Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What side you you prefere to play, and why?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: What side you you prefere to play, and why? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What side you you prefere to play, and why? - 6/20/2008 6:15:04 PM   
bobogoboom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

"I've been a transplant since '92 and still consider myself a "Damn Yankee.""

You certainly qualify as one... For those who've never lived in the south let me explain the difference between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee... A yankee comes south for a vacation, a damn yankee comes south and stays...

As far as the OP's question: so far I have played only the allies, partly because of the variety of nations, ships and aircraft. Another reason is that I enjoy playing out desperate defenses, and certainly in the first year of the war this is what describes the allied play. I have played the first six months of the war several times against the AI, mainly due to restarts for new versions.

When it came time to play PBEM, I advertised for a Japanese opponent mainly because I had never even opened the game on the Japanese side and so felt that this could give my opponent an extra advantage (my not knowing the exact capabilities of his units).

I also happen to have a love affair with some of the USN and RN ships so I figure that my first time or two through the game should be on that side...

In high school and college I often had to play as the Axis player in WW2 games, mainly because it was hard to get a casual player to take the other side. Now I have access to other diehard wargamers on this forum and so it is not necessary to do so just to find a game.

I , acording to you Bradfordkay, qualify as a DAMN Yankee( I take it a s a compliment actually), and believe me, I have been referrerd to that phrase by quite a few here in Texas in my 4 years here so far.
Living in Chicago, unless you were from Milwaukee or St. Louis, I never looked down on anyone.

well texas is the greatest state in the history of the world(the rest of the 49 always drag us down. especially arkansas).

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 61
RE: What side you you prefere to play, and why? - 6/20/2008 6:17:30 PM   
bobogoboom

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rainerle

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Japan. 'Rising Sun beer' (aka Tsingtao beer) is so much better than Miller or Bud... And because of the harder/honour/underdog/challenge reasons.

Uhh-ohhh unfortunately Tsingtao is chinese and therefore allied brew Should go with the Asahi or Kirin

From http://www.feldgrau.com/articles.php?ID=11

"Just as a small anecdotal side bar, when German monks established their first orders in Tsingtao, (the German monks were primarily from Franken, or Franconia), as an extra activity to supplement their primary calling they did in China what they did back in Germany - make beer. Soon, a small plant was established in Tsingtao to increase production and satisfy the demand. When the Japanese took over the facility in 1914 and when the Chinese took over the beer making facility in 1922, they both changed the name of the brew, but they both also retained the original formula. During World War Two, the Japanese occupied the brewery again and this time, they renamed it "Rising Sun Beer". But as before, the formula remained unchanged. Today, at least in North America, the beer is known as "Tsingtao Beer". But the formula is still the original German one!"

Hence it is 'Japanese' beer in the WitP time frame .

It's not a bad beer.

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 62
RE: What side you you prefere to play, and why? - 6/21/2008 4:14:25 AM   
Gem35

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobogoboom

quote:

quote:

You certainly qualify as one... For those who've never lived in the south let me explain the difference between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee... A yankee comes south for a vacation, a damn yankee comes south and stays...

As far as the OP's question: so far I have played only the allies, partly because of the variety of nations, ships and aircraft. Another reason is that I enjoy playing out desperate defenses, and certainly in the first year of the war this is what describes the allied play. I have played the first six months of the war several times against the AI, mainly due to restarts for new versions.

When it came time to play PBEM, I advertised for a Japanese opponent mainly because I had never even opened the game on the Japanese side and so felt that this could give my opponent an extra advantage (my not knowing the exact capabilities of his units).

I also happen to have a love affair with some of the USN and RN ships so I figure that my first time or two through the game should be on that side...

In high school and college I often had to play as the Axis player in WW2 games, mainly because it was hard to get a casual player to take the other side. Now I have access to other diehard wargamers on this forum and so it is not necessary to do so just to find a game.

I , acording to you Bradfordkay, qualify as a DAMN Yankee( I take it a s a compliment actually), and believe me, I have been referrerd to that phrase by quite a few here in Texas in my 4 years here so far.
Living in Chicago, unless you were from Milwaukee or St. Louis, I never looked down on anyone.

well texas is the greatest state in the history of the world(the rest of the 49 always drag us down. especially arkansas).

Because I like Bobo, I will ignore the Texas is the greatest comment, but I will admit it is a close second to Chicago, the greatest city in the world, shame on you if you never get a chance to visit.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 63
RE: What side you you prefere to play, and why? - 6/21/2008 5:40:09 AM   
Mynok

Chicago, which I have visited on numerous occasions, has a major problem: the winds blow from either Michigan or Minnesota, either of which are seriously problematic. There is no "lesser of two evils" in the choice of stench between Norwegian bachelor farmers and wolverines.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 64
RE: What side you you prefere to play, and why? - 6/21/2008 6:03:15 AM   
Bombsight

I play the allied side. I generally play the rising sun scenario (Pearl Harbor through May - June 1942)because of the challenge of trying to salvage something in spite of overwhelming Japanese superiority.

Anyway, my Dad told of his experiences in the South Pacific (3rd Marine Division), the real enemy were the Aussies (1st and 2nd battles of Brisbane) and the Kiwis (lesser known battle(s) of Auckland).

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 65
RE: What side you you prefere to play, and why? - 6/21/2008 7:01:49 AM   
n01487477

quote:

Anyway, my Dad told of his experiences in the South Pacific (3rd Marine Division), the real enemy were the Aussies (1st and 2nd battles of Brisbane) and the Kiwis (lesser known battle(s) of Auckland).

Yes, being a Brisbane boy, although born in England ... the Battle of Brisbane is infamous ...
even has a Wiki entry ...
quote:

The "Battle of Brisbane" is the name given to violence between United States (US) military personnel on one side and Australian servicemen and civilians on the other, in Brisbane, Australia on November 26-27, 1942, during World War II. Australia and the US were Allies at the time. By the time the violence had been quelled one Australian soldier was dead, and hundreds of Australians and US servicemen had been injured. [1] News reports of these incidents were suppressed during the war.

which was the result of the typical problem issues in life ...(women and money)
quote:

They're overpaid, oversexed and over here', was a common phrase used by Australians around this time

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 6/21/2008 7:02:59 AM >

(in reply to Bombsight)
Post #: 66
RE: What side you you prefere to play, and why? - 6/22/2008 5:31:36 AM   
Hornblower

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobogoboom

quote:

quote:

Ok now that is some good stuff.. I play the USA.. er sorry, Allied... My country right or wrong, my country - Stephen Decatur . Now my fellow WITP/AE Forum- ites. IT may not be the nicest, it may not be the prettiest, it may not have the smartest folks on the face of the earth, and man its expensive - but you need to check out NYC, and if you want to do something really crazy, get a car, go up rt9 or the Taconic parkway and hed north 50 miles and enjoy the New York Highlands where i grew up- other side of the Hudson from West Point- and get as slice ( that is a portion of pizza pie to you non-NY’er heathens)

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 67
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: What side you you prefere to play, and why? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI