Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 2:14:50 AM   
tocaff

We are all overlooking the single most noble act of this World Cup.  The team from Denmark arrived in South Africa and donated funds for the building of a school.  It might've been more than one, but my mind is full of AE facts and has little room for anything else. 

How many of you are aware that South African workers were promised $195 per day for working from 8 AM until 1 AM the following day as their pay rate and in fact got $25?  When the workers protested peacefully outside of the stadium after everyone was gone the South African police arrived with tear gas and rubber bullets as a pay bonus.  FIFA promised to make things right and the workers thought they would get what they were promised in the first place, but instead were replaced by police and troops after being fired.

Sports are played for fun by children and this is big business on a grand scale.

Yes I watch the matches and root for the USA and Brazil and I do enjoy sports, but.....

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Torplexed)
Post #: 271
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 4:07:49 AM   
Mynok

I wouldn't have shrugged! There's plenty of US soccer/football fans, they just probably aren't on this board.

Have no delusions we'll get more than one or two games more. We really aren't that skilled except in goal perhaps. But we play tough and don't give up and that will get us some wins.

I appreciate the goodwill of my European friends here. We aren't an amazing side by any means but we play as team. Good to see others appreciate that.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Torplexed)
Post #: 272
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 4:09:59 AM   
Mynok

Amazing how Germany just doesn't have the flow without Klose.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 273
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 6:32:25 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

And Warspite1? Take a pill.

Warspite1

Sure, I'll do you a deal - you stop pontificating over things you know nothing about and I'll take a pill. Alternatively you could try and support your accusation that our qualification was a fluke - except you can't - because it wasn't.

Its really very simple, we played badly for most of the time, the big players went AWOL against Algeria, and a 1-0 vs Slovenia was the minimum result that still got us through. We've paid for all that by drawing the Germans once again - though frankly I think the Ghanaians looked very, very good too. But it does not make us lucky to be in the last 16. The comment about Italy was just crass and the lack of support for your own country??

Anyway, enough said, I've now taken my pill and hopefully you will live up to your end of the deal.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 274
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 6:50:53 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

I wouldn't have shrugged! There's plenty of US soccer/football fans, they just probably aren't on this board.

Have no delusions we'll get more than one or two games more. We really aren't that skilled except in goal perhaps. But we play tough and don't give up and that will get us some wins.

I appreciate the goodwill of my European friends here. We aren't an amazing side by any means but we play as team. Good to see others appreciate that.

Warspite1

I think that whoever you/we got - Germany or Ghana - its going to be tough. You probably have the slightly better draw but its marginal; Ghana passed the ball well and showed good movement in every area (Kevin Prince Boateng would not have been sold by Spurs if he'd played for us like he did last night).

I think many of the USA players have more skill than they are being given credit for, but I absolutely agree that its the teamwork ethic and the never say die attitude that really impresses. They are not mentally weak; they did not let an early goal against England knock them off their stride, they came back from two down against Slovenia and should have won bar a terrible decision, and kept going until the dying seconds against Algeria and got their reward accordingly.

Good luck to England and USA for the weekend!

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 275
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 8:12:55 AM   
Durbik

Americans are developing rapidly. In 30 years they will win every World Cup they want - it's just the matter of publicity concerning soccer in US. Back in 1990 nobody there even tried to assemble a pro soccer team to compete for qualifying. In 2002 they qualified, but lost even to Poland (and that's HARD). Now? They're winning the group.

30 more years I say.

obey the fist!

(in reply to Torplexed)
Post #: 276
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 9:57:23 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Durbik

Americans are developing rapidly. In 30 years they will win every World Cup they want - it's just the matter of publicity concerning soccer in US. Back in 1990 nobody there even tried to assemble a pro soccer team to compete for qualifying. In 2002 they qualified, but lost even to Poland (and that's HARD). Now? They're winning the group.

30 more years I say.

We're the third most-populous nation in the world, and #1 and #2 don't care much about soccer. If all it takes is money and organizational ability, we have that. We have been putting millions of kids into youth soccer since the 1970s, but they don't seem to stick in it as they do elsewhere. But if interest picked up, and money flowed in, I think you'd be right. We'd at least be a contender in every WC.

For all the reasons hashed out here and elsewhere, ad infinitum, ad nauseum, I don't think soccer is ever really going to take hold here. I'm watching at least one game (match?) a day, but when the WC is over I'll go back to ignoring the subject again.

I do have to say that the very BEST part of the experience for me is the lack of commercials during play. I use my Tivo to watch the NFL, mostly because of the commercials. A broadcast is 3 hours, and clock play is 1 hour. It's not unusual to have 11-15 ads in between series of downs. They show a set after a touchdown, then anohter set after the extra point, then another after the kick-off. Baseball has commercials after every inning, but the breaks are shorter. Even the Indy 500, where the action is moving at 230 MPH, breaks away during the race. Watching the WC is refreshing. It's possible to sink into the experience and develop a sense of the flow of the thing without being jerked into a hamburger or pickup truck ad every four minutes.

Which is the most prominent reason why it'll never catch on in the USA.

The Moose

(in reply to Durbik)
Post #: 277
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 3:39:10 PM   
Bearcat2

I think the main problem on why soccer/football will never catch on in the US is that the most important attribute to being a player is to take acting classes. I enjoy players being brushed by an opposing player and acting like they have been mortally wounded in a near death experience, only to continue playing a minute later with no ill effects. It is also humourous to watch amatuer refs in the most important series in the game with no replay to rectify obvious mistakes; then trying to justify this aproach as being part of the game. To this American; that is rather stupid, why play the game if it all depends on what a particular ref does, who then does not have to explain his decision; this goes against the average American's idea of fair play and makes the whole competition a joke. I am not trying to demean the game itself only the organization that runs it.
The other reason it won't take hold is the fact that in high school American football and soccer are played at the same time of the year; the top 20 athletes in a school are playing American football and those who get cut from the team are playing soccer; the game is considered 2nd rate.

BTW: Another reason why soccer won't catch on is watching an American player[Donovan] crying on TV after the match with Algeria; the average American finds that emotional response to be a sign of weakness, an often quoted remark about a WOMENS baseball team where the coach reduces a player to tears reflects the attitude "crying, CRYING; there's no crying in baseball"

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 278
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 3:48:19 PM   
Nikademus

I do find the flopping and over-dramatics to be annoying and detrimental to my enjoyment of the matches. They can be amusing too though, particularily when doing a slo-mo instant replay where you clearly see that the players either barely touching each other or missing entirely....followed by as much as a 2 second pause after which the player starts going down.....then throws his arms up in the air, arches his neck up and puts on his "anguish" face as if he'd just been hit from behind by a Denver Broncos linebacker in full gear.

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 279
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 3:55:07 PM   
TulliusDetritus

The Phoenix Bird, er, Italy, playing as... Italy Losing 1 - 0 = KO

Those of us who have seen enough football know the Italians have been many times on the brink of ruin. Somehow they survived and managed to win a tournament or play at least the final...

So beware

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 280
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 4:41:00 PM   
Misconduct

I would bother to watch the world cup if it wasn't the vuvuzelas going bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 281
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 5:00:54 PM   
Sardaukar

Italy out!!!! 3-2.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 282
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 5:07:15 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar
Italy out!!!! 3-2.

Yes, out

The funny thing is that had they passed they would have become a very dangerous team (as always, a shabby start and then, somehow...). Or maybe not. This time they did not have a decent team, so, well done Slovakia.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 283
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 5:08:48 PM   
Nikademus

They came up one headbutt short.

Post #: 284
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 5:09:43 PM   
cantona2

Bye bye Italy. 20 minutes of good football in your last match cannot undo 2 games worth of drivel. Lets face it, if the world champion cannot defeat New Zealand then they deserve to go home.

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

Post #: 285
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 5:29:17 PM   
bradfordkay

You have to feel for the Kiwis - going home without having lost a game (of course, they never managed to win one either).

With both of the finalists from the last WC out, it's time to pull for all the underdogs. I'd love to see a champion from a country that has never won it before.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 286
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 5:37:35 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Bye bye Italy. 20 minutes of good football in your last match cannot undo 2 games worth of drivel. Lets face it, if the world champion cannot defeat New Zealand then they deserve to go home.

Is anybody even a little bit sorry to see the "diving divas" go?
GOOD RIDDANCE. I hate their style of football! That **** in the net just tops it. Better tournament without them

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 287
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 5:40:05 PM   
cantona2

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

You have to feel for the Kiwis - going home without having lost a game (of course, they never managed to win one either).

With both of the finalists from the last WC out, it's time to pull for all the underdogs. I'd love to see a champion from a country that has never won it before.

Argentina for me have shown the most credentials

Post #: 288
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 5:42:07 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: cantona2

Puts England's problems into perspective, no?

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 289
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 5:43:21 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

We can mention this statistic.

When the WC has been played in Europe = an European team has won. ALWAYS.
When the WC has been played in the Americas = a team from the Americas has won. ALWAYS.

Until 2002, all the WCs were played in Europe and the Americas. It was the first visit to Asia = a team from the Americas won (Brazil).

Now for the very first time the WC is visiting Africa, so... the winner should be?

One thing is certain, the European teams ONLY won when they played in Europe.

We will see

Post #: 290
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 5:53:54 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

quote:

GOOD RIDDANCE. I hate their style of football! That **** in the net just tops it. Better tournament without them

Seconded

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 291
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 5:56:05 PM   
cantona2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Brennan UK

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

quote:

Seconded

Thirded! Though England's problems have only deepend more by coming second. Germany-Argentina-Brazil/Spain!

(in reply to Rob Brennan UK)
Post #: 292
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 5:59:57 PM   
V22 Osprey

Italy lost to Slovakia! Has the world gone mad? But as cantona2 said, if they couldn't beat New Zealand they weren't going to last long anyway.

Art by rogueusmc.

Post #: 293
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 6:24:31 PM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

Oh...please...

quote:

Italy lost to Slovakia! Has the world gone mad? But as cantona2 said, if they couldn't beat New Zealand they weren't going to last long anyway.

You are right, this team was totally wrong: players, condition, psychologically.
Maybe the worst team ever...

WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 294
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 6:30:19 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Blind Sniper, I would have wanted Italy to pass

A WC without them is N O T the same. This squad was indeed weak, but we all know the professionalism of Italian players... You NEVER EVER can write them off. This time they were knocked down (and Slovakia 100% deserved it, so fair play) but still... a lot of football fans will miss them... And it makes a big contender out, so the other top teams are happy

(in reply to Blind Sniper)
Post #: 295
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 6:37:50 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

quote:

Warspite1

Not quite true Tullius - Brazil bucked the trend in 1958 in Sweden by beating the hosts 5-2

Post #: 296
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 6:40:23 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Warspite1

Imagine how poor Scotland felt in 1974 - they went out unbeaten having won against Zaire and drew against Brazil and Yugoslavia. They only beat Zaire 2-0, meaning that Brazil - who had beaten the Africans 3-0 progressed by a +1 goal difference better than the Scots

Post #: 297
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 6:42:30 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Not quite true Tullius - Brazil bucked the trend in 1958 in Sweden by beating the hosts 5-2

Hey, you're right

Or maybe not

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_58

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 298
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 6:42:44 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: aprezto

Of course I can hardly get my hopes up, but since we are there, and I am as patriotic as the next bloke, I have to add a plug for the Kiwis against Slovakia tonight. In our previous effort (at the world cup) the 'being there' was the victory. This team is a little better than that - or maybe a bit more professional. However, I can't help feeling that the best we can hope for is to score a goal and not get "Australia'd"

Warspite1

Well we need one real shock result from the first round of matches - lets hope the All Whites provide it. Unfortunately Slovakia are one half of a useful footballing nation; four major finals as Czechoslovakia - two World Cup finals and two European Championship finals (Champions in 1976).

This side beat Russia in the play-offs and are a useful team, but fingers crossed - 1-0 to the All Whites, Plymouth's Rory Fallon scores with 10 minutes to go and New Zealand hold on for a famous victory.........

Warspite1

Okay - not quite as planned but a great result for the All Whites nonetheless. Now a point against Italy and a win against Paraguay and the last 16 here we come.....simples

Warspite1

Oh yes - one to go New Zealand....Come on you All Whites, you can do it

Warspite1

Good luck to the Kiwis for tomorrow afternoon - whatever happens, you've done your country proud.

Warspite1

Unlucky Kiwis - almost but........

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 299
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 6:44:28 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Hey, you're right

Or maybe not

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_58

Warspite1

What the........

Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI