Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Hired Guns Reinforced

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> Mods >> RE: Hired Guns Reinforced Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/8/2009 7:43:06 PM   
rx178

Now, come to 1.2  with SCAR and FMJ Ammo! I love it! Oh I have to start new game again   Anyway Thank to you ,Reinforce.

I will wait to see nice camo mod from you. (Do you have other camo color beside pink? )

< Message edited by rx178 -- 1/8/2009 7:45:59 PM >

(in reply to Reinforce)
Post #: 91
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/8/2009 7:50:14 PM   
Reinforce

Working on the side on a tiger stripe style camo setup on the that'll be basicly black armor with a tiger stripeing undershirt and pants. That'll be a long while away though, Skinning.. art isn't one of the things I'm very good at and the texture size makes almost any pattern look grainy so I'll have to see what I can get. If nothing else though the poor texture size makes it easy to do digital patterns. :P

Here's a shot of what I mean about the textures... and what I did in about 10min after makeing the first part of this post. *sigh* I'll never get 1.3 out if photoshop keeps calling my name. Granted they look fine at my play distance. See the little insert in the bottem corner.. oh and she's angleing her head to fit in the box...

Notice as well the pockets and such have no texture at all. No pocket lines or anything. Thats pockets on the pants not the pouches and stuff for all my bullets and lewt. Sadly the only way to get a pattern reliably is to make layers paste over, pray, shrink, crop, move and hit save. Granted though who plays with there camra that close... Did anyone even notice you have pocket lines? Or little clips in your pouches. Or and that's a modded Camera btw, The numbers for it are over in the FOV post in the war room on these fourms for those of you who are going.. how did she get that close. Thanks to Mraah for starting that camera modding ball rolling. *Bows to Mraah*

And Pinks back in style. -_-

Much Love,
Reinforce

PS Woot 4 pages *does her happy dance*

< Message edited by Reinforce -- 1/9/2009 1:12:27 AM >

(in reply to rx178)
Post #: 92
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/9/2009 5:36:59 AM   
Mraah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reinforce
In your pokeing around Mraah did you happen to come across anything about weapon addons? I'm at my wits end with them.. at least added totaly new ones in a new field. I can get everything working right up to the installing then it breaks down and the little blocks you put the addons in goes red on me. Odd too I can get the shop to know that addon goes with that weapon but the installing into said weapon is killing me.

At the moment, I'm going to poke around the duckbill stuff and get back to you. I feel that's it's going to be a major PITA adding something that isn't jive with what there already is .... ie, beyond the basic attachments for a weapon, like sights, silencer, duckbills, scopes, blah blah.

Weapon add-ons may need a special value that makes it do-able with a certain class of weapon ... For instance, the duckbill ... this should only go on a shotgun so we can't drop in on an assault rifle ... Look for the switch in the xml that that allows it to be added on ... Perhaps the switch is out-of-order meaning you meant to add this but it's thinking you meant that or maybe it doesn't have a clue at what you're trying to add .... blah blah.

Go back to the basics ... one weapon/one addon ... and trace the errors back that way .. I dunno.

Rob

(in reply to Reinforce)
Post #: 93
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/9/2009 7:29:07 AM   
Segador

quote:

I was thinking to.. I might totaly break down and cry if Matrix makes a new patch that changes most of the files I've edited. I'll have to start replugging everything in over again... *shutter*

Be prepared because this is going to happen if ever they relase a new patch( a thing more unlikely to be as times passes whitout word of it).

(in reply to Reinforce)
Post #: 94
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/9/2009 12:33:56 PM   
Hard Sarge

back to recoil

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Segador)
Post #: 95
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/9/2009 1:51:23 PM   
Reinforce

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mraah

quote:

In your pokeing around Mraah did you happen to come across anything about weapon addons? I'm at my wits end with them.. at least added totaly new ones in a new field. I can get everything working right up to the installing then it breaks down and the little blocks you put the addons in goes red on me. Odd too I can get the shop to know that addon goes with that weapon but the installing into said weapon is killing me.

At the moment, I'm going to poke around the duckbill stuff and get back to you. I feel that's it's going to be a major PITA adding something that isn't jive with what there already is .... ie, beyond the basic attachments for a weapon, like sights, silencer, duckbills, scopes, blah blah.

Weapon add-ons may need a special value that makes it do-able with a certain class of weapon ... For instance, the duckbill ... this should only go on a shotgun so we can't drop in on an assault rifle ... Look for the switch in the xml that that allows it to be added on ... Perhaps the switch is out-of-order meaning you meant to add this but it's thinking you meant that or maybe it doesn't have a clue at what you're trying to add .... blah blah.

Go back to the basics ... one weapon/one addon ... and trace the errors back that way .. I dunno.

Rob

Ya I'm 95% sure your right that it's going to be a major PITA. I tried afew things last night and kept getting road blocks. Tried to make another Launcher that would take 6 20mm grenades. So I copied the Grenade Launcher we had, renamed it and added the 20mm ammo and tossed it on in game. No go, The weapon showed but for whatever reason it still wouldn't accept anything not the new 20mm not nothing. I've tried changeing about a dozen things, Heck I can't even get the launcher thats in the game to accept anything other then 40mm grenades. Odd if you don't add a weapon for the gl_type field in the weapon upgrades the game blows up.. which is good news. At least I know I need a weapon in the weapons file for it to work. :P

I did get an ACOG and Reflex sight in last night and they worked 100% I was even able to toss them on a handgun to make sure they could be mounted. Oh and I changed the scopes around don't shoot me. You'll need to wait for the update notes to see how. :P

I think for now I'll stick with what I know more Guns and ammo.. Oh and body armor I really need to get around to adding new vests. Speaking of body armor.. I was thinking of trying something alittle differant with it to see if it works. I was going to change the weight on it to a negative number and see if I could get it to subtract from your characters carrying weight. This would mostly be to represent a system for carrying things that would distribute the weight of your kit better.. I was hopeing to give people more slots. But sadly that's out of the question becouse the way it looks that would be a Major change to the game. So at best I can make your gear alittle lighter.. I kinda wish I could use a % value though.. Hmmmm

I also had this crazy idea this morning about seeing if I could add another field to the character skin files and see if I could get more skins for the players. Ala This is olive drab, This slot is Urban cammo and so on... Ah the crazy things I dream up why trying to sleep.

Anyways I got afew things to try and afew things I wanna add here so off I go. Thanks for the support too everyone, Makes this all worth while. =D

Much Love,
Reinforce

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 96
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/12/2009 10:10:56 AM   
Mus

The company that makes the .50 sniper rifles is Barrett, named after the founder and inventor Ronnie Barrett, NOT Beretta the Italian firearms manufacturer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Barrett

Will check out your mod looks like you are expanding the game a great deal.

Some of the details that are wrong in vanilla drive me crazy. For example a Glock 17 holds 17 rounds in the magazine, not 15. I would love to see some "fact checking" modifications done to this game.

< Message edited by Mus -- 1/12/2009 10:13:10 AM >

(in reply to Reinforce)
Post #: 97
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/12/2009 1:59:54 PM   
Reinforce

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mus

The company that makes the .50 sniper rifles is Barrett, named after the founder and inventor Ronnie Barrett, NOT Beretta the Italian firearms manufacturer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Barrett

Will check out your mod looks like you are expanding the game a great deal.

Some of the details that are wrong in vanilla drive me crazy. For example a Glock 17 holds 17 rounds in the magazine, not 15. I would love to see some "fact checking" modifications done to this game.

My bad I'll take the a off for the next up date. Must not of been paying attention for that one.

As for the Glock 17, I think the devs when they added that gave it a 15 round clip so they didn't have to fill the shop with all kinds of clips of differant sizes. Seeing as how so long as the ammo matchs you can load anything into anything. It just stream lines the game better to have basic clip sizes. So 5/10/15/20/25/30 so forth. Becouse in reality you should by all rights be able to keep 18 rounds in a Glock 17 or 31 rounds in all the assault rifles. Becouse you could have 1 chambred then reload the weapon with a fresh clip giving you one extra shot. I know myself I've added some weapons that should be able to take a 30/75 and 100 round mag. But I only give it the 30 just becouse I can't say ok this type of clip in this size can only work with this weapon. Sadly it's one of the short falls of this game.

Now I'm betting everyones wondering what I've been doing. Well let me tell you, I'm adding more WW2 era weapons to the game. Go BAR Rawr... I've been playing to much CoDWAW which I'm bad at. But still they are still used in some armys today mostly in a honor guard sense. Oh and some kinda militia capacity as well. So I'm adding a handful of them to fill the need for Single shot rifles semi-auto rifles. Along with some more modern weapons of dooom. Wish I could get a flame thrower but alas I cannot.

Oh and I tryed setting the game up to give more armor body models and that went boom. Not sure why but I did get an error message so that's good in a way. Error means I can see what the problem is. I've tossed it on the back burner though, Not important atm. I did get the armor to work as a negative number though. I gotta admit it's really a heavy handed way to go about doing what I wanted it to do though.

Oh and for all you questioning people out there this games in Metric not Imperial. That's why the Mercs can only called a weight of like 30-40 tops. That would be 66.2 to 88.2 pounds. (Please note I don't know what the real max a merc can carry is I'm faaaarrrr to lazy to do the math and add it all up.. right now.) So I hope that explains alittle more to everyone.

Much Love,
Reinforce

(in reply to Mus)
Post #: 98
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/16/2009 1:19:56 PM   
R@S

Slick Wilhelm reported some CTD's in another thread but I haven't experienced those yet. Must have to do with some syntax error on weapons that has been added, my guess is one of the guns you get later in the game. I've captured 10 sectors for Janus and no unusual CTD's. Or mebbe he's using a weapon I don't.

Eagerly awaiting your next update.

(in reply to Reinforce)
Post #: 99
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/18/2009 12:54:28 AM   
Reinforce

quote:

ORIGINAL: R@S

Slick Wilhelm reported some CTD's in another thread but I haven't experienced those yet. Must have to do with some syntax error on weapons that has been added, my guess is one of the guns you get later in the game. I've captured 10 sectors for Janus and no unusual CTD's. Or mebbe he's using a weapon I don't.

Eagerly awaiting your next update.

Ya I was just over reading that, I've never had a crash myself. Beyond when I crashed the game from something I did that I know crashed it. Beyond that though this games been solid like a rock for me. Modded or otherwise.

Oh and I R NOT DEAD! :P

I've just been really busy lately with RL stuff. *sigh* always jumps up at me.

I'm hopeing to have a new update out the end of next week with some new stuff... and I'm totaly changeing how shotguns work I don't care what people say they piss me off I want a close range weapon of doom. Well I won't make them that hardcore but I do plan on makeing them Better.. and changeing the payloads to make them more in line with there real world counter parts.

I'm also going to hopefuly get this done for the other 2 modes too this week... given I don't know how much longer I'll be modding at this. I'm alittle sick of only adding in weapons and the gear. Starting to run out of guns to add.. I can keep adding more guns.. it's just I basicly keep adding the same ones over and over. Only so many M4 types one can add befor it gets mind numbing... Damn I wish we had a Tool set so I could map and stuff... Ahh that would be sweet.

Much Love,
Reinforce

(in reply to R@S)
Post #: 100
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/18/2009 11:18:47 AM   
bugs

awesome work !!

(in reply to Reinforce)
Post #: 101
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/18/2009 4:21:43 PM   
Edgewise

I've been forum lurking since I bought the game.
  I have a few comments to make:
   First, excellent work on the mod, I've done alot of modding myself and know what a pain it can be, especially if it's a foriegn game.  Second, I'm glad you picked this game to mod despite it's condition since I'm a Jagged Alliance fan going back to the original game.  Don't bother trying to do model making unless you plan to do it professionally, it takes a long time to learn and unless you're getting paid, too much time imo.  However if you really want to learn for kicks, (like I did) look for blender as a powerful but not user friendly program, or sketchup as a user friendly but limited program. Both are free. Far better programs are available, but most cost big money, from hundreds to thousands.  You'll need a good computer too. :)

I disagree with your feelings about pistols, sub-machine guns and shotguns.  You can solo the game up to the road to the airport using little more than a sub-machine gun and shotgun combo. Put a silencer on your already quiet pistol/SMG and you can plink enemies to death from a bush or grass without giving away your possition. As long as you don't get too close, they enemy will look around but never see you as you kill them.  additionally, all SMG ammo will drop often enough that you'll likely never need to buy any.  Sooner or later you will have to move to a location where you get spotted or you might make a mistake while sneaking around, and find yourself getting swarmed.  This is where shotguns and grenades come in.  Shotguns rock at med and short range.  Take one single torso aimed shot per turn, and you should always hit.  At point blank you will destroy unarmored targets, and knock back/stun armored enemies.  At medium range firing down a narrow kill zone, you can hit 2-3 targets per blast.  You might do little damage if you don't break their armor, but when this happens it hits them for huge stamina loss. Get yourself behind a barrier and pop up taking one shot per turn as they rush in.  When you have 3-4 in close proximity, grenade time.  

A few requests:
  Make your mod available for the harder difficulties please. In easy, the number and quality of troops the AI sends to attack you is a joke.  You -never- need to do anything more than let mercs hold your territory for you, and you can go with a 2 man team through the entire game.  Additionally, arm all enemy troops better, and have them drop fewer weapons if possible.  Put the merc hiring costs back to the original numbers, so the player actually has to worry slightly about finances.  I know Venom is super cheap for her skills, but every jagged alliance game has one cheap super-soldier you can get early on.  Add a base of 5 or 10 to enemy camo value so you can't always pick them off at long range all the time. Maybe 20 for soldiers. Increase the size, quality, and frequency of counter attacks if possible.

General information spewage:
  I like what you did with the ammo, but would like to point out that 'AP' rounds for assault rifles in the normal game are FMJ rounds.  The standard FMJ round used by any rifle that fires a non-pistol round has good armor piercing properties which is why the basic game only has HP and AP rounds for high powered weapons.  BUT (yes gotta get a but in there) some companies do produce steel core ammo which is extremely expensive, rare, and in some cases experimental.  It makes sense that you could seperate these from other FMJ rounds, but I don't think they'd do less damage, just cost a -ton- and be very rare.  The biggest problem with most of these is that it's hard to get acceptable precision in the manufacturing process to make them on a large production scale, and they have a high dollar pricetag per round.  Also, as one would immagine, this ammo is illegal in most places so there is little reason for companies to produce these without a market for them. 

The caseless ammo should all be very expensive, of the AP variety, and not give a negative damage modifier since that ammo is special purpose AP ammo.  There should be no HP or normal variations, as they don't exist.  These are ONLY made by a couple companies for specific military customers.  The dictator could be one of them, possibly his elite troops.

You mentioned you were working on a red dot sight, one already exists in the game.  :D A 'possible' solution for your dual ammo type weapon: make the assault rifle with the primary ammo type, then a special attachment grenade launcher that fires the secondary ammo.  You probably already tried this, but if not maybe this will be a helpful comment.

HP ammo?! This is a big gripe of mine with all JA games.  I've never heard of HP ammo for any military rifles.  'Soft point' or 'deforming tip' ammo is as near as I can tell already factored in, which is why 5.56 ammo does as much damage as it does next to the much larger 7.62 ammo.  The tip bends over after penetration causing the bullet to tumble.  Other small rifle rounds also use this.  If you try to use an actual hollow point round similar to those available for pistols, it will come apart.  New flangable ammo is being developed that would in theory be similar to HP ammo, but as of right now, I just don't see any ammo that really does what HP ammo does that is used in anything bigger than a .22 rifle.

AP ammo for pistols and SMG's also makes me scratch my head.  There are a variety of different types of ammo designed to defeat body armor, and some pistols with high muzzel velocity are inately able to penetrate level one (as defined by US police forces) and in some cases level two body armor.  Teflon and glass coated bullets do NOT show any real improvement in penetration, but reduce wear on the weapon barrel.  The pistol rounds that have the best penetration are steel core rounds, extremely expensive and in most places illegal.  Again, I don't see them doing any less damage than a normal slug however.

(in reply to bugs)
Post #: 102
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/18/2009 10:29:46 PM   
Reinforce

I plan on hopefuly getting this out for the other modes this week.. oddly it's going to be a super small change to add it over.. given there's almost no differance between the mode levels in terms of weapons. Other then 5 meters shorter range the Top mode. Everything that makes the mode "harder" is the AI's have better stats which I never touched and the AI is smarter in the higher modes which I was thinking of changeing to make them just as smart in all modes. That'll be optional if I do however and I wont put it in the main body of the file.

As for the FMJ, HP and AP rounds Wikipedia has alittle list of ammo for the 5.56x45 NATO round at the bottem of the page there and it lists ball ammo along with Armor Piercing. No HP though but I could see people turning the bullet around and putting the flat side out. No idea if that would work in a Gas operated AR though, Only count that I know of soldiers doing that was in the trench fighting of WW1 with Bolt Action rifles. Hunting ammo too I guess, But then that would be Bolt action weapons mostly as well. Don't see many deer hunters with ARs.. Unless they're hunting todays super animals like the Flying Squirrel.. what? It can FLY! It's super... ahhh ok I'll be good.

I sadly tried to make a new launcher and have yet to be able to get it to accept any ammo. Makes me sad too I wanted new stuff. Ya the scope in the game was the "red dot" I've however changed things around by adding a Reflex sight witch dosn't change the weapons range but makes it cheaper to fire and alittle more acc. Bascily an Iron sight replacement. Then there's the Red dot thats in the game makes for a better shot and alittle more range but is a basic shot cost. Added teh ACOG which is a more costly per shot scope but adds much better range and ACC and lastly there's the sniper scope which wasn't changed. I wanted to add more of a curve to the scopes. So now it's cheap and fast or Expensive and good. Did that last week and was about the last thing I had time to do befor RL got me, Worked really well imo when I tested it.

Much Love,
Reinforce

(in reply to Edgewise)
Post #: 103
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/18/2009 11:55:21 PM   
Edgewise

If you look closely at military nominclature, ball and armor-piercing are often interchanged or used together to describe the same ammo.  In some calibers however, they are have distinctly different manifestations. In most cases, ball ammo is simply the standard military type of ammo.  Generally, Military forces want weapons that will kill their enemy, which means defeating whatever body armor they are using.  If you look at the historical developement of the 5.56 cartridge, you will find that it's actually gone through alot of changes.  The the current standard ammo is called 'ball' but that model number used to be called armor piercing back when the last type of standard 5.56 ammo was being phaised out.  At some point another 5.56 with better range/penetration capability will be developed, it will be designated as AP until it becomes standardized, then it will just be ball.  The most recent AP round that I am aware of was actually not the type of AP round I described earlier.  It uses a tungsten carbide tip which resists heat better than the older bullet.  It has the same penetration abilities at close range, but at longer ranges, the older tip gets softer from air friction, reducing it's effectiveness.  I don't know if this round ever went into wide scale production.  Also, the penetration improvement is not really changed vs body armor.  It will punch through walls, cinder blocks, etc. things people typically hide behind better than the normal round, but again, this improvement is at longer ranges and not an 'in general' thing.

The AP rounds I was talking about are vastly better than either of these in penetration potential at any range, but it's also not economical to produce. I know some enthusiasts with the ability to make their own ammo, but this requires owning or having unrestricted access to a lathe and milling machine and the skills to use them. (did I mention I'm a machinist? :P)  Buying this type of ammo on the market is.... well, illegal, and extremely expensive.  It is made though, but generally for very limited and specialized military use.  Tbh I don't even know who uses it, but I do know that it can be and is made on a small scale.

HP. bullets backwards...  well, high velocity bullets all tend to have a very similar shape for several good reasons. Friction is the principle reason, or lack there of. most other reasons for the shape are derivatives of this reason.  The shape reduces friction which reduces the rate at which the bullet looses velocity/energy, so it goes further and hits harder when it gets there. It also slides through body armor more easily for this reason, just as a hot high velocity sharp knife cuts easily through cold butter and a slow moving spoon... not so much.  I know of people who have attempted to make radical changes to the shape of high velocity rounds, and it's generally not pretty.  Changing the shape much will in the best case, turn your high velocity round into a low velocity round as friction drastically slows it down.  This is likely to dramatically effect accuracy as well, even at relatively short ranges of 100 meters.  In a worst case situation, the friction litterally rips the bullet apart, sending a spray of shrapnel out of your weapon that looks like so much metal confetti. Kinda damn funny I must say.  If you own a high velocity weapon, shoot downward into a barrel of water and you'll get a similar result.

(in reply to Reinforce)
Post #: 104
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/19/2009 4:28:57 AM   
Tagwyn

I beg your pardon. It seems you have not changed the basic nature of the game at all. If I find the baddies, I kill them. They are not too bad so far. I do not like the mix of Mercs!! I wouldn't hire any of them to help me across the street. Can't we have some of those great mercs from JA2 back? t

(in reply to Reinforce)
Post #: 105
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/19/2009 2:55:47 PM   
Edgewise

The original post on this thread indicates exactly what was and wasn't changed, so not sure what you were expecting to be different.  Messing with the code of a game written in Russian isn't exactly easy for someone who can't read it, so I wouldn't expect a casual mod maker to make any major changes.  As for the Mercs... Dude! JA2 Mercs are mostly also JA1 Mercs.  If they were 'vetrans' back in 1990, today they're getting hip replacements, senior discounts, and collecting social security checks.  Do you -really- want Scope at age 60?  Some of them would be younger, in their 40's, but most would definitely be over what is considered 'normal' age for combat operations. 

(in reply to Tagwyn)
Post #: 106
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/20/2009 4:50:14 PM   
LimeyBugger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tagwyn

Can't we have some of those great mercs from JA2 back? t

They don't have the JA license. Strategy First owns the copyright for those mercs. HG has nothing to do with the JA franchise, as far as I can see.

JA3, as far as I can see, is scheduled for Q1 2010 release. Developed by F3 games. Still listed as "in development".

http://en.akella.com/Game.aspx?id=23

Not sure about whether or not Reinforce could mod the mercs to replace some with an unofficial mod. Maybe the lady could pipe up with that?

(in reply to Tagwyn)
Post #: 107
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/20/2009 6:45:26 PM   
Reinforce

So I had this big long bugger off with JA already rant all typed in but I felt it was alittle to nasty to send out. Just do me a favor don't bring up JA2 in this thread I've never played JA2 nore do I care too. If you want JA2 go buy JA2. I'm modding Hired guns as I see fit with imput from the public. If you want to go on about JA this and JA that by all means see one of the dozens of posts that have gone wildly off topic becouse of the frezied JA2 Fans out there that have come here expecting this to be there next Massiah of the UGOIGO Merc gameing world.

Thankfuly the support I've gotten from people has helped me do what I've wanted to do, and I'm thankful. But as I've been told by one of my most helpful fourm dwellers this mods being made by me and if I don't enjoy it whats the point. So I'll keep makeing the changes I want to make. If you would ready threw this full posting all 4 pages now you'll see just what all I've done. I keep very accurate notes in the main post as to whats been changed. I suggest anyone who wants to know what I've done

Now onwards with what I got planned. So much to do so little time.

If Nothing else I do plan on a merc change. I'm going to change it so everyone works together reguardless, I really hate how I'm offering to pay someone big money and he whines "Oh I don't like them there Britshish/American" whatever. I honestly don't care what you don't like to play with in the local school yard this isn't grade 1, I'm fighting a war damnit I don't need there lip. Also as for what they say and such Idk I'm deaf unless it's subtitled in text I don't know or care about it. I also plan on eather droping out some of the junkie mercs with little to no skill in anything and putting in someone alittle better or I may just change the training system so you can train easier/faster.. trainings another bone I have to pick with this game. I really feel we should be able to train the mercs faster.. and with the changes I have/am doing to the AI you kinda need more skilled mercs now. Oddly easier to mess with the AIs brain then I thought it would be. Bwhahahaha brain Surgery with an Ice Cream Scoop. Oh and I gotta fix Jabba he's set to 0 for his pay, Poor guys slave labor.

Them 40mm genade launchers have been a annoyance as well.. Been trying to pull the Line of sight chack out of them for awhile now. But I haven't had much luck finding where the checks for it though.. Wonder if I could se the weapons to grenades... our would that just make it so you throw your weapon at the target and it would explode.. not that that wouldn't be cool though.

Also.. can't belive I'm this crazy, Thinking about editing the Tangos kits. That's going to be a _huge_ job the things file is a massive nightmarish hole of vial endless darkness that has a +5 VS Reinforce. x_x
But I do wanna try and change up the weapons abit... I kinda want to see the AI with some RPGs and stuff if only to make the game harder and more sporting. This will more then likely happen after the next patch.. I been thinking alot about it and I think I'm done with adding weapons I'll toss in adozen or so more but then I'm done with them, Starting to get to a point where I'm just putting a new coat of paint on the same old Bike, Sure it looks nice but it does the same thing.

I do have plans though for a host of new Throwen things that go boom. Not sure what all I can do though but I find them modeled wrong imo. I really wish they worked like the ones in Silent Storm. They had Blast damage to an area then a Number of Fragments and a range they went out too. Was neat. But alas I'm stuck with 1 number for damage and a blast area. Oddly the 40mm's and RPG rounds are much better detailed for blast damage and damage drop off in the radius. Good old Google translator where would I be without you. Odd too this games annoying that way though, Some things are super well detailed and others are just bla friday night job get it in get it working and we're gtg.

Handguns, Shotguns, Carbines and Rifles are getting a face lift too. Not going to go into detail yet as it's mostly just bath time rambleings atm, I haven't put anything into practice. So I'll just say they're getting changed and leave it at that for now.

Much Love,
Reinforce

PS Sorry for being quiet lately been busy and some of the fourm chatter scares me off from posting. Blasted people are there hyper realism it's a game dangit have fun laugh alittle. -_-

(in reply to LimeyBugger)
Post #: 108
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/20/2009 9:41:05 PM   
LimeyBugger

quote:

[insert JA2 rant here]

Put the machete away! I just tried to clarify a question.

quote:

If Nothing else I do plan on a merc change.

Does that include changing their portraits, voices, etc? Can that be modded? Or are you just changing their stats and hatreds?

quote:

Oddly easier to mess with the AIs brain then I thought it would be. Bwhahahaha brain Surgery with an Ice Cream Scoop.

That's bizarre. I'd never have expected them to put any behavior in moddable files. I expected it to all be hard-coded. Well done. I can only imagine what you've come to love the load times in testing your changes!

Is it possible to leash them to certain areas - for example, to force a roof-top sniper to STAY on the roof?

quote:

I'll toss in adozen or so more but then I'm done with them, Starting to get to a point where I'm just putting a new coat of paint on the same old Bike, Sure it looks nice but it does the same thing.

Is it really worth adding a pile of weapons, only a few of which add anything? Doesn't that mean you have to fiddle with DJ's sale list and the gear of every NPC... or are those both entirely random, taken from the loaded weapon tables?

quote:

Handguns, Shotguns, Carbines and Rifles are getting a face lift too.

Can shotguns be modded to give them auto-fire? I'm thinking of a double-barreled shotgun, where "auto fire" means giving them both barrels.

quote:

PS Sorry for being quiet lately been busy and some of the fourm chatter scares me off from posting. Blasted people are there hyper realism it's a game dangit have fun laugh alittle. -_-

My apologies - I'm sure that I'm part of the cause of that.

(in reply to Reinforce)
Post #: 109
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/20/2009 11:42:49 PM   
Reinforce

Rant wasn't you LimeyBugger, Oddly I didn't even think about that or thank you for steping up how you did. I have been getting PMs and such about it as well. So I made the post here nice and clear about what I am not and will not be doing. I am sorry it came off as an attack on you, Oh and I'm not a Machete Kind of girl I like combat Knives. :P

Changes to the mercs will be stats and Hatreds. Don't know if I'll change there pics. I like how most of them look. What I really really wish is I could add another page or two of mercs to give a bigger selection.. or add in the average generic Faceless Merc so people can play Ironman style. Audio changes are beyond me I'm deaf, Just be thankful the weapons have sounds. :P

I was suprized as well about the AI being in text files.. well Lua files that can be opened with text files. Sadly I don't think I can do anything like your example. It's mostly just if PC bla then NPC will Bla 0.4, Which is bascily meaning if the PC is doing whatever then the NPC will do whatever 40ish percent of the time. I'm mostly just going to set the game so it uses the Hardmode AI in all modes with afew tweeks so yes the AI will shoot your wounded Dieing mercs and they will use Med Kits to heal themselfs, They should based on what this all says here in the files shoot more often and make "smarter" choices sadly though the AI is still pretty dumb but I'll see what I can do. Not going to get no Chess playing Super computer out of this.. but that would be cool. I'll at best try to make them make better choices about things.

Oddly I have no issues with load time. I can boot from my desk top and be look at the over world map in about 10-15 seconds. Takes me about 3-5 seconds to load into the tactical level. I just have about 200 saves and around 1000 screen shots... Ya my screen shot folder is about 8 gigs in Size.. I'm sure I got a screenshot of whatever your looking for in here.

Adding weapons is a mixed bag of annoying and tedius. Adding totaly new like I have been I need to add it into the weapons table. Add it to the sales list and give it a text file that tells you details about it and what addons it can take.. which is pretty usless for the most part but part of the emerssion. Make the Icon for it in photoshop as a PNG, Change that PNG to a TGA. Make sure the icon works in game. Then I need to after testing becouse most weapons are only tested on the first map by me. I need to set what Phase of the game it shows up in and then lastly I need to set how rare it is in that phase. Phases are set up I think based on what missions you do. Like if you start the game your in Phase 0 of the game. Once you take eather the dan or the trainyard your in Phase 1 you'll get an E-mail at this point telling you the shops been updated by weapons that are approved for use by the American and Canadian forces.. and more Russian guns get added that neather of those countrys use. So I got no idea what it's blabbing about. Eather way those E-mails basicly say you've changed Phases. Almost every weapon shows up by phase 3. And there rareity is between 0 for never showing (I modded this min rareity is 2 now see mod notes) to 10. It can be set higher then 10 but even set to 20-50 stuff dosn't showup 100% of the time so there's some kinda random value for this that I can't see or haven't found.

I can give anything a burst. Hell I made a burst fireing RPG-7 just becouse I could. That's not in the mode though I just wanted to see what it would look like. :P
There is a shotgun atm with a burst fire mode Dragon comes with it, The Neostead, Which oddly enough isn't an Automatic shotgun in real life based on my findings, It's a pump action dual mag shotgun with a selector switch to change between it's two mags. So you could load 6 slugs and 6 buckshot. But the game makes it a burst fire shotgun... for whatever reason. It's real life version is a pump action.. with 12 rounds but I think they gave it 10 in game to streamline the shotgun ammo. So they could just make 1 stack of 10 rounds and be done with it. Less of a headach. Kinda like the Glock 17. *Points up to post 98*
So yes I can make a double berral shotgun. However they would fire at the same second they'll fire like all the other burst weapons, I had planned on alittle sawed off double berral for them close encounters.

Oddly too this games set up with 3 fire modes in the weapons tables. There's Single, Burst and Auto. But it seems Auto was cut. Makes me sad becouse I added the KRISS Vector SMG the other day but ended up giveing it only a 2 round burst. Becouse the weapons eather Single, 2rBurst or Full auto. But I didn't want to skip over the 2rBurst I think this game needs more weapons with small bursts. Really hate all the 5-6 round bursts on alot of the SMGs. I know there full auto with insane fireing speeds but it's honestly a huge waste of ammo.

Part of what I wanna do is balance the burst costs better, I find it stupid that it costs me 10 AP to fire a 3 round burst on a C7A1 that has a selective fire modes. Is fireing a 3 round burst on the pull of a trigger really costing me 5 more AP? is it really that much harder? To pull the trigger once. So what I've been thinking and planning on doing is setting it so whatever the single shot cost is the burst will cost anumber of AP more = to the number of bullets fired (Half the number of bullets fired for MGs/LMGs) So the C7A1 will cost 5 AP for a single shot and 8 AP for a Burst. This will also help free up alittle AP as well as make burst fire more attractive. I know myself I never use Burst becouse it costs to much for what I get. Hell I've cleared alot of maps out with a 6 person team and never had to reload anyones weapons becouse all I use is Single shot with 30 round mags. This change I've already mucked about with but never kept, Was fun though the AI shoots back more becouse it effects there AP costs too makeing for alittle toughter fire fights. Oh and the APS and Glock 17 already use this style of AP cost in vanilla, So I'm just going to drag it across to the other weapons.

Also going to give a double tap burst to pretty well all the handguns so you can cap off 2 bullets quick for alittle more AP then a single shot. Rifles are more then likely going to get this too, Well the Semi-auto ones anyway. So your not getting Double taps on bolt action weapons they will however be more accurate and longer ranged to make up for this.. but I don't think there are any bolt actions in this game save for sniper rifles... note to self add in joe average Enfield.

Anyways you'll need to see the mod notes when I toss it up here in afew days. I'm hopeing Saturday so long as my real life stays away.. I got holy water dangit and I'm not afeared to use it. *Hissssss* (Afeared is totaly a word.)

Much Love,
Reinforce

Post #: 110
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/22/2009 3:07:17 PM   
Edgewise

I got in touch with some of my gun freak friends yesterday (I don't live in Texas anymore...) who have told me that they were able to get a hollow-point .30-06 round to 4000 fps muzzel velocity. I think that was probably a slight exageration since normal muzzel velocity for .30-06 round is closer to 2700, and because I know them. :)  Therefore I stand corrected, you CAN make hollow-point high velocity ammo.  I continued digging on this subject to find out why it's limited to so few sizes and why no military sized cartridges.  I guess it's still being worked on for most hunting rifle sizes, and should be available for any type of bolt action within the next few years.  But all I could get as to why no assault rifle ammo was that it's not reliable enough.  No idea what in particular it is that makes it unreliable, one person mentioned jamming, but I imagine that it will make an appearance in more military sizes as these issues are overcome.  I would still recommend not using it for NPC's though because they seem gimped enough without ammo that will almost never penetrate your mercs body armor.

(in reply to Reinforce)
Post #: 111
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/23/2009 10:49:34 AM   
LimeyBugger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edgewise

But all I could get as to why no assault rifle ammo was that it's not reliable enough.

No market for it, from the military. Why bother developing something that no NATO member will purchase? NATO doesn't use HP.

(in reply to Edgewise)
Post #: 112
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/23/2009 2:46:13 PM   
Edgewise

The military always developes crap they never use and know they won't use... sometimes it leads to some other technology I think is part of the rationale.  Kenetic energy kill anti-tank missles that are obscenely expensive, very unlikely to ever be produced but they did pay to develope them, and a rediculous sum was spent on the Crusader mobile artillery developement which was never produced.  I'd say it's likely to be developed but very unlikely to ever be used because the 5.56 already has issues penetrating certain materials.  If it is used, I'd bet it would be a round made for the M249, not M-16 and be a ratio in a belt of ammo like tracer rounds are, 1 in 5 or some such.

Post #: 113
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/24/2009 8:35:56 PM   
Reinforce

Play testing the AI and AP changes today.. Working out pretty good but it's annoying when the AI shoots the wounded and forces me to reload my game. They move up to get better shots, They also kneel alot more often... don't go prone much though at least not on any of the maps I've been on yet. I changed the shotguns around abit too. More accurate mostly. Not super amounts but you can hit something now and then. Over all they're about 15% more Accurate then they used to be.. Still trash for long range but since I lowered there AP cost abit they work alot better imo. Only it seems the games set up so only 1 pellet in a shot from Buckshot will hit one target. I've been playing with this for afew hours now and I have yet to hit someone more then once with buckshot. Kinda makes me sad... or I'm just blind.. or the game does it's math funnt. Eather way thats how it seems.

I should be worried though in 3 real world hours I've taken almost half the map... I play this to much. Anyways few more tests another play threw and such and I should be ready to post. Not going to give a solid time/day for that as I have no idea when. There's still more I wanna get done befor I post it. This is just alittle update.

Much Love,
Reinforce

(in reply to Edgewise)
Post #: 114
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/24/2009 9:03:59 PM   
Edgewise

quote:

I should be worried though in 3 real world hours I've taken almost half the map...
More than anything, this is my big issue with the game.  Too easy. :P  A full game imo should last at least a couple days on harder settings.  AP change to shotgun will make a huge dif.  Instead of messing with accuracy on the shotguns, the best way imo to make more pellets hit would be to decrease their spread rate.  You probably already did that, but maybe not. :)

Edit: In any event, please post when you're done with the patch for the hard difficulties, I've had to resort to playing patrician 3 for my weekend strategy requirements. :P Old but good. :D Matrix should look at finding someone to make a newer near-version of that game *hopes* So simple, yet I can't stop playin it.

< Message edited by Edgewise -- 1/24/2009 9:15:58 PM >

(in reply to Reinforce)
Post #: 115
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/24/2009 9:58:38 PM   
R@S

I have a small request Reinforce. In your current mod the G36 has a range of 100(95) with a laser while the G36C has a range of 110(80) with laser and sight attachments. This is a bit wierd since the G36 is supposed to have a 1.5x and a 3.5x scope and a longer barrel.This will be even more "unfair" when you implement the ACOG sights making rifles with pictinny rails more advantageous, rangewise(Is that a word?). The G36 should have about the same range as rifles with ACOG sights. This goes for the L85A1 as well. This might be to picky on my part but I really like the G36 and would like it to be competitive with similar AR's.

P.S. I really love the Bushmaster you've added. It's my new favorite

(in reply to Edgewise)
Post #: 116
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/24/2009 10:34:48 PM   
Reinforce

G36C is getting a range "nerf" next update. It's getting abit taken off it's range along with all the rest of the Carbines. They shouldn't have the same range as the full on ARs imo. Also yes I do plan on boosting the range of Scoped rifles abit, They already have a boost but it's not enough imo. Your right in saying a rifle with a scope addon is far better to the rifles with the scopes. Although last time I looked isn't the G36 class of weapons able to have that so called "built in" scope taken off?

Also Lasers been "nerfed" it dosn't add range anymore that's just kinda retarded imo as well. If you could see alittle red dot threw and Iron sight at 100 meters I'd be hella impressed. Also most of the scopes would render the laser useless. Also mounted the laser is more likely to be off at long ranges like that. Please keep in mind 100 meters is around 328 feet 1 inch. I don't know about the rest of you but alittle red dot the size of a pen head isn't going to help me. Oh and even though you get better range out of the G36C it's still not as ACC as the G36... however the scope makes it better. I've changed the scopes as well I went over that in post 103 full notes will be given out when I finish up.. thinking I may weaken how much ACC boost they add.. Depends. No point in useing Sniper rifles half the time the maps arn't that big, You can get by with scoped ARs... granted nothing says hello like a .50. So I changed the scopes around to bring there range down, To make super rifles more apealing for long range combat.

Been playing about with the files today too. I think I'm close to figureing out how to make a "night" map... or at least set some of the maps we have to Night and have them dark.. Granted that might do jack but hey it'll look cool. I'll keep ya's posted on what I manage to kill... I'm 90% sure this'll blow my game up but you gotta try.

Much Love,
Reinforce

(in reply to R@S)
Post #: 117
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/24/2009 10:45:41 PM   
Mraah

Reinforce,

Howdy,

I know you're probably up to your elbows in work but ... Has anyone mentioned this handgun to you :

MODEL 4510 .45/.410 (2.5" CHAMBER) STAINLESS STEEL REVOLVER

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=199&category=Revolver

Snipet from description : Capable of chambering both .410 2-1/2" shotshell and .45 Colt Ammunition, this amazing combo gun is ideal for short distances.

In other words ... this might make a sweet personal weapon a merc might have from the start (via buy equipment) ... whereas it can shoot shotgun type ammo at close range .

Heck, it might come in handy when we have to clear those nasty fence obstacles.

Rob

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Reinforce)
Post #: 118
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/24/2009 11:59:42 PM   
Mraah

Reinforce,

Ok .... ... I found the data files regarding the strategy side of the game .... ie, spawns, patrols, blah blah blah.

The big folder to look for more goodies is called \basis\campaigns\JAZZ ...

The file you want is called STRATEGY.lua .... Boy, that was easy, huh? ... .

Below is a snipet of two functions that might interest you ... Note, there are yet MORE goodies ... Did I ever tell you that modding this game is endless? ... I used BOLD to show you the two functions :

quote:

function updateGameStage()
local log_id = "game_stage"
local sectors = sectorsUnderControl(PLAYER)

log(log_id, "update", "sectors:", sectors, "kill count:", KILL_COUNT)

if (sectors > (3 * (GAME_STAGE + 1))) then
log(log_id, "update", "sectors >", tostring(3 * (GAME_STAGE + 1)))
GAME_STAGE = GAME_STAGE + 1
initMercs(true)
setGameStage(GAME_STAGE)
log(log_id, "update", "new game stage:", GAME_STAGE)
sendMail("change_stage", nil, nil, true)
--Emails["change_stage"].send(true)
elseif (KILL_COUNT > (250 * (GAME_STAGE + 1))) then
log(log_id, "update", "kill count >", tostring((GAME_STAGE + 1) * 250))
GAME_STAGE = GAME_STAGE + 1
initMercs(true)
setGameStage(GAME_STAGE)
log(log_id, "update", "new game stage:", GAME_STAGE)
sendMail("change_stage", nil, nil, true)
--Emails["change_stage"].send(true)
end

end

function mobilizationUpdate()
local s = Sectors
local current_force = ""

local update = function(sector, data)

if (data.owner == current_force) then
local militia_info = getMilitiaInfo(sector)

if ((militia_info.num < 20) and (militia_info.num > 0)) then
for slot = 1, 4, 1 do
if ((militia_info[slot].num < 5) and (militia_info[slot].mtype ~= nil)) then
if (Pool[current_force].current > 0) then
if (militia_info[slot].mtype == nil) then
militia_info[slot].mtype = current_force
end
--log("!slot_to_reduce", "mobilizationUpdate", sector, slot, militia_info[slot].num)
setMilitia2(sector, slot, militia_info[slot].mtype, militia_info[slot].num + 1)
Pool[current_force].current = Pool[current_force].current - 1
end
end
end
end
end

end

local thru = function(force, data)
if ((force ~= CIVILIAN) and (force ~= PLAYER)) then
current_force = force
table.foreach(s, update)
end
end

table.foreach(Forces, thru)
end

< Message edited by Mraah -- 1/25/2009 12:06:54 AM >

(in reply to Reinforce)
Post #: 119
RE: Hired Guns Reinforced - 1/25/2009 12:37:09 AM   
Reinforce

Ugh, Code.. might as well be chinese. This looks like something I'll need to poke with a stick and see what does what.. I'll leave it alone.. for now. Odd though I thought there would be one for the Marauders and Butsi as well as the Dictator and Janus. Or this could just be the global value for them all. *sits back and braids her hair* I'll need to think on this.

Back to playtesting with me.. Game hasn't crashed yet so that's a good thing. :P

Much Love,
Reinforce

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> Mods >> RE: Hired Guns Reinforced Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI