Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/21/2007 4:28:13 AM   
marcusm

I mean a proper sequel.

Granted that he will remain a while in the Naval combat fold but after that.
Has he clearly stated that there will never be any sequels?

Just curious. I think TOAW is the best wargaming system ever and it can only be improved upon.

Post #: 1
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/21/2007 6:01:53 AM   
Veers

I think Ralph and James plan a TOAW IV already.

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 2
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/21/2007 6:04:50 AM   
marcusm

Is Norm Koger involved in that?

If not, has he hinted what he plans to do after the naval games.

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 3
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/21/2007 9:03:57 AM   
L`zard

Sorry, marcusm;

Norm is gone from Toaw, the king is dead.........

Long live the King!

Long Life to King Ralph! Huzzah!

Viva la Toad!

"I have the brain of a genius, and the heart of a little child! I keep them in a jar under my bed."

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 4
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/21/2007 9:13:22 AM   
JAMiAM

Norm has left the building.

Just over two years ago, in this thread over at Gamesquad (then WarfareHQ), Norm passed the reins over to Matrix, and washed his hands of TOAW. His work on 1.07, which was turned over to us, was Norm's swan song, with respect to TOAW.

(in reply to L`zard)
Post #: 5
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/21/2007 3:57:10 PM   
marcusm

Ah. Good to hear that he's still active. Naval combat was never my thing but I think
it's great that he tries new wargame types.

Anyone heard anything more about "Project Ivan"?

I will of course buy TOAW4 when it comes out btw.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 6
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/21/2007 4:53:42 PM   
Monkeys Brain

quote:

ORIGINAL: marcusm

I mean a proper sequel.

Just curious. I think TOAW is the best wargaming system ever and it can only be improved upon.

Norm Koger is doing some sort of a TOAW in 3D, working name IVAN.

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 7
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/21/2007 5:16:02 PM   
marcusm

Maybe an update on Red Thunder? We can only hope.
Fictional WP vs NATO is far more interesting modern combat than any desert crap.

(in reply to Monkeys Brain)
Post #: 8
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/21/2007 6:45:16 PM   
Terminus

quote:

I mean a proper sequel.

Erm, just a question: If TOAW is the "best wargaming system ever", how would it be possible to improve upon it?

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 9
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/21/2007 7:02:58 PM   
marcusm

Obivously to make it even better. It's like a BMW, being the
best car doesn't stop them from developing new models every eyar.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 10
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/21/2007 7:25:02 PM   
Terminus

And they get steadily worse and worse. I say leave TOAW the hell alone.

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 11
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/21/2007 8:56:00 PM   
Veers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Unortunately, TOAW, while being the best wargame ever, has serious flaws and could use the improvement. I certainyl hope Ralph, James, and company don't "leave (it) the hell alone".

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 12
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/21/2007 9:19:49 PM   
Jeff Norton

Gosh, thanks for your glittering nuggets of insight....

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 13
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/21/2007 9:35:23 PM   
macgregor

quote:

Go back to your TOAW 1 and leave us alone then! You've got the TOAW you want.If you're happy with it then why are you even here? If that's the case, let's just stop developing new wargames altogether. We'll all just buy WitP. Who needs those other scenarios anyway. Give me a break! TOAW is the only wargame with ability to morph into representing any conflict. All I want is for the frickin naval combat to be represented in a playable fashion. Is that too frickin much?? For years the answer has been a resounding yes. TOAW is a land game, is like saying the earth is flat.

< Message edited by macgregor -- 12/21/2007 9:49:18 PM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 14
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/21/2007 10:30:06 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: macgregor

quote:

Go back to your TOAW 1 and leave us alone then! You've got the TOAW you want.If you're happy with it then why are you even here? If that's the case, let's just stop developing new wargames altogether. We'll all just buy WitP. Who needs those other scenarios anyway. Give me a break! TOAW is the only wargame with ability to morph into representing any conflict. All I want is for the frickin naval combat to be represented in a playable fashion. Is that too frickin much?? For years the answer has been a resounding yes. TOAW is a land game, is like saying the earth is flat.

Maybe you should take a chill pill. I have played TOAW from day one, up to and including the current Matrix-published version. I see no reason to tamper anymore with it.

SO SHUT THE F*CK UP!

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 15
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/21/2007 10:44:14 PM   
Jeff Norton

Practice what you preach - that 24pt tantrum is sooo intellectual....

-Jeff
Veritas Vos Liberabit
"Hate America - love their movies" -Foos Babaganoosh - Anchor - Jihad Tonite

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 16
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/21/2007 11:00:46 PM   
macgregor

Wait a minute. You bought the Matrix version after being satisfied with TOAW 1 from "day 1"? (which it seems you're using to justify acting like a complete imbecile?)Only to find the versions getting successively worse? I'm confused, at what point do these versions get worse? Or were you an imbecile to continue buying them.

< Message edited by macgregor -- 12/21/2007 11:04:33 PM >

(in reply to Jeff Norton)
Post #: 17
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/21/2007 11:26:59 PM   
marcinj.2008

May the Spirit of Christmas bring you Peace,
The Gladness of Christmas give you hope
The Warmth of Christmas grant you Love

MJ

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 18
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/21/2007 11:50:10 PM   
marcusm

Well on the bright side, this forum was a tad too quiet ;).

Best wargame should have the most active forum imho. I concider the break between 2 and 3
a break nothing more. As long as Matrixgames supports this game I will have it on my hd(s).

(in reply to marcinj.2008)
Post #: 19
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/22/2007 4:07:17 AM   
sPzAbt653

I think the Earth is flat, and the oceans were put there to make us think we can sail around it (if the sea monsters don't get us).

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 20
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/22/2007 11:35:15 PM   
DeadInThrench

You should be BANNED PERMANENTLY for that last post.... which I will not quote.

DiT

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 21
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/25/2007 12:55:10 PM   
L`zard

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

I think the Earth is flat, and the oceans were put there to make us think we can sail around it (if the sea monsters don't get us).

Ah, subjective reality!

How many of you can prove to me that Your really alive and not an AI..........wonderful sPz, just wonderful.........

Merry Xmas, all you pixel-bstds!

"I have the brain of a genius, and the heart of a little child! I keep them in a jar under my bed."

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 22
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/25/2007 11:16:45 PM   
Monkeys Brain

quote:

ORIGINAL: L`zard

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Ah, subjective reality!

How many of you can prove to me that Your really alive and not an AI..........wonderful sPz, just wonderful.........

Merry Xmas, all you pixel-bstds!

Merry Xmas L'zard!

From Bloodstar aka Monkeys Brain as well hehe

(in reply to L`zard)
Post #: 23
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/26/2007 3:38:52 AM   
ralphtricky

quote:

quote:

I mean a proper sequel.

Erm, just a question: If TOAW is the "best wargaming system ever", how would it be possible to improve upon it?

First, check the wishlist posted, there are some excellent ideas there.

Off the top of my head, no promises implied here, we're still defining it, this is more of a 'vision' statement...

To summarize, that would be a game that has a 21st century interface (3D where it makes sense) instead of a DOS interface, is much more beginner friendly, will allow people to concentrate on the fundamentals instead of the details if they want, be more friendly to smaller games and larger games, and also encourage more social interaction. Oh, yes, it would also have to be more designer friendly, and have a more powerful event engine and Elmer would play better with less guidance.

There's a bunch of other stuff, but that's the 'big picture' I have in my head.

A tall order, but we'll see how close I can come to that vision.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 24
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/26/2007 4:31:11 AM   
DeadInThrench

Just my opinion but....

Games that simulate conflicts where the commanders could essentially see the whole battlefield (like Gettysburg, Waterloo, etc) are best with figurines and 3D graphics, but games that simulate conflicts where the commanders were looking at maps, are best played on maps, in other words 2D graphics and unit counters like TOAW has now.

In other words, I have looked at the 3D graphics in TOAW and kinda neat but, I wouldn't consider actually playing the game with those.

To be honest, I was kinda surprised to see improved graphics mentioned. IMO the graphics are fine.... it's various details in the systems that exist now, and other things like the need for a production system, a better (but not overly complicated) naval system, things like a chain-of-command and the ability to re-assign units to other formations, etc, is where the opportunity is for a TOAW4 IMO.

Sheesh... I saw this happen with another Matrix project... Horse and Musket. The graphics and interface and the basic design are great, but the AI is horrible and the game systems need improvement. So, what are they gonna do?? Well, they are gonna improve the graphics (good grief). The fact that it may never see the light of day and if it does it ain't gonna sell.... seem to be minor points.

If all's Matrix can do is sponser graphics improvements, maybe they should stick to the XBOX and adventure game fields.

DiT

P.S. Sorry for being negative, but what can I say? Well, WE DON'T NEED ANY SIGNIFICANT GRAPHICS IMPROVEMENTS.

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 25
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/26/2007 6:11:59 AM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: DeadInThrench

Just my opinion but....

Games that simulate conflicts where the commanders could essentially see the whole battlefield (like Gettysburg, Waterloo, etc) are best with figurines and 3D graphics, but games that simulate conflicts where the commanders were looking at maps, are best played on maps, in other words 2D graphics and unit counters like TOAW has now.

In other words, I have looked at the 3D graphics in TOAW and kinda neat but, I wouldn't consider actually playing the game with those.

To be honest, I was kinda surprised to see improved graphics mentioned. IMO the graphics are fine.... it's various details in the systems that exist now, and other things like the need for a production system, a better (but not overly complicated) naval system, things like a chain-of-command and the ability to re-assign units to other formations, etc, is where the opportunity is for a TOAW4 IMO.

Sheesh... I saw this happen with another Matrix project... Horse and Musket. The graphics and interface and the basic design are great, but the AI is horrible and the game systems need improvement. So, what are they gonna do?? Well, they are gonna improve the graphics (good grief). The fact that it may never see the light of day and if it does it ain't gonna sell.... seem to be minor points.

If all's Matrix can do is sponser graphics improvements, maybe they should stick to the XBOX and adventure game fields.

DiT

P.S. Sorry for being negative, but what can I say? Well, WE DON'T NEED ANY SIGNIFICANT GRAPHICS IMPROVEMENTS.

Trust me, you do need the graphic improvement, you just don't know it.

When I'm talking about graphics, I'm also talking about the entire UI. The dialogs now are 1990's style, the entire experience is very out-dated. I'm not putting Norm down, he did a great job, but there are different standards with scroll-bars, draggable dialog boxes, dockable panels, etc. The whole thing was also built for 640x480. If you want a terrain effects panel, you should be able to dock it to the bottom, drag it to the side, that kind of thing. I think that some people would kill for a scrollbar on the event panel.

I'm not talking about a full 3D immersion like Combat Mission and a number of other games, I'm talking about making the icons vector graphics so they can be zoomed in and out all the way without losing fidelity. It's about being able to zoom in/out at any angle, and there may be some speed improvements by letting the graphics card do more work. If you want to play on the current flat map, that will definitely be possible, although the 'counters' will have depth even if you can't see it, if you want to play on one that has the elevations contoured slightly with icons, that's also possible, if you want to play in Panzer General/Steel Panthers mode, that will be possible too. If the cat jumps on the keyboard, the counters will bounce realistically off the floor. Someone else will be doing the icons and the models, so it won't detract much from what I'm doing.

BTW, I haven't ruled out XNA yet. There are a number of issues with it, so I'll probably go with something else, but I'm still looking into it. I mention it because using XNA, it's possible to develop a game that's used by the PC and the XBox 360 The biggest problems with the XBOX are fitting into a small screen, and how the heck you'd use the controllers to control the game??? I'll see where XNA is in a year or so, and how much XBOX 360 certification would cost. I definitely don't want to dumb down the game from where it is, although I do want to simplify the UI. The XBOX sounds attractive, although it probably won't happen.

Ralph

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to DeadInThrench)
Post #: 26
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/26/2007 5:57:10 PM   
marcusm

I like the part about opting to play without the detail(ie number of trucks etc).

I can't see the point of 3d stuff though. What TOAW needs, is to stick to clean boardgame graphics.
All the time spent in cool graphics could be better spent on better AI and optimizing for larger operations like FITE.

Post #: 27
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/26/2007 6:28:58 PM   
Karri

While 3d graphics are certainly not needed, some changes would indeed be good.The UI can be improved a lot...

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 28
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/26/2007 9:21:50 PM   
DeadInThrench

Ralph...

I have taken a look at the 3D interface a couple times and, cute, but I think the bottom line here is if the time and effort it took to put that in, was instead put into a better production model (well, a production model to start with), Matrix would probably be looking at at least 25% more sales and maybe 50% more TOAW activity in the forums.

Really, does ANYONE actually play TOAW with the 3D interface???

Sheesh... in Horse and Musket, they went down the road of a better.... continously zoomable... interface, and it is really nice! But, the AI took a major step backwards (and was horrible in PWM) and there is now only an effort to make token improvements to the game system while there is opportunity for major improvements (e.g. deployment, scenario options, etc), and if you look at the forums... deadsville.

And, like TOAW, HnM was once Wargame of the Year, and now look at it.

So, are you sure you want to go down that road, keying on graphics improvements rather than game system improvements??

Hmmm... and what's worse here, is a continously zoomable interface in TOAW, is absurd IMO. What's gonna happen to the numbers and letters on the counters? While a continously zoomable interface is the right stuff for games like HnM, for game on maps like TOAW, it is absurd.

Ug.... if Matrix' plan in games that they pick up the developement rights to, is just to make graphics improvements, well, sheesh, maybe I better stick with what I have or wait until the next 2x3 (or other outside developer) game comes out.

IMO it is a shame if a publisher picks up the rights to a game that was popular, and the people that really liked it are looking for improvements in the game that they really liked and, all's they get is.... graphics improvements (sheesh).

I am not denying that there can be improvements to the UI... I have suggested them myself... having the option to have the hex composition display in the upper right hand corner.. as well as other things. But, the ideas of zoomable, dockable, 3D, etc, IMO, are not what is really needed in a future TOAW, that is, if you want to game to sell.

DiT

P.S. IMO, the ability to jump to a given event would be a better improvement in the event's editor than a scrollbar. Remember we are talking about designers here, and they know what events they have in there and it's just a matter of getting to the one they want without having to step (or scroll). You have dialogs already for numerical input, so just add a button with this function and you will be fine.

Post #: 29
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 12/26/2007 11:15:25 PM   
macgregor

I could not agree with Deadinthrench more. Bottom line, if it's a free patch I'll take it. But if you want my money. I've waited long enough for some essential improvements. If this game continues in a different direction, then so am I.

< Message edited by macgregor -- 12/27/2007 7:52:52 AM >

(in reply to DeadInThrench)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI