Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  116 117 [118] 119 120   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/13/2020 2:37:34 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Two excellent 3-part series about the Civil War

Downfall of a King

and

Killing of a King

I definitely should read more about this fascinating subject.

I presume that is the English Civil War which set things up for the Pilgrims to settle New England.

And all because they could not decide on the color for the rose . . .
warspite1

No. The Pilgrims began their voyages iirc around 20 years before the Civil War.

The English Civil War between Royalists and Parliamentarians was about 150+ years after the War of The Roses - although that was a sort of civil war. Charles I, Oliver Cromwell et al was nothing to do with the House of York (white rose) vs the Lancastrians (red rose) that saw the Tudors take control of England.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/13/2020 2:55:10 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3511
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/13/2020 4:25:54 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

Two excellent 3-part series about the Civil War

Downfall of a King

and

Killing of a King

I definitely should read more about this fascinating subject.

I presume that is the English Civil War which set things up for the Pilgrims to settle New England.

And all because they could not decide on the color for the rose . . .
warspite1

No. The Pilgrims began their voyages iirc around 20 years before the Civil War.

The English Civil War between Royalists and Parliamentarians was about 150+ years after the War of The Roses - although that was a sort of civil war. Charles I, Oliver Cromwell et al was nothing to do with the House of York (white rose) vs the Lancastrians (red rose) that saw the Tudors take control of England.

Thank you. I never did take English history.

The Pilgrims landed in 1620 at Plymouth Rock.

The Puritans is where the US Cavalry got its yellow scarf from, a symbol of Purity. That is where the song "Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'round the Oak Oak Tree." It is based on a true story of a returning Civil War veteran who spend three years in the POW prison at Andersonville, Georgia. There is a movie about that place.

quote:

I'll tell you how it happened. I read a story in Reader's Digest the night before. It was one of those human interest things. It was a half page. It was by Pete Hamil and it started off by saying "Here's a story I heard in a Greenwich Village pub that's been handed down through the ages about a soldier coming home from the Andersonville Prison during the Civil War and he told the stage coach driver that he had written a letter to his girl that he was coming home after being in the Confederate prison for 3 years. There was a big oak tree outside of town. If she wanted him to get off the stagecoach, put a handkerchief on it. He had told the story to the driver and a few other people on the stagecoach. He said he couldn't bear to look. When they got in front of the tree, it was all filled with handkerchiefs." It put a chill up my neck. The next morning I drove up to my partner's house and asked if I could tell him the story before we wrote a song. He didn't want to hear it. I insisted on it and he said "Well, tell it fast." So, I told it fast and he said "Larry, I just got a chill up my neck and my arm. A rush. Tell it again." So, I told it again. He said "I love that story, but handkerchiefs, they have snot in them. Disgusting." I said "Well, what can we do about that?" He said "Let's change handkerchiefs to ribbons. That's prettier." I said "I like that." And he said "Stagecoach...that's yesterday. Let's make it a bus." I said "I love it. What are we gonna call it, Irwin?" Irwin Lavine. To which the late, great Irwin Lavine replied "What do you think if we call it 'Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Ole Oak Tree'?" I looked at him and said "I think that's fantastic!" I picked up the guitar. I wrote the first verse and the chorus as if I knew it. Right off the bat it popped out of me, like I knew it like my name. And then I got to the end of the chorus. I'd written the verse and the chorus, all the words on a piece of yellow paper. At the time I'd gotten to the end of it, Irwin says "You didn't tell me you liked it, but I've got the second verse." I looked at him and said "Oh yeah? What is it?" He said "Write this down." So I wrote it down. He said "Sing it." So I sang the first verse, chorus, second verse, chorus. Irwin Levine says "I have the ending." I said "You're kidding. Let me hear it." Just disbelief. "Show me." He wrote the words and melody to the end of the song - "I can't believe I see..." We put it on a tape recorder, jumped up, listened to it one time and gave ourselves a powerful high-five. We both knew that it was fabulous and that's the story of how we wrote it. Not how we got it recorded, that was another story. Nobody wanted to hear it. We first played it for Ringo Starr. The people who listened for Ringo Starr put their hands on the guitar and said I should be ashamed of showing songs like this to people. It's ridiculous about a ribbon in a tree. We should be ashamed of ourselves. It could ruin us and to never show this song to anybody again. The guy's name was Al Steckler. He was the head of A&R for Apple Records in New York.

http://www.classicbands.com/LRussellBrownInterview.html

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3512
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/13/2020 6:35:59 PM   
warspite1

For some relaxation I've started to watch Band of Brothers again. Haven't seen this since it first came out but it's even better (a couple of irritations nothwithstanding) than I recall.

What a truly wonderful piece of storytelling. Some fine acting performances too (strange seeing David Schwimmer as the bad guy but he carried it off). It's good to see some fine young British and Irish acting talent on display too; Scott, Warren, McAvoy, Pegg, Graham and of course Lewis - all of whom went on to bigger things.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/13/2020 7:44:59 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3513
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/13/2020 8:13:12 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

For some relaxation I've started to watch Band of Brothers again. Haven't seen this since it first came out but it's even better (a couple of irritations nothwithstanding) than I recall.

What a truly wonderful piece of storytelling. Some fine acting performances too (strange seeing David Schwimmer as the bad guy but he carried it off). It's good to see some fine young British and Irish acting talent on display too; Scott, Warren, McAvoy, Pegg, Graham and of course Lewis - all of whom went on to bigger things.

They even did the American accents pretty well too. Have you ever read the book?

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3514
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/14/2020 3:34:31 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

They even did the American accents pretty well too. Have you ever read the book?
warspite1

Yes, I find British and Irish actors and actresses are generally good at accents. Not sure why that would be. I seem to recall Bruce Willis deciding (upon being cast as Fallow in Bonfire of the Vanities) he couldn't be arsed to do an English accent and so didn't.....

No, I've never read the book. I should do really but there is always something else that needs attention first over and above this kind of tome

I suspect I will one day.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3515
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/14/2020 3:44:47 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Yes, I find British and Irish actors and actresses are generally good at accents. Not sure why that would be. I seem to recall Bruce Willis deciding (upon being cast as Fallow in Bonfire of the Vanities) he couldn't be arsed to do an English accent and so didn't.....

No, I've never read the book. I should do really but there is always something else that needs attention first over and above this kind of tome

I suspect I will one day.

Episode 5: "Crossroads" is one of my favorite episodes of any series. The focus on leadership, courage under fire and composure in the face of overwhelming odds just took my breath away. My jaw dropped when Winters came over the dike wall and found an entire SS company encamped there. And then another SS company spills into the fray about the time his reinforced platoon is able to engage. Fraught. Tense. Wonderfully done.

The rest of the series is good (although I prefer The Pacific) to very good.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3516
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/16/2020 9:25:44 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Just finished watching Normal People. No spoilers so will keep comments brief. I felt it didn't quite live up to its potential that I assumed it would after watching the first two episodes. But it was still worth watching. The two lead characters were very watchable. Happy to expand on this once you two have finished watching.

Well, just finished watching the series. My thought's on it are mixed. Will wait until loki100 has finished watching it before commenting further.

Best wishes,
Steve

Just finished it this evening.

Found the middle say #7-#9, a wee bit repetitive but watcheable. Really liked the way it ended up. Now some of that may be recognition of circumstances, small rural community, first in family at University, all sorts of alienation on both sides of the equation and so on.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3517
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/17/2020 7:17:11 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Just finished watching Normal People. No spoilers so will keep comments brief. I felt it didn't quite live up to its potential that I assumed it would after watching the first two episodes. But it was still worth watching. The two lead characters were very watchable. Happy to expand on this once you two have finished watching.

Well, just finished watching the series. My thought's on it are mixed. Will wait until loki100 has finished watching it before commenting further.

Best wishes,
Steve

Just finished it this evening.

Found the middle say #7-#9, a wee bit repetitive but watcheable. Really liked the way it ended up. Now some of that may be recognition of circumstances, small rural community, first in family at University, all sorts of alienation on both sides of the equation and so on.
warspite1

SPOILER ALERT FOR NORMAL PEOPLE

As said, I enjoyed the series and felt at the end it was worth watching. However a few things wrankled. The two leads appeared to be really likeable characters at the outset, but I wonder just how likeable Connell actually was - or maybe I just didn't understand his motivations....

I don't think they made clear enough (or I am a bit slow) that it was entirely his decision to conduct the relationship in secret. I think more should have been made of that. It would make Marianne's hurt over the prom more understandable. But perhaps the biggest gripe I have is about the break up after they get back together at Uni. Why did he not want to stay with her that summer? What was that all about? He soon latched on to someone new too. His actions didn't ring true for someone who is supposedly so in love with Marianne. I mean he effectively just said - out of the blue - I'm off.... really? Why? I didn't really get that.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3518
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/17/2020 9:34:05 AM   
loki100

quote:

As said, I enjoyed the series and felt at the end it was worth watching. However a few things wrankled. The two leads appeared to be really likeable characters at the outset, but I wonder just how likeable Connell actually was - or maybe I just didn't understand his motivations....

I don't think they made clear enough (or I am a bit slow) that it was entirely his decision to conduct the relationship in secret. I think more should have been made of that. It would make Marianne's hurt over the prom more understandable. But perhaps the biggest gripe I have is about the break up after they get back together at Uni. Why did he not want to stay with her that summer? What was that all about? He soon latched on to someone new too. His actions didn't ring true for someone who is supposedly so in love with Marianne. I mean he effectively just said - out of the blue - I'm off.... really? Why? I didn't really get that.

I think he ended up acknowledging some of that - a few times in the end he was clear that he added himself to the list of people who had hurt her?

The scene towards the end of episode 3 (the school prom) was telling, he'd asked out someone who was popular in his group (Marianne really not being so) and all of a sudden he's back in the centre of his peer group, so he traded what he knew was the right thing to (& his mum was brutally explicit about this) for social popularity?

I saw their breakup at the end of Year 1 at Uni as what I'd call hedgehog mating. They were both so scared of being hurt (& of hurting) that neither of them was being clear. So he didn't tell her that he actually needed somewhere to stay and if not with her then he'd have to go back to Carrickfergus for the summer - on the other hand she wouldn't do the obvious (to everyone else) thing and just ask him.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3519
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/17/2020 4:37:28 PM   
OldSarge

I've been binge watching the YahooTube channel Modern History TV, hosted by Jason Kingsley OBE where there are a number of interesting episodes on life in the medieval age. Quite nicely done! It blows the doors off anything on the inaptly named History Channel.

You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3520
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/19/2020 4:35:50 AM   
rommel222

Greetings to All,
Stuck at home so lot of time to see tv & internet movies
Watched the BBC/PBS 6 part series Baptiste on Masterpiece Mystery: (quite good & related to the BBC/Startz The Missing series 1 & 2)
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/shows/baptiste/#

Also watching Russian war films on their Afghanistan and Chechen conflicts along with Russian TV series on them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clruL5PwdiE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXo0ILflfYs&list=PLhlPirr8JOBRWr_8kYNFZsGEaJc2qL5MI&index=4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDu3-igDOUI&list=PLhlPirr8JOBRWr_8kYNFZsGEaJc2qL5MI&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0lWUpcQO24

Watched some war movies on the Iran-Iraq war made by each side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK1PUutdwCQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11pf588Rqbw

Found some interesting Turkish made war movies on their modern day anti-terrorist operations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTFWmDGm9QM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRihK_MHRhQ

(in reply to OldSarge)
Post #: 3521
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/19/2020 10:17:42 AM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

I think he ended up acknowledging some of that - a few times in the end he was clear that he added himself to the list of people who had hurt her?

The scene towards the end of episode 3 (the school prom) was telling, he'd asked out someone who was popular in his group (Marianne really not being so) and all of a sudden he's back in the centre of his peer group, so he traded what he knew was the right thing to (& his mum was brutally explicit about this) for social popularity?

I saw their breakup at the end of Year 1 at Uni as what I'd call hedgehog mating. They were both so scared of being hurt (& of hurting) that neither of them was being clear. So he didn't tell her that he actually needed somewhere to stay and if not with her then he'd have to go back to Carrickfergus for the summer - on the other hand she wouldn't do the obvious (to everyone else) thing and just ask him.

Ok. First off, let me say that I am not a big fan of Mills and Boon romances. Quite like the occasional ROM COM but remove the COM, even if you replace it with T&B, no not a fan.

Having said that, the cast were excellent despite two somewhat unsympathetic lead characters, and the cinematography was stylish albeit a tad self-indulgent.

The story was a bog-standard boy meets girl, boy screws up, girl goes stands in a field, boy and girl get together again and live happily till the end of book/film/tv series. It is the only main plot available. Nothing wrong with this. Mills and Boon have created an entire industry using the same plot endlessly recycled. Only the detailed variations in each step gives readers/watchers a semblance of a new story.

And there was nothing new in the story. We had Monica and Chandler, Racheal and Ross, Beavis and .... well perhaps not that one.

The main flaw of Normal People is the DeepAndMeaningfulization of the series. DeepAndMeaningfulization was responsible for turning Death Takes a Holiday into Meet Joe Black. And note, Meet Joe Black was a three plus hour film. When directors go for deep and meaningful, the running time always suffers.

And we were left in no doubt that Normal People was deep and meaningful. We had a deep and meaningful cup of tea, deep and meaningful brushing of teeth, and a deep and meaningful extension of a six part story told in twelve episodes. With no humour. Nothing the lighten the mood. Twelve episodes of non-stop, relentless, deep and meaningful. It desperately needed a lighter touch.

Thank God the aliens attack in series four. Not that I shall be watching.

I have mixed feelings about the series. Did I dislike it or hate it with a passion?

As I said, not a fan of romances.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3522
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/21/2020 6:08:28 PM   
Kuokkanen

Been watching Angry Video Game Nerd. A must see for anyone who thinks old games are better than new ones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut3n8-9JM5o&list=PLbQ-gSLYQEc4mnWapHJd0K-sPvLcEwOSS

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3523
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/23/2020 4:56:57 AM   
warspite1

Started re-watching Game of Thrones. Still remains a quality piece of TV (although I haven't got to Series 8 yet)...

Just starting on Series 3 and Lord Bolton's B****** son has just made his presence known.... this I recall, is going to be harrowing.

Psycho from hell or just mis-understood?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/23/2020 4:57:08 AM >

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 3524
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/24/2020 10:22:06 PM   
bomccarthy

quote:

Started re-watching Game of Thrones. Still remains a quality piece of TV (although I haven't got to Series 8 yet)...

Just starting on Series 3 and Lord Bolton's B****** son has just made his presence known.... this I recall, is going to be harrowing.

Probably the most memorable line from a tv show or film in the past 20 years: "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention."

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3525
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/26/2020 2:38:37 AM   
Jason96

Recently finished the Military History: The Definitive Visual Guide to the Objects of Warfare
I'm a big fan of military history, and this funny book, also a visual guide and military museum, helps those military guys to have a fully understand of the history of weapons, from the siege towers and catapults used by ancient invaders, to the unmanned drones, nuclear submarines, ships, tanks employed by nowadays military force. Besides, it comes with a large collection of detailed photos of armor weapons, uniforms, vehicles, medals, and so on.
The mastering of superior technology has always played a dominant role in determining the defeat and success of an army.So if you happen to be one of those military gear lovers, or weapon history fans, this book may take you on an adventure through warfare of all times.

< Message edited by Jason96 -- 5/26/2020 2:39:22 AM >

(in reply to bomccarthy)
Post #: 3526
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/26/2020 5:08:29 AM   
nicwb

An account and analysis of the Battle of Arras on youtube given by the director of the Tank museum. A bit light on details of the battle but gives a lot of interesting info about how ill-prepared for war Germany was in 1939, how the allies reacted, why Arras was important despite it being a tactical defeat and how the Germans talked themselves into making it a something of a strategic loss.

(in reply to Jason96)
Post #: 3527
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/26/2020 4:59:37 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: bomccarthy

quote:

Probably the most memorable line from a tv show or film in the past 20 years: "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention."
warspite1

Can you imagine being in a hostage/captured type situation and being told that.....

(in reply to bomccarthy)
Post #: 3528
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/26/2020 6:37:35 PM   
johnsmith101

The quips between the 2 central characters makes this very entertaining!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3529
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/26/2020 8:53:33 PM   
bomccarthy

Classic early 60s parenting

"If the clothes from that dry cleaning bag are on the floor of my closet, you’re going to be a very sorry young lady!"

Attachment (1)

(in reply to johnsmith101)
Post #: 3530
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/26/2020 9:06:16 PM   
warspite1

Mary, Queen of Scots

Not a bad film at all

Attachment (1)

(in reply to bomccarthy)
Post #: 3531
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/27/2020 2:32:49 AM   
nicwb

I suppose I'm best off asking an Englishman -Warspite has England had any other sovereign than Elizabeth I ? As far as I can tell not according to Hollywood film makers ? Not that I begrudge either actor mentioned above but surely someone could put together a movie about some other English sovereign?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3532
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/27/2020 5:16:12 AM   
warspite1

Well I'm not a film buff and I don't really know what would be considered 'Hollywood' as opposed to a.n.other but yes, there have been quite a few films about British monarchs other than Elizabeth I - although I'd have to say the film in question was more about Mary than Elizabeth.

There was a recent Oscar winner - The Favourite - about Queen Anne
There was The Madness of King George - King George III
There was a couple of Cate Blanchett films about Elizabeth I
The Kings Speech was about George VI
A Man for All Seasons was about Henry VIII (well probably Thomas More - but Henry figured heavily) There must be others with Henry VIII too - although usually centred on Anne Boleyn.
Then there is Elizabeth II in The Queen
Numerous Victoria films such as The Young Victoria, Mrs Brown etc
Didn't Kenneth Brannnaarrrggghhh do something about Henry V?
Then there is The Lost Prince which features George V and Mary (although is more about their son).

So I think, just off the top of my head, there have been a few. Probably not enough - what wonderful stories there are to be told - Charles I seems to be a glaring omission. But then if we wanted more such films its up to the British movie industry to get their fingers out of their behinds isn't it?

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/27/2020 5:17:21 AM >

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 3533
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/27/2020 6:47:51 AM   
nicwb

quote:

Well I'm not a film buff and I don't really know what would be considered 'Hollywood' as opposed to a.n.other but yes, there have been quite a few films about British monarchs other than Elizabeth I - although I'd have to say the film in question was more about Mary than Elizabeth.

A Man for All Seasons was about Henry VIII (well probably Thomas More - but Henry figured heavily) There must be others with Henry VIII too - although usually centred on Anne Boleyn.
Then there is The Lost Prince which features George V and Mary (although is more about their son).

So I think, just off the top of my head, there have been a few. Probably not enough - what wonderful stories there are to be told - Charles I seems to be a glaring omission. But then if we wanted more such films its up to the British movie industry to get their fingers out of their behinds isn't it?

Yes I know- I guess that's my gripe - in a comparison that "highly reliable source", Wikipedia lists some 21 films and TV series either about Elizabeth I or with her as a major character. But it seems like the producers seem to get fixated (maybe its cheaper just to rebuy unused Tudors sets and costumes?) After reading your list as I was reminded of The Lion in Winter -Henry II.

(Both Branagh and Olivier did Henry V. Charles I got a major part in Cromwell as I recall -Alec Guiness)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3534
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/27/2020 5:02:26 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: nicwb

quote:

Yes I know- I guess that's my gripe - in a comparison that "highly reliable source", Wikipedia lists some 21 films and TV series either about Elizabeth I or with her as a major character. But it seems like the producers seem to get fixated (maybe its cheaper just to rebuy unused Tudors sets and costumes?) After reading your list as I was reminded of The Lion in Winter -Henry II.

(Both Branagh and Olivier did Henry V. Charles I got a major part in Cromwell as I recall -Alec Guiness)
warspite1

Please spell Kenneth Brannaaarrggghhhh's name correctly

Its a real shame there has not been a decent Civil War film made. I wonder why that it is? Maybe that the guy who should have the audiences sympathy was arguably not a particularly sympathetic character and the winner that overcame him is equally not looked at with huge affection.

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 3535
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/27/2020 8:41:19 PM   
bomccarthy

quote:

Mary, Queen of Scots

Not a bad film at all

I guess you could say that she has quite a range as an actor

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3536
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/27/2020 8:46:52 PM   
warspite1

She does indeed have a great range as an actress

Attachment (1)

(in reply to bomccarthy)
Post #: 3537
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/27/2020 8:59:43 PM   
Zorch

quote:

She does indeed have a great range as an actress

She's very, very good at playing beautiful women.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3538
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/28/2020 11:15:28 AM   
nicwb

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: nicwb

quote:

warspite1

Please spell Kenneth Brannaaarrggghhhh's name correctly

Its a real shame there has not been a decent Civil War film made. I wonder why that it is? Maybe that the guy who should have the audiences sympathy was arguably not a particularly sympathetic character and the winner that overcame him is equally not looked at with huge affection.

"Brannnaarrrggghhh" ? is some local pronunciation I'm unaware of like Cholmondeley or St John ?

But there is a dearth of English Civil War films. Cromwell was a complex character alright. As for sympathy ? - um whatever you do don't mention him in Ireland. I saw a documentary where it was suggested some sort of rehabilitation of his name was out forward by a historian only to be told "It was too soon!"

Back in the 80's there was a TV serial with the Civil War as a backdrop -"By the Sword Divided" but apart from "Cromwell" -nothing much else.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3539
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 5/28/2020 1:38:56 PM   
Zorch

Kenneth Branagh's name is pronounced the same way as Sean Bean's is. With great emphasis.

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 3540
Page:   <<   < prev  116 117 [118] 119 120   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  116 117 [118] 119 120   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI