Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/27/2012 10:17:43 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Is it the complete history of rome?
quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Theodor Mommsen's History of Rome, book IV (almost done with it and then book V)

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 151
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/27/2012 10:44:44 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

Is it the complete history of rome?
quote:

Theodor Mommsen's History of Rome, book IV (almost done with it and then book V)

Yes, the whole thing Books I, II, III, IV and V (in four volumes).

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 152
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/27/2012 10:46:04 PM   
TulliusDetritus

In fact it's just the history of the republic (and its end).

Post #: 153
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/28/2012 12:46:24 AM   
radic202

Just Finished Robopocalypse and it was a quick easy read. I enjoyed it just because it resembled in a way WWZ which I think to this day is the best damn Book I have ever read and I read at least 1 book per week (mostly fantasy novels though)

[image]
[/image]

The best I have read and only book I have read 4 times...........

[image][/image]

< Message edited by radic202 -- 6/28/2012 12:47:06 AM >

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!

Post #: 154
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/28/2012 12:30:28 PM   
fvianello

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Have you read any of his other stuff? I have read - and really enjoyed - Fatherland, Enigma, Pompeii and Archangel.

Fatherland was quite good...and the movie was visually intriguing.

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 155
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/28/2012 12:42:33 PM   
british exil

I read the books from Conn Iggulden. The Emperor series and the Ghengis Khan series were quite interesting.

I find the Robert Harris books on the Roman stories makes the day to day aspect of life in Rome more understandable.
Pompeji, Imperium and Lustrum.

Just got my D-Day book today,ordered about 8 weeks ago, so will spend a few days reading and looking at pictures and listening to the CD that belongs to the book. Had hoped to get it in time for the June landing days to read while it happened 68 years ago.

Mat

< Message edited by british exil -- 6/28/2012 5:37:04 PM >

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 156
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/28/2012 3:17:58 PM   
cpdeyoung

"The Gray Man" and "Ballistic" by Mark Greaney.

If you like Lee Child books, or the Bourne movies, you will enjoy Mr. Greaney's books. He has "On Target" in this series too, and I can't wait to read it.

This is really good stuff. Very competent single man against the world type stuff, and well done.

Chuck

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 157
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/28/2012 8:24:17 PM   
shunwick

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

I love this book.

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 158
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/28/2012 10:01:50 PM   
parusski

quote:

Mark Greaney.

I love Greaney's books. Court Gentry is one helluva hitman.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 159
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/28/2012 10:03:49 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

I love this book.

Really? I have considered this book in the past but passed on it. That good?

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 160
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/28/2012 10:34:23 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

I love this book.

Really? I have considered this book in the past but passed on it. That good?

Parusski,

Libraries are wonderful. Read a book without having to fork out the cash.

Generally, I do not like recommending music, books, or games. Everyone's taste is different. I like The Name of the Rose but it may or may not be for you. Sorry if I can't be more helpful than that.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 161
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/28/2012 10:43:44 PM   
parusski

shunwick, thanks for your recommendation. I don't mind buying any book, but if it turns out to be nothing more than a door stop I get annoyed. I will read it. Like I said, I have been hearing and reading about it...so it's time to read it.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 162
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/29/2012 12:23:24 AM   
Perturabo

The Ironclads of Cambrai - my favourite topic - tanks of WWI.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 163
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/29/2012 1:10:23 AM   
jwarrenw13

Moby Dick, by Herman Melville. At 58 I finally think I am old enough to appreciate it. A wonderful book. I'm 36% through it.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 164
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/29/2012 5:01:27 AM   
cpdeyoung

quote:

Moby Dick

I read it when I was 45, but I agree it takes maturity to appreciate the book. This book has an intimidating reputation, which probably means many read it later in life.

This is an important book, and accessible, but perhaps more accessible later. Don't put it off too long as it is well worth reading.

Chuck

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 165
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/29/2012 4:26:59 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: JW

Moby Dick, by Herman Melville. At 58 I finally think I am old enough to appreciate it. A wonderful book. I'm 36% through it.

Yes, you are old enough. I did not appreciate it till I re-read it recently.

By the way, what mathematical formula did you use to arrive at that 36% figure(unless you're reading on an eReader)???

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 166
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/29/2012 6:39:52 PM   
Perturabo

I think they are doing a big disservice to school kids by forcing them to read all these classics. Kids should read stuff more focused on entertainment so that they'd get hooked up on reading.

They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 167
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/29/2012 7:51:33 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

I think they are doing a big disservice to school kids by forcing them to read all these classics. Kids should read stuff more focused on entertainment so that they'd get hooked up on reading.

Indeed.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 168
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/29/2012 9:11:36 PM   
shunwick

quote:

Perturabo,

Spot on.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 169
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/29/2012 10:23:23 PM   
mikkey

Just reading Tameichi Hara: Japanese Destroyer Captain. Excellent book from the Japanese point of view.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 170
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/29/2012 10:23:27 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

I disagree. I'm very thankful that my teachers stimulated my thinking by having me read the classics. At the time I wish I could have completed my assignments in class by reading comic books but as I've grown older I've come to appreciate what I was "force fed" as a child. Thank you Mr. Levine (may he RIP) and all my other literature teachers!

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 171
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/29/2012 10:26:29 PM   
GaryChildress

I'm currently reading An Essay Concerning Human Understanding by John Locke for some online classes I'm taking. Fun stuff!

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 172
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/29/2012 10:37:44 PM   
Terminus

Reading Frost/Nixon.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 173
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/29/2012 11:46:08 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

I'm currently reading An Essay Concerning Human Understanding by John Locke for some online classes I'm taking. Fun stuff!

John Locke. I read that book like 10 years ago. I can't say I loved it. Rather obscure. But not as obscure as Kant LOL

Post #: 174
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/30/2012 12:59:30 AM   
Perturabo

quote:

quote:

I disagree. I'm very thankful that my teachers stimulated my thinking by having me read the classics. At the time I wish I could have completed my assignments in class by reading comic books but as I've grown older I've come to appreciate what I was "force fed" as a child.

In most of cases, forcing classics on kids doesn't result in stimulating their thinking but in making them hate reading books.
Also those classics that were written with teenagers in mind can be introduced in high school.
Notice, that since you'd prefer reading comic books, it means that you were already reading for enjoyment, so classics couldn't spoil reading for you. I also started reading from comics. Then I was reading adventure novels, western novels and war books, all before the school started to torture me with its mandatory readings.

< Message edited by Perturabo -- 6/30/2012 1:00:27 AM >

Post #: 175
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/30/2012 1:58:32 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

quote:

John Locke. I read that book like 10 years ago. I can't say I loved it. Rather obscure. But not as obscure as Kant LOL

Locke is actually pretty common sense stuff. It's relatively easy to follow his thought. It's been awhile for me but I remember Kant being obscure and Hegel being almost impossible! Locke's 2nd Treatise of Government is also relatively straightforward and clear to the modern reader from what I remember of it.

Post #: 176
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/30/2012 7:02:56 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

I disagree. I'm very thankful that my teachers stimulated my thinking by having me read the classics. At the time I wish I could have completed my assignments in class by reading comic books but as I've grown older I've come to appreciate what I was "force fed" as a child.

In most of cases, forcing classics on kids doesn't result in stimulating their thinking but in making them hate reading books.
Also those classics that were written with teenagers in mind can be introduced in high school.
Notice, that since you'd prefer reading comic books, it means that you were already reading for enjoyment, so classics couldn't spoil reading for you. I also started reading from comics. Then I was reading adventure novels, western novels and war books, all before the school started to torture me with its mandatory readings.
Warspite1

I have to say I agree with Perturabo on this. When I was a child I hated reading (unless it was about football or looking at my dad's WWII encyclopedias - but even that was for the pictures). As I grew older so I began to read a little more - but it was literally one book a year or something like that. When I had to read Pride and Prejudice and A Tale of Two Cities at school it was like torture.

I now read all the time - in fact the trouble is not enough time, and I have a big stack of books lined up waiting to be read as time is in such short supply. Having got to my age I now feel that I should read at least one Shakespeare and one Dickens before I drop off this mortal coil. But that is because I want to and feel equipped to give them a go; as a teenager? No way.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 177
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/30/2012 12:31:04 PM   
fodder

Reading "Battleship" The sinking of the Prince of Wales and the Repulse by Martin Middlebrook and Patrick Mahoney.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 178
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/30/2012 8:06:10 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: fodder

Reading "Battleship" The sinking of the Prince of Wales and the Repulse by Martin Middlebrook and Patrick Mahoney.
Warspite1

Good book isn't it?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 179
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/1/2012 3:18:06 AM   
fodder

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1
Warspite1

Good book isn't it?

Yeah it is. Not that far into it yet. The war has just begun. Learned a few interesting things already. Like the admiralty did not want to send the Prince of Wales to the far east. They wanted to send the R-class battleships. It was Churchill who insisted on sending POW. Can't figure out why they didn't attach Hermes to force G after Indomitable ran aground. It wasn't doing anything of importance and the two forces passed close enought to wave at one another. Other little tid bits like the Japanese shooting down a British hudson recon plane a full day before the war began or the invasion at Kota Bharu began 70 minutes before the attack on Pearl Harbor. Currently a number of reinforcements are heading toward Singapore. If Phillips only had waited two days, he would have had a much larger and effective fighting force.

Singapore has just been bombed!!!!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI