Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

And more questions...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> And more questions... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
And more questions... - 11/12/2008 6:39:59 AM   
2ndACR

Okay.....do you lose upgrades as the other side gets theirs? Say if the Union gets Invalid Corp, do you lose that option? Because I am noticing my list of choices getting very small with only 1 choice sometimes.

I have noticed that troops that are fatigued will not dig in.......but they will once they rest up. I guess that is normal?

Cavalry.........love them, nothing better than giving them Spencer Carbines, Dragoon Tactics and rushing in, killing 3-400 in a volley and then running away again. Are they always so powerful?

I can crush 40,000 Union troops with a single division of cavalry with all 6 brigades with this method. Of course, cavalry was a potent force. My 1st Cavalry Division leads my army with 29,000 casualties caused to 1100 losses. They are all listed as Veterans and Zealous. Hard to find cavalry leaders though. I have only one so far found with a good rating. Not a single other one has been found.

Any way to grow one? As in place a ? leader in a Cav unit and will he get a cavalry rating?

Love this game.......But never use the brigade artillery to convert units.......they run at the slightest shot their way and sometimes before. I capture and build. I have built 2 artillery brigades and 8 cavalry brigades.........have captured 4 Union artillery units. I have 1 entire Div with 3 Art units and 3 Spencer Rifle equiped infantry brigades for security. They anchor my middle line. The computer just can not cope with that.

And a last one.......I have never seen my ammo wagons decrease in supply count, what good is the logistic upgrade that gives you the big supply wagon other than another supply wagon? But they are very important......just fought my first battle with a single supply wagon......was not fun........
Post #: 1
RE: And more questions... - 11/12/2008 7:51:46 AM   
moose1999

You don't loose upgrades, but not all upgrades are available to pick from every time - sometimes only a few are available.
You can delay your choice if you want, sitting and waiting for your favorite upgrade to show up on the list.

Only non-fatigued troops can dig in, yes.

In my view, cavalry with good rifles (e.g. Spencers) and oblique fire or after choosing the Dragoons upgrade are too powerful. Also because the AI doesn't use them as effectively as me.
So I use a few house rules with them to balance things a bit. Though if I'm in a tight spot, house rules tend to go out the window...

Cavalry leaders can be hard to come by - a few historical ones are bound to show up though, are you playing with random stats?
You can't 'grow' your own leaders, but they have a slight chance to raise/lower their stats when they are promoted/demoted.

I convert infantry to artillery all the time. It's very cheap and I just protect and babysit them until they have become experienced enough to be able to take care of themselves.
I find that as the South, I don't really have a choice as iron and money is very scarce...

The logistics upgrade gives you more supply wagons for every battle, not bigger ones.
A very useful upgrade as fighting with too few supply wagons can really ruin your day, as you have noticed...

regards,

Briny

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 2
RE: And more questions... - 11/12/2008 7:53:54 AM   
haruntaiwan

You should be able to win the game by the time you have this kind of Cavalry division.

Cav. Leadership only affects Cav. Charges, I think, so really, you don't need them. I like generals with nice move bonus, and combat bonus.

You will always have the upgrade option no matter what the enemy gets.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 3
RE: And more questions... - 11/12/2008 9:34:50 AM   
2ndACR

Well, I could win the game against the AI with my Cav division, because it just can not cope with the tactic. I really only use my cavalry when the AI manages to break my lines or flank me........or gets the surprise attack on me. All bets are off then.

Okay, so even if the Union picks the Improved Springfield, then I should be able to pick it sooner or later too. Okay.

Well, I never cavalry charge, so I guess it is not that big a deal then.

Improved Logistics just moved up my list of must haves.

Well, I start off by impressing all the stuff I can on turn 1.........0nly 10% risk will I pick, unless there is a really good one like 40 labor for a 20% risk. I will take that one. That gives me a really good start pool, then I build 3 camps, and all the factories I can. Mines in all the sweet spots. I have the opposite problem, money is what kills me. I usually have 300+ labor, max horses, 300 guns, and 300+ iron by mid 1862. Money on the other hand hurts........never enough. And then the goods from Europe no matter how good I am doing starts to dry up, I only get horses, weapons and iron.......never money or labor.

I can usually have 2 artillery units that start at 5.0 and 4-6 cavalry brigades built by mid 62. I usually have 4 cavalry brigades built and armed with breachloaders about Jan 62. I use all the extra garrison troops for either replacements or to form new divisions, but mix in veterans to look after them.

But yes, I use the random feature.......adds flavor......but very wierd to have Lee in some backwater because he is so horrible. Had a 1 star wonder show up with excellent and superb across the board except no cavalry........instant army commander.

(in reply to haruntaiwan)
Post #: 4
RE: And more questions... - 11/12/2008 10:46:33 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

a)Okay, so even if the Union picks the Improved Springfield, then I should be able to pick it sooner or later too. Okay.

b)And then the goods from Europe no matter how good I am doing starts to dry up, I only get horses, weapons and iron.......never money or labor.

c)I use all the extra garrison troops for either replacements or to form new divisions, but mix in veterans to look after them.

a) Yup
b) European trade goods is linked to the diplomacy level I believe, higher diplomacy rating, higher yield. Having ports blockaded also reduces the ammount of goodies sent from Europe.
c)GARRs make killer units after a battle or two. I will usually have half of my Army of Virginia from GARRs.

200-300 casualties only from CAVs with Spencers? That is low imo, you attacking in line formation and from the rear? I tend to see casualties in the 600-800 with those lads (first round of fire at least)

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 5
RE: And more questions... - 11/12/2008 11:23:46 AM   
2ndACR

That was about an average.....I do see 6-800 range every now and then. Of course, sometimes, well alot of times, I will hit a unit from the side because they are flanking one of my infantry brigades. If I waited, I would be able to get around to the back, but I have found hitting them from the side and causing 300+ casualties is enough to usually make the unit break off it's attack.

I get leery of stripping too many garrisons out for field use. Never know when the AI might get slick with an end round. But they do get very good very quick. Awfully nice when the startup gives you 7-9 extra garrisons not counting the 9 that are alway in James River. I would say 6 there because I always leave 1 each there. But that gives me 12-14 extra brigades. I had my first Union Emancipation and boy howdy did it give me alot of troops. No firm count, but it looked like 8-10 great big seasoned brigades.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 6
RE: And more questions... - 11/12/2008 12:17:13 PM   
terje439

Yup, emancipation almost raises an entire army for the South
I once had Jackson's Corps filles only with GARRs from VA+Stonewall Brigade. Talk abut rallying around the Virginians

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 7
A Few Questions of my own - 11/12/2008 4:26:40 PM   
siRkid

1. Is it best for cavalry to charge in column or line formation?
2. How do you move a leader from one unit to another in detailed combat? (I did try to look for this in the manual BTW)
3. Why was a supply wagon able to inflict over 200 casualties on my cavalry unit when I charged it?
4. Is there a way to release garrison units in detailed combat?

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 8
RE: A Few Questions of my own - 11/12/2008 5:00:54 PM   
Ironclad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kid

1. Is it best for cavalry to charge in column or line formation?
Line.

2. How do you move a leader from one unit to another in detailed combat? (I did try to look for this in the manual BTW)
When a unit with a general to be transferred is the active unit place the cursor over the receiving unit and press G.

3. Why was a supply wagon able to inflict over 200 casualties on my cavalry unit when I charged it?
Would be a combination of comparative strengths, your formation, morale, intrinsic defense (teamsters fighting from their wagons) plus random effect.

4. Is there a way to release garrison units in detailed combat?
Press E when cursor over garrison unit.

< Message edited by Ironclad -- 11/12/2008 5:11:21 PM >

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 9
RE: And more questions... - 11/12/2008 5:27:24 PM   
Rexor

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

Okay.....do you lose upgrades as the other side gets theirs? Say if the Union gets Invalid Corp, do you lose that option? Because I am noticing my list of choices getting very small with only 1 choice sometimes.

I have noticed that troops that are fatigued will not dig in.......but they will once they rest up. I guess that is normal?

Cavalry.........love them, nothing better than giving them Spencer Carbines, Dragoon Tactics and rushing in, killing 3-400 in a volley and then running away again. Are they always so powerful?

I can crush 40,000 Union troops with a single division of cavalry with all 6 brigades with this method. Of course, cavalry was a potent force. My 1st Cavalry Division leads my army with 29,000 casualties caused to 1100 losses. They are all listed as Veterans and Zealous. Hard to find cavalry leaders though. I have only one so far found with a good rating. Not a single other one has been found.

Any way to grow one? As in place a ? leader in a Cav unit and will he get a cavalry rating?

Love this game.......But never use the brigade artillery to convert units.......they run at the slightest shot their way and sometimes before. I capture and build. I have built 2 artillery brigades and 8 cavalry brigades.........have captured 4 Union artillery units. I have 1 entire Div with 3 Art units and 3 Spencer Rifle equiped infantry brigades for security. They anchor my middle line. The computer just can not cope with that.

And a last one.......I have never seen my ammo wagons decrease in supply count, what good is the logistic upgrade that gives you the big supply wagon other than another supply wagon? But they are very important......just fought my first battle with a single supply wagon......was not fun........

2ndACR,
What difficulty level are you playing at? I've never been able to build that many cavalry and artillery units, along with factories, as the Confederacy. Of course, I'm hardly the world's best player, but that still seems like a stretch to me. I'm in awe.

"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe." (H.G. Wells)

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 10
RE: And more questions... - 11/12/2008 5:39:40 PM   
siRkid

Thanks!  Now to go kick some Yankee butt.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to Rexor)
Post #: 11
RE: And more questions... - 11/12/2008 5:47:56 PM   
Gil R.

The Union does get some good cavalry generals, but not at the outset. And some of their cavalry generals are 9-percenters, so you won't get them every game.

Custer comes along pretty late in the war and has some good numbers, for example.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 12
RE: And more questions... - 11/12/2008 10:51:42 PM   
2ndACR

Well, I was on 1st LT or was it 2nd LT..........playing with CSA +1 and Union normal..........now to try it with normal normal and see what happens.

Basically, I impress whatever I can on turn 1.........any money, iron, labor that is 20% or less risk. I do try for 60% success rate or better.......if I am lucky, only 1 area will go into unrest and I use 1-2 garrison units to quell it. That usually will give me 180 money, 120 labor, and 130 iron on turn 2. The only unit on high priority supply is Army of N Vir (my name) up north. The Memphis army is at normal and the 1st Div in Missori is on normal. Every one else gets placed to low priority. Saves me some.

On turn 2, I will usually start with 1 Cav unit and 2-3 factories.........depending on how my blockade runners do, either turn 2 or turn 3 is another Cav unit........rinse and repeat until I have 4 good Cav units. Then I begin building my Art units......1 at a time depending on how my blockade runners do. Labor allows me to crank out the mines in my resource areas. Factories crank out the labor. I have never added more than 4 camps anywhere. I have always gotten a 3-6 population increase in April 1862. I only build out of cities with poplulation at 4 or above. Never less than that. I have never built Infantry units. I will pull garrisons and try to take care of my troops.

I am always on the prowl of my cities looking for 70% and above with 20% and less risk for any goodies I need that can be grabbed. I will risk unrest. I fight purely defensive for the first year......things get alot better if Kentucky swings my way, because I can free up some horse farms for Iron. But I will make a move on Cincinatti if the Union leaves it open for attack. Mostly I am defensive, I will pull out of Memphis after beefing the fort up and allow the Union to bang it for a few turns to keep the numbers in my favor and then make a move on them. Since I own the province, I am the defender 90% of the time. But the AI seems to like to attack me even when he should be digging in and letting me attack him, so I go defensive on it.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 13
RE: And more questions... - 11/13/2008 12:35:14 PM   
Hard Sarge

hmmm, still looks like i am in the minorary on building troops, I impress on the first turn, but then, I build all my troops

I just don't think you get anything worth while, when you don't built them

and it is bad when impressed troops are worse then the Garrison troops you have, and with in reason, I don't pull out Garrison troops, they are your weak sisters for a reason

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 14
RE: And more questions... - 11/14/2008 2:34:55 AM   
2ndACR

I build Cavalry and Artillery only.........Garrison troops get very good after a few battles. You have to mix in some veterans to look after them though. I never have more than 2 green units in a division. Once the Garrison troops have reached the 4.0 category, I feel much better......takes a few battles though.

I use impressment for goods only.....never troops. I have done a few musters though.......very few and only in New Orleans.........usually only 1 Infantry unit. All others are from my Garrison units or if the Union goes Emancipation.......and then I will grab about 10-12 brigades that are all veteran quality.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 15
RE: And more questions... - 11/14/2008 3:42:35 AM   
haruntaiwan

One trick I just started using more is when you move one brigade with a general that adds movement, if you still have 2 left, you can transfer the general to the next unit in the division and then they get the bonus as well. Very useful when trying to catch prisoners.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 16
RE: And more questions... - 11/14/2008 5:33:26 AM   
Gil R.

Playing the South I usually keep garrison troops where they are until one of my armies suffers a heavy defeat and needs reinforcements. I then send in a few garrisons and disband them so as to bring my good troops back up to strength.

And historically, of course, did come from units on garrison duty sometimes (and other times, Lee asked for them but Davis refused the transfer).

(in reply to haruntaiwan)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> And more questions... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI