Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/8/2014 10:02:44 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

@Parusski,

Take a look at "XOM-B" by Jeremy Robinson. I do not read zombie books but I really liked what he does with this one.

Chuck

Thanks, just added to my wish list.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 1201
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/9/2014 5:26:44 AM   
barkman44

The Complete History of the Eastern Roman Empire.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 1202
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/9/2014 4:31:24 PM   
Jevhaddah

Jack Aubrey series, currently reading 'Post Captain'

The writing is very different from the 'Hornblower' series; less formal.

Good read though

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to barkman44)
Post #: 1203
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/15/2014 3:21:01 AM   
Kuokkanen

Ranks of Bronze

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 1204
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/15/2014 3:38:07 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Coming toward the end of The Scramble For Africa - Its been enjoyable, if sometimes quite difficult read. The book could really do with more maps as the author would be talking about places and regions and I really had no clue as to where they were.

I really feel I could do with reading this book again, but am itching to get started on The Sleepwalkers. As I understand it this is a Pro-German view of the events leading up to WWI. I am firmly of the view the Germans were more responsible than any other country for the war, and so am interested in reading events from "their side".

Ordering The Scramble For Africa now. I was close to ordering The Sleepwalkers as well but I decided to wait until I hear what you think of it.
warspite1

I know you have read some stuff previously on a similar topic. I think you will enjoy this. This book gives - in one volume - a really good insight into what happened, when and why during that 30-or-so year period at the end of the nineteenth century.

One of the many things I find extremely interesting is that, when people sneeringly talk today about Empires - and particularly the British Empire (probably because it was the largest) the view is usually one that Britain and other such empire powers, were a bunch of imperialists, desperate to grab colonies and territory - either at the expense of the indiginous population or a.n.other imperial power (or both) - chiefly for the sake of power and resources.

What is clear is that the truth was often nothing like as simple as that. Certainly many of Her Majesty's (Victoria) Governments (particularly under Gladstone) were anything but imperialists. Colonies often came about by accident, or in order to defend other territories or in order to $%^& off another power - Bismarck was very good at that game! And yes, even in order to civilise and better the lot of the native (Livingstone).

Few people today believe that Empires were right (i.e. imposing your will and rule onto people who probably don't want you there is fundamentally wrong) but as with most things in life, the truth is a lot more complicated than people like to think.

warspite1

Ormster I will let you know on The Sleepwalkers in due course. Almost finished Scramble - on the last section now, starting with the Germans in German Southwest Africa (modern day Namibia).

warspite1

First 100 pages in. Its clear where the author is going but that's fine. Its a very readable book and its good to get a deeper understanding of the background.

I would be interested if anyone knows of a good book covering Balkan history, the retrenchment of the Ottoman Empire etc.

warspite1

Finally getting to the end of Sleepwalkers! The middle section of the book was really quite a struggle and i almost gave up a number of times. Glad I didn't as the 3rd section is interesting (as was the 1st). Whilst reading I realised I have never actually read an actual account of the assassination, I.e. how many conspirators took part, what each did, the itinery of the Archduke, the actions the Archduke and his entourage took in response to the initial failed attack etc.

A couple more weeks and it should be finished.... But what next?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1205
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/15/2014 4:57:19 AM   
rhondabrwn

Just finished reading the entire Honor Harrington series :) Waiting for the next installment...

So, back to the Destroyermen series to finish it off

http://www.amazon.com/Into-Storm-Destroyermen-Book-I-ebook/dp/B001ANUOUM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1408075545&sr=8-3&keywords=Destroyermen

I'm up to Book 5 and experiencing a constant urge to fire up WiTP:AE and play a few turns. This is a great bit of alternative Earth drama and adventure. A fun read and lots of combat action.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1206
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/15/2014 6:40:32 AM   
Frido1207

Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident and the Illusion of Safety by Eric Schlosser.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 1207
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/15/2014 3:27:26 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

Just finished reading the entire Honor Harrington series :)

How many books? Are they any good?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 1208
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/15/2014 10:44:06 PM   
parusski

quote:

Just finished reading the entire Honor Harrington series :) Waiting for the next installment...

So, back to the Destroyermen series to finish it off

http://www.amazon.com/Into-Storm-Destroyermen-Book-I-ebook/dp/B001ANUOUM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1408075545&sr=8-3&keywords=Destroyermen

I'm up to Book 5 and experiencing a constant urge to fire up WiTP:AE and play a few turns. This is a great bit of alternative Earth drama and adventure. A fun read and lots of combat action.

I just acquired all the audio books in this series. It may be a little while till I get around to listening, since I have about 75 audio books I have yet to listen to.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 1209
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/16/2014 2:58:20 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

Just finished reading the entire Honor Harrington series :)

How many books? Are they any good?

A LOT though the basic story gets told in about 15 volumes and then there are some sub series that got started plus short story compilations that I haven't touched yet. Look at this

https://www.google.com/search?q=Honor+Harrington+books&rlz=2C1KAFB_enUS0537US0537&oq=Honor+Harrington+books&aqs=chrome..69i57.10299j0j8&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Are they good? Oh yes, great Sci Fi military fiction, lots of battles, plenty of technology, and the right mix of personalities, love interests and so forth. Start with "On Basilisk Station" which is available free from Baen books in all e-book formats.

Here is a link to their "free Library"... scroll down a bit and you will find On Basilisk Station and a free download link :) Enjoy! you'll be hooked on the series in no time!

http://www.baenebooks.com/c-1-free-library.aspx?sectionID=108

< Message edited by rhondabrwn -- 8/16/2014 3:59:49 AM >

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 1210
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/16/2014 3:40:50 AM   
Kuokkanen

I've got other books to read at the moment, but I'll keep Honor Harrington in mind. Thank you, Rhonda

MekWars

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 1211
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/16/2014 4:28:34 AM   
nelmsm1

I'd highly recommend the Honor Harrington books also. Once I read the first one I couldn't wait to get on to the next one.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 1212
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/16/2014 4:39:10 AM   
kentcol

Reading "Lords of the Sky" by Dan Hampton

(in reply to nelmsm1)
Post #: 1213
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/26/2014 5:30:57 PM   
warspite1

Finally(!) finished Sleepwalkers...

Three options for my next book: Lawrence In Arabia, Monty's Men or The Battle of Leyte Gulf..... Ah the agony of choice. If in doubt, go for the naval book

(in reply to kentcol)
Post #: 1214
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/30/2014 7:37:26 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Just pre-ordered this puppy Sadly won't be available until September but should be gooooood given the author!

warspite1

Two weeks to go!!! Can't wait for this.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1215
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/30/2014 7:45:16 AM   
Orm

quote:

Sleepwalkers has now made it to the top of books that I want to read. But every time I begin a new book I bypass it for some easier reading. But you made me buy the book so I will read it. It looks very interesting. But I also suspect that it is a heavy read.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1216
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/30/2014 7:53:31 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Sleepwalkers has now made it to the top of books that I want to read. But every time I begin a new book I bypass it for some easier reading. But you made me buy the book so I will read it. It looks very interesting. But I also suspect that it is a heavy read.
warspite1

It is heavy. As I said, I almost gave up a few times, but overall am pleased I did not.

Currently reading Monty's Men (I decided on that in the end over Leyte Gulf). I must say its a joy to read. It's just so nice to read something positive for once about the British Army in WWII.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1217
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/30/2014 5:27:55 PM   
wodin

@Warspite is it Seven Pillars of Wisdom? Found it rather heavy going if it is.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1218
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/30/2014 7:20:57 PM   
Greybriar

I am currently reading The Black Jacobins: Toussaint L'Ouverture and the San Domingo Revolution by C. L. R. James. It is very informative.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 1219
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/30/2014 7:25:15 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

@Warspite is it Seven Pillars of Wisdom? Found it rather heavy going if it is.
warspite1

Sorry wodin I don't understand the question.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 1220
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/30/2014 10:20:28 PM   
wodin

Doesn't matter then..Seven Pillars of Wisdom is by T H Lawrence it's his wartime biography\memoir. Thought it might have been that book.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1221
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/31/2014 4:48:30 AM   
warspite1

Ah - I think I see - if you are referring to post 1214, then no, the book is called Lawrence in Arabia.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 1222
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/31/2014 5:58:53 PM   
Orm

I just begun reading To End All Wars: A Story of Loyalty and Rebellion, 1914–1918 by Adam Hochschild

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1223
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/31/2014 6:14:27 PM   
KG Erwin

I just ordered Clay Blair's "Hitler's U-Boat War Volume 1:The Hunters 1939-42" from Amazon. It's a huge volume (800 pages!) but full of detail. I'd gotten it from the library a few years ago and was determined to add it to my collection. The price was right ($21.99 incl S&H) for the hardcover version w/dust jacket. I'm an old fashioned book collector, so this was a must. I may add Vol 2 at a later date.

Some of Blair's conclusions are controversial, but he put an extraordinary amount of factual research into these books.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 8/31/2014 7:25:16 PM >

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 1224
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/31/2014 7:34:59 PM   
warspite1

Been thinking about this one for some time now. The reviews on Amazon are not great - although all universally acknowledge the amount of research carried out by the author. I suspect I will buy at some point but not top of the list just yet.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 1225
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/31/2014 7:38:09 PM   
Zorch

As an alternative to reading books about U-boats, try http://www.uboat.net/ instead.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1226
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 8/31/2014 9:49:22 PM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

As an alternative to reading books about U-boats, try http://www.uboat.net/ instead.

I'm very familiar with this site.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 1227
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/1/2014 6:35:23 PM   
TulliusDetritus

End this depression now! by nobel laureate Paul Krugman.

But this was an aperitif. I was reading (and now will resume the aforementioned reading) The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money by John Maynard Keynes. Tough to swallow but I think everyone should read these *important* books.

And oh, there was another aperitif (which will be soon resumed ): Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway. Dropped the book to read Krugman 3 days ago (and dropped Keynes to read er... Krugman. Like the Russian dolls, you know) It was 8:35 am june 4 1942 when I dropped the book IIRC 1 hour and 55 minutes until the Dauntlesses appear so it's ok. Now seriously, the two authors seem about 100% right... Not really a miracle this battle. Lots of incompetence from the Japanese so fair play. And that's a myth destroyed. Refreshing.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 1228
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/1/2014 6:45:24 PM   
cantona2

Rethinking Military History by Jeremy Black

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 1229
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/1/2014 6:51:44 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

I just ordered Clay Blair's "Hitler's U-Boat War Volume 1:The Hunters 1939-42" from Amazon. It's a huge volume (800 pages!) but full of detail. I'd gotten it from the library a few years ago and was determined to add it to my collection. The price was right ($21.99 incl S&H) for the hardcover version w/dust jacket. I'm an old fashioned book collector, so this was a must. I may add Vol 2 at a later date.

Some of Blair's conclusions are controversial, but he put an extraordinary amount of factual research into these books.

I just added this one to my buy list.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 1230
Page:   <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI