Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_SqzMyLemon_Canoerebel (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_SqzMyLemon_Canoerebel (A) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_SqzMyL... - 5/11/2012 12:07:35 PM   
obvert

:: The Elephant Vanishes ::
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Japanese Scenario 1 :: obvert vs Historiker

After many exchanges in each other's AARs Historiker proposed playing a slow paced game (2-3 turns per week) when his recent campaign as Allies came to a very early end. Even in those first turns I learned I will play an opponent who will offer some challenges for me from the beginning.

Torsten is the more experienced player, and from all I can determine through his AARs he will take some calculated and aggressive risks. To remain on schedule in the SRA and elsewhere I will have to be very thorough, organized and aggressive myself.

We decided on HRs fairly easily. I decided to open the doors to a few things Torsten suggested just to see what will occur. I agreed to allow 4E naval bombing below 10k. I don't think this will change the whole game, and I'm just curious how it will work. We also agreed to the Chinese Reservation so that if the Chinese collapse they can fall back and regroup, providing a more plausible game than a total annihilation of the KMT.

Perhaps the most interesting deviation from most HR sets is allowing non-base landings. This seems very plausible to me and might just give more options to each of us at various points in the game. Or we might end up with a few units completely disrupted and stuck in the jungle!

House Rules
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

FOW ON
advanced Weather OFF
Allied damage control ON
PDU ON
historical first turn OFF
Dec 7 surprise ON
reliable USN torps OFF
realistic R&D ON
no unit withdrawels OFF

combat reports ON
auto sub ops OFF
TF move radius ON
plane move radius ON
facilities expand OFF
auto upgrade ships and airgroups OFF
auto air and ground replacements OFF

turn cycle 1 TURN

No Night bombing at less than 50% moonlight
Max sweep at second best maneuver band.
No Strategic bombing in China by either side for the entire war.

PPs to be paid to change a restricted unit to an unrestricted command before marching accross a border.
Thai units can move into Burma and Malaya.
Chinese units can be given orders on the first turn.
A Chinese 'Reservation' in the central four cities until 1/44 should the rest of China collapse.

One CV portstrike on turn 1.
Allies can only give orders to existing TFs on turn 1. Force Z may be re-directed.
Invasions on hexes that don´t contain a dot or base are allowed.

No (other nation) Allied air or naval units in Russia are allowed, even if Russia is activated.

Currently I am about 2/3 finished with the first turn and I should be able to get the rest together by sometime later Saturday or early Sunday. I always forget just how much there is to get organized and moving. I'm sure there will be plenty I'll forget, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can from my recent start and do it better this time. More on that soon.

This AAR is currently OPEN to Torsten and will remain so until Saturday night. I'll post something when I send the turn saying when he is no longer allowed to stop in.

Sent out to various parts of the US on December 8, 1941.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 8/20/2017 1:57:49 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/11/2012 12:18:10 PM   
JocMeister

This one I will certainly follow. Will give you as much advice as I can without "shooting myself in the foot" (swedish saying)!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/11/2012 12:19:01 PM   
Historiker

Too sad I won't be able to read this AAR until I have forced your capitulation

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/11/2012 12:30:17 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

Hopefully we'll have to use another ship as the Missouri will be sitting at the bottom of the South China Sea and you'll be able to do flyovers with formations of P-80 Shooting Stars!

I look forward to the struggle!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 4
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/11/2012 12:32:09 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

This one I will certainly follow. Will give you as much advice as I can without "shooting myself in the foot" (swedish saying)!

Yes, keep your foot intact. You'll need it to begin stomping on me in our game soon.

I'll welcome any and all suggestions. Luckily this game will be well behind ours so nothing should cross over too much.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 5
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/11/2012 3:53:56 PM   
Historiker

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

Hopefully we'll have to use another ship as the Missouri will be sitting at the bottom of the South China Sea and you'll be able to do flyovers with formations of P-80 Shooting Stars!

I look forward to the struggle!

Yes, I'm really looking forward to this! I guess this will be a great match!

btw: What's the story behind the title?

< Message edited by Historiker -- 5/11/2012 3:54:44 PM >

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 6
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/11/2012 4:35:20 PM   
obvert

quote:

btw: What's the story behind the title?

I started titling my AARs for Japanese games based on the titles of books by my favorite Japanese writer, Haruki Murakami. He writes mostly novels, but in them there is a lot of the legacy of what happened in the war and in Manchuria especially. So for 'South of the Border, West of the Sun' I thought it not only worked but sounded right. So I've just kept on with it. I've picked one that came from the feeling I had during the last (or previous but current) game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elephant_Vanishes

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 7
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/11/2012 5:20:44 PM   
Historiker

I see. So I'll propably name my AAR "Ivory hunt"

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 8
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/11/2012 5:26:07 PM   
obvert

quote:

I see. So I'll propably name my AAR "Ivory hunt"

Love it!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 9
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/12/2012 10:37:05 PM   
obvert

The first turn is away!

No more visits from Torsten please.

I may not have time to run his return until tomorrow. Killing me, but it is the weekend and I have another turn in my box plus the GF waiting to watch a film.

Tomorrow it will begin for real.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 10
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/13/2012 12:46:33 AM   
ny59giants

I will look forward to see what lessons you have learned in your other game that you can apply here.

Big question - Where will the Empire be on 1 Jan '43?? India, China, Australia, South Pacific, Central Pacific, and Aleutians. Which is your main focus going to be??

Are you going to use the modified Pwhex files that impose stacking limits?? It will make China more of a challenge now and Burma/India later.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 11
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/13/2012 1:19:01 AM   
Historiker

Allright, I bid my farewell to this thread and won't be here again until I've forced you into submission.
I can't wait to achieve it

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 12
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/13/2012 2:15:04 PM   
obvert

Strategy and Tactics

Now the doors are open to begin discussions about the game itself. Firstly, I will not be as detailed in this AAR as with the Wild Sheep's Chase. I just don't have time. I'll do my best, but if the game takes off at some point past the 2-3 turns a day we've agreed on, I will struggle to post everything relevant. I will give more combat reports and try to keep the major events up to date.

This will be a chance to see what I've learned about the Japanese economy and force structure, research and production, as well as how to use the elements strategically and tactically.

The Opponent: Historiker (Torsten) appears to be fairly aggressive and experienced. He also has read a good portion of my posts, and maybe more than I realize. I'll attempt to use his aggressiveness against him. Also, I will vary what I've done before to keep him guessing, in direct missions and in more strategic planning and hopefully also in tactical style. I have some ideas to play with now.

If his style is aggressive, mine will be slow and methodical. I want to take care of my forces and units. The first punch of turn 1 should be a right hook, but for the next week there will only be jabs and feints unless other opportunities present themselves.

SRA and PI: The first turn will see most usual invasions with the secondary TFs at Samah speeded up toward Malaya with the quick surface forces available there in the magic TFs. No Mersing, no Singkawang on turn 1, not even Kuching or Miri. I'll hold and see where his forces are deployed, unload a lot of slow badly designed convoys and reload on fast transports. I may not have anything on Borneo for several days or a week.

The one incursion I'll make on turn 1 is to Sorong. This will become scouting base number 1 for this region. I want to see what's moving. Then will come Ternate and possibly Manado. I'll wait a few days to go for Mindanao until the US CAs and the other surface forces are located.

There will be a strong strike on the port at Minilla turn 1 with anything that will fly that far. Then a bunch of sweeps without bombing runs. Then more bombing once the P-40s get thin.

Para-drops will land on Luzon at Vigan and at that base one hex from Aparri with the small PA unit in it.

The Bataan Island invasion will be the one heading to Sorong.

Pacific: Wake will not go immediately. I'll unload and recompose the TFs to throw two ground units into it. Also, I'm VERY concerned about a CV strike in the Marshalls. I will evac all valuable shipping and even get the Claudes out. No sense trashing stuff when I know I can't stop an attack anyway. The Nells will remain, and could get a lucky shot in by flying low, so that's how I'll use them.

There will be no quick moves to The Solomons. I'll wait until the KB begins to come back that way.

The Guam invasion will unload and recompose its TF, then head to Truk on the way to Rabaul. The cover force of the 4 CAs will move to Truk to become a fast transport if the situation presents itself. If the Allied CVs come close, these are at least quick enough to get out of the way.

Pearl Harbor: Vanilla. Might go for day two, but with planes set on naval/port and the KB in an unusual position to the E of PH. I'll also sweep heavily in the morning phase, and any port strikes that go will be afternoon. Subs will be used to screen for the KB and a CL/DD will be detached as a SCTF. Then the KB will sprint back to support first the Wake invasion, then the Cent Pac and So Pac moves.

AOs will be sent to Marcus. Only the 4 19 knot ones with 4 DDs. They will wait and see if the coast is clear before a potential rendezvous near Wake.

China: This will NOT be my focus for this game, surprisingly. I've figure out that China can be defeated, but it doesn't necessarily need an all-out effort to be successful. I'd like to try a few other things instead. More info about the alternatives will come soon.

The IJA in China begins all out of whack, not at full strength and with low moral. Most units will rest for a week before doing anything. I'll begin buying up to 2E for bombing units, but won't commit the entire IJAAF here this time. I'll focus on clearing the South and East, then on Sian and Lanchow to take away the fuel. Changsha will come later. Nanning and Liuchow after that if possible.

The Economy: This time around I have a decent blueprint for where I'd like to go with research, production and ship building.

To build pools early all non-essential ships will be turned off. I also hope to accelerate ALL CVs. We'll see if this works.

Extra research will be put into the Tojo this time from the beginning. Also more into the Frank and several late-war models like the Ki-83 and the Sam especially. It's a travesty to have to keep using Zeros after 43, and I will try to get this plane VERY far forward with this investment. Hopefully up to a year ahead, but most likely more like 8-9 months. never been there, so not sure if I can pull it off. But I might as well try.

Less emphasis will be put on bomber types except for the IJNAF models, the Judy and the Grace.

I'll also toy with moving the jets up into 45. Not sure this will work either, or if it will matter with their service rating 5 and being that late. Just want to try them out, and I hope to last that long.

With China eating a lot of supply last time around I had to put a hold on certain expansions and even quickly repairing the Miri Oil. That will not occur this time around. China may get a boost occasionally, but setting up a good base in the SRA and in the Pacific will be the primary goal, plus any other minor offensive plans that take shape after the SRA is taken.

Looking forward to the game. Now for the replay of turn 1.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/13/2012 2:23:30 PM >

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 13
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/13/2012 6:08:18 PM   
JocMeister

From what I have seen of Torsten in his own AARs he looks really agressive! I think you should use that against him. Look weak and overextended in a given area. Perhaps a early invasion of Christmas Island or perhaps Suva/Pago Pago. See if you can lure him out and then smash him with the KB. If you can get his CV early it will allow you to expand rapidly without KB cover. Your tactic against me to grab stuff early was really effective. But I think you are wise to take it a little slower against Torsten. You were really agressive against me and had I been more experienced I think I could have made you bleed alot!

Are you playing for VPs? If so, perhaps try one of his own moves against him? A quick thrust to grab some VPs and/or destroy industry. India and Oz could be targets! If you move on either early on they are very week and your Zeroes rule the skies and the allied pools are empty.

Oh, and get Perth. Early on its vital. Atleast it was for me in the first three months!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 14
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/13/2012 7:07:14 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

From what I have seen of Torsten in his own AARs he looks really agressive! I think you should use that against him. Look weak and overextended in a given area. Perhaps a early invasion of Christmas Island or perhaps Suva/Pago Pago. See if you can lure him out and then smash him with the KB. If you can get his CV early it will allow you to expand rapidly without KB cover. Your tactic against me to grab stuff early was really effective. But I think you are wise to take it a little slower against Torsten. You were really agressive against me and had I been more experienced I think I could have made you bleed alot!

Are you playing for VPs? If so, perhaps try one of his own moves against him? A quick thrust to grab some VPs and/or destroy industry. India and Oz could be targets! If you move on either early on they are very week and your Zeroes rule the skies and the allied pools are empty.

Oh, and get Perth. Early on its vital. Atleast it was for me in the first three months!

It's great to see you on this side of things!

I agree, it's really going to be critical how I respond to him knowing he will want to mess up the schedule and has a lot of experience doing just that. A little quiet might make him wonder and expose some units in places he expects me to move.

We'll see soon! Report coming later.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 15
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/13/2012 7:13:19 PM   
JocMeister

Haha,

Have to watch my tongue a bit and don´t give away stuff the would hurt ME!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 16
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/13/2012 9:22:26 PM   
USSAmerica

Good luck, Obvert!

I have to second the opinion that Torsten is aggressive. He and I have been friends for a couple of years and played a Guadalcanal match before starting our May 1, 1942 campaign game. I'm sure you've seen what he did with the entire KB and Baby KB in the Coral Sea recently. ;)

I'll be reading both sides of this match, when I have the time, so I won't comment much, but you are also spot on that Torsten likes to read as many AAR's as he can to gain an understanding of his opponents. He's a fierce competitor, but a super guy, who is quite reasonable about negotiating things along the way. He play to win, but mostly to have fun.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 17
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/13/2012 9:48:40 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

Good luck, Obvert!

I have to second the opinion that Torsten is aggressive. He and I have been friends for a couple of years and played a Guadalcanal match before starting our May 1, 1942 campaign game. I'm sure you've seen what he did with the entire KB and Baby KB in the Coral Sea recently. ;)

I'll be reading both sides of this match, when I have the time, so I won't comment much, but you are also spot on that Torsten likes to read as many AAR's as he can to gain an understanding of his opponents. He's a fierce competitor, but a super guy, who is quite reasonable about negotiating things along the way. He play to win, but mostly to have fun.

Thanks for stopping in! I'll try to give him something back once in a while.

Torsten has been great to negotiate with so far, but also full of playful bravado. He's let me know what I'm in for more than once! I'll be on my toes for sure, at least when I'm not flat on my face.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 18
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/15/2012 7:34:20 AM   
obvert

7 Dec 1941

Not a bad day 1. I'm always concerned I'll forget something critical, (and I did forget to change one preset attack, but nothing catastrophic). Turn 2 will really be the more critical as the Allies have more of a chance to respond.

subs: Ha-14 sneaks into Pearl and hits the Maryland with one small torpedo. All other minis die miserably.

Pacific: The strike at Pearl went about as expected. One BB, the Oklahoma, goes down during the day. Several others are badly damaged. Not a terrible strike on the airfield, but not great either.

Strangely, one Kate group flew in later than the rest of the strike. I haven't seen that before. Losses were't too bad, and only 4 pilots KIA on the day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Pearl Harbor , at 180,107

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 108 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 35 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 90
B5N2 Kate x 117
D3A1 Val x 135

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 5 damaged
A6M2 Zero: 2 destroyed by flak
B5N2 Kate: 5 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed by flak
D3A1 Val: 1 damaged
D3A1 Val: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
P-36A Mohawk: 1 destroyed, 19 damaged
P-36A Mohawk: 1 destroyed on ground
PBY-5 Catalina: 93 damaged
PBY-5 Catalina: 5 destroyed on ground
B-17D Fortress: 17 damaged
B-17D Fortress: 2 destroyed on ground
B-18A Bolo: 27 damaged
B-18A Bolo: 1 destroyed on ground
B-17E Fortress: 19 damaged
A-20A Havoc: 12 damaged
A-20A Havoc: 1 destroyed on ground
P-40B Warhawk: 52 damaged
P-40B Warhawk: 5 destroyed on ground
R3D-2: 1 destroyed on ground
O-47A: 6 damaged
O-47A: 1 destroyed on ground
SBD-1 Dauntless: 33 damaged
SBD-1 Dauntless: 1 destroyed on ground
C-33: 1 damaged
C-33: 1 destroyed on ground
F4F-3 Wildcat: 1 damaged
OS2U-3 Kingfisher: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
CM Oglala, Bomb hits 1, on fire
BB Oklahoma, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
BB Arizona, Bomb hits 5, Torpedo hits 3, on fire
BB California, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 3, heavy fires
DD Bagley, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
BB Pennsylvania, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 3, on fire
BB Tennessee, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires
DM Montgomery, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
AV Wright, Bomb hits 1
AV Curtiss
BB Maryland, Bomb hits 7, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
CA San Francisco, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1
CL St. Louis, Bomb hits 1
BB West Virginia, Bomb hits 7, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
BB Nevada, Bomb hits 4
CL Helena, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Patterson, Torpedo hits 1
DD Monaghan, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
CL Raleigh, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DM Gamble, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Jarvis, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Downes, Bomb hits 1
AO Ramapo, Bomb hits 1
CL Phoenix, Bomb hits 1

Allied ground losses:
26 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Repair Shipyard hits 1
Airbase hits 15
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 59
Port hits 22
Port fuel hits 3
Port supply hits 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on Pearl Harbor , at 180,107

Raid detected at 88 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 37 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 39
B5N2 Kate x 27

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
BB Arizona, Bomb hits 2, on fire
CM Oglala, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
BB Maryland, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
BB Tennessee, Bomb hits 1, on fire
BB California, Bomb hits 1

Port hits 1
Port fuel hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
27 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 9000 feet
Port Attack: 1 x 800 kg AP Bomb

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm thinking a day 2 strike will be in order, but that he'll come out for me or create some other major disturbance. From reading my comments in other threads I'm sure Torsten will realize I'll put the KB planes on naval/port strike. What he doesn't know is where they'll come from or how they will be allocated.

I will sweep with two zero groups, so around 35 planes. Some Vals/Kates will be set to Pearl, others will be commander discretion for the port strikes just in case he runs some over to Lahaina or elsewhere. I'll lose some planes, but if he send out some SCTFs there is also the chance we could take out some CA/CL/DD.

All subs are forming a cordon around Pearl to wait for whatever comes.

Cent Pac: The Wake invasion is reforming and heading to Eniweitok. Subs are moving to positions that might give info if a CV TF comes toward Kweijalein.

I forgot to turn off the Nell strike at Wake and lost four of those, but somehow only two pilots KIA.

One invasion went to Tarawa. It will land tomorrow, then try to scurry NW to get out of the way of the CVs or surface threats.

So Pac: Nothing here yet. All TFs at Truk finished unloading and disbanded.

China: All units stood down to rest except those heading to Hong Kong and one at Pengpu hitting the Chinese unit there. Today 40 squads of Chinese infantry were destroyed. That's the goal!

Bombers hit Hong Kong ports and did some damage to the AKs there. They also damaged some planes and put 52 hits on the fields. More of the same tomorrow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Hong Kong , at 77,61

Raid detected at 32 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27b Nate x 7
Ki-44 Tojo x 6
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 12
Ki-51 Sonia x 24

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Walrus II: 5 damaged
Vildebeest III: 2 damaged

Allied Ships
xAK Hanyang, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAK Hinsang, Bomb hits 2, on fire
xAKL Yat Shing, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAK Haraldsvang, Bomb hits 1
xAK Hai Lee, Bomb hits 2
xAK Ming Sang, Bomb hits 1
xAK Munlock, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Airbase hits 9
Airbase supply hits 6
Runway hits 51
Port hits 2
Port fuel hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
24 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing from 8000 feet
Airfield Attack: 4 x 50 kg GP Bomb
12 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 8000 feet
Port Attack: 4 x 100 kg GP Bomb

Malaya: All TFs made it to Malaya unscathed and began unloading. Khota Bharu will get a DA tomorrow.

Nates performed well taking down numerous small strikes against our shipping. The only notable kills are 2 swordfish.

The bombing of Khota Bharu, Georgetown and Alor Star went well with no losses and quite a few aircraft destroyed. Tomorrow only defensive CAP missions and ASW will be flown, (unless I missed standing down a group that will fly to their deaths unescorted).

Netties are set just short of Singapore in case something ventures up to North Borneo or toward the Malayan landings.

DEI: A magic move TF went to Sorong which should fall tomorrow to a SNLF. This is the one scheduled for Bataan Island. Two xAKLs will continue to unload supply while all other ships will retreat North.

PI: At Manila a port strike did better than expected. Four subs are listed as sunk now, but many more were hit if the report is correct. It certainly looked in the replay like the damage shown in the report, and many of the hits were 800kg monsters as well. Happy about this one.

Morning Air attack on Manila , at 79,77

Raid detected at 109 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 38 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 90
G3M2 Nell x 36
G4M1 Betty x 81

Allied aircraft
P-26A x 4

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-26A: 3 destroyed

Allied Ships
SS Sailfish, Bomb hits 2
SS Saury, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
SS Seadragon, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
SS Pike, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk
AM Whippoorwill, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
AM Tanager, Bomb hits 1, on fire
PG Isabel, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
SS Searaven, Bomb hits 2, heavy damage
SS S-40, Bomb hits 2, heavy damage
SS Sealion, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk
AV Langley, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires
xAK Yu Sang, Bomb hits 1, on fire
PT-41, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
PG Tulsa, Bomb hits 1, on fire
SS Shark, Bomb hits 1
xAP President Madison, Bomb hits 1
SS Swordfish, Bomb hits 1
SS Salmon, Bomb hits 1
DD Pillsbury, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
AVD Childs, Bomb hits 1, on fire
SS Stingray, Bomb hits 1
SS Sargo, Bomb hits 1
SS Seawolf, Bomb hits 2
SS Tarpon, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
DD Peary, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
xAK Tantalus, Bomb hits 1, on fire
SS Porpoise, Bomb hits 1
SS Snapper, Bomb hits 1
AO Pecos, Bomb hits 2, on fire
xAP Rochambeau, Bomb hits 2
SS Perch, Bomb hits 1
SS S-37, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
SS Spearfish, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
AS Holland, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Allied ground losses:
11 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Repair Shipyard hits 2
Port hits 13
Port fuel hits 7

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 8000 feet
City Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
27 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 8000 feet
27 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 8000 feet
27 x G3M2 Nell bombing from 8000 feet
9 x G3M2 Nell bombing from 8000 feet
21 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 8000 feet
Port Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
4 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 8000 feet *
4 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 8000 feet *

CAP engaged:
6th PS PAAC with P-26A (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(4 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 1 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 37 minutes

Massive explosion on AVD Childs

Until Aparri and Vigan are set up with airfields sweeps will be limited.

Vigan was taken by para-assault, as was Tuguegarao, where the elite paratroopers nearly wiped out a PA battalion.

Ground combat at Tuguegarao (82,74)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 162 troops, 4 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 13

Defending force 491 troops, 6 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 24

Japanese adjusted assault: 9

Allied adjusted defense: 3

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Tuguegarao !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-)

Allied ground losses:
177 casualties reported
Squads: 7 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 13 destroyed, 0 disabled
Units retreated 1

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
Yokosuka 1st SNLF /1

Defending units:
3rd/12th PA Inf Battalion

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most interesting and potentially dangerous item of the day is a TF of 2 Allied ships that could be Boise (and Houston?) NW of Babeldaob. This is two hexes from where the Ryujo TF set up to bomb Cagayan (2 B-17s destroyed). A SCTF of two CAs with two DDs has been detached and will travel with the CV and her imbedded escort of 1 CA 3 DD toward the North and the HI where she will re-size groups and get some zeros. I'm not going to Takao to avoid the subs, but if this is Boise we'll see if the CV even makes it past tomorrow.

If these Allied ships are heading to Babeldaob for a raid, nothing should be there other than disbanded ships. The Sorong TF won't make it that far north by tomorrow, but could be in danger the following day.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/15/2012 7:35:29 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 19
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/15/2012 10:22:02 AM   
JocMeister

Agreed on the second strike! Only Maryland and WV with heavy damage. It looks like you couldn´t repeat the the success on your stike against me. I´m sure a second strike will take care of that.

Any sign of Force Z? You can bet he is going to try and wreck one of your landings somewhere with it!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 20
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/15/2012 10:31:13 AM   
Erkki

GL! I presume you have your economy planned all the way into 1944 already.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 21
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/15/2012 10:37:50 AM   
obvert

No sign of it yet. I have a gut feeling he'll shift it back through the Java Sea and around to the Celebes area or Balikpapan. Nothing vulnerable is there yet to hit. Only the heavily guarded Malaya invasions. Lots of Netties patrolling that area as well.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 22
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/15/2012 10:54:26 AM   
obvert

Hawaii

Here is a shot of where the KB will go tomorrow for a Day 2 strike in Hawaii. The Vals are set to 7 hex naval/port strike and the Kates to 9 hex naval/port strike with some dedicated to a PH strike. The wider circle represents the possible 8 hex strike limit of the Kates.

There are two sweeps toward PH and the rest of the zeros are on commander decision escort and 40% CAP. It'll be at 6 hexes, so within range of an attack from PH but with the fields damaged and most fighters likely set on CAP there, this should be sufficient, I hope!

If a lot of SCTFs come out, hopefully some will not make it back.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/15/2012 10:55:16 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 23
RE: The (KB) Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/15/2012 11:20:10 PM   
obvert

8 December 1941 - BLOODBATH

Here's to Torsten. He accomplished something I always thought might be possible, but that I hadn't seen. He went 'all-in' and took out the KB on day 2!!!

Looks like I chose a good title for the AAR anyway.

I don't have the report with me, as I rushed through the replay to send him the file tonight because he was itching to see it, and then had to rush out of work to get home.

To sum it up, the KB was engaged several times in the night after the detached SCTF of Abukuma and 2 DD was driven off following several battles. Three CLs gave Kaga a few 6" shells, and the IJN BBs and CAs did almost nothing in the battle. This TF chased the KB again but again it slipped away without major damage.

The KB gave a message that it was retreating to Truk, but it didn't get away that easily.

By daylight a more serious threat appeared. A TF with several CAs and BB Nevada engaged the KB and tore into the CVs. Again the BBs and CAs did next to nothing. No Long Loance hits in spite of engaging a slow TF with an old BB. By the end of the first round Kaga was burning and Soryu had taken a few hits.

After disengaging again, they hit a second time. This was worse and left Kaga with heavy damage and fires, Zuikaku with a few hits and Soryu struggling. Nevada also was burning quite a bit, but most of the Allied ships were relatively fine.

Then came air raids. Only 14 zeros flew CAP for the first and it scored several 1000lb hits on CVs. About 5 more air raids came through before any KB planes launched at surface forces. When they did it was one group at a time and although they did some damage, not enough. Kaga and Soryu sank mid-day.

In the afternoon not much else happened that I remember, or maybe I am blanking it out already now! All other CVs are afloat, but it will be tough to get them out of the mid-Pacific trailing the entire US fleet and several US CVs.

I forgot to say that an IJN sub put a torp into Enterprise, but she's only listed as 'on fire.'

Whew! It is good in a sense to get my ass handed to me like this. I've learned a lot in two days. I don't think I knew what the US fleet in 41 was capable of before this, but I surely do now!

Tomorrow I don't know if the IJN will have any of the KB left. It depends on who has ammunition after today's battles I think.

Hat's off to Torsten for this initiation.

Here is the email exchange between us and that will reveal something at least about where this will end up.

------------------------------------------------------

Well, during the night phase I thought I had it covered. Then just one more BIG surface TF came right at the KB. You certainly guessed correctly. I guessed right to an extent, but I didn't think you could send that much exactly where I was going.

Strangely I'm not crushed. This should be able to happen and I'm surprised it hasn't more often.

This is good for me. I've learned a lot. Not sure if I'll have any CVs left after tomorrow, but if you want to keep it going I'm game. See what would have happened if Nagumo was an idiot and stayed another day! A little bit of Midway but earlier.

Let me know what you think.

E

-------------------------------------------------------

I can't believe it worked as I thought...

I had several 2nd strikes against midway [PH?]. Each time, I didn't leave KB where it intially was. But I didn#t move her through the passage between Oahu and Laihana (or whatever), so I always moved her into the NE. So While I initally wanted to rescue my lovely CLs and the one almost undamaged BB, I then decided to go for it!
I called it "all in".

If you want to continue, I'm in. The game will likely not last after mid to end 43, but it'll be really different to the usual games :)

I am gratefull to have gotten exactly the opponent I expected: No quitter!

I would blame nobody to quit after hits, but you don#t!

So let's go on!

Cheers!
Torsten

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So that's where we are. At Midway, (or worse) on December 8!!!

This will change everything for the Japanese of course. I will have to think of how it will change things, and what to do about that.

All combat reports and some pics will come tomorrow. I have to get some rest now and try to stop seeing shells explode on CVs.

Even after such a nicely made circle, the Soryu couldn't get away.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/15/2012 11:21:27 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 24
RE: The (KB) Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/16/2012 3:55:54 AM   
Dan Nichols

Oops, looks like you found the buzz saw ----- the hard way.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 25
RE: The (KB) Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/16/2012 5:55:14 AM   
JocMeister

Wow! Simply wow!

I´m amazed he pulled that off. Simply brilliant. I tried getting your CVs with 3 or 4 DD taskforces and two PT forces. He manage to get a 22(?) knot old BB within gun range. Amazed and hats of to him! Perhaps this goes to show that there are risks involved in staying for that second or even third strike at PH that everybody does theese days. Atleast it will give the Jap players reason to pause before they choose to stay.

Kudos to you for not abandoning the game though! Didn´t expect you to but still!

So what does this mean then? I guess all your conquests will have to be under LBA now? I imidiately thought of India/China. I belive that is your only options. You can´t really move for SoPac/Oz in any meaningfull way without KB. Get the SRA quickly and begin to build up a solid defence there. Then do what you can in India or simply turtle up. He will come very early, perhaps mid 42 since he don´t have to worry about Pac/SoPac/Oz too much. He can use many troops bound to garrision thoose places to attack instead. I think the key would be too keep him out of the oilcentres and shippinglanes for as long as possible! So how to do that in the best way?

I guess you need to start planning mutual supporting airfields all around the map right away and get engineers in place ASAP. You have to make it really costly for him to get within LBA everywhere or this will be over quickly!

I guess all of this also will mean you are going to go through alot of airframes? Can your industry take it? I guess your Nells/Bettys will be crucial now? Increase factories perhaps? Can you "buy" back the airgroups lost on the carriers?

Will be very intresting to see how this plays out!

(in reply to Dan Nichols)
Post #: 26
RE: The (KB) Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/16/2012 9:32:18 AM   
obvert

The KB Vanishes

I don't have time to do much more than just show the combat report, but here also is a map of the scene. I'll come back later today with a blow by blow account.

Interestingly, and predictably, based on their poor performance during yesterday's battles, the IJN heavies, the 2 BB and two CA, still have more than half their ammunition left to them. My first inclination is to set them to fight a rear-guard action to try to escape with 1-3 CVs intact. I'm not sure if that is possible, but I'd love to hear thoughts on what options I have here. Even 2 CVs saved would make a huge difference in the coming months.

Okay. Here is the report.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Dec 08, 41
Invasion Support action off Kota Bharu (51,75)

19 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
CL Sendai
DD Uranami
PB Tatsumiya Maru
SC Ch 9
AK Sasako Maru
DD Ayanami

Japanese ground losses:
19 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

CL Sendai firing at FMSV Brigade
DD Uranami firing at FMSV Brigade
PB Tatsumiya Maru fired at enemy troops
SC Ch 9 fired at enemy troops
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 1,000 yards

Invasion Support action off Sorong (82,107)
Defensive Guns engage approaching landing force

2 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
PB Nanpo Maru
xAKL Hanakawa Maru

PB Nanpo Maru fired at enemy troops

TF 129 encounters mine field at Singapore (50,84)

Allied Ships
AM Toowoomba
AM Ballarat
ML No. 311
ML No. 310

17 mines cleared

Submarine attack near Tandjoengpinang at 50,85

Japanese Ships
SS I-121

Allied Ships
xAKL Tatung, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage

SS I-121 is sighted by xAKL Tatung
SS I-121 launches 2 torpedoes at xAKL Tatung

Submarine attack near Tandjoengpinang at 50,85

Japanese Ships
SS I-121

Allied Ships
TK Pinna, Torpedo hits 1

SS I-121 is sighted by TK Pinna
SS I-121 launches 2 torpedoes at TK Pinna

TF 299 encounters mine field at Bataan (78,77)

Allied Ships
AM Bittern
AM Finch

7 mines cleared

TF 300 encounters mine field at Bataan (78,77)

Allied Ships
AM Lark
AM Quail

13 mines cleared

TF 301 encounters mine field at Bataan (78,77)

Allied Ships
AM Whippoorwill, heavy damage
AM Tanager
PG Tulsa, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

19 mines cleared

Sub attack near Pearl Harbor at 181,107

Japanese Ships
SS I-9

Allied Ships
DD Case
CA Minneapolis
DD Mugford
DD Henley
DD Ralph Talbot

SS I-9 launches 2 torpedoes at DD Case
DD Case attacking submerged sub ....
DD Case cannot reach attack position over SS I-9
DD Case cannot establish contact with SS I-9
DD Henley fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Ralph Talbot fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Case fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Ralph Talbot attacking submerged sub ....
Escort abandons search for sub

Sub attack near Lahaina at 183,106

Japanese Ships
SS I-23

Allied Ships
CL Helena, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DD Conyngham
DD Tucker
DD Reid

SS I-23 launches 6 torpedoes at CL Helena
I-23 diving deep ....
DD Tucker fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Reid fails to find sub, continues to search...

Night Time Surface Combat, near Tandjoengselor at 68,92, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Nagara
DD Yukikaze
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Yamakaze
DD Kawakaze
DD Umikaze
DD Suzukaze
DD Shiokaze

Allied Ships
AVP Valk, Shell hits 11, and is sunk
PC Formalhaut, Shell hits 18, and is sunk
AG Albatros, Shell hits 6, and is sunk
AO TAN 1, Shell hits 3, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Improved night sighting under 85% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 85% moonlight: 11,000 yards
Range closes to 11,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 11,000 yards
Japanese open fire on surprised Allied ships at 11,000 yards
DD Shiokaze fires at AVP Valk at 11,000 yards
Range closes to 8,000 yards
CL Nagara engages AVP Valk at 8,000 yards
DD Tokitsukaze engages AVP Valk at 8,000 yards
DD Suzukaze engages AVP Valk at 8,000 yards
DD Kawakaze engages AO TAN 1 at 8,000 yards
DD Yamakaze engages AO TAN 1 at 8,000 yards
DD Tokitsukaze engages AVP Valk at 8,000 yards
DD Yukikaze engages AVP Valk at 8,000 yards
Range closes to 6,000 yards
DD Umikaze engages AVP Valk at 6,000 yards
AVP Valk sunk by DD Suzukaze at 6,000 yards
DD Umikaze engages PC Formalhaut at 6,000 yards
DD Yamakaze engages AO TAN 1 at 6,000 yards
Range closes to 3,000 yards
CL Nagara engages PC Formalhaut at 3,000 yards
AO TAN 1 sunk by DD Shiokaze at 3,000 yards
DD Shiokaze engages PC Formalhaut at 3,000 yards
DD Umikaze engages PC Formalhaut at 3,000 yards
Massive explosion on PC Formalhaut
DD Kawakaze engages PC Formalhaut at 3,000 yards
PC Formalhaut sunk by CL Nagara at 3,000 yards
DD Umikaze engages AG Albatros at 3,000 yards
CL Nagara engages AG Albatros at 3,000 yards
AG Albatros sunk by DD Suzukaze at 3,000 yards
AG Albatros sunk by DD Suzukaze at 3,000 yards
Combat ends with last Allied ship sunk...

ASW attack near Lahaina at 183,105

Japanese Ships
SS I-6

Allied Ships
DD Cassin
DD Litchfield

SS I-6 launches 2 torpedoes at DD Cassin
I-6 diving deep ....
DD Litchfield fails to find sub, continues to search...

Sub attack near Lahaina at 183,105

Japanese Ships
SS I-4

Allied Ships
DD Litchfield

SS I-4 launches 4 torpedoes at DD Litchfield
I-4 diving deep ....

Night Time Surface Combat, near Pearl Harbor at 183,104, Range 10,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Abukuma
DD Kagero, Shell hits 1
DD Shiranui, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
DD Selfridge
DD Phelps
DD Farragut, Shell hits 1
DD Dewey, Shell hits 1

CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 10,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 10,000 yards
Murayama, Seiroku crosses the 'T'
DD Shiranui engages DD Dewey at 10,000 yards
DD Farragut engages DD Shiranui at 10,000 yards
DD Phelps engages DD Kagero at 10,000 yards
DD Selfridge engages DD Kagero at 10,000 yards
Range closes to 7,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Dewey at 7,000 yards
DD Farragut engages DD Kagero at 7,000 yards
DD Phelps engages DD Kagero at 7,000 yards
DD Kagero engages DD Selfridge at 7,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Phelps at 7,000 yards
DD Farragut engages DD Shiranui at 7,000 yards
DD Phelps engages DD Kagero at 7,000 yards
DD Kagero engages DD Selfridge at 7,000 yards
Range increases to 8,000 yards
DD Shiranui engages DD Dewey at 8,000 yards
DD Farragut engages DD Shiranui at 8,000 yards
DD Phelps engages DD Kagero at 8,000 yards
DD Shiranui engages DD Selfridge at 8,000 yards
Range increases to 11,000 yards
DD Dewey engages DD Shiranui at 11,000 yards
DD Farragut engages DD Shiranui at 11,000 yards
DD Kagero engages DD Farragut at 11,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Selfridge at 11,000 yards
Task forces break off...

Night Time Surface Combat, near Tarakan at 67,91, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Nagara
DD Yukikaze
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Yamakaze
DD Kawakaze
DD Umikaze
DD Suzukaze
DD Shiokaze

Allied Ships
TK British Sailor, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk

Japanese Ships Reported to be Approaching!
Allied TF begins to get underway
Japanese launch Long Lance torpedoes at 11,000 yards before allies detect Japanese presence
CL Nagara launches Long Lance Torpedoes at TK British Sailor at 11,000 yards
TK British Sailor sunk by DD Kawakaze at 11,000 yards
TK British Sailor sunk by DD Kawakaze at 11,000 yards

Night Time Surface Combat, near Lahaina at 184,104, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CV Kaga, Shell hits 3
CV Hiryu
CV Soryu
CV Shokaku
CV Zuikaku
CV Akagi
BB Hiei
BB Kirishima
CA Tone
CA Chikuma
DD Akigumo
DD Isokaze
DD Urakaze
DD Hamakaze
DD Tanikaze
DD Arare
DD Kasumi

Allied Ships
CL Detroit, Shell hits 2
DD Cummings, Shell hits 1
DD Chew
DD Schley
DD Ward

CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 11,000 yards
Dawley, A.L. crosses the 'T'
CL Detroit engages CV Kaga at 11,000 yards
DD Ward engages CV Kaga at 11,000 yards
DD Schley engages CV Kaga at 11,000 yards
DD Cummings engages CV Kaga at 11,000 yards
DD Kasumi engages DD Ward at 11,000 yards
DD Ward engages DD Tanikaze at 11,000 yards
Range closes to 10,000 yards
CL Detroit engages CV Kaga at 10,000 yards
DD Ward engages CV Zuikaku at 10,000 yards
DD Tanikaze engages DD Schley at 10,000 yards
CL Detroit engages CV Soryu at 10,000 yards
DD Kasumi engages DD Cummings at 10,000 yards
DD Akigumo engages DD Cummings at 10,000 yards
CL Detroit engages CV Akagi at 10,000 yards
CL Detroit engages CV Zuikaku at 10,000 yards
DD Tanikaze engages DD Chew at 10,000 yards
CL Detroit engages CV Hiryu at 10,000 yards
CL Detroit engages BB Hiei at 10,000 yards
DD Cummings engages DD Kasumi at 10,000 yards
DD Cummings engages DD Arare at 10,000 yards
DD Urakaze engages DD Schley at 10,000 yards
CL Detroit engages CV Zuikaku at 10,000 yards
DD Kasumi engages DD Chew at 10,000 yards
DD Cummings engages DD Urakaze at 10,000 yards
CL Detroit engages CA Tone at 10,000 yards
DD Kasumi engages DD Cummings at 10,000 yards
DD Schley engages DD Arare at 10,000 yards
DD Isokaze engages DD Schley at 10,000 yards
DD Ward engages CV Zuikaku at 10,000 yards
DD Schley engages DD Arare at 10,000 yards
DD Arare engages DD Chew at 10,000 yards
DD Cummings engages CV Hiryu at 10,000 yards
DD Chew engages DD Arare at 10,000 yards
Japanese Task Force Manages to Escape
Task forces break off...

Night Time Surface Combat, near Lahaina at 184,104, Range 12,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CV Kaga
CV Hiryu
CV Soryu
CV Shokaku
CV Zuikaku
CV Akagi
BB Hiei
BB Kirishima
CA Tone
CA Chikuma
DD Akigumo
DD Isokaze
DD Urakaze
DD Hamakaze
DD Tanikaze
DD Arare
DD Kasumi

Allied Ships
DD Cassin
DD Allen
DD Litchfield

Japanese TF attempts to evade combat
Range increases to 12,000 yards...
Range increases to 12,000 yards...
Japanese Air Combat TF evades combat

Night Time Surface Combat, near Pearl Harbor at 182,104, Range 10,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Abukuma
DD Kagero
DD Shiranui

Allied Ships
DD Hull, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD MacDonough, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
DD Worden
DD Dale

Range closes to 10,000 yards...
Japanese open fire on surprised Allied ships at 10,000 yards
DD MacDonough sunk by CL Abukuma at 10,000 yards
CL Abukuma launches Long Lance Torpedoes at DD Worden at 10,000 yards
DD Shiranui fires at DD Hull at 10,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Hull at 7,000 yards
DD Shiranui engages DD Worden at 7,000 yards
DD Kagero engages DD Hull at 7,000 yards
Range closes to 5,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Hull at 5,000 yards
DD Shiranui engages DD Worden at 5,000 yards
DD Kagero engages DD Hull at 5,000 yards
Range closes to 4,000 yards
DD Hull engages DD Shiranui at 4,000 yards
DD Shiranui engages DD Hull at 4,000 yards
Range increases to 7,000 yards
DD Kagero engages DD Dale at 7,000 yards
DD Shiranui engages DD Worden at 7,000 yards
DD Kagero engages DD Hull at 7,000 yards
Range increases to 9,000 yards
DD Dale engages DD Kagero at 9,000 yards
DD Shiranui engages DD Worden at 9,000 yards
DD Kagero engages DD Hull at 9,000 yards
Task forces break off...

Night Time Surface Combat, near Lahaina at 184,104, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CV Kaga, Shell hits 4
CV Hiryu
CV Soryu
CV Shokaku
CV Zuikaku
CV Akagi
BB Hiei
BB Kirishima, Shell hits 1
CA Tone
CA Chikuma
DD Akigumo
DD Isokaze
DD Urakaze
DD Hamakaze
DD Tanikaze
DD Arare
DD Kasumi

Allied Ships
CL St. Louis
CL Phoenix
CL Honolulu, Shell hits 5
DD Conyngham
DD Shaw
DD Reid, Shell hits 1

CL Honolulu engages CV Kaga at 11,000 yards
CL St. Louis engages CV Kaga at 11,000 yards
DD Reid engages CV Kaga at 11,000 yards
CL Honolulu engages CV Hiryu at 11,000 yards
BB Kirishima engages CL Honolulu at 11,000 yards
DD Arare engages DD Reid at 11,000 yards
CL Phoenix engages CV Kaga at 11,000 yards
CL Honolulu engages CV Soryu at 11,000 yards
CL Honolulu engages CV Hiryu at 11,000 yards
CA Chikuma engages CL Honolulu at 11,000 yards
CA Tone engages CL Phoenix at 11,000 yards
DD Kasumi engages DD Reid at 11,000 yards
DD Reid engages DD Urakaze at 11,000 yards
Range increases to 12,000 yards
CL Honolulu engages CV Kaga at 12,000 yards
CL Phoenix engages CV Kaga at 12,000 yards
CL St. Louis engages CV Kaga at 12,000 yards
DD Reid engages DD Urakaze at 12,000 yards
DD Kasumi engages DD Shaw at 12,000 yards
CL Honolulu engages CV Kaga at 12,000 yards
BB Kirishima engages CL Honolulu at 12,000 yards
BB Hiei engages CL Honolulu at 12,000 yards
CA Chikuma engages CL Honolulu at 12,000 yards
Task forces break off...

Japanese Ships
CL Abukuma, Shell hits 1
DD Kagero
DD Shiranui, on fire

Allied Ships
DD Hull, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Worden
DD Dale

DD Shiranui engages DD Dale at 10,000 yards
DD Shiranui engages DD Hull at 10,000 yards
Range closes to 9,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Hull at 9,000 yards
DD Shiranui engages DD Worden at 9,000 yards
DD Worden engages DD Shiranui at 9,000 yards
DD Kagero engages DD Dale at 9,000 yards
Range increases to 10,000 yards
DD Dale engages DD Kagero at 10,000 yards
DD Worden engages DD Shiranui at 10,000 yards
DD Shiranui engages DD Hull at 10,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Dale at 12,000 yards
DD Hull engages DD Shiranui at 12,000 yards
DD Kagero engages DD Hull at 12,000 yards
Task forces break off...

Japanese Ships
CL Abukuma, Shell hits 4, on fire
DD Kagero, Shell hits 2, heavy fires
DD Shiranui, on fire

Allied Ships
CL St. Louis
CL Phoenix
CL Honolulu, Shell hits 1
DD Conyngham
DD Shaw
DD Reid

CL Honolulu engages CL Abukuma at 10,000 yards
CL Honolulu engages DD Shiranui at 10,000 yards
CL Honolulu engages DD Kagero at 10,000 yards
DD Shiranui engages DD Reid at 10,000 yards
DD Shaw engages DD Shiranui at 10,000 yards
DD Shiranui engages DD Conyngham at 10,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages CL Honolulu at 9,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages CL Phoenix at 9,000 yards
DD Kagero engages DD Shaw at 9,000 yards
DD Reid engages DD Shiranui at 9,000 yards
DD Kagero engages DD Shaw at 9,000 yards
DD Shiranui engages DD Conyngham at 9,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages CL Honolulu at 10,000 yards
CL Phoenix engages CL Abukuma at 10,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages CL St. Louis at 10,000 yards
DD Kagero engages DD Reid at 10,000 yards
DD Shiranui engages DD Shaw at 10,000 yards
DD Shiranui engages DD Conyngham at 10,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages CL Honolulu at 9,000 yards
DD Shiranui engages DD Reid at 9,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages CL St. Louis at 9,000 yards
DD Kagero engages DD Reid at 9,000 yards
DD Shaw engages DD Shiranui at 9,000 yards
DD Kagero engages DD Conyngham at 9,000 yards
Murayama, Seiroku orders Japanese TF to disengage
CL Honolulu engages CL Abukuma at 11,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages CL Phoenix at 11,000 yards
DD Reid engages DD Kagero at 11,000 yards
DD Shiranui engages DD Reid at 11,000 yards
DD Shaw engages DD Kagero at 11,000 yards
DD Kagero engages DD Conyngham at 11,000 yards
Task forces break off...

Night Time Surface Combat, near Pearl Harbor at 181,105, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Abukuma, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Kagero, Shell hits 1, heavy fires
DD Shiranui, on fire

Allied Ships
DD Hull, on fire
DD Worden
DD Dale

Rorschbach, A. crosses the 'T'
CL Abukuma engages DD Dale at 11,000 yards
DD Worden engages DD Shiranui at 11,000 yards
DD Kagero engages DD Hull at 11,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Hull at 11,000 yards
DD Shiranui engages DD Hull at 11,000 yards
DD Kagero engages DD Hull at 11,000 yards
DD Kagero engages DD Worden at 9,000 yards
DD Hull engages DD Kagero at 9,000 yards
DD Hull engages DD Kagero at 10,000 yards
DD Dale engages DD Kagero at 11,000 yards
DD Shiranui engages DD Hull at 11,000 yards
DD Kagero engages DD Worden at 11,000 yards
Task forces break off...

Sub attack near Pearl Harbor at 182,105

Japanese Ships
SS I-5

Allied Ships
PG Sacramento, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage

SS I-5 launches 2 torpedoes

Sub attack near Lahaina at 184,104

Japanese Ships
SS I-7

Allied Ships
DD Litchfield

SS I-7 launches 6 torpedoes at DD Litchfield
I-7 diving deep ....

Sub attack near Lahaina at 183,105

Japanese Ships
SS I-4

Allied Ships
AVD Thornton

SS I-4 launches 2 torpedoes
AVD Thornton fails to find sub, continues to search...

Sub attack near Lahaina at 183,106

Japanese Ships
SS I-23

Allied Ships
CL Helena, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Tucker

SS I-23 launches 6 torpedoes at CL Helena
I-23 diving deep ....
DD Tucker fails to find sub, continues to search...

Amphibious Assault at Tarawa (136,128)

TF 15 troops unloading over beach at Tarawa, 136,128

15 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
PB Tatsumiya Maru
SC Ch 9
AK Sasako Maru

1 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
PB Nanpo Maru
xAKL Hanakawa Maru

Day Time Surface Combat, near Pearl Harbor at 180,105, Range 15,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Abukuma, Shell hits 4

Allied Ships
DD Hull, Shell hits 1
DD Worden
DD Dale

Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions: 28,000 yards
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 21,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 21,000 yards
Range closes to 15,000 yards...
Murayama, Seiroku crosses the 'T'
CL Abukuma engages DD Worden at 15,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Hull at 15,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Dale at 8,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Hull at 8,000 yards
Range closes to 5,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Worden at 5,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Hull at 10,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Worden at 10,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Hull at 10,000 yards
Range increases to 15,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Dale at 15,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Hull at 15,000 yards
Murayama, Seiroku orders Japanese TF to disengage
Range increases to 19,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Dale at 19,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Worden at 19,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Hull at 19,000 yards
Range increases to 21,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Worden at 21,000 yards
Task forces break off...

Day Time Surface Combat, near Pearl Harbor at 179,105, Range 21,000 Yards

Japanese Ships

Allied Ships
DD Hull
DD Worden
DD Dale

CL Abukuma engages DD Dale at 21,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Hull at 21,000 yards
Range closes to 18,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Dale at 18,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Hull at 18,000 yards
Range closes to 16,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Dale at 16,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Worden at 16,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Hull at 16,000 yards
Range closes to 15,000 yards
Range closes to 11,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Dale at 11,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Hull at 11,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Worden at 7,000 yards
Range increases to 8,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Worden at 8,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Worden at 12,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Hull at 12,000 yards
Range increases to 17,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Dale at 17,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Hull at 17,000 yards
Task forces break off...

Day Time Surface Combat, near Lihue at 178,105, Range 21,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Abukuma, on fire

Allied Ships
DD Hull
DD Worden
DD Dale

Range increases to 21,000 yards...
Japanese Surface Combat TF evades combat

Day Time Surface Combat, near Lihue at 177,105, Range 21,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Abukuma, on fire

Allied Ships
DD Hull
DD Worden
DD Dale

Range increases to 21,000 yards...
Japanese Surface Combat TF evades combat

Day Time Surface Combat, near Niihau at 176,105, Range 17,000 Yards

Japanese Ships

Allied Ships
DD Hull
DD Worden
DD Dale

Range closes to 19,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 19,000 yards
Range closes to 17,000 yards...
Rorschbach, A. crosses the 'T'
CL Abukuma engages DD Worden at 17,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Worden at 17,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Hull at 17,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Dale at 16,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Hull at 16,000 yards
Range closes to 14,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Dale at 14,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Worden at 14,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Hull at 14,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Worden at 11,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Dale at 8,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Worden at 8,000 yards
Rorschbach, A. orders Allied TF to disengage
CL Abukuma engages DD Dale at 12,000 yards
Range increases to 18,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Dale at 18,000 yards
CL Abukuma engages DD Worden at 18,000 yards
Task forces break off...

7 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
PB Tatsumiya Maru
SC Ch 9
AK Sasako Maru

3 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
PB Nanpo Maru
xAKL Hanakawa Maru

TF 129 encounters mine field at Singapore (50,84)

Allied Ships
AM Toowoomba
AM Ballarat
ML No. 311

36 mines cleared

Day Time Surface Combat, near Lahaina at 184,104, Range 19,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CV Kaga, Shell hits 9, heavy fires, heavy damage
CV Hiryu, Shell hits 4, heavy fires
CV Soryu
CV Shokaku
CV Zuikaku, Shell hits 2, on fire
CV Akagi
BB Hiei, Shell hits 1
BB Kirishima, Shell hits 1
CA Tone
CA Chikuma
DD Akigumo
DD Isokaze, Shell hits 1
DD Urakaze, Shell hits 1
DD Hamakaze, Shell hits 6, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Tanikaze, Shell hits 1
DD Arare
DD Kasumi

Allied Ships
BB Nevada, Shell hits 12
CA New Orleans, Shell hits 1
CA Minneapolis
DD Blue
DD Helm
DD Mugford
DD Ralph Talbot
DD Henley
DD Case, Shell hits 2, on fire

CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 19,000 yards
Allies open fire on surprised Japanese ships at 19,000 yards
CA Minneapolis fires at CV Kaga at 19,000 yards
BB Nevada fires at CV Hiryu at 19,000 yards
BB Nevada fires at BB Kirishima at 19,000 yards
BB Nevada fires at BB Hiei at 19,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CV Akagi at 16,000 yards
DD Blue engages CV Zuikaku at 16,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CV Shokaku at 16,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CV Soryu at 16,000 yards
DD Henley engages CV Hiryu at 16,000 yards
BB Kirishima engages DD Mugford at 16,000 yards
DD Helm engages DD Hamakaze at 16,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CA Chikuma at 16,000 yards
DD Blue engages DD Akigumo at 16,000 yards
Range closes to 12,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CV Kaga at 12,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CV Zuikaku at 12,000 yards
DD Blue engages CV Soryu at 12,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CV Hiryu at 12,000 yards
DD Blue engages CV Kaga at 12,000 yards
BB Hiei engages DD Helm at 12,000 yards
CA Chikuma engages DD Blue at 12,000 yards
DD Hamakaze engages DD Helm at 12,000 yards
DD Mugford engages DD Urakaze at 12,000 yards
DD Isokaze engages DD Case at 12,000 yards
DD Akigumo engages DD Case at 12,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CV Zuikaku at 9,000 yards
CA New Orleans engages CV Kaga at 9,000 yards
DD Isokaze engages DD Case at 9,000 yards
DD Henley engages DD Isokaze at 9,000 yards
DD Ralph Talbot engages DD Isokaze at 9,000 yards
BB Kirishima engages BB Nevada at 9,000 yards
DD Hamakaze engages DD Helm at 9,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CA Chikuma at 9,000 yards
DD Case engages DD Kasumi at 9,000 yards
DD Ralph Talbot engages DD Arare at 9,000 yards
DD Tanikaze engages DD Case at 9,000 yards
DD Helm engages DD Hamakaze at 9,000 yards
DD Blue engages DD Akigumo at 9,000 yards
Range increases to 13,000 yards
DD Tanikaze collides with BB Hiei at 184 , 104
BB Nevada engages CV Kaga at 13,000 yards
CA Minneapolis engages CV Zuikaku at 13,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CV Shokaku at 13,000 yards
DD Hamakaze engages DD Case at 13,000 yards
DD Henley engages DD Akigumo at 13,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CV Kaga at 13,000 yards
BB Nevada engages BB Kirishima at 13,000 yards
DD Kasumi engages DD Helm at 13,000 yards
CA Chikuma engages DD Blue at 13,000 yards
DD Kasumi engages DD Case at 13,000 yards
DD Arare engages DD Case at 13,000 yards
DD Hamakaze engages DD Helm at 13,000 yards
DD Urakaze engages DD Mugford at 13,000 yards
DD Ralph Talbot engages DD Isokaze at 13,000 yards
DD Akigumo engages DD Henley at 13,000 yards
Range increases to 17,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CV Akagi at 17,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CV Zuikaku at 17,000 yards
DD Hamakaze engages DD Case at 17,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CV Hiryu at 17,000 yards
DD Ralph Talbot engages DD Tanikaze at 17,000 yards
BB Kirishima engages BB Nevada at 17,000 yards
BB Hiei engages BB Nevada at 17,000 yards
DD Tanikaze engages DD Blue at 17,000 yards
DD Kasumi engages DD Henley at 17,000 yards
DD Blue engages DD Hamakaze at 17,000 yards
DD Henley engages DD Isokaze at 17,000 yards
Range increases to 20,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CV Kaga at 20,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CV Shokaku at 20,000 yards
BB Nevada engages BB Kirishima at 20,000 yards
BB Hiei engages BB Nevada at 20,000 yards
DD Isokaze engages DD Blue at 20,000 yards
CA Tone engages BB Nevada at 20,000 yards
DD Ralph Talbot engages DD Urakaze at 20,000 yards
Range increases to 25,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CV Kaga at 25,000 yards
CA Minneapolis engages CV Kaga at 25,000 yards
CA New Orleans engages CV Kaga at 25,000 yards
BB Hiei engages DD Helm at 25,000 yards
CA New Orleans engages DD Isokaze at 25,000 yards
Task forces break off...

Day Time Surface Combat, near Lahaina at 185,104, Range 24,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CV Kaga, Shell hits 7, heavy fires, heavy damage
CV Hiryu, heavy fires
CV Soryu
CV Shokaku
CV Zuikaku, Shell hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
CV Akagi
BB Hiei
BB Kirishima, Shell hits 2
CA Tone
CA Chikuma
DD Akigumo
DD Isokaze, on fire
DD Urakaze
DD Hamakaze, Shell hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Tanikaze, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Arare
DD Kasumi

Allied Ships
BB Nevada, Shell hits 17, heavy fires, heavy damage
CA New Orleans, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
CA Minneapolis
DD Blue
DD Helm
DD Mugford
DD Ralph Talbot, Shell hits 1
DD Henley
DD Case, Shell hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage

CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 24,000 yards
Allies open fire on surprised Japanese ships at 24,000 yards
Range closes to 22,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CV Kaga at 22,000 yards
BB Kirishima engages DD Mugford at 22,000 yards
CA Chikuma engages BB Nevada at 22,000 yards
CA Minneapolis engages DD Tanikaze at 22,000 yards
Range closes to 19,000 yards
CA Minneapolis engages CV Kaga at 19,000 yards
BB Kirishima engages BB Nevada at 19,000 yards
CA Chikuma engages CA New Orleans at 19,000 yards
DD Arare engages DD Ralph Talbot at 19,000 yards
DD Tanikaze engages DD Ralph Talbot at 19,000 yards
DD Urakaze engages DD Helm at 19,000 yards
DD Isokaze engages DD Helm at 19,000 yards
Range closes to 17,000 yards
CA New Orleans engages CV Kaga at 17,000 yards
BB Kirishima engages BB Nevada at 17,000 yards
BB Hiei engages BB Nevada at 17,000 yards
CA Chikuma engages DD Blue at 17,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CA Tone at 17,000 yards
DD Helm engages DD Kasumi at 17,000 yards
DD Tanikaze engages DD Blue at 17,000 yards
DD Urakaze engages DD Blue at 17,000 yards
DD Isokaze engages DD Helm at 17,000 yards
DD Ralph Talbot engages DD Tanikaze at 15,000 yards
BB Kirishima engages BB Nevada at 15,000 yards
BB Hiei engages BB Nevada at 15,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CA Chikuma at 15,000 yards
DD Ralph Talbot engages DD Arare at 15,000 yards
DD Isokaze engages DD Helm at 15,000 yards
Range closes to 12,000 yards
CA Minneapolis engages CV Kaga at 12,000 yards
CA New Orleans engages CV Kaga at 12,000 yards
BB Kirishima engages BB Nevada at 12,000 yards
DD Tanikaze engages DD Helm at 12,000 yards
DD Tanikaze engages DD Blue at 12,000 yards
CA Tone engages CA Minneapolis at 12,000 yards
DD Kasumi engages DD Helm at 12,000 yards
DD Tanikaze engages DD Helm at 12,000 yards
DD Hamakaze engages DD Helm at 12,000 yards
DD Urakaze engages DD Blue at 12,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CV Kaga at 8,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CV Zuikaku at 8,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CV Shokaku at 8,000 yards
DD Arare engages DD Case at 8,000 yards
DD Isokaze engages DD Henley at 8,000 yards
DD Arare engages DD Ralph Talbot at 8,000 yards
BB Kirishima engages BB Nevada at 8,000 yards
BB Nevada engages BB Hiei at 8,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CA Chikuma at 8,000 yards
CA New Orleans engages CA Tone at 8,000 yards
DD Arare engages DD Henley at 8,000 yards
DD Ralph Talbot engages DD Tanikaze at 8,000 yards
DD Hamakaze engages DD Henley at 8,000 yards
DD Akigumo engages DD Case at 8,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CV Kaga at 10,000 yards
DD Blue engages CV Zuikaku at 10,000 yards
CA New Orleans engages CV Kaga at 10,000 yards
DD Henley engages DD Arare at 10,000 yards
BB Hiei engages DD Helm at 10,000 yards
BB Nevada engages CA Chikuma at 10,000 yards
CA Minneapolis engages CA Tone at 10,000 yards
DD Hamakaze engages DD Case at 10,000 yards
DD Case engages DD Urakaze at 10,000 yards
Task forces break off...

Sub attack near Johnston Island at 169,115

Japanese Ships
SS I-16

Allied Ships
DD Dunlap
DD McCall
DD Balch
DD Fanning
DD Ellet

SS I-16 launches 2 torpedoes at DD Dunlap
I-16 diving deep ....
DD Balch fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Fanning fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Dunlap attacking submerged sub ....
SS I-16 eludes ASW attack from DD Dunlap
DD Ellet fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Dunlap fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Dunlap attacking submerged sub ....
SS I-16 eludes DD Dunlap by diving deep
DD Dunlap is out of ASW ammo

Sub attack near Johnston Island at 169,115

Japanese Ships
SS I-18

Allied Ships
CV Enterprise, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
CA Northampton
DD Balch
DD Fanning
DD Ellet
DD Benham

Fuel storage explosion on CV Enterprise
SS I-18 launches 8 torpedoes at CV Enterprise
DD Balch fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Fanning attacking submerged sub ....
DD Fanning loses contact with SS I-18
DD Ellet fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Benham fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Fanning fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Ellet fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Benham fails to find sub and abandons search

Day Time Surface Combat, near Tawi Tawi at 71,90, Range 17,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Nagara
DD Yukikaze
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Yamakaze
DD Kawakaze
DD Umikaze
DD Suzukaze
DD Shiokaze

Allied Ships
AVP Heron, Shell hits 14, and is sunk

Range closes to 17,000 yards...
Japanese open fire on surprised Allied ships at 17,000 yards
CL Nagara launches Long Lance Torpedoes at AVP Heron at 17,000 yards
DD Yukikaze engages AVP Heron at 15,000 yards
DD Kawakaze engages AVP Heron at 15,000 yards
CL Nagara engages AVP Heron at 11,000 yards
DD Umikaze engages AVP Heron at 11,000 yards
DD Yukikaze engages AVP Heron at 11,000 yards
CL Nagara engages AVP Heron at 8,000 yards
DD Umikaze engages AVP Heron at 8,000 yards
Range increases to 9,000 yards
CL Nagara engages AVP Heron at 9,000 yards
AVP Heron sunk by DD Kawakaze at 9,000 yards

Sub attack near Lahaina at 185,104

Japanese Ships
CV Zuikaku, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Hamakaze, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Kasumi

Allied Ships
SS Tautog

SS Tautog launches 2 torpedoes at CV Zuikaku
Tautog diving deep ....
DD Kasumi fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Kasumi attacking submerged sub ....

Morning Air attack on Pearl Harbor , at 180,107

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 42 NM, estimated altitude 20,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 18

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:
18 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet

Morning Air attack on Manila , at 79,77

Raid detected at 111 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 38 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 78
G4M1 Betty x 25

Allied aircraft
P-35A x 22
P-40B Warhawk x 24
P-40E Warhawk x 60

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 7 destroyed
G4M1 Betty: 10 destroyed, 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
P-35A: 3 destroyed
P-40B Warhawk: 1 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 6 destroyed

Port hits 1
Port fuel hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 8000 feet
Port Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

CAP engaged:
24th PG/3rd PS with P-40E Warhawk (3 airborne, 12 on standby, 0 scrambling)
3 plane(s) intercepting now.
2 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 3000 and 14000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 11 minutes
24th PG/17th PS with P-40E Warhawk (6 airborne, 14 on standby, 0 scrambling)
6 plane(s) intercepting now.
1 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 15000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 15 minutes
24th PG/20th PS with P-40B Warhawk (6 airborne, 16 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 8000 and 15000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 22 minutes
35th PG/21st PS with P-40E Warhawk (6 airborne, 15 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 8000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 11000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 23 minutes
35th PG/34th PS with P-35A (6 airborne, 15 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 3000 and 15000.
1 planes vectored on to bombers
24th PG/HqS with P-40B Warhawk (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 7 minutes

Morning Air attack on 51st Chinese Corps, at 90,46 (Kweiteh)

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 16 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-Ic Sally x 17

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
133 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 10 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Guns lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x Ki-21-Ic Sally bombing from 6000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on 20th Chinese Corps, at 83,51 , near Wuchang

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27b Nate x 17
Ki-30 Ann x 9

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
25 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x Ki-30 Ann bombing from 6000 feet
Ground Attack: 1 x 250 kg GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on Hong Kong , at 77,61

Raid detected at 91 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 31 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27b Nate x 8
Ki-44 Tojo x 6
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 9
Ki-51 Sonia x 21

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-51 Sonia: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
Walrus II: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied Ships
xAK Hinsang, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Hanyang, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAKL Soochow, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Nanning, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAKL Chengtu, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAK Bennevis, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Allied ground losses:
5 casualties reported

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 8
Port hits 2
Port supply hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
20 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing from 8000 feet
Airfield Attack: 4 x 50 kg GP Bomb
9 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 8000 feet
Port Attack: 4 x 100 kg GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on 58th Chinese Corps, at 84,52 , near Wuchang

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid spotted at 16 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27b Nate x 8
Ki-51 Sonia x 12

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing from 6000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 50 kg GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on TF, near Lahaina at 185,104

Raid detected at 39 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 17 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 14

Allied aircraft
P-40B Warhawk x 22
F4F-3A Wildcat x 20
F4F-3 Wildcat x 10
SB2U-3 Vindicator x 15
SBD-2 Dauntless x 35

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40B Warhawk: 2 destroyed
F4F-3A Wildcat: 1 destroyed
SB2U-3 Vindicator: 1 destroyed, 5 damaged
SBD-2 Dauntless: 1 destroyed, 9 damaged
SBD-2 Dauntless: 3 destroyed by flak

Japanese Ships
CV Akagi
CV Soryu, Bomb hits 1, on fire
BB Hiei
CV Shokaku, Bomb hits 2, on fire
BB Kirishima, Bomb hits 1
CA Chikuma

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x SBD-2 Dauntless releasing from 3000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 1000 lb GP Bomb
16 x F4F-3A Wildcat sweeping at 10000 feet *
7 x SBD-2 Dauntless releasing from 4000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 1000 lb SAP Bomb
10 x F4F-3 Wildcat sweeping at 10000 feet
7 x P-40B Warhawk sweeping at 10000 feet
10 x SB2U-3 Vindicator releasing from 4000'
5 x P-40B Warhawk sweeping at 10000 feet *
2 x SBD-2 Dauntless releasing from 4000'
4 x SBD-2 Dauntless releasing from 3000'
3 x SBD-2 Dauntless releasing from 2000'
4 x SB2U-3 Vindicator releasing from 3000'
4 x SBD-2 Dauntless releasing from 2000'

CAP engaged:
Soryu-1 with A6M2 Zero (2 airborne, 5 on standby, 0 scrambling)
2 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters to 8000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 3 minutes
Shokaku-1 with A6M2 Zero (2 airborne, 5 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 10000 and 11000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 4 minutes

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring CV Shokaku

Morning Air attack on TF, near Lihue at 179,102

Raid spotted at 3 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 1 minutes

Allied aircraft
TBD-1 Devastator x 15

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
DD Shiranui, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Kagero, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
15 x TBD-1 Devastator bombing from 5000 feet *
Naval Attack: 2 x 500 lb SAP Bomb

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring DD Shiranui
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring DD Kagero

Morning Air attack on Shanghai , at 92,55

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid spotted at 26 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Allied aircraft
A-29A Hudson x 3

No Allied losses

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x A-29A Hudson bombing from 10000 feet *
Port Attack: 2 x 250 lb GP Bomb

Raid detected at 33 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 10

Allied aircraft
B-17D Fortress x 2
P-36A Mohawk x 5
P-40B Warhawk x 6

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-17D Fortress: 2 damaged
P-40B Warhawk: 2 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CV Soryu, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x B-17D Fortress bombing from 5000 feet
Naval Attack: 8 x 500 lb SAP Bomb

CAP engaged:
Soryu-1 with A6M2 Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
5 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 10000 and 17000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 56 minutes
Shokaku-1 with A6M2 Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
5 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 10000 and 20000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 74 minutes

Morning Air attack on Ayuthia , at 56,61

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid spotted at 39 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Allied aircraft
Blenheim I x 3

No Allied losses

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Blenheim I bombing from 10000 feet *
City Attack: 2 x 250 lb GP Bomb

Raid detected at 37 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 8

Allied aircraft
B-18A Bolo x 14
P-40B Warhawk x 16

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
B-18A Bolo: 5 damaged
P-40B Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CA Chikuma
CV Soryu, on fire
BB Kirishima
CV Akagi
DD Akigumo

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x B-18A Bolo bombing from 5000 feet
Naval Attack: 4 x 500 lb SAP Bomb
6 x B-18A Bolo bombing from 5000 feet
5 x B-18A Bolo bombing from 5000 feet

CAP engaged:
Soryu-1 with A6M2 Zero (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 2 scrambling)
1 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 3000 and 10000.
Shokaku-1 with A6M2 Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 2 scrambling)
2 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 9000 and 10000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 28 minutes

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring CV Soryu

Raid detected at 34 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 4

Allied aircraft
A-20A Havoc x 10
P-36A Mohawk x 2

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
A-20A Havoc: 3 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Hiei

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x A-20A Havoc bombing from 5000 feet *
Naval Attack: 2 x 500 lb SAP Bomb

CAP engaged:
Soryu-1 with A6M2 Zero (2 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Raid is overhead
Shokaku-1 with A6M2 Zero (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
1 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters to 5000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 26 minutes

Raid spotted at 7 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 1
B5N2 Kate x 18
D3A1 Val x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 1 damaged
D3A1 Val: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied Ships
BB Nevada, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Mugford, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Case, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
CA New Orleans, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Henley

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 250 kg SAP Bomb
18 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo
8 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring BB Nevada
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring DD Case
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring CA New Orleans

Morning Air attack on TF, near Lihue at 179,102

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 11
B5N2 Kate x 16
D3A1 Val x 13

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied Ships
CL Detroit
DD Selfridge, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Phelps, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Farragut
DD Dewey, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 9000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb
9 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
2 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000' *
Naval Attack: 2 x 60 kg GP Bomb
11 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000' *
Naval Attack: 2 x 60 kg GP Bomb

Magazine explodes on DD Dewey
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring DD Dewey

Morning Air attack on TF, near Lahaina at 184,105

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 3 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 0 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 11
D3A1 Val x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A1 Val: 3 damaged

Allied Ships
CA Minneapolis, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
8 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring CA Minneapolis

Morning Air attack on TF, near Pearl Harbor at 181,107

Raid spotted at 7 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Japanese aircraft
D3A1 Val x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A1 Val: 2 damaged

Allied Ships
CL Helena, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Tucker, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
1 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
4 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring an Allied CA

Morning Air attack on TF, near Lahaina at 184,104

Raid spotted at 15 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 25

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Allen
DD Cassin
DD Litchfield, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Aircraft Attacking:
25 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Massive explosion on DD Litchfield

Afternoon Air attack on Hong Kong , at 77,61

Raid detected at 89 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 28 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 14
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 13

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Vildebeest III: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
xAK Hinsang, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
xAK Haraldsvang, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 10

Aircraft Attacking:
13 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 4 x 100 kg GP Bomb
14 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 12000 feet
Port Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb

Afternoon Air attack on Hong Kong , at 77,61

Raid spotted at 2 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 0 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-30 Ann x 21

No Japanese losses

Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 4

Aircraft Attacking:
21 x Ki-30 Ann bombing from 6000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 1 x 100 kg GP Bomb

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Balabac at 70,85

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Allied aircraft
OS2U-3 Kingfisher x 2

Allied aircraft losses
OS2U-3 Kingfisher: 1 damaged
OS2U-3 Kingfisher: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese Ships
DD Yukikaze

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x OS2U-3 Kingfisher bombing from 6000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 250 lb GP Bomb

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Sabang at 45,71

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid spotted at 32 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 13

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAK Wing Sang, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
HDML Pennigat, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
HDML Panji, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
HDML Panglima, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
HDML Pahalwan

Aircraft Attacking:
13 x G3M2 Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Submarine attack near Lahaina at 182,108

Japanese Ships
SS I-1

Allied Ships
xAK Hoegh Merchant

xAK Hoegh Merchant is sighted by SS I-1
SS I-1 launches 2 torpedoes

Naval bombardment of Sorong at 82,107

Allied Ships
CL Marblehead

CL Marblehead firing at Sasebo 1st SNLF

Pre-Invasion action off Aparri (82,73)

2 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
PB Taiko Maru
PB Kamitsu Maru
SC Ch 15
SC Ch 14
SC Ch 13
SC Ch 3
SC Ch 2
SC Ch 1
xAK Anzan Maru #2

PB Taiko Maru fired at enemy troops
PB Kamitsu Maru fired at enemy troops
SC Ch 15 fired at enemy troops
SC Ch 14 fired at enemy troops
SC Ch 13 fired at enemy troops
SC Ch 3 fired at enemy troops
SC Ch 2 fired at enemy troops
SC Ch 1 fired at enemy troops
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 6,000 yards
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 2,000 yards

Amphibious Assault at Aparri (82,73)

TF 87 troops unloading over beach at Aparri, 82,73

Japanese ground losses:
75 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost from landing craft during unload of Tanaka Det
19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost in surf during unload of Tanaka Det
19 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad accidentally lost during unload of Tanaka Det

6 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
PB Choun Maru #18
PB Bisan Maru #3
xAK Chuko Maru

Japanese ground losses:
6 casualties reported

PB Choun Maru #18 fired at enemy troops
PB Bisan Maru #3 fired at enemy troops
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 4,000 yards
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 2,000 yards

TF 118 troops unloading over beach at Aparri, 82,73

Japanese ground losses:
23 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 7 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 2 (2 destroyed, 0 disabled)

18 troops of a IJA Engineer Squad lost in surf during unload of 3rd Ind. Engr Rgt
10 Support troops lost overboard during unload of 3rd Ind. Engr Rgt
8 Engineers accidentally lost during unload of 3rd Engineer Const Bn
10 Support troops accidentally lost during unload of 3rd Ind. Engr Rgt
10 Support troops lost overboard during unload of 14th Army
10 Support troops lost from landing craft during unload of 14th Army
10 Support troops accidentally lost during unload of 14th Army /2
Motorized Support dropped into water during unload of 14th Army /2
8 Engineers lost overboard during unload of 56th Const Co
Motorized Support dropped into water during unload of 14th Army /3

5 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
PB Akitsui Maru
xAKL Kurama Maru

PB Akitsui Maru fired at enemy troops
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 5,000 yards
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 1,000 yards

TF 245 troops unloading over beach at Aparri, 82,73

Ground combat at Kota Bharu (51,75)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 4996 troops, 41 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 174

Defending force 3795 troops, 40 guns, 3 vehicles, Assault Value = 138

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 1

Japanese adjusted assault: 125

Allied adjusted defense: 34

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Kota Bharu !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: forts(+), disruption(-), preparation(-), fatigue(-)
morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
213 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Guns lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
2085 casualties reported
Squads: 56 destroyed, 49 disabled
Non Combat: 71 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 15 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 31 (30 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Vehicles lost 3 (3 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 3

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
56th Infantry Regiment
12th Engineer Regiment
5th JAAF AF Coy

Defending units:
FMSV Brigade
8th Indian Brigade
3rd ISF Base Force

Ground combat at Tarawa (136,128)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 1463 troops, 12 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 61

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 0

Japanese adjusted assault: 54

Allied adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 54 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Tarawa !!!

Combat modifiers

Assaulting units:
51st Naval Guard Unit

Ground combat at Sorong (82,107)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 1479 troops, 19 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 60

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 0

Japanese adjusted assault: 29

Allied adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 29 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Sorong !!!

Combat modifiers

Assaulting units:
Sasebo 1st SNLF

Ground combat at Aparri (82,73)

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 325 troops, 6 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 18

Defending force 10684 troops, 96 guns, 168 vehicles, Assault Value = 132

Allied ground losses:
34 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Assaulting units:
3rd/12th PA Inf Battalion

Defending units:
3rd Ind. Engineer Regiment
Tanaka Detachment
21st Ind. Engineer Regiment
9th Field AF Construction Battalion
9th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
40th JAAF AF Bn
56th Const Co
15th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
8th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
3rd Engineer Construction Battalion
28th JAAF AF Bn
14th Army /1

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/16/2012 9:37:10 AM >

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 27
RE: The (KB) Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/16/2012 9:45:15 AM   
koniu

Ouch! not best start for Japan.
Even if you safe your CVs it will cripple you for some time.

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 28
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/16/2012 1:00:50 PM   
Icedawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Strategy and Tactics

Now the doors are open to begin discussions about the game itself. Firstly, I will not be as detailed in this AAR as with the Wild Sheep's Chase. I just don't have time. I'll do my best, but if the game takes off at some point past the 2-3 turns a day we've agreed on, I will struggle to post everything relevant. I will give more combat reports and try to keep the major events up to date.

This will be a chance to see what I've learned about the Japanese economy and force structure, research and production, as well as how to use the elements strategically and tactically.

The Opponent: Historiker (Torsten) appears to be fairly aggressive and experienced. He also has read a good portion of my posts, and maybe more than I realize. I'll attempt to use his aggressiveness against him. Also, I will vary what I've done before to keep him guessing, in direct missions and in more strategic planning and hopefully also in tactical style. I have some ideas to play with now.

If his style is aggressive, mine will be slow and methodical. I want to take care of my forces and units. The first punch of turn 1 should be a right hook, but for the next week there will only be jabs and feints unless other opportunities present themselves.

SRA and PI: The first turn will see most usual invasions with the secondary TFs at Samah speeded up toward Malaya with the quick surface forces available there in the magic TFs. No Mersing, no Singkawang on turn 1, not even Kuching or Miri. I'll hold and see where his forces are deployed, unload a lot of slow badly designed convoys and reload on fast transports. I may not have anything on Borneo for several days or a week.

The one incursion I'll make on turn 1 is to Sorong. This will become scouting base number 1 for this region. I want to see what's moving. Then will come Ternate and possibly Manado. I'll wait a few days to go for Mindanao until the US CAs and the other surface forces are located.

There will be a strong strike on the port at Minilla turn 1 with anything that will fly that far. Then a bunch of sweeps without bombing runs. Then more bombing once the P-40s get thin.

Para-drops will land on Luzon at Vigan and at that base one hex from Aparri with the small PA unit in it.

The Bataan Island invasion will be the one heading to Sorong.

Pacific: Wake will not go immediately. I'll unload and recompose the TFs to throw two ground units into it. Also, I'm VERY concerned about a CV strike in the Marshalls. I will evac all valuable shipping and even get the Claudes out. No sense trashing stuff when I know I can't stop an attack anyway. The Nells will remain, and could get a lucky shot in by flying low, so that's how I'll use them.

There will be no quick moves to The Solomons. I'll wait until the KB begins to come back that way.

The Guam invasion will unload and recompose its TF, then head to Truk on the way to Rabaul. The cover force of the 4 CAs will move to Truk to become a fast transport if the situation presents itself. If the Allied CVs come close, these are at least quick enough to get out of the way.

Pearl Harbor: Vanilla. Might go for day two, but with planes set on naval/port and the KB in an unusual position to the E of PH. I'll also sweep heavily in the morning phase, and any port strikes that go will be afternoon. Subs will be used to screen for the KB and a CL/DD will be detached as a SCTF. Then the KB will sprint back to support first the Wake invasion, then the Cent Pac and So Pac moves.

AOs will be sent to Marcus. Only the 4 19 knot ones with 4 DDs. They will wait and see if the coast is clear before a potential rendezvous near Wake.

China: This will NOT be my focus for this game, surprisingly. I've figure out that China can be defeated, but it doesn't necessarily need an all-out effort to be successful. I'd like to try a few other things instead. More info about the alternatives will come soon.

The IJA in China begins all out of whack, not at full strength and with low moral. Most units will rest for a week before doing anything. I'll begin buying up to 2E for bombing units, but won't commit the entire IJAAF here this time. I'll focus on clearing the South and East, then on Sian and Lanchow to take away the fuel. Changsha will come later. Nanning and Liuchow after that if possible.

The Economy: This time around I have a decent blueprint for where I'd like to go with research, production and ship building.

To build pools early all non-essential ships will be turned off. I also hope to accelerate ALL CVs. We'll see if this works.

Extra research will be put into the Tojo this time from the beginning. Also more into the Frank and several late-war models like the Ki-83 and the Sam especially. It's a travesty to have to keep using Zeros after 43, and I will try to get this plane VERY far forward with this investment. Hopefully up to a year ahead, but most likely more like 8-9 months. never been there, so not sure if I can pull it off. But I might as well try.

Less emphasis will be put on bomber types except for the IJNAF models, the Judy and the Grace.

I'll also toy with moving the jets up into 45. Not sure this will work either, or if it will matter with their service rating 5 and being that late. Just want to try them out, and I hope to last that long.

With China eating a lot of supply last time around I had to put a hold on certain expansions and even quickly repairing the Miri Oil. That will not occur this time around. China may get a boost occasionally, but setting up a good base in the SRA and in the Pacific will be the primary goal, plus any other minor offensive plans that take shape after the SRA is taken.

Looking forward to the game. Now for the replay of turn 1.

I thought you had a house rule that limited you to one port strike on turn 1. How is it then that you are hitting both PH and Manila on Dec 7th?

Also, what was your rationale for making a second strike on PH on Dec 8th? Based on the Dec 7th combat report, you got a result better than any I can remember getting. One BB reported sunk and two or three others probably sinking sounds pretty darn good to me. I know hindsight is 20/20 here, but I definitely would not have stuck around with a day one strike as good as the one you got.

I like the idea of your move on Sorong. It is easy to take and provides a nice strategic vantage point to check out ships fleeing the Philippines and any allied moves to oppose a future invasion of Ambon and/or Timor. I'll have to file this one away for future use.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 29
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/16/2012 2:32:51 PM   
Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

I thought you had a house rule that limited you to one port strike on turn 1. How is it then that you are hitting both PH and Manila on Dec 7th?

One CV portstrike on turn 1.

Key being CV.

Hope it helps,

Rasmus

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_SqzMyLemon_Canoerebel (A) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI