Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/21/2011 12:24:25 AM   
terje439

Turn 107 EXTRA EXTRA!!

Apologies
Got kind of hotheaded here, so the turn will not be described as it usually is, I hope you all forgive me for this.

German Panzers attack!!
From what we have learned, alot of German panzers supported by mechanized troops made an attack this turn. This is reported to have caused some concern among our valiant leaders, and words like "might decide the war" can be heared all over Stavka.
Our reporters have managed to get hold of top secret aerial photos, see more below.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:45:15 PM >

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 361
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/21/2011 12:31:28 AM   
terje439

Turn 107 Too bold?!

Agressive officers win
We have learned that Stalin has agreed upon the hastily made plan of the more agressive officers in Stavka, and allowed a slugfest to commence.
It is also reported that some mistakes have been made, but also that one of the hated SS divisions have been cut off. Shall we see the first German division of the war surrender?!
From what our reporter has managed to find out, a total of 6 German attacks were made, causing 1 held, 4 retreats and 1 rout, while our own gallant fighters launched a total of 11 attacks, scoring 4 held and 7 retreats, although all the retreats were achieved further to the south just to pin the German panzers that are present at that part of the front.
Losses are reported to be 35.000 Axis troops dead and 101.000 of our brave soldiers killed on the battlefield.

The really good news is that our reporter also have been shown over 100 German tanks that have been crushed on the battlefield. And our reporter also managed to get some fresh airphotos, it seems to confirm that even kitchen scrubs are being thrown into the fight.

All we know, is that the following weeks will be scary and dangerous, but if we emerge victorious, the German offensive power might be broken.
Be sure to read more as the news arrive!!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:45:30 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 362
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/21/2011 1:59:01 AM   
TulliusDetritus

Terje, you really have a colourful front near Moscow! I understand why you have been forced to be in this situation: you brought everyone and you possibly did not have enough APs to reassign units (especially when we think about corps: really expensive to reassign them to other commands).

But the thing is, perhaps you are suffering lots of penalties: stacks with units attached to different commands (this, we don't know). And given that units from really different fronts are in this area I wonder if the HQs are far away. That is another problem (more penalties).

The whole thing looks like a lazy single's apartment! You truly need a cleaning brigade. And presto!

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 363
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/21/2011 2:55:25 AM   
krupp_88mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Terje, you really have a colourful front near Moscow! I understand why you have been forced to be in this situation: you brought everyone and you possibly did not have enough APs to reassign units (especially when we think about corps: really expensive to reassign them to other commands).

But the thing is, perhaps you are suffering lots of penalties: stacks with units attached to different commands (this, we don't know). And given that units from really different fronts are in this area I wonder if the HQs are far away. That is another problem (more penalties).

The whole thing looks like a lazy single's apartment! You truly need a cleaning brigade. And presto!

!

< Message edited by krupp_88mm -- 12/21/2011 2:57:00 AM >

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 364
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/21/2011 7:39:36 AM   
AKCLIMBER

Brilliantly, laugh out loud funny!

Terje, I've just started playing my first GC as Soviets v Axis AI and my lines are nearly as colorful as yours :) Thanks for the educational AAR. Good luck (and keep attacking!).

Cheers!

(in reply to krupp_88mm)
Post #: 365
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/21/2011 10:00:27 AM   
terje439

quote:

They all looked so nice and acoloured in layers untill the Axis cought Moscow, after that...
And yes, the AP is a pain, but what can I do? I only get so many, and there are so many things I need them for.
I need units.
I need to combine units.
I need to exchange leaders.
The list seem endless, the APs...not

But yes, there are times when I suffer a -30% penalty due to HQs, so I have got to take that into account. Usually I can offset this by a) bombing runs prior to the attack b) overwhelming forces c) more SUs.

Some of the "white" units towards the south became so last turn, I must have lost a HQ somehow...

*edit* oh, and I AM a lazy single

Terje

< Message edited by terje439 -- 12/21/2011 10:02:49 AM >

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 366
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/21/2011 10:00:56 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: krupp_88mm

quote:

!

Haha epic

Terje

(in reply to krupp_88mm)
Post #: 367
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/21/2011 10:02:22 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: AKCLIMBER

Brilliantly, laugh out loud funny!

Terje, I've just started playing my first GC as Soviets v Axis AI and my lines are nearly as colorful as yours :) Thanks for the educational AAR. Good luck (and keep attacking!).

Cheers!

Thank you, I think the key will be something as easy as do not do what I am doing hehe. Good luck, alot of fun to be had with this game.

Terje

(in reply to AKCLIMBER)
Post #: 368
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/21/2011 11:10:05 AM   
terje439

Turn 108

Overall
I start by flying as many recon flights as possible. The only units that can be seen that are not committed by the Axis, are the ones chasing down my partisans, and if you look inside the salient, there are not really alot of reserves there either. So, I think my plan now will be to take a small step back each turn to force the Axis to relocate more and more units to the defense of their line, and only attack when the odds are in my favour. That being said, we lost alot of AFVs, and that looked somewhat scary untill I looked at what I actually lost and compared it to the Axis' loss in AFVs.
The Axis launch 10 attacks, scoring 9 retreats and 1 rout this turn, causing me to lose a staggering 579 AFVs. We on the other hand launched 8 attacks, scoring 3 held and 5 retreats causing the Germans to lose 147 AFVs. There is something that should be rememebered when looking at the ammount of attacks, and that is that mine are made all along the line, while all the Axis attacks are made inside the salient. They did also manage to reopen the small pocket and free their SS unit, but that is no big concern. A small annoyance, sure, but that is all.
Casualties are listed as 35.000 Axis troops and 113.000 of ours this turn.
The manpower pool recieved a tital of 189.000 workers this turn, and ends at 2.896.

Units
I create one mechanized corps, and order the construction of 6 rifle divisions, 3 rifle brigades and 3 mechanized brigades.
As earlier mentioned, the losses of AFVs were high, but our only "real" tank losses are 246 T34 M1942s. The rest are mainly light tanks, such as the T60 M1941 (131 lost) and T70 M1942 (1106 lost). The Axis AFVs are mostly main battle tanks, with the highest losses being PzIIIm (24 lost), PzIVg (25 lost) and StugIIIh (20 lost).
With a rather high ammount of casualties this turn, our forces are still able to report a net growth of 71.000 soldiers this turn.

Partisans
With no reports of last turn, it is hard to say if I should be happy or not by the number of units left on the map or not. Anyway, after the Axis chase away 13 of our units, we are left with 27 active partisan units, so still around the 30 mark, I think I find that acceptable. Our guys managed to perform 22 acts of sabotague this turn, sadly most of the attacks occured in the north where there is no fighting. As a thank you for their effort, 22 supply drops are made this turn.

Worries
Should I relocate morre factocries or not.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:45:57 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 369
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/21/2011 9:53:31 PM   
terje439

Turn 109

Overall
It seems the Axis try to push their way north. This actually suits me, I hope they keep slugging their way north one more turn as that might give me an oppertunity to punish them severly, but I doubt my plan will succeed since the German troops obviously are non-routing, so I need to be lucky with the way a few units retreat if I am to succeed, but we will see what happens.
Once more I keep pushing all along the line, and the Axis are forced to slowly give away hex after hex in the south, but this does not really help me as there are no units behind the front to take advantage of the situation, still I kill more enemies than I lose troops there, so I will keep these attacks going for a while longer.
With 8 Axis attacks for 7 retreats and 1 rout, and our 8 attacks causing 4 held and 4 retreats, losses are given at 35.000 Axis troops and 116.000 of our soldiers.
A total of 185.000 workers went into the manpower pool, and it ends at 2.810, the good thing is that my units are slowly filling up, that being said, it will still take ages and then some before they are all at full strength.

Units
I form 4 rifle corps and recieve one airfield this turn. Even though we lose alot of troops, we still manage to make the overall size of our army to grow by 70.000 soldiers this turn too.

Partisans
I've obviously been to generous with these SOBs lately..
A mere 10 sabotague actions is no good. 28 supply drops on the other hand a good result. Sadly, since the Axis force 11 units to retreat, we are down to 25 active units.

Worries
IF the enemy pushes on, can I sever the salient at the neck?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:46:06 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 370
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/21/2011 11:15:19 PM   
krupp_88mm

question.. do you think hes up to something devious?

it appears looking at the main map
if he captures Yaroslavl (or cuts its west rail),
and hits you with a surprise attack along the Chagdoscha River
to take that rail hex in clear terrain west of Cherepovets,
that would cut rail access to your entire NW front

how would that impact your combat operations, and could you evacuate in good order?

< Message edited by krupp_88mm -- 12/22/2011 12:10:41 AM >

Decisive Campaigns Case Pony

RRRH-Sr Mod Graphix ed V2: http://www.mediafire.com/?dt2wf7fc273zq5k

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 371
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/21/2011 11:54:38 PM   
M60A3TTS

Krupp, will you please edit your post and drop the map? Know you mean well, but we all have one and it's most distracting as posted here.

(in reply to krupp_88mm)
Post #: 372
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/22/2011 1:37:48 AM   
Schmart

I think your opponent is running out of steam, and that this offensive was a poor decision. He should either have tried to roll up your line towards the south or northwest. Also, he is using almost exclusively mobile formations to mount the offensive, rather than beefing up the break-ins with infantry. A poor operational choice: he either dosen't have the infantry strength, or deliberately chose not to use infantry. Either way, it's a win for you.

If I was you, I'd try to funnel the offensive in a northeast direction. He can run as far as he wants that way; his supply lines and frontage will only stretch until he's burnt out. Concentrate your forces on the neck and sides of the bulge so he can't suddenly roll up your line in either direction. Once you've concentrated enough strength, I would drive due east towards Moscow below the Klyazma river (deeper into his lines than your red lines propose). You've got a bit more open terrain there to help your drive. A secondary drive from northwest of Moscow could either encircle the bulk of his mobile forces, or at the very least initiate a panicked retreat on his part, and begin a nice late summer counter-offensive for you.

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 373
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/22/2011 2:36:22 AM   
Q-Ball

This looks to me like Zitadelle. Impressive attack, really bad long-term for the Germans health.

I think this is an opportunity for you, and should be looked at this way.

What is he gaining exactly? More territory he can't hold, and dead Germans. You will trade 35,000 for 113,000 any day. Germans lose on that math.

A few notes on your unit dispositions from the shots I see:

1. You have CORPS manning quiet sectors of the front. Use divisions for that.
2. Your Airbases should all be on RR lines. Why? Because they draw supplies from railheads via truck. The shorter the distance, the fewer trucks get broken. If that distance is ZERO, none will break. You need to save Vehicles.

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 12/22/2011 2:39:48 AM >

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 374
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/22/2011 2:38:30 AM   
Baelfiin

Your units are very very scattered , the russian lines are like looking at my tye die shirt 8)

I think that is going to have a negative impact on your attacking efficency

"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 375
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/22/2011 4:25:50 AM   
randallw

Cutting off those Germans will be a challenge; the neck you create must be wide enough so it is not broken in a single turn and you don't seem to have that many units near the origin of the red arrows.  You also need enough MPs to push forward and you seem to lack huge amounts of mobile units there.

Another problem is that there are some 3 unit stacks at the front; if one of those massively powerful stacks forces it back some of the retreaters may have to rout ( the hex behind them should be empty for everyone to retreat ).

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 376
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/22/2011 5:27:09 AM   
Flaviusx

This German doesn't know when to stop. He's going to win himself to death.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 377
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/22/2011 10:43:23 AM   
juret

intresting. everyone dump **** on axis player. lets see 4-5 turns from now whut the plan was with this attack or if they had right

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 378
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/22/2011 1:09:52 PM   
terje439

Wow, alot of replies one of the few days I am off to work.
I will answer them all in one post, and if I miss anything, please let me know.

1. question.. do you think hes up to something devious? I

2. It appears looking at the main map if he captures Yaroslavl (or cuts its west rail),
and hits you with a surprise attack along the Chagdoscha River to take that rail hex in clear terrain west of Cherepovets,
that would cut rail access to your entire NW front how would that impact your combat operations, and could you evacuate in good order

3. I think your opponent is running out of steam, and that this offensive was a poor decision. He should either have tried to roll up your line towards the south or northwest. Also, he is using almost exclusively mobile formations to mount the offensive, rather than beefing up the break-ins with infantry. A poor operational choice: he either dosen't have the infantry strength, or deliberately chose not to use infantry. Either way, it's a win for you.

4. If I was you, I'd try to funnel the offensive in a northeast direction. He can run as far as he wants that way; his supply lines and frontage will only stretch until he's burnt out. Concentrate your forces on the neck and sides of the bulge so he can't suddenly roll up your line in either direction. Once you've concentrated enough strength, I would drive due east towards Moscow below the Klyazma river (deeper into his lines than your red lines propose). You've got a bit more open terrain there to help your drive. A secondary drive from northwest of Moscow could either encircle the bulk of his mobile forces, or at the very least initiate a panicked retreat on his part, and begin a nice late summer counter-offensive for you

5. This looks to me like Zitadelle. Impressive attack, really bad long-term for the Germans health.
I think this is an opportunity for you, and should be looked at this way.

6. What is he gaining exactly? More territory he can't hold, and dead Germans. You will trade 35,000 for 113,000 any day. Germans lose on that math.

7. a). You have CORPS manning quiet sectors of the front. Use divisions for that.
7. b) Your Airbases should all be on RR lines. Why? Because they draw supplies from railheads via truck. The shorter the distance, the fewer trucks get broken. If that distance is ZERO, none will break. You need to save Vehicles.

8. Your units are very very scattered , the russian lines are like looking at my tye die shirt 8)
I think that is going to have a negative impact on your attacking efficency

9. Cutting off those Germans will be a challenge; the neck you create must be wide enough so it is not broken in a single turn and you don't seem to have that many units near the origin of the red arrows. You also need enough MPs to push forward and you seem to lack huge amounts of mobile units there.

10. Another problem is that there are some 3 unit stacks at the front; if one of those massively powerful stacks forces it back some of the retreaters may have to rout ( the hex behind them should be empty for everyone to retreat ).

11. This German doesn't know when to stop. He's going to win himself to death.

12. intresting. everyone dump **** on axis player. lets see 4-5 turns from now whut the plan was with this attack or if they had right

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 379
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/22/2011 1:30:43 PM   
terje439

And then the answers.

1. I think he is honest in his mails, (remember this is his first pbem game as well!) when he says he does not know if he should keep on attacking or fall back. I think he is afraid to give away the initiative.

2. The main problem for the Axis right now, is that there are no reserves, he is allready forced to use 4 panzer divisions to hold the current line further south.
There is no real combat anywhere north of Moscow (apart from the salient), so I should be able to evacuate well enough.

3. As stated above, he is out of units, all I can spot (and I fly ALOT of recon missions) behind the front, is ONE infantry division and the SEC divisions. Attacking just at the time he did, and in the direction he did, I would agree, is a bad choice. Had he waited a few turns I would have launched my own offensive and had fewer units available to counter him with, and he attacked towards my reserves (I think he did not spot them all)

4. The problem with going deeper is that that requires more units, untis I do not have available. I need a short line, but if my lines are managed, it sill costs him almost all his mech/pazer divisions. But it everything depends upon his next move, he might pull somethign I did not beliveve he could still. We will soon find out.

5. I agree. All he has done so far, is making the front even longer, and what should also be remembered, is that my units do not rout as much anymore, they merely retreat which also hampers any Axis advance.

6. Once more I agree, the only slight concern for me at this moment would be the loss of the manpower in the cities he could take, but if I manage to take out his mobile units because of it, it is a very good trade for me nevertheless.

7. a) Not too many divisions left really, but all the line north of what you see is held by divisions, but I agree with what you say, just not enough troops to make it doable all along at the moment.
b) Well, for now, what I really need is air support (I can usually drop a German stack defensive CV 5-8 points by aerial attacks at the moment), and for now my vehicle pool is growing by about 3.000 per turn. But That is excellent advice that I will make use of after this crisis/oppertunity (next turn might tell which it is).

8. Absolutely, I usually get -30% on my rolls, however changing a single corps HQ cost 15 CP(or is ti AP I never get that one right), or 3 mechanized brigades if you want to put it that way. I can still field vastly superior CVs in my attacks, which negates this effect for now. It is not at all a good choice, but that is the point, for now it is not a choice, it is a neccessity.

9. ALL my tank, mech and cav corps are present, they might not show, but there should be enough MP present :) I am counting on that Germans units are not given some exception to the "isolated units are worthless"-effect. The units he will have outside the pocket will all be inf divisions with an avaerage CV of 5, and rather low MP, I THINK I have enough.

10. The only stacks of 3 I see are my Guard divisions (if he attacks here, I'll be REALLY happy. These stacks are around 40 CV, high morale, and are all filled with SUs.), and the city defenders which have level 2 and level 3 forts. An attack here, even if it forces my units to rout, is acceptable to me, as it will be costly in terms of soldiers and AFVs for the Germans.

11. As mentioned, his first game as well, and he has stated that it was my attacks occuring all along the line, and which always sent his units retreating that made him decide he needed to do something.

12. I agree, this is only an oppertunity to the USSR if I manage to take care of the oppertunity, alot also depends upon what happen in the next German turn.

Last; since this game will end at some time.
Oloren, I hope none of my assumptions/guesses are stated in such a way to make you look bad, that is not my intention, never has it been so, nor will it ever be. I am having tons of fun with this game, and say thank you for this oppertunity to play against you

Terje

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 380
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/22/2011 2:37:17 PM   
terje439

Turn 110

Overall
In the end, Randallw is correct. I fail to take into account the cowardice of my units. This is due to my only experience being as the Axis against an easy AI. Still no excuse.
The Axis keeps attacking their way north, it seems they try to gain enough cities to get an autovictory, well I doubt he will keep it up, but if he does, I am happy with that.
The Axis launch a total of 11 attacks, scoring 1 held, 4 retreats and 6 routs. We launch 9 attacks, and get 1 held and 8 retreats. Two things that is ruining the assault for me are the need for a 2:1, and the never-routing Germans, which are both things I cannot change, so I need to find a workaround.
Losses are reported as 10.000 Axis troops and 79.000 on our side, and this seems off to me...
Our manpower pool recieves 189.000 pair of hands this turn and ends at 221 this turn. Our vehicle pool continues to grow, and is now at 137.993.

Units
We form 3 rifle corps and 1 mechanized corps, as well as order the construction of 3 mechanized brigades this turn.
If the reported losses are correct, this leaves us with a net growth of 107.000 soldiers this turn.

Partisans
22 sabotague actions and 15 drops makes this an "ok" turn. I would have liked to see more supply drops, but we will take what we get. 8 attacks on our partisans by the Axis means we are left with 25 untis at the end of the turn. Too bad this Hydra is more an annoyance than a real threat though.

Worries
No real worry, more of a curiosity. Will the Axis keep attacking and go for an attempted autovictory by trying to rout enough units to clear out my line, or will they fall back? If they keep attacking, I will be happy, and the fact that they routed 6 units this turn does not help them as all but 2 of them have allready rallied.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:46:26 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 381
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/22/2011 2:49:27 PM   
Q-Ball

You can't close a big encirclement right now; you don't have enough mobile forces. Germans are much tougher to pocket, and generally, you only pocket them a few units at a time.

I like your attacking further south; that will give him pause. I would probably attack more on a direct access toward Moscow, across that clear terrain to the east of the city. Easier sleddding, and that is also territory you can use for later.

Whatever you do, I would have very thin forces at the tip of the Schwerpunkt. I know that is counterintuitive, but you want to draw him further north. Defend Yaroslav, but if he wants to grab more Light Woods, absolutely encourage that

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 382
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/22/2011 2:56:19 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

You can't close a big encirclement right now; you don't have enough mobile forces. Germans are much tougher to pocket, and generally, you only pocket them a few units at a time.

I like your attacking further south; that will give him pause. I would probably attack more on a direct access toward Moscow, across that clear terrain to the east of the city. Easier sleddding, and that is also territory you can use for later.

Whatever you do, I would have very thin forces at the tip of the Schwerpunkt. I know that is counterintuitive, but you want to draw him further north. Defend Yaroslav, but if he wants to grab more Light Woods, absolutely encourage that

At the moment, I can only launch one major attack at a time, but I am slooowly gathering some reserves in the south aas well, but I keep on attacking there, just to keep the Axis on their toes.
The main problem as I see it with keeping few units at the tip of the spear, is that my 12-15 MP Guards Rifle Corps are my door-openers, and if they need to advance more than 1 hex before getting into German ZoC, they will usually not have enough MP to launch a deliberate attack, forcing me to rely on hasty attacks. And those need to achieve a 2:1...

Hmm this is hard. But love it nevertheless

Terje

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 383
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/22/2011 4:59:15 PM   
gingerbread

I would have liked to see more supply drops, but we will take what we get.

You need to rotate your transports. Send one (pick the lowest morale group) from each base to reserve. If you have the planes and 2 AP, make two more groups to keep the bases full.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 384
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/22/2011 5:32:11 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: gingerbread

I would have liked to see more supply drops, but we will take what we get.

You need to rotate your transports. Send one (pick the lowest morale group) from each base to reserve. If you have the planes and 2 AP, make two more groups to keep the bases full.

I am sending the ones with morale below 38 back to reserves as I believe they will not go above 39 in the reserves???
Bases are usally full, but I am vary of sending anything but fighters and transports to my VVS airfield as it seems a waste of "partisan supply missions" to have tactical bombers on these airfields?

Terje

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 385
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/22/2011 7:06:47 PM   
Seminole

quote:

I am sending the ones with morale below 38 back to reserves as I believe they will not go above 39 in the reserves???

I'm in the process of re-organizing my AF and I've seen much higher morale figures in the reserve. 

quote:

Bases are usally full, but I am vary of sending anything but fighters and transports to my VVS airfield as it seems a waste of "partisan supply missions" to have tactical bombers on these airfields?

AI will also use level bombers if you don't have enough transports.  I would think the fighters would be a waste of support in the VVS airbase though.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 386
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/22/2011 7:26:45 PM   
gingerbread

I think I finally understood your reference to morale of above 39 - it's connected to National Morale (NM), right?

Well, NM does not apply to air units and, as an aside, for ground units it starts to increase by 1pt/month beginning September '42.

Air units can recover morale to much higher levels in the reserve, but I suggest you cycle the transports back to a base when they have 70, possibly earlier if the groups at bases are low.

Also, my suggestion to create more groups was intended to be read as C-47/Li-2 (not the Li-2 bomber) transport groups, to replace the ones sent to reserve.

The average morale for transport air groups at bases should reach at least 50 with this implemented. Some work and 2 AP, sure but you did notice a decline in effect after the initially assigned groups got worn down. This is a scheme to counter that decline.

Keep bases on functioning rail lines - the vodka bottles break easily when transported by truck.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 387
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/22/2011 9:38:10 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Seminole

AI will also use level bombers if you don't have enough transports.  I would think the fighters would be a waste of support in the VVS airbase though.

I thought the fighters would escort the transports, or if not, atleast defend the base if the Germans attacked. Level bombers are far too valuable for me to use as transports, unlike the TACs, the level bombers can wreck havoc to units in the open.

Terje

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 388
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/22/2011 9:40:50 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: gingerbread

I think I finally understood your reference to morale of above 39 - it's connected to National Morale (NM), right?

Well, NM does not apply to air units and, as an aside, for ground units it starts to increase by 1pt/month beginning September '42.

Air units can recover morale to much higher levels in the reserve, but I suggest you cycle the transports back to a base when they have 70, possibly earlier if the groups at bases are low.

Also, my suggestion to create more groups was intended to be read as C-47/Li-2 (not the Li-2 bomber) transport groups, to replace the ones sent to reserve.

The average morale for transport air groups at bases should reach at least 50 with this implemented. Some work and 2 AP, sure but you did notice a decline in effect after the initially assigned groups got worn down. This is a scheme to counter that decline.

Keep bases on functioning rail lines - the vodka bottles break easily when transported by truck.

Ah, thought NM applied to aerial units too, now that is a bugger
Yeah, still somewhat low on C47s in the pool though, some 40 left after upgrading two groups...
It seems to me that that would indeed be a good idea, to create some more transports for myself, an excellent idea in fact.

Terje

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 389
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 12/22/2011 10:30:40 PM   
terje439

Turn 111

Overall
In the end it all became a game of chicken. We won though. The Axis limit themselves to two attacks, and gain two retreats this turn. We perform 9 attacks and score 3 held and 6 retreats, 1 of the held results being an all out arty attack. Also this turn had an attack featuring close to 4.000 artillery pieces, that was an (atleast to me) astonishing number. Once more I attack all along the line, and I also take the oppertunity to attack retreating German infantry divisions that are not dug in. The German panzer divisions on the line in the south were hit again as they are not dug in. After two attacks, a total of 120 AFVs are lost by two divisions alone. At the end of the turn, losses are reported at 37.000 for the Axis, and 85.000 for us, so a decent exchange.
189.000 workers report to the manpower pool this turn, and it ends at 2.434, we also now have a few manpower centres damaged as the Germans came close to them, but they should recover from the shock.

Units
I placed 17 aerial units into the reserves this turn, I could have done more, but the having to keep opening the units list for every unit I want to send to reserves, is annoying... The interesting thing I noticed (and this is something I have noticed before as well), is that TACs are overrepresented in the low morale section. Of the 17 units, 14 were TACs, 2 were Fighter-Bombers and 1 was a transport unit.
I went somewhat easy on the unit building this turn, and only order the formation of 3 mechanized brigades and a tank HQ. The thought behind the HQ is this, I will form my reserves into a single front, and currently that front only has one subordinate HQ, I need atleast 3. I also spent quite a few points on rearranging some generals this turn, wanting the best for this "reserve front" as this will be my speartip (atleast that is my intention). So, Zhukov gets to lead them, and by now I do not recall the other two I shuffled around, but they had 6-6 in terms of mech-inf, and their "non combat" skills were above average too, so I think/hope/pray this is a wise move.
With (for the last few turns) low casualties, we are once more approaching the 100k reinforcement line, but we are still a little shy, as our forces grew by 97.000 this turn.

Partisans
22 acts of sabotague gets rewarded by 28 supply drops this turn. And even better, despite the 10 attacks from the Axis, our number of units grow to 33 this turn.

Operation Derainbowanize
This is started slowly this turn, and will take a few turns to complete. Anyone wanna guess what it is all about?

Worries
Not much that comes to my attention for now, maybe about removing Zhukov as commander from his current HQ, but I think it is a good choice.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:46:43 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI