Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/15/2008 6:26:49 PM   
Karri

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious
The AI, though has other advantages. It can track counters from turn to turn and remember their approximate combat factors even if they're not "spotted" on a turn. It can analyse rear area deployments over several turns to estimate the total force in the rear even when it is never all visible at once.

I doubt it has a definite advantage over humans.

quote:

The point is that it can handle each one of those million units just as well as it could handle each one of a hundred units. In the case of a human player, he can handle a hundred brilliantly but will not be able to cope with a million- or even two thousand.

I am not quite sure about that, it still lacks the operational 'finess'. I mean sure, it can order all units towards the objective, but handling different units to different objectives, is too much of a challenge.

quote:

You were talking about higher commands- not moving one part of a formation. Then the only consideration is co-operation levels, which are often unaffected anyway.

Well, it's not like the AI can actually move a division or anything from one objective track to another. HQ's or no HQ's.

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 121
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/15/2008 6:46:48 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karri

I doubt it has a definite advantage over humans.

The ability of the computer to remember data and collate it should give it a real edge, especially when it comes to intelligence. It could store the equipment of a unit received from a battle report and extrapolate it to estimate that unit's equipment the following turn.

quote:

I am not quite sure about that, it still lacks the operational 'finess'. I mean sure, it can order all units towards the objective, but handling different units to different objectives, is too much of a challenge.

My point is that once you've got an AI that can handle a medium sized scenario, the sky is essentially the limit. Whereas human players who are excellent in the former case will not be able to keep a grasp of the overall situation in the very large scenarios.

quote:

Well, it's not like the AI can actually move a division or anything from one objective track to another. HQ's or no HQ's.

Not at present, no. However in the future this should be a possibility.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 122
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/15/2008 11:26:46 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

Whereas human players . . . will not be able to keep a grasp of the overall situation in the very large scenarios.

You may want to rethink this statement. There is actually a very simple way to keep track of the general/strategic situation no matter how large the TOAW battlefield.

Regards, RhinoBones

Post #: 123
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/16/2008 1:40:22 AM   
SMK-at-work

quote:

quote:

They're not tied down. Take FitE. You can move a division across the map and it will perform exactly the same way with no other actions. If you design a force structure, you also have to provide a mechanism to allow units to transfer.

No, not actually. Supply, artillery support, etc. is reduced if the unit belongs to another formation. Providing a mechanism to allow unit transfers should be no big deal.

You could do that if yuo wanted, but IMO it's not justified in the least.

Does an infantryman care what corps he is in?

In WW1 Corps weer essentially "paper" formations and infantry divisions moved through them without any bother at all - I forget how many 100,000's Frenchmen and Germans served at Verdun....but all of them served in 4-5 corps on each side.

In FitE NKVD units are "non-co-operative" with regualr army ones....but in fact they were integrated within regular armies without any bother at all.

similarly in Advanced Tactics when you shift sub-units around they lose half their readiness.

IMO both models are wrong - there should be no penalty for shifting units between higher formations at teh operational level, other than the time it takes.

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 124
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/16/2008 10:22:33 AM   
Karri

Actually, if a division get's broken down(as in regiments being assigned to different formations), there should be a readiness loss to represent the unit being put back under one command...this naturally represents the 'time' it takes.

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 125
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/16/2008 10:44:58 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

You may want to rethink this statement. There is actually a very simple way to keep track of the general/strategic situation no matter how large the TOAW battlefield.

Relating the movements of individual units to the overall situation is extraordinarily difficult. You can do it- if you set aside twelve hours per turn.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 126
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/16/2008 10:25:15 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

Relating the movements of individual units to the overall situation is extraordinarily difficult. You can do it- if you set aside twelve hours per turn.

If you say so, but I don't understand why a smart kid like you can't find an easy way to keep track of your unit. Oops, I mean units!

Regards, RhinoBones

< Message edited by rhinobones -- 1/17/2008 4:26:22 AM >

Post #: 127
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/17/2008 3:35:32 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

If you say so, but I don't understand why a smart kid like you can't find an easy way to keep track of your unit. Oops, I mean units!

Presumably you're trying to obliquely insult me here, but I'm not going to worry about it.

It's not just me. Colin has made the same argument on a number of occasions- and I find that player strategy in the very large scenarios tends to be formulaic or even non-existant. You spend two hours working out your round one attacks. Then go to round two. What was it I was doing at the north end of the front again?

Now, one can make notes, keep an AAR etc. But all this takes time and concentration.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 128
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/17/2008 4:01:12 PM   
Karri

quote:

quote:

Presumably you're trying to obliquely insult me here, but I'm not going to worry about it.

It's not just me. Colin has made the same argument on a number of occasions- and I find that player strategy in the very large scenarios tends to be formulaic or even non-existant. You spend two hours working out your round one attacks. Then go to round two. What was it I was doing at the north end of the front again?

Now, one can make notes, keep an AAR etc. But all this takes time and concentration.

As a long time player of FitE, I disagree. I always have a clear strategy. It changes from turn to turn, but that's not caused because I wouldn't remember what I was doing, but what my opponent is doing. The "how the hell did I get here" I would rather rate as a rookie problem, caused by the fact that one doesn't have a clear stategy to begin with.

And no, doesn't take 12 hours. It takes me 1-2 hours to play a FitE turn, well apart from the starting turns of course.

Post #: 129
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/17/2008 6:47:50 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

As a long time player of FitE, I disagree. I always have a clear strategy. It changes from turn to turn, but that's not caused because I wouldn't remember what I was doing, but what my opponent is doing. The "how the hell did I get here" I would rather rate as a rookie problem, caused by the fact that one doesn't have a clear stategy to begin with.

And no, doesn't take 12 hours. It takes me 1-2 hours to play a FitE turn, well apart from the starting turns of course.

Are you really getting the most out of all of your units? I doubt it.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 130
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/17/2008 8:32:59 PM   
Karri

quote:

quote:

Are you really getting the most out of all of your units? I doubt it.

Well, actually probaply yes, but I reckon that wasn't the point...?

Post #: 131
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/17/2008 10:30:37 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

It's not just me. Colin has made the same argument . . .

First you said “overall situation”, then you added “individual units” to the overall situation and now you’re asking about “getting the most” out of the individual units . . . geeze kid, you keep moving the target all over the place. However, since neither you nor your buddy Collin can figure out an easier way to do things, I figure it must be a cultural perplexity endemic to TDG. Maybe you’re just trying too hard; not everyone seems to share your problem.

Regards, RhinoBones

Post #: 132
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/17/2008 10:32:22 PM   
vonPryz

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit
i'm suggesting more storage space, so Elmer has a decent memory for comparison. As you wrote above 1 big save is running at 800KB so 10 moves, his own and the player's is 16MB ish, then he needs somewhere to store his own provisional planning unless you want to wait for him to recalculate evry time you load, so that's some 20MB, then he needs space to try out the planning in theory during play, no idea there..

So I gather you are purposing something like the libraries chess programs use? Those contain most if not all variations about common opening strategies and countermeasures. It might work to some degree against humans: if one is often using certain tactic, the AI might recognize it and act accordingly.

quote:

the best iGo program was some 3.5 GB -- the "thinking" bit, the .exe if you really wanna get picky was some 150KB

Most of that data is made of well-known games and patterns. Still, go has way smaller decision space than TOAW or other wargames.

For any kind of AI, the binary size hardly matters. Algorithms usually fit into smallish space, but supporting data is the one taking lots of space. Then again, disk access is tremendously slow in retrospect to RAM, so any deep analysis requires quite a lot of memory.

quote:

It's still a y/n system, no maybe..

The obvious difference between wargame and most of the boardgames is that moves do not have fixed outcome. That is, the system is at least in some parts definitely "maybe" instead of "yes/no". In chess you can always capture opponent's piece - unless the move is illegal. It doesn't matter at all whether the capturer is a pawn, a bishop or even a queen - legal capturing move always leads to capture. Of course, sometimes capturing isn't too smart thing to do, but that is another a matter.

Wargame move outcomes are often more versatile. Can my 2nd armored regiment break the opposing mech infantry batallion in order to establish a bridgehead? It might succeed or it might not - there is no definite answer. Taking the strengths and supporting units into account, one might estimate that the chance for success is, say, 70%.

In the chess case it is relatively easy to calculate all the possible moves. The outcome is certain for each legal move, so multiple outcomes don't need to be worried about. Now what happens to the outcome calculation's branch that is trying to find out my next move after 2nd armor attacked? It has to create several branches for both success and failure. How much damage did the unit take in attack? In which direction did the enemy unit withdraw? Did we discover more units? How strong are those? Do they pose immediate risk to my unit or future threat to my units? All this makes the decision tree to grow a LOT, so min-max isn't the answer.

-P

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 133
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/17/2008 10:55:41 PM   
vonPryz

quote:

as to lack of information, so ? it's a handicap we all play under, why should Elmer be any different ?

That is true. However, chess, go and such games are games of complete information. Wargames are not. Most uninformed search algorithms tend to be VERY expensive in terms of computational complexity and in memory consumption. Breadth-first complexity is O(b^(d+1)). Obviously this calls for smarter approaches.

Your idea of having several layers of AI strategy for different purposes sounds like reasonable approach.

-P

Post #: 134
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/18/2008 11:50:03 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

quote:

..and what's the fascination of the phrase raise to the power of ? 20 formations or units or whatever is multiply by 20, not to the 20th power, which is a much smaller number, one that he can now handle ..

I'm sorry, but it is the power of. Let's say you have one piece you could move one hex. That's six possible locations. If you have two pieces, then since they'd move independently, but said the first one moves north, the second one can move any one of the six the first one moves northeast, the second one can still move anyone of the six, and so forth. That's six times six locations or six to the power of two locations.

Let's say a unit can move six hexes. The number of hexes that he can move to is six times six times PI or about a hundred hexes. Those two pieces have a possible 10,000 or so locations.

While it would be simple,keeping track in that way simply isn't possible.

Ralph

..for a unit i agree, but 20 units still only have the same decisions to make, 20 times, not to the power of..

..but Elmer already does that, on a unit by unit, detailed examination of the ground, and whilst comparing to the basic objectives he's given (minus some greek letter that represents the non-passable hexes, and another for the partially passable, and so on)..

..when you zoom out, the formations stop being units and become one thing, a blob, a crowd isn't individuals, it's a mass, and you handle it as such, you don't worry about the cells that compose it. Zoom out and minor terrain details become irrelevant, so accept the simplifications that the new view gives, give him a new map type at that level if need be, one that only shows formation level obstructions..

..zoom out again, corps level ? and again, the decisions are still the same as for a unit, the divs are now irrelevant, the corps is one counter, and the map is simpler again, the hexes cover more area, so the decison-making process is still no worse than for a unit, and that he already does..

..i like maps, i like map-making, as a farmer i use them a lot. Some are very detailed, in-close raised bed by raised bed focus, some are zoomed out for general planning, i can get them all on A4, but if i tried to make a general planning map at bed-by-bed / tree-by-tree focus, it'd need a whole wall, and then some..and be totally unusable, ..so i have several levels of zoom.

..The same applies in Toaw, if my basic unit counter is a corps (25k/hex)then the map is different to the basic unit btn map (2.5K/hex), it looks similar, but that's only because we use the same terrain markers, at 25k much of the terrain has disappeared, whole villages gone, small towns at village status, rivers vanish and so on. Elmer can play on any of these maps, his decisons are the same, just they cover more ground..

..yes, it may mean more work for the designer, maybe he'll have to draw the maps for Elmer, so ? the ODD makes that easier, maybe he'l have to do the OOB for each level, again so ? Maybe the ODD will be able to do the zoom out maps automatically one day soon, maybe a simple program can write the basic zoom-out OOBs. Maybe Elmer'l need 12 hours to do a deep-think move, so ?, and need GBs of temp storage, again so ? We got the machinery, let's use it, it's what it's there for..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 135
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/18/2008 12:39:30 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonPryz

quote:

i'm suggesting more storage space, so Elmer has a decent memory for comparison. As you wrote above 1 big save is running at 800KB so 10 moves, his own and the player's is 16MB ish, then he needs somewhere to store his own provisional planning unless you want to wait for him to recalculate evry time you load, so that's some 20MB, then he needs space to try out the planning in theory during play, no idea there..

So I gather you are purposing something like the libraries chess programs use? Those contain most if not all variations about common opening strategies and countermeasures. It might work to some degree against humans: if one is often using certain tactic, the AI might recognize it and act accordingly.

quote:

the best iGo program was some 3.5 GB -- the "thinking" bit, the .exe if you really wanna get picky was some 150KB

Most of that data is made of well-known games and patterns. Still, go has way smaller decision space than TOAW or other wargames.

For any kind of AI, the binary size hardly matters. Algorithms usually fit into smallish space, but supporting data is the one taking lots of space. Then again, disk access is tremendously slow in retrospect to RAM, so any deep analysis requires quite a lot of memory.

quote:

It's still a y/n system, no maybe..

The obvious difference between wargame and most of the boardgames is that moves do not have fixed outcome. That is, the system is at least in some parts definitely "maybe" instead of "yes/no". In chess you can always capture opponent's piece - unless the move is illegal. It doesn't matter at all whether the capturer is a pawn, a bishop or even a queen - legal capturing move always leads to capture. Of course, sometimes capturing isn't too smart thing to do, but that is another a matter.

Wargame move outcomes are often more versatile. Can my 2nd armored regiment break the opposing mech infantry batallion in order to establish a bridgehead? It might succeed or it might not - there is no definite answer. Taking the strengths and supporting units into account, one might estimate that the chance for success is, say, 70%.

In the chess case it is relatively easy to calculate all the possible moves. The outcome is certain for each legal move, so multiple outcomes don't need to be worried about. Now what happens to the outcome calculation's branch that is trying to find out my next move after 2nd armor attacked? It has to create several branches for both success and failure. How much damage did the unit take in attack? In which direction did the enemy unit withdraw? Did we discover more units? How strong are those? Do they pose immediate risk to my unit or future threat to my units? All this makes the decision tree to grow a LOT, so min-max isn't the answer.

-P

..but there are only ever a limited number of "legal" moves on a map, a btn without bridging equipment can't cross a major river, but go up a level and the div, as a single unit, that has a bridging unit as part of the zoom-out OOB can, no bridging unit and it can't either. A layered approach simplifies much..

..ok, combat, at best these can only be worked out on a best-case basis, as it is now, Elmer doesn't attack at bad odds unless forced by the formation orders, so the "legal" definitions already exist..

..new units appearing following an attack, how long do you want to give the AI to recalculate and compare with previous stored details, that's all. Are we playing speed-toaw, are you being penalised for taking more than 10 minutes to make a move ? No, then why should Elmer suffer ?

..now known patterns...yup, i agree, the iGo uses a lot of space for previous games, but iGo consists of a limited number of patterns? / moves ? / placings ?, as does a wargame, really. You can take your armoured div thru the Pripet marshes, but the chances are good you'l feed it on to open tank ground. The basic battle formations were codified in the 1700s, even tho they existed before then, refuse left/refuse tight/refuse center, advance right etc etc and in all truth, they're still used today (i can hear the screams now), form a square to repell cavalry, or box-defence is i think the modern term, and repel the NVA, same formation ; guns at the corners and center, kneeling and standing ranks of bayonet armed infantry, hordes of screaming Zulus crashing into the mine-fields and triggering the automatic computer-controlled weapons, ballista teams feverishly winding up the propulsion, legionaries lobbing pilums then womp as the Greek-fire pours from the A10s (whatever) onto the attacking Russian hordes..

..maybe we'll need some patterns, but there's some really good gamer's around who can draw those, or the designer can do it, and there's always the historical version, we can give Elmer patterns, scen by scen, we got the space, in spades, so please, let's use it....

..i'm 52, i've wargamed since i was 9-10 (ahhh, match-stick firing cannon, the easy days), i've dreamed of a machine that could play a decent, me-hammering game with no cheats since 1985, a major future for gaming is in a decent AI, we got the machinery, now let's get the thinking right, cos we got the machinery to do it...

(in reply to vonPryz)
Post #: 136
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/18/2008 12:46:07 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

Whereas human players . . . will not be able to keep a grasp of the overall situation in the very large scenarios.

Regards, RhinoBones

..yahh, it's called a strategic-view sub-program, click on the button or go control/ Z / F12..

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 137
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/18/2008 12:57:46 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

First you said “overall situation”, then you added “individual units” to the overall situation and now you’re asking about “getting the most” out of the individual units . . . geeze kid, you keep moving the target all over the place.

No, not at all really. My point is about getting the most out of individual units with regard to the overall situation. This has been my point all along.

quote:

However, since neither you nor your buddy Collin can figure out an easier way to do things, I figure it must be a cultural perplexity endemic to TDG. Maybe you’re just trying too hard; not everyone seems to share your problem.

I dunno. See the way most people play the large scenarios. It's striking how little relation their play in one sector has to another; making fruitless and costly assaults in one area while another successful sector is starved of reinforcements, etc.

I'm not really interested in discussing my own record as a player- but I'm prepared to go as far as to say I'm not incompetent.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 138
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/18/2008 3:14:04 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

as to lack of information, so ? it's a handicap we all play under, why should Elmer be any different ?

That is true. However, chess, go and such games are games of complete information. Wargames are not. Most uninformed search algorithms tend to be VERY expensive in terms of computational complexity and in memory consumption. Breadth-first complexity is O(b^(d+1)). Obviously this calls for smarter approaches.

Your idea of having several layers of AI strategy for different purposes sounds like reasonable approach.

-P

..sorry, why should Elmer have more information than we do ?, he goes for best guess, studies the results then recalculates, just as we do, and he sucks on the unexpected and whimpers, just as we do..

..just as in iGo or Chess, more comparisons can be added, he only needs an auto-response email to here built in to each scen, he'll get the help in future games if the player chooses to download the extra maps, if it's played a lot he'll become virtually unbeatable, if the player dls the totality of scen-models for that scen. This is a simple programming matter, do you allow Elmer to auto-improve, y/n ? on-line storage is hardly a problem, we got 24*7*52 internet, let's use it..

.. let's think now, not then..

(in reply to vonPryz)
Post #: 139
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/18/2008 4:02:19 PM   
a white rabbit

..after a brief pause to murder a coconut, and add the juice to some gin, all over crushed ice.....Malita Cocktail..mmmmmm..

..sliver of lime to taste..

..we can play on-line games, we can play pbem, we can play vs the AI, Matrix, can we please get some joined-up writing in all this ? You want the best game, so do i, it'll be nothing spectacular, short on flashing lights, heavy on thinking, but that's the way things go. Neither chess nor iGo are great on visuals, but they've been around a few years now..

..take a serious look at the future of a game with an AI that improves automatically most times it's played, "most" 'cos some won't take the auto-update per scen' option, "most" 'cos most will, a better AI, yahhh how good am i ? really ?..

..we all have the machinery and connections to the internet, and given the lack of screams, we're also ready to give up to 12 hours thinking time (optional length) and the computer space/ storage memory, and you have a game that'l do 6-hours to a month moves, a solid game, tried and tested...

..think "to be", not now, and really not 'then'..

..if you want a real challenge, then i'll bet i can get 'my' Tagak'o'l'o speaking valley turned into a working market garden before you produce  T-IV..you on ?..

Post #: 140
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/18/2008 6:04:29 PM   
vonPryz

quote:

why should Elmer have more information than we do ?

Unless cheating is desired, AI shouldn't have any more information than a human player in the same situation would have. However, in AI theory, "complete information" and "incomplete information" have special meanings. Complete means roughly that both players have all the information available. Incomplete means there are unknowns. Trivial examples are chess (you see all the pieces in game) and poker (you see only some of the cards in game). It should be obvious that games with perfect information are easier to play for computers. There are so much less possibilities that searching for optimal solutions is feasible. For incomplete information, something smarter is required.

Pattern matching might be useful, but there are limitations. Human brain is massively parallel and very good in such activities. You just have to take a glance on the game map in order to see whether a move makes sense. Usually it doesn't make any sense to move a HQ unit all alone next to enemy armor. You just see it immediately. Not so with AI. It has to do lots of work in order to decide that the move would be suicide for the HQ. Is it a trap or opportunity? How can you tell?

quote:

if it's played a lot he'll become virtually unbeatable, if the player dls the totality of scen-models for that scen.

Sure, if the human players are following the common patterns. Should they start doing something really unexpected moves, the library becomes no good until end of the game. Eventually it should improve, but unbeatable it won't be. The random chance still has quite an effect. If attack rolls are always poor, no matter the strategy, one cannot win.

-P

Post #: 141
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/18/2008 6:53:28 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

If attack rolls are always poor, no matter the strategy, one cannot win.

In TOAW, the sheer number of "rolls" made in the game is so vast that it the probability of having bad luck throughout the game is statistically insignificant.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to vonPryz)
Post #: 142
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/18/2008 8:40:04 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

why should Elmer have more information than we do ?

Unless cheating is desired, AI shouldn't have any more information than a human player in the same situation would have. However, in AI theory, "complete information" and "incomplete information" have special meanings. Complete means roughly that both players have all the information available. Incomplete means there are unknowns. Trivial examples are chess (you see all the pieces in game) and poker (you see only some of the cards in game). It should be obvious that games with perfect information are easier to play for computers. There are so much less possibilities that searching for optimal solutions is feasible. For incomplete information, something smarter is required.

Pattern matching might be useful, but there are limitations. Human brain is massively parallel and very good in such activities. You just have to take a glance on the game map in order to see whether a move makes sense. Usually it doesn't make any sense to move a HQ unit all alone next to enemy armor. You just see it immediately. Not so with AI. It has to do lots of work in order to decide that the move would be suicide for the HQ. Is it a trap or opportunity? How can you tell?

quote:

if it's played a lot he'll become virtually unbeatable, if the player dls the totality of scen-models for that scen.

Sure, if the human players are following the common patterns. Should they start doing something really unexpected moves, the library becomes no good until end of the game. Eventually it should improve, but unbeatable it won't be. The random chance still has quite an effect. If attack rolls are always poor, no matter the strategy, one cannot win.

-P

...sorry, maybe i missed yr point, the computer has to do more work than we do ? to match patterns..

..come on, no but really, come on, we all match patterns, more or less the same, a computer may be slower having a silicon and not an organic "brain", but we all need the patterns to match with, otherwise, no thought, an experienced player has more patterns, an experienced computer has more patterns, is all...

..and what's chance got to do with anything ? we roll the dice, we recalculate based on the results, just as Elmer would..

..and on to the unexpected..sure, but that would take us all by surprise, i've still got a player bitching about me forcing him into designer no-go zones, i didn't play by the unwritten "rules', so ? i'll willingly give this info to Elmer, kick ass my silicon buddy..

(in reply to vonPryz)
Post #: 143
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/18/2008 8:46:43 PM   
a white rabbit

..if it's any help, i trained as a teacher of the mentally handicapped, and worked with the same, before dropping out, and becoming a farmer, moving to France, and getting a degree (it's complicated, equivalent stuff) in French in Agriculture..

..don't ask what i did during my dropping-out period, it was fun, s'all you need to know..

Post #: 144
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/18/2008 10:11:37 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

First you said “overall situation”, then you added “individual units” to the overall situation and now you’re asking about “getting the most” out of the individual units . . . geeze kid, you keep moving the target all over the place.

No, not at all really. My point is about getting the most out of individual units with regard to the overall situation. This has been my point all along.

quote:

However, since neither you nor your buddy Collin can figure out an easier way to do things, I figure it must be a cultural perplexity endemic to TDG. Maybe you’re just trying too hard; not everyone seems to share your problem.

I dunno. See the way most people play the large scenarios. It's striking how little relation their play in one sector has to another; making fruitless and costly assaults in one area while another successful sector is starved of reinforcements, etc.

I'm not really interested in discussing my own record as a player- but I'm prepared to go as far as to say I'm not incompetent.

My own experience has been that there are a lot of players who do not look at the big picture as they push units, or don't properly manage the units they do push -- or both. Not looking at the big picture is a particularly endemic flaw -- I'v won several matches over tactically competent players simply because they never looked at the big picture -- kept pushing where they were pushing for no better reason than that's where their units had piled up, etc.

What I've found with playing the monsters is that if one does try to keep the big picture in mind as one moves specific units, and at the same time manage those specific units so as to conduct movement most efficiently, avoid density penalties in movement, mount attacks properly, etc -- that then turns take an extraordinary length of time. Like, one beast I was playing I would routinely start the turns on one day and finish them the next.

This with a scenario that is actually pretty modest in size compared to some of the behemoths out there. I wouldn't play those guys -- how can you?

I don't want to wantonly flame all who play the beasts. However, I can't help thinking of a player who seems to be a lot better than me at this game -- at least, he convincingly trounced me when we played once. Perhaps not coincidentally, he habitually designs rather small scenarios with a modest unit count.

One can have a huge area where various flank activities can go on. I'll also grant that doing the entire Eastern front at 5 km a hex has a certain appeal. However, I'm not sure an active combat area of more than about fifty hexes square is really desirable. As one exceeds that limit, the quality of your play is inevitably going to decline.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/19/2008 12:02:13 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 145
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/18/2008 11:03:56 PM   
vahauser

Colin,

I disagree.  It all comes down to situational awareness and cognitive complexity.  Some people can handle larger loads competently than others.

For instance, it was said that one of the reasons Napoleon was so superior to other commanders was because he could grasp and manage larger situations and larger battles much quicker and more effectively.

Thus, it depends on the individual.  Some players will never be Napoleons on the TOAW battlefield.  Others will be.

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 146
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/19/2008 3:09:25 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: vahauser

Colin,

I disagree. It all comes down to situational awareness and cognitive complexity. Some people can handle larger loads competently than others.

For instance, it was said that one of the reasons Napoleon was so superior to other commanders was because he could grasp and manage larger situations and larger battles much quicker and more effectively.

Thus, it depends on the individual. Some players will never be Napoleons on the TOAW battlefield. Others will be.

No comment.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 147
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/19/2008 3:38:25 PM   
a white rabbit

..i'll freely admit to loosing it on some of the monsters, this before the new zoom levels, the things are just so big that it gets difficult even knowing which direction you're supposed to be going, let alone how the current combat fits the over-all picture..

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 148
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/19/2008 7:23:59 PM   
berto

quote:

..take a serious look at the future of a game with an AI that improves automatically most times it's played, "most" 'cos some won't take the auto-update per scen' option, "most" 'cos most will, a better AI, yahhh how good am i ? really ?..

..we all have the machinery and connections to the internet, and given the lack of screams, we're also ready to give up to 12 hours thinking time (optional length) and the computer space/ storage memory, and you have a game that'l do 6-hours to a month moves, a solid game, tried and tested...

..think "to be", not now, and really not 'then'..

AI deliberation without arbitrary time and resources constraints, Internet connections, pooled experience, emergent AI, ...

Yes, now we're thinking! Outside the box!!

Not all of these crazy ideas will be (soon) feasible, but some might, and they are all worth considering.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

Post #: 149
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/20/2008 6:54:18 AM   
a white rabbit

..Thank you berto..

..it all exists now, 24/7 internet at high speed, anti-virus programs that phone-home and auto-update, so why can't Elmer contact a patterns library ? computers that run 24/7, home computers that could run a moon landing and a pooled military/wargames experience that must run into 100s of years actual playing time..oh, and an engine that despite our bitching, actually works well..

..just gotta join up the dots..

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI