Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/20/2008 5:18:32 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

so why can't Elmer contact a patterns library ?

Because we don't want to play Fite against Elmer if he has access to Karri's database.

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 151
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/20/2008 9:51:52 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

..Thank you berto..

..it all exists now, 24/7 internet at high speed, anti-virus programs that phone-home and auto-update, so why can't Elmer contact a patterns library ? computers that run 24/7, home computers that could run a moon landing and a pooled military/wargames experience that must run into 100s of years actual playing time..oh, and an engine that despite our bitching, actually works well.

..just gotta join up the dots..

You'd have to be careful because of privacy concerns, but tracking all moves and either analyzing the games off-line on the player's PC or optionally sending a summary of the games moves to a central point to be analyzed (or some combination) is theoretically possible. You need to be careful about this, because it's easy to unbalance the AI, especially with Neural Networks.

Heck, just getting Elmer (Future name Bugs(?)) a strategic layer that's good enough that he could play against himself to try to determine the best strategy against the human's plays might be helpful in building that up too. If you can determine that on turn 10, an apparent strong concentration on the left flank can probably be successfully be responded to by ... he's got a leg up. Figuring out how to successfully do that, however, is a tough problem to solve.

If nothing else, having a finer layer of tracking than the current one-turn VCR might help with figuring out ways to send in error reports and a better way to tune Elmer/Bugs/Scenarios.

For the near future, I'm keeping my options open about what the best way to do these things is. I suspect that there isn't going to be just one answer, but a combination of different approaches.

Ralph

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 152
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/20/2008 11:27:16 PM   
Grell

I welcome a new version but that Xbox 360 stuff scares me. That is arcade level, not my thing at all.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 153
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/21/2008 5:46:21 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: vahauser

For instance, it was said that one of the reasons Napoleon was so superior to other commanders was because he could grasp and manage larger situations and larger battles much quicker and more effectively.

Well this would depend on the scenario. Is Napoleon controlling twenty divisions or two hundred battalions?

In TOAW, one doesn't have subordinates. If the scenario includes the battalions, you have to micromanage them whether it's appropriate or not.

This is the crux of the question. How many units can a commander control without beginning to lose effectiveness? Well, how many units were they historically expected to command? OKH didn't direct the movement of individual regiments on the Eastern Front because it was impractical for a single HQ to do so. Unless you have a more efficient staff than OKH, you're going to lose efficiency by controlling the Eastern Front at regiment level.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 1/21/2008 5:54:49 PM >

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 154
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 1/21/2008 7:02:52 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

quote:

..Thank you berto..

..it all exists now, 24/7 internet at high speed, anti-virus programs that phone-home and auto-update, so why can't Elmer contact a patterns library ? computers that run 24/7, home computers that could run a moon landing and a pooled military/wargames experience that must run into 100s of years actual playing time..oh, and an engine that despite our bitching, actually works well.

..just gotta join up the dots..

You'd have to be careful because of privacy concerns, but tracking all moves and either analyzing the games off-line on the player's PC or optionally sending a summary of the games moves to a central point to be analyzed (or some combination) is theoretically possible. You need to be careful about this, because it's easy to unbalance the AI, especially with Neural Networks.

Heck, just getting Elmer (Future name Bugs(?)) a strategic layer that's good enough that he could play against himself to try to determine the best strategy against the human's plays might be helpful in building that up too. If you can determine that on turn 10, an apparent strong concentration on the left flank can probably be successfully be responded to by ... he's got a leg up. Figuring out how to successfully do that, however, is a tough problem to solve.

If nothing else, having a finer layer of tracking than the current one-turn VCR might help with figuring out ways to send in error reports and a better way to tune Elmer/Bugs/Scenarios.

For the near future, I'm keeping my options open about what the best way to do these things is. I suspect that there isn't going to be just one answer, but a combination of different approaches.

Ralph

..re privacy concerns..i wasn't really thinking of a p2p, eg emule, approach, more a central library similar to the scen libraries already in existance, The latter gives Elmer a lot more reference data always available and makes dling optional. If he only stores automatically in the player's computer the actual game, then compares the developing patterns to previous games in the library, he should be able to work out what's most likely to happen in future moves...

..re strategic layer.. i don't see it being possible without a second map, possibly a third at max zoom out for big scens, simplified at the relevant scale, and the formations simplified to one piece representing the center of the formation ? Don't forget this map level isn't a combat level map, it's a planning map, the one used to compare patterns, he get's his own technical data from the combat map, by assessing as now but simplified, eg loss = -1, draw = 0, win = +1 , no combat= 0, add these for each unit in the formation and then " is the formation's attack possibility greater than x (pick a number), y/n ?' store result, go on to next formation and when all formations have a result compare with the patterns till one fits (gets most correlation points) and is a game winner..execute..

..re stategic layer 2..i'm not suggesting that we try to make Elmer intelligent *, just that we find a way to give him memory/ chance to study, just as the best chess and iGo games have. Pattern comparison he can do, a simplified zoom-out map is all he needs to do it quickly and efficently, after all on the more popular scens he's gonna have a fair few pattern maps..

..* not immediately anyway..

..an after thought, is there any reason why the library couldn't have pbem and vs PO games in it ? that would seriously increase his abilities..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 155
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 2/3/2008 10:13:03 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grell
I welcome a new version but that Xbox 360 stuff scares me. That is arcade level, not my thing at all.

Regards,
Grell

No, it'd be the same game, mainly played with smaller scenarion, more online play. The interface would have to use only a joystick, the mechanics of the interface would definitely have to change for the lower resolution, but the game would be the same game.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 156
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 2/5/2008 10:12:48 AM   
L`zard

Jesus Chrysler, Ralph!

Say it's not so!

Going xbox/arcade killed the last chance for MechWarrior to be a 'serious' game, eh? The whole 'mythos' is now 'twitch-time gamey'.....

Your scaring me........................

"I have the brain of a genius, and the heart of a little child! I keep them in a jar under my bed."

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 157
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 2/5/2008 11:59:51 AM   
Heldenkaiser

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious
How many units can a commander control without beginning to lose effectiveness? Well, how many units were they historically expected to command?

The answers differ a bit on that one. Organization theory apparantely says seven subordinates is the maximum for any level. Clausewitz wanted an army divided into four to eight pieces, corps or lower into four to six; the Swiss writer Ruestow recommended six to eight sub-units on the army level. The German army in the 19th and early 20th centuries on the whole preferred much smaller numbers, usually two to three major sub-units on each level. British and Americans in the Cold War opted for four or five. In any case, it's usually taken for granted that anything in excess of the given numbers is too much for a single HQ to control. The eight infantry corps and five cavalry divisions plus artillery reserve, i.e. fourteen major sub-units, that the Austrian North Army commanded directly in 1866 were too much to keep track of by any standard.

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 158
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 2/5/2008 3:11:21 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Heldenkaiser

The answers differ a bit on that one. Organization theory apparantely says seven subordinates is the maximum for any level. Clausewitz wanted an army divided into four to eight pieces, corps or lower into four to six; the Swiss writer Ruestow recommended six to eight sub-units on the army level. The German army in the 19th and early 20th centuries on the whole preferred much smaller numbers, usually two to three major sub-units on each level. British and Americans in the Cold War opted for four or five. In any case, it's usually taken for granted that anything in excess of the given numbers is too much for a single HQ to control. The eight infantry corps and five cavalry divisions plus artillery reserve, i.e. fourteen major sub-units, that the Austrian North Army commanded directly in 1866 were too much to keep track of by any standard.

Yeah. Note that commanders are generally expected to be in contact with officers two levels below them. For a lot of scenarios, a player at high command (one level above army group) is commanding units five steps below them (army group, army, corps, division, regiment).

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Heldenkaiser)
Post #: 159
RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? - 2/5/2008 3:35:01 PM   
hank

quote:

ORIGINAL: L`zard

Jesus Chrysler, Ralph!

Say it's not so!

Going xbox/arcade killed the last chance for MechWarrior to be a 'serious' game, eh? The whole 'mythos' is now 'twitch-time gamey'.....

Your scaring me........................

Interesting ... a reference to an ancient game I played on-line so much it led to carple-tunnel ... What a great game Mechwarrior was. Alas, I no longer play it ... my health suffered too much.

Did you play MW a lot? On-line? as part of a clan? That's refreshing to see other wargamers played MW too.

(in reply to L`zard)
Post #: 160
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: Chance of Norm Koger doing a sequel? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI