Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: So whats your log-in all about?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: So whats your log-in all about? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 10/5/2007 5:38:36 AM   
hvymtl13

Wow my bad man. Guess after 20+ years I really did lose track of one of my Squadron numbers. Was in a few. I was in VP-40 Stationed in San Jose Ca. at Moffett Field, Flying P3 Charlie updates. Not a bad place really. Huge hangers from the Blimp days. Alaska, Japan, and PI. Yokuska and another base, trying to recall the name. I'll think of it right after I press the post button.  Wow now trying to think of stuff remember all sorts of things. XO was Cdr. Branch, can't remember my CO though. He was kinda weird anyways.
AHA it was Misawa! (spelling?) Took me a couple minutes to remember that too.
Well anyway it all sounds fishy lol but an honest mistake.  

Edit: I looked up VP-40's page and it has some info on when i was in.

In July 1979, Patrol Squadron FORTY once again deployed a three plane, four-crew detachment to Adak, Alaska for a period of five months. (That was me)

From July 1980 to December 1983, the "Fighting Marlins" completed a serious of three highly successful six-month deployments to NAF Misawa(me), Japan conducting operations throughout the Pacific and Indian Oceans and the Arabian Sea. In addition, personnel were detached to bases in Africa, the Middle East, Thailand, Australia, and Diego Garcia. During this period, VP-40 received the coveted COMPATWINGSPAC "Golden Orion" Award for Retention Excellence for both 1981 and 1982, as well as the CNO Aviation Safety Award for 1982.

< Message edited by hvymtl13 -- 10/5/2007 6:18:10 AM >

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 151
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 10/5/2007 1:34:17 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: hvymtl13

Wow my bad man. Guess after 20+ years I really did lose track of one of my Squadron numbers. Was in a few. I was in VP-40 Stationed in San Jose Ca. at Moffett Field, Flying P3 Charlie updates. Not a bad place really. Huge hangers from the Blimp days. Alaska, Japan, and PI. Yokuska and another base, trying to recall the name. I'll think of it right after I press the post button.  Wow now trying to think of stuff remember all sorts of things. XO was Cdr. Branch, can't remember my CO though. He was kinda weird anyways.
AHA it was Misawa! (spelling?) Took me a couple minutes to remember that too.
Well anyway it all sounds fishy lol but an honest mistake.  

Edit: I looked up VP-40's page and it has some info on when i was in.

In July 1979, Patrol Squadron FORTY once again deployed a three plane, four-crew detachment to Adak, Alaska for a period of five months. (That was me)

From July 1980 to December 1983, the "Fighting Marlins" completed a serious of three highly successful six-month deployments to NAF Misawa(me), Japan conducting operations throughout the Pacific and Indian Oceans and the Arabian Sea. In addition, personnel were detached to bases in Africa, the Middle East, Thailand, Australia, and Diego Garcia. During this period, VP-40 received the coveted COMPATWINGSPAC "Golden Orion" Award for Retention Excellence for both 1981 and 1982, as well as the CNO Aviation Safety Award for 1982.

Wow! We (us?) VP- types (or VP-"pukes" according to our VF and VA brethern) really seem to get around! What was your "seat"?

(in reply to hvymtl13)
Post #: 152
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 10/5/2007 2:35:04 PM   
hvymtl13

Actually I only flew a couple of times in the P3. I was a yellow shirt - ABH. It was pretty cool stuff. I remember we loaded "special weapons" at some point, and I was the one they wanted to tow them out of the hanger. I believe I was 18 at the time. Joined at 17.. That was right after Eagle claw went bad in Iran. So I towed them, spotted them, launched and recovered them. I remember I was relieved to see they were still on the wings when they recovered. It was an intense time to be in the military. Things got so close so many times to going bad in a big way. I was the only yellow shirt in Adak in that article. I literally lived in the hanger. Constant ready alert, the ready 5 plane was my room mate.
Sorry to go on. haven't thought of that stuff in years. How about you man? What did they have you doing?

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 153
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 10/5/2007 2:47:47 PM   
AW1Steve

So you must have been involved in the infamous "P-3 Jamboree". I was a "dub" , flying sensor three. Could not seem to get west coast orders , always east coast or Europe. I hear you about towing planes. While other New AW's went to the galley or the bouy locker when they first got to the squadrons , they sent me to the line. Winter in New England...not fun. I even was assigned to a special load team... till we dropped a "shape" in front of the skipper. Not that I wanted that particular collateral duty , but it was embarrasing for the "professionals" (orndancemen and such).
quote:

ORIGINAL: hvymtl13

Actually I only flew a couple of times in the P3. I was a yellow shirt - ABH. It was pretty cool stuff. I remember we loaded "special weapons" at some point, and I was the one they wanted to tow them out of the hanger. I believe I was 18 at the time. Joined at 17.. That was right after Eagle claw went bad in Iran. So I towed them, spotted them, launched and recovered them. I remember I was relieved to see they were still on the wings when they recovered. It was an intense time to be in the military. Things got so close so many times to going bad in a big way. I was the only yellow shirt in Adak in that article. I literally lived in the hanger. Constant ready alert, the ready 5 plane was my room mate.
Sorry to go on. haven't thought of that stuff in years. How about you man? What did they have you doing?

(in reply to hvymtl13)
Post #: 154
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 10/5/2007 9:58:32 PM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez

quote:

During the deployment we made a mini-det to Suda Bay Crete.

A fellow Jax VPer!

Remind me to tell you a story some day about Souda Bay, the Scorpio bar in Xania and a certain international incident...

Chez

Okay, tell me about about Souda Bay, the Scorpio bar in Xania and a certain international incident...

This is a "no sh!t" tale, not to be confused with sea stories.

I was stationed in Rota and every few months we would send out a detachment to man up the Souda Bay "Ops Center" (if you could call a semi-trailer an ops center).

We had been there about 2 weeks and were flying pretty heavily keeping track of the Kiev and her consorts. We finally got a break when she anchored in Kithra.

Anyways, we decided to go out into town for a few beers. We had been briefed previously that anti-American sentiment was a little bit higher because of our presence and to be extra careful when out in town.

We had an AWC from the squadron by the name of Leo Davis who was a pretty good guy to party with. He, I and two others went into Xania and did a little bar-hopping, ending up in this place called the Scorpio bar. It was a pretty nice hole-in-the-wall bar and there were some nice looking ladies so we just had to check it out. We ended up having several beers and Leo had been eyeing this girl sitting at the bar. She didn't seem to be with anyone though there was a guy sitting next to her. Leo decided to go up and talk to her. He sat down next to her and tried talking with her. She spoke only a few words of English so he wasn't making much head way when the guy next to her got up and cold-cocked Leo over the head with a bottle... (turns out the guy was her husband).

Anyways, we hopped up to come to his rescue but we got grabbed by several Greek guys who pinned us against the wall so that we couldn't help. By this time Leo had gotten up off the floor and was trying his best to defend himself while this guy just beat the ever-loving crap out of him. His wife is jumping up and down screaming something in Greek. Don't know if she was yelling "stop it" or "hit him again."

The husband finally yelled something and several Greeks came over and grabbed Leo and began dragging him out the door. Once they got Leo out the door, the other Greeks let us go and were yelling at us to get out. We got outside just in time to see the others throw Leo over the seawall into the bay. We climbed down and got Leo out of the water but he was in bad shape. He had a broken jaw, a pretty good cut on the top of his head and several cracked ribs.

We tried getting a taxi back to the base but none would take us so we ended up calling the duty driver to come get us. Our corpsman took a look at Leo and said he needed a hospital so arrangements were made to fly him to Naples the next day.

About noon the next day, the OinC called everyone together, told us to close down shop and pack our bags... we were leaving immediately. Turns out the husband had filed assault charges against Leo and the local police wanted to arrest him! Needless to say we were gone by 1600. After we left, the Greek government demanded his extradition and filed an international incident when we refused.

The Greeks wouldn't let us go back there for nearly a year after that, not that I minded one little bit...

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 155
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 10/6/2007 1:36:47 AM   
Onime No Kyo

Heh, nice one.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 156
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 10/8/2007 12:17:29 AM   
hvymtl13

Haha chez was VP 40 Fighting Marlins too! amazing. And I was saying San Jose and it was actually Mountain View. I saw it on ur sig text. :) But it was a long time back. Heh chez you made your way around huh? Looks like we just missed each other in VP40.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 157
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 10/11/2007 4:31:01 AM   
AW1Steve

So what about the rest of you? I know your'e out there! No hiding! Tell us about your log-on , your avatar or just a little about yourself. Don't be shy, we want to hear your stories....and that includes us newer guys too. 

(in reply to hvymtl13)
Post #: 158
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 10/11/2007 6:13:27 AM   
1EyedJacks

Anyone up for a polite game of cards? <laughter> I once won a pink slip to a 1957 Plymouth Belvedere with a pair of aces and two one-eyed Jacks. The guy's name was SSG Rudolph Semore and he was some put out over losing to a "Gawd Damned punk-ass PF-f*king-C." So I was nicked with "Jacks" by my platoon.

Anyway - I've always been fond of one-eyed jacks and suicide kings it makes the game interesting.

TTFN,

Mike

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 159
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 10/11/2007 6:20:08 AM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1EyedJacks

Anyone up for a polite game of cards? <laughter> I once won a pink slip to a 1957 Plymouth Belvedere with a pair of aces and two one-eyed Jacks. The guy's name was SSG Rudolph Semore and he was some put out over losing to a "Gawd Damned punk-ass PF-f*king-C." So I was nicked with "Jacks" by my platoon.

Anyway - I've always been fond of one-eyed jacks and suicide kings it makes the game interesting.

My Gawd! tell me it wasn't a 426" Hemi Belvedare! Those are worth some buck$!

(in reply to 1EyedJacks)
Post #: 160
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 10/11/2007 7:26:13 AM   
1EyedJacks

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1EyedJacks

My Gawd! tell me it wasn't a 426" Hemi Belvedare! Those are worth some buck$!

<Laughter> Nope - a 4 door sedan. It was still a fun ride and the car was in pretty good condition. I slapped in some chrome fluff under the hood, re-did the interior, and put in a killer Kenwood tape deck with an amplifier and 8 speakers... I kept her for about 18 months and then traded her straight-up for a 1978 4X4 Toyota Land Cruiser with an electric winch on the front and a PTO conversion kit. Talk about a sweet off road vehicle - me and my toy could go almost anywhere. It's amazing what you can do with a winch and an anchor...

TTFN,

Mike

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 161
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 10/11/2007 8:06:41 AM   
afspret

Retired US Air Force Security Police.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 162
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 11/13/2007 4:15:37 AM   
AW1Steve

I am shocked , shocked and appalled! It's come to my attention that some of you newbies haven't told us about yourselves! And some of you oldsters haven't explained avatars, sig lines etc. Don't be shy , this is the thread where we get to know you. And if you don't tell us I'm going  to keep reserecting this thread until you do!!! If you want this thread to die a natural death , fess up.   Or else!   

(in reply to afspret)
Post #: 163
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 11/13/2007 4:28:12 AM   
wdolson

I just changed the sig on mine because I went back to the Evergreen Museum with a better camera.  Among other things, they have the only Curtiss Demon in existence.  The Spruce Goose is in the background of both pictures.  That thing is so big there is a titan missile, an SR-71, and several other jets all parked under one wing with room to spare.

BTW Steve, my when my SO started her law practice, I suggested the motto should be "carpe dime".

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 164
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 11/13/2007 4:52:31 AM   
histgamer

My name is Flanigan and flanyboy was a nickname my sis made up for me so there ya go... My password is more historical and related to someone I truely admire as a historian but I supose you will all have to guess at that.

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 165
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 11/13/2007 7:15:18 AM   
bradfordkay

Geez... Bradford is my middle name and Kay is my last name. I go by Brad, but apparently I used the login bradkay here at Matrix ages ago under an earlier ISP and couldn't use it again.

I use my name in hopes that some of my high school or college gaming chums might see it and contact me. No joy after all these years (where ARE you, Upper?).

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 166
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 11/13/2007 7:23:51 AM   
TOMLABEL

Well, I made it up on the spur-of-the-moment when I was sending stuff to Rogue's site for the first time. I hadn't registered on the forum yet, but he needed a name to post it under. It's a combo of my middle and last name - Thomas LaBelle.

Gosh, it's hard to believe that it was almost 2 years ago! Where has the time gone? See what this game has done?!

TOMLABEL

< Message edited by TOMLABEL -- 11/13/2007 7:25:42 AM >

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

Post #: 167
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 11/13/2007 7:25:07 AM   
Mynok

A mynock is a space parasite from Star Wars. Figured no one else would want that handle.

The truth is I'm from Mars and was ensnared by a female earthling. Now I work for the Martian foreign service monitoring implants. When strange thoughts happen in your brain......that's us!

Post #: 168
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 11/13/2007 1:48:06 PM   
AW1Steve

Did she take your advice? Our crew motto stems from the tradition that Navy Patrol plane crews use to go to places where they received MAXIMUM per diem and were FORCED to do things like stay in hotels. Obviously Navy squadrons who go to ships , don't get much per diem. As a result , other type Navy squadrons would refer to P-3's as "Cadillac duty". It became a regular punch-line. When my crew did an exercise at the "Top-gun " school at Mirramar in the late 80's , we were feeling intimidated by all these hotshots in their F-14's , F-18's and F-5's , and we had our slow moving propellor driven sky-pig. The patrol plane commander broke the feeling by saying , "They may have TOP-GUN , but we've got PER DIEM CHECK , and you don't get good Per diem on the boat". We all felt better after that and adopted the motto.
quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I just changed the sig on mine because I went back to the Evergreen Museum with a better camera.  Among other things, they have the only Curtiss Demon in existence.  The Spruce Goose is in the background of both pictures.  That thing is so big there is a titan missile, an SR-71, and several other jets all parked under one wing with room to spare.

BTW Steve, my when my SO started her law practice, I suggested the motto should be "carpe dime".

Bill

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 169
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 11/13/2007 2:24:14 PM   
wdolson

quote:

Did she take your advice? Our crew motto stems from the tradition that Navy Patrol plane crews use to go to places where they received MAXIMUM per diem and were FORCED to do things like stay in hotels. Obviously Navy squadrons who go to ships , don't get much per diem. As a result , other type Navy squadrons would refer to P-3's as "Cadillac duty". It became a regular punch-line. When my crew did an exercise at the "Top-gun " school at Mirramar in the late 80's , we were feeling intimidated by all these hotshots in their F-14's , F-18's and F-5's , and we had our slow moving propellor driven sky-pig. The patrol plane commander broke the feeling by saying , "They may have TOP-GUN , but we've got PER DIEM CHECK , and you don't get good Per diem on the boat". We all felt better after that and adopted the motto.

Not completely. She was doing bankruptsies when the laws changed and that threw her practice into a tailspin for a while. The new bankruptsy law passed two years ago is one of the worst pieces of legistlation congress has ever passed. It contradicted itself right and left and in at least one place lawyers would need to violate their own code of ethics to be compliant with the law. After two years of being in court, the worst written bits have either been thrown out or modified to make sense, so she's getting back into it.

What she's concentrating on now is going after creditors who are violating the law. It happens a lot after a bankruptsy, but also happens at other times. The law is very specific about the behavior of collection agencies and how certain debts are supposed to be worded when completed in a credit report. Few lawyers are doing it and the problems are chronic. When she gets spun up doing that, she might start carping a few dimes. We're hoping 2008 will be a better year financially than the last few years have been.

When I worked across the street from Boeing Field, I used to see the Navy P-3s doing touches and goes. I'd see them several times a month. Boeing Field is one of the few civilian airports in the country that is large enough to operate just about any aircraft, but doesn't have scheduled passenger service. That makes it a good place to fly into for training and the military uses it for that purpose.

The military planes were more interesting than the sea of Boeing jets coming and going from flight test. About the only thing interesting about them is seeing some airline liveries that you wouldn't see anywhere else in the US.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 170
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 11/13/2007 2:37:28 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

Not completely. She was doing bankruptsies when the laws changed and that threw her practice into a tailspin for a while. The new bankruptsy law passed two years ago is one of the worst pieces of legistlation congress has ever passed. It contradicted itself right and left and in at least one place lawyers would need to violate their own code of ethics to be compliant with the law. After two years of being in court, the worst written bits have either been thrown out or modified to make sense, so she's getting back into it.

What she's concentrating on now is going after creditors who are violating the law. It happens a lot after a bankruptsy, but also happens at other times. The law is very specific about the behavior of collection agencies and how certain debts are supposed to be worded when completed in a credit report. Few lawyers are doing it and the problems are chronic. When she gets spun up doing that, she might start carping a few dimes. We're hoping 2008 will be a better year financially than the last few years have been.

When I worked across the street from Boeing Field, I used to see the Navy P-3s doing touches and goes. I'd see them several times a month. Boeing Field is one of the few civilian airports in the country that is large enough to operate just about any aircraft, but doesn't have scheduled passenger service. That makes it a good place to fly into for training and the military uses it for that purpose.

The military planes were more interesting than the sea of Boeing jets coming and going from flight test. About the only thing interesting about them is seeing some airline liveries that you wouldn't see anywhere else in the US.

Bill

You forgot the greatest part of Boeing Field , the museum of flight! What an incredible place!When I moved to Bremmerton a little over two years ago , the first thing I did was become a member. That museum is second only to Air in Space. (In my humble opion). But I know what you mean about exotic paint jobs. You never knew what you would see there.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 171
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 11/13/2007 8:39:13 PM   
Dino

Once upon a time I was a goalie in a football (soccer) game...someone dubbed me Dino (Zoff), and it stuck.

As for the sig, I got that as a bribe in a voting process ...and it wouldn't be right dispose of a gift.

Besides, I really like it...

< Message edited by Dino -- 11/13/2007 8:42:54 PM >

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 172
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 11/13/2007 8:42:09 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dino

Once upon a time I was a goalie in a football (soccer) game...someone dubbed me Dino (Zoff), and it stuck.

Why did they dub you Dino??

(in reply to Dino)
Post #: 173
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 11/13/2007 8:45:49 PM   
Dino

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

Dino Zoff

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 174
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 11/13/2007 8:48:37 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dino Zoff

Awk! i thought Dino was translated into Serbian as "Zoff" ...

(in reply to Dino)
Post #: 175
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 11/14/2007 1:45:00 AM   
RUPD3658

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dino Zoff

And all this time I thought it wa because of this guy:

Attachment (1)

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to Dino)
Post #: 176
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 11/14/2007 2:08:09 AM   
tsimmonds

quote:

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dino Zoff

And all this time I thought it wa because of this guy:

That's the only Dino I ever knew.

"Dino is my dinosaur; his head's in the kitchen, his tail's out the door!"

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 177
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 11/14/2007 4:17:33 AM   
RUPD3658

I frequently reference Dino (the purple one) when teaching pursuit tactics to recruits. I stress trying not to sound like Dino when talking on the radio: "Bowrowrowrowrow!"

< Message edited by RUPD3658 -- 11/14/2007 4:18:19 AM >

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 178
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 11/14/2007 4:19:55 AM   
tsimmonds

Funny, when I made my post earlier, I was wondering how to spell that.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 179
RE: So whats your log-in all about? - 11/14/2007 4:23:58 AM   
RUPD3658

I have a .wav file in in my powerpoint presentaion.

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: So whats your log-in all about? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI