Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play issue?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play issue? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/7/2011 7:59:21 PM   
ComradeP

quote:

Where is the Achilles heel of the Soviets?

The plummeting of the manpower multiplier over time. When about 1/3 or even more of the Soviet Union's population is lost such as in the advance you describe, it will be extremely difficult for the Soviets to keep an offensive going later in the war. Over time, you can bleed them white (bleeding the reds white? ah, the irony).

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to fsp)
Post #: 31
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/7/2011 8:53:55 PM   
Speedysteve

Yup. Make as many SU Units Surrender as you can from November 1941.....

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 32
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/7/2011 9:02:56 PM   
Panama

quote:

ORIGINAL: fsp

Please don't turn this into another Sherman vs T-34 debate...

What I am getting at is: In what way are you supposed to win damage the Soviet war effort as the Axis? Where is the Achilles heel of the Soviets? It sure is not production, as one can see by my example. Even if you capture almost all that is needed for an auto victory, this does not hamper Soviet production and in a human v human game, almost no one gets as far as I did in this game versus the AI.

IMO, the Achilles heel was just about reached. About the time the prisons and gulags were emptied (the last reserves of the Empire) because manpower was reaching a tipping point in late 1941 into 1942. No one has the exact number. Around 1 million. Women were being given rear area roles to allow fit males to join active combat units. Older unfit males were also being given non combat duties to relieve more fit people for active combat roles. Of course with Hitler throwing away resources at unreachable goals manpower proved to be sufficient until liberated areas could be tapped. All elligible males in liberated areas were conscripted (impressed actually) into active service. Training was sometimes a very short time and some were not issued entire uniforms or even a helmet. Cannon fodder. For example, 2 million men were pressed into service during the destruciton of AGC.

So I would think if you had reached Hitlers original dreamed of stop line, Arkangelsk to Astrakhan, manpower would have been the nail in the coffin before that line was reached. I don't think the facist armies could ever have accomplished that because they had a manpower problem of their own. IMO.

< Message edited by Panama -- 3/7/2011 9:04:20 PM >

(in reply to fsp)
Post #: 33
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/8/2011 1:49:41 PM   
Adnan Meshuggi

true - and this is the main problem from the axis pov.

If the game forces the axis player to reduce his own limited pool, he can´t do anything to reach a line the russian player can´t attack in the necessary strenght.

But - as it seems in the moment - the german numbers get halved by blizzard, the german loose the capability to fight a war in 42. You break the german neck much earlier as it happend historically.

So, the goal of a axis player is to save the own manpower pool and bleed the russian one white. Otherwise the axis can do what he want, it doesen´t matter.

Why play at all, if you can do what you want but it doesen´t matter. Not because the enemy is so superior (he isn´t) but because the weather effects are a balancing system for game-engine-problems
Because, if the axis side is too strong in 41, you can destroy the russian side to easily in 42. this would be wrong,too.

But, here i repeat myself, it should be the player who can reach better results (or worse), not the game by "liquidating 60% of your combat effiency.
If the russian run away, he can´t do good in winter41, because the german troops are much stronger as historically and the FEW full winterized troops the russians had in this ugly winter are to little. They did not achive the "final victory" in history, agaist a stronger and better prepared enemy they should achive zero sucsess (if attacking on a broad front instead of 2 or 3 single locations)

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 34
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/8/2011 1:51:38 PM   
fbs

Taking the opportunity of this thread... perhaps someone could answer a question?

My 76mm Inf Gun have a build cost of 40; say I have 1,000,000 points in Armament Production pool, and that I created a ton of artillery units around, so my OOBs require an additional 10,000 76mm Inf Gun (which would take 400,000 Armaments).

Nothing stops the game from building me 10,000 guns in one week, right? Provided that all the "checks" in the units are successful, they are in supply, etc..., then I really have no limitations on producing my 10,000 guns in one week.

I mean, does anyone reach zero in their armament pool as Soviets? They start with 1,000,000, and get 70,000 more each turn... that's a lot of equipment. I have the feeling that the Soviet build-up is limited by the "roll checks" rather than by industrial production.

< Message edited by fbs -- 3/8/2011 1:56:10 PM >

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 35
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/9/2011 5:22:29 AM   
bednarre

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panama

quote:

ORIGINAL: fsp

Please don't turn this into another Sherman vs T-34 debate...

What I am getting at is: In what way are you supposed to win damage the Soviet war effort as the Axis? Where is the Achilles heel of the Soviets? It sure is not production, as one can see by my example. Even if you capture almost all that is needed for an auto victory, this does not hamper Soviet production and in a human v human game, almost no one gets as far as I did in this game versus the AI.

IMO, the Achilles heel was just about reached. About the time the prisons and gulags were emptied (the last reserves of the Empire) because manpower was reaching a tipping point in late 1941 into 1942. No one has the exact number. Around 1 million. Women were being given rear area roles to allow fit males to join active combat units. Older unfit males were also being given non combat duties to relieve more fit people for active combat roles. Of course with Hitler throwing away resources at unreachable goals manpower proved to be sufficient until liberated areas could be tapped. All elligible males in liberated areas were conscripted (impressed actually) into active service. Training was sometimes a very short time and some were not issued entire uniforms or even a helmet. Cannon fodder. For example, 2 million men were pressed into service during the destruciton of AGC.

So I would think if you had reached Hitlers original dreamed of stop line, Arkangelsk to Astrakhan, manpower would have been the nail in the coffin before that line was reached. I don't think the facist armies could ever have accomplished that because they had a manpower problem of their own. IMO.

The book "Absolute War" by Chris Bellamy has an interesting Table 15.2 of Soviet war losses. In terms of irrecoverable losses, 1941 only amounted to 27.8% of the total losses for the war. In 1942, the losses were actually higher, 28.9%. In 1943 the totals came to 20.5%, and in 1944 15.6%. Thus from 1943 to the end of the war the Russians lost 43.2% of the total losses for the war. In other words, for every 100 Russians lost in the 1941-1942 time frame, there were 76 lost over the rest of the war! The fact that the Russians did not have to change their wastefull assault tactics during the second half of the war leads me to believe the Russians did not have manpower problems. The Russian military recruited 34.5 million soldiers (some women), and had about 15.5 million irrecoverable losses (killed/captured/crippled).

The Russian population was around 170 million. Using German statistics as a reference, the 1939 population of Germany was about 80 million, with 17.7 million males of age 15 to 44. Assuming this ratio of 22% applies to the Russian population as well, the estimate is about 34 million males of age 15 to 44. Since the Germans mobilized women too late in the work force, many of these males were working in industry. The Wehrmacht mobilized 17.9 million men, the Russians could have mobilized more than 34 million the same way the Germans did, by recruiting soldiers older than 44! Since this was a war to the death, Russia could have recruited many more women in the military, although many had to serve in the defense industry. The Russian Navy was large, and could have provided additional manpower. Finally, Germany overmobilized and severely inhibited its defense industry (last year of the war). Interestingly the US only mobilized 8 to 10 million.

Reginald E. Bednar

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 36
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/9/2011 6:44:21 AM   
VictorCharlie

Based on those figures did Germany ever have a chance of defeating the Soviets then?

Besides a collapse similar to WW1, on pure attrition the math don’t look good for them.

Can quality overcome quantity?

That’s the question I think this game should be showing us.

If production is too high then the end results is going to be badly trained, ill equipped and poorly led troops who will be next to worthless on the battlefield against experienced veterans.

(in reply to bednarre)
Post #: 37
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/9/2011 11:44:58 AM   
ComradeP

quote:

In terms of irrecoverable losses, 1941 only amounted to 27.8% of the total losses for the war.

I'm not sure why you're presenting this as a low figure. It's actually a really high percentage out of the total considering that the fighting only lasted a bit over 6 months in 1941.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to VictorCharlie)
Post #: 38
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/9/2011 1:08:10 PM   
MengJiao

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

quote:

and why the t34 was copied in most criterias from all other nations and NOT the sherman?

Because the wealthy Western states generally had their own tank producing industries, and the Soviet Union primarily exported to second and third world countries without a well developed armament industry.

American military equipment was and is exported to a wide variety of countries, though less than Soviet/Russian equipment. The main reason: Soviet/Russian equipment is cheaper, and certainly not always better. It's why many African states still use Soviet tanks: cheap to maintain, cheap to purchase.

Soviet designs were in many cases quite good, but they lacked "force multipliers" that could improve on the design, like good ammunition and range finders or other technological aids. In the game, the Soviets are already helped by having a universal tank construction quality/reliability, even though quality could vary quite a bit from factory to factory.

As to the main subject of the thread: the Soviet Union was huge, capturing a line to the Volga would remove quite a bit of its population, but it would still be capable of producing significant quantities of armaments. Keep in mind that it was a totalitarian state, if Stalin didn't want consumer goods to be produced, the population just had to accept it. As such, the breaking point of the Soviet Union was way beyond the breaking point of Western states in terms of how much territory/population could be lost before the war was lost.

Very true about the breaking point. Chris Bellamy makes the point in Absolute War that it is really hard to see how the Soviets survived 1942. From the point of view of stress on the economy, 1942 was much worse than 1941, but production of things like T34s went up in 1942.
Basically, Bellamy says the breaking point for a normal society had been reached in 1942 and he sort of gives up on figuring out how the Soviets came out swinging over and over after plenty of knock-downs and knock-outs in 1942 and resorts to a proverbial story about rats and wolves (I just remember the rats, but another AESOPIAN animal or two was involved).

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 39
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/9/2011 1:10:14 PM   
MengJiao

quote:

ORIGINAL: victor charlie

Based on those figures did Germany ever have a chance of defeating the Soviets then?

Besides a collapse similar to WW1, on pure attrition the math don’t look good for them.

Can quality overcome quantity?

That’s the question I think this game should be showing us.

If production is too high then the end results is going to be badly trained, ill equipped and poorly led troops who will be next to worthless on the battlefield against experienced veterans.

The results on the Eastern Front suggest that even experienced veterans can be killed in large numbers from time to time.

Post #: 40
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/9/2011 1:15:17 PM   
MengJiao

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

quote:

In terms of irrecoverable losses, 1941 only amounted to 27.8% of the total losses for the war.

I'm not sure why you're presenting this as a low figure. It's actually a really high percentage out of the total considering that the fighting only lasted a bit over 6 months in 1941.

I believe Bednarre's point is that in terms of getting troops to the front, even with heavy loses, the Russians were not as close to the edge of their personnel pool as the Germans were. Moreover, interestingly, the Russians mobilized women to fight rather than going into the pool of men over 44. The Germans got out the old guys but not the women and lost the war.

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 41
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/9/2011 1:29:40 PM   
MengJiao

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adnan Meshuggi

If the game forces the axis player to reduce his own limited pool, he can´t do anything to reach a line the russian player can´t attack in the necessary strenght.

But - as it seems in the moment - the german numbers get halved by blizzard, the german loose the capability to fight a war in 42. You break the german neck much earlier as it happend historically.

So, the goal of a axis player is to save the own manpower pool and bleed the russian one white. Otherwise the axis can do what he want, it doesen´t matter.

Why play at all, if you can do what you want but it doesen´t matter. Not because the enemy is so superior (he isn´t) but because the weather effects are a balancing system for game-engine-problems
Because, if the axis side is too strong in 41, you can destroy the russian side to easily in 42. this would be wrong,too.

How are there "game-engine problems" if the game not only can duplicate history in terms of inflicting loses on the Russians, but suggests (as does a glance at what would have happened if the Germans had not done so well in 1941) that the Russians could well have done much better given their preponderance in men and machines and utter ruthlessness.

(in reply to Adnan Meshuggi)
Post #: 42
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/9/2011 2:24:31 PM   
Adnan Meshuggi

quote:

ORIGINAL: MengJiao

quote:

How are there "game-engine problems" if the game not only can duplicate history in terms of inflicting loses on the Russians, but suggests (as does a glance at what would have happened if the Germans had not done so well in 1941) that the Russians could well have done much better given their preponderance in men and machines and utter ruthlessness.

Hi,
maybe me english made the mistakes?
My point is:
The game should do this:
a.) an experienced german player can do better as historical in 1941 (as far as i look to the aars, this is true untill Blizzard) - in russian losses, in german losses (lower numbers), if the russian play sir robinsky in ground.
I think we agree, in a game only the starting date/locations are in stone, after that it should be possible to do better/worse as historically. Right?
Now, if the german side do better untill blizzard, so the historical results (high losses by winter and russian attacks) are NOT a baseline for the game in this stage of war, i think the german should also be able to defend better as historically. Why? Because with more troops, better toe, better supportline and and and a defence of the russian winter attacks should be possible (do you agree? Or do you say, it doesn´t matter, if blizzard then germans dead)
In the moment, blizzard penalize the germans in a way that
1.) the german army suffer so extreme (even more if they lost less troops as historical untill dez.41) that their comeback-capability is nullified.
2.) the russian army is so strong, that all troops can push german defenders "at will", even troops that had zero winter capability, too.
I call this a game-problem, because it is HARDCODED.

b.) if the german player make big mistakes, the russian player should be able to push the german army much more as historically (like it is in the moment), but ONLY if the odds are in favour of the russian side.

Now, can you tell me if you think my opinion is wrong? i can´t see any mistake in it.
Because it is a game with historical start dates, after that you and your opponent can do what they want. If one side can do what it want and get kicked because hardcoded "gamebalancer" then the game IS broken.

As i wrote, in the moment the game does NOT duplicate historical results in historical gameplay. That IS the problem.
And you never will achive this. The russian player will avoid a lot russian mistakes, the german player will avoid german mistakes.
If the result of this is ALLWAYS a broken german army, the game is broken.

I never said, that the russian should have no chance to be better as historical results show. In the moment we have this as the 99%-result.
That IS part of the problem - and to be honest, if russian players tell us, that the blizzard is a gamestopper, i think someone should do something serious against this.
why? because the gc 41 is for most players the really important scenario. And with this fact (do you agree?) we have the problem that any german player get kicked in blizzard in a way, that he cannot come back. So, if for gc the axis side ALLWAYS is in a worse situation to the historical results, why should someone play it?

I do belive that 2by3 will change these things, but it needs time. And - equal important - these changes should not lead to "german victory with crushing results, independent what player is doing it (so i am not interested in a switched situation with "only german victories").
Hope you understand that i see it just the way that the game needs more balancing to the axis side for winter. If we find out that in 42 or 43 the russians need more changing to the gameplay i want to fix this, too.

So no fanboyism

But it is true, i belive that the russian war is way different to the pacific war. Here everything was doomed from day 1. In the eastern war, this is not true - esp. with a good german defence (the russians had huge problems with large offensive operations untill bagriation, here they had mostly sucsess because the germans had bled white and the defence was hampered by hitlers "Halt-Befehl".

I also agree that if the germans do better as historically, the russians should get more help (improving production, more lendlease...)
or say, if the germans can crush the russian frontline in 42, the germans have to give more troops to africa, italy (43) france (44)...
why? i doubt that hitler had left so many troops in russia (that are "not necessary" from his pov), if in other locations he needs more troops. Latest in 43 with italy, you could make a multiplicator, say - germans have so much more vp or such level of troop-numbers, they need to give 15%, 50% or even 100% more troops as historically. This could make it difficulty for the axis, but could be explained as "Hitlers Wahnsinn". Sure, these extra troops can given free (not by name), but like in WitP AE it can be very expensive....

(in reply to MengJiao)
Post #: 43
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/9/2011 4:48:35 PM   
MengJiao

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: MengJiao

quote:

why? because the gc 41 is for most players the really important scenario.

Well, that's the problem in a nut shell. The essential problem people seem to have with the game is
that it is too realistic in that it sets the likelihood of knocking out or fatally crippling the USSR
in 1941 at close to zero.
When people blame the blizzard for this, what they are really saying is that given x amount of damage
in 1941, I should be able to finish off the Russians in 1942, which is just another way of saying: I want
to cripple the USSR in 1941. The game works very well because there is no way to lockup a win in 1941,
not even round-about by suggesting the blizzard ought to help the Germans win in 1942.

My suggestion is: Start the game in 1942. The germans get to lock in a very good 1941 and early 1942
and you can make a case for giving the Germans more troops on grounds they get out of Africa
and cut down forces in the West.

Post #: 44
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/9/2011 6:14:15 PM   
KenchiSulla

Manpower... You need to kill/capture a lot of russians to "win"...

Honestly, the war was, I believe, unwinnable for the germans... In game terms doing better then historical is a win in my book..

but then again, I play the Japanese in WitP: AE...

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to fsp)
Post #: 45
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/9/2011 10:29:28 PM   
marcpennington

I'm not certain, but there may be at least a bit of a mechanic in play that models the gradual collapse of the Red Army. In the current GC against the AI I'm playing, random Russian units that are in supply have begun to surrender as a result of combat since early July 1942 (something I had never once seen up until that point, with the obvious exception of fortified regions.) At that point in the game, I had controlled Leningrad and Moscow since the previous year, and had just crossed the Volga north of Stalingrad. The surrenders started out as a trickle (1 or 2 surrenders a turn), but seems to be picking up pace---- in my current turn in late September, around 9-10 supplied Russian units have surrendered, including a couple corps.

I'm not sure the mechanic involved here. I had initially though it might have been a hidden trigger as a result of crossing the Volga as it started almost immediately after-wards, but assume it must be a result of the significant amounts on Soviet manpower and production that I've captured. Nevertheless, the Red Army may have at least something of a breaking point, even if it is one that I highly doubt is reachable against a skilled opponent.

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 46
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/9/2011 10:52:21 PM   
fbs

Imho, the issue is not industrial production, but political.

The USSR is just too large to be conquered by military means -- just like China. In these countries, military victory is a way to obtain a political settlement.

Napoleon had a much bigger Army than the Russians, but couldn't win because the Russians didn't surrender. In 1917 they did surrender, but because of political crisis - it had nothing to do with recruitment pools. The Germans could have won in 1941 if the Soviets were politically shaken and a settlement could be reached that they could accept. Clausewitz at his best.

The best analysis I saw about the question "Why the Soviets didn't lose the war" was actually macroeconomic, not military or political. In that study, someone (I never grasped the name) argued that, if X=0 means surrender and X=1 means continues fighting, (and everything in the middle being the will to do one or other), then the expected return from the Soviet population from a decision to surrender or fight, that is f(X), was made of several factors, and because of the fear that both the Germans and Stalin inspired in the Soviet population was very high, the expected return for surrendering or collaborating was very low. It meant vandalism, death, deportation, slavery, loss of property, imprisonment, etc... (either from Hitler and/or Stalin). Meanwhile fighting provided better return (both from Hitler and Stalin), even at high personal risk.

So the Soviets didn't break because of that. That was different than the French surrendering, where they still expected, from the Old Order, that the surrendering side would just pay some money, lose some land and resume with their lives.

So, ...IF... the Germans had capitalized in the hatred that several regional groups had against Stalin (Ukrainians, Baltic peoples, Tartars, religious groups, etc..)... and had promised to give land instead of destroying everything... and had promised local autonomy... and religious freedom... then it might have been a big IF.

(in reply to marcpennington)
Post #: 47
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 12:04:10 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: fbs

So, ...IF... the Germans had capitalized in the hatred that several regional groups had against Stalin (Ukrainians, Baltic peoples, Tartars, religious groups, etc..)... and had promised to give land instead of destroying everything... and had promised local autonomy... and religious freedom... then it might have been a big IF.

Which explains why Stalin had many 'autonomous republics' deported east.

And for the Germans to do such a thing would of been contrary to their creed of Aryan superiority.

(in reply to fbs)
Post #: 48
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 12:05:32 AM   
Klydon

quote:

ORIGINAL: fbs

Napoleon had a much bigger Army than the Russians, but couldn't win because the Russians didn't surrender. In 1917 they did surrender, but because of political crisis - it had nothing to do with recruitment pools.

I disagree with this. The Russians were at the end of their recruiting pool and could not make good the losses of Brusilov's offensive. The Central Powers had nearly 4 million prisoners and Russian casualties were between 1.3 to 2 million depending on who/what you look at. The Tsarist system was not able to effectively mobilize the country like the Stalinist system was able to. In addition, the Russians took great pains to relocate a lot of industry to the Urals and beyond between WW1 and WW2. This was not really known to anyone and also played a key role in Russia's ability to continue the war despite losing so much territory.

I do agree the German's best bet was a negotiated settlement, but it was basically going to be along the lines of the treaty of Brest-Litvsk of WW1 which was very draconian and the Russians would have never accepted it if they had a choice.

(in reply to fbs)
Post #: 49
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 3:20:33 AM   
Panama

Do not make the mistake of thinking in Western terms when considering the Soviet Union. You will not come to an understanding. The Soviets had planned to turn over the Army, the entire Army, every 8 months during intense campaigning. They had been preparing for a war against someone since 1927.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 50
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 3:56:40 AM   
pat.casey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panama

Do not make the mistake of thinking in Western terms when considering the Soviet Union. You will not come to an understanding. The Soviets had planned to turn over the Army, the entire Army, every 8 months during intense campaigning. They had been preparing for a war against someone since 1927.

They were still running low on manpower by 1945. The Germans ran out first, and more catastrophically, but the soviets lost about 35% of their military age manpower in the war (ages 15..49)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties_of_the_Soviet_Union

By the time of the battle of Berlin, the size of the red army was already dropping from its 1943 peak as they had serious trouble getting replacements.

If you're curious, losing 35% of your military age males is an amazing high count; the fact that soviet society continued to function at all with losses like that is a tribute (in a disgusting sort of way I suppose) to the stalanist regime.

By contrast, the germans lost about 4.5 million casualties out of a prewar military age population of around 25 million (so they lost maybe 16%) or about half the soviet loss rate, and the Germans ran the barrel dry as well.

Point being I think that, as others have pointed out, the Soviets actually were at the end of their manpower tether in 1945. They had enough to win the war, but not much more. If the Germans had managed, for example, to kill another 4-5 million soviets in 1941-42, the red army would have been that much smaller in 1943-45.

Edit:

Its worth pointing out that, in absolute terms, the soviet population was only about 2.5 times greater than the ethnic german population of the reich (roughly 200m soviets vs 80m ethnic germans in the greater reich). So an overall casualty rate of > 2.5:1 in favor of the germans theoretically favored the axis.

Naturally the germans were taking casualties on other fronts, and arguably had a lower manpower saturation point than the soviets did, but even if you assume the real "break even" point was 3:1 or 3.5:1, those are actually achievable numbers within the game engine.

The soviet population was large, but it was not infinite.

< Message edited by pat.casey -- 3/10/2011 4:30:12 AM >

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 51
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 4:03:09 AM   
mmarquo

This is a significant frustration I have: inability to guage how much I have disrupted my opponent's production capacity; I want to develop more "trust" with the game engine - that is, if I do capture important cities, I would appreciate some degree of assurance, somehow, that it has acheived a purpose.

Marquo

(in reply to fsp)
Post #: 52
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 4:16:13 AM   
Klydon

Look at the Russian OOB by the end of the war and note the number of Baltic state, Polish and even Rumanian units that were serving in the Red army just to mention several. A couple of the German Generals make mention in their books that it was clear the Russians were really scraping the bottom of the barrel towards the end of the war, but by then it was too late for the German side. They also make mention that had a different strategy been pursued with the idea of wearing down the Russians, things may have been different. It will be interesting if it is possible in game to do this or not. Certainly the Germans have more of a uphill battle as they typically can't inflict the losses that the Russians suffered in 1941 simply because the Russians are going to be far smarter about the situation than what actually happen. That extra manpower will have to be dealt with. 

(in reply to mmarquo)
Post #: 53
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 6:05:45 AM   
VictorCharlie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klydon

Look at the Russian OOB by the end of the war and note the number of Baltic state, Polish and even Rumanian units that were serving in the Red army just to mention several. A couple of the German Generals make mention in their books that it was clear the Russians were really scraping the bottom of the barrel towards the end of the war, but by then it was too late for the German side. They also make mention that had a different strategy been pursued with the idea of wearing down the Russians, things may have been different. It will be interesting if it is possible in game to do this or not. Certainly the Germans have more of a uphill battle as they typically can't inflict the losses that the Russians suffered in 1941 simply because the Russians are going to be far smarter about the situation than what actually happen. That extra manpower will have to be dealt with. 

Well should the Soviets be penalised more in the first few turns of 1941?

Not only were they totally surprised, their command and control was slow to react to the invasion.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 54
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 6:30:54 AM   
pat.casey

quote:

ORIGINAL: victor charlie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klydon

Well should the Soviets be penalised more in the first few turns of 1941?

Not only were they totally surprised, their command and control was slow to react to the invasion.

Personally I wouldn't like to implement anything which removed the soviet player's flexibility. Its absolutely no fun to have to play the first few turns of the game with a "command penalty" or some other artificial stupidity that makes your units do unwise things against your will.

The balance problem you are hinting at though I think is real. To whit, the historical soviets made a series of monumentally stupid decisions and still managed to win the war. The axis, in contrast, generally made intelligent decisions (with noteworthy exceptions), and still managed to lose.

If both sides are played by equally competent humans, I'd reasonably expect the soviets to vastly outperform history.

To balance that out, I'd offer an alternate start scenario which significantly improves axis capabilities in 1941 (so they have a better shot at damaging the red army) and then gives them ahistorical reinforcements through the mid war to make a german offensive into 1943 a legitimate possibility.

I think from a PBEM balance standpoint that'd be the most popular scenario in the same sense that the most popular WITP scenario is the infamous "scenario 2" which gives the Japanese a *lot* of extra help.

My point I suppose is that I don't think this game can be both highly historical and balanced for PBEM. I'd prefer to fix this by leaving the game engine intact (full freedom of action to both sides, historical equipment and combat performance, etc), but altering the start positions looking for more balance.

Post #: 55
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 11:16:17 AM   
Adnan Meshuggi

You are right about the dump russian decisions... but these had deep impact on the german capability to fight on

Sure - the russians lost so many troops in the beginning, but these guys fought hard and well. They caused the axis troops losses, time losses, material losses.
With the russians loosing less, the germans are stronger. But the blizzard do the damage to any german army... that is one problem

the other is, the germans did a lot mistakes too
So if you say the russians should be better as historically, you ignore the german mistakes in 41 and 42.
That is really unfair and historically just wrong.

That are just my 2 cents...

(in reply to pat.casey)
Post #: 56
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 1:37:13 PM   
BleedingOrange

I think once you start the historical losses, replacements, etc should be a baseline. If the Germans lose less than they did the first year or conserve men later (no 6th army) then they should get more divisions or keep more for the East front. Having a 100K less losses the first year should allow a couple extra divisions. The game should also check the replacement pool to see if the TOE should be dropped unlike now where you can have plenty of men and machines but the game nerfs your divisions to be historical. The German player should be rewarded for playing better and that includes stopping their offensive and preparing for winter. The reason the Soviets were so successful the first winter is they were hitting tired undersupplied troops out in the open. If the Germans are set up in defensible territory, supplied and not fatigued they should be able to hold and bleed the Soviets. Right now the game punishes the Germans by forcing them into the same strategic mistakes made in history but allows the Soviets to avoid most of theirs. It allows a totally ahistoric retreat which Stalin would never have allowed and doesn't cost anything like it would have if it had been used in real life. They not only get their historical replacements, but can buy more. Seems a double standard to me. Just my two cents

Post #: 57
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 1:42:26 PM   
mmarquo

I think it is fine as is - looking at the AARs one realizes that players are still making subtle and some not so subtle mistakes; there is a steep learning curve and until "we" collectively have put in more many hours of playing time, IMHO the jury is still out.

People are still discussing the pros/cons of disbanding HQs, spending APs on this, that or the other; confusion reigns about supply, production, leaders, SUs - the game is just so deep that it will take time to master.

Marquo

Post #: 58
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 1:50:45 PM   
Klydon

I agree with Pat that the Russians should not have any extra penalties on them to "help" the Germans and to make things geared to produce a more "historical" result. They have a lot of penalties already with a screwed up command structure. (Watch the difference between how well replacements and recovery go for units in good command vs those in bad for one example). Rail issues and bad units are another example. In most cases, the Russians are going to be able to do better than historical territory wise, but that is not always the case and they should do better in the loss department. The Germans will get their opportunities to avoid major mistakes later (avoiding a Stalingrad debacle and Kursk for example to name two). 

Part of all this is going to be an attitude adjustment for many German players. "Winning" is not crushing the Russians in 40% of the games. The Germans should have a chance of an outright win, but it will probably be fairly low across a broad spectrum of games. The other thing that needs to happen after they get the blizzard stuff fixed is to see games that last several years. The Russians have to deal with the German onslaught and it is only fair that the Germans play to the end, even past the point of where they can "win" outright.

I also agree to the concept of German TOE changes being based on losses as that the big reason historically why they were made. Probably pretty hard to implement if you get off a time line however, so I don't know if this idea will ever see the light of day.

< Message edited by Klydon -- 3/10/2011 1:52:33 PM >

(in reply to BleedingOrange)
Post #: 59
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 4:43:17 PM   
Adnan Meshuggi

So you and others say basically, the axis side (please do not ignore the other nations) has in 90 (99?)% of the games only the chance to do as they did historically?

In the moment the common axis player (compared with the common russian player) is far behind the historical results.

So, in gameterms, why should this be okay?
Nobody like to answer this easy question.

In 41 untill blizzard, the axis should cause on average as many losses as they did historically. Is it in the game?
no
in the blizzard, in history the germans were exhausted and depleted. Their supply lines were thin, overstretched. In the game the axis side mostly avoid this mistakes, are digged in, prepared and "well supplied"
Still they got crushed by the blizzard - it doesn´t matter how good the russian player is, the game makes it sure.

So again, why should someone think that it is worth to play the grand campagin, after beeing much better as historically, he get crushed by blizzard (WAD) and his strength is way behind the historical losses he had.
So not even his gameplay will be nullified (even if loosing less troops (saving strenght))  but he will also be punished more.

With this, the game should result in easy russian victories latest in 43. Historically the russians were bled white cause of the losses. How do the game handle the late-war-combats? Do the axis have more casulties as the russians?

again i like to say that the gc41 is "the scenario".
I also agree, that the game has big problems if a "1943-1945"-campagin with historical start forces shows significant more sucsessfull axis players. In this case the game needs to be checked, too. Because in this stage of the war, the russians are too strong.
Also i think if both sides plays "historical", the losses should be like they were historically... has someone some tests about it?

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play issue? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI