Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  103 104 [105] 106 107   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/20/2019 11:51:40 PM   
bomccarthy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

SPOILERS ABOUND! BEWARE!

quote:

ORIGINAL: bomccarthy

So, if I were to make a prediction:

Daenerys gets Sansa’s acquiescence to lead what is left of the Northern armies and the Unsullied south, allying with the Tully forces at Riverrun (Jaime and Sansa convince Edmure Tully that it is in his best interest) to confront the Golden Company and Lannister army.

Close enough, although we didn't get to see the Tully inclusion in the last couple episodes. Northerners just *poof* kind of appeared.

quote:

A battle of some sort results, with the still recovering dragons making up for the lack of numbers to trigger a stalemate. One dragon is lost, which causes Daenerys to fly into a rage, literally, riding the last dragon (probably Drogon) in a futile and fatal attempt to win the day.

Close enough. One dragon was lost en route to the fight. Daenerys went batshit on the last dragon, but the attempt was not a futile one.

quote:

In the meantime, Jaime, Bronn, and the Hound slip into King’s Landing to assassinate Cersei (I seem to recall that a witch told teenage Cersei that she would die at the hands of a loved one). However, the plan does not pan out (of course), and Arya deals one or more of the death blows, maybe while wearing Walder Frey’s face.

Close. In hindsight, Cersei died in the arms of a loved one. Arya inexplicably drew down her bloodlust per the exhortations of the Hound.

quote:

Sansa assumes the Iron Throne and brings peace at last to the people Westeros, who in turn love their red-headed queen who decides never to marry but be “wedded” to her people.

The Three-Eyed Raven tells Lord Commander Targaryen and Maester Tarly that he has discovered the Night Queen of ancient legend, living in the far north with her White Walker children (donated by Craster and his daughter wives) ….

You missed this last part.

quote:

I am going to go out on a limb and leave Jon/Aegon out of the contest for the throne. He was raised by Ned Stark to value personal oaths and undying loyalty to them. I still think that he takes his oath as a member of the Knight’s Watch seriously - including foreswearing any title. He will look back on the example of Maester Aemon Targaryen, who kept his oath rather than exercise his own claim to the Iron Throne. Indeed, Maester Aemon may have secretly known who Jon/Aegon really was and revealed his own story as an example to be followed. Besides, Jon/Aegon never wanted to be King of the North, much less King of Westeros.

You nailed this as far as I'm concerned. The only prediction I saw that 'tied up' YKNJS with the Knight's Watch at the end. Good call what.

Overall, you gave me more credit than I deserved. I, along with almost every other viewer it seems, missed Daenerys' descent into "I have to purify King's Landing with fire in order to save it for future generations" madness. It's almost as if she began channeling Melisandre's disembodied spirit. Of course, once she's done it to King's Landing, she wants to purify every city in the world; now we're in Charlie Manson territory. I wonder how many scenes were left on the cutting room floor that could have helped us get there in the story.

At least Sansa got to be Mary, Queen of Scots.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3121
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/21/2019 3:21:45 AM   
Zorch

Speaking of which...Gilly has a GoT spinoff. She follows a charismatic bearded man who believes in some weird things. Kinda like Melisandre. There aren't any dragons, but there is human sacrifice.
It's called Charlie Says.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to bomccarthy)
Post #: 3122
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/21/2019 8:15:41 PM   
zakblood

the 12th man, a Norwegian war film, true story, very good

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3123
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/21/2019 11:05:36 PM   
bomccarthy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Speaking of which...Gilly has a GoT spinoff. She follows a charismatic bearded man who believes in some weird things. Kinda like Melisandre. There aren't any dragons, but there is human sacrifice.
It's called Charlie Says.

That might be interesting, although Hannah Murray doesn't really look like Leslie van Houten and Matt Smith is way too tall for Charlie.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3124
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/23/2019 2:12:20 AM   
Zorch

New this week, Catch-22 as a mini-series. Milo Minderbinder returns!

Attachment (2)

(in reply to bomccarthy)
Post #: 3125
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/23/2019 5:11:03 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Started watching Sky Atlantic's Chernobyl. I have to say this is a hugely watchable, gripping, serious drama. Five stars without a doubt. Well acted (excellent cast), an intelligent and well paced script (the subject matter is of course difficult to understand, but the writers make a great job of making the story work as a drama).

The corruptness, the blame culture, the fear culture prevalent in Soviet society is exposed. The rows of concrete blocks, the poor standard of living, everything seems so authentic.

warspite1

Episode 3 and this gritty, harrowing drama remains unremittingly grim - and compulsive viewing.

Attachment (2)

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3126
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/24/2019 8:37:32 PM   
Zorch

Bond 25 continues to have problems - Daniel Craig broke his ankle. Time for a younger Bond.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3127
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/26/2019 7:36:22 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Bond 25 continues to have problems - Daniel Craig broke his ankle. Time for a younger Bond.

warspite1

I say! The young lady second left appears to be sans brassiere. Goodness me - I said brassiere fnarr, fnarr.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3128
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/26/2019 7:44:09 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I say! The young lady second left appears to be sans brassiere. Goodness me - I said brassiere fnarr, fnarr.

Ana de Armas (of Bladerunner 2049) is a new character. As such, the odds of her being A)bedded by 007, and B)killed, are very high.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3129
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/27/2019 7:31:34 PM   
zakblood

just watched captain Marvel, and must admit, it's a good film, now looking forward to the last one, yes better late than never, but i'm always behind the times with film night

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3130
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/30/2019 5:05:09 PM   
warspite1

I got all 6 series of The Americans on dvd for my birthday. A great show. I felt the ending could have been a little more dramatic, but it was a quality production throughout.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3131
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/30/2019 6:22:17 PM   
loki100

Just read that Killing Eve 2 will be available on IPlayer from 8 June. Apparently they intend to release all the episodes at once, so that should lead to some serious binge watching.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3132
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/30/2019 6:34:11 PM   
zakblood

The Last Kingdom, lol again behind the times, but on catch up, and yes im late, but catching up, can only watch when i'm not so busy testing, so have a spare moment

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3133
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/30/2019 6:55:44 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

Just read that Killing Eve 2 will be available on IPlayer from 8 June. Apparently they intend to release all the episodes at once, so that should lead to some serious binge watching.
warspite1

I enjoyed the first series so I'm looking forward to this.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3134
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/4/2019 1:49:33 AM   
Zorch

RIP Paul Darrow of Blake's 7. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWHLU8fwi80

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3135
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/4/2019 4:36:41 AM   
terje439

After being tired of waiting for Amazon to let people in Europe watch Dr.Who, I might or might not have utilized some vpn and pretended to be a UK resident for an evening.

Enjoyed season 11, Jodie Whittaker does a really good job as the doctor, and my fear of a silly male sidekick were not realized.

If BBC would only actually send it on BBC Nordic for s12...

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3136
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/5/2019 12:21:57 AM   
AbwehrX

The Rise and Fall of the Japanese Empire 日本帝國的興衰
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TNt4CA9YMw

Japan's War in Colour | 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJLE2pnN9WY

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 3137
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/5/2019 6:12:11 AM   
warspite1

And so HBO's Chernobyl reached its conclusion last night. I have to say this is one of - it not the - best miniseries I've ever watched.

A story that needed to be told and it was - superbly. There was it seems, little of consequence that was dramatised or made up. The pace of the show was just right and the mix between scenes from the accident, the aftermath, the clear-up and then back to the accident and show trial was masterfully done.

I've seen all episodes (except last night's) twice and, after watching the last episode again, I am going to watch the entire series for the third time.

The accident was costly enough, how close the Soviets came to major humanitarian disaster (that would have affected at least Poland, Romania, and East Germany in addition to the Ukraine, Russia, Belarus and the Baltic States) is shockingly uncomfortable viewing, the reasons for the accident in the first place (not least a fault present in all Soviet RBMK reactors and was a known problem), the use of cheaper materials and the wrong materials to save money, the delayed and ineffective response showing a total lack of regard for human life, the 'volunteers' thrown in to sort out the mess and no records kept of their fate, the internal cover-up, the lies told to the world, the 'need' to protect the Soviet State and the malign presence of the KGB - like Roz from Monsters University (always watching), the human frailties (people under pressure to perform, the fear of failure - not the sole preserve of Soviet society of course, but made worse by the penalties for failure) its all here.

Do not miss this show!

Akimov: Houston, we have a problem!
Dyatlov: No, no we don't...

Legasov (Jared Harris - what a wonderful voice he has) explains, in terms that are sufficiently understandable, just what happened in the early hours of that April morning in 1986....

Relax, an RBMK reactor can't explode. It's just a fire on the roof....and if anyone says they've seen graphite on the ground they are lying....

Attachment (3)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/5/2019 7:05:00 AM >

(in reply to AbwehrX)
Post #: 3138
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/5/2019 4:24:05 PM   
Zorch

quote:

And so HBO's Chernobyl reached its conclusion last night. I have to say this is one of - it not the - best miniseries I've ever watched.

A story that needed to be told and it was - superbly. There was it seems, little of consequence that was dramatised or made up. The pace of the show was just right and the mix between scenes from the accident, the aftermath, the clear-up and then back to the accident and show trial was masterfully done.

I've seen all episodes (except last night's) twice and, after watching the last episode again, I am going to watch the entire series for the third time.

The accident was costly enough, how close the Soviets came to major humanitarian disaster (that would have affected at least Poland, Romania, and East Germany in addition to the Ukraine, Russia, Belarus and the Baltic States) is shockingly uncomfortable viewing, the reasons for the accident in the first place (not least a fault present in all Soviet RBMK reactors and was a known problem), the use of cheaper materials and the wrong materials to save money, the delayed and ineffective response showing a total lack of regard for human life, the 'volunteers' thrown in to sort out the mess and no records kept of their fate, the internal cover-up, the lies told to the world, the 'need' to protect the Soviet State and the malign presence of the KGB - like Roz from Monsters University (always watching), the human frailties (people under pressure to perform, the fear of failure - not the sole preserve of Soviet society of course, but made worse by the penalties for failure) its all here.

Do not miss this show!

Legasov (Jared Harris - what a wonderful voice he has) explains, in terms that are sufficiently understandable, just what happened in the early hours of that April morning in 1986....

Jared Harris has made a remarkable recovery after hanging himself in Mad Men.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3139
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/5/2019 4:28:57 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Do not miss this show!

warspite1

Is that his trademark 'thing' now? And no, that is not a colossal spoiler because we see him do that in the opening minutes of episode 1.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3140
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/5/2019 4:43:22 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

Do not miss this show!

warspite1

Is that his trademark 'thing' now? And no, that is not a colossal spoiler because we see him do that in the opening minutes of episode 1.

He has a long way to go to challenge Seannnn Beannnnn!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3141
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/5/2019 8:54:58 PM   
warspite1

How many times has Shhhaaauuunnn Beeeaaannn!!!! hung himself? I thought he tended to be shot, beheaded, stabbed, drowned etc etc.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3142
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/6/2019 1:14:59 AM   
Zorch

quote:

How many times has Shhhaaauuunnn Beeeaaannn!!!! hung himself? I thought he tended to be shot, beheaded, stabbed, drowned etc etc.

Sean has some room for growth in this area.

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by Zorch -- 6/6/2019 1:17:01 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3143
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/17/2019 6:23:57 PM   
zakblood

the french special forces film, 15 Minutes Of War

was very good, i enjoyed it, not sure about some parts of the ending, but overall very watchable and for a true story, makes for an interesting watch

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3144
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/17/2019 6:35:36 PM   
wodin

Not bad at all.

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

the 12th man, a Norwegian war film, true story, very good

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3145
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/17/2019 6:36:22 PM   
wodin

Will watch this

Thanks for heads up

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3146
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/17/2019 6:38:42 PM   
wodin

Disgusting how he was treated.

In fact beyond disgusting.

The man more than any other man may have won the War for us, at least shortened it and saved countless lives.

quote:

Finally got around to seeing The Imitation Game. Probably took a billion liberties with the truth - par for the course now - but as a film in its own right I thought was excellent. Benedict Cumberbatch produced a superb performance as the impossibly intelligent mathematician and all-round tortured genius that was Alan Turing. His death and what went before it is heart-breaking.

Charles Dance put in another seemingly effortless performance that stole the show every time he was in a scene. Not a huge fan of Keira Knightley - but she's certainly watchable in this film.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3147
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/20/2019 5:56:23 AM   
warspite1

Riviera 2 and Killing Eve 2 The former was watchable but not a series to get excited about. Nice shots of the French coast though. I hear there will be a third series which is pushing it somewhat...... The latter was good - although nowhere near the quality of the first.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3148
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/20/2019 10:28:12 AM   
rico21

You're right, too often second season is boring(The son, Barry, Marvel Runnaways...)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3149
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/29/2019 9:07:13 PM   
Orm

Completed season one of Delhi Crime. The only season so far. And I hope to see more seasons since it was a very interesting Crime Drama about the police in Dehli and their difficult task in such a large metropolis. The season follows how the police investigated the 2012 Delhi gang rape (the story made the Swedish news at the time).

The characters in the show was interesting and the actors played well. In my humble opinion that is. But mostly I enjoyed seeing how the police operated in India. The first two episodes were exceptional, but then it slowed on a little (maybe they should have made one episode less?). However, all in all a great show about a horrible true crime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delhi_Crime
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Delhi_gang_rape

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 3150
Page:   <<   < prev  103 104 [105] 106 107   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  103 104 [105] 106 107   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI