Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: First Impressions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Commander - Europe at War Gold >> RE: First Impressions Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: First Impressions - 6/19/2007 9:59:23 AM   
TPM

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Don't let the force of the Darkside pull you in Luke (TPM) ;) Remember Luke the Power of the Force is strong in you when you buy bargain bin. hahahahaah

Yes, this is true...I am remember the good times I had with Clash of Steel, purchased from the bargain bin (literally) for $5...and of course, War in Russia, purchased for...oh wait, that game is FREE! For now, I am strong, but the new game is calling me...

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 61
RE: First Impressions - 6/19/2007 10:34:40 AM   
jynx11

I think it would be a fair opinion to say that this game has very good potential for anyone sitting on the fence about it.  All the games I have seen with a series eventually grows and mistakes are corrected.  I feel I got what I paid for and am looking forward to mods and the such. I got SC2, TOaW, Campaign Series, WinSPMBT, WinSPWW2, BII, Battlefront, WaWawd and CeAW and everyone of them has a little something great about it.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 62
RE: First Impressions - 6/19/2007 10:40:32 AM   
JudgeDredd

I was taken back by the price. £36 ($72) for a game...I'm not bargain bin whore, but at the same time, I do normally have limits. And the size of the download was very small...180MB?

BUT...both those figures are red herrings. The game is absolutely worth £36 and how they managed to pack so much fun into 180MB is amazing! Of course...it's fun for me....maybe not so for someone else sitting on the fence. All I can convey is my experiences playing the game...and it's great.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to jynx11)
Post #: 63
RE: First Impressions - 6/19/2007 10:49:23 AM   
ravinhood

Why's it so expensive? $72? I coulda swore I saw it listed for $39.99 at NWS and that includes CDrom and Printed Manual.

http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/coeuatwarbro.html

You should look into buying games from NWS Judge, save you lots of money. He even ships internationally and I'm pretty sure his shipping rates overseas are Global Express by the Postal service. Course I guess you still gotta pay that silly 17% Euro tax though eh? Man if I had to pay 17% tax on everything I bought I'd have to move. We got it great here in the states. If/when you buy stuff out of your state you don't have to pay any taxes at all. That's why I always try to buy things outside of state. Saves me lots of money.

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 6/19/2007 10:52:59 AM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 64
RE: First Impressions - 6/19/2007 10:52:08 AM   
jynx11

I hear ya, i am having a blast as I post, my Russian front is getting spanked

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 65
RE: First Impressions - 6/19/2007 10:55:02 AM   
JudgeDredd

Well, the US price may be wrong. £36 is what I paid though. That included, for the UK, shipping and VAT...the actual price of the game is $49.99 for DD, and $59.99 for Physical with manual and DD (£25.99 and £34.99 respectively) - with shipping and VTA I was at £40 (not £36 as stated previously)

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 66
RE: First Impressions - 6/19/2007 6:20:16 PM   
Howard7x

Aye its definately a steep price for a PC game. My most expensive mishap was WitP of which i must have looked at 50 times before finally taking the plunge then realising its just too in depth for my liking . £42 down the drain. I wish there more demos on matrix games.

CEAW one looks far better from my perspective though and i cant wait to get my hands on it. An uber PG? Oh yes please!
I just wish my car hadn't just been written off 

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 67
RE: First Impressions - 6/19/2007 6:57:52 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Ferguson

Well never mind about the lack of a editor for now

I tried a couple of turns of the tutorial and then dived into the 1939 scenario.

This is what has happened so far, after I stumbled up to the fall of France.

Poland surrendered at the end of turn 2, lesson learned is once you have the surrender trigger beseiged don't attack elsewhere, it just causes unneccessary casualties.

Turn 3 saw my mini wolf pack mauling a convoy en route from Canada. Redeply to west and a question, why can't my battleship get out of the Baltic Sea?

Turn 4 and more convoy mauling, redeployments, repairs and build some garrisons and a tank

Turn 5 destroyers catch my u-boats, ouch! score allies 4 axis 2

Turn 6 shift u-boats and blast another convoy. Question, can you switch the autoscroll off? It keeps jumping the map when I move to the button box

Late January 1940 declared war on Holland and Belgium, they lasted longer than historicaly so it might be agood idea to invade early

Crikey, I just lost a panzer corps to the French armour, the allied air strikes are an irritation as well

June 27 Paris surrounded and I shut down the rest of the battle to concentrate on Paris.

Paris is real tough, it took until August 26th to force a surrender. The coup-de-gras was administered by the luftwaffe, or what was left of it!. the lesson here is you HAVE to kill more than 5 defender points per turn to attrition the garrison, it gets 5 points back during the allied turn.

Thought so far, amazing carnage and the AI is not to hot, it does not know when it is best to withdraw. I am sure I played a bad game and now have to build up for Barbarrosa plus conquor a few more countries.

just look at the August 26th casualties, the UK total is really weird as the BEF never went to France.

I wonder if the UK casuality list includes Minor Allies.......

Did the Germans even have 1800 tanks at this point in the war?

Or is that 1800 troops lost from tank units....it is all very unclear.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 68
RE: First Impressions - 6/20/2007 1:24:48 AM   
Forwarn45

Well I bit the bullet and got the game. So far, I kind of like it. I decided to take the Allies for my first game and have reached August of '40. I gave the Axis AI a moderate (2 level) advantage. France fell in June - I did not reinforce with the Brits and could have probably held on longer if I tried.

A few points:
AI: The Axis land/air AI is not too bad - although it enjoyed chasing down damaged units rather than trying to get Paris at the earliest opportunity. It also overexposed units a bit when initially attacking. Also, perhaps the AI should be told not to create unnecessary casualties by continuing to attack a country that is about to surrender.

EDIT: The uboats showed up after the Fall of France, sinking one of my (by then) complacent convoys.

Also - Is there weather other than on the Eastern Front? This makes an early attack on France and the Low Countries more desirable than it would have been historically.

< Message edited by Forwarn45 -- 6/20/2007 2:03:42 AM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 69
RE: First Impressions - 6/20/2007 8:48:54 AM   
bssybeep

This is a terrific game! Since my purchase on release day, I've been playing 2-4 hours every evening.  Poor Carriers at War and Stalker are sitting, collecting dust.  Being a jaded gamer, I normally cannot focus on one game for any length of time, but this game is fun! 

Currently, as the Axis, I have Moscow and Paris and poised to take London.  I invaded Spain to free up the Italian fleet into the Atlantic, together with my UBoat fleet they are keeping UK and Soviet convoys at bay (barely).

Only thing that bugs me is I have captured a ton of oil rigs on the map and it doesn't appear to make a difference in my oil reserve, I'm still constantly running out of oil, bug? 

(in reply to Forwarn45)
Post #: 70
RE: First Impressions - 6/20/2007 9:48:03 AM   
Forwarn45

quote:

ORIGINAL: Forwarn45

Well I bit the bullet and got the game. So far, I kind of like it. I decided to take the Allies for my first game and have reached August of '40. I gave the Axis AI a moderate (2 level) advantage. France fell in June - I did not reinforce with the Brits and could have probably held on longer if I tried.

A few points:
AI: The Axis land/air AI is not too bad - although it enjoyed chasing down damaged units rather than trying to get Paris at the earliest opportunity. It also overexposed units a bit when initially attacking. Also, perhaps the AI should be told not to create unnecessary casualties by continuing to attack a country that is about to surrender.

EDIT: The uboats showed up after the Fall of France, sinking one of my (by then) complacent convoys.

Also - Is there weather other than on the Eastern Front? This makes an early attack on France and the Low Countries more desirable than it would have been historically.

A little update- I played all the way through to Spring of '42. There is definitely an addctive quality to the game. Anyway, with the 2-level help to the AI Axis, the invasion of the Soviet Union has proved challenging. The Axis attacked in early July of '41 and quickly drove the Soviets back. By late '41 the Soviets were slowing the Axis with the help of winter. The line ran about from Pskov - just outside Minsk - Kiev - Dneprotvsk. Even during Winter, the AI Axis was able to advance a bit in some directions (moving a bit forward toward Smolensk and Kharkov) - although i retook Dneprotvsk. As the weather begins to clear, my Soviet forces are facing a dangerous renewed offensive. Still to be determined is how the AI Axis will respond to a planned amphibious invasion in the West. The British were able to take Libya with little opposition - I don't think the Italians reinforced at all.

(in reply to Forwarn45)
Post #: 71
RE: First Impressions - 6/20/2007 10:26:42 AM   
Dave Ferguson

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter
Did the Germans even have 1800 tanks at this point in the war?

Or is that 1800 troops lost from tank units....it is all very unclear.

Yes they did and those losses probably include many tanks that can be repaired. The Lufwaffe losses are lower than historical and they lost over 1000 planes during May/June 1940.

I think the casualties are there to increase the immersive value of the game as there is no direct correlation between unit points and manpower/tanks/aircraft.

Dave

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 72
RE: First Impressions - 6/20/2007 10:56:41 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

One catch to your little theory, rh, is that you have been able to bargain bin in the days when wargames were aplenty at stores. Nowadays that's not happening, except for sims and FPS's.

As far as internet purchasing goes, I don't know about you or Dredd, but I don't trust the delivery system to get it to me, although, I think I have always received all the stuff I order (go figure). It's just that to see it in a store is security. It's being able to play it right away if you so desire. My postal service is so lousy you're lucky to get something in a week. There's also that momentum consideration too, known to others as get-them-while-they're-hot, to where if I have to wait for a week to get something I likely be so focused on something else during the interval, that my enthusiasm, if there were any, will have likely taken somewhat of a beating. I don't know what it is, but this happens to me on mail orders for some reason. It's like, great, I'm glad it arrived, but it inevitably ends up arriving at a bad day of the week or something like that, to where I don't jump on it right away or I'm so involved in another game I hate to tear away. I guess you guys that don't work 3rd shift don't have that problem that much, but to buy somethign at a store is still far superior, because you're probably not buying it just before you're fixing to drag off to bed or work.

I guess that was part of th e old days too wasn't it? Where part of your buying a game at the store was the immediacy of it. If it was one that just got released, assuming you had a shot at getting it, whatever you were playing took a back seat because you knew you could play the new game right away. When the game just gets delivered to you in some random manner it's just not the same.

Yes that is true Charles, but, the other thing of nowadays is I already have umpteen jillion WW2 games, half a jillion civil war games and another half a jillion napoleonic games. Therefore most of this stuff coming out today just doesn't appeal to me anyway. Thus, I can sit back and wait YEARS for some of these titles to go bargain bin or used or capitalize on Matrixgames Christmas Specials or NWS since they are nothing more than the same just from a different perspective. I mean how many ways do you want to play a grand scale WW2 game? Lol I already have HOI I & II, GGWAW, Panzer General I & II, Strategic Command I, even the old 3rd Reich computer game. It's just gotten to a point with me it's just tossing money to the wind to pay $40 or $50 for the same thing I already own in several different variants and I haven't even played all of them out, probably never will. Funny thing is Panzer General and HOI I are the only two of the bunch I paid full retail for. I held out for all the rest for $10 or less. I don't even recall what I paid for computer 3rd Reich, but, it was a sale not full retail price.

Things of the Pacific War Land Battles or Ancients I will pretty much pay full price for or not wait as long as I can with most WW2 titles and civil war titles and napoleonic titles. I jumped on HPS Pacific War Squad Battles game as soon as I saw it. I bought Tin Soldiers:Caesar as well outright. For me it HAS to be NEW and something I don't have a large collection of. Ancients/Medieval and Pacific War Land Battles are pretty rare in comparison to most of what is always being released. That Zulu War/Rorkes Drift game I put a thread up about I would buy in a heartbeat, just because I don't have anything for that war period except an old Impressions game from waayyyyy back there that really had an awful ai and ui.

I can still catch some Matrixgames on Ebay from time to time if I want them. It is rare to see one up, but, still they do popup from time to time. With the direct download you don't see many of them though. I wouldn't purchase a direct download game from anyone anyway. I don't trust it. But, NWS stocks all of Matrixgames titels and those are all hard copy with cd and printed manual (the ones that have printed manuals now) and he gives some special deals from time to time let alone offers great tradein value for your titles you no longer care about or want to keep or play.

Then of course my greatest option is friends in my area who play wargames as well who have titles I don't and I can still play many titles without having to own the game. LOL I guess the only thing to thwart that will be when the license agreement states in the future that YOU are the ONLY person that can play this game from your computer except online email or ISP. hahaha You may NOT allow anyone in your local area to play this game or take home and play on their computer without expressed written permission which we will never give. lol roflmao.

As far as internet purchasing, I guess I'm blessed or lucky or whatever, but, all my transactions with ebay and amazon.com have always been successful and I've been using them since what now 1996, over 11 years without a loss or disappointment in quality of the items I bought. It's direct download I don't like. I want physical copy of everything I buy. I don't like paying for air or digits I want my cdrom/dvd, a nice colorful printed manual (spiral bound if possible) and a jewel case not these bloomin envelopes (more cheapness out of publishers) and they can keep the box. The game box never did do me any good and that's just a waste of resources if you ask me. ;)

It's funny you would say that about direct downlaod, because I was thinking the only way to bring back the immediacy of buying a wargame at a store was to use that method. Yes, I don't like that method either, though I have used it once or twice. the only thing I do like, if anybody is doing it, and would for the most part totally revive the old days of buying them at the store, would be if the company in question would offer you *both* the physical copy and the sirect downlaod for the physical price. That way there's no delay unless the DD screws up, and you will get the physical as you pretty much would get anything in the mail.

I have a different mind for WWII titles in particular, and my mind pretty much focuses there in wargame terms. To me, since I like WWII so much, I don't buy every title that is out there, probably not even a third of them, and while I see something of the futility of buying constant new versions, of say, 3rd reich, I also think that with time and the power of the computer that they should be getting better in terms of what you can or should be able to do with them; comparing winSPWW2 to SP for example, so I'm not so worn out of the same ol' theme over and over. Let me see if I can recall the computer games I had and what happened to them in the 3rd Reich vein and some future ones, in no particular order:

3rd Reich - Didn't play it very long. I can't recall why I didn't like it, but it was pretty substantial reasoning. I probably played it a few hours.

Panzer General - Never played it. I liked Fantasy General for the days I bought those sort of games to any extent, but my hallowed WWII category I could not see exposing to such a system. It just seemed too cartoonish for me to get any link to history out of it.

Clash of Steel - Whooped it like crazy once or twice as Germany. After that, I hated it. It was a child's game more or less as I saw it.

HoI - Have the first one. Disliked it to about the point that I exited 3rd Reich. Felt so ripped off by this game that I never considered HoI2.

WiF - There may be some possibility there.

This game - Maybe, maybe.

GGWAW - No way. Seasonal turns are worse than CoS. No way ever I will get a seasonal garbage game again, unless you're talking something with a very long lifespan like the Civ series. I can't recall if 3rd Reich or CoS were seasonal.

Strategic Command - I played a bit of a demo I think, and while it I found it generally favorable, there just wasn't enough there to make me want it to play it more than once or twice. That is my overall perspective on any game. I have to envision myslef playing it for at least a whole week straight, or it's a waste of time and money. I don't buy just to have a title or for experimentation purposes. If it's cheap experiment away, but otherwise not.

Just in pure concept alone, it seems to me that the best 3rd reich type game to come along will be WiF, but if it doesn't have an AI I won't buy it naturally.

This game has some strong points such as I mentioned about the map being so large and the attention to convoying, but only one unit attacking at a time is a significant drawback. I have no idea how WiF will let you attack, or how many turns it will have, but from what I have listed here, there's not really a very strong candidate to date. CEaW may be the best as of now, but then it has the largest pricetag of the bunch too. I just don't see anything gripping me, WiF aside, like WiR did for example. I tend to group WiR into the 3rd Reich category because it was so large for the time, but it was only east front. That's what I'm hoping for and probing for on the 3rd Reich type game, that I will find one as good as that was, so until that time comes I don't buy each and every one of them that comes along and conclude they're all the same. The fact that I can often tell that without buying them helps very much to deal with the frustration that I've bought something which is same-ol same-ol. It's pretty easy to find games that won't measure up and you already know this before you turned down buying them. This game I think quite clearly isn't on that level, but it is perhaps somewhere inbetween. The only question I have is whether I want to settle for inbetween for the time being.

It appears that our basic buying modes are significantly different. It looks like your method is basically scattershot, that you want to get as many of them as you can, thereby, perhaps, not getting much into scrutiny before purchase, perhaps as well not believing you can accurately judge them before you buy them; but buying them cheap. My buying pattern is quite different. I usually pay full price for at least the WWII titles, but I put heavy discernment into them and so I don't buy very many of them. It is very possible that I will buy a game that I can easily see isn't any better than the other attempts at a specific genre, but it would only be likely if I was just completely bored with what I had at that time (or I was stuck with a Vista machine). As I said before, if I don't see myself playing something for a week straight, and that's probably being conservative, I just won't buy it and unless the game is over $40 the price is relatively meaningless. If it's over $40, then it's placed at much higher scrutiny. Basically, if you can foresee yourself playing something at least a week straight, that amounts to it having legs. I say that because I don't just buy a title to get me by for a week of gaming and want to see longevity out of it. To play something shorter than a week, is more of a distraction and a nuisance than a pleasure.

< Message edited by Charles_22 -- 6/20/2007 11:01:17 AM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 73
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Commander - Europe at War Gold >> RE: First Impressions Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI