Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Latest Beta patch

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Latest Beta patch Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/5/2011 4:48:56 PM   
Numdydar

There are two main updates from where you are. The last official patch and the betas. Just to be safe, I would update to the last official patch which is available in the members section and then upgrade to the latest beta. I went down this same path as you and did not find any issues in the upgrade with the games I am currently running.

HOWEVER, I eventually abandoned the game I was playing and statrted over because of the changes to the subs in the database in the official patch, the infamous split tubes change. I wanted to see what a difference it made, and the change is impressive imho. So I was very glad I started over, even if it was a pita. Unfortunately, the ONLY way that the split tubes will take effect is to restart a game as the database after the game starts cannot be changed.

Both the betas and the official patch will NOT effect any data that is contained in the ongoing database that keeps track of everything. Mater of fact, the betas ONLY change two files, a dll and the exe. Michael who is doing an amazing job with the betas is under the direction that he can do whatever he wants with the exe, but cannot do anything with the database. Even though everyone knows that it could use some TLC too.

My suggestion is as above if you are worried. Make a complete copy of you AE dir and update the copy, play a while and see if everything works as desired. If for some bizarre reason it does not, then you can safely go back to your original.

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 31
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/5/2011 4:49:44 PM   
Miller

I'm really tearing my hair out over this. I'm only playing one game and we are still using the last official patch. My opponent is willing to upgrade, but he is playing another game where one of his opponents, or his opponents other games opponents (you get the picture) does not want to upgrade until its official. ARRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

< Message edited by Miller -- 10/5/2011 4:50:53 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 32
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/5/2011 5:18:11 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

There are two main updates from where you are. The last official patch and the betas. Just to be safe, I would update to the last official patch which is available in the members section and then upgrade to the latest beta. I went down this same path as you and did not find any issues in the upgrade with the games I am currently running.

HOWEVER, I eventually abandoned the game I was playing and statrted over because of the changes to the subs in the database in the official patch, the infamous split tubes change. I wanted to see what a difference it made, and the change is impressive imho. So I was very glad I started over, even if it was a pita. Unfortunately, the ONLY way that the split tubes will take effect is to restart a game as the database after the game starts cannot be changed.

Both the betas and the official patch will NOT effect any data that is contained in the ongoing database that keeps track of everything. Mater of fact, the betas ONLY change two files, a dll and the exe. Michael who is doing an amazing job with the betas is under the direction that he can do whatever he wants with the exe, but cannot do anything with the database. Even though everyone knows that it could use some TLC too.

My suggestion is as above if you are worried. Make a complete copy of you AE dir and update the copy, play a while and see if everything works as desired. If for some bizarre reason it does not, then you can safely go back to your original.

If the data in the scenario file changed, then the code will query you the first time you load the save. If you answer to include the data changes, then you should get the split tube model for the subs. That was one area where people had problems and Michael improved the code that pulls in the data changes to ongoing games.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 33
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/5/2011 5:22:57 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

I'm really tearing my hair out over this. I'm only playing one game and we are still using the last official patch. My opponent is willing to upgrade, but he is playing another game where one of his opponents, or his opponents other games opponents (you get the picture) does not want to upgrade until its official. ARRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AE allows for multiple installs that do not interfere with one another. Many of us use this to keep each PBM separate. What you do is copy the entire folder-tree, and copy your short cuts. Remember to change both lines in each shortcut to point to the new folder. I've even posted screen pics in the past of how I have mine set up.

Your opponent can have a second install and only put the Beta in one of them.

Of course, even that is unnecessary because the Beta goes in its own folder and is accessed via its own shortcut. So, you can easily run one PBM with the Beta and one PBM with the official release.

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 34
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/5/2011 5:45:01 PM   
Miller

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

AE allows for multiple installs that do not interfere with one another. Many of us use this to keep each PBM separate. What you do is copy the entire folder-tree, and copy your short cuts. Remember to change both lines in each shortcut to point to the new folder. I've even posted screen pics in the past of how I have mine set up.

Of course, even that is unnecessary because the Beta goes in its own folder and is accessed via its own shortcut. So, you can easily run one PBM with the Beta and one PBM with the official release.

So in effect he only has to install the beta and it will not interfere with his other game?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 35
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/5/2011 5:49:48 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

So in effect he only has to install the beta and it will not interfere with his other game?

Load the Beta yourself and you will see how Michael set it up. Very convenient.

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 36
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/5/2011 6:05:57 PM   
Shark7

Yep, you can run both at the same time without problems. Just be sure to set all your switches on the beta shortcut so they match any switches you have on your main game shortcut.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 37
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/5/2011 7:14:20 PM   
Numdydar

quote:

quote:

If the data in the scenario file changed, then the code will query you the first time you load the save. If you answer to include the data changes, then you should get the split tube model for the subs. That was one area where people had problems and Michael improved the code that pulls in the data changes to ongoing games.

I have two games running, one where we started before the split tube database change and one started after the change. I can tell you that the subs work totally different in the game that I started after the DB change versus the one that was not restarted after the change.

Also, I believe that the sub model changed in the DB to model the split tubes correctly (it's been a while and my memory is fuzzy on this lol). So that would NOT be reflected in the DB that the game uses for the ongoing changes. So answering that question 'Yes' (which I have done whenever i have been asked) apparently does NOT bring the split tubes into an ongoing game.

I know that the subs are launching far less torps on a consitent basis in the restarted game versus the other one. While not tracking this in detail, it appears half the number that the other game launches. Which makes sense as only half the tubes are firing now versus all of them.

Both games are using the latest betas too. So it sure looks like the game needs to be restarted to use the split tubes. If there is some way around that so that my other game can use this change, I would love to hear it.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 38
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/5/2011 7:28:23 PM   
steamboateng

Yes, it's my understanding that the '6i' patch is the 'comprehensive', as pointed out in a previous postSo far (I'm still doing the Dec8 set-up) the game runs well. I used the performance switches which boosted performance by getting rid of much of the lag time when setting parol zones and waypoints.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 39
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/5/2011 7:35:08 PM   
witpqs

quote:

I have two games running, one where we started before the split tube database change and one started after the change. I can tell you that the subs work totally different in the game that I started after the DB change versus the one that was not restarted after the change.

Also, I believe that the sub model changed in the DB to model the split tubes correctly (it's been a while and my memory is fuzzy on this lol). So that would NOT be reflected in the DB that the game uses for the ongoing changes. So answering that question 'Yes' (which I have done whenever i have been asked) apparently does NOT bring the split tubes into an ongoing game.

I know that the subs are launching far less torps on a consitent basis in the restarted game versus the other one. While not tracking this in detail, it appears half the number that the other game launches. Which makes sense as only half the tubes are firing now versus all of them.

Both games are using the latest betas too. So it sure looks like the game needs to be restarted to use the split tubes. If there is some way around that so that my other game can use this change, I would love to hear it.

I think Michael has worked the code so the split tube model will be brought in, but you can check his notes to be sure (or obviously trying it with the latest Beta would tell). My point to byron13 was to use the latest Beta before loading the save game so that if he does answer 'yes' to get data changes then he will have the most fixed-up code working for him at that.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 40
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/6/2011 9:14:29 AM   
fabertong

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sooooo, does that mean I can run one PBEM with the Beta....and one without......without having to create to AE folders?....which I'd rather avoid as I did this in old WitP and it did my head in.

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 41
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/6/2011 3:43:26 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: fabertong

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sooooo, does that mean I can run one PBEM with the Beta....and one without......without having to create to AE folders?....which I'd rather avoid as I did this in old WitP and it did my head in.

It does mean that, yes.

Keeping separate folders for each PBM still has advantages. Different maps, pwhex files, different versions of the Beta (if more than one PBM then not all opponents are likely to upgrade at the same time!), no problem with colliding save games, etc.

(in reply to fabertong)
Post #: 42
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/6/2011 8:35:53 PM   
steamboateng

The Beta will create a 'Beta2' folder within your AE folder, and extract its content to that. Beta updates will extract to the same folder.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 43
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/8/2011 4:37:55 PM   
fabertong

Hi Guys....Just updated to the latest Beta patch....and my game now displays in 4x3 rather than lovely widescreen....and I've forgotten how to change it.....any help would be great.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 44
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/8/2011 4:41:40 PM   
n01487477

quote:

Hi Guys....Just updated to the latest Beta patch....and my game now displays in 4x3 rather than lovely widescreen....and I've forgotten how to change it.....any help would be great.

• copy the switches from your other shortcut.
    Right click -> properties.

(in reply to fabertong)
  • Post #: 45
    RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/8/2011 5:18:51 PM   
    fabertong

Many Thanks.........

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 46
    RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/8/2011 6:21:45 PM   
    witpqs

quote:

Many Thanks.........

Every new Beta will delete and re-create the Beta shortcut. Recommend you make (or copy it to) a shortcut of your own naming so it will persist.

(in reply to fabertong)
    Post #: 47
    RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/8/2011 7:49:08 PM   
    Mac Linehan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: steamboateng

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Ive waited to use the beta, working well PLUS some other goodies need you to be at the latest beta

What other goodies would you reccomend?

What a loaded question!

Well, for starters you simply must look at DaBabes scenarios. If you are playing as Allies then you should be able to use them against the AI. Any that won't support the AI will be noted in the write up on the web site. There are so many improvements in DaBabes over the basic scenario that covering them here is a bit much. AFAIK they are discussed in the descriptions on the web site. Ground units re-worked, ships' guns, and on and on.

Next, the 'c' variant of DaBabes has the cargo carrying capacity of many ships reduced. This is done to bring the scenario closer to the historical demands on shipping. Try as they might there are just many people and things not represented in the game (eventually they would require a computer the size of the earth to run the thing, eh?). So this change compensates for that.

Next, 'they' have worked up a new pwhex file that, in concert with the latest Beta, provides limits of a sort on the number of troops that can be supported in the various terrain types - stacking limits. It does this by penalizing supply, similar to the method already used for small islands. Too many troops = supply penalty. Way too many troops = massive, unsustainable supply penalty.

Next, there is also a modified map for DaBabes, with some nice improvement in certain areas. This is integrated with the stacking limits just mentioned.

Next, Andrew Brown has made some modifications to the map & pwhex also, which are also integrated with those noted above. Some of this is pretty recent, so check DaBabes threads to make sure they finished ironing out the kinks. For example Andrew's latest changes modified the area between Aden and Abadan to put the route between the two on-map (and therefore vulnerable). That slightly moved the hex coordinates of those two bases, and DaBabes had to be modified for that.

Once you look at the added realism corrections/additions in DaBabes you would have to be dragged kicking and screaming back to the basic scenarios.

steamboateng -

witpqs has very succinctly summed it up - the beta patches are the only way to go. It has been an enjoyable journey, trying out each beta build as it is released. Often a build will contain something new, and improved - a down right wonderful ongoing tweak that exemplifies AE's exceptionally high standard of excellence. There is absolutely no comparison between the last official patch (impressive in it's own right at the time) and the cumulative impact of all the beta builds combined.

Furthermore: If Babes with the Andrew Brown maps are added to the mix - AE becomes a whole new game. A wider range of ships, each one of which serves a specific purpose and which - weather a humble local mine sweeper or a small but highly useful IJN Tosu Patrol Boat - adds a distinct flavor to the game. There is also a larger matrix of LCU devices - each of which performs a different function, thus allowing the Babes Team to create a wider spectrum of LCU's. Thus, for example, the stock game Naval Support has been modified to where it performs only a specialized function(s) - such as rearming your warships as outlined in the "Ship Rearmament At Ports Table", page 284 in the manual. Naval Support, while critical to rearming, is rather scarce and thus highly valuable.

On the other hand, while stock AE Naval support would also accelerate loading and on-loading of your ships, this function has been removed from the Naval Support device. Now, there are specific units that represent a wide range of units - from specialized troops (USMC Pioneers) to IJN Construction Labor Squads (pressed Korean labor) - who, while contributing nothing to any engineering function are highly valuable as stevedores - and will help to make unloading supplies at a critical port or beach much faster. All this is customizable with the AE editor.

As for Andrew's Maps and extentions - they are absolutely first class and are not only beautifully done, but add to one's visual enjoyment of the game.

In short - give it all a try; there are some very sharp people who have put much effort and historical research into this modification. The wonder of it all is that no one is being paid to do this - all are motivated (driven?) by a love of history and AE.

OK - I am by no stretch of the imagination particularly knowledgeable about all of the above (other than full of enthusiasm!) - I will trust the other forum members to correct me if I am off course.

steamboateng, do hope you will give it a shot - you will not be disappointed.

Mac

< Message edited by Mac Linehan -- 10/8/2011 8:10:58 PM >

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to witpqs)
    Post #: 48
    RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/9/2011 12:12:11 AM   
    steamboateng

Thanks for the heads up Mac. DaBabes and artwork are definately being considered. First, I,ve got to familiarize myself with all Beta 2 tweeks.

(in reply to Mac Linehan)
    Post #: 49
    RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/9/2011 6:27:19 AM   
    crsutton

quote:

T

I think you are incorrect here. Viperpol and I have been playing a campaign since right after AE came out and are running a recent beta. My Allied subs now have the split tubes, so you need not restart a game. If I recall correctly (it has been some time) your subs will keep their original tube configuration until you put them into the yard for an upgrade. Once you upgrade a sub, it will convert to the split tube format. I still have a few subs with the old tube format only because I have yet to upgrade them.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Numdydar)
    Post #: 50
    RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/9/2011 4:48:37 PM   
    Numdydar

I must have missed that part. Was that changed in one of the betas? If not, then why was there such an outcry when this change was made? If all you had to do was refit you subs, it seems like a small price to pay for such a great change? Am I missing something? Entirely possible btw, lol.

(in reply to crsutton)
    Post #: 51
    RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/9/2011 5:02:48 PM   
    witpqs

quote:

I must have missed that part. Was that changed in one of the betas? If not, then why was there such an outcry when this change was made? If all you had to do was refit you subs, it seems like a small price to pay for such a great change? Am I missing something? Entirely possible btw, lol.

It wasn't quite that straight forward. At first there were problems, but Michael has fixed the code to deal with those. Initially BTW only some people ran into problems. For others it worked like a charm first time.

Now (the latest Beta) it should work quite well.

(in reply to Numdydar)
    Post #: 52
    RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/10/2011 9:11:57 AM   
    michaelm75au

The code changes made to counter the 'drastic' weapon misalignment caused by the split tube incident, were the first changes made at the start of this beta stream (1007).
    It took a bit of fiddling to get the right balance in order to delay the weapon SHIP change until the subs got back to a friendly base to get the CLASS change or to align the weapons with the current CLASS values.

Michael

(in reply to witpqs)
    Post #: 53
    RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/10/2011 1:54:16 PM   
    JWE

Just a minor correction to Mac and witpqs' excellent summary.

Naval Support devices retain all three original functions; load/unload, rearm, repair. But, as the guys say, they are far and few between in BigBabes and should be reserved for rearm and repair. The new devices (some engineer types, some squad types) have the Shore Party switch set and can function as stevedores to give a load/unload bonus. You get many more of these over time. So guard your NavSup well, but let your USMC Pioneer Bns land with their respective MarDivs. Every Marine an infantryman.

Japan was tweaked to give her (among other things) Shipping Engineer Regiments (Bns) that ran the Diahatsus during landing ops and conducted the coast hopping barge ops. Always a good idea to include an SER in an AmphTF, especially after the auto-bonus runs out.

(in reply to Mac Linehan)
    Post #: 54
    RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/11/2011 12:10:55 AM   
    SgtSwanson

I wouldn't plan on seeing any more "official" patches from Matrix proper. They have a habit of stopping them after a year or two, and it's about that time. michaelm's beta's are pretty much going to be the closest your going to get. So, stay up to date with them. ANNNND.... You can patch on the fly with them.

Sgt Swanson
    87-93 5/502 Inf. Berlin Bde
    93-95 2/502 Inf. 101st Airborne Div.
    Freedom is never free!!

Patch of the Week: 6th Infantry Division

(in reply to witpqs)
    Post #: 55
    Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
    All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Latest Beta patch Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI