Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Suply - little question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: Suply - little question Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Suply - little question - 11/5/2008 8:52:48 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright
The thing is, the current system rests on an essentially false paradigm: that supply capacity is the ability of the system to supply a portion of each unit's needs without reference to how many units there are.

That is not a false paradigm if the number of units being supplied is a reasonably fixed parameter. That's the case for most topics that don't involve unlimited amphibious operations. That's why most scenarios work pretty well in TOAW, provided they stay away from that one taboo.

Not really. The Allies need Antwerp. Why? So that they can supply more units on the Continent.

The Germans can only mount a two-division assault on Murmansk. Why? Because that's all they can supply up there.

The Americans could base only a few B-29's in China. Why? Because that's all they could supply there.

The British can only pushone or two divisions past Tobruk in 1941-1942. Why? Because that's all they could supply that far forward.

In the real world, supply is volume-based. So long as TOAW denies this, it's ability to simulate actual warfare will be crippled to a greater or a lesser degree. Your 'argument,' such as it is, consists in accepting this crippling where it doesn't vitiate the scenario entirely, and minimizing the range of situations where it does. At best, you design around the problem. At worst, you don't design at all.

Wouldn't it be a little more constructive to consider how best to address the problem?

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 11/5/2008 9:04:42 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 31
RE: Supply Point Values - 11/5/2008 9:01:34 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones
While on the subject, would also like to open two other supply proposals to discussion.

1)      The ability to move supply by rail should have an impact that diminishes the total amount of RR capacity available to move troops.  Maybe events could be devised that gives the player the option to give transport priority to either troops or supply.

This is already modeled by the fact that if you don't use your RR cap to move troops your supply level is enhanced by transport sharing.

Offhand, you'd need a heckofa rail cap to have much effect.

In Seelowe, the British have an extremely generous rail allowance. It's so generous that in spite of the fact that most of their units use the choo-choo at least part of the way to the front, they rarely run out of rail capacity. If the British had a mind to, I'd guess they could load a good third of their active army at any point onto the rails.

Of course on most turns most of this capacity remains unused -- and yet I've never noticed any corresponding boost to the British supply. It's possible, of course, that I would if I took a closer look -- but my suspicion is that to have any appreciable effect, you'd need such a large rail cap that the using player would have essentially unlimited rail transport capacity. Indeed, it'd probably have to be so large that whether the owning player moved or didn't move troops by rail would have no meaningful effect.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 11/5/2008 9:07:25 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 32
RE: Suply - little question - 11/6/2008 4:47:21 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious
It would mean that twice the forces would get half the supply.

But remain in supply! Which ultimately means they're good to go - regardless of how many they are.

quote:

And the difficulty of supplying large forces in the deep desert, and the logistical problems involved in campaigns in the Arctic (forget that house rule you have for this in your 1941 scenario), and scenarios with widely separated theatres of combat and....

How does it solve any of those? Regardless, you're missing my point. Why squander effort on a further abstraction that still won't solve the amphibious operations problem that is the principle rationale for it to begin with? Fundamentally, to make those work, we need some sort of discrete supply system.

quote:

Any beach which has favourable conditions for landing amphibious craft and good transport links inland, yes.

Presumably, the designer would only model beaches that had those favorable conditions, and TOAW itself will model the transport links part - no links, then supply doesn't filter inland from the beach. But, my main point was that it's more complicated than just port size.

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 33
RE: Suply - little question - 11/6/2008 5:22:58 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

That is not a false paradigm if the number of units being supplied is a reasonably fixed parameter. That's the case for most topics that don't involve unlimited amphibious operations. That's why most scenarios work pretty well in TOAW, provided they stay away from that one taboo.

Not really. The Allies need Antwerp. Why? So that they can supply more units on the Continent.

Sounds like a job for an event or two. Capture Antwerp and supply levels increase and/or conditional reinforcements become available, etc. The system can handle this now.

quote:

The Germans can only mount a two-division assault on Murmansk. Why? Because that's all they can supply up there.

I seriously doubt that was the issue. It's far more likely that they were limited by lack of properly equipped forces for the conditions that far north. Plus, TOAW doesn't model those conditions well. Plus, they had other priorities.

quote:

The Americans could base only a few B-29's in China. Why? Because that's all they could supply there.

I'll admit that TOAW can't do the entire Pacific War. But, if you're just doing China, or part of it, then you control how many B-29s are available there. Again, just avoid the taboos.

quote:

The British can only pushone or two divisions past Tobruk in 1941-1942. Why? Because that's all they could supply that far forward.

Hogwash!

quote:

In the real world, supply is volume-based. So long as TOAW denies this, it's ability to simulate actual warfare will be crippled to a greater or a lesser degree. Your 'argument,' such as it is, consists in accepting this crippling where it doesn't vitiate the scenario entirely, and minimizing the range of situations where it does. At best, you design around the problem. At worst, you don't design at all.

Wouldn't it be a little more constructive to consider how best to address the problem?

Please re-read the one condition I set in my first statement. If that condition is true, TOAW holds up pretty well. And it's the case for the vast majority of scenarios in existance, regardless of your ability to dream up expansive topics that violate it.

The problem you're complaining about is something I want to get fixed too. I just don't agree on how easy you think it's going to be to fix, or how many scenarios will actually benefit from it. There are a whole host of other supply issues that need addressing just as badly. Nevertheless, I am being constructive about it. You just don't like the answer.

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 34
RE: Suply - little question - 11/6/2008 6:42:30 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious
It would mean that twice the forces would get half the supply.

But remain in supply! Which ultimately means they're good to go - regardless of how many they are.

Not really. This assumes the enemy is good enough not to pester them -- nor especially obstinate about yielding territory.

In any case, it would represent a significant improvement over the current situation. If you feel a more radical change would improve things still further, far be it from me to discourage you from presenting it.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 35
RE: Suply - little question - 11/6/2008 6:43:46 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay Nevertheless, I am being constructive about it. You just don't like the answer.

Since you're being constructive about the issue of volume-based supply, would you link to your suggestion about it?

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 36
RE: Suply - little question - 11/6/2008 6:51:19 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

Sounds like a job for an event or two. Capture Antwerp and supply levels increase and/or conditional reinforcements become available, etc. The system can handle this now.

That's just it. Ideally, one would want to the player to decide: 'do I want fifty divisions with 20% supply or one hundred divisions with 10% supply?'

In a volume-based supply system, the program would more or less automatically present this question. 'Bring more divisions over if you want -- but they'll be getting less supply.'

However, since TOAW has a supply system that is at such odds with reality, either the choice has to be rather clumsily and artificially presented through events, or the player is just confined to the historical course of events -- and God help us if he manages to take Rotterdam without taking Antwerp.

Sure, one can come up with work-arounds, expedients, compromises, etc. However, that is evidence of the problem, not proof that it doesn't exist.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 37
RE: Suply - little question - 11/6/2008 6:56:42 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

Hogwash!

It is? Playfair seems to feel differently (and so, apparently, did both the British and the German High Commands).

The fact is that in general, one of the operating effects in North Africa was that as either side was driven back, its supply improved while that of its opponent got worse. Naturally, other factors also came into play -- but that was an element. The British come up on el Agheila twice -- and twice find themselves gasping for air. Rommel comes up on Tobruk, then he comes up on El Alamein. Both times his supply situation becomes acute. The Germans are finally driven back on Tunisia. They are able to stage quite a stand there.

In TOAW-land, El Alamein's no problem. The Germans can put twenty divisions into the front at El Alamein if they want to. If five get 15% supply, so do fifty. Just plonk in everything that went into Tunisia, break Auchinleck's line, and triumphantly march into Cairo. Boy, those Germans -- why can't they be as smart as us TOAW players?

This is the system you are defending. Whoops, I forgot, you're being 'constructive.' I'm waiting for the link to your 'constructive' suggestion about how to address this.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 11/6/2008 7:00:21 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 38
RE: Suply - little question - 11/6/2008 7:03:47 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

I'll admit that TOAW can't do the entire Pacific War. But, if you're just doing China, or part of it, then you control how many B-29s are available there. Again, just avoid the taboos.

Now what you're really saying here is 'just don't allow the game's supply engine to govern how many B-29's can go into China.'

Because the sky will be the limit. Because the supply engine is totally unrealistic.

Suppose we've got a CBI scenario. And suppose I capture Rangoon in early '44. Shouldn't I be allowed to base lots of B-29's there? Must the scenario designer anticipate the possibility?

Wouldn't it be neat if, instead, we had a supply engine that modelled reality better? What's your suggestion about how to achieve that?

Since you're being constructive and all.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 11/6/2008 7:05:33 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 39
RE: Suply - little question - 11/7/2008 4:26:00 AM   
ralphtricky

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmlima

Also, a more mysterious one , at least to me. In a rant against a review of TOAW 1, Norm (on his webpage) said the following:

quote:

All ports/beaches have the same capacity to handle shipping or supply. I am sure the Western Allies wished that was the case on D-Day! If the game's model were accurate, they must have been confused about needing to take Cherbourg or Antwerp. How about weather, or damage from combat having an effect on any of these capacities? These real-world considerations were overlooked too.
Two words: Event Engine. There isn't one item on your list that couldn't be handled with a few events.

Now. How does one models varying supply capabilities of ports in the event engine? Or was this removed from TOAW 1?

There's no direct way. Some tricks, though.

1. Don't have the rail line go directly into any port you want to have a limited supply capacity.

2. Put the supply hex immediately offshore. Same effect.

3. Go over to 'sea roads' and broken 'bridges.' Same effect as above, plus it allows the enemy to potentially disrupt supplies and also allows you to control how many such ports can be put into service at once by controlling the supply of units that can 'bridge' the gap.

Colin,
Do you know what scenarios use these tactics? (2 and 3) I'm curious about how the supply rewrite works with them. I think I can support variable supply hexes through a kludge, so they're less necessary, but I should verify that the old supply rules work as expected with the the new code and these scenarios.

Thanks,
Ralph

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

Post #: 40
RE: Suply - little question - 11/7/2008 4:53:59 PM   
Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

quote:

quote:

Also, a more mysterious one , at least to me. In a rant against a review of TOAW 1, Norm (on his webpage) said the following:

quote:

All ports/beaches have the same capacity to handle shipping or supply. I am sure the Western Allies wished that was the case on D-Day! If the game's model were accurate, they must have been confused about needing to take Cherbourg or Antwerp. How about weather, or damage from combat having an effect on any of these capacities? These real-world considerations were overlooked too.
Two words: Event Engine. There isn't one item on your list that couldn't be handled with a few events.

Now. How does one models varying supply capabilities of ports in the event engine? Or was this removed from TOAW 1?

1. Don't have the rail line go directly into any port you want to have a limited supply capacity.

3. Go over to 'sea roads' and broken 'bridges.' Same effect as above, plus it allows the enemy to potentially disrupt supplies and also allows you to control how many such ports can be put into service at once by controlling the supply of units that can 'bridge' the gap.

Colin,
Do you know what scenarios use these tactics? (2 and 3) I'm curious about how the supply rewrite works with them. I think I can support variable supply hexes through a kludge, so they're less necessary, but I should verify that the old supply rules work as expected with the the new code and these scenarios.

Thanks,
Ralph

Point 3: West Front 44 2.x - The modded version from the gamesquad forums, i think it's in the download section over there.

< Message edited by Telumar -- 11/7/2008 4:54:22 PM >

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 41
RE: Suply - little question - 11/7/2008 5:29:17 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Not really. This assumes the enemy is good enough not to pester them -- nor especially obstinate about yielding territory.

Yes really. They really do remain in supply regardless of how many are in the hex or what the hex supply levels are. Supply state is dependent only on whether the unit has a communications path. This is why this problem requires a change to the supply states and how they are determined.

quote:

In any case, it would represent a significant improvement over the current situation. If you feel a more radical change would improve things still further, far be it from me to discourage you from presenting it.

I'll repeat my objection to this I made in post #33:

"Why squander effort on a further abstraction that still won't solve the amphibious operations problem that is the principle rationale for it to begin with?"

In other words, the types of scenarios that need this sort of feature tend to be the types that also need sea supply, and this abstraction will not enable sea supply. Discrete supply will do both. Let's just focus on discrete supply.

Post #: 42
RE: Suply - little question - 11/7/2008 5:31:11 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay Nevertheless, I am being constructive about it. You just don't like the answer.

Since you're being constructive about the issue of volume-based supply, would you link to your suggestion about it?

I've posted repeatedly and exhaustively about what's required to implement discrete supply both in the wishlist and in any thread where we've discussed this.

Post #: 43
RE: Suply - little question - 11/7/2008 5:40:49 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

That's just it. Ideally, one would want to the player to decide: 'do I want fifty divisions with 20% supply or one hundred divisions with 10% supply?'

In a volume-based supply system, the program would more or less automatically present this question. 'Bring more divisions over if you want -- but they'll be getting less supply.'

However, since TOAW has a supply system that is at such odds with reality, either the choice has to be rather clumsily and artificially presented through events, or the player is just confined to the historical course of events -- and God help us if he manages to take Rotterdam without taking Antwerp.

Sure, one can come up with work-arounds, expedients, compromises, etc. However, that is evidence of the problem, not proof that it doesn't exist.

Again, you're envisioning some monstrosity that is beyond what TOAW was designed for. Operational scale scenarios don't give the players choices between 50 or 100 divisions. Which is why this is a non-issue for the vast majority of existing scenarios. I'd like to be able to implement those ETO-scale monsters, too. But don't go claiming that this matters to normal scenarios because it doesn't.

Post #: 44
RE: Suply - little question - 11/7/2008 5:52:57 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

It is? Playfair seems to feel differently (and so, apparently, did both the British and the German High Commands).

The fact is that in general, one of the operating effects in North Africa was that as either side was driven back, its supply improved while that of its opponent got worse. Naturally, other factors also came into play -- but that was an element. The British come up on el Agheila twice -- and twice find themselves gasping for air. Rommel comes up on Tobruk, then he comes up on El Alamein. Both times his supply situation becomes acute. The Germans are finally driven back on Tunisia. They are able to stage quite a stand there.

Far more than one or two divisions were pushed beyond Tobruk on several occasions. They were pulled out for other reasons - Greece in 1940 and the Pacific in 1941. And the entire 8th Army went beyond it for good in 1942.

The existing system already provides supply attenuation for the Germans at El Alamein - not as much as I'd like, but 3.4 may improve that. And, as I've stated elsewhere, the ininite supply line problem requires a change to the supply states, not just the supply distribution.

quote:

In TOAW-land, El Alamein's no problem. The Germans can put twenty divisions into the front at El Alamein if they want to. If five get 15% supply, so do fifty. Just plonk in everything that went into Tunisia, break Auchinleck's line, and triumphantly march into Cairo. Boy, those Germans -- why can't they be as smart as us TOAW players?

Again, only if you conjure up a monstrosity that is beyond TOAW's norms. If you stick to an operational scale, both sides should not have more forces in play than can be supplied.

Post #: 45
RE: Suply - little question - 11/7/2008 6:01:36 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Now what you're really saying here is 'just don't allow the game's supply engine to govern how many B-29's can go into China.'

Because the sky will be the limit. Because the supply engine is totally unrealistic.

If you stick to the operational level the designer can control the force levels available.

quote:

Suppose we've got a CBI scenario. And suppose I capture Rangoon in early '44. Shouldn't I be allowed to base lots of B-29's there? Must the scenario designer anticipate the possibility?

China, Burma, and India? That's far beyond operational.

quote:

Wouldn't it be neat if, instead, we had a supply engine that modelled reality better?

Yes it would be neat. I've never said otherwise. But your claim that it has universal application is absurd. The vast majority of scenarios out there don't need it.

Post #: 46
RE: Suply - little question - 11/7/2008 6:12:43 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

If you stick to the operational level the designer can control the force levels available.

quote:

China, Burma, and India? That's far beyond operational.

quote:

Wouldn't it be neat if, instead, we had a supply engine that modelled reality better?

Yes it would be neat. I've never said otherwise. But your claim that it has universal application is absurd. The vast majority of scenarios out there don't need it.

Thank you for your suggestions about how to implement volume-based supply. You're being very constructive.

This has happened time and again. Any attempt to discuss this issue immediately gets tangled up with your rock-headed, obstinate, glaringly erroneous insistence that there is no problem. It's like trying to reroof a house if the owner keeps insisting there is no leak.

Watching you splash through the puddles whilst saying 'water? there's no water' gets old real fast.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 11/7/2008 6:14:39 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 47
RE: Suply - little question - 11/7/2008 7:47:22 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar

Point 3: West Front 44 2.x - The modded version from the gamesquad forums, i think it's in the download section over there.

Thanks I can work up #2 easily enough.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 48
RE: Suply - little question - 11/9/2008 10:04:25 AM   
Telumar

quote:

Btw, Interesting things happen here: Normally one thinks that any major ferry capable unit should be able to 'fill the gap' and trace supply over these broken bridges.. but it's not as simple. On a 10km/hex scale such a unit needs at least 30% major ferry capability to be able to trace supply, but then it doesn't trace the full supply, only 75%. Full supply will be traced with a ferry capability of around 70%+ Furthermore such units must not disembark to trace supply, it works also in the embarked status, though with around 75% of the normal supply (with 70+ % major fery cap.).

It's been a while since i ran the tests, so figures may vary, just writing from memory.

Post #: 49
RE: Suply - little question - 11/9/2008 8:31:21 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

quote:

quote:

quote:

Colin,
Do you know what scenarios use these tactics?

Thanks,
Ralph

My scenarios, basically. Let me know if you want a copy of Seelowe. Note that with (3) (sea roads) another attraction of the system is that naval units can block supply that depends on them. At the moment, as the British in a playtest, my Royal Navy is cutting the supply for a German secondary landing at Kings Lynn.

If I understand what you are proposing aright, your change wouldn't do anything to permit that. However, it would allow me to model secondary ports along the South coast a tad more elegantly and precisely.

As I say, more options never hurt. It's just that this doesn't get at the root of the problem.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: Suply - little question Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI