Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 11/9/2000 8:34:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Thanks gentlemen! I appreciate the update. Pace yourselves, you have a long way to get to the Rhine and past it ...WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 31
- 11/10/2000 12:05:00 AM   
deggo

*SPOILER* I dropped 4 plattons of airborne and two inf AT sections to capture the foreward objectives and hold on till my main force got their. The German column kept me from getting the center objective just west of Born and chased a few platoons out of the west end of town. My airborn was driven off the southern most objective till my infantry and some of my armor got there and finished off the Stugs and tanks that got through. My Jumbo 76 section and Jackson section sat in the road west of Born and nailed pretty much everything that kept moving west. I thought I was in trouble when the Jagdtigers trundled out of the smoke but two bazooka teams assaulted without any rockets and immobilized one and damaged the suspension on the other. Cramming bazooka teams in the transports with the airborne really comes in handy even if it's not realistic. Scott

Scott

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 32
- 11/10/2000 12:51:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Hey, it's war, Scott. Ho holds barred WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 33
- 11/10/2000 9:08:00 PM   
deggo

*SPOILER* I just finished the Five Points battle and could only manage a draw. I was wondering if I missed something. I thought that the breifing said there were some cut off and out of communication infantry holding out there? I guess it said they assumed they were still holding out. No way I could get by those Jagdtigers without taking real heavy losses the way I approached. Scott

Scott

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 34
- 11/10/2000 10:04:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Poor intelligence. Unheard of in this man's army I have been known to put in a tiny bit of misleading information...rare, but it does happen. Historically the tank units were told the same thing and had the same kind of greeting. This is one of the toughest battles of the campaign, so the only thing you missed was a decisive and most people miss that in Five Points. (Now watch someone call my hand on that! ) WB ===================== ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games [This message has been edited by Wild Bill (edited November 10, 2000).]

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 35
- 11/10/2000 10:24:00 PM   
Securitas

I am in the first scenario of the Utah campaign and I noticed that regular infantry removes mines. Are they supposed to? Is it not the engineers who do that? If it can be others, who CAN do it? Cavalry? Pioneers? Scouts? Special Forces?

Securitas _________________________ 88 is a really nice number

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 36
- 11/11/2000 12:03:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Almost any infantry (just as in real war) can remove mines. I am not sure about weapons teams. The benefit of engineers is that they detect them quicker, remove them quicker and more efficiently. They can also lay mines, which regular infantry cannot do, Securitas. Be glad they can Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 37
- 11/11/2000 2:57:00 AM   
Securitas

I noticed also that when I placed my preregistered targets on the map, I could not place more than 5. Is this normal? I was used to the 10 from the previous Steel Panthers Games.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 38
- 11/11/2000 3:16:00 AM   
Tombstone

This game uses the SP3 engine, which limited the number of pre-registered artillery hexes based on the size or the battle. 5 Points is a real shock and resulted in a painful, desperate battle. Those JagdTigers are pretty scary. The thing about 128mm cannon is that it butchers infantry as well as popping tanks like bubble wrap. Luckily my tank crews survived the experience. It's really cool when you make the extra effort to save your tank crews in the game. In a campaign it's perfect, your own men's safety is actually a concern. Not just the objective. In Utah to the Rhine I took lesser victory results a couple times to preserve my men. Tomo

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 39
- 11/11/2000 6:52:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Excellent point, Tomo. From the first battle you begin to see personalities develop, or so it appears, and you begin cheering for certain of your guys, hoping they'll make the Hero page on Tankhead's site and receive a medal to boot! We all start having our own "Audie Murphy's," "Wittmann's," WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 40
- 11/11/2000 7:08:00 AM   
Wild Bill

When you are done with this one, we'll be moving you to the East Front, so pack your winter gear! WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 41
- 11/13/2000 2:35:00 AM   
Leibstandarte

Wild Bill, Just got done with the last battle in this campaign. Boy oh boy was it intense. I am putting my finishinf touches on a complete and detailed AAR. Once I get it finished (not much free time naturally) I'll send it to you. If you would post it on the AAR site at Matrix that would be great. Feel free to post whatever you like of it here as well. Talk to you later, GREAT Campaign. ------------------ Cavalry Trooper (8th US) and Grandson of a Leibstandarte Tanker.

Cavalry Trooper (8th US) and Grandson of a Leibstandarte Tanker.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 42
- 11/13/2000 3:02:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Great! We'd love to have the AAR. I'll be dropping you a note on how to format it, the form we use. Any screenshots would be good too. But I'll spell that out for you, Jason. Look for a letter shortly...WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 43
- 11/13/2000 4:55:00 AM   
Tiger

I'm on battle 4. I've fought the battle twice now, both times to a draw. All those blasted AT pillboxes, Log pits, and mines, mines, mines!! My units consist of a platoon of Shermans, a platoon of Wolverines, engineer, and rifle units. This last attempt I dropped in a Ranger company, and their handiwork helped, but wasn't decisive enough to turn the tide. I lost 3 Wolverines to mines, and 2 of my Shermans were immobilized. By the time I got them back into action, it was too late. Those at pillboxes and log pits always manage to delay me long enough to prevent me from consolidating any of my gains and capitalizing on them. I did manage to pulverize the infantry holding up in the town, so the Germans weren't able to mount a strong counterattack. But it was turn 19 by the time I was ready to move to points North and West of the town, too little, too late. I think I am going to lick my wounds and move on to the withdrawal. Most fun I have had yet, Bill. But I have a serious case of heartburn. Man, this one was NASTY!!

I ain't no golden boy,
ain't no Grecian dancer,
and I ain't no loud mouth cowboy from the West...
I'm not the kind of man with all the answers, but I surely know the songs that suit me best.... LL

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 44
- 11/13/2000 5:46:00 AM   
RUsco

Gee Bill, Between you and Merauder Mel I haven't had time to play. I do have great fun testing though.(Hint-hint, I need more work). About the Eastern Front"Watchword Freedom, are you guys in for a real case of heartburn.Just watch out for Wild Bill's treachory though.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 45
- 11/13/2000 8:32:00 AM   
Securitas

I am trying to design a map. I cannot find in the game manual how to set the height for buildings. For example, in St. Mere Eglise there is a building Wild Bill put in that is really unusually tall, like 100 feet or more. How is that done? When I try to put buldings on the map they seem to never go above 12 m.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 46
- 11/13/2000 9:14:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Hang in there Tiger! The 4th Battle is a nail biter...or even a gonad grabber to use a more formal term You can do it my man. Keep pumping smoke and artillery if you can get some. William has been one of a cadre of superb testers who have made these last two campaigns worth the time. To all of those who have and are testing it, my thanks. East Front Lovers, now you will have your Tigers and Panthers and get a lot of hard Russian war fighting, the intensity of which you won't often encounter in a wargame. So let's get to the Rhine and then change those Shermans for Tigers in the upcoming "Watchword Freedom."....Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 47
- 11/13/2000 5:05:00 PM   
Pantherblaster

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: It's gotten very quiet in Western Europe. A lot of you were headed to Germany, but I've heard nothing of late? How goes the campaign? Did you make it? WB
Hi Bill, I have to say that I have only finished the first one and are in the process of playing the second one. The first one went the way I wanted it except the last turn wen I guess I lost my concentration a bit. Using an extra airborne platton and landing it south of the major objective city reinforced by snipers, bazooka and recon teams payed out perfectly, while my Wolverines north and my - little above average - Shermans south finished of any german counterattacks. Used a lot of jeeps (in different versions) and have a lot of cheap units (snipers, MG's, recon teams, etc.). This gives me the advantage of seriously upgrading my taskforce during the game, while it still has strong numbers and the much needed flexibility. Lot's 60mm jeeps for smoke and stunning use aswell. Regrets, Pantherblaster

"War is the continuation of politics by all other means"-Vom Kriege, Carl von Clausewitz.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 48
- 11/14/2000 11:42:00 AM   
degen

I'm having a great time with this campaign. Have completed the first three battles with a marginal and two decisive victories. This campaign rocks! The second battle, the beach defend, ended kinda odd though. I was nine turns in and a p-38 spotted more tanks coming down the middle and upper roads (including the two Panthers!). However, the game then ended and showed me that I had won a decisive victory. I'm not sure why though, since it seemed that the Germans had me against the ropes. In the next battle, Carentan, I loved the heavy recon squads that came with the auxillary forces. I had one of these recon squads that was down to 2 men, yet it close assaulted and destroyed the 2 brumbakers. Those 2 men saved my hide since all I had was a stuart, a 105 tank (with he only) and some halftracks in the area. I was disappointed to see that I couldn't purchase recon squads that were similar equipped. Just starting the bocage scenario... ------------------ "I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

"I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 49
- 11/15/2000 2:35:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Those are "Wild Bill Special Recon Groups," kind of "Rambo" equipped I like my recon with a little "bite" , don't you? WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 50
- 11/18/2000 8:03:00 PM   
Pantherblaster

Hi Bill, I'm preparing for Paris now. So far I've only had decisive Vict's, although I have to say that the bocage scenario was one tough cookie!!! Lost a lot of vehicles due to mines (blasting things!!!) even though I have a section a Sherman flails in my standard list. I didn't have any of them on the most south-western approach though, so in the end I had to redirect this group to above the river, instead of south of it. Throughout this really good campaign I have to say that I really like the Airborne's. Taking objectives early and taking a lot of attention (meaning shots) away from my advancing armored horde. Losses in these Para's are also quite small due to the fact that I alway sent 4 or more Bazooka teams, several snipers, MG's, and recon groupes with them making lots of small (deadly) units. I'm seriously upgrading my standard list due to the limited losses so far replaced Stuart Platoon with Jumbo (76)'s, and 60mm Jeep's with SP 81mm, a few Ranger sections instead of a few recon teams (I had something like nine of those in the first battle). Your maps really look Cool by the way!!!. Really appreciate the time and attention your putting into SPWAW,THANKS

"War is the continuation of politics by all other means"-Vom Kriege, Carl von Clausewitz.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 51
- 11/19/2000 8:03:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Good tactics, PB! You are indeed doing very well with those decisives. I like you unit selection too. Those Ranger units come in very handy and can be used for infiltration in the enemy's rear of course. Those "Jumbos" though a tad slower are some mighty powerful opponents to the enemy "cats." Thanks for the update. Glad you are enjoying it...WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 52
- 11/19/2000 11:05:00 PM   
Wild Bill

My thanks to all of you for these fine reports and updates. I really enjoy reading them all!...WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 53
- 11/20/2000 5:11:00 AM   
Kluckenbill

What a GREAT campaign. I just upgraded to 4.4 because I had a PBEM game going on. I'm into the second battle, the first was tough. I have a question that for some reason dawned on me during this battle. Why are the transport units not included in the anti-tank sections and platoons? It really seems unrealistic for the US player to have to buy additional trucks to move his AT guns around when IRL they were part of the platoon. ------------------ Target, Cease Fire !

Target, Cease Fire !

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 54
- 11/20/2000 7:21:00 AM   
Wild Bill

If it is the beach defense battle, Kluckenbill, it is to tie down those guns to those positions. The confusion and chaos of the beaches...using anything and everything to stop the German advance. That was the impression I was trying to create. And I am glad you are enjoying it. As you play through, you will sometimes, as any real commander in the war, lament a lack of something and wish for more. Sorry about that ..WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 55
- 11/20/2000 10:00:00 AM   
Lou

So far, so good. I just finished the Paris scenario. My favorite so far! Hide and seek with tanks. I love it. My force is: Platoon of mixed Shermans. Rifle company. Mech engineer platoon. 81mm mortar section. FO. Bazooka section (used to be scouts) Lessons Learned: Upgrade the infantry first so that all squads have bazookas. It's worth it to load infantry squads on tanks, even if you lose two men. Dropping mortars on approaching tanks often discombobulates them long enough to drop the big stuff on 'em. Big caliber artillery means never having to say your sorry. Buying supply trucks is rarely a bad idea. Experiment and have fun. I changed one platoon of the rifle company to Airborne. Yeehaa, things are jumping now (get it? Jumping?). Now, where appropriate, I buy a section of c-47s and load the airborne, bazookas, and light mgs and drop them where they will cause the most trouble. They have made all of the difference in several of the battles so far. I know this may draw some fire from the grognards, but this is just my Walter Mitty down time activity. Trust your men. As I learned more about the game, I discovered that tanks and such could get rather close to an infantry unit that is keeping low. At first, I would have my squads open fire at max range...with predictable results Now, even though I'm sweating it out, I let tanks get closer and closer. It's still not a sure thing, but they more often than not wind up spanking the tanks. But then, none of this would be possible if SP:WAW wasn't the great game it is. Lou [This message has been edited by Lou (edited November 19, 2000).]

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 56
- 11/20/2000 10:50:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Lou, this is good stuff. You have some great ideas. This is the heart of a campaign, experimenting with various forces, trying various strategies to see what works best. I have to concur with all your choices. I like especially the inclusion of airborne. They are good fighters and ready for an airdrop anytime. Great going my friend. East of Paris was one of my favorites too, a deadly game of capture the flag and hide and go seek all rolled up into one. WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 57
- 11/20/2000 4:28:00 PM   
Pantherblaster

Hi Bill, I'm in Germany!!! Have played my first battles there in august and september (if I recall it rightly). I guess I'm still doing the wright things, because I've still only had decisive victories so far. I just keep upgrading my forces. Just bought a platoon of Chaffee's, three arm. engineer squads and am in the process of steadily replacing the two rifle infantry platoons by arm. infantry platoons with the best APC's (M3A2 if i'm correct). Replaced a section of M4 (76) Shermans with the 90mm Jackson TD's (I really love those!!!). Plan to replace my platoon of Wolverines with Jacksons aswell, because it will become more and more lickely that I'll be facing stuff like JagtTigers, JagtPanthers or Tiger II's any time soon. So the more armour piercing capacity I have the better it will be when meeting those big guy's. I've just chosen my support units for a rescue mission. I bought cargo aircraft , extra bazooka teams, MMG's, snipers, recon teams (all as usual), 1 105mm How. Batery, extra engineers (I expect some mineclearing as I attempt to breach the German lines to get to my own troops)and some 60mm Jeeps to provide me with the covering (smoke) fire. Just took a look at the map before I chooose my support. Hope it will all workout right, because this really looks like the perfect ambushing place. The last scenario I finished with a score 17945 and the Germans with 921. I just dropped a reinforced Airborne company just in front of the most forward objectives with my armoured fleet running like hell to get to them and reinforce them. Worked out perfectly. Lost 67 troops. Really slaughterd the PC in this one. Well have to go now, there's a bunch of troops waiting to be relieved and sent on their way to Berlin. Regards (did I write "regrets" at the endf of my first mail? Oops quess I did!!! Sorry, that's what can happen if English isn't your native language), Pantherblaster

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 58
- 11/20/2000 8:28:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Having the right forces is a big key to success. You've chosen well all the way through. How did you do against the vaunted West Wall scenario? That one is a real toughie, or it was for me? Well, you'll be across the Rhine before you know it, as soon as you deal with the Battle of the Bulge. Good reports, PB and the rest of you. Thanks...Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 59
- 11/20/2000 9:24:00 PM   
Pantherblaster

Back again, Well for the westwall I choose to (again) drop para's behind the enemy rear (just behind the most rearward German objectives), to the extreme north and south to be precisely. Then I used massive artillery to lay down smoke patterns around my airborne troops (so they've got some cover and won't be wiped out in the first two turns) and to the extreme southern and northern part of the map on the positions where I suspected the bunkers, MGnests and other stuff would most likely be. I completely let the center of the map alone. My armoured and engineer, mech-inf and other heavy forces where positioned in front of the smoke screens (on their respective flanks) and moved them forward behind engineer infantry and engineer tanks, while some of my Para's (notably the bazooka teams) went in their direction as fast as possible (searching for, in particular thos bloody AT pillboxes). All of this went fine and I quess after the sith turn I was through the dragon tooth in the south and the mine fields and most of the bunkers in the north. Went I was through I just went rampaging behind the German lines (blasting fortifications and rifle squads) I think I lost something like four tanks and maybe two APC's, losses amongst the ranks of the PAra's were higher though!!! Oh! the scenario which I played after this one workedout so well and fast (estimated 6 turns) that the Germans couldn't even use their reinforcements which I noticed just after the battle review. I Love the campaign and am now in the process of playing the relief operation, and I don't want to spoil the game for anyone else but, wouldn't it be bether to place some ATguns or grenadiers at the northern road toward the village being besieged (I'm not using the southern one so I don't know about that one). I'm moving on just too quickly (turn 4 and the first relieving units are already arriving, not para's they are busy destroying the enemy rear). Just a suggestion. Still love this campaign though yessir! Regards, PANTHERBLASTER

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI