Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/10/2016 8:51:08 PM   
Lowpe

Jugs and Corsairs...the A team!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 931
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/10/2016 8:59:35 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Jugs and Corsairs...the A team!

Mr T was there too.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 932
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/11/2016 1:56:03 PM   
obvert

14-15 November, 1943

CHINA: I set a massive LR CAP over Paoshan for this attack on the base by the divisions now in hex. Surprisingly the Allies didn't strike, and didn't even seem to have CAP up at Myitkyina which shows one 18 plane group (likely the Corsairs) at base. I sent Georges to disrupt LR CAP to Warzup, Myityina, and the other dot base on the way to Lashio, but no CAP. Too bad.

Still, the larger goal was achieved, as two divisions, a gaggle of medium and large caliber arty and an HQ add to the tank division in hex. They easily take the base and eject the Chinese refugees toward Burma. It was fun to watch slowly and see the effect of the arty units, basically halving the combat strength of the Chinese during their bombardments and probably spiking disruption to boot.

Most importantly in this isolated mountain environment down its thin, winding hillside donkey track, the LI and resources are in tact. So it will self-support the garrison and also feed some resources to Kunming, which has been running short recently. Once Sining is in hand in the next few weeks, the Chinese should be self-sufficient again.

BURMA: Not much happening, but shifted some units to better be able to react or even strat move units to Moulmein in case of an amphib movement toward the coastline. Also bombarded near Ramree to see if new units had moved in there. Seems about the same. A LOT!

CENT PAC: I'll consider the makeup of the Marcus and other atoll defense garrisons now that I've got some better troops coming online. I'd like to install small tank units, AT gun and 15-30cm arty units, IJA 43 squads filled troops and some of the small base forces from the Marshalls, which take up little space but offer some air and naval support, unlike the regular base force units.

SW PAC: Paras landed at Rekata Bay and took the base away from the Roratonga det. and a construction reg. No big supply dump left which is too bad. At least these guys repaired the fields before we kicked them out!

Troops are filling out and upgrading to 43 squads around Japan and some will fill out bases here soon. I've also bought out the Chinese SNLF units as the Chinese IJ forces are expanding and can cover garrisons there. I'm only making speed bumps, and need bigger better pieces for the next layer around the East side of New Guinea and the Moluccas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR November 14, 42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Rekata Bay (113,134)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 408 troops, 7 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 31

Defending force 812 troops, 5 guns, 30 vehicles, Assault Value = 6

Japanese adjusted assault: 17

Allied adjusted defense: 4

Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Rekata Bay !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
supply(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
36 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
293 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 19 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 25 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 5 (5 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 22 (22 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Units retreated 2

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
Yokosuka 3rd SNLF /1

Defending units:
Rarotonga Det.
1393rd Construction Regiment

Ground combat at Paoshan (65,45)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 44918 troops, 448 guns, 853 vehicles, Assault Value = 1282

Defending force 8602 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 81

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 3

Japanese adjusted assault: 1203

Allied adjusted defense: 220

Japanese assault odds: 5 to 1 (fort level 3)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Paoshan !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
309 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 24 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Allied ground losses:
2762 casualties reported
Squads: 23 destroyed, 37 disabled
Non Combat: 71 destroyed, 46 disabled
Engineers: 47 destroyed, 11 disabled
Units retreated 6
Units destroyed 1

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
3rd Division
3rd Tank Division
41st Division
2nd Hvy.Artillery Regiment
3rd Hvy.Artillery Regiment
2nd Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
23rd Army
15th Ind.Medium Field Artillery Regiment
Botanko Hvy Gun Regiment
1st Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
4th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion

Defending units:
13th Construction Regiment
20th Chinese Base Force
2nd Construction Regiment
10th Group Army
7th Construction Regiment
7th Chinese Base Force
6th Construction Regiment

Ground combat at 55,48 (near Ramree Island)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 1008 troops, 35 guns, 54 vehicles, Assault Value = 1667

Defending force 149058 troops, 1214 guns, 973 vehicles, Assault Value = 4868

Japanese ground losses:
Vehicles lost 3 (1 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Assaulting units:
18th Division
2nd Tank Division
3rd RTA Division
2nd RTA Division
6th RTA Division
7th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
44th Ind.AA Gun Co
53rd Field AA Battalion
23rd Medium Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
1st USMC Corps Tank Battalion
26th Indian/B Division
102nd Combat Engineer Regiment
26th Indian/A Division
7th New Chinese Corps
Provisionl Tank Brigade
3rd New Chinese Corps
8th New Chinese Corps
5th Chinese Corps
14th Indian Division
147th(Sep) Infantry Regiment
11th (East African) Division
6th Chinese Corps
Gardner's Horse Regiment
1st Manchester Battalion
Guides Cavalry Regiment
26th Indian/C Division
44th Cavalry Engineer Regiment
X' Force
21st Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
6th Mixed A/T Mtr Regiment

I'll reclaim the vacant Saidor and then build a smaller barrier along the red-lined areas. If this has some resistance, and Cent Pac is strong, plus I'm getting the North strengthened, then it'll be tough for the Allies to choose where to go, I hope.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/11/2016 1:58:17 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 933
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/12/2016 11:30:00 AM   
obvert

BURMA:

On the Arakan we bombarded to check force strength for the Allies. It's daunting, but the hope is that our high forts will not be favorable to the massive Chinese units that form the bulk of the army here. The tanks are a worry, but it seems the big tank brigade is not back to full strength after previous attacks (or never was at full TOE, I can't remember).

I've got another tank division in Prome to serve as a reserve here should a first attack be successful for the Allies. This is unlikely against level 6 forts of the Thai troops. Those will be sacrificed as a rear guard if the position becomes compromised by heavy bombing or flanking maneuvers.

I think the Allies are poised to take the central bases at Mandalay and Shwebo. This will lead to the next phase where we'll have to be careful and probably face multi-hex fronts rather than the massing tactic that Historiker employed. Hard points are planned and forts nearly complete at Toungoo, Taung Gyi, Prome (although the terrain makes this iffy, it does have the river crossing to have to consider). Other non-base areas may have to be invested as well, and I'm considering throwing something soon into the jungle x2 hex between Prome and Toungoo, but we'll have some warning due to movement rates and he will need the roads to move forward in strength eventually.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/12/2016 11:50:14 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 934
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/12/2016 11:58:09 AM   
mind_messing

quote:

CENT PAC: I'll consider the makeup of the Marcus and other atoll defense garrisons now that I've got some better troops coming online. I'd like to install small tank units, AT gun and 15-30cm arty units, IJA 43 squads filled troops and some of the small base forces from the Marshalls, which take up little space but offer some air and naval support, unlike the regular base force units.

From my experience, your heavy artillery is best used in bulk quantities. You just don't get the mileage out of it in sending it to penny-packet garrison atolls. Atolls are an exercise in seeing how much AV you can squeeze on given the stacking restrictions. Tanks and artillery have about the same stacking cost, and I've seen tanks do great work in kicking atoll invasion forces back into the sea. Artillery seems to do very little in comparison.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 935
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/12/2016 12:34:58 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

From my experience, your heavy artillery is best used in bulk quantities. You just don't get the mileage out of it in sending it to penny-packet garrison atolls. Atolls are an exercise in seeing how much AV you can squeeze on given the stacking restrictions. Tanks and artillery have about the same stacking cost, and I've seen tanks do great work in kicking atoll invasion forces back into the sea. Artillery seems to do very little in comparison.

Cool. Good to know. I did have tanks at Marcus that did some good work there.

Where I've seen the heavy arty used effectively it often is in bulk, and if dug in much more effective. I thought that maybe with 6 forts they'd be virtually impervious to counter fire and up the disruption of landing units before combat. Not tested though, so who knows?

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 936
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/12/2016 12:45:24 PM   
Lowpe

What makes tanks a good choice on atolls, is that they are at the bottom of the list when it comes to naval bombardments picking targets....so they are likely to come thru the battleship bombardments in the best shape.

But you need some engineers and infantry to absorb the bombardment and the more units the better.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 937
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/12/2016 1:14:50 PM   
ny59giants

Other players may have a preference, but I like an inf rgt, combat eng (if available), and a tank battalion or two to take a 6k atoll as Allies even if the stacking value is up near 7k. The reason the tanks do so well is Japan usually doesn't have anything there with decent anti-armor values. So I would place a tank rgt on key atolls and/or any other LCU with small stacking value that has good anti-armor value. I don't know Japanese OOB to know what a good combo of troops would be to defend an atoll.

< Message edited by ny59giants -- 5/12/2016 1:16:47 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 938
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/12/2016 2:46:55 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Other players may have a preference, but I like an inf rgt, combat eng (if available), and a tank battalion or two to take a 6k atoll as Allies even if the stacking value is up near 7k. The reason the tanks do so well is Japan usually doesn't have anything there with decent anti-armor values. So I would place a tank rgt on key atolls and/or any other LCU with small stacking value that has good anti-armor value. I don't know Japanese OOB to know what a good combo of troops would be to defend an atoll.

Many of the SNLF have 47mm AT guns, but also there are stand alone RF gun battalions with 16 x 47mm AT guns. These are decent at 52 anti-armor. The Type 1 tanks are better, with 80. Japanese 43 IJA squads have 25 anti-armor, up 10 from the previous, so not bad, but not a 43 Commonwealth 75 anti-armor value either.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 939
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/12/2016 2:50:39 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

What makes tanks a good choice on atolls, is that they are at the bottom of the list when it comes to naval bombardments picking targets....so they are likely to come thru the battleship bombardments in the best shape.

But you need some engineers and infantry to absorb the bombardment and the more units the better.

The Japanese don't have many engineer units with Combat engineers in them, and these are either fragments of divisions or larger engineer units that would take up space on an atoll.

Why multiple units? Aren't bigger units better able to absorb multiple combats? Certainly one IJA regiment should be better than the same SL/AV of two naval guard units, or am I wrong there?

Also the leaders are better for the IJA in terms of land combat than for the IJN infantry units.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 940
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/12/2016 3:04:17 PM   
mind_messing

From what I've seen, any engineer units will do. Loka had a go at Wake in our game a year or two ago. Despite a pretty decent bombardment, the disruption was all focused on the AF unit at the base. The combat troops were in fairly good shape and were able to throw back the attack.

The multiple units thing is an additional insurance against bombardments in that it disperses the fire of bombarding ships over several units. One 120 AV IJA brigade might suffer quite heavily and be reduced to 60 AV. Two NavGuard units of 60 AV might end up being at something like 30 and 50 AV. Considering that, in most cases, an atoll will hold or not depending on the initial shock attack, I've tended towards the latter approach. Having the raw AV be more resistant to disruption so that it can be modified upwards by forts and terrain is better in my view.
I'm not sure how it would apply to 47mm guns, but I have seen artillery from 70mm and upwards try to duke it out with ships landing troops with hardly any success.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 941
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/12/2016 3:36:00 PM   
Lokasenna

Just land with a division and be done with it.

In the referenced attack, I think I got some really terrible rolls. Not much actually died, but it took a while for the division to recover.

Post #: 942
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/12/2016 3:47:08 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

In the referenced attack, I think I got some really terrible rolls. Not much actually died, but it took a while for the division to recover.

I was thinking of that regiment you heartlessly sent to their deaths in late '42 or early '43

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 943
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/12/2016 4:52:06 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Earlier in this game Historiker sent in a regiment and bits which were essentially vaporized on the beaches. Not sure what prep they had. He definitely didn't prepare the base with enough days of bombardment and/or air strikes.

The last one he did land with not one but pieces of two divisions on day one! In terms of numbers, it was about a divisions worth actually on the beaches, but that overstacking (and possibly lack of supply landed) left the massive imbalance unable to take the base. This is after many turns of disrupting bombardments from sea and air. Another key is that the forts weren't lowered, and I know the base forces are incredibly unhelpful here. The point being only that more may not be better.

Ground combat at Marcus Island (123,85)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 14195 troops, 320 guns, 458 vehicles, Assault Value = 624

Defending force 4629 troops, 42 guns, 53 vehicles, Assault Value = 182

Allied adjusted assault: 70

Japanese adjusted defense: 181

Allied assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 6)

Combat modifiers
Defender: forts(+), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), disruption(-)

Japanese ground losses:
681 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 59 disabled
Non Combat: 8 destroyed, 16 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 9 disabled
Guns lost 8 (2 destroyed, 6 disabled)
Vehicles lost 37 (17 destroyed, 20 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
3188 casualties reported
Squads: 101 destroyed, 61 disabled
Non Combat: 125 destroyed, 16 disabled
Engineers: 8 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 49 (39 destroyed, 10 disabled)
Vehicles lost 92 (80 destroyed, 12 disabled)

Assaulting units:
194th Tank Bn /6
1st USMC Amphb Tank Battalion
1st Cavalry (Spec) Cavalry Division
25th Infantry Div /6
143rd USA Base Force
146th USA Base Force

Defending units:
8th Armored Car Co
78th Naval Guard Unit
Sasebo 7th SNLF
2nd South Seas Gsn
Det. 3rd Special Base Force /1
34th Ind. Engineer Regiment

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 944
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/12/2016 5:28:48 PM   
obvert

Here is a big map showing the current limits of Japanese influence.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 945
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/12/2016 6:31:08 PM   
Lokasenna

It depends on what's in the more. Prep a division to 100, maybe grab a combat engineer unit also, and use only those in the attack. Don't land base forces until you're taking other units off. Pretty simple, really. The Allies can sustain a couple of days of overstacking. Just bring a lot of LSTs with supplies.

It might be useful to land an HQc also, to help ease the pain on disruption from overstacking.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 946
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/12/2016 6:31:43 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Here is a big map showing the current limits of Japanese influence.

What do you use in PS to draw the border?

Also, are those subs or surface pickets in NORPAC?

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 947
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/12/2016 10:43:35 PM   
obvert

Those are surface pickets in NorPac. Good spot!

The IO and couple in CentPac are I-boats with glens. I need to add another few and some off West OZ.

I use a path, then add a stroke using a spaced circular brush. I used to use a smaller dot but for some reason at 2 pt it was coming out square and I got impatient.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 948
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/12/2016 11:24:20 PM   
ny59giants

From an economic point of view, the Allies taking back the rest of northern Australia and pushing into the SRA would cause me the most concern in your position. How are your defenses there?

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 949
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/12/2016 11:38:21 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

From an economic point of view, the Allies taking back the rest of northern Australia and pushing into the SRA would cause me the most concern in your position. How are your defenses there?

Yes, it would. I've been looking closely at the bases in range here, down to Geraldton, and it would either have to be just CV plus naval at this point if he came this way. I've got Emilys from Cocos scouting, and I'm switching out subs at teh moment, but more will be on patrol soon. I'm planning an action over here to make sure nothing is easy, but I'm mainly interested in slowing things down.

All bases are ready with forts and fields, but more LCU are needed. Three are a few division's worth on Java, Sumatra has several as well, and there are naval guard units spread along the first line in the Arafura and Timor Seas. I need LCUs added to second level defenses for the harder points in the Macassar-Kendari-Ambon axis.

Since the CVs are undoubtedly back at Pearl and most likely getting an upgrade, I'll be able to use newly arriving and bought out troops over the next months to fill in. I also need some of the to strengthen the North though, too. That is just as worrisome to me as the DEI.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 950
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/13/2016 12:03:39 AM   
Drakanel

Your opponent is still being quite passive for now.

I think this means he's reorganizing and/or moving supplies or oil for a big push somewhere It must be quite traumatic, to pick up a game this late. And considering that your previous opponent gave up... well he may have inherited an unprepared logistical situation or something like that.

An offensive in Australia seems like a given. All that movement at PH, perhaps something in the south/center pacific. An advance in Burma is almost 100% guaranteed. But if I were you, I'd expect a surprise somewhere. I don't know where.... but in his place I'd certainly try to surprise you!

Might I ask for a screenshot of the capital ships losses? On both sides! I know you lost half the KB, but I'd like to see an updated report if I can...

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 951
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/13/2016 9:11:13 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drakanel

Your opponent is still being quite passive for now.

I think this means he's reorganizing and/or moving supplies or oil for a big push somewhere It must be quite traumatic, to pick up a game this late. And considering that your previous opponent gave up... well he may have inherited an unprepared logistical situation or something like that.

Yes. We've exchanged a few emails about the state of the game and his philosophy about picking it up. I know from him that there is a lot to do to bring some organization and direction to the Allied side. Joseph seems comfortable reorganizing at his own pace, and I hope it takes some time pressure off of him. The Allies can do a lot in 44 if planned well, so that seems his primary goal right now.

quote:

An offensive in Australia seems like a given. All that movement at PH, perhaps something in the south/center pacific. An advance in Burma is almost 100% guaranteed. But if I were you, I'd expect a surprise somewhere. I don't know where.... but in his place I'd certainly try to surprise you!

Might I ask for a screenshot of the capital ships losses? On both sides! I know you lost half the KB, but I'd like to see an updated report if I can...

Yes and no. A lot of players have tried to move into the DEI and found it to be a web of interlocking Japanese positions that really slow down ops, and the main goal is always to get in range of the Home Islands to knock out industry with the B-29s. It's good to hit the oil and all in the DEI, but it's tough to sustain bases in that area safely enough to put the Beasts on them and be in range of all targets.

He will surprise me. It may be a landing in the North, in Java, in the Marianas. Wherever it is I hope I can react. I'm aiming to get pieces in place to allow a reactionary force of LCU reserves. That should begin to accumulate in early 44.

It's also hard for me to switch to a new opponent and read the game as I have with my previous one. I could see more of the signs of activity with him and I'll have to slowly get accustomed to Joseph's rhythm. It's added a lot of interest in the game for me.

I'll post ship losses soon. Gotta get some screenshots from home.

(in reply to Drakanel)
Post #: 952
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/13/2016 11:06:38 AM   
obvert

This is when things get interesting. The first Franks getting to the front lines. I'll upgrade as I can in Rangoon and might get one group active in So Pac at Rabaul.

My production is limited for now to 105 a month, and will be until the Frank Ki-84b comes online with 90 more per month. I've then got the Ki-84r with another 60. I won't expand these as I'm trying to be frugal, even though I know this is not enough for right now and into early 44. I will have the Ki-100 coming online in early 44 for defensive purposes as well as the service 2 Jack and George versions within a month.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/13/2016 5:32:40 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 953
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/13/2016 5:36:25 PM   
obvert

Ship Losses

Looking back at the ship losses I realize I made some poor decisions in mid-late-42 going after Allied CVs near the Andamans with surface ships. I did get a CV, a fast BB and two CA in the balance, but can't afford the losses of one small CV and two CVL plus two BC and five CA () in exchange.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all that. Still, the game is fun and when it settled down, the losses on the Allied side have been creeping up as they have to put ships at risk to move forward, whereas so far, Japanese losses of major assets have been limited to the Furetaka and Kako in 43. There should be one more Allied slow BB on this list eventually, the Arizona, most likely sunk out near Wake with the other three here.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/14/2016 8:16:41 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 954
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/13/2016 6:16:24 PM   
obvert

Ship Losses (cont.)

Losses for cruisers favor the IJN a bit, but the CA losses are of course impossible to replace, whereas for the Allies there are a lot more of everything coming.

For DDs the Japanese have fared well so far.

IJN: 31
Allies: 37

ASW has taken it's toll of the Allied silent service, but the IJN is catching up slowly as better Allied training and equipment are used.

IJN: 23
Allies: 47

xAP/AP/APA losses are low for both sides.

IJN: 15
Allies 17

xAK/AK/AKA losses favor the IJN so far.

IJN: 97
Allies 153

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 955
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/14/2016 12:57:18 AM   
Drakanel

I see, thanks for posting those screenshots.

You managed to sink some battleships at least. That should slow down his heavy support bombardments at least. But his carrier fleet stands very much intact... That is quite worryinng.

Cruiser and destroyers, well the allies still have a ton. Of course, since they are the allies

This will be fun

If I can ask, did you already think about how to use your remaining carrier fleet? Will you try to save it for as long as possible, as an harassment tool, or use it once you see a truly worthy objective, no matter what the risks?

I mean, since it's relatively depleted, I doubt you can try for a carrier engagement... unless you strike it lucky, the allies have a very heavy numeric advantage...

< Message edited by Drakanel -- 5/14/2016 1:01:54 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 956
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/14/2016 8:54:25 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drakanel

I see, thanks for posting those screenshots.

You managed to sink some battleships at least. That should slow down his heavy support bombardments at least. But his carrier fleet stands very much intact... That is quite worryinng.

Cruiser and destroyers, well the allies still have a ton. Of course, since they are the allies

This will be fun

If I can ask, did you already think about how to use your remaining carrier fleet? Will you try to save it for as long as possible, as an harassment tool, or use it once you see a truly worthy objective, no matter what the risks?

I mean, since it's relatively depleted, I doubt you can try for a carrier engagement... unless you strike it lucky, the allies have a very heavy numeric advantage...

At this point using the KB depends on the circumstances, and yes, it's a powerful psychological weapon if not revealed. I could even consider splitting the CVs, showing some in one area, and then laying in wait for a move in another area not supported by a full Allied fleet.

In my previous long game the Allies eventually whittled down the KB, but it was still a successful striking tool from certain supported positions. Unless opportunities present themselves for a surprise move, I plan to make sure there is LBA around and the Allies are more out on a limb before sending the KB in for a scrap.

(in reply to Drakanel)
Post #: 957
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/14/2016 10:04:15 PM   
mind_messing

Japanese surface ships are pushed to the sidelines by the end of 1943, but you'll know this yourself. The cruiser shortage is probably the biggest limitation to the IJN (I've never really felt the DD pinch), and it's at the point that I'd swap a Yamato for a half dozen cruisers - anything that can fight off a murder of Fletchers...

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 958
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/14/2016 10:53:48 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

Japanese surface ships are pushed to the sidelines by the end of 1943, but you'll know this yourself. The cruiser shortage is probably the biggest limitation to the IJN (I've never really felt the DD pinch), and it's at the point that I'd swap a Yamato for a half dozen cruisers - anything that can fight off a murder of Fletchers...

I found BBs useful right to the end to bombard land positions and fields. Even CA don't do well against Fletchers, so I can only hope to avoid them!

Post #: 959
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 5/14/2016 10:57:25 PM   
obvert

This is an approximation of what the Allies have now and into the future for BBs. Can't get too optimistic here! There is always the ship queue to sober me up (or lead me to drink).

Looks like 7 old BB and 5 new BB for the USN on the map currently, plus an RN BB and BC Repulse. Arizona is a probable but not confirmed yet.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/14/2016 11:13:37 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 960
Page:   <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI