Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  704 705 [706] 707 708   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/5/2013 4:35:09 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Finally managed a bit of relaxation this weekend! Mrs. USSA is safely and happily lounging on the beach in Punta Cana with her best friend and I managed to spend about 5 hours at lounging at the apartment complex pool, drinking rum and reading "The Third World War: The Untold Story". I thought it would impress all of the lovely young ladies at the pool, but they must have already read it.

As for the WWIII book-there've been a few of these over the years. Author?

This one is Sir John Hackett. He wrote "The Third World War" around 1980 and this one from about 1982 expands on it.

Read the original, don't recall the 'update'. Worthwhile?

ETA: The first novel, IIRC, had a happy ending. The Ruskies nuked Birmingham, didn't they?

ETA II: Oh, I'm kidding for goodness sake. Ruskies nuking Birmingham would not be a happy ending.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 21151
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/5/2013 4:35:36 PM   
Chickenboy

Hey...a "Nuking Birmingham" UNP.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21152
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/5/2013 4:46:34 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ETA: The first novel, IIRC, had a happy ending. The Ruskies nuked Birmingham, didn't they?

ETA II: Oh, I'm kidding for goodness sake. Ruskies nuking Birmingham would not be a happy ending.

I've not read the book, but surely the author would have been better off nuking a city someone cares about? Even in the 1980s Birmingham was rubbish. Apart from a tyre factory and a stupid motorway junction there was nothing there.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21153
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/5/2013 5:25:41 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Finally managed a bit of relaxation this weekend! Mrs. USSA is safely and happily lounging on the beach in Punta Cana with her best friend and I managed to spend about 5 hours at lounging at the apartment complex pool, drinking rum and reading "The Third World War: The Untold Story". I thought it would impress all of the lovely young ladies at the pool, but they must have already read it.

As for the WWIII book-there've been a few of these over the years. Author?

This one is Sir John Hackett. He wrote "The Third World War" around 1980 and this one from about 1982 expands on it.

I've not read the first one. Picked this one up in a used bookstore. So far, it's much more technical details and analysis than story telling. I find it interesting, so there are probably a few around here who also will.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21154
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/5/2013 6:33:00 PM   
Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec
quote:

Nice "smallie" for ya, NoDak. Had a nice outing with my father in law this morning. A largemouth bass, this smallie, half a dozen sunfish, a white crappie and a perch. Beautiful morning too: cool in the morning, warming to the mid-70s. Oughta do that more often.

Oh the fish. Very nice. No walleyes?

Remember reading about when they were cleaning up the Great Lakes and wanted to introduce a new breed of sport fish. It had to grow kinda big, taste good, fight like heck, and breed like minks. So U Mich, Ann Arbor comes up with a cross of a Cohoe, a Walleye, and a Skeeter. They called a Kowalski. It had every attribute ... except you had to teach it to swim.

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 21155
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/5/2013 6:37:53 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec
Oh the fish. Very nice. No walleyes?

The sunnies kept ravaging our Lindy rigs as soon as we got them to depth. Finally had to switch tactics for the bass. The white crappie made me shake my head-we got that dude out of a reedy, shallow, practically impenetrable mess. They always were 'structure' fish, weren't they? Still, I could catch those guys all day-and they're very tasty too.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 21156
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/5/2013 6:38:48 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon
Remember reading about when they were cleaning up the Great Lakes and wanted to introduce a new breed of sport fish. It had to grow kinda big, taste good, fight like heck, and breed like minks. So U Mich, Ann Arbor comes up with a cross of a Cohoe, a Walleye, and a Skeeter. They called a Kowalski. It had every attribute ... except you had to teach it to swim.

I'll have to share that with some of the folks 'round these parts with a 'ski' suffix in their name, John.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 21157
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/5/2013 6:59:20 PM   
Schanilec

It was a Coho, a walleye and Muskie. A Kowalski. But it couldn't swim.

I suppose there was no size to the Bluegills. As usual. Were at a cities lake?

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21158
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/5/2013 7:10:09 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

Nice "smallie" for ya, NoDak. Had a nice outing with my father in law this morning. A largemouth bass, this smallie, half a dozen sunfish, a white crappie and a perch. Beautiful morning too: cool in the morning, warming to the mid-70s. Oughta do that more often.

No KC Royals hat huh? Did you notice our record? Twins in town tonight..

BTW, I think my $500 bet at work is in order shortly. I bet a buddy we'd see $4.50 corn by October...

We're headed up to the cabin this weekend...Smallies and whitebass.. going to show my oldest what fishing is all about.. enough of this green sunfish bullshit. Looks like you had a great time. If I could fish and golf for a living, I would be a happy man.

< Message edited by jeffk3510 -- 8/5/2013 7:14:11 PM >

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21159
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/5/2013 8:24:50 PM   
Symon

quote:

The sunnies kept ravaging our Lindy rigs as soon as we got them to depth. Finally had to switch tactics for the bass. The white crappie made me shake my head-we got that dude out of a reedy, shallow, practically impenetrable mess. They always were 'structure' fish, weren't they? Still, I could catch those guys all day-and they're very tasty too.

Remember my first real day job with TI. Was living in a condo behind Rush Creek YC on Lake Ray Hubbard. Crappie season comes around and we would just put 4 to 6 little yellow hooks on a piece of mono. Go to the end of the dock, dip down the line, have a smoke, and pull up a ton of crappie. We'd have 2 buckets behind us and fill them up. Some of the gals would scale them and then Mark (he was a trauma guy) would use a pair of pliers and an electric knife and slice off perfect crappie fillets. We had a chunky piece of steel we laid over a wood fire. Battered up the crappie, made sure the beer was cold, and had someone make margies. Darn that was good.

J

Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21160
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/5/2013 9:12:27 PM   
Symon

Oh, well, no fish today. Making Jaden's beef with brocolli. Soy, garlic, oyster sauce, Basmati rice and some shavings from green onions. Yum, yum, yum. Marinating the sirloin, so gonna take Beaudy down the road and see if we can't hook up with this really nice brown haired fox. Woof !! J

Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 21161
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/5/2013 9:19:56 PM   
Schanilec

quote:

Oh, well, no fish today. Making Jaden's beef with brocolli. Soy, garlic, oyster sauce, Basmati rice and some shavings from green onions. Yum, yum, yum. Marinating the sirloin, so gonna take Beaudy down the road and see if we can't hook up with this really nice brown haired fox. Woof !! J

Your a regular Ichi-ban's aren't you.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 21162
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/5/2013 9:23:49 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

quote:

Remember my first real day job with TI. Was living in a condo behind Rush Creek YC on Lake Ray Hubbard. Crappie season comes around and we would just put 4 to 6 little yellow hooks on a piece of mono. Go to the end of the dock, dip down the line, have a smoke, and pull up a ton of crappie. We'd have 2 buckets behind us and fill them up. Some of the gals would scale them and then Mark (he was a trauma guy) would use a pair of pliers and an electric knife and slice off perfect crappie fillets. We had a chunky piece of steel we laid over a wood fire. Battered up the crappie, made sure the beer was cold, and had someone make margies. Darn that was good.

J

Nothing like crappie fishin'

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 21163
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/5/2013 9:24:45 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

BTW, I think my $500 bet at work is in order shortly. I bet a buddy we'd see $4.50 corn by October...

We're headed up to the cabin this weekend...Smallies and whitebass.. going to show my oldest what fishing is all about.. enough of this green sunfish bullshit. Looks like you had a great time. If I could fish and golf for a living, I would be a happy man.

If you're open to bets on $4.50 corn (December), can I get in on that action? I'll take the upside of that-as in "no way there will be $4.50 corn in December". Five Benjamins is a little rich for my blood, but I'll go a case of beer of your choice. Domestic.

My Gold Standard for a crappy season for the AL Central is when the Royals are doing better than you. That's a lousy season. Still, while I feel for the locals, my Oakland A's are still leading the Texas Rangers. What's that? Texas just lost one of their best players for 50 games and Bartolo Colon is safe? So sorry!

You guys still have water in your lakes? You've had a brutal summer, I'm surprised that you're not all burnt up in Kansas, dude.

I could take or leave the sunnies, mostly leave. Now the bass, crappie and walleye? All day long...

Public service announcement: Did you guys know that if you're a pasty faced Northerner that you should wear sunscreen when you're out on the water for 6 hours on a sunny day? I've got a nice red line below where Goldie Gopher was prominently displayed there. What a dumbass.

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 21164
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/5/2013 9:39:23 PM   
Chickenboy

Got a note from AW1Steve this morning. They've found a new place near Scott and move in this week. He will likely be offline until this weekend due to the lack of wireless / cable connectivity.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21165
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/5/2013 9:44:47 PM   
Lecivius

My son keeps a 4.0 average, I get to take him fishing. Its a win/win situation

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 21166
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/5/2013 9:57:11 PM   
nashvillen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Dang, that is a big ol' mossback!

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 21167
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/5/2013 10:01:05 PM   
Chickenboy

Sweet!

ETA: One of my fondest memories is treating my father and father-in-law to a week in Canada Walleye and Northern Pike fishing about 10 years ago. Just us three guys, fishing, telling lies, passing gas, drinking and eating extremely well. A 'catered' (by our guide) shore lunch with the morning's catch was a highlight there. Sure, it was a fishing resort (no fly-in), but it was still an outstanding experience with just the three of us.

Now that my dad is no longer physically able, I don't know if that will ever happen again, but it was a great time.

For those of you youngsters out there-do it while you can. Before "life" and all its day-to-day bullshit gets in the way.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 8/5/2013 10:06:18 PM >

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 21168
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/5/2013 10:06:55 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

quote:

If you're open to bets on $4.50 corn (December), can I get in on that action? I'll take the upside of that-as in "no way there will be $4.50 corn in December". Five Benjamins is a little rich for my blood, but I'll go a case of beer of your choice. Domestic.

My Gold Standard for a crappy season for the AL Central is when the Royals are doing better than you. That's a lousy season. Still, while I feel for the locals, my Oakland A's are still leading the Texas Rangers. What's that? Texas just lost one of their best players for 50 games and Bartolo Colon is safe? So sorry!

You guys still have water in your lakes? You've had a brutal summer, I'm surprised that you're not all burnt up in Kansas, dude.

I could take or leave the sunnies, mostly leave. Now the bass, crappie and walleye? All day long...

Public service announcement: Did you guys know that if you're a pasty faced Northerner that you should wear sunscreen when you're out on the water for 6 hours on a sunny day? I've got a nice red line below where Goldie Gopher was prominently displayed there. What a dumbass.

I never said over or under 4.50, I said we'd see it. I did bet him another $500 that we're below $4.00 by Dec 31... I would take you up on a case of beer...lets lay out the bet. I'd go with $4.00 CZ13 corn by Dec 31 if you'd take that bet. I prefer Boulevard unfiltered Wheat Beer. I can PM you my addy if you just want to go ahead and get it out of the way...

We've had a ton of rain and cool weather this summer here...it's like a garden in Central KS...30 mi west of hear and to the CO border, not so much but FAR better than the last two years. The brome is so thick at the farm, we can't see the cattle when they're laying down. It is dryer south of town (our farms) then north up here at the office, but FAR better than the last two summers.

We could potentially have the largest corn crop we've ever had.

Also, I can agree to your statement about fishing in Canada from first hand experience. If you enjoy fishing, and get the opportunity to go to Canada to fish, DO IT. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT. IT IS WORTH EVERY PENNY.

< Message edited by jeffk3510 -- 8/5/2013 10:10:40 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21169
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/5/2013 10:08:53 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 21170
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/5/2013 10:09:05 PM   
Schanilec

eight or nine pounder? Very nice. Northern Canada?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21171
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/5/2013 10:10:02 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Well, that's what USDA is saying. If you believe their forecasts. They were off, IIRC, some 6% last year. I coulda guessed better than that. Still, with 14% of the crop 'behind' as of a couple weeks ago, I don't know how they're going to get to their 'record crop' prediction.

Wait one on the specific $400 bet. I've got some legwork to do. Will PM you acceptance thereafter and name the beer you're sending me.

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 21172
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/5/2013 10:11:59 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

quote:

Well, that's what USDA is saying. If you believe their forecasts. They were off, IIRC, some 6% last year. I coulda guessed better than that. Still, with 14% of the crop 'behind' as of a couple weeks ago, I don't know how they're going to get to their 'record crop' prediction.

Wait one on the specific $400 bet. I've got some legwork to do. Will PM you acceptance thereafter and name the beer you're sending me.

Especially here...it's been 75-90 every day and rains every other day.. cool in the evening...it will be one of the largest Kanza has ever had... It is so short nearby, that we're buying corn in Cen to Southern TX, shipping to Kansas/Nebraska as we speak, paying $1500-2000 per load, and still coming out ahead very nicely.

Buying new crop values and selling them versus old crop values = healthy living + more walleye fishing vacations.

< Message edited by jeffk3510 -- 8/5/2013 10:13:27 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21173
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/6/2013 11:33:07 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Good day!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 21174
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/6/2013 1:42:44 PM   
USSAmerica

Good morning - Tithe.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 21175
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/6/2013 2:29:00 PM   
Schanilec

Again cool outside. And good morning all.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 21176
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/6/2013 2:35:22 PM   
jeffk3510

We got blasted last night...trees down all over town..2.5" of rain was great...however, the 100 mph wind gusts were not. We've been in the worst drought since the 30s for the last two years, and this year is shaping up to be the wettest summer we've had in a long time...crazy.

Guess who gets to put back up new fence that he installed last year?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 21177
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/6/2013 2:56:13 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

We are still at almost +40 degrees Centigrade here... all records broken (it was the same with snow in the winter)...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 21178
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/6/2013 2:59:08 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

We got blasted last night...trees down all over town..2.5" of rain was great...however, the 100 mph wind gusts were not. We've been in the worst drought since the 30s for the last two years, and this year is shaping up to be the wettest summer we've had in a long time...crazy.

Guess who gets to put back up new fence that he installed last year?

Sorry to hear that, mate. Hope your house is OK. Hail?

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 21179
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/6/2013 3:08:17 PM   
nashvillen

Good Morning!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21180
Page:   <<   < prev  704 705 [706] 707 708   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  704 705 [706] 707 708   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI