Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/11/2012 5:30:50 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: juret

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

quote:

rocket divisions are amazing. get another 3 of those. they take ages to build up. will make them rdy about after sept-okt mud.

How many can my production support? I allready had 3, so now I have a total of 6 of these guys.

Terje

They seem to fill up slow. Having only 1 division didnt go much faster then have 6 on map for my tests. they use something like 950 rocket ronchers firing 4 rockets each in combat.Tkes time to get that many so good just buy a bunch of them and have them behind lines untill they are rdy 2 months or so later.

Can u give us a new OOB? how many soldiers the red hordes got now?
I see some german inf units on last map are 1/1 now. ant units :) good job

Will post a new OOB after the next turn is done.
Yes, there are a few 1-1 German infantry divisions now, even seen a 0-0 one once, but they still refuse to rout, and he is still managing to have a few reserves available, so I am not able to make any form of breakthrough anywhere, and then ofc just to taunt I keep rolling those 1.9 : 1's.
But my main problem right now imo, is the fact that a level 3 fort means that a 5CV Infantry division is suddenly unable to break, and if I manage to score a retreat anywhere, I do not have the MP to follow up.

Oh well, will build even more mechanized corps next time around.

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 571
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/11/2012 5:32:45 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

There is a certain nobility to your suffering, Terje

Sorry to disappoint you, not that much suffering, more a disbelief of how stubborn those Germans are. About nobility, well they do say that if you manage to trace your lineage back far enough, and your family has always lived in Norway, you are very likely in relations with the first King of Norway.
But then again, so is everyone else here

Terje

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 572
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/11/2012 6:23:14 AM   
terje439

Turn 159

Overall
The Axis tries once more to pocket some of our units, and once more we manage to extract them. If they are pocketed again next turn, only two corps will be cut off. Hopefully the attempts to take them out will seize. The Axis make 4 attacks this turn, and score 1 held, 2 retreats and 1 rout. We launch no less than 24 attacks, but results could be better as we get 1 scouted, 9 held, 14 retreats.
Losses are given at;
Axis : 78.000 troops and 288 AFVs
USSR : 139.000 troops and 883 AFVs. Most of the AFVs are lost with the rout result gained by the Axis.
168.000 workers arrive at the manpower pool this turn, and it ends at 10.557

Units
Although more than 20 aerial groups are in need of a rest, I cannot spare them this turn, I need all available units to fly and help break the siege of those 3 mechanized corps.
We form 3 breakthrough artillery divisions, and spend some points on promoting Talbukin to take command of the 1st Belorussian Front, which are located next to HQ Zhukov.
Our forces grew by 101.000 troops this turn.

HQ Zhukov
Once more some of the mechanized units were encircled, but this time only 3 corps. We do once more manage to break out, but it was too close this time. Against the last defender we recieved the results (in order) held held scouted retreat.
This front needs to get their guys to safety and then take a few turns to rebuild some strenght.

Units destroyed
The German 2/48 SP Flak Company and the German 68th Fortified Zone are both destroyed this turn.

Partisans
Although the Axis only perform 5 anti-partisan attacks this turn, that only leaves us with 20 active units. They do manage 8 sabotage missions this turn, but with a mere supply drops, I fear the number of partisan units will drop even further.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/11/2012 9:07:54 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 573
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/11/2012 8:48:45 AM   
randallw

The Italians still have aircraft in the OOB.  Looks like a little bug where they were left behind in the withdraw?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 574
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/11/2012 9:12:28 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: randallw

The Italians still have aircraft in the OOB.  Looks like a little bug where they were left behind in the withdraw?

The Italians still had some aerial units on the eastern front in -44 and -45 I believe. I know that when Italy signed her armistice some of her airforce kept on fighting for the Axis while the other part faught against the Axis.

Terje

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 575
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/11/2012 9:16:41 PM   
terje439

Turn 160

Overall
The Axis once more encircle our units, but this time with the departure of two SS Panzer divisions, they chose to rout the units instead of trying to capture them. This explains some of our AFV losses this turn. The Axis launch a total of 2 attacks, scoring 1 retreat and 1 rout. We score 6 held, 15 retreats and 1 rout this turn. And for once I am not too disappointed by the held results (apart from 2), as I knew they would be held results, but needed to make them to lower the fortification value of the enemy stacks. Losses are reported as;
Axis : 65.000 troops and 231 AFVs
USSR : 129.000 troops and 754 AFVs.
170.000 workers report to the manpower pool this turn, ending it at 9.040.

Units
12 TAC, 3LB, 1 RC is sent to the reserves this turn.
We form 2 rifle corps, and order the creation of 6 breakthrough artillery divisions.
Our armed forces grew by a total of 82.000 soldiers this turn.
We also take a look at TOE % of all our units (I do this every 3-4 turns), and change the settings of quite a few units. Appearently there is no such thing as being filled out, as I had a rocket artillery unit with 183% TOE . Not bad to have a 2 CV artillery piece .

Partisans
We are left with 24 units on the map after the Axis force 6 units to retreat. Atleast now the numbers are going in the right direction. Our partisans perform 6 acts of sabotague this turn, and our pilots manage to perform 8 supply drops.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 576
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/12/2012 12:02:11 AM   
terje439

Turn 161

Overall
I find I am taking more chances now, and as usual the Axis punish me by launching one attack and scoring one rout. But, it must be done, in the words of Poco; "Keep on tryin'" is all I can do now. We launch 22 attacks for the result of 4 held and 18 retreats. One of the helds was expected. Losses are given as;
Axis : 61.000 troops and 255 AFVs
USSR : 119.000 troops and 623 AFVs.
With a total of 172.000 workers joining the manpower pool, it ends at 6.468 this turn.

Question
If you had the choice of a deliberate attack with 13:4 in ratio (your favour), or a hasty attack of 19:4 (your favour), which do you chose (as the USSR ofc).

Units
5 TACs are sent to the reserves this turn. 3 turns max, and they are down atleast 50 morale points.
We order the creation of 2 rifle divisions, 1 rifle brigade and 3 breakthrough artillery divisions this turn.
Our army grew by 106.000 troops this turn.

Partisans
23 partisan units are left after 5 attacks from the Axis. Our guys manage 9 acts of sabotague, while our pilots only manage 4 drops this turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 577
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/12/2012 1:59:40 PM   
terje439

Turn 162

Overall
The Axis once more fall back a few hexes, and as a result the number of attacks we are able to launch drops. We manage 5 held and 11 retreats for a total of 16 attacks. Losses are reported as;
Axis : 54.000 troops and 162 AFVs
USSR : 103.000 troops and 456 AFVs
As we get a total of 171.000 workers to the manpower pool this turn, it ends at 4.314.

Units
We send 10 TACs to the reserves this turn. We then order the construction of 3 breakthrough artillery divisions, 3 mechanized brigades and 3 tank brigades.
Our forces grew by 66.000 troops this turn.

Liberation
Voronezh is liberated this turn.

Partisans
23 units remain on the map after 11 are forced to retreat. A result of 8 sabotague missions and 5 supply drops are where we have been stuck for quite some turns now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 578
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/12/2012 2:23:43 PM   
Peltonx

You will have to pick up tempo more if you have any chance to get to Berlin. I know your doing your best, but 15ish attacks per turn is not putting much of a dent in his OOB.

A min tempo by December 1943 should be around 20 attacks per turn. The won lose ratio can be as low as 50% as your replacements will easy support the loses.

Pelton

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 579
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/12/2012 2:42:52 PM   
M60A3TTS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton

You will have to pick up tempo more if you have any chance to get to Berlin. I know your doing your best, but 15ish attacks per turn is not putting much of a dent in his OOB.

A min tempo by December 1943 should be around 20 attacks per turn. The won lose ratio can be as low as 50% as your replacements will easy support the loses.

Pelton

Agreed on the tempo. The issue for him is he has lost so much in pockets that he is still rebuilding the Red Army and HQ Zhukov by itself isn't going to generate the needed casualties. These rocket artillery divisions he's just now started won't be very effective for a while. Maybe after the Fall rasputitsa he can get some real momentum but he is likely facing too much in terms of land to recover and enemy to vanquish. Predicting an Axis victory here.

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 580
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/12/2012 3:07:58 PM   
terje439

Well, there are a few "unthouchable" Axis stacks, those I cannot atttack without suffering close to 1:5 in losses at best.
As to the low attack count this turn, alot of the Axis retreats were east of the Don, and after moving across the Don to follow up, and then passing through 2 "red" hexes, my units did not have enough MP left to make any attacks.

About Axis victory, think I first predicted that at the end of -43

That being said, there are some bright spots as well;
-From Tula and south, most of the enemy units are 1-3 CV units, and they are now out of forts.
-The Axis is forced to spend panzer divisions on the frontline just to hold the front.
-The shortening front seem to be more of a help for me at the moment as it gives me a handful of reserve stacks to use to exploit any openings.

Prediction;
-the southern flank of the Axis line will crumble (then I must decide wether to destroy the Rumanian units on the map or try to flip them later)
-game will end with me around the Polish border and an Axis win
-I will have learned alot of what NOT to do as the USSR

Terje

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 581
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/12/2012 5:53:25 PM   
Peltonx

I have nothing but respect for you to play this out as you have, most players would have quit and learnt nothing about what to do from 43 -44.

I am sure you will do much better your next game.

A draw is still possible as there are 63 turns left. Your enemy could still make a few mistakes which could be his undoing.

I do not think you can get a minor victory, but you still have a shot at a draw for sure. You only need to keep him under 39 VP's. Take a clear look at the VP's he needs and what you need to do to get it under 39. Then start now going after the citys you must take to get a draw. Looks possible to me.

I agree M60 the late war key seems to be mid-war AP pts. A lack of them from late 42 - late 43 causes the Russian army to be not able to build the right mix of units needed to grind down then exploit the weakened german army.

Pelton

< Message edited by Pelton -- 1/12/2012 5:54:42 PM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 582
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/12/2012 6:07:23 PM   
terje439

Thank you once more for kind words.

Well, I believe I lost the game per ce in -42. I lost way too many units, and I also played it poorly during -43 when I kept trying to save corps formation and thereby losing more corps in the process.

So far what I have learnt is;
1. Every unit can be spared, but throwing more units to be destroyed alongside the one is bad.
2. To withstand the Axis assault you cannot rely on forts, the Axis attacking power is too great. Instead belts of sacrificial units are better.
3. You must plan for the winter of -41 in advance, espesially in terms of building up some units in the rear so they are ready when the winter arrives.
4. When you think you have enough artillery counters on the map, you do NOT.
5. USSR TACs and FBs die in droves.
6. A few house rules are needed (as they are in most pbem strategy games).
7. Never trust a USSR division to be able to hold anything.
8. The USSR has a great ability to recover, but do not get overly confident in this ability.
9. The USSR rifle corps are good at making the initial attack and force an enemy retreat, but they are quite inable to keep an offense.
10. A mobile reserve that is not tied up at the front (like my HQ Zhukov is atm) is a very nice thing to have.
11. Mechanized corps kick a**!
12. SUs are a must
13. Germans do not rout.
14. The USSR can support alot more tank troops than I have built in this game.
15. Watching the TOE % is a must.

Terje

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 583
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/12/2012 8:18:43 PM   
Seminole

quote:

I do not think you can get a minor victory, but you still have a shot at a draw for sure. You only need to keep him under 39 VP's. Take a clear look at the VP's he needs and what you need to do to get it under 39.

It takes a lot.  In my Soviet win against the AI I had captured Berlin and was still trying to drive him below 39 VP to end the game for a few weeks after.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 584
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/12/2012 8:20:53 PM   
Seminole

quote:

13. Germans do not rout.

If you cut off a German unit and then force it to retreat in the same turn it routs.  Does this cause the corresponding loss (men, equipment, morale) that one would see in a battle result of 'routed'?

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 585
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/12/2012 8:34:12 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Seminole

quote:

13. Germans do not rout.

If you cut off a German unit and then force it to retreat in the same turn it routs.  Does this cause the corresponding loss (men, equipment, morale) that one would see in a battle result of 'routed'?

True, but I was thinking more in the way the early USSR and the Rumanian units rout. Directly off the line.

Terje

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 586
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/12/2012 8:51:39 PM   
Seminole

quote:

True, but I was thinking more in the way the early USSR and the Rumanian units rout. Directly off the line.

Understand, I'm just actually asking if it does the same thing.
I'm in my third week of the '41 winter and have a chance to do that do some German units.  Should I 'rout' them this way, or focus harder on getting them isolated and surrendered?

I ask because 15.9.4. EFFECT OF ROUTING states: "Routed units do not receive replacements."

That might be worthwhile, on top of retreat attrition, especially with first winter rules.  Particularly weighed against the odds of obtaining and holding a genuine encirclement.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 587
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/12/2012 9:19:22 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Seminole

quote:

Understand, I'm just actually asking if it does the same thing.
I'm in my third week of the '41 winter and have a chance to do that do some German units.  Should I 'rout' them this way, or focus harder on getting them isolated and surrendered?

I ask because 15.9.4. EFFECT OF ROUTING states: "Routed units do not receive replacements."

That might be worthwhile, on top of retreat attrition, especially with first winter rules.  Particularly weighed against the odds of obtaining and holding a genuine encirclement.

That, is a question for those that actually know what they are doing

Terje

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 588
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/12/2012 9:25:37 PM   
terje439

Turn 163

Overall
This time the Axis had not fallen back, and the number of attacks made by us went back up. This time we manage a total of 31 attacks, scoring 10 held and 21 retreats. Unfortunately only 2 of the held results knocked down the fortification level of the target hex, and also not too good, 3 of our attacks increased enemy defensive CV by 2-5 points.
Losses are given at;
Axis : 66.000 troops and 231 AFVs
USSR : 129.000 troops and 764 AFVs. Of the AFVs, aproxomately 450 were lost in "held" results...
166.000 workers report to the manpower pool, ending it at 9.155.

Units
6 TACs were sent to the reserves.
We form 2 rifle corps (and found out that division+guard division+guard brigade does not equal guard corps), and order the creation of 3 mechanized brigades and 3 breakthrough artillery divisions.
Our forces claim a net growth of 54.000 troops this turn.

Partisans
The Axis chase away 6 units, leaving 25 on the board. The remaining units perform 7 sabotage actions this turn, and are rewarded by a mere 4 supply drops.

Edit
All the "empty" hexes below are retreat results, they are not left open because I do not want to advance, but because I lack the MP to do so.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/12/2012 9:26:10 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 589
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/13/2012 1:26:10 AM   
M60A3TTS

If you're still taking screenie requests, can I see the guards rifle corps sorted by morale? You should be at a NM of 60 and I'm curious how the best of your elite units compare to that.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 590
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/13/2012 1:52:27 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

If you're still taking screenie requests, can I see the guards rifle corps sorted by morale? You should be at a NM of 60 and I'm curious how the best of your elite units compare to that.

Will reload and make another screenie, saw the request after I did the turn. Gimme a minute after the next post and it should be here :)

Terje

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 591
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/13/2012 1:59:35 AM   
terje439

Turn 164

Overall
We keep on pushing. In the far south the Germans and Rumanians try to throw us back across the Don, but they suffer a held result for their effort. We launch 34 attacks this turn, and score 12 held and 22 retreats. I am also wondering if the Germans are working together with the mole people, as they manage to build from fortification level 2 to 3 in one turn in alot of places...Nevertheless we keep on pushing, bypassing harder targets (I'm hex-hopping while the US is island-hopping in the Pacific...) and try to force the Axis to keep pulling back in some areas. We are now one hex from Moscow and Tula, but the going is slow in those two areas. It seems more likely the front will crack in the area Voronezh-Rostov.
Losses are given at;
Axis : 71.000 troops and 206 AFVs
USSR : 130.000 troops and 665 AFVs.

Units
3 LBs, 1 RC, 9 TACs are sent to the reserves this turn. Damn those unions
We form one tank corps and one mechanized corps. Since this leaves us with 28 points, we do not build artillery this turn, but instead create 2 rifle divisions and 1 rifle brigade.
Our forces show a net growth of 63.000 troops for this turn.

Partisans
24 remain after 7 run away. The remaining must all be scared, because they only managed 2 acts of sabotague this turn. The number of supply drops increases to 8 though.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 592
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/13/2012 2:03:32 AM   
terje439

As requested

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 593
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/13/2012 2:33:34 AM   
juret

nice 80morale mech corp :) elite unit for sure

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 594
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/13/2012 3:32:59 AM   
terje439

quote:

nice 80morale mech corp :) elite unit for sure

12 CV with 61% TOE, I would have to agree

Terje

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 595
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/13/2012 9:37:37 PM   
terje439

Turn 165

Overall
The Axis fall back in 95% of the front, this presents us with a difficulty in launching alot of attacks as most of our rifle corps simply lack the MP to move three hexes and launch an attack. We do manage a total of 21 attacks though, scoring 3 held and 18 retreats. We also estimate that Tula will fall next turn. Since the Axis left 4 Rumanians as speedbumbers in the Don area, we have completely surrounded two divisions there, and partially surrounded two more.
The losses report state as follows:
Axis : 57.000 troops and 220 AFVs
USSR : 83.000 troops and 469 AFVs
A total of 175.000 workers report to the manpower pool, ending it at 2.000.

Units
We sent 9 TACs and 1 LB to the reserves, as their morale has dropped alot in the last turn.
We form one mechanized corps and order the construction of 2 cavalry divisions this turn.
Our army grew by 97.000 troops this turn.

Liberation
Cherepovets is liberated this turn.

Partisans
We have 25 units on the map after the Axis only chased away 4 units this turn. Our guys managed 4 sabotague missions, but are nevertheless given a whole 10 supply drops this turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 596
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/13/2012 10:08:06 PM   
Peltonx

I am guessing he is trading space for time. He can easly withdraw a good 27 to 42 hexes in some areas just to get to rivers and the western side of your picture, which will pull you a good distance from railheads. If he plans it right he stop about blizzard time and you be very limited in good attacks because you be low on supplies.

OR

With only 40 movement turns (plus 20 mud turns) left he can basicly with draw 2 to 3 hexes per turn and still be a good distance from German June 1941 border and get atleast a minor German victory.

Smart move on his part. While his army is still strong to start a fighting with drawal.

Pelton

< Message edited by Pelton -- 1/13/2012 10:10:30 PM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 597
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/13/2012 10:55:05 PM   
Q-Ball

Not many have made it this far, but those German players who have, have generally fought and died forward, and only retreat when forced to. This is interesting to do a planned withdrawl, and might be smart.

Leaving Axis Allied units behind to die, though, isn't smart. He did that before with Hungarians, which is even worse. I don't get that at all.

I can see doing that with Italians who are about to withdraw anyway, but that's it.

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 598
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/14/2012 1:00:17 AM   
terje439

Yes, I agree with both of you.
He has alot of ground to trade and still get a victory, and it might preserve his units
About those Rumanians; I found it only fair to give him the information I got in my AAR that destroyed units will be denied to me if Rumania flips, so he might decide he wants to keep on slowing me down with them to extract the much more valuable Germans and Hungarians. His problem in the south is that the few German units down there are badly depleted, and I think he might fear what will happen if he has to rely on the Rumanians to hold his south flank alone.

Anyway, think we will get a clearer picture with the next few turns.

Terje

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 599
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/14/2012 2:59:09 AM   
juret

axis minors are perfect for digging. waste of him sacrifise them. A small win for terje and might make it little easier to press on. Axis minors units dont respawn.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI