Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tojo needs help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Tojo needs help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tojo needs help - 8/13/2007 3:22:49 AM   
Duck Doc

I have been playing against the AI trying to learn this beast. It is scary how faithful this game is to the history of the conflict.

My problem: the Japanese are able to take the coastal strip of provinces but when I go to make my push south China always sends a big force to capture one or two back. I leave 5 units or so in each of the provinces I conquer but the Chinese are able to defeat me easily. I haven't been concentrating on bombing their infrastructure & I will concentrate on doing that next go around. What is the best way to deal with China?

Also, when I make my push south I can't decide if I should use transports to try to create a network all the way to Rabaul or if I should use the transports to convey units to their destinations. Which is best?

I am realizing how little the Japanese have in the way of resources & manpower.

Wow, this game can be a bit intimidating! I have much to learn. I would appreciate any advice. I have been reading the AAR's & they have been very helpful.
Post #: 1
RE: Tojo needs help - 8/13/2007 12:58:48 PM   
a511

Hi,

Never thought that the CHN AI is that strong but I think JP got a whole lot of army (in particular, the ARTs in the pacific islands which are of no use until US DOW). I dont think the AI will still send out the CHN infantry at a provinces with a couple of ARTs. If so, u shall consider urself lucky to have the chance to eliminate the CHN units.

The other thing u can do is to bomb the CHN infrastructures (railways and factories) as w/o Lend Lease, CHN dont have the supplies to move/attack.

I dont really get what u want to ask in ur second question.

Of course JP is too little to be the force to win the war but a good JP strategy can make a real difference in whether the axis can win by AV or survive beyond Fa46.

a511

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 2
RE: Tojo needs help - 8/13/2007 9:11:02 PM   
christian brown

To A511:

Since he's been playing the AI, they've probably been getting not only free supply but also combat help, these 2 factors can contribute strongly to a powerful China - I assume you no longer play the AI and may have forgotten this in your conclusion.......?

However, you are absolutely correct about denuding all those pacific island garrisons, I have always found them WORTHLESS in any capacity other than as forces for the occupation of Chinese territories or as jump off forces for the Greater South East Asian Co-prosperity Sphere (LOL, love that phrase!)

As for the question regarding transports, I too am a bit lost on that, not sure what he means: transport link versus troop mover??? The only thing I can imagine he means is whether to leave them in place (to collect non-existent resources in CentPac?!) versus grouping them up for the DEI grab..........
IF that is what is meant, then yes, use them for the first turn grab........if Germany has already launched Barbarossa, it is likely there is not much pressure on the WA by this time, hence they can reinforce untaken regions in the DEI rather easily and it can be very costly indeed dislodging them. As the Japanese, I always build enough TF and INF units (plus move that para into position supported by all available non-carrier air) to capture the resource bearing region of the Philippines, Singapore, Java, Borneo and Sumatra........if there has been a miscalculation, regions within the outer ring can wait for turn 2 of the grab.................the entire grabbing process should, IMHO, not take longer than 2 turns to accomplish, with all resources repaired at the end of such turn. So again, I would strongly reccomend moving all available TFs not needed for the resource and resupply link moved into the South China Sea and South. Ground units and TFs are simply wasted elsewhere in the beginning of the Japanese attack. It has been my experience that the DEI grab plus the Pearl attack are possible given Japanese resources with the following caveats:

no more than 3 technologies can be researched heavily - so bringing your land forces up to par is basically out of the question

building more HBs to hit Chinese factories and rail or teching up the LA attribute of said HBs is similarly too expensive

building up a realistic threat against the SU in Manchuria to prevent them from redeploying away is not really doable

This is of course only applicable if you are NOT going for an Inland China or SU land grab.......

It's my opinion that the Japanese player can be very strong in perhaps 2 areas of the map at a time, never more, sometimes, especially after say turn 3 of their assualt on the WA, only one at a time. Though not a super competitive player all-round, I think I've done fairly well as Japan in my games, and am quite sure that being resource-poor has something to do with it. It seems the less you have to work with, the more efficient you are with what you have.

"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to a511)
Post #: 3
RE: Tojo needs help - 8/14/2007 8:29:06 PM   
Duck Doc

Christian & a511, thanks for your replies.

Yes, the AI is able to construct a strong force to threaten the coastal provinces. I will work on destroying infrastructure to try to stop them. I had tumbled to denuding all garrisons & putting them in China to help offset the Chinese threat also.

The Intelligence Files section of the Game Manual advises:

"To prepare for all-out war, put at least 100 Supply Points as well as four Militia, three Infantry, and three Artillery units with ten Transport Fleets to carry them into attack positions in French Indochina and the Palaus beforehand (perfect bases for such a move) to prepare to capture the Resource Points in the Dutch East Indies/Borneo/Malaysia regions. With this force in place, these resource-rich regions will be in Japanese possession and decently garrisoned within two turns. You can accomplish the grab with fewer units and can even pull off the whole operation in one turn, but either course of action will require many more Transport Fleets."

I understand about the move south & I am able to do what Christian recommends. I am able to capture all I want with infantry & paratroops alone with the help of airpower (no artillery needed).

I build the transport ships & position two of them in each sea region & move infantry over them onto the island objectives using strategic movement & then conduct amphibious landings. The manual seems to suggest loading infantry units on transports & physically move them. I am a little confused here.

Once the remoter islands are garrisoned (eg. the Bismarks) they also need a transport network in order to conduct offensive operations?

Sorry to be so dense & thanks again for your help. I'm playing the AI because I would get creamed PBEM. I haven't been devoting as much time to learning the game as I want and, besides, I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier . You all were correct. This is one fantastic, humdinger of a strategic game, a gem!

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 4
RE: Tojo needs help - 8/14/2007 10:03:10 PM   
christian brown

Dale H,
Just so you know, I actually wrote those "files" you allude to above, but many of the points in them are still quite valid, though they were written during the beta phase (before we had really large numbers of players testing all the possibilities - so of course, there are several tacks that would need to be reworked upon a new release.)
Where I AM lost is your idea that you can somehow "load Transport Fleets and then move somewhere" this, clearly, cannot happen, the chain must be left intact from embarkation to debarkation of all units. I'm certain you already figured this out and am sorry if the manual somehow muddied this point. Explaining the mechanics of Amphib and Strategic Movement with mere words was a difficult task for those who wrote them, hence the tutorial (indispensable in my view).........these mechanics are quite different from those encountered in many other wargames but give a more realistic feel for the immense difficulties involved in shipping men and materials long distances over seaways......

As for the Bismarcks, et al, yes, you'd need some uninterrupted chain of transports from the source of the supplies (most likely Japan) to wherever you needed to deposit them, the only exception being airlifting them with an HB (another point here to remember is that you MUST supply the HB first, then attach the 5 supply points to be transported, otherwise, you may land with only 4 supply, the other having been consumed by the HB inflight and if you have exposed FoW somehow, the move will be irreversible!)

Helpful?

You do not appear dense, the truth is that is takes even very intelligent people quite a while to really get comfortable with all the mechanics, the "color and Chrome" as some like to descibe them, i.e. the beautiful map and unit icons can sometimes deceive as to the real complexity of this simulation : )

"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 5
RE: Tojo needs help - 8/16/2007 3:32:54 AM   
Duck Doc

Christian,

I understand now. I thought from playing that the transport network was the analogous way to move by strategic movement at sea where rail is the way on land.

The Intelligence Files section is a bit confusing but all is forgiven now. It is very difficult explaining something this complicated with a word picture. I am way too literal & dependent on the Game Manual. I used to teach a complicated subject to those struggling to grasp & I know how difficult a task it is.

Thanks very much for the explanation. I was on the right track after all.

Yes, this game is going to take some effort to learn, that's for sure. I will persist.

quote:

ORIGINAL: christian brown

Dale H,
Just so you know, I actually wrote those "files" you allude to above, but many of the points in them are still quite valid, though they were written during the beta phase (before we had really large numbers of players testing all the possibilities - so of course, there are several tacks that would need to be reworked upon a new release.)
Where I AM lost is your idea that you can somehow "load Transport Fleets and then move somewhere" this, clearly, cannot happen, the chain must be left intact from embarkation to debarkation of all units. I'm certain you already figured this out and am sorry if the manual somehow muddied this point. Explaining the mechanics of Amphib and Strategic Movement with mere words was a difficult task for those who wrote them, hence the tutorial (indispensable in my view).........these mechanics are quite different from those encountered in many other wargames but give a more realistic feel for the immense difficulties involved in shipping men and materials long distances over seaways......

As for the Bismarcks, et al, yes, you'd need some uninterrupted chain of transports from the source of the supplies (most likely Japan) to wherever you needed to deposit them, the only exception being airlifting them with an HB (another point here to remember is that you MUST supply the HB first, then attach the 5 supply points to be transported, otherwise, you may land with only 4 supply, the other having been consumed by the HB inflight and if you have exposed FoW somehow, the move will be irreversible!)

Helpful?

You do not appear dense, the truth is that is takes even very intelligent people quite a while to really get comfortable with all the mechanics, the "color and Chrome" as some like to descibe them, i.e. the beautiful map and unit icons can sometimes deceive as to the real complexity of this simulation : )

(in reply to christian brown)
Post #: 6
RE: Tojo needs help - 8/16/2007 3:51:24 AM   
christian brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dale H

Yes, this game is going to take some effort to learn, that's for sure. I will persist.

That's one of the key reasons for this forum to exist ; )

Everyone is happy to help..........

Best of Luck!

~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 7
RE: Tojo needs help - 8/16/2007 4:03:46 AM   
mek42

As another beginner player, one of the things I have decided to do is to always make as much supply as possible in Manchuria before building anything in the home islands.  It is downright embarrassing to not have enough supply after your big attack to keep the guerillas at bay...

(in reply to christian brown)
Post #: 8
RE: Tojo needs help - 8/16/2007 1:54:02 PM   
GKar

quote:

ORIGINAL: mek42

As another beginner player, one of the things I have decided to do is to always make as much supply as possible in Manchuria before building anything in the home islands.  It is downright embarrassing to not have enough supply after your big attack to keep the guerillas at bay...

Yep, I'd say that this is the right thing to do most of the time.

(in reply to mek42)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Tojo needs help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI