Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: radar detection bug

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: radar detection bug Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: radar detection bug - 9/14/2010 5:08:57 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

Thanks guys, I guess I could have been more specific. As I mentioned I'm kind of confused with the code and data patch terms. What I meant to say was something along the lines of , will the radar and attack bomber fixes require you to restart?

AFAIK... no

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 31
RE: radar detection bug - 9/14/2010 5:29:21 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy
quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea
Thanks guys, I guess I could have been more specific. As I mentioned I'm kind of confused with the code and data patch terms. What I meant to say was something along the lines of , will the radar and attack bomber fixes require you to restart?

AFAIK... no

Don’t want to steal Joe or Michael’s thunder, but I just answered this question with regard to the Babes, and have the text handy, so …

2 kinds of patches – an EXE patch and a DATA patch. Exe patch just changes code (.exe and .dll) files. This was done for Patch 4 and all the hotfixes. Exe patch does NOT require restart. The update happens automatically and does not affect on-going games at all.

DATA patch is different. It changes values in the scenario data files. But these changes do NOT automatically get picked up by an on-going Savegame file. This requires some special update magic by the developers. It was done in Patch 2 (I think it was 2) and kinda worked, but many people had problems, so it’s iffy for it to be done again – up to the Boss.

So installing a DATA patch will not REQUIRE restart; you just won’t see the new data values in on-going games. If you DO want to see the new values, one of two things must happen; 1) special update magic, or 2) restart.

p.s., When (if) the patch comes out, Joe or Michael will make it expressly clear whether or not special update magic will happen. Till then, I respectfully suggest you ‘cover your brookies’ with Plan B.

< Message edited by JWE -- 9/14/2010 5:50:25 PM >

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 32
RE: radar detection bug - 9/15/2010 2:46:49 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

I guess he meant "require a restart to have the data base changes happening for an ongoing game". While it´s great how it´s done now, weren´t most WITP patches done in a way that required a restart to also have the db changes?

The six WITP patches done by the AE team had no scenario data changes - they were all "EXE ONLY".

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

Post #: 33
RE: radar detection bug - 9/15/2010 2:55:46 AM   
witpqs

But with one of the patches - maybe it was the second but I forget - there was data changed because we were asked by the game if we wanted to incorporate the OOB changes into the game in progress.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 34
RE: radar detection bug - 9/15/2010 3:10:50 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

But with one of the patches - maybe it was the second but I forget - there was data changed because we were asked by the game if we wanted to incorporate the OOB changes into the game in progress.

Right there was one WITP patch - done by Michael Wood - not the AE team - that had scenario data changes in it - and there was an attempt to allow the option to port those changes into ongoing games. I don't know how successful the attempt was - in my ongoing games at that stage - I neither upgraded the EXE nor the data. I still really prefer finishing a given game on the game version I started in on - at least when playing "real" game - i.e. not testing.

Porting data changes over to onging games is not as easy to do as it is to say. The data in some scenario files like devices or aircraft or classes are easy because these are not changed during the game - but the data in other scenario files like airgroups, ships or land units are changed during the game. Bringing in changes to this second group is very problematic and I think we eventually decided not to try it. So for AE patch 02 we did a "partial" port of the data changes.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 35
RE: radar detection bug - 9/15/2010 3:25:51 AM   
witpqs

To provide one data point, it worked fine for me.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 36
RE: radar detection bug - 9/15/2010 7:29:01 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

I guess he meant "require a restart to have the data base changes happening for an ongoing game". While it´s great how it´s done now, weren´t most WITP patches done in a way that required a restart to also have the db changes?

The six WITP patches done by the AE team had no scenario data changes - they were all "EXE ONLY".

wow, six patches? Hmm, wonder why I restarted two or three of my PBEMs. Must have been very early then. Or there have been some problem, can´t really remember anymore, been quite a while already

< Message edited by castor troy -- 9/15/2010 7:30:09 AM >

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 37
RE: radar detection bug - 9/15/2010 12:20:15 PM   
Sardaukar

Beta patches and hotfixes included into count, apparently.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Post #: 38
RE: radar detection bug - 9/17/2010 5:29:42 AM   
jwilkerson

Wow - I'm surprised at the interest in "Patch History" should we add another CLASS to the Curriculum?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Beta patches and hotfixes included into count, apparently.

We did six patches for WITP:

I think there was one hotfix for 1.8.0.4 but that was a brief update to the first version of 1.8.0.4 which was then replaced by the final version of 1.8.0.4. I don't recall any beta patches. So I think six patches is the count of what we did - not including beta or hotfix.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 39
RE: radar detection bug - 9/17/2010 8:33:40 AM   
Sardaukar

My bad, I thought we were talking about AE patches. 

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 40
RE: radar detection bug - 10/16/2010 7:37:29 PM   
RUDOLF

So..

Are we getting a Hotfix who fix this problem?!

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 41
RE: radar detection bug - 10/17/2010 10:09:41 AM   
RUDOLF

well? What happands in this issue?

< Message edited by RUDOLF -- 10/20/2010 2:38:56 PM >

(in reply to RUDOLF)
Post #: 42
RE: radar detection bug - 8/11/2011 8:36:44 AM   
McSeem

I cannot say for sure, but there is no messages about radar detection of air raid in combat reports 07.12.41 - 21.12.42
Scenario - Ironman
Versions - 1108p4-p7

(in reply to RUDOLF)
Post #: 43
RE: radar detection bug - 8/11/2011 10:30:01 PM   
PaxMondo

Overall, there are not a lot of radar units in play in the first year of the war. You've parsed all of the combat reports? Here is one from my latest turn using p7 in the Downfall scenario:

Raid detected at 74 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.

That is a radar detection as opposed to:

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.

which is a visual sighting.

Pax

(in reply to McSeem)
Post #: 44
RE: radar detection bug - 8/12/2011 7:16:27 AM   
McSeem

Raid detected - radar?
Raid spotted - visual?

I have both strings in combat reports.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 45
RE: radar detection bug - 8/12/2011 12:52:13 PM   
michaelm75au

Yes

Michael

(in reply to McSeem)
Post #: 46
RE: radar detection bug - 8/12/2011 2:22:58 PM   
McSeem

michaelm
PaxMondo

Thank you.
Sorry for false alarm

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 47
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: radar detection bug Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI