Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Defending a river line

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> RE: Defending a river line Page: <<   < prev  7 8 9 10 [11]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Defending a river line - 11/1/2007 8:51:06 PM   
ColinWright

Mm. Alla Samee...

Rather than turning this into a rather unproductive 'all advocates of (IGOYG/WEGO) are morons' wouldn't it be better to think about possible improvements in both systems?

Starting from the point of view of IGOYG, I was thinking: how about a system where the proportion of the turn consumed in each round is determined not only by how much of the turn is eaten up by attacks but by how much units have moved?

In other words, now your turn ends if some attacking units burns up 80% plus of its turn in the attack (that's an oversimplification, but it's the basic idea). What if the program looked at what was left of the turn for all units rather than just attacking units?

I think it would improve matters. No more units closing pockets on Saturday that were actually liquidated last Tuesday. I actually knew a player who thought the system worked the way I am suggesting and played accordingly: he got by.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 301
RE: Defending a river line - 11/2/2007 4:18:42 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Pardon my absence. I was in Mexico.

Two things.

Firstly, bravo for starting to look for historical evidence to support your beliefs. I think you should have done it the other way round, but lets not quibble.....

Secondly, you seem to have raised the temparature with some of your comments, so remember where you saw it first now the gloves are off...

quote:

For some examples of units functioning sentiently, let’s examine the Normandy Campaign in some detail.

Good call.

quote:

First, Utah Beach, day one:

http://www.dean.usma.edu/history/web03/atlases/ww2%20europe/ww2%20europe%20pages/ww2%20europe%20map%2056.htm

The important thing to note about Utah is that the 4th Division landed at the wrong place. The actual scheduled landing site was more than a mile south of where they actually landed. It was no problem. The plan (for a full division) was revised on the spot and they carried on from there.

Curtis, a little learning is a dangerous thing.

For the Pedants, I think they landed 2 Kilometres south of where they intended, meaning the intended landing site was 2 kilometres north of where they actually landed not south as Curtis asserts, but it is immaterial.

The key thing to remember is actually that the plan wasn't revised on the spot. The Americans still headed for their D-Day objectives which were the four exits off the beach numbered (strangely enough) one through four. In other words, Roosevelt told his men to carry out their existing orders from a different start line. He didn't give out fresh orders or objectives.

They had not landed in the correct position but were still in the area between exits one and four as originally intended and their task remained to secure these prized routes inland. He didn't say "Lets go for Cherbourg", he said, "our orders are to take the exits, lets do it from here."

The second thing to remember is that it is impossible within a WEGO or IGOUGO game to simulate a Unit landing in the wrong position. You select the hex, it doesn't go anywhere else. Therefore, at best this example is irrelevant because its never going to happen.

For argument's sake, if you could simulate it, in WEGO the units would presumably have to attack their objectives (they have no other programming since they are "mindless") which is.....yes, you''ve guessed it, exactly what the men of 4th infantry did on 6th June.

I don't need to provide any more evidence by the looks of it as you are doing it for me.

Out of interest's sake, any deviation from his assigned orders on 6th June by Roosevelt would have led to the Exits not being taken and the Americans not getting off the beach. As I keep trying to tell you, Curtis, in the real world, you get orders for a reason. Ignore them and the whole plan goes out of the window as GIs stack up on shore with the exits in German hands and Roosevelt leading his men towards Cherbourg with the immortal cry "Lets show them we are not mindless automatons men, this isn't WEGO, it's real life, on to Cherbourg!"

Utah is a brave man carrying out his orders as assigned, lets be thankful he ignored the attractiveness of Infiltration principles and didn't deviate from those orders because we needed that beach.

quote:

A similar problem faced the paratroops, since most had scattered far from their drop zones. Again, it was no problem. In fact, note from the map that the paratroops and the 4th Division have combined to envelop a German strongpoint by the end of the day. In fact, most movements and end positions appear dependent more upon the discovered locations of enemy forces, not arbitrary map locations.

The Paratroops uniformly attempted to reach their objectives as best they could. They didn't deviate from their orders, merely attempted to carry them out from their current positions. Again, mis drops of this scale can not be simulated because units have to land in at least enough numbers to form a counter do they not, so this is another red herring.

If the American Paras found themselves concentrated around German strongpoints at the end of the day, it was only partly out of a desire to attack anything German. These strongpoints in many cases lay astride the route from where they landed to where they believed they should be. Remember, these men had objectives crucial to securing the beaches and preventing early German counterattack. Are you seriously suggesting that they would discard such an important mission in order to go swanning around in squad sized groups looking for trouble for the sake of it? They had a crucial part in the day of days, they attempted to follow orders.

quote:

Second, Omaha Beach, day one:

http://www.dean.usma.edu/history/web03/atlases/ww2%20europe/ww2%20europe%20pages/ww2%20europe%20map%2057.htm

This is the most telling case. Here you see classic infiltration principles applied by companies, battalions, and even regiments. The map shows three time snapshots, the landings at about 7:00am, the penetrations reached by noon, and the end-of-day final locations.

Note the breadth of the landings. They uniformly cover the entire length of the beach shown on the map. Contrast that to the four narrow penetrations achieved by noon. You don’t see each platoon trying to create its own personal penetration of the German position. Rather, once one penetration had been achieved, all nearby units shifted to exploit that success, abandoning their own efforts. (Remember the infiltration principle: Exploit Success, Abandon Failure! Here it is to the letter.) This allowed each penetration to be expanded and exploited. Note that exactly where a successful breach would occur could not be known in advance. The assault had to be revised on the spot to exploit any successful breach. That’s infiltration.

More infiltration principles were applied in the afternoon, as the penetrations were exploited. Note how units fanned out relative to each other. Note that the left penetration was exploited to the left and the right penetration was exploited to the right. The central penetrations were exploited in both directions. That seems to be the obvious move based upon what we see in the map at that point. But remember that the invasion was planned without foreknowledge of where the penetrations would occur. If either the right or left penetration had been the only one to succeed, the correct exploitation would have been to fan out from it in both directions. Clearly, their exploitation was devised from knowledge that the other penetrations had occurred. And, note the efforts to get into the rear of German strongpoints and their ending locations (none of which could have been known in advance) and seal off their escape.

Curtis, this was a defining moment for our argument because you have so seriously misunderstood what you are looking at that it's laughable. I've added a little bold to key bits of the above in order to heighten your discomfort as we analyse what you've said.

Lets take an intelligent look at this map of yours. What this looks to represent is a map of where individual battalions got on D-Day. Fine, I'm happy with the positions.

Now, to recap, Curtis is telling us that these positions were effectively caused by inflitration principles (something he seems to be the sole Guardian of at the moment as I am yet to see any other Historian cited in support of this) which reinforced success and not failure. In other words, without needing orders, these units swarmed into the defences and exploiting success and ignoring failure, drove into the areas indicated because these were where the paths of least resistance (or best success) took them.

In other words, since they can't have known where the penetrations would be or where the Germans would end up or where the successes to reinforce would happen, it's all people thinking on their feet and exploiting success not failure.

It's a crock, Curtis, it's a crock.

Your map carries a legend saying it is a composite of others, all of which are in Harrison's Cross Channel Attack. I have this, so lets turn to the original for some enlightenment.

His MAP XII seems to form the basis of this, which shows where the Infantry Assault got to on D-Day.

However, the thing to do is actually look at map XI, rather tellingly entitled V Corps D-Day objectives.

Okay lets start on the American left flank. Your map tells us that 3/16th ended up breaking out from Fox Green and ended up in Le Gd Hameau. 3/16th's D-Day objective was Huppain. The plan was to break out from Fox and turn left because Huppain was a couple of miles up the coast. It's axis of advance took it through Le Grand Hameau which is what your map entry means when it says Le Gd Hameau. Harrison's map XV shows V Corps on 7th-8th June and guess what? 3/16th advances from Le Grand Hameau, takes Huppain and moves on toward Port-en-Bessin to link with the British coming off Gold beach.

In other words, in an absolute miracle of chaos theory, 3/16th has exploited success and that exploitation of success has taken it exactly where it was supposed to go.

What you thought was....

quote:

Note that the left penetration was exploited to the left

...was not a living embodiment of infiltration principles, but 3/16th getting off the beach and attacking towards it's pre-set objectives. It only got as far as Le Gd Hameau because (quite a crucial point this) there were some delays getting off the beach at Omaha on account of German rowdiness. It therefore ran out of daylight. When daylight re-appeared, off it merrily set towards its objectives. Rather amusingly, these objectives were set months before by 21st AG planners. So much for sentience.

But, I hear you cry, one example does not a trashing of infiltration theory make.

Okey-dokey, lets move to the next unit and have a look at that. The 2/16th and 1/16th (rather tellingly) did not exploit with their sister battalion, the rather sentiently led 3/16th, but presumably found other weaknesses to exploit and ended up south of Colleville Sur Mer. Lets do two battalions for the price of one to increase the potency of this example.

Lets consult the good Mr Harrison's weighty tome, map XI. What we find is that these two battalions were ordered (orders drawn up months before) to get off the beach and head for positions south of Colleville Sur Mer. These units did get to their objectives before the end of the day.

Move onto the 18th Infantry Regiment. We see all three infantry battalions getting beyond the 16th and heading for their objectives on D-day which was to get beyond the 16th and establish themselves further south. They were a second wave formation.

Your map shows them on their way, they actually got further by day's end and the reason the battalions are fanning out is not some weird and wonderful infiltration method but that their objective is to control a swathe of land 2 miles wide between Mosles and Mandeville about three miles inland. The 18th's battalion's on your map are spread across about 3.5 kilometres by the looks of it so they can get into the two mile front they need at their objective.

this isn't random, it isn't infiltration, it's units following orders and heading for objectives.

The 116th Regiment are all in the right areas, the 115th is nowhere near it's objectives which were much deeper, but guess where they end up on 7th/8th June? Yup, exactly where the D-day plan said they should be.

Your have rather hopelessly misinterpreted what you are seeing. This is not random, it isn't dependent on the reinforcement of success, it isn't ad-hoc decision making, it is units getting off the beaches, forming up into their consituent macro tactical units (battalions) and heading towards their objectives.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

quote:

Third, the COBRA breakthrough:

Oh, Joy.

quote:

http://www.dean.usma.edu/history/web03/atlases/ww2%20europe/ww2%20europe%20pages/ww2%20europe%20map%2062.htm

Now we’re at the brigade scale (typically half-week turns), and we still see classic exploitation principles applied, with a clear fan out from the breach in the German lines. Note how the exploitation was greater to the east of the breakout than the west – hardly something that would have been planned in advance. There is no question that the two armored divisions were exploiting the path of least resistance.

Okay, this map looks to be based on Blumenson's official history "Breakout and pursuit" Map 6 (in my PDF version). Rather unluckily for Infiltration principle theory I have a copy of this work.

Now, turning to page 217 in Breakout and pursuit we find a copy of the plan for this operation. Can you guess where I'm heading with this, Curtis...?

The plan calls for 3rd Armoured to get through the Infantry penetration and break right towards the coast (Objective the area of Coutances), with CCB on the right flank.

2nd Armoured goes deeper before fanning out to secure a new start line with one end of it on the coast near Cerences. This is a classic short and long hook or shallow and deep encirclement (however tou want to term it - but not infiltration theory).

Now to your map.

What do we see. We see exactly that. 3rd Armoured with CCB on the right enveloping Coutances and 2nd Armoured going straighter and then hooking towards the coast at Cerences.

What you have hopelessly misinterpreted as infiltration and exploitation of success, is actually a plan working, with 3rd Armoured taking Coutances (as planned) and trapping German forces between itself and the oncoming 4th and 6th Armoured and 2nd Armoured taking Cerences (as planned) and trapping forces between itself and 3rd Armoured. A short and a long hook.

In other words, the Americans didn't go around that German pocket you see as a red line of 28th july, somehow exploiting success and avoiding reinforcing failure, but created that pocket with their axis of advance which took its objectives of Coutances to the north of the pocket and Cerences to the South.

Note that the Americans get above and below the pocket on 28th july (creating it), and then destroy it on 29th.

The only thing that didn't immediately happen with the plan was the full establishment of the required line by 2nd Armoured which took Cerances and St Denis le Gast and Villebaudon but didn't take the far end of the desired line at Tessay Sur Vire. However, note on your map that that's because the lead elements of 2 Panzer Divisions intervened on 27th and 28th and helped block that AXIS of advance.

You are looking at maps with only a fraction of the knowledge and understanding required to make sense of them.

quote:

Fourth, the exploitation of the breakthrough:

Not tonight, it is late and I'm losing the will to live but I'll review these tomorrow for completeness.

I did like this, though.

quote:

And, frankly, I shouldn’t even have had to post this. It was as obvious as the nose on your face.

You have just hopelessly mis-interpreted the D-day landings and Operation Cobra. I anticipate finding much else the same with your tinpot analysis of the exploitation tomorrow, but suffice to say, you simply do not understand what you are looking at. You have seen what happened, and assumed there was no planning beforehand.

How can you possibly measure infiltration principles and reinforcing success but not failure () without understanding what the plan was? How can you test whether a unit deviated for infiltration reasons without knowing where it should have been in the first place? If it ends up where it planned to, it can't have changed its orders, can it?

Your most telling piece of nonsense is this. You have seen where units ended up, looked at those positions on maps and decided that the direction of the advances was governed by least resistance. You have decided that the pockets were where the Germans were strong and the Americans bypassed these strongpoints travelling where the Germans were weak thus surrounding the German strong areas and creating the pockets.

In fact, (and you never seem to have considered this rather surprisingly) the Americans chose where to attack and created the pockets with their advance. This really is as obvious as your nose. In Russia, the same principles applied with the Germans creating huge pockets by encirclement. These weren't ad hoc though. AGC's PanzerGruppe met at Minsk and Smolensk as planned, not at Minsk and Smolensk because that's where the path of least resistance magically led them both.

You're wrong, period. I'd also appeal to you to give it up on the grounds that this thread is well over 2500 hits. The longer you take to admit defeat, the more laughable and hopelessly clueless analysis of Military operations you produce, the more embarrassing it gets. Let it go.

The real conclusion is that we either accept that units follow orders, or we assume that the path of least resistance and the principles of exploting success always (rather magically, amazingly and completely implausibly) left units in the areas the plan said they should be, and travelling in the directions the plan said they should be.

What say ye, Occam...?

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

IronDuke

< Message edited by IronDuke -- 11/2/2007 4:30:08 AM >

Post #: 302
RE: Defending a river line - 11/2/2007 6:59:01 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones
I call out Mr. Cross to name the WEGO system(s) he has played and provide examples to support his contention that WEGO results in movement of “mindless robots”.

All WEGO Systems deny any human intervention once the plots begin execution. That's mindless. Even Iron Duke doesn't deny it. Rather, his contention is that real units really were mindless!

Your response to my challenge is nothing more than an attempt to mask the fact that you have no answer. The best you can do is paraphrase former postings, i.e. "All WEGO Systems deny any human intervention once the plots begin execution. That's mindless."

This weak response does not answer my original question; Name the WEGO system(s) you have played and provide examples to support your contention that WEGO results in movement of “mindless robots”.

My question remains, what WEGO game(s) have you played, played for what duration and played so you can make the assertion that WEGO games have this “mindless” quality?

You have provided none of the data required to support your position. All you have done is quote your previously unsupported acquisitions. I see your arguments as absurd and totally unsupported.

Since you have refused to answer my challenge, or offer explanation of your “mindless robot” hypothesis, the surmise is that you have one or more of the following problems: no experience with WEGO game system, no practical knowledge of military maneuver or a personal hard on for the IGYO system.

Take your pick. You might look rather foolish and naive no matter which one you choose.

Regards, RhinoBones

Post #: 303
RE: Defending a river line - 11/2/2007 3:15:04 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

Starting from the point of view of IGOYG, I was thinking: how about a system where the proportion of the turn consumed in each round is determined not only by how much of the turn is eaten up by attacks but by how much units have moved?

We had something like this in Volume I. It exacerbated the problems with early turn ending. So now those reinforcements racing to the front can only tootle along a few miles. Some attack 200 miles away went awry and stopped them.

Anyway, why not just have shorter turns?

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 304
RE: Defending a river line - 11/2/2007 8:25:09 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

Anyway, why not just have shorter turns?

That's more or less what Jarek argues fairly cogently. I tend to see it as a good myself. A lot of the problems arise simply because people are trying to combine too detailed a scale with too long a span of time. You get your problems because you have average movement allowances of 57 MP's, and you've got these allowances because you're trying to have week-long turns at 5 km per hex.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 305
RE: Defending a river line - 11/3/2007 10:04:54 PM   
markoid

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronDuke

quote:

quote:

Trying to prove absolutes completely undermines your point, because in your desparate attempt to find some water (any water) that doesn't fit the general picture, you go down all sorts of weird roads.

My 'attempt' to find rivers that are militarily insignificant hasn't exactly been desperate: I named the Dyle as a relatively well-known example that is in fact militarily insignificant. In fact, I can quickly reel off several other rivers that would not be militarily significant at most OPART scales.

The Rio Grande -- at least the bit around Albuquerque.

The Southern Platte

The Gila

All fairly well-known, all are called 'rivers' -- and all have been put into at least one scenario. Now, let's get back to your statement that 'all rivers are militarily significant if properly defended.' I love that one.

What is so hard about this?

What you pictured was a stream. Therefore, it is not remotely part of the argument about rivers.

Nu? The Dyle is called a river. People put it into scenarios as a river. It's a river.

Where you're headed is to say that only rivers large enough to be significant military obstacles are rivers -- so all rivers are significant military obstacles.

Okay -- sure. However, we now find ourselves in the astonishing position of insisting the Rio Grande at Albuquerque is not a river. On the other hand, I remember some anonymous creek in Alabama. It had cut itself a nice, sheer cut about thirty feet deep. That, in military terms, most certainly was a river. You could argue that we should then line the banks with escarpment, etc -- but I find 'river' is a convenient shorthand for the whole situation.

The fact is that not all rivers are significant military obstacles. Moreover, this is not simply a function of their size. It also depends on how many little bridges and fords there are scattered up and down the banks, whether the river is in a deep canyon or not, how much cover is along the banks, and even what the doctrine and capabilities of the forces contesting the crossing are. Not all rivers are militarily significant obstacles.

Pedantic.

Post #: 306
RE: Defending a river line - 11/3/2007 11:40:50 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: markoid

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Trying to prove absolutes completely undermines your point, because in your desparate attempt to find some water (any water) that doesn't fit the general picture, you go down all sorts of weird roads.

My 'attempt' to find rivers that are militarily insignificant hasn't exactly been desperate: I named the Dyle as a relatively well-known example that is in fact militarily insignificant. In fact, I can quickly reel off several other rivers that would not be militarily significant at most OPART scales.

The Southern Platte

The Gila

All fairly well-known, all are called 'rivers' -- and all have been put into at least one scenario. Now, let's get back to your statement that 'all rivers are militarily significant if properly defended.' I love that one.

What you pictured was a stream. Therefore, it is not remotely part of the argument about rivers.

Nu? The Dyle is called a river. People put it into scenarios as a river. It's a river.

Where you're headed is to say that only rivers large enough to be significant military obstacles are rivers -- so all rivers are significant military obstacles.

Okay -- sure. However, we now find ourselves in the astonishing position of insisting the Rio Grande at Albuquerque is not a river. On the other hand, I remember some anonymous creek in Alabama. It had cut itself a nice, sheer cut about thirty feet deep. That, in military terms, most certainly was a river. You could argue that we should then line the banks with escarpment, etc -- but I find 'river' is a convenient shorthand for the whole situation.

The fact is that not all rivers are significant military obstacles. Moreover, this is not simply a function of their size. It also depends on how many little bridges and fords there are scattered up and down the banks, whether the river is in a deep canyon or not, how much cover is along the banks, and even what the doctrine and capabilities of the forces contesting the crossing are. Not all rivers are militarily significant obstacles.

Pedantic.

Hardly. People routinely put rivers in for bodies of water that I happen to know wouldn't be significant military obstacles -- not unless you're going to classify every properly-dug roadside ditch as a 'military obstacle.' Moreover, what makes a river militarily significant is not necessarily the flow of water. So how is the point pedantic?

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 11/3/2007 11:48:55 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to markoid)
Post #: 307
RE: Defending a river line - 11/4/2007 2:53:39 AM   
markoid

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Southern Platte

The Gila

Pedantic.

Hardly. People routinely put rivers in for bodies of water that I happen to know wouldn't be significant military obstacles -- not unless you're going to classify every properly-dug roadside ditch as a 'military obstacle.' Moreover, what makes a river militarily significant is not necessarily the flow of water. So how is the point pedantic?

Rivers are significant military obstacles. The point you are arguing that the statement is not inclusive of all known rivers, is a pedantic one.

You are being pedantic, live with it.

Post #: 308
RE: Defending a river line - 11/4/2007 10:25:48 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

Rivers are significant military obstacles. The point you are arguing that the statement is not inclusive of all known rivers, is a pedantic one.

He said pedantically. You might as well claim all investments are good investments -- and dismiss anyone who says anything to the contrary. The point I was arguing, actually, was the statement that all rivers are significant military obstacles. Lots -- lncluding some quite well-known ones -- are not.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to markoid)
Post #: 309
RE: Defending a river line - 11/4/2007 1:01:34 PM   
markoid

quote:

quote:

He said pedantically. You might as well claim all investments are good investments -- and dismiss anyone who says anything to the contrary. The point I was arguing, actually, was the statement that all rivers are significant military obstacles. Lots -- lncluding some quite well-known ones -- are not.

You certainly do your best to underline the fact you are pedantic. Well done. :)

Your whole argument is based on the word all. You are being pedantic. I have no issues with being pedantic to demonstrate you are pedantic. One only has to read a small selection of your posts to observe that you are indeed pedantic.

Post #: 310
RE: Defending a river line - 11/4/2007 9:25:23 PM   
Veers

quote:

quote:

quote:

You certainly do your best to underline the fact you are pedantic. Well done. :)

Your whole argument is based on the word all. You are being pedantic. I have no issues with being pedantic to demonstrate you are pedantic. One only has to read a small selection of your posts to observe that you are indeed pedantic.

...Wow...

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to markoid)
Post #: 311
RE: Defending a river line - 11/4/2007 9:53:49 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veers

quote:

quote:

quote:

...Wow...

A succinct rejoinder to pedantic redundancy. Time for another bag of Orville Redenbacher's...

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 312
RE: Defending a river line - 11/5/2007 2:15:58 AM   
vahauser

What I have learned from this thread:

1) Squeaky wheels should not always get the grease. 
IOW, thousands of people play TOAW.  Just because 1% of the player base squeeks louder than the other 99% doesn't mean that the 1% should be appeased just because they scream louder.  I, personally, prefer hexside rivers instead of in-hex rivers.  But since I can see both sides of the argument, I'm not going to yell real loud saying that hexside rivers MUST be implemented because they are so obviously "better".  Why not?  Because hexside rivers are NOT obviously "better" (or obviously "worse" for that matter).  And since I can't prove with 100% certainty that hexside rivers work better than in-hex rivers in the vast majority of cases, then I'm not going to yell for hexside rivers, even though I personally favor them.

2)  WEGO is not better than IGYG, and IGYG is not better than WEGO.
The state of computer wargaming has not advanced yet to the point where one implementation is obviously superior to the other.  Yet.  I personally think WEGO has more potential in the long run, but as of today (using today's programming methodologies and technologies), WEGO is not obviously superior to IGYG.  I also think that the "best" choice is to incorporate the most useful features of IGYG into a WEGO system.  A good example of the synthesis of IGYG/WEGO is to have each side given "Operational Reaction Points" (ORPs) to spend during each WEGO game turn.  These ORPs would represent the ability of each side to "react on the fly" to events unfolding during the WEGO game turn.  Each ORP a player expends would be used as an "interrupt" to the WEGO turn, thus "pausing" the action, as it were, and "changing the orders" of some of his units (based on the number of ORPs spent).  ORPs would be replenished kind of like supply and possibly assigned at the HQ level (which would allow only the HQ spending the ORP(s) to affect only the unit(s) under its command).  Anyway, all this yelling and pedantry about "my WEGO is better than your IGYG! Is not! Is too! Is not! Ad nauseum) is not serving any useful purpose.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 313
RE: Defending a river line - 11/5/2007 4:48:36 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Southern Platte

The Gila

Pedantic.

..no, accurate, if abreviated..

..i know rivers that are wide and apparently uncrossable except at bridges, but during the dry season you can wade across, if it rains in the hills however they'l take out any temporary crossing points, pontoons etc, with no problems , and have been known to down the odd bridge or three...

..one such is the Loire about one third in, just high enough to spare a semi-naked maiden's blushes in mid-summer, in winter...mmmm..

..then of course there's my local rivers, many are virtual dry gulches till it rains, then 2 ton rock-hurling torrents for half a day then back to ankle deep..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

(in reply to markoid)
Post #: 314
RE: Defending a river line - 11/5/2007 5:19:17 PM   
vahauser

If a scenario designer puts a river hex into his scenario, then by the scenario designer's definition that river hex is a significant military obstacle.

Should the scenario designer have put that river hex into his scenario?  That is the silly question you guys are arguing about.  Who cares?  The river hex is right there, in the scenario.  The scenario designer put it there, for whatever reason.  And it is a significant military obstacle because it is there.

And since that river hex is there, and since it is a significant military obstacle because it is there, then that is the reality that this thread derived its title from: Defending a River Line.

How did this thread get taken so far off-topic?

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 315
RE: Defending a river line - 11/5/2007 6:48:27 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: vahauser
Should the scenario designer have put that river hex into his scenario?  That is the silly question you guys are arguing about.  Who cares?

The designer.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 316
RE: Defending a river line - 11/5/2007 7:38:50 PM   
vahauser

golden delicious,

But this isn't a thread about to place or not to place a river hex into a scenario.  This is a thread about defending a river line that already exists in a scenario.  At least that's what the title of this thread led me to believe.

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 317
RE: Defending a river line - 11/5/2007 9:45:28 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

golden delicious,

But this isn't a thread about to place or not to place a river hex into a scenario. This is a thread about defending a river line that already exists in a scenario. At least that's what the title of this thread led me to believe.

Yeah -- buuut.

Since the discussion is about how rivers should be modelled -- hex-side, strong or weak defensive effect, etc -- what designers decide is a 'river' is certianly relevant. After all, if the 'river' doesn't exert any particular military effect at all, then it shouldn't have much effect. If 'rivers' are to be only the Amazon at flood, then the effect would be considerable.

What I suspect happens is that people just willy-nilly put in whatever rivers are shown on the atlas they happen to be looking at or whose name happened to figure prominently in the campaign in question. The Dyle, for example. Or the Rio Grande at Albuquerque. Or the Platte in Nebraska. Point is, if rivers are to have a significant effect, it's hardly accurate to include such streams in scenarios. Conversely, if rivers have no significant effect (as whoever that who writes those interminable posts attempted to claim at one point) then by all means stick 'em in. Won't matter.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 318
RE: Defending a river line - 11/6/2007 1:00:34 AM   
vahauser

Colin,

Point taken.  A personal case:  I've personally waded across the Rio Grande in Big Bend National Park in Texas (near El Paso), during the wet weather in spring (this was back in the days before illegals crossing the border had grown into an national epidemic).  There is a place near the Santa Elena Canyon where the water is shallow and the banks are gentle and firm underfoot.  Easy to wade across, a natural ford so to speak.

Anyway, carry on.

Post #: 319
RE: Defending a river line - 11/6/2007 11:50:32 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

What I suspect happens is that people just willy-nilly put in whatever rivers are shown on the atlas they happen to be looking at or whose name happened to figure prominently in the campaign in question. The Dyle, for example. Or the Rio Grande at Albuquerque. Or the Platte in Nebraska. Point is, if rivers are to have a significant effect, it's hardly accurate to include such streams in scenarios. Conversely, if rivers have no significant effect (as whoever that who writes those interminable posts attempted to claim at one point) then by all means stick 'em in. Won't matter.

One could introduce a third gradation of river which has either no or very little military value. Just looks nice on the map.

This would add an interesting psychological effect. If the Dyle's left off entirely, the Allied player is hardly going to co-operate by establishing himself in positions along it. But if it appears- even with a minimal value- he'll quite happily use it.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 320
RE: Defending a river line - 11/6/2007 3:13:55 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

If a scenario designer puts a river hex into his scenario, then by the scenario designer's definition that river hex is a significant military obstacle.

Should the scenario designer have put that river hex into his scenario?  That is the silly question you guys are arguing about.  Who cares?  The river hex is right there, in the scenario.  The scenario designer put it there, for whatever reason.  And it is a significant military obstacle because it is there.

And since that river hex is there, and since it is a significant military obstacle because it is there, then that is the reality that this thread derived its title from: Defending a River Line.

How did this thread get taken so far off-topic?

..not so sure, my personal feeling is a lot of rivers get stuck on the map for the same reason you get 3/II Telephone Sanitizer Company type units..to show how much research you've done..

..i'm doing a 2.5 k of Malaya 1941 at the moment, i'm putting in rivers that i know aren't great obstacles because i want to make off-road even less pleasant than jungle/other terrain alone makes it, they give a reason for the marshy bits, and add the numerous bridges on the few roads available. But this is 1941 in Asia, not 1940 in France where almost every river has become a stream there are so many bridges, or 1980 when bridging equipment makes most rivers streams..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 321
RE: Defending a river line - 11/6/2007 3:54:01 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

3/II Telephone Sanitizer Company

A vital component of the OOB. Without them the entire army might be wiped out by a disease that started in a phone booth.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 322
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 9 10 [11]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> RE: Defending a river line Page: <<   < prev  7 8 9 10 [11]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI