Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Does weather influence invasions in WITP

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Does weather influence invasions in WITP Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Does weather influence invasions in WITP - 4/14/2008 11:08:21 PM   
castor troy

2ncACR just came up with a very interesting assumption about weather and invasions. While weather in certain months made invasions in real life impossible, is weather influencing invasions in WITP in a way that more, or far more troops get disabled due a landing? So let´s say, never do an invasion in a thunderstorm, or blizzard, or even, never invade at some place at some months?

Never heard of it, the manual of course says nothing about it, but if it really is so, then it would be important enough to let people know years after releasing the game.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 4/14/2008 11:09:23 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Does weather influence invasions in WITP - 4/15/2008 12:17:37 AM   
John Lansford

Since there's no way to predict what the weather will be even a day in advance, much less a week, I hope that weather has little effect on an invasion (other than to hide the TF's from air searches).

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 2
RE: Does weather influence invasions in WITP - 4/15/2008 12:22:59 AM   
ctangus

I suspect this is what you're looking for. Manual, pg. 173:

quote:

Cold Zones during the winter impact
ground units the same way as Malaria Zones (above), with the following added penalties:...

o Ground units unloading at an enemy base/beach or into a non-base hex
with an enemy unit will suffer roughly three times the losses they would
normally suffer.

Post #: 3
RE: Does weather influence invasions in WITP - 4/15/2008 9:20:17 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ctangus

quote:

ground units the same way as Malaria Zones (above), with the following added penalties:...

normally suffer.

OH MY GOD! I stand corrected! I appologize! The manual clearly states that invasions in winter in cold zones do affect invasions! Now everything is clear! Thanks ctangus! Now I also know why my first invasion got cut down with 95% disablements with only 40% preparation. This time 100% prepped and 73% disabled.

Funny thing is that all people who told me the reason for 95% was small arms fire, the highly fortified enemy....

LOL, it was the weather....

(in reply to ctangus)
Post #: 4
RE: Does weather influence invasions in WITP - 4/15/2008 10:50:06 AM   
Adnan Meshuggi

i think, weather should have a significant influence.

just think about d-day... the allies nearly cancel this event cause of bad weather.

So imagine a landing at tarawa in a thunderstorm... no sight, big waves and the landing crafts get nearly sunk just by weather.

You should recive a weather warning (the game should do the weather for the next turn) with an chance of 10-90% truth. So if you try to invade Island X and your forecast say "thunderstorm" you really could be pissed of. Or you delay but the sun shines... like in real war.
The effect should not be devasting (only with blizzard/thunderstorm) , but local weather should have allways have influence...

just my 2 cents

Don't tickle yourself with some moralist crap thinking we have some sort of obligation to help these people. We're there for our self-interest, and anything we do to be 'nice' should be considered a courtesy dweebespit

Post #: 5
RE: Does weather influence invasions in WITP - 4/15/2008 1:55:19 PM   
John Lansford

Having a few typhoons in the summer/fall months would make life interesting too...

(in reply to Adnan Meshuggi)
Post #: 6
RE: Does weather influence invasions in WITP - 4/15/2008 2:17:58 PM   
Mistmatz

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ctangus

quote:

normally suffer.

OH MY GOD! I stand corrected! I appologize! The manual clearly states that invasions in winter in cold zones do affect invasions! Now everything is clear! Thanks ctangus! Now I also know why my first invasion got cut down with 95% disablements with only 40% preparation. This time 100% prepped and 73% disabled.

Funny thing is that all people who told me the reason for 95% was small arms fire, the highly fortified enemy....

LOL, it was the weather....

quote:

ding at an enemy base/beach or into a non-base hex
with an enemy unit will suffer roughly three times

Actually if I understand the quote correctly it's not the weather (which changes daily) but the time of the year (winter) and the zone were you are trying to land (cold, malaria). Nothing is said about thunderstorms and the like.

Nevertheless the manual talks about a weather forecast per each hex (if I understand it correctly) in addition to the nine weather zones. I just checked som 50 or so hexes but couldn't find a difference in the hexes to the forecat of the zone. Is this feature just not implemented or are the chances for a difference just that low?

Post #: 7
RE: Does weather influence invasions in WITP - 4/15/2008 2:19:22 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adnan Meshuggi

i think, weather should have a significant influence.

just think about d-day... the allies nearly cancel this event cause of bad weather.

So imagine a landing at tarawa in a thunderstorm... no sight, big waves and the landing crafts get nearly sunk just by weather.

You should recive a weather warning (the game should do the weather for the next turn) with an chance of 10-90% truth. So if you try to invade Island X and your forecast say "thunderstorm" you really could be pissed of. Or you delay but the sun shines... like in real war.
The effect should not be devasting (only with blizzard/thunderstorm) , but local weather should have allways have influence...

just my 2 cents

absolutely correct, I just couldn´t imagine (and never thought of) that WITP weather influences WITP invasions. It´s clear that real life weather influences real life invasions.

(in reply to Adnan Meshuggi)
Post #: 8
RE: Does weather influence invasions in WITP - 4/15/2008 9:14:53 PM   
Widell

http://witp.kodapa.com/index.php?title=Combined_Arms%2C_Miscellaneous#Weather_Effects for some more details on weather.....

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Does weather influence invasions in WITP Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI