Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Comprehensive Wishlist

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: Comprehensive Wishlist Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 6/22/2008 5:10:18 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

The game engine needs to be changed so that the “retreat before combat” occurs during the combat phase of the turn, not during the movement/planning phase.

Reference the following thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1833849

Regards, RhinoBones

I'll add it to the list, but I think it's a singularly bad idea. It will lead to a new form of ant unit abuse - ant unit defenses! TOAW allows the creation (by design or by combat) of units far too small to hold a hex. They shouldn't impede the movement of full-sized units, and that's what RBCs model.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 361
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 6/22/2008 7:14:34 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
It will lead to a new form of ant unit abuse - ant unit defenses!

Think that is a bit of a stretch . . . but to make a compromise, it would be sufficient if the attacker was provided the option of whether or not to occupy the vacated hex.

Regards, RhinoBones

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 362
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 6/23/2008 1:37:58 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

I also like RBCs, but lets be honest, RBC doesn’t always work to your advantage, you have no control on whether the attacking unit advances, the unit attacks before you give it the order to attack and we’ve both seen an opponent chase a weak unit four or five hexes which is NOT a very realistic military maneuver.

But I look at almost every defense as a possible Rbc. I will plan for it, move first, register all my artillery on the unit defending, select my best unit and click the defender. If it Rbc's, I feel I did a good job planning an attack and initially forcing the defender out of the hex. If it doesn't Rbc, I rethink the attack to see if it is set the way I actually want it to go down during the combat phase. So the way I see it, it is realistic for a weaker unit on defense to break under the pressure of bombardment and an initial assault.

Now as for chasing that unit all around the enemy's rear area, it does seem silly most of the time. But you can also end up with a good attacking unit being run down and cut off. So in most cases it's better to leave the poor Rbc'd unit alone until you advance further thru the combat phases, or even until the next turn.

Cheers!

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 363
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 6/23/2008 2:16:22 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

It will lead to a new form of ant unit abuse - ant unit defenses!

Think that is a bit of a stretch . . . but to make a compromise, it would be sufficient if the attacker was provided the option of whether or not to occupy the vacated hex.

Regards, RhinoBones

Well...that's why you think before you click.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 364
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 6/23/2008 2:18:34 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

The game engine needs to be changed so that the “retreat before combat” occurs during the combat phase of the turn, not during the movement/planning phase.

Reference the following thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1833849

Regards, RhinoBones

I'll add it to the list, but I think it's a singularly bad idea. It will lead to a new form of ant unit abuse - ant unit defenses! TOAW allows the creation (by design or by combat) of units far too small to hold a hex. They shouldn't impede the movement of full-sized units, and that's what RBCs model.

I hate to admit it, but I think 'Curtis' is right here. Abolishing RBC's would create a whole new category of ant unit-isms. Subdivided MP's and such would become the stalwarts of any fighting withdrawal.

Most of the problems that presumably inspired this idea can be avoided if the defender plans properly. A unit that is likely to RBC is fairly obvious. If you can, reinforce it or move it out of the way. If you can't move it out of the way, disband it. If you can't disband it, figure the RBC is going to happen and deploy accordingly.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 6/23/2008 2:21:39 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 365
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 6/25/2008 4:31:11 AM   
rhinobones

People seem to have missed the focus of my suggestion. Some more explanation at:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1833849&mpage=1�

Regards, RhinoBones

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 366
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 6/25/2008 4:33:54 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

Is there a purpose behind this post?

Regards, RhinoBones

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 367
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 6/25/2008 5:25:40 AM   
Legun

Although I'm not sure if there is any reason to discuss about such small improvements, when none big has a chance to be implemented, but...
There is a simple way to regulate advance-after-RBC. If an unit is set for minimal losses, it doesn't advance. If it's set for limited or ignore losses - it advances.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 368
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 6/25/2008 6:22:03 AM   
Veers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Legun

Although I'm not sure if there is any reason to discuss about such small improvements, when none big has a chance to be implemented, but...
There is a simple way to regulate advance-after-RBC. If an unit is set for minimal losses, it doesn't advance. If it's set for limited or ignore losses - it advances.

Or better yet if an RBC is calculated to happen a simple dialog pops up, with two options: Advance/Do not Advance.

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to Legun)
Post #: 369
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 6/25/2008 5:07:37 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veers

quote:

Or better yet if an RBC is calculated to happen a simple dialog pops up, with two options: Advance/Do not Advance.

Better would be to have some way to "pre-set" the unit to a Limited Attack posture, before attempting to set up the attack. Under that posture, the defender wouldn't RBC. I don't think you should be allowed to get an RBC without advancing.

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 370
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 6/25/2008 10:55:03 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

Finially, someone on this board who understands the problem and makes sense.
This was not predictable.

Regards, RhinoBones

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 371
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 6/25/2008 11:35:29 PM   
Karri

quote:

quote:

...which is way more hassle than the workaround.

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 372
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 6/26/2008 1:33:26 AM   
Veers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karri

quote:

quote:

...which is way more hassle than the workaround.

Suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 373
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 6/26/2008 1:34:46 AM   
Veers

quote:

quote:

quote:

Better would be to have some way to "pre-set" the unit to a Limited Attack posture, before attempting to set up the attack. Under that posture, the defender wouldn't RBC. I don't think you should be allowed to get an RBC without advancing.

Good point. This way, as commander, you either have to deliberately choose to advance or not.

Post #: 374
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 6/26/2008 1:35:26 AM   
Veers

quote:

quote:

Finially, someone on this board who understands the problem and makes sense.
This was not predictable.

Regards, RhinoBones

Well thanks, Rhino...I think.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 375
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 6/26/2008 8:05:35 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

Is there a purpose behind this post?

Regards, RhinoBones

Yes. Any RBC that occurs occurs because you clicked. If RBC's are occurring that you wish hadn't occurred, the problem is that you clicked.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 376
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 6/28/2008 4:48:58 PM   
rhinobones

Silly boy . . . "clicks" are for kids.

Post #: 377
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/10/2008 4:51:11 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

There are a couple of points to be made here. First, those pesky defenders often do not wait around to get creamed by overwhelming attacks in real life; they really will RBC when you didn't want them to. Second and on the other hand, it's pretty hard to guarantee this effect without physically advancing into the area in question. If a battered company of infantry is holding Wadi whatever, it may not suffice to inform them that I have an entire panzer regiment 5 km down the road and therefore they have to vacate the wadi -- no, I may have to physically rumble forward with the Panzer regiment and wind up with it in the wadi. I do have to advance into the vacated hex if I want the RBC.

In other words, the RBC/no RBC and the advance/no advance ideas both rest on the assumption that effects that were not necessarily under the control of the attacker should be under the control of the attacker.

In general, TOAW works by providing at least an illusion that it is providing a valid simulation of actual warfare. Part of the way it produces this effect is through intentionally avoiding completely predictable results: 'no battle plan survives contact with the enemy.'

Our various would-be Rommels don't want this: it's irritating when their carefully calibrated plans fall apart. Hence the objections to early turn ending, the occasional off-beat combat result, and sudden RBC's. They want the results to be more predictable -- but this would destroy much of the accuracy of TOAW as a simulation of actual warfare. Those exasperating early turn endings, etc are essential to the overall effect. Greater predictability would be more satisfying to the attackmeisters -- but it wouldn't be war.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 7/10/2008 5:00:59 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 378
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/11/2008 11:35:08 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

. . . they really will RBC when you didn't want them to.

The problem is not that the defender withdraws prior to the combat resolution portion of the round, in fact, retreating is a perfectly acceptable defensive maneuver. The problem is that the offensive units move prior to the designated assault time. The fact that a defensive unit is observed to have voluntarily relinquished a position is not justification for a unit to disregard the assault orders/timing and prematurely occupy the former enemy position. Certainly there will be situations where the local commander can take advantage of an enemy retreat, but this is not doctrine as exhibited in TOAW.

I have seen RCB, but never a RBC/auto-advance during my time in the military, and I seriously doubt that you can find a combat veteran who will support your position that RBC/auto-advance is a common occurrence. The fact is that unit commanders will not advance prematurely and, without support, into a vacated enemy position.

This all makes me wonder why it is so magical that simply targeting the defender with artillery negates RBC. The artillery targets the defender, no rounds are fired down range, the enemy has absolutely no way of knowing that they are targeted and yet the process of assigning artillery support totally prevents the unit from retreating. In TOAW you can target the defender, prevent RBC, plan an assault and then retarget the artillery elsewhere. Some may say that the action of targeting amounts to pinning down the defender with artillery, but with no supply expended and no casualties occurring, there is no artillery fire on the defender . . . there is no reason for saying that artillery fire is preventing the defender from retreating. No, the artillery has simply received an order to support the attack and has yet to fire a round. Somehow this prevents a defending unit from retreating as a massive assault is prepared and probably being observed by the defender. Another Norm oddity . . . artillery magic.

quote:

I do have to advance into the vacated hex if I want the RBC.

Then why isn’t there on option not to advance into the hex when you do not want the RBC?

What on earth compels the offensive unit to automatically advance into an enemy position, advancing without knowledge that the enemy has completely withdrawn, without support and in spite of the possibility that the enemy may be setting a trap? You don’t have to advance to get the RBC . . . the defender withdrew when they observed the attack forming. The requirement of advancing into the vacated defender position in order to get a RBC has no logical or military merit.

quote:

. . . various would-be Rommels . . . irritating . . . carefully calibrated . . . attackmeisters . .

As a long time contributor to this forum and acknowledged sage of the game, I think it is beneath you to belittle other players. Each individual has a personal way on enjoying TOAW and should not be subjected to your judgment. You should be bigger than that . . . the various Rommels are due an apology.

quote:

. . . but it wouldn't be war.

As though you would know . . .

Regards, RhinoBones

Post #: 379
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/12/2008 9:24:52 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

. . . they really will RBC when you didn't want them to.

The problem is not that the defender withdraws prior to the combat resolution portion of the round, in fact, retreating is a perfectly acceptable defensive maneuver. The problem is that the offensive units move prior to the designated assault time. The fact that a defensive unit is observed to have voluntarily relinquished a position is not justification for a unit to disregard the assault orders/timing and prematurely occupy the former enemy position. Certainly there will be situations where the local commander can take advantage of an enemy retreat, but this is not doctrine as exhibited in TOAW.

I have seen RCB, but never a RBC/auto-advance during my time in the military, and I seriously doubt that you can find a combat veteran who will support your position that RBC/auto-advance is a common occurrence. The fact is that unit commanders will not advance prematurely and, without support, into a vacated enemy position.

This all makes me wonder why it is so magical that simply targeting the defender with artillery negates RBC. The artillery targets the defender, no rounds are fired down range, the enemy has absolutely no way of knowing that they are targeted and yet the process of assigning artillery support totally prevents the unit from retreating. In TOAW you can target the defender, prevent RBC, plan an assault and then retarget the artillery elsewhere. Some may say that the action of targeting amounts to pinning down the defender with artillery, but with no supply expended and no casualties occurring, there is no artillery fire on the defender . . . there is no reason for saying that artillery fire is preventing the defender from retreating. No, the artillery has simply received an order to support the attack and has yet to fire a round. Somehow this prevents a defending unit from retreating as a massive assault is prepared and probably being observed by the defender. Another Norm oddity . . . artillery magic.

We could debate the concept of RBC's and the automatic advance interminably -- and probably to little profit. Suffice it to say it doesn't bother me -- and the thought of a defender backpedaling ten kilometers or so without any pursuit does.

More to the point, I don't find your argument against the 'artillery preventing RBC' very convincing. Sure it's a trick -- but it prevents those RBC's you object to. You don't want to risk an RBC, set up an artillery bombrdment. Cancel it later if you want to. Substantially nothing has occurred except that you've prevented any chance of an RBC. What's the problem?

quote:

I do have to advance into the vacated hex if I want the RBC.

Then why isn’t there on option not to advance into the hex when you do not want the RBC?

You want to chase someone out of a village, you have to chase them out. Sending a polite note just won't cut it.
quote:

What on earth compels the offensive unit to automatically advance into an enemy position, advancing without knowledge that the enemy has completely withdrawn, without support and in spite of the possibility that the enemy may be setting a trap? You don’t have to advance to get the RBC . . . the defender withdrew when they observed the attack forming. The requirement of advancing into the vacated defender position in order to get a RBC has no logical or military merit.

An RBC represents a powerful unit poking its nose into that village to see just how strongly held it is. Naturally, if you don't poke, the defenders aren't especially likely to leave. Once they've left, you're in the village. Now, in an ideal world, maybe only the advance elements of the unit would be in the village, or maybe they would pull back so quickly that no part of their 'turn' would have been consumed (although in most cases, an appreciable part of the turn would have been consumed). However, OPART has to generalize, and I prefer the current generalization to any of the alternatives I've seen presented.
quote:

quote:

. . . various would-be Rommels . . . irritating . . . carefully calibrated . . . attackmeisters . .

As a long time contributor to this forum and acknowledged sage of the game, I think it is beneath you to belittle other players. Each individual has a personal way on enjoying TOAW and should not be subjected to your judgment. You should be bigger than that . . . the various Rommels are due an apology.

Oh bullshit. There was nothing particularly offensive about what I said. Naturally everyone wants their turn to go off as planned. However, as I pointed out, that's precisely what usually doesn't happen in war.
quote:

quote:

. . . but it wouldn't be war.

As though you would know . . .

Regards, RhinoBones

Right. The great military expert. Tell us about your extensive and varied career and all the combat situations you've been in. How was it, commanding that Kampfgruppe on the Eastern Front? We'd really all like to hear.

You're simply trying to use this unspecified vast body of experience as a club to avoid defending your idea rationally. The bottom line, as far as I'm concerned, is that your suggestion has more drawbacks than advantages. It's a 90/10 split. The current system reasonably summarizes what happens 90% of the time and fails 10% of the time. The alternatives would reasonably summarize what happens 10% of the time and fail 90% of the time. It's vaguely reminiscent of those arguments against wearing a seatbelt.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 7/15/2008 8:44:18 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 380
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/14/2008 4:37:02 AM   
wmorris

DELETED BY POSTER

< Message edited by wmorris -- 7/14/2008 4:40:42 AM >

Post #: 381
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 8/10/2008 12:35:34 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

Right. The great military expert. Tell us about your extensive and varied career and all the combat situations you've been in. How was it, commanding that Kampfgruppe on the Eastern Front? We'd really all like to hear.

Hmmm . . . I don't recall ever stating that I commanded a Kampfgruppe.

You are making this up, right?

Nothing like trying to make a point by creating a lie . . . a la Hitlerisque . . .

quote:

Oh bullshit. There was nothing particularly offensive about what I said.

I would have thought you could provide a better response. Mama Wright should be washing out your mouth with soap.

Regards, RhinoBones

PS - As for the RhinoBones scenario questioner, you are making a false assumption that I find the scenario interesting enough to ever play again. An absolutely stupid assumption.

Post #: 382
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 8/10/2008 1:44:22 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

Nothing like trying to make a point by creating a lie . . . a la Hitlerisque . . .

Nothing like trying to make a point by comparing your interlocutor to Hitler.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 383
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 8/10/2008 6:23:27 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

Hmmm . . . I don't recall ever stating that I commanded a Kampfgruppe.

You are making this up, right?

quote:

Oh bullshit. There was nothing particularly offensive about what I said.

I would have thought you could provide a better response. Mama Wright should be washing out your mouth with soap.

Regards, RhinoBones

PS - As for the RhinoBones scenario questioner, you are making a false assumption that I find the scenario interesting enough to ever play again. An absolutely stupid assumption.

And here I was hoping you'd gone away.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 384
RE: (new withdrawn rule) - 9/13/2008 7:08:21 PM   
Jo van der Pluym

If a unit is scheduled for withdraw. Then the games does withdrawn the unit from the map on the turn of withdraw. I like to see that if a on map unit who is scheduled for withdrawn and is in a enemy zog, has the possibilty that it on the turn/turn before of withdrawn first does retreat out the enemy zog (if possible) and then if it's a turn out a enemy zog then the unit does withdrawn. If a unit cannot retreat out the enemy zog, then the unit does still exist that it is destroyed or it can retreat. From the turn of withdrawn the player cannot give the unit orders. (like if a unit is routed)

Greetings from the Netherlands

Jo van der Pluym
CrazyDutch

Post #: 385
RE: (new withdrawn rule) - 9/13/2008 8:09:25 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jo van der Pluym

If a unit is scheduled for withdraw. Then the games does withdrawn the unit from the map on the turn of withdraw. I like to see that if a on map unit who is scheduled for withdrawn and is in a enemy zog, has the possibilty that it on the turn/turn before of withdrawn first does retreat out the enemy zog (if possible) and then if it's a turn out a enemy zog then the unit does withdrawn. If a unit cannot retreat out the enemy zog, then the unit does still exist that it is destroyed or it can retreat. From the turn of withdrawn the player cannot give the unit orders. (like if a unit is routed)

I see problems...

One solution is to make withdrawing the unit 'voluntary.' The owning player starts receiving a T.O. to withdraw the unit on turn x -- and starts receiving a V.P. penalty until he exercises it.

So you can keep 343. Infanterie in the line as long as you like -- but starting on turn 12, it'll be costing you 1 VP a turn.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Jo van der Pluym)
Post #: 386
RE: (new withdrawn rule) - 9/13/2008 9:26:58 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

So you can keep 343. Infanterie in the line as long as you like -- but starting on turn 12, it'll be costing you 1 VP a turn.

This is similar to the mechanic I used in Poland. The German player has TOs to withdraw a number of infantry divisions to the west. Every turn that each of these divisions is on the map until then, the EEV increments by 1. At higher levels, the EEV can cause severe VP penalties to the German player as the danger of an attack on west Germany increases.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 387
RE: (new withdrawn rule) - 12/4/2008 12:50:35 PM   
Martin James

I read the unofficial wish list today.  On of the requests is to show the unit name on the counter.  Does anyone know if this is under serious consideration please?  How easy would it be to toggle between this and movement/combat?

It was that sort of information that the actual commanders had on their maps, and it would make the whole experience more authentic for me, at any rate.  I have 3 previous versions of TOAW and would certainly buy TOAW III if this feature was introduced.

Appologies if this is the wrong place to post this request.  If so, can someone please redirect me.

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 388
RE: (new withdrawn rule) - 12/4/2008 6:39:26 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Martin James

I read the unofficial wish list today.  On of the requests is to show the unit name on the counter.  Does anyone know if this is under serious consideration please?  How easy would it be to toggle between this and movement/combat?

It was that sort of information that the actual commanders had on their maps, and it would make the whole experience more authentic for me, at any rate.  I have 3 previous versions of TOAW and would certainly buy TOAW III if this feature was introduced.

Appologies if this is the wrong place to post this request.  If so, can someone please redirect me.

This is as good a place as any. All we can say is that it is on the wishlist - along with about 300 other items. Personally, I don't see how the unit name can be fit on the counter icon. There's only space for four or five characters on the icon and unit names can be (and usually are) much longer than that.

(in reply to Martin James)
Post #: 389
RE: (new withdrawn rule) - 12/4/2008 6:42:39 PM   
noxious

quote:

This is as good a place as any. All we can say is that it is on the wishlist - along with about 300 other items. Personally, I don't see how the unit name can be fit on the counter icon. There's only space for four or five characters on the icon and unit names can be (and usually are) much longer than that.

Exactly. Don't see how it can be done without some sort of pop-up window or text overlay beside the unit counter.
If the game was just catering to modern warfare, we could use a similar scheme as what NATO does with numerals/text being off the icon, and in the form of a (small/tiny) text overlay

Be Kind. Everyone is fighting a hard battle.

Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: Comprehensive Wishlist Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI