this is one of the major failing points in your argument. Who started the subject of Panther production wasn't as low as one commonly thinks? It was me. I am also the one who went into comparing it to the PZIV. So....guess what I have been talking about all this time? That's right, I wasn't talking about hulls, but those specific tanks instead.
quote:

I don't care how difficult it was for germany to pulll it off, there clearly was very little effort there, so I do think they really didn't put a lot of thought behind any statements in that regard. (this portion was you an earlier statement by me)

True, but for a different reason than you think. (your returning comment)

Well I rest my case then. They basically had little or no effort into phasing out the PZIV in favor of the Panther. I'm not really too concerned as to why they did not, but it does seem to be the better decision.
quote:

This is the real world, not Command and Conquer. You just donīt "decide" at a whim what factories produce and what they donīt.

That's funny. Factories decide what they will and will not prodcue all the time, and often there are those above them, such as Hitler needless to say, who at times will direct them in micromanagement. Whether those making decisions make it on a whim or if it takes several months is immaterial for the subject at hand. I never said they just one afternoon decided that there would be no more new PZIV factories. In fact, that bit is entirely speculation, but the thought that they would not produce an older tank on new facilities in entirely commonplace practice in business when they are deciding to keep producing both.
quote:

You are simply guessing now. Put up something concrete. At your leisure.

Yes I was, but it makes sense when they are at least giving lip service to converting from one to the other. I mgiht look around a bit and see if I can find something concrete on that, but I have never seen data of that sort.
quote:

I canīt see how that changes anything. You have Panther in full production from April at the latest (with production starting in earnest in January 1943), which coincidentally happens to go nicely along with the ramp up of production following the german declaration of "Total War" in February. Before this, the MK IV production was 1/3 of what it could potentially have been as well.

You're talking hulls again and that wasn't my point.
quote:

As I stated above: A logical consequence of a total economic mobilization starting in 1943 and topping in the summer of 1944. It is not like they were trying to produce less you know. As it is, you have a gradual phase-in of the Panther accompanied by a gradual phase out of the MK IV, whose hull was put to other uses. This is a fact. If they really didnīt mean to phase the MK IV out, donīt you think they would have used more of the available hulls to make them?

Here you go with the hulls again. I said "production figures of the PZIV. That doesn't mean the gas filter of the PZIV, the gun, the suspension, or the hull, but the whole blooming thing. "IF" I were talking hulls you would be correct, but note one key difference, it wasn't Panthers they were phasing out to, but mostly to lesser roles such as TD hulls. Making a PZIV hull into a JPZIV is real lovely for noting some fashion of PZIV phase out but has nothign to do with phasing it out to the Panther. Perhaps you think that I regard hulls as a tank, but I do not. They're merely a large piece and no more.

< Message edited by Charles_22 -- 2/12/2007 10:46:48 AM >

(in reply to Kevin E. Duguay)
Post #: 514
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/12/2007 10:19:42 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: .50Kerry

quote:

I only have time for a partial response right now, but I had to comment on this bit. No, no, no, no, no, no, rune, you cannot take the '43 figures into account really. The Panther wasn't being produced for the whole year, thereby very partial production at best for the Panther. Look at the PZIV totals alone, they actually "rise" in '44 from '43, IOW, not being phased out and certainly not being eliminated. The 5 to 4 ratio you mentioned, is pretty much the same thing in '44 and '45 both.

Chuckles that is what "mobilizing war industry" is....loosely translated "keep working"

are you going to argue that since we were producing the P-40 into 1943 in greater numbers than before we were not more interested in P-47 and P-51 procurement?

Nah can't make that guess by the rate of increase of % of total kit made we have to look at whether or not newly made "on the pathway to obsolesence" kit cranks down at once....

it would have been a waste of the miltary dimension of time to completely retool chassis houses into making Mitten chassis, that said at least one field marshall was livid that they were appropriating so many IV hulls for secondary purposes......

"German procurement genius" at work....

There is a difference. RI spoke of "elimination of PZIV's retooling to Panthers". Note the Grant/Sherman reference again. There was a point where the Grant stopped being produced, IOW ELIMINATED. That was part of my point to stick on that word he used. Maybe I shouldn't had done that and instead just gave him to mean "phased out to Panthers" but even then the data doesn't really support that contention either. It is so minute as to almost not exist. Again, he has often been speaking hulls of PZIV's and not the tank entirely, whereas I have looked at the production figures of the PZIV in it's entireity and see very little correlation to Panthers getting a stronger ratio. To eliminate producing is at least for that to dwindle as time passes (excluding 45) and instead in 44 it rises slightly. "IF" I were talking hulls again, then yes production is going up, and a great deal of that is put into TD's and AG's etc. but how one sees more PZIV hulls being put into those, equates into that or any part, partially or totally amounting to re-tooling to Panthers I cannot fathom.

I have since found out that the PZIV and Panther were not even produced by the same manufacturer and unless some higher ups were stepping in and re-directing Krupp assets to MAN then there was no attempt to re-tool to Panthers. Instead what in fact did happen appears to be that the PZIV's proper were pruduced as much as ever, only their hulls and assumably some other parts were greatly put into other AFV's such as TD's.

I have also found a pretty good bit of information for some of this, but unfortunately it does not list monthly production tank figures for 43. It does however show a healthy clip for the Panther for 1/44 of some 279. For all of 43 to be only 1,850 according to the same chart, thn obviously full production was very short lived in 43, if at all, because the 1/44 rate would put them at some 3,300.

See Exhibit A on this page:
http://www.angelfire.com/super/ussbs/tankrep.html

< Message edited by Charles_22 -- 2/12/2007 10:43:53 AM >

(in reply to .50Kerry)
Post #: 515
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/12/2007 2:46:35 PM   
Kevin E. Duguay

The PZIV phased out never happened!

< Message edited by Kevin E. Duguay -- 2/12/2007 3:02:44 PM >

KED

Post #: 516
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/16/2007 9:06:53 PM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

First, let me show the figures I have been using. Note since we were taling about Panthers vs PZIV's, I was NOT talking about hulls alone, but completed tanks. See here:
http://www.feldgrau.com/afvstats.html

I am talking about both. Otherwise the analysis of the german tank production history makes no sense.

I get my numbers from here:

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/inhaltsverzeichnisHeer.htm

quote:

I didn't say there weren't any, it's just I could not think of any others at the time. BTW, do you find their examples as non-existent as the PZIV phase out?

As the germans tried to (unsuccesfully) phase out the MK IV, so the allies phased out their obsolete or redundant types. The soviets by stopping/converting the production and keeping the existing vehicles in service untill destroyed without any large scale conversions. The brits by stopping/converting production and relagating existing vehicles to training or rebuilding them for other roles (Crusader as towing vehicles for 17 pdr AT Guns or as AA vehicles etc.). Both eminenetly succesful I might add, but then neither was ever really in the dire straits that Germany was in during 1944-45.

quote:

Yes, well obviously this is one of the major failing points in your argument. Who started the subject of Panther production wasn't as low as one commonly thinks? It was me. I am also the one who went into comparing it to the PZIV. So....guess what I have been talking about all this time? That's right, I wasn't talking about hulls, but those specific tanks instead.

Which indicates what exactly? You still have the germans transitioning from a 2/3 to a 5/4 production mix of tanks proper, with the MK IV production numbers going exponentially lower as a percentage of total MK IV hull type vehicles produced over time. This at a time when german industry tops production wise.

quote:

Well I rest my case then. They basically had little or no effort into phasing out the PZIV in favor of the Panther. I'm not really too concerned as to why they did not, but it does seem to be the better decision.

How do you explain the transition of most of the MK IV production capacity to produce ANYTHING but MK IVs proper then?

quote:

That's funny. Factories decide what they will and will not prodcue all the time, and often there are those above them, such as Hitler needless to say, who at times will direct them in micromanagement. Whether those making decisions make it on a whim or if it takes several months is immaterial for the subject at hand. I never said they just one afternoon decided that there would be no more new PZIV factories. In fact, that bit is entirely speculation, but the thought that they would not produce an older tank on new facilities in entirely commonplace practice in business when they are deciding to keep producing both.

Translation: The german panzer production history doesnīt support the point Chucky is trying to make, so he will just ignore it

quote:

Yes I was, but it makes sense when they are at least giving lip service to converting from one to the other. I mgiht look around a bit and see if I can find something concrete on that, but I have never seen data of that sort.

Take your time.

quote:

You're talking hulls again and that wasn't my point.

Ehrm...

"No".

quote:

Here you go with the hulls again. I said "production figures of the PZIV. That doesn't mean the gas filter of the PZIV, the gun, the suspension, or the hull, but the whole blooming thing. "IF" I were talking hulls you would be correct, but note one key difference, it wasn't Panthers they were phasing out to, but mostly to lesser roles such as TD hulls. Making a PZIV hull into a JPZIV is real lovely for noting some fashion of PZIV phase out but has nothign to do with phasing it out to the Panther. Perhaps you think that I regard hulls as a tank, but I do not. They're merely a large piece and no more.

Heh. Again: You still have the germans transitioning from a 2/3 to a 5/4 production mix of tanks proper, with the MK IV production numbers going exponentially lower as a percentage of total MK IV hull type vehicles produced over time. This at a time when german industry tops production wise.

Which indicates an attempt to send the MK IV the same way as the MK III historically went.

Ignoring the wulfir

Post #: 517
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/16/2007 9:11:53 PM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

There is a difference. RI spoke of "elimination of PZIV's retooling to Panthers".

Big fat strawman. I defy you to prove otherwise.

quote:

but how one sees more PZIV hulls being put into those, equates into that or any part, partially or totally amounting to re-tooling to Panthers I cannot fathom.

Nothing to fathom here, since they didnīt. The same factories that prodcued MK IVs kept on producing the other variants on the MK IV hull. No retooling. Never claimed that any retooling took place either.....

quote:

I have since found out that the PZIV and Panther were not even produced by the same manufacturer and unless some higher ups were stepping in and re-directing Krupp assets to MAN then there was no attempt to re-tool to Panthers. Instead what in fact did happen appears to be that the PZIV's proper were pruduced as much as ever, only their hulls and assumably some other parts were greatly put into other AFV's such as TD's.

Correct.

quote:

I have also found a pretty good bit of information for some of this, but unfortunately it does not list monthly production tank figures for 43. It does however show a healthy clip for the Panther for 1/44 of some 279. For all of 43 to be only 1,850 according to the same chart, thn obviously full production was very short lived in 43, if at all, because the 1/44 rate would put them at some 3,300.

A consequence of a german gear-up to total war happening gradually and of new factories coming online for all major types during 1943.

Ignoring the wulfir

Post #: 518
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/17/2007 10:21:48 AM   
Charles2222

I'm not interested in this discussion any longer so save your fingers Rune.

(in reply to Rune Iversen)
Post #: 519
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/17/2007 11:34:30 AM   
pauk

quote:

I'm not interested in this discussion any longer so save your fingers Rune.

Post #: 520
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/17/2007 8:27:44 PM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

=)

< Message edited by Rune Iversen -- 2/17/2007 9:02:18 PM >

Ignoring the wulfir

Post #: 521
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/17/2007 8:29:46 PM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

ORIGINAL: pauk

< Message edited by Rune Iversen -- 2/17/2007 9:01:29 PM >

Ignoring the wulfir

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 522
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/17/2007 8:58:40 PM   
a white rabbit

..Rune, ye just can't use those arguements, gearing up to do a whole new tank case requires moulds, training , etc and so time..

..which is why the Western Allies continued to use a Sherman or Churchill base for so much stuff, or the Russian Allies used a T34 base, you just can't re-equipe a factory that quickly..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beān'tus all..?,

Post #: 523
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/17/2007 9:22:18 PM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

..Rune, ye just can't use those arguements, gearing up to do a whole new tank case requires moulds, training , etc and so time..

..which is why the Western Allies continued to use a Sherman or Churchill base for so much stuff, or the Russian Allies used a T34 base, you just can't re-equipe a factory that quickly..

Yes. This has in essence been my argument all along.

Ignoring the wulfir

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 524
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/17/2007 9:48:22 PM   
pauk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rune Iversen

Thanks for sharing your photo! I suspected that what you are since you coming from Denmark. But, no worries, it is your choice and i can live with that.

But you will understand that i don't want to have anything with you, will you....? Goodbye

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by pauk -- 2/17/2007 10:04:46 PM >

Post #: 525
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/17/2007 10:00:23 PM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

ORIGINAL: pauk

Thanks for sharing your photo! I suspected that what you are since you coming from Denmark. But, no worries, it is your choice and i can live with that.

But you will understand that i don't want to have anything with you, will you....? Goodbye

You are welcome. Given my old regiments experience down in your neighbourhood I expected nothing less. The lesson seemed to be that the Croats were thieveing cowardly assholes. Looks like what I was told was true.

Ignoring the wulfir

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 526
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/17/2007 10:23:15 PM   
Terminus

Get back to the rathole you crawled out of, Iversen.

You contribute absolutely nothing worthwhile to this forum.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 527
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/17/2007 10:35:29 PM   
.50Kerry

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

says Terminus who has added...well "a bunch".

Terminus do you volunteer lifeguard as well?

Chuckles has no counter-rebuttal so he simply decides not to play anymore...this style of his goes back about four years don't you remember???

Why no, you don't do you?

Anchors aweigh!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 528
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/17/2007 10:42:48 PM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

Pas på blodtrykket sønneke....

Ignoring the wulfir

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 529
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/17/2007 10:44:11 PM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

says Terminus who has added...well "a bunch".

Terminus do you volunteer lifeguard as well?

Chuckles has no counter-rebuttal so he simply decides not to play anymore...this style of his goes back about four years don't you remember???

Why no, you don't do you?

Cut the kid some slack. He did add a picture of a SIG on a MK II chassis a few pages back

Ignoring the wulfir

(in reply to .50Kerry)
Post #: 530
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/17/2007 10:50:43 PM   
.50Kerry

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rune Iversen
Cut the kid some slack. He did add a picture of a SIG on a MK II chassis a few pages back

My mistake, at least he is not IS III ARE BEST EVAH BEST EVAH to the point the one guy is....

Anchors aweigh!

Post #: 531
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/18/2007 1:09:12 AM   
pauk

quote:

Term, why do you bother with him (it)? i don't think that he deserved even a one hit with finger on the keyboard... you see how pathetic he is... tried to insult someone but hit the wall instead and lost his nerve....cccccc.... how pathetic....

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 532
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/18/2007 1:12:19 AM   
Paul Vebber

OK lets all take a deeeeep breath here.

Rune, you no better.

The rest of you, inappropriate responses to inappropriate posts are, well, inappropriate too...

Keep it on topic or the thread will get locked up.

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 533
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/18/2007 1:16:37 AM   
pauk

i've told you so...Paul...

anyway, my favourite tank is Tiger!

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 534
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/18/2007 1:25:36 AM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Vebber

OK lets all take a deeeeep breath here.

Rune, you no better.

The rest of you, inappropriate responses to inappropriate posts are, well, inappropriate too...

Keep it on topic or the thread will get locked up.

He might know better, but he obviously doesn't care... Just kill this damn thread, already...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 535
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/18/2007 4:45:44 AM   
.50Kerry

quote:

He might know better, but he obviously doesn't care... Just kill this damn thread, already...

Oh the irony....

"perfect quote"....

Anchors aweigh!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 536
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/18/2007 10:48:58 AM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

Oh the irony....

"perfect quote"....

Well, who are we to question our "peers"?

< Message edited by Rune Iversen -- 2/18/2007 3:14:43 PM >

Ignoring the wulfir

(in reply to .50Kerry)
Post #: 537
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/18/2007 10:50:47 AM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Vebber

Rune, you no better.

Call it the disappointment of vasting several hours researching with Chucky just huffing in response. The "Balkan Boyz" didnīt help the matter either.

Ignoring the wulfir

Post #: 538
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/18/2007 1:17:46 PM   
Ursa MAior

In the name of the balkan boiz, we thank you all, ooh mighty keeper of the one and only true european bloodline. 

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 539
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/18/2007 3:26:39 PM   
Twotribes

quote:

Actually , Rune seldom posts disparaging comments, where as you, You generally START a reply with disparging comments, usually personal and insulting. And seldom do I find your posts haveing any "facts" in them.

To be more clear, your statement fits YOU not Rune.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 540
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI