Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  687 688 [689] 690 691   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/15/2013 9:03:56 PM   
Terminus

Sometimes things just catch fire because reasons.

Also, UNP.

< Message edited by Terminus -- 7/15/2013 9:15:36 PM >

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to mattep74)
Post #: 20641
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/15/2013 9:13:33 PM   
Chickenboy

Hi Walloc,

I think you'll find that I rarely miss the opportunity to posit on these issues. I don't let an absence of facts get in my way either.

It (economic-motivated sabotage / adulteration) is commonplace. Sometimes workers are just angry with their employer. Sometimes they take the opportunity to 'double down' by using their position (with access) to blackmail their employer or somehow score against the bigger "fish".

Everyone is on tenderhooks re: Boeing right now-will the battery replacements work? Someone striving to damage their brand or consumer confidence in the brand would use a fire as a means of instilling this doubt and (maybe?) profiting from it.

Such concern saw the stock drop $9 in Friday trading before recovering. That corresponds to an intraday loss of market cap of about USD $6.7B. A market-driven panic sale. Such panickey moves are subject to abuse for personal gain.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 20642
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/15/2013 9:34:40 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Sometimes things just catch fire because reasons.

Also, UNP.

And airplanes most of all.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 20643
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/15/2013 9:38:44 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Hi Walloc,

I think you'll find that I rarely miss the opportunity to posit on these issues. I don't let an absence of facts get in my way either.

It (economic-motivated sabotage / adulteration) is commonplace. Sometimes workers are just angry with their employer. Sometimes they take the opportunity to 'double down' by using their position (with access) to blackmail their employer or somehow score against the bigger "fish".

Everyone is on tenderhooks re: Boeing right now-will the battery replacements work? Someone striving to damage their brand or consumer confidence in the brand would use a fire as a means of instilling this doubt and (maybe?) profiting from it.

Such concern saw the stock drop $9 in Friday trading before recovering. That corresponds to an intraday loss of market cap of about USD $6.7B. A market-driven panic sale. Such panickey moves are subject to abuse for personal gain.

Sorry CB. I have to disagree. Too many years of government service has caused me to chant this mantra when ever anyone suggest conspiracy. "Never assume malice when incompetence is likely.

Airplanes burn quite nicely (and easily). Especially when human being's are in near proximity.

I would be very interested in how many wiring bundles are present in the affected area.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20644
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/15/2013 9:59:35 PM   
Terminus

Just ONE short circuit.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 20645
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/15/2013 10:09:28 PM   
nashvillen

Magnesium burns quite well and even more so when water is applied. There was a lot of magnesium in the B-29s according to a nice gentleman I met on my tour of FiFi. He said they had lots of fun with the scraps from what they used to fix the fuselage with.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 20646
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/15/2013 10:15:00 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
Airplanes burn quite nicely (and easily). Especially when human being's are in near proximity.

Speaking of burning aeroplanes, the thing to really make your multi-million dollar flying machine ignite nicely is kapton insulation. As widely used on the mighty Tristar. And maybe the VC-10 but no-one was quite sure when I was there. It doesn't really help that the stuff they build aeroplanes out of tends to burn anyway. Aluminium burns rather well as do a lot of composites. The composites are also good for releasing nasty stuff into the air as well.

Lets face it, Steve is probably fairly close with his theory on incompetence. If you ever actually manage to read the safety notes and operation manuals for an aeroplane you'll be surprised at the number of times you question why they needed to put that particular warning in. But someone, somewhere has been stupid enough in the past...

I suppose that a good thing about the VC-10 was that it was largely manufactured from large chunks of stainless steel. No chance of that burning. There was also no electrical wiring. The engine were controlled by a direct, mechanical, link between the flight deck and the engines. And all the instrument readouts were poerformed by little goblins that ran between the various systems and the engineer's panel

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 20647
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/15/2013 10:30:32 PM   
Chickenboy

And now...

CATS

IN

SPAAAACCEEEEE....

(Pigeons too!)

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=151_1373721053

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20648
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/15/2013 11:45:17 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Hi Walloc,

Sorry CB. I have to disagree. Too many years of government service has caused me to chant this mantra when ever anyone suggest conspiracy. "Never assume malice when incompetence is likely.

I would be very interested in how many wiring bundles are present in the affected area.

I hear ya, Steve. I think a mechanical fault is a very reasonable (and likely) outcome here. I certainly wouldn't overlook incompetence as a more likely cause. I also want to make it clear that economically-motivated adulteration or sabotage is usually not a conspiracy per se, so much as an individual bad actor causing harm where they have sensitive access.

I'm very curious to see what the NTSB and friends will find. I do find it at least somewhat interesting that there haven't been any press releases from them or even preliminary publications of findings. Yet they've been on task for at least 3 days now.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 20649
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 3:34:12 AM   
Victory is mine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

Speaking of burning aeroplanes...

Here I was getting ready for a thread on Japanese bombers.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20650
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 3:38:56 AM   
Victory is mine

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510
I didn't realize the AI was coded to occupy Australia?

The exact words of Prime Minister Curtin.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 20651
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 3:41:09 AM   
Victory is mine

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

That's probably a good way to give yourself a challenge as the Allies and make for an interesting game vs. the AI.

That was my thinking. We'll see how long the challenge lasts. Hopefully long enough for me to learn the game well enough to start a PBEM game.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 20652
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 7:25:42 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Nice schematics, Leo.  The fire looks as though it burned through right in the area of the crew's rear quarters.  Steve's 'smoking' observation may not be so far off the mark.  Of course, it could also have been someone intentionally ****ing with the airline in the interests of sticking one in the eye of the great Satan and its industrial efforts too. 

Who knows?  I'm confident that the NTSB and on-site investigation will uncover the truth.

What worries me much more Andre, is the smaller picture of the 787 wins in flight in upper right corner (i.e. the wing flex on this aircraft is enormous )!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20653
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 7:26:50 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

I think we misunderstood Martin!

I don't approve of people being there at all!

But I also think that landing 40 million Euro worth warplane at the strict beginning of the runway (i.e. on "Piano keys") is really not necessary... why not aiming 100+ meters up the runway - it is so much safer and the runway is long enough...

No worries, in that case I'm sorry if my post felt like I was aiming an attack at you.

As far as I'm concerned (from a non-pilot perspective) it's no problem, the plane is down safely with no damage. Would there be any issue if the plane had landed on the piano keys if the runway was 100m further away from the fence? It might not be necessary, but it's down safely. If nothing else, it builds confidence in the pilot that he can land on a short runway if needed.
If we're honest about it, the whole concept of an airshow is totally unnecessary, but it's an excuse to show off as pilots do.

No worries mate!

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.
I somehow missed this post yesterday...

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20654
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 7:42:17 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

Nice schematics, Leo.  The fire looks as though it burned through right in the area of the crew's rear quarters.  Steve's 'smoking' observation may not be so far off the mark.  Of course, it could also have been someone intentionally ****ing with the airline in the interests of sticking one in the eye of the great Satan and its industrial efforts too. 

Who knows?  I'm confident that the NTSB and on-site investigation will uncover the truth.

What worries me much more Andre, is the smaller picture of the 787 wins in flight in upper right corner (i.e. the wing flex on this aircraft is enormous )!

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 20655
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 10:26:01 AM   
fodder

Good Morning!

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 20656
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 1:30:35 PM   
USSAmerica

Good morning - Tithe.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 20657
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 2:13:02 PM   
nashvillen

Good Morning!

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 20658
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 2:20:55 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

Leo "Apollo11"

A flapping wing gives a much more comfortable ride. A stiff wing (Such as in the Lockheed P-3 or Electra) gives a much rougher ride. As it was explained to me , "would you rather have the wing go up and down , or the fuselage (with you in it) go up and down?" Besides, there is nothing wrong with "flapping wings" Birds do it all the time.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 20659
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 3:26:06 PM   
Chickenboy

Good morning tithe.

That's some amazing engineering going into those wings. I imagine that that *does* give a smoother flight, still it's got to be unsettling to the uninitiated.

ETA: Steve, turn's back to you now, right? I've lost track. I'm not expecting it back for the time being, per our discussions, but just wanted to make sure that you've got 'the ball'.

ETA II: How's the back?

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 7/16/2013 3:28:26 PM >

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 20660
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 3:29:10 PM   
Chickenboy

A "Nashvillen off by 10 posts" INP tithe. 

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20661
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 3:35:35 PM   
nashvillen

Isn't it great when you can laugh at yourself almost as hard as those around you?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20662
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 3:41:56 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

A flapping wing gives a much more comfortable ride. A stiff wing (Such as in the Lockheed P-3 or Electra) gives a much rougher ride. As it was explained to me , "would you rather have the wing go up and down , or the fuselage (with you in it) go up and down?" Besides, there is nothing wrong with "flapping wings" Birds do it all the time.

Steve, I understand the physics... but still... 26 feet (i.e. about 7+ meters) of wing flap is very unsettling to watch...

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 20663
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 3:47:21 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Good morning tithe.

That's some amazing engineering going into those wings. I imagine that that *does* give a smoother flight, still it's got to be unsettling to the uninitiated.

ETA: Steve, turn's back to you now, right? I've lost track. I'm not expecting it back for the time being, per our discussions, but just wanted to make sure that you've got 'the ball'.

ETA II: How's the back?

I really don't know Andre. I'm sitting at a laptop surrounded by boxes and movers packing said boxes.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20664
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 3:58:19 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Steve, I understand the physics... but still... 26 feet (i.e. about 7+ meters) of wing flap is very unsettling to watch...

Leo "Apollo11"

Not nearly as unsettling being in the fuselage and having it "flap" the same amount.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 20665
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 5:23:03 PM   
Dixie

quote:

Hi all,

Leo "Apollo11"

It's pretty normal to some extent, even an aeroplane without the feature will do it unless it has a very heavy duty spar. On the Tristar it was necessary to fill the outboard wing tanks in order to minimise the effects of the lift on the wingtips. Otherwise it was theoretically possible for a heavily laden Tristar to lose the wings as they separated from the fuselage.

We do something similar with the Lancaster as well in order to minimise the stress on the wing spars.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 20666
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 5:24:55 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Otherwise it was theoretically possible for a heavily laden Tristar to lose the wings as they separated from the fuselage.

Wouldn't this loss of drag improve airworthiness and top speed of the aircraft?

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20667
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 5:25:35 PM   
Terminus

For military aircraft, the B-52 and U-2 have very impressive wing flexing.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20668
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 5:27:41 PM   
Dixie

quote:

quote:

Otherwise it was theoretically possible for a heavily laden Tristar to lose the wings as they separated from the fuselage.

Wouldn't this loss of drag improve airworthiness and top speed of the aircraft?

It's an interesting theory. On the one hand you've lost probably somewhere in the region of 15 tons of fuel plus assorted wing structure. On the other hand you've lost forty plus feet of wing structure. Potentially more if you're really heavily laden. Maybe a sort of Sports Tristar?

Rumours are that this is how Supermarine came up with the clipped wing Spitfires.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20669
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 5:29:18 PM   
Dixie

I'm going to my first 'proper' air show in many years on Saturday. Flying in style as well. Hopefully I'll have time to grab a lot of free stuff...

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20670
Page:   <<   < prev  687 688 [689] 690 691   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  687 688 [689] 690 691   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI