Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  101 102 [103] 104 105   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/30/2019 7:06:05 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch
The trailer for next week shows 2 dragons...one is enough to win a war.

I have not seen this. If so, this makes me smile. I was saddened by the thought of 2 having been killed.

Yes, the one that had a bad case of 'zombie dandruff' survived. Both are still around. I wonder what their service ratings are (a WiTP:AE joke there that was) ?

I wonder if they can breed...brings a new meaning to Mother of Dragons

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3061
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/30/2019 7:10:33 PM   
Chickenboy

Wot? No jokes here about the downfall of the "Wight supremist" movement in the last episode?

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3062
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/30/2019 7:14:20 PM   
Zorch

quote:

Wot? No jokes here about the downfall of the "Wight supremist" movement in the last episode?

Hey the Wights can rise again, (w)ight? If it happened once...
They still have to explain the Night Watch leaving babies for the Night King. Or did I miss that?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3063
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/30/2019 7:15:38 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

quote:

I have not seen this. If so, this makes me smile. I was saddened by the thought of 2 having been killed.

Yes, the one that had a bad case of 'zombie dandruff' survived. Both are still around. I wonder what their service ratings are (a WiTP:AE joke there that was) ?

I wonder if they can breed...brings a new meaning to Mother of Dragons

Such things have been known to happen in this show

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3064
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/1/2019 12:27:25 AM   
bomccarthy

Unless I am mistaken, the Golden Company has been paid for (I seem to recall that the Tyrell gold escaped the Loot Train massacre and made it to King’s Landing). Therefore, the 20k mercenaries are loyal to Cersei … so long as she is alive. Should she die, the Golden Company will have little motivation to fight - they are historically loyal to their patron, but probably not dumb enough to fight and die for a dead patron who has already paid them.

Moreover, having executed, double-crossed, or otherwise alienated almost all of the ladies and lords in the Seven Kingdoms, including her own Lannister cousins, and having lost any support amongst the common folk of King’s Landing (after the suspicious explosion in the Sept killed their populist religious leader and beloved Queen Margaery), Cersei is fresh out of friends, except Qyburn and the undead Mountain.

All of this means that once Cersei is dead, there will likely be no one in King’s Landing willing to take up her fight. Cersei is like the Night Queen of King’s Landing. Kill her with assassins and the resistance collapses.

This is the smart play for Daenerys, who has no Dothraki left, severely depleted Unsullied ranks, two wounded dragons, and exhausted/wary Northerners who are loyal to, and fight for, Sansa.

But, Daenerys time and again succumbs to impulse over reason (such as executing those who refuse to bend the knee after she defeats them in battle, or charging her dragons against the Wight masses instead of first locating the Knight King and undead Viserion or lighting the defensive trench with fire). She just lost the one person who knew how to counsel patience successfully (Sir Jorah Mormont). She no longer trusts Jon/Aegon, since discovering he holds the superior legal claim to the Iron Throne. And she no longer believes that her Hand is the wisest advisor in Westeros. I am not even going to try to predict what sudden impulse she is going to follow next, but it may well be her last.

I am going to go out on a limb and leave Jon/Aegon out of the contest for the throne. He was raised by Ned Stark to value personal oaths and undying loyalty to them. I still think that he takes his oath as a member of the Knight’s Watch seriously - including foreswearing any title. He will look back on the example of Maester Aemon Targaryen, who kept his oath rather than exercise his own claim to the Iron Throne. Indeed, Maester Aemon may have secretly known who Jon/Aegon really was and revealed his own story as an example to be followed. Besides, Jon/Aegon never wanted to be King of the North, much less King of Westeros.

Which leaves Sansa. Her character follows a classic theme in literature: a person who falls from position and undergoes severe adversity, growing into a leader who earns the respect and even love of those whom she ultimately leads.

Sansa learned to survive as a captive of Joffrey/Cersei, a captive in all but name of Littlefinger, and a captive of Ramsay Bolton. She intentionally made everyone underestimate her in order to stay alive, but also carefully observed and learned from all of her captors. Realizing that Jon was going to impulsively march on Winterfell with inadequate forces in an attempt to save Rickon, thereby falling into Ramsey’s trap, Sansa secretly made an alliance with Littlefinger and the Knights of the Vail, who saved Jon’s forces at the Battle of the Bastards. She nearly fell for Littlefinger’s final scheme to sow conflict between her and Arya, but was able to recognize it as almost the same plan Littlefinger had used to pit sisters Catelyn Star and Lysa Arryn against each other, ultimately precipitating the conflict between the Starks and the Lannisters.

Sansa expressed some defiance to Daenerys before the great battle; she could backpedal on this defiance in the short term, waiting for Daenerys to embark on some fatal impulse. Sansa seems to sense the pulse of the Northerners and may realize that no one wants more violent conflict in light of what has just happened.

So, if I were to make a prediction:

Daenerys gets Sansa’s acquiescence to lead what is left of the Northern armies and the Unsullied south, allying with the Tully forces at Riverrun (Jaime and Sansa convince Edmure Tully that it is in his best interest) to confront the Golden Company and Lannister army.

A battle of some sort results, with the still recovering dragons making up for the lack of numbers to trigger a stalemate. One dragon is lost, which causes Daenerys to fly into a rage, literally, riding the last dragon (probably Drogon) in a futile and fatal attempt to win the day.

In the meantime, Jaime, Bronn, and the Hound slip into King’s Landing to assassinate Cersei (I seem to recall that a witch told teenage Cersei that she would die at the hands of a loved one). However, the plan does not pan out (of course), and Arya deals one or more of the death blows, maybe while wearing Walder Frey’s face.

Sansa assumes the Iron Throne and brings peace at last to the people Westeros, who in turn love their red-headed queen who decides never to marry but be “wedded” to her people.

The Three-Eyed Raven tells Lord Commander Targaryen and Maester Tarly that he has discovered the Night Queen of ancient legend, living in the far north with her White Walker children (donated by Craster and his daughter wives) ….

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3065
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/1/2019 12:29:58 AM   
RFalvo69

Any 16 years old who had read a fantasy miniature battle manual like Warhammer could come up with a better strategy for the defenders.

Keep your distance. Use the dragons in interdiction mode, breathing fire over, and over, (and over, for days if possible), while the undead must first cover the last part of their march and then charge in the open to reach Winterfell (AKA: USE YOUR DRAGONS! Don't keep them in the pocket for "the glorious battle"). If the Undead Dragon shows up, go with your two against one and try to regain air superiority. DON'T PUT YOUR ARTILLERY IN FRONT OF THE TROOPS.

I could go on, but you get the gist.

However, I must admit that the episode was fantastically shot and acted. You can blame the actors if their parts all of suddend become badly written. But the writing... boy, I'm pretty sure that some characters spent the battle teleporting around the battlefield. And don't me start with "The Amazing Flying Arya" (which, if you realy think about it, made almost all of the other deaths meaningless... )

I really liked the send-off the gave to Jorah Mormont: a simple scene, buy I was touched.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3066
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/1/2019 2:02:41 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: bomccarthy

Unless I am mistaken, the Golden Company has been paid for (I seem to recall that the Tyrell gold escaped the Loot Train massacre and made it to King’s Landing). Therefore, the 20k mercenaries are loyal to Cersei … so long as she is alive.

Was the Iron Bank paid in full? This video suggests otherwise. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCL4HmdSIPs

I know, Youtube videos are a dime a hundred, but bankers are no dummies. Cersei is going to get a big surprise...

Jaime will be the one to kill Cersei, IMHO. Unless Arya beats him to it. Maybe it will be like an Agatha Christie novel and each character will get to stab Cersei.

George R R Martin said the ending will be "bittersweet". I interpret this as meaning that 1 (or more!) of the good guys will die. Could be Daenerys, Sansa, Tyrion, or Jon. The 3 Eyed Raven and the Azor Ahai prophecy will come into it somehow.

They have a lot to pack into 3 episodes, even if they're all 80 minutes long.

(in reply to bomccarthy)
Post #: 3067
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/1/2019 2:32:23 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Unless I am mistaken, the Golden Company has been paid for (I seem to recall that the Tyrell gold escaped the Loot Train massacre and made it to King’s Landing). Therefore, the 20k mercenaries are loyal to Cersei … so long as she is alive. Should she die, the Golden Company will have little motivation to fight - they are historically loyal to their patron, but probably not dumb enough to fight and die for a dead patron who has already paid them.

Moreover, having executed, double-crossed, or otherwise alienated almost all of the ladies and lords in the Seven Kingdoms, including her own Lannister cousins, and having lost any support amongst the common folk of King’s Landing (after the suspicious explosion in the Sept killed their populist religious leader and beloved Queen Margaery), Cersei is fresh out of friends, except Qyburn and the undead Mountain.

All of this means that once Cersei is dead, there will likely be no one in King’s Landing willing to take up her fight. Cersei is like the Night Queen of King’s Landing. Kill her with assassins and the resistance collapses.

This is the smart play for Daenerys, who has no Dothraki left, severely depleted Unsullied ranks, two wounded dragons, and exhausted/wary Northerners who are loyal to, and fight for, Sansa.

But, Daenerys time and again succumbs to impulse over reason (such as executing those who refuse to bend the knee after she defeats them in battle, or charging her dragons against the Wight masses instead of first locating the Knight King and undead Viserion or lighting the defensive trench with fire). She just lost the one person who knew how to counsel patience successfully (Sir Jorah Mormont). She no longer trusts Jon/Aegon, since discovering he holds the superior legal claim to the Iron Throne. And she no longer believes that her Hand is the wisest advisor in Westeros. I am not even going to try to predict what sudden impulse she is going to follow next, but it may well be her last.

I am going to go out on a limb and leave Jon/Aegon out of the contest for the throne. He was raised by Ned Stark to value personal oaths and undying loyalty to them. I still think that he takes his oath as a member of the Knight’s Watch seriously - including foreswearing any title. He will look back on the example of Maester Aemon Targaryen, who kept his oath rather than exercise his own claim to the Iron Throne. Indeed, Maester Aemon may have secretly known who Jon/Aegon really was and revealed his own story as an example to be followed. Besides, Jon/Aegon never wanted to be King of the North, much less King of Westeros.

Which leaves Sansa. Her character follows a classic theme in literature: a person who falls from position and undergoes severe adversity, growing into a leader who earns the respect and even love of those whom she ultimately leads.

Sansa learned to survive as a captive of Joffrey/Cersei, a captive in all but name of Littlefinger, and a captive of Ramsay Bolton. She intentionally made everyone underestimate her in order to stay alive, but also carefully observed and learned from all of her captors. Realizing that Jon was going to impulsively march on Winterfell with inadequate forces in an attempt to save Rickon, thereby falling into Ramsey’s trap, Sansa secretly made an alliance with Littlefinger and the Knights of the Vail, who saved Jon’s forces at the Battle of the Bastards. She nearly fell for Littlefinger’s final scheme to sow conflict between her and Arya, but was able to recognize it as almost the same plan Littlefinger had used to pit sisters Catelyn Star and Lysa Arryn against each other, ultimately precipitating the conflict between the Starks and the Lannisters.

Sansa expressed some defiance to Daenerys before the great battle; she could backpedal on this defiance in the short term, waiting for Daenerys to embark on some fatal impulse. Sansa seems to sense the pulse of the Northerners and may realize that no one wants more violent conflict in light of what has just happened.

So, if I were to make a prediction:

Daenerys gets Sansa’s acquiescence to lead what is left of the Northern armies and the Unsullied south, allying with the Tully forces at Riverrun (Jaime and Sansa convince Edmure Tully that it is in his best interest) to confront the Golden Company and Lannister army.

A battle of some sort results, with the still recovering dragons making up for the lack of numbers to trigger a stalemate. One dragon is lost, which causes Daenerys to fly into a rage, literally, riding the last dragon (probably Drogon) in a futile and fatal attempt to win the day.

In the meantime, Jaime, Bronn, and the Hound slip into King’s Landing to assassinate Cersei (I seem to recall that a witch told teenage Cersei that she would die at the hands of a loved one). However, the plan does not pan out (of course), and Arya deals one or more of the death blows, maybe while wearing Walder Frey’s face.

Sansa assumes the Iron Throne and brings peace at last to the people Westeros, who in turn love their red-headed queen who decides never to marry but be “wedded” to her people.

The Three-Eyed Raven tells Lord Commander Targaryen and Maester Tarly that he has discovered the Night Queen of ancient legend, living in the far north with her White Walker children (donated by Craster and his daughter wives) ….

bomccarthy,

A brilliant summary and position piece. I find your potential outcomes to be not only plausible, but probable. Great take on the series.

(in reply to bomccarthy)
Post #: 3068
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/1/2019 7:25:41 AM   
terje439

Well, if we are prediciting where we will be in a few weeks;

I base this on one exchange of words between Danerys and (I simply cannot recall) either Varys or Tyrion, where she is told that time is like a wheel. To which she responds that she will not stop the wheel, but break it.
Well, as happens all the time in this show, she will fail. I do not think she will break the wheel, she will simply start another round;

Danerys will take the Iron Throne, she will accept Sansa as Warden of the North (which Sansa will accept, coming around in the end). Danerys however is allready knocked up, her kid which ofc is the result of an aunt-nephew relationship will turn out to be quite mad, and when (s)he takes the throne will start another round of murderous behaviour.

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3069
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/1/2019 8:30:24 AM   
warspite1

Massive SPOILER ALERT: Do not read if you are not completely up to date with Game of Thrones Season 8 – episode 3

Thanks for your input bomccarty. I would comment as follows:

quote:

This is true – and would be a way for the producers to avoid another massive set piece battle should the budget have been used up already. But I hope – and suspect - not. They will go in tandem.

quote:

Is poor old Edmure even alive? I hope so because Roslin needs to be seen again.

But re the truce continuing, you might be right, and sadly its looking like this may prove to be the case (I’ve just seen the trailer for episode 4), but I really hope this is not what pans out - this strategy to my mind would be so unrealistic after everything that has just happened.

The parties set aside their differences to defeat the NK – and that made sense because he was a threat to their entire existence; fail to defeat the NK and nothing else matters. But now, with the NK defeated, both parties have made their positions clear – the MoD wants to rule the Seven Kingdoms (and that includes the North). Sansa has no intention of bending the knee and effectively rules out the North as being part of the Seven Kingdoms going forward. The two positions are totally incompatible.

Would it be plausible for MoD and Sansa to continue their uneasy truce? Surely in any conversations the three parties - MoD, Sansa and YKNJS - would need to put their cards on the table. NOW.

We think we know the ladies position but what about the not insignificant figure of YKNJS.

quote:

I am going to go out on a limb and leave Jon/Aegon out of the contest for the throne. He was raised by Ned Stark to value personal oaths and undying loyalty to them.

I agree about him and the Iron Throne. As you say:

quote:

Besides, Jon/Aegon never wanted to be King of the North, much less King of Westeros.

There is nothing in his character that would make him suddenly want to be King – that would be a ridiculous volte-face. Unless (and this is hopefully not the case) because he is actually the legitimate heir to the throne, he sees it as his duty to be the King. Of course he could then decide to abdicate in favour of the MoD.

quote:

I still think that he takes his oath as a member of the Knight’s Watch seriously - including foreswearing any title.

I don’t think this is true. He used his own death – at the hands of the Night’s Watch – to allow him to effectively walk away from his oath. I believe he actually said this, or words to that effect, in a previous episode.

But whether he wants to go back to the Night’s Watch (surely there is no longer a need for that organisation) or not, the simple fact is, he has to make a choice between Sansa and the MoD. For the two women to head off south together without there being any clarification of YKNJS’s position seems ludicrous. The position of YKNJS would also be absolutely central to any decision that Tormund and the Wildlings make as to their future.

Who does YKNJS back? The poor sod will end up cheesing-off either his aunt/former lover or former half-sister who he grew up with (and Arya who he is close to (remember her comment to him from episode 1 or 2 I mentioned previously) and Brann). For this to be swept into the background is just too much. The only way he could not upset one is to leave Westeros and become a goat-herder in Albania – but that isn’t going to happen.

You’ve suggested that:

quote:

But they won’t have a choice. Either they head south to fight Cersei or they wait for Cersei to head for Winterfell to claim the north. More violent conflict is heading their way one way or another. Sansa continuing to work with the MoD would be a massive gamble. If the MoD is successful – rather than failing – then what would Sansa have left? But as said, the preview of episode 4 indicates the truce still holds and the armies head south so…...

The brilliance of Game of Thrones has been the way the stories have inter-woven, with characters doing things that at least seem realistic. The fights and battles have been largely impressive but the real winner for me has been the politics, the diplomatic manoeuvrings, the whispers behind closed doors, the intrigue, the plotting, the treachery, the ever changing allegiances to suit circumstance*.

It might be my imagination but I believe the last season and the episodes so far this season have pointed to a shift in the MoD’s outlook. From a freer or slaves and a one woman campaign for justice for all, she is now about one thing; claiming the Iron Throne – and immolating those who get in her way is considered acceptable. Is she beginning to display just the steely determination she’s had all along or does she have a little of the mad king in her? In other words, is she the ‘heroine’ of the story or just another despot in the making?

So as she heads south I would like to see this behaviour continue and this lead to light-bulb moments for Tyrion and Varys – who suddenly realise that maybe she’s a bit of a cow after all.

But no predictions from me, just a fervent hope that, whoever ends up on the Iron Throne, what made Game of Thrones so compulsive viewing does not get lost in the last three episodes.

* and of course the beewwbs!

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/1/2019 12:51:38 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 3070
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/1/2019 2:58:59 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1
The only way he could not upset one is to leave Westeros and become a goat-herder in Albania – but that isn’t going to happen.

I disagree. There's significant work to be done on the wall and northern hinterlands, including resettlement of 'wildlings' into the northern reaches of the Seven Kingdoms (in the book, references to 'the gift' and other sparsely settled northern areas south of the wall-think Scotland) and identifying the source of the NK evil. By resuming his duties with the Ravens and taking up the unfinished business of 'the Black', he could extricate himself nicely from these competing-and mutually exclusive-calls for him. I think the northerners, having been ravaged by the undead forces broaching the wall would recognize the need to shore their borders and ensure stability in the north and forgive him the 'slight' of abdicating his erstwhile 'King of the North' moniker. This would also ensure a tidy conclusion to Sam / Gilly / Sam Jr. and the remaining wildlings-they have a job to do-rebuilding their 'country' after a series of devastating wars of depopulation.

quote:

It might be my imagination but I believe the last season and the episodes so far this season have pointed to a shift in the MoD’s outlook. From a freer or slaves and a one woman campaign for justice for all, she is now about one thing; claiming the Iron Throne – and immolating those who get in her way is considered acceptable. Is she beginning to display just the steely determination she’s had all along or does she have a little of the mad king in her? In other words, is she the ‘heroine’ of the story or just another despot in the making?

I agree. The rich and deep character development in this series is unparalleled in my opinion. Daenerys has 'matured' from a largely benevolent despot (who doesn't support freeing of slaves and uprooting of that whole way of Mereen life?) to being a more complex character. She's beset by feelings of entitlement and jealousy. Faced with a rival (and superior) birthright to her leadership claim, how will she respond? Will she go all 'messianic complex' nutjob, ala her lineage's wont or will she moderate and subsume her claims to govern for the masses, free slaves, establish equality blah blah blah. We're seeing some very human emotions from her that-like all things human-may not be all sunshine and flowers. Immolating families that disagree with your approach to governance is unlikely to win long-term favor. Does she continue down the path of draconian (ba-dump-bump!) leadership or does she soften her stance, win 'hearts and minds' and revert to benevolence and kindness? Honestly, it could go either way and it would make sense to do so.

quote:

* and of course the beewwbs!

Yes. Thank goodness others noticed the distinct lack of beewwbs in the last episode. Dragon fire? Sure. Siege warfare? Hacking and slashing? OK. Undead giants crushing the life out of upstart northerner figureheads? Yeah. Ice / Zombie Kings being shattered? Whatever. None of these also-ran subjects answer the most seminal [fnar fnar] question: When do we get to see more beewwbs?!?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3071
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/1/2019 4:29:50 PM   
Zorch

But what of the 3 Eyed Raven and the Azor Ahai prophecy? Surely not just plot foreshadowing?

It's Bran, short for Brandon, not like Bronn.

As for beewwbs, maybe Sansa will join the party (with Tyrion?). Will Ser Brienne take up with Jaime, breaking Tormund's heart?
Will Jon Snow find someone to replace Daenerys? Or will he continue the Targaryen tradition of incest that the Lannisters have infringed on? How far will Arya and Gendry (son of Robert Baratheon) go?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3072
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/1/2019 4:47:20 PM   
Zorch

Also I'm waiting for Arya to meet up with Ser Ilyn Payne.

Attachment (2)

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3073
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/1/2019 6:27:11 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1
The only way he could not upset one is to leave Westeros and become a goat-herder in Albania – but that isn’t going to happen.

I disagree. By resuming his duties with the Ravens and taking up the unfinished business of 'the Black', he could extricate himself nicely from these competing-and mutually exclusive-calls for him.

warspite1

But how likely would that be? He is looking at his auntie/lover and ex-step-sister and what remains of his 'family' going to war and destroying each other. If, as is likely, the MoD wins, that means his 'family' and his 'people' being murdered and subjugated. Is a Jon Snow Character (who has always tried to do the right thing) simply going to say: Ladies I wish you luck, may the best woman win, but regardless, I'm going to run away from the problem by spending my remaining years repairing, plastering and rendering "a small crack I've found in the wall. Now hand me that bit of 4be2, a hammer and a box of nails and I'll be on my way". He'll have to renew the vows he walked away from when he died and then be completely immune to any horrors that Sansa/the MoD impose on the other. Doesn't the continuation of the wall mean the Wildlings - by definition - have to be banished to the snows north of the wall (with winter in full swing)? What does Tormund and co feel about that? And how would Jon feel about effectively declaring war on Tormund after all they have been through and how much they owe each other?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3074
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/1/2019 7:34:56 PM   
Chickenboy

Well, Warspite1, you've identified any manner of possible outcomes and opined on what *won't* happen or what the crucial paradoxes / Hobson's choices are. So, without putting too fine a point on it, put yer money where your mouth is.

In addition to dumping over my thoughts on what Jon Snow / Sam / Gilly / Sam Jr. may wind up doing (I've gone on record), what specific outcome do you think most likely for Jon Snow? Not a wide list of selections, mind you-but your most likely outcome. C'mon mate. Show us you've got the minerals for it. Put up your predictions and place your wagers.

And no generalities either! No "I'll bet he boinks some cutie and is happy". Nuh-uh. Nope. We want names and numbers. And pictures wouldn't hurt either, of course.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3075
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/1/2019 8:20:17 PM   
bomccarthy

I don't think that Sansa will persist in her direct confrontation of Daenerys. Years of physical and emotional brutalization have fine-tuned her survival instincts. Moreover, she knows that the North no longer has the manpower or willpower to take on the dragons, which are recovering on Northern lands. Sansa learned from Littlefinger that submitting in the short time leads to rewards in the long term. I think her measured defiance to Daenerys during their private conversation was a form of testing the waters.

Sansa's personal history will also make her resistant to any future romantic attachments. So I don't expect to see Sansa even partially naked for the rest of the series. Besides, a certain corporate mouse might frown upon such a display just weeks before the new Jean Gray movie debuts.

As a side note, I felt kind of creepy watching Arya's and Gendry's romantic scene - as others elsewhere have commented, it was like watching my kid sister get naked.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3076
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/1/2019 8:33:06 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Well, Warspite1, you've identified any manner of possible outcomes and opined on what *won't* happen or what the crucial paradoxes / Hobson's choices are. So, without putting too fine a point on it, put yer money where your mouth is.

In addition to dumping over my thoughts on what Jon Snow / Sam / Gilly / Sam Jr. may wind up doing (I've gone on record), what specific outcome do you think most likely for Jon Snow? Not a wide list of selections, mind you-but your most likely outcome. C'mon mate. Show us you've got the minerals for it. Put up your predictions and place your wagers.

And no generalities either! No "I'll bet he boinks some cutie and is happy". Nuh-uh. Nope. We want names and numbers. And pictures wouldn't hurt either, of course.
warspite1

Well t'was only a debate.

But here is the latest hot off the presses (don't tell anyone as it's a secret).

Jon will not go find himself on the wall, brushing up on his DIY skills, instead Jon will have to make a choice. Either he sides with MoD, and Arya kills him for betraying the North and 'the family' or he sides with Sansa and MoD turns him into toast. If I have to plump for one then, given YKNJS's character then it has to be he sides with Sansa - and is killed by his auntie who grows more deranged by the second and at this juncture is as mad as a balloon.

It's sad really because just before MoD goes full postal on him, YNKJS had just found himself a nice cutie to get up close and personal with - and they were going to live their lives happily ever after on Pike. Sadly I don't have the pictures at present but we are talking beewwbs!

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/1/2019 8:34:34 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3077
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/1/2019 9:32:43 PM   
bomccarthy

quote:

Sadly, I think we will see no more of Ilyn Payne. The actor who portrayed him, Wilko Johnson, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2013. Although he was successfully treated, his deteriorating health ended his acting career. Ironically for a character whose tongue was cut out, the real life Wilko Johnson had been the vocalist/guitarist for Dr Feelgood and a leader in 70s British punk rock. Search him on Youtube for some performances.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3078
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/1/2019 10:07:41 PM   
bomccarthy

quote:

quote:

I agree. The rich and deep character development in this series is unparalleled in my opinion. Daenerys has 'matured' from a largely benevolent despot (who doesn't support freeing of slaves and uprooting of that whole way of Mereen life?) to being a more complex character. She's beset by feelings of entitlement and jealousy. Faced with a rival (and superior) birthright to her leadership claim, how will she respond? Will she go all 'messianic complex' nutjob, ala her lineage's wont or will she moderate and subsume her claims to govern for the masses, free slaves, establish equality blah blah blah. We're seeing some very human emotions from her that-like all things human-may not be all sunshine and flowers. Immolating families that disagree with your approach to governance is unlikely to win long-term favor. Does she continue down the path of draconian (ba-dump-bump!) leadership or does she soften her stance, win 'hearts and minds' and revert to benevolence and kindness? Honestly, it could go either way and it would make sense to do so.

The character trajectory of Daenerys seems to follow that of the tragic hero. She starts with the best of intentions, but certain circumstances bring out deep-seated flaws that slowly derail her towards the dark side. In a certain sense she is Westeros' Michael Corleone. Had either Sir Barristan Selmy or Sir Jorah Mormont lived long enough, I could almost see her quietly asking them if in the course of trying to protect the "family" (Westeros) one could lose their "famiglia" (the people).

Of course, the creative team could take this arc all the way - Daenerys wipes out all of her obvious enemies (Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion, Sansa, Arya, all of the still living lords of Westeros) and seizes the Iron Throne. But she also believes that Jon/Aegon betrayed her through his support of Sansa and orders Gray Worm to take Jon/Aegon "fishing". The last scene shows Daenerys sitting alone in the garden, contemplating how it all came to this.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3079
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/1/2019 10:44:34 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

Sadly, I think we will see no more of Ilyn Payne. The actor who portrayed him, Wilko Johnson, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2013. Although he was successfully treated, his deteriorating health ended his acting career. Ironically for a character whose tongue was cut out, the real life Wilko Johnson had been the vocalist/guitarist for Dr Feelgood and a leader in 70s British punk rock. Search him on Youtube for some performances.

The Showrunners of GoT have confirmed that Ser Ilyn is alive and well. Maybe he'll get to execute Euron?

(in reply to bomccarthy)
Post #: 3080
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/2/2019 10:42:27 AM   
Zorch

Some number crunching, as opposed to skull crunching, on the Battle of Winterfell. Spoilers, of course!
https://www.cnet.com/news/game-of-thrones-battle-of-winterfell-mvp-statistical-analysis-arya-stark-tormund-brienne-theon-jon-snow/

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3081
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/2/2019 3:42:30 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Some number crunching, as opposed to skull crunching, on the Battle of Winterfell. Spoilers, of course!
https://www.cnet.com/news/game-of-thrones-battle-of-winterfell-mvp-statistical-analysis-arya-stark-tormund-brienne-theon-jon-snow/

Excellent KPM documentation, Zilch. Thanks for sharing.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3082
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/2/2019 5:48:22 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

Excellent KPM documentation, Zilch. Thanks for sharing.

Too bad we don't have this for Agincourt or Cannae.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3083
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/2/2019 6:08:48 PM   
AcePylut

quote:

Great minds think alike (but so do not-so-great ones).

Jaime will be the one to kill Cersei. Unless she does a Cleopatra.

The Hound and the Mountain will kill each other.

IMHO - Bronn is going to kill Jamie. Arya is going to take Jamie's face. Arya is going to kill Cersei while wearing Jamie's face.

Two birds killed with one stone... The birds being the prophecy that Cersei will die by her younger brother, and the other bird is that Arya strikes Cersei off her kill list.

The BIGGEST mystery I want resolve - What did the "voice" say to Varys when he got his nuggets snipped?

You know, if Varys, Theon, and Grey Worm were a superhero group, they'd be called the Ex-Men.

< Message edited by AcePylut -- 5/2/2019 6:30:26 PM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3084
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/2/2019 6:12:11 PM   
AcePylut

The big secret is going to be the return of Dario Naarharis. I'll bet money that he shows up as second in command of the Golden Company, offs the Captain at an opportune time, and gives the soldiers to Dany.

Poof there goes Cersei's army.

The Hound and Mtn will fight, and the Hound will die. When that happens, Arya loses it, stabs the Mtn in the back with her dagger and kills the Mtn.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3085
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/2/2019 6:22:18 PM   
AcePylut

quote:

LOLOLOL

And I think they have a service rating of 4.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3086
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/2/2019 6:41:32 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AcePylut
I'll bet money that he shows up as second in command of the Golden Company, offs the Captain at an opportune time, and gives the soldiers to Dany.

OK. I'll take that bet.

Shall we solidify specifics and amount of the wager offline?

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 3087
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/3/2019 5:35:23 PM   
Zorch

Another foreshadowed scene...
https://www.cnet.com/news/game-of-thrones-season-8-one-key-battle-of-winterfell-detail-you-missed/

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3088
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/5/2019 10:39:27 AM   
warspite1

Started watching The Handmaid's Tale on the off chance. I have to say this is very well done and well worth watching if you want to see a nightmare vision of the future......

Attachment (3)

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3089
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/6/2019 2:46:16 PM   
Lecivius

So many things about last night bummed me

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3090
Page:   <<   < prev  101 102 [103] 104 105   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  101 102 [103] 104 105   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI