Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE Page: <<   < prev  177 178 [179] 180 181   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/11/2012 2:43:32 PM   
crsutton

Well, just from looking at the power of Rader's CD guns, the issue is how GJ is going to resupply his troops as supply ships will have to face the guns just like the initial invasion force did. Perhaps he can get them in if BBs are in each supply convoy. But considering the equal number of AV for both sides, I don't see him blowing Rader out of that hex in just a few turns. This will be very interesting.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to cwDeici)
Post #: 5341
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/11/2012 2:45:07 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

just what I've been saying for years, IJN experience edge is so drastically influencing those night engagements that they rule the Sea in 41 and they still do so in 45. Realism is thrown overboard here, it was never there and won't ever be because radar controlled firing would have torn the IJN to pieces at five times the range already the battle started off.

The technical advantage the Allied had from mid war on - aka radar controlled gunnery - comes never into play in a way you can even match the Japanese, let alone become as superior as the USN was in real life. And yes, I think this is only for game balance.

There is no way to train ships above that hardcoded level around 50 just from moving around, there is no good modelling of radar controlled gunnery (in fact, a beta patch changed the beyond visibility range firing into "fire at sight only" - I don't know what happened behind the scene though so I may misunderstand this) and so the IJN just stays in super hero state while the USN stays in dumb ass mode (except those ships that ARRIVE late war with decent exp).

Funnily enough it was BB Washington in this engagement, we all know what real life Washington did to Kirishima in 1942 , here in the game it is Washington in 1944 that gets blown out of the water. While SoDak was hit several times at what 4 or 5k yards, Washington was firing from over 10k yards and landed dozens of hits on Kirishima in real life. In the game I think I could accept the IJN performing better than the USN when being in visual range but the flaw starts right here, the IJN should be hard pushed to even get into visual range without being heavily hit already by excellently working radar controlled gunnery of the USN ships.

Maybe the code prevents a reasonable change to bring this closer (not close but closer) to reality or it is done to keep the IJN competitive throughout the war, I don't know. But noone of all those people on this excellent forum with so many experts on this matter around can really think it would be realistic to see those massacres all the time. Yes, some lucky die rolls also result in a USN victory now and then, but the majority of engagements just sees clear IJN victories. And so the game lets vintage WWI IJN BBs being superior to modern USN BBs in even at the end of the war. Oh well, would it happen to me, I could tell myselve once more to not engage the IJN with my ships.

My point was not only with the battle. I think that is easily fixed by bumping up the Washington's night experience. I read up a bit on her and the 2nd battle of Guadalcanal and her crew and particularly her gun crew were sharper than most, even in 1942. They could load 16 inch shells in half the time expected and they performed as if on a training exercise. Also consider that GJ's battle took place about the same time the Fuso and Yamashiro were pulverized. Seems American night fighting was just fine then? But my larger point is how di all the search planes, rad and subs, and the thousands of other aircraft, miss a task force of tis size that was at sea for a couple of days. That, is the most unrealistic part and that troubles me

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to cwDeici)
Post #: 5342
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/11/2012 2:46:33 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Well, just from looking at the power of Rader's CD guns, the issue is how GJ is going to resupply his troops as supply ships will have to face the guns just like the initial invasion force did.

To quote the movie Starship Troopers: "It a game of numbers, and they have more" In this case GJ has more. Just keep sending ships big and small. Lose a few, GJ has more

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 5343
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/11/2012 2:48:19 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

Something very strange happaned...ALL the leaders of the LCUs that have landed have been replaced by leaders with lower rank and terrible stats...what the hell happened!??!
I may understand that some of them died during the landings...but ALL of them!?!?!??! Com'on....

Just an example...everywhere is like that

Equally as troublesome, GreyJoy, is that there is absolutely zero disruption to this unit. Nada. Not an electronic sausage. I find that not only improbable, but impossible.

Perhaps this is linked with your leadership disappearance and should also be brought up for some bug fixing. Have you mentioned this to your opponent?

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5344
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/11/2012 2:52:26 PM   
pws1225

Good point.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5345
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/11/2012 3:10:33 PM   
Canoerebel

My experience with invaisons has been that CD guns at a particular base or on a particular island become less effective with time. Thus, the same shore guns that ripped into the invasion fleet on D-Day are not quite as effective on D+1 and are considerably less effective or totally ineffective after several days.

That's not always the case - sometimes the guns retain some pop well into the future, but even in those cases the pop was considerably diminished over D-Day.

This makes sense, though. It's as if the invasion beachhead has been secured and the perimeter expanded, so that shipping isn't molested as much as it comes into shore.

Extrapolating my experience to this game is challenging since the number of CD guns is much greater than normal. Still, I wouldn't expect nearly the kind of damage that occurred on D-Day from D+1 forward.

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 5346
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/11/2012 3:17:43 PM   
JohnDillworth

"Equally as troublesome, GreyJoy, is that there is absolutely zero disruption to this unit. Nada. Not an electronic sausage. I find that not only improbable, but impossible.

Perhaps this is linked with your leadership disappearance and should also be brought up for some bug fixing. Have you mentioned this to your opponent? "

Stop, sit tight and don't send a turn. Let Rader know what is going on. Best wait on this until tech support has an answer. In the mean time I'll invite the rest of this lot over to my house to watch a movie. Master and Commander OK or do guys want to watch something else?

< Message edited by JohnDillworth -- 1/11/2012 3:19:09 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5347
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/11/2012 3:23:15 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Rader;

Forgive me if you have done this, but are you certain they aren't "remnants" ashore? They will be identified as "36th Div/1" or some such thing. This happens all the time during amphbious landings. The AI unloads the combat strength first and the support components last with the original unit CO staying with the support units until some critical point is reached and then the portion ashore will become the core unit and the few stragglers on the ships will become the "remnant". At that point, the CO assumes command of the troops ashore and the modifier after the unit name disappears. In the interim, the AI assigns a junior officer to the remnant.

If you have PP's, you can put midling or even very capable leaders in charge of the "remnants" until the CO arrives. Note that the transports have suffered heavily, so many leaders are probably on board burning transports or the unit may have gone into the drink with the CO and have been rescued onto reserve capacity in the TF. Note also that the CO will stay with the support units unitl the great bulk is ahsore (maybe 95%).

You can find the unit parents using that unit button at the top. Once the unit parent is blocked from unloading by vessel damage (or inadequate naval support untis ashore) it is best to get the vessel back to port and disembark and then send back on a fresh vesssel. You may be able to replace the hot shot leader while at sea and get him back into the leader pool. Never tried that.

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 5348
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/11/2012 3:28:06 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Oops...I just saw the screen shot. There is something amiss.

Trading Vandergrift for a Lt Col but getting the 2nd Marine ashore with 99 morale and no disruption is a fair trade.

I'd say "stack overload"

GJ perhaps has > 2**32 units (or 2**64 if he has a 64 bit processor)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 1/11/2012 3:31:52 PM >

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 5349
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/11/2012 3:56:42 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

How much experience do ships gain from shore bombardments?

from nothning to not much. After the usual ongoing defeats by inferior or equal IJN forces I tried to find a way to increase night (day is no problem anyway) experience of my ships and thought about naval bombardments. Result was frustrating. The only way to get exp up is engaging enemy ships and this means your ships will die before they will ever reach IJN levels to be competitive.

Thanks! Bad news though, I guess.

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 5350
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/11/2012 4:04:42 PM   
hades1001

Greyjoy,

I have reported this bug a few days ago and it has been fixed by the latest patch. R7a i think.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3000595

[1108r7]
Fixed Cargo capacity for resources not fully used [MEM]
Fixed Naval groups on delayed ships shown on lists [MEM]
Fixed No pilot replacement selection from trainee [MEM]
Fixed Releasing one veteran pilot causes needed pilot count to go to zero [MEM]
Added Mouse-over on keep/upgrade factory will show the next air/device and when it it is due [MEM]
Fixed CS Convoy would not necessarily return to the correct destination when waypoints used [MEM]
Fixed For CS, not being docked at home base causes confusion for return trip [MEM]
Fixed LCU leader being lost on landing fragment swap [MEM]
Fixed Multiple sub-units being in same TF being merged [MEM]
Fixed Ship building at captured enemy base could be cancelled incorrectly [MEM]
Fixed Invasion auto-bombardment exhausting supply. Auto based on available supply [MEM]

(in reply to cwDeici)
Post #: 5351
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/11/2012 4:05:01 PM   
obvert

With all of those ships lost, could it be that the leaders were ALL on ships that got torched in the second day of the landings? And that they were in the fragments that were lost? The captain goes down with the ship kind of thing.

The lack of any disruption makes me think this is not just a fragmentation issue. Losing the leader of the unit would cause disruption alone wouldn't it?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5352
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/11/2012 4:31:45 PM   
hades1001

And I just brought up the ship exp issue in WAR ROOM too. Looks like there is no effective way to train your early warships to the same level as those ships arrived after Jan 1,44.

And the radar control gunnery is not simulated in the game. IJN still rule the sea with old ships. Which sounds funny though.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 5353
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/11/2012 5:15:51 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

My experience with invaisons has been that CD guns at a particular base or on a particular island become less effective with time. Thus, the same shore guns that ripped into the invasion fleet on D-Day are not quite as effective on D+1 and are considerably less effective or totally ineffective after several days.

That's not always the case - sometimes the guns retain some pop well into the future, but even in those cases the pop was considerably diminished over D-Day.

This makes sense, though. It's as if the invasion beachhead has been secured and the perimeter expanded, so that shipping isn't molested as much as it comes into shore.

Extrapolating my experience to this game is challenging since the number of CD guns is much greater than normal. Still, I wouldn't expect nearly the kind of damage that occurred on D-Day from D+1 forward.

Based upon my experiences playing the Marianas scenario, the Saipan battery was quite effective so long as supply held. Once supply failed, then the effectiveness of the battery changed. The Honshu CD batteries are a base 10 log more powerful, so I would expect significantly more 'pop' from them for the forseeable future.

GreyJoy-what's the "port" disruption at this time? Aerial port bombardment per se would be very strongly recommended to disrupt / neutralize those CDs before you land further troops.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5354
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/11/2012 5:26:34 PM   
HansBolter

I'm playing Iroman Japan v3 and after establishing fortress palembang with 67k supply I see the same effects on degrading efficacy of CDs guns WITH supply that canoerebel describes.

Hans

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5355
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/11/2012 5:35:40 PM   
Chickenboy

What Palembang CD guns exist in that scenario (screenshot)? Would be interesting to compare the capabilities and reserve of these guns to those at Hashinato. Any disruption of the CD guns at Palembang that mar their effectiveness?

Also, what is the fort level in Palembang compared to Hashinato? Terrain? Both of these should significantly impact the resilience of a CD battery.

If the CD gun is not disrupted or out of supply it will shoot on. There's no discernable diminishing of effect just because the opponent has troops ashore, IMO.

I think you're comparing acorn-sized CD batteries to oak tree sized CD batteries and expecting the same observed diminishing returns. I think it's unrealistic to assume that you get that as there are many other variables at play with GreyJoy's game that you may not have experienced.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 5356
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/11/2012 5:41:47 PM   
GreyJoy

Ok guys...double checked.
There are no troops left in the ships. Not even a single soldier.
No fragmented units. Nada

Plus Rader tells me he has the same issue. Since i landed all his LCU leaders at Hachinoe disappeared and got substituted by pure garbage.

For me this is a kind of game stopper. I cannot try to break his perimeter with these leaders...

We'll wait till Michealm tells us what to do...

and a re-do of the turn with the newest beta?...you know that our orders could not be the same everywhere...and surprise in this turn was everything...

Bad luck really....

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5357
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/11/2012 6:40:22 PM   
Cap Mandrake

GJ;

You won't necessarily have to re-enter orders. It may be possible for Rader to upgrade, run the file he got from you, then enter new orders after file execution. There is no violation of secrecy in that case but he does have to redo orders for the turn after the landing.

It may well be, however, that the file execution will differ.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5358
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/11/2012 6:46:33 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

It may well be, however, that the file execution will differ.

It might. If it is vastly different you guys might want to agree to run it 3 times and take the result that most closely recreates the original turn. Other than the lack of disruption of course. IT should be close. There didn't seem to be anything wacky about the turn. BTW, is it the same turn with the Tokyo air destruction or the one after?

Post #: 5359
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/11/2012 6:53:41 PM   
crsutton

Probably should be my new first rule of thumb. Never change a beta right before a big operation.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 5360
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/11/2012 7:09:56 PM   
Cap Mandrake

If file execution differs after the patch, them are the breaks. Neither player will have gained an unfair advantage by prior knowledge. Rerunning the file multiple times on the same patch should yield the same result.

As it stands now, GJ has gained a HUGE advantage by landing troops with zero disruption, even if his leaders are messed up. Even with poor leaders it would take the 3rd Guards Tank Army, tactical nukes and Marshall Zhukov to move 9 divisions.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5361
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/12/2012 1:34:49 AM   
Knucles2

:::sigh:::
I'm finally current with this AAR and now it stalls.

I hope you guys can find a work around.

Whatever happens, this has been a truely epic ride...thanx for posting it .

Post #: 5362
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/12/2012 2:07:20 AM   
Nemo121

Greyjoy, as re: Shirley ---- Shirley you can't be serious.

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to Knucles2)
Post #: 5363
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/12/2012 11:07:37 AM   
GreyJoy

Ok Guys, we have a beta for us that should solve the problem. However, after some tests, we need to re-enter the orders for the last turn (air battle of Hakodate and landings at Hachinoe)... as you may understand, the surprise is now lost and the landings could go really worse than before...

Bad luck...really...

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 5364
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/12/2012 11:13:17 AM   
GreyJoy

So guys...finger crossed and let's all hope that the landings will go as smooth as they went...

If nothing changes (very difficult), my idea is to make a first attack asap, before he can send reinforcements in.... 6000 of my AVs (well supplied and not distrupted) should be able to inflict some damage to 6000 jap AVs...let's see...

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5365
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/12/2012 11:15:35 AM   
obvert

Even with the possibility that it could go badly, the landing ship losses were pretty high already. There should be some disruption and you should have your good leaders. Maybe his air attack will not fare as well, either. Never know.

Exciting that it's going forward at least. And that you two are pioneering everything I might face in several years! It must be good to have a few days break after the sprint you've been running for the past year with this game. I found it really good to get away for a few weeks at Christmas and clear my head, then come back refreshed and more focused in the new year.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5366
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/12/2012 11:19:58 AM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Even with the possibility that it could go badly, the landing ship losses were pretty high already. There should be some disruption and you should have your good leaders. Maybe his air attack will not fare as well, either. Never know.

Exciting that it's going forward at least. And that you two are pioneering everything I might face in several years! It must be good to have a few days break after the sprint you've been running for the past year with this game. I found it really good to get away for a few weeks at Christmas and clear my head, then come back refreshed and more focused in the new year.

Don't know...the only thing i know is that i keep on thinking about Hachinoe and about our men stuck on the beaches, facing 250,000 japanese soldiers dug in right in front of them...

200,000 allied soldiers have landed so far. We need to bring 350,000 more and break the perimeter...cant wait

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 5367
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/12/2012 12:28:07 PM   
Knucles2

Time travel does have its quirks, GJ :D

Being paranoid doesn't necesserilly mean that "they" aren't actually out to get you...

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5368
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/12/2012 4:05:30 PM   
Cribtop

Assuming both players are required to enter the same orders (which is how it should be), then lack of surprise shouldn't matter. Obviously the individual battles may turn out differently, but it's not like Rader gets to order the Combined Fleet to Hachinoe or scrub the Hakodate bombing attacks in favor of nav attacks, correct?

(in reply to Knucles2)
Post #: 5369
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/12/2012 5:20:01 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

What Palembang CD guns exist in that scenario (screenshot)? Would be interesting to compare the capabilities and reserve of these guns to those at Hashinato. Any disruption of the CD guns at Palembang that mar their effectiveness?

Also, what is the fort level in Palembang compared to Hashinato? Terrain? Both of these should significantly impact the resilience of a CD battery.

If the CD gun is not disrupted or out of supply it will shoot on. There's no discernable diminishing of effect just because the opponent has troops ashore, IMO.

I think you're comparing acorn-sized CD batteries to oak tree sized CD batteries and expecting the same observed diminishing returns. I think it's unrealistic to assume that you get that as there are many other variables at play with GreyJoy's game that you may not have experienced.

I don't want to start a fight here, but I believe you are inferring far too much from my post.

I neither compared nor expected anything.

I simply related my experience for what it's worth to anyone willing to consider it.

Believing it's of no value and discounting it is your privledge and choice.

Hans

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5370
Page:   <<   < prev  177 178 [179] 180 181   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE Page: <<   < prev  177 178 [179] 180 181   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI