Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds and Sins of Solar Empire

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds and Sins of Solar Empire Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds and Sins of Solar Empire - 4/6/2010 10:31:48 PM   
Kamonrius

They better not, I understand using it to make revenue but please I wish they did not do it on frequency, the DLC's and fallout 3 and its subseequent DlC's was something for the masses..so I hope the next installment is something greater and more ambitious.

DW thank you for not swaying to the masses..let us enjoy and spread the word so that more will come  :D

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 31
RE: Distant Worlds and Sins of Solar Empire - 4/6/2010 11:16:35 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: mightili
- Messed up interface fonts which can be fixed I think by fixing the following:

Do you have Cleartype turned on?

quote:

- Nonadjustable, unknown resolution that game configures itself automatically based on your system specs.

DW runs at the same resolution as your desktop resolution. So if you have it set to 1920x1200, DW will run in 1920x1200.

DW fully supports all resolutions, it just sets itself to whatever resolution you are already running Windows at.

It is not an "old-arse" engine and fully supports modern operating systems and wide screen resolutions. I would suggest also checking your display driver settings if you are seeing clarity issues as it looks very clear on my 1680x1050.

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 4/6/2010 11:17:22 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to mightili)
Post #: 32
RE: Distant Worlds and Sins of Solar Empire - 4/6/2010 11:24:10 PM   
HsojVvad

What is clear type?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 33
RE: Distant Worlds and Sins of Solar Empire - 4/6/2010 11:27:45 PM   
Tycow

It's an option within Windows that smooths onscreen fonts.

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 34
RE: Distant Worlds and Sins of Solar Empire - 4/7/2010 12:17:26 AM   
Erik Rutins

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_Type

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Step1.aspx

I can turn mine on in XP using the Display Properties -> Effects as shown below.

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Tycow)
Post #: 35
RE: Distant Worlds and Sins of Solar Empire - 4/7/2010 12:53:55 AM   
Webbco

I just want to add that I also got sins when it came out and bought both expansion packs (I'm a gamer that has gone for more big-budget games in general).

It really didn't do anything for me, battles were proper shallow, expansion was repetitive, exploration was...pretty much non-existent.

DW is, of course, 2D but Elliot really pulled this off really well. For some unexplainable reason, I find it sooo much more satisfying blowing up 2D sprites in DW than 'polished' 3D models in Sins.

Believe it or not, I really think 2D wins over 3D when comparing these games. I just like seeing the ship chassis slowly ripped away, and the sounds of steel being pulverised

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 36
RE: Distant Worlds and Sins of Solar Empire - 4/7/2010 5:06:53 AM   
Warspite3

quote:

ORIGINAL: JonathanStrange

I love SOASE and DW and SOTS and GalCiv2 - they all have strength in different areas. I think SOASE's strength is in its graphics and polished professional design while DW has a stronger atmospheric and simulator feel that isn't highly polished at all but yet it lives. In DW, people get the feeling that the universe has its own life and goals. In SOASE, one has more the sense of "this is a game that responds along a certain path everytime." I like switching between games and these rough around the edges games like DW may not appeal all the time. But then I like Dwarf Fortress too.

Well said

-Warspite3-

(in reply to JonathanStrange)
Post #: 37
RE: Distant Worlds and Sins of Solar Empire - 4/7/2010 9:15:06 AM   
Ranbir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

- Nonadjustable, unknown resolution that game configures itself automatically based on your system specs.

DW runs at the same resolution as your desktop resolution. So if you have it set to 1920x1200, DW will run in 1920x1200.

DW fully supports all resolutions, it just sets itself to whatever resolution you are already running Windows at.

It is not an "old-arse" engine and fully supports modern operating systems and wide screen resolutions. I would suggest also checking your display driver settings if you are seeing clarity issues as it looks very clear on my 1680x1050.

Not only does it set to my desktop resolution but it almost behaves like a desktop background or a windowed program(since the full screen just integrates into my desktop sort of thing)

So I'm able to alt-tab and multi-task with ease. It is a great piece of work there, Erik! :)

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 38
RE: Distant Worlds and Sins of Solar Empire - 1/15/2013 6:55:19 AM   
trebcourie

**bumping** this since I stumbled onto it through a Google search.

I'm really looking at getting a good Space 4X game. I remember playing the demo for Sins a few years ago -- I enjoyed it but it didn't grab me. I'm considering DW but am not looking for a huge micro-managing time-suck.

Are there any other new, comparable games out there?

(in reply to Ranbir)
Post #: 39
RE: Distant Worlds and Sins of Solar Empire - 1/15/2013 10:58:10 AM   
Gareth_Bryne

Endless Space, but while under constant improvement, it is rather bland.

"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari

(in reply to trebcourie)
Post #: 40
RE: Distant Worlds and Sins of Solar Empire - 1/17/2013 12:29:50 AM   
Ranbir

For me: Sins is lifeless planets with pretty ships, the galactic map lacks authenticity and so ruins any soul or feel of epic space adventuring. DW is a true 4x galactic scaling strategy game where you truly feel like living in an authentically structured sci-fi environment where the galaxy is full of life and activity.

"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 41
RE: Distant Worlds and Sins of Solar Empire - 1/17/2013 5:33:54 AM   
adecoy95

quote:

ORIGINAL: mightili

I of course don't judge anyone's taste here. Some people like more micromanagement than others. But there should be a goal in every game. If you make a goal for yourself, I don't find it that fun, though. Its like you already know whats gonna happen, the difference is just how you get there. I like games with campaigns because a lot of stuff is kinda locked out for me, I learn the game by actually playing it while having fun. And I learn the game 100% when I reach the end of campaign.

X-series had the same problem. While their games had fantastic graphics they've only started actually developing missions and story lines only during latest X-series releases.

I think that professional game developers don't really care about making any kind of nice polished space sims due to its very low niche interest. But there are still thousands of us that enjoyed the X3 series and it was so much more fun when there was an actual story line behind the game. Putting a code together and make it complicated to learn, yeah its fun for a few people here and there. I just wish someone finally made something really worth playing... Give me some scripted fun events inside the game. Building ships, exploring, growing your empire, colonizing the planets...

I mean isn't there already a lot of games of this type? Almost every game related to building empire in space is sandbox... And all the difference is that one game is less polished than another have more bugs than another etc, in other words all you compare these sandbox games are how much one game is crappier than another... You don't like say - hey this game has a much better story than that one... Its always - man this game feels like crap, that game feels polished.. etc.

I wish there were more professional developers in this area of game market with a bigger budget... Everyone seems to be interested in making "Gods of War" and "Worlds of Rat killing". Sarcastically it would be - "Just give me violence and rolling heads and I'll be happy". I guess the times of "Imperium Galactica" are long gone... All we have these days are raising skeletons from a rotting remains of the great games of those times.

okay?

quote:

ORIGINAL: BROJD

**bumping** this since I stumbled onto it through a Google search.

I'm really looking at getting a good Space 4X game. I remember playing the demo for Sins a few years ago -- I enjoyed it but it didn't grab me. I'm considering DW but am not looking for a huge micro-managing time-suck.

Are there any other new, comparable games out there?

star drive is coming out soon, i havent played it, but it seems similar to distant worlds. granted on a smaller scale, and probably with much more micro than distant worlds has. no way to know if its any good without actually have played it personally tho

as far as 4x games go, i would say distant worlds is the best for hardly any micro, properly designed ships seem competent at engaging an disengaging from combat and the ai manages your empires ships well to tackle skirmishes here and there on your borders

in a lot of games you feel compelled to take the controls away from your governors for one reason or another, but in distant worlds, except for tax rates which you will absolutely have to control manually, they do a surprisingly competent job managing things on their own.

you should be aware tho that the enemy ai is not in its best shape right now as far as presenting a challenge. and unless they plan on bringing the price down again for the new expansion, i couldn't recommend spending 80+ dollars to get it and the very soon to be released expansion that claims to work on the ai

still, i do enjoy playing the game, and its worth the price if your big on the 4x genre

< Message edited by adecoy95 -- 1/17/2013 6:11:24 AM >

(in reply to mightili)
Post #: 42
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds and Sins of Solar Empire Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI