Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis : Polish Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris >> After Action Reports >> RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis : Polish Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/28/2010 4:32:16 PM   
Keunert

i think i' ve seen you position artillery units without support in a line, protected by rivers only. north and northwest of lodz as an example.
aren't they easily lost with this tactic?

i rarely use polish artillery units, they are always in the second line, retreating most of the time. so they really have not much use and seldom get to bombard the attacker.
so far i treated them like family jewels. but i don't know how to make good use of them. should i sacrifice them rather to slow down the germans?

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 61
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/28/2010 5:11:04 PM   
RocketMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alan Sharif

Very enjoyable to read and making me want to play this title again. So many games, so little time :(

Thanks. And I know about having too little time to play some of the great games that have come out lately. I bought WitE and haven't even had a chance to play it yet!

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 62
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/28/2010 5:56:44 PM   
RocketMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keunert

i think i' ve seen you position artillery units without support in a line, protected by rivers only. north and northwest of lodz as an example.
aren't they easily lost with this tactic?

i rarely use polish artillery units, they are always in the second line, retreating most of the time. so they really have not much use and seldom get to bombard the attacker.
so far i treated them like family jewels. but i don't know how to make good use of them. should i sacrifice them rather to slow down the germans?

In an ideal situation artillery should be positioned behind the first line of defense, but the Polish situation is far from ideal. I am putting some artillery units in the front line because I don't have enough units to form one full line, much less one full line backed up by artillery. In Case Yellow, the Allies do have enough units to do that and in my other PBEM game of Case Yellow, my opponent has used that tactic to great effect.

On the defense, artillery should ideally be used to bombard forward enemy units to cause some causalities and reduce a units readiness and integrity. However, if placed properly, they can put up a credible defense. For instance, last turn in my line south of the Vistula between Thorn and Bromberg I had an artillery unit (the Pomorze Art) in the front line in heavy forest. My opponent attacked it three times, first with a Panzer unit, then with an airstrike (dive bombers) and then with another Panzer unit as shown in the screenshot below. The unit not only survived, but held it's ground with only 100 infantry casualties total.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by RocketMan -- 12/28/2010 5:57:19 PM >

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 63
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/28/2010 7:07:11 PM   
Keunert

thanks for your help.

another question: why is building a consistent line that important? the germans are able to penetrate it easily.
sometimes i rather build some obstacles that will hold out some turns instead of a weak line.
but your strategy plays out well.

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 64
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/28/2010 7:50:54 PM   
oldspec4

I'm currently playing Case Yellow as the Brits/French; and have been using artillery behind the front line in field terrain for better attacking stats (or so I thought).

After reading your AAR, I'm thinking I should have placed artillery in light/heavy forest, if possible, for the defensive benefit vs. less offensive power . The AI seems to blast my artillery in fields w/ airstrikes/artillery. As a result, I've lost much of my artillery offensive power anyway.

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 65
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/28/2010 9:49:11 PM   
RocketMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keunert

thanks for your help.

another question: why is building a consistent line that important? the germans are able to penetrate it easily.
sometimes i rather build some obstacles that will hold out some turns instead of a weak line.
but your strategy plays out well.

A continuous line is not critical. If you look back at my screenshots from prior turns you will see in some areas I only have units spaced a few hexes apart to slow down an advance. In other areas I try to form a continuous line to force the Germans to attack and use up APs, which slows them down.

I have found that leaving units to be surrounded does little to slow the Germans down. They just isolate them, bombard them with artillery and then attack, causing the units to surrender when they can't retreat. I would rather have my units retreat to fight another day then die surrounded.

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 66
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/28/2010 9:53:09 PM   
RocketMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldspec4

I'm currently playing Case Yellow as the Brits/French; and have been using artillery behind the front line in field terrain for better attacking stats (or so I thought).

After reading your AAR, I'm thinking I should have placed artillery in light/heavy forest, if possible, for the defensive benefit vs. less offensive power . The AI seems to blast my artillery in fields w/ airstrikes/artillery. As a result, I've lost much of my artillery offensive power anyway.

It doesn't matter where artillery attack from, only where they attack into, or where they are when they are attacked. The terrain they occupy has no effect on their bombardment ability. If at all possible, you should keep your artillery in forest/city terrain to protect them from air strikes, but in a lot of cases that isn't practical.

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 67
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/28/2010 10:11:59 PM   
RocketMan

Turn 4 - Messages.

Got a new regiment in Poznan. There is no way it will be able to escape at this point, so it will just die in place.

Losses have spiked up as predicted. 2% for the Germans and 13% for the Poles.

And moving Juliusz Rommel to the front lines seems to have cured him of his desire to have all units die in place now that he would share that fate himself.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 68
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/28/2010 11:09:32 PM   
RocketMan

Turn 4 - Start - Northeast.

I will straighten my line this turn but hold along the Bobr and Narew rivers for now. Between the start of the Bobr river and Grondo I will fall back a little. The unit in Grondo will hold in place.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 69
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/28/2010 11:13:43 PM   
RocketMan

Turn 4 - Start - North.

My line in this sector was broken this turn so I will pull back and for a new one as shown.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 70
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/28/2010 11:17:32 PM   
RocketMan

Turn 4 - Start - Northwest.

Any units still able will try to flee. The rest will die in place.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 71
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/28/2010 11:21:15 PM   
RocketMan

Turn 4 - Start - West

I will pull back and form a new line as shown. The units in Poznan will die in place.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 72
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/28/2010 11:28:03 PM   
RocketMan

Turn 4 - Start - West Along the Warta River

I will bombard and then attack the exposed engineer unit as shown, blow bridges and complete the line along the Warta river.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 73
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/28/2010 11:31:25 PM   
oldspec4

quote:

ORIGINAL: RocketMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldspec4

It doesn't matter where artillery attack from, only where they attack into, or where they are when they are attacked. The terrain they occupy has no effect on their bombardment ability. If at all possible, you should keep your artillery in forest/city terrain to protect them from air strikes, but in a lot of cases that isn't practical.

Ok, thanks for clarifying the Landscape Statistics chart for each terrain hex..think I now understand the attack/defense modifiers.

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 74
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/28/2010 11:38:17 PM   
RocketMan

Turn 4 Start - South - Lodz to Krakow.

This whole area is a mess with my lines penetrated in multiple places. Not surprising of course, but I still need to build some kind of defensive line in the area shown from the units available. I don't know if I will be able to do it though.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by RocketMan -- 12/28/2010 11:40:08 PM >

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 75
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/28/2010 11:42:26 PM   
RocketMan

Turn 4 Start - Southeast.

Not enough units in this area to form a good line, so the units in this area will start trading ground for time by falling back.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 76
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/28/2010 11:44:13 PM   
RocketMan

And that completes the tour of the front lines at the start of turn 4. Next up will be the situation at the end of turn 4. Will the Poles be able to form new defensive lines to keep back the German invaders? Keep your eye on this thread to find out!

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 77
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/28/2010 11:50:18 PM   
leridano

quote:

ORIGINAL: RocketMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: RedCharlie65

Very much enjoying this.

I'm glad at least one person is reading it!

As I´m trying to familiarize with the game I also follow this thread almost every day!

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 78
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/28/2010 11:54:24 PM   
RocketMan

One more picture, losses at the start of turn 4. Polish losses damn near doubled this turn with surrounded units being destroyed. Note that German losses did not spike as well, which shows the futility of allowing units to be surrounded to try and slow the Germans down.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by RocketMan -- 12/28/2010 11:57:50 PM >

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 79
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/28/2010 11:57:17 PM   
RocketMan

Oh and one more. Gdynia finally fell and a couple of regiments of the 27th Infantry Division are still holding out, but I doubt they will survive next turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 80
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/29/2010 4:11:42 AM   
RocketMan

And now the end of turn screenshots. I will do them in the same order I did the start of turn ones.

First up: Turn 4 - End - Northeast.

The Germans don't have enough units in this area to make a big push unless they start using the Luftwaffe, which I doubt my opponent will do. Still he could, and probably will, make a local breakthrough somewhere.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by RocketMan -- 12/29/2010 11:32:48 PM >

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 81
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/29/2010 4:15:08 AM   
RocketMan

First up: Turn 4 - End - North.

Formed a new defensive line and moved the units that got attacked last turn behind the front line to give them a chance to recover some readiness.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by RocketMan -- 12/29/2010 4:16:04 AM >

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 82
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/29/2010 4:20:50 AM   
RocketMan

First up: Turn 4 - End - Northwest.

Not a lot changed here form the start of the turn. I used the artillery unit in the bottom right to bombard the unit next to it because it didn't have enough APs to move very far. And units in the bottom center fled to the south side of the Vistula river.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 83
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/29/2010 4:28:26 AM   
RocketMan

Turn 4 - End - West.

I couldn't form as long a defensive line as I wanted in this sector. I wanted it to go all the way to Gnesen. At the bottom right you can see the Engineer unit I attacked. According to my intelligence, which is suspect (due to my low recon rating of the Engineer unit), it only has 400 infantry and 50 trucks left. I also got all the bridges I wanted blown in this area.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 84
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/29/2010 4:54:34 AM   
RocketMan

Turn 4 - End - South: Lodz to Krakow.

I managed to form a new line, but it will certainly be broken again next turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 85
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/29/2010 4:58:18 AM   
RocketMan

Turn 4 - End - Southeast.

Built a new line but left it thin in the southeast sector because the Germans only have the Slovaks in this area. I also got more bridges blown in this sector.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by RocketMan -- 12/29/2010 11:34:05 PM >

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 86
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/29/2010 5:12:22 AM   
RocketMan

Turn 4 - End - Full Map.

I messed the screenshots up and didn't get a row of hexes in the middle of the map, but I will post the picture anyway.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 87
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/29/2010 5:13:42 AM   
RocketMan

And so ends the tour of the battlefield for turn 4. What will turn 5 bring? Stick around and find out!

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 88
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/29/2010 5:37:29 AM   
Keunert

what cards have you played so far? did you raise some worker units? or what are your plans about your pp's?

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 89
RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis... - 12/29/2010 3:06:19 PM   
RocketMan

I was going to play the "Do Broni!" (receive militia units) and "Improve Moral" cards on the first turn but forgot to do it. On the second turn I played the "Do Broni!" card and got five worker regiments in Lodz, but they were assigned to the closest HQ which was the Lodz Operational Group under Juliusz Rommel, the idiot who keeps ordering all units under his command to hold position. So I swapped them to Rydz-Smigly (the highest level HQ) but what I didn't realize was that swapping units from a HQ with a red down arrow on their portrait (representing a poor commander) cost 1 PP per unit, so I used up 5 PPs accidentally doing that. On turn 6 I will have 10 PPs and will probably play another "Do Broni!" card in Warsaw so the new units will automatically be assigned to Rydz-Smigly.

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris >> After Action Reports >> RE: Case White PBEM: RocketMan-Poland vs. CYORESS1-Axis : Polish Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI