Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Transporting Battleground civil war to different computers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Transporting Battleground civil war to different computers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Transporting Battleground civil war to different computers - 12/27/2007 5:14:50 PM   
zionj1

I have the games installed on a portable hard drive and they work fine on my home computer but when i try to open them on my work computer i get the error message that there is a problem with my registration number. Is there a way that this can be fixed?
Post #: 1
RE: Transporting Battleground civil war to different co... - 12/27/2007 6:58:54 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: zionj1
I have the games installed on a portable hard drive and they work fine on my home computer but when i try to open them on my work computer i get the error message that there is a problem with my registration number. Is there a way that this can be fixed?

Yup - simply install them on your computer@work as well

Ok, I realize that this is a) unadvisable as it can get you fired and b) sometimes simply not possible if you don't have the required user privileges.

Unfortunately the other possible method, which involves messing with the windows registry is then out as well

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to zionj1)
Post #: 2
RE: Transporting Battleground civil war to different co... - 12/28/2007 2:45:37 AM   
zionj1

Thanks Eddy but I do not have any priviledges to download anything on the work computer. I thought that since they are on a portable harddrive that they should play. I have another game on the same harddrive and it plays just fine through the work computer. Any other thoughts. The main titles will load but i get the error message when i try to open the game.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 3
RE: Transporting Battleground civil war to different co... - 12/28/2007 9:11:53 AM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: zionj1
Thanks Eddy but I do not have any priviledges to download anything on the work computer. I thought that since they are on a portable harddrive that they should play. I have another game on the same harddrive and it plays just fine through the work computer.

It all depends on how the program is written. If it's self-contained it'll work, if it writes stuff to the windows registry or puts dll's in system directories it won't.

The reason Matrix Games don't work this way is because of the serial number security implementation. I won't go into specifics here but the two options I mentioned are unavailable to you if you don't have local admin user priviledges on that computer - i.e. you need to be able to install stuff.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to zionj1)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Transporting Battleground civil war to different computers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI