Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 7/14/2016 9:18:52 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sangeli

What level fort do you have at Rabaul?

Rabaul has forts 5. With two Marine divisions, a bunch of tanks and 4:1 AV against us, it will not last long. this is just the reality of a non-SL game.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Sangeli)
Post #: 1111
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 7/14/2016 9:26:41 PM   
witpqs

Even with SL - two Marine Divisions and tanks could surely fit on Rabaul. It's just the reality of the "defense of many places" versus the attacker's ability to choose where to go.

< Message edited by witpqs -- 7/14/2016 9:29:44 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1112
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 7/14/2016 9:38:08 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Even with SL - two Marine Divisions and tanks could surely fit on Rabaul. It's just the reality of the "defense of many places" versus the attacker's ability to choose where to go.

Oh, I don't mean just two Marine divisions, I mean including two Marine divisions.

He's got five divisions landed, nine armored regiments and a motor brigade, two combat engineer units, four arty, two AA and three base forces. I can't remember Rabaul's SL offhand, but that might still be under it. It just does slow the game down and other places become strongpoints because you know you can effectively defend them with a certain amount of troops and forts.

Without SL no place is really immune from a large stack.

What is nice here though is a lot of these troops did get messed up by the CD guns during landing. That gives me hope for later. I can use this and other info to hopefully do better closer to home.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 7/14/2016 9:42:34 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1113
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 7/14/2016 11:23:34 PM   
ny59giants

Rabaul SL is 45k. Each Marine Div has 15k for it's SL.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1114
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 7/15/2016 12:05:24 AM   
witpqs

I've also learned that the stacking limits have to be worked, they are not simple limits. If you are either on a small island or a land mass where you do not have many other bases & units connected, any supplies you land by sea will stay at your point of interest. You can exceed the stacking limits up to certain points depending on how much supply you can pump in and perhaps other factors in the overall situation. That was discussed with the developers more than once and is fully intended by them. The point is the attacker brings a whole crap load of supply and lots of it is wasted on penalties but they still overwhelm the defenders, mirroring real life.

With 45k SL there, they could easily put ashore 90k as long as enough supply was landed. Upon victory either pulls units out quickly or march off a bunch to chase the retreated ex-garrison.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 1115
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 7/15/2016 8:55:40 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I've also learned that the stacking limits have to be worked, they are not simple limits. If you are either on a small island or a land mass where you do not have many other bases & units connected, any supplies you land by sea will stay at your point of interest. You can exceed the stacking limits up to certain points depending on how much supply you can pump in and perhaps other factors in the overall situation. That was discussed with the developers more than once and is fully intended by them. The point is the attacker brings a whole crap load of supply and lots of it is wasted on penalties but they still overwhelm the defenders, mirroring real life.

With 45k SL there, they could easily put ashore 90k as long as enough supply was landed. Upon victory either pulls units out quickly or march off a bunch to chase the retreated ex-garrison.

Sure. The advantage of SL would be obvious there though if they had to keep landing supply, or initially added more supply ships, then the CD guns and other defenses would be more of a factor in gaining VPs during the invasion and support process.

There is fatigue and disruption penalty and in a case like this if the defenders were maxed and the attackers met strong forts and got a negative multiplier the first time, which would be almost inevitable, then the battle takes much longer to decide. This is the main benefit of SL from a defensive point of view. The overstocking makes each successive attack needed harder as disruption and fatigue mount.

No sense belaboring SL though since this game doesn't use them.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1116
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 7/15/2016 9:48:44 AM   
obvert

21 January, 1944

SUBS: One Allied sub attacks a retreating DD, but that's it.

SW PAC: Things quieted down for the 21st as there were few sweeps and no bombing runs on Rabaul. The Allies did send waves of SBD at Feni Islands to assist there, and the Death Star and friends moved to the middle Solomons to support the movement of the many large amphib TFs back to safe territory.

The Mutsu and Nagato continued their progress back to Yokohama, and no subs were encountered.

The Allies did commence with a DA at Rabaul. It came out a 1:1, and the base will not last long. Kaveing falls giving the Allies a great search and recon base so there will likely be no more Japanese influence in the area other than trying to get some troops out if possible.

BURMA: Interestingly, the Allied main stack here has changed direction and appears to be heading now for either Toungou or for the blocking force just outside Prome in the jungle. I would love to defend in a non-base hex in x2 terrain with dug in troops, and since there are 2k AV of very strong IJA units there now, it would take the Allies around 5k AV to challenge the position. He has that here, but if it's mostly in one hex that helps the defense, as I an hold long enough to add more to the hex if things get dicey. I have a division and a large brigade in reserve just for this reason, plus some other regimental sized units.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR January 19, 44
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Feni Islands (108,126)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 9965 troops, 211 guns, 229 vehicles, Assault Value = 257

Defending force 1626 troops, 5 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 19

Allied adjusted assault: 56

Japanese adjusted defense: 11

Allied assault odds: 5 to 1 (fort level 4)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 3

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), disruption(-), preparation(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
288 casualties reported
Squads: 12 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 12 disabled

Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
44 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
110th Combat Engineer Battalion
37th Infantry Division
612th Cst AA Rgt /1
43rd Aviation Base Force /1
76th Cst AA Rgt /3
610th Cst AA Rgt /3
47th Aviation Base Force /1

Defending units:
8th Indpt SNLF Coy
31st JAAF AF Bn
III/19th Nav Gd /2
25th Air Flotilla /1

Ground combat at Rabaul (106,125)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 61306 troops, 873 guns, 1688 vehicles, Assault Value = 2152

Defending force 28409 troops, 374 guns, 112 vehicles, Assault Value = 515

Allied engineers reduce fortifications to 4

Allied adjusted assault: 1943

Japanese adjusted defense: 985

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 4)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 4

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
3001 casualties reported
Squads: 44 destroyed, 169 disabled
Non Combat: 20 destroyed, 49 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 16 disabled
Guns lost 77 (24 destroyed, 53 disabled)
Vehicles lost 14 (9 destroyed, 5 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

Allied ground losses:
2016 casualties reported
Squads: 24 destroyed, 230 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 57 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 49 disabled
Guns lost 31 (2 destroyed, 29 disabled)
Vehicles lost 69 (8 destroyed, 61 disabled)

Assaulting units:
4th Marine Division
640th Tank Destroyer Battalion
1st Regiment
II Aus Corps Engineer Battalion
192nd Tank Battalion
2/4th Armoured Regiment
1st Army Tank Regiment
3rd Regiment
3rd Motor Brigade
2nd Australian Division
3rd Marine Division
3rd NZ Armoured Sqn
637th Tank Destroyer Battalion
1st Australian Division
767th Tank Battalion
131st Combat Engineer Regiment
194th Tank Battalion
2nd Regiment
7th Infantry Division
131st Field Artillery Battalion
114th USAAF Base Force
607th Coast AA Regiment
41st Aviation Base Force
2/16th Field Regiment
612th Coast AA Regiment
177th USAAF Base Force
98th Field Artillery Battalion
2nd RAA Jungle Regiment

Defending units:
Ikaiei SNLF
1st South Seas Det. /1
8th Garrison Unit /2
5th South Seas Det.
1st Ind.Mixed Regiment
34th Ind.Mixed Bde /1
50th JNAF Coy
13th JAAF Base Force
68th Field AA Battalion
4th Field AF Construction Battalion
38th JNAF AF Unit
1st Naval Construction Battalion
61st Field AA Battalion
43rd JNAF AF Unit
4th Fleet
Wake Cst Gun Bn /3
15th Base Force
41st Field AA Battalion
37th JNAF AF Unit
67th Field AA Battalion
25th Air Flotilla
41st Air Defense AA Regiment
Maizuru 1st SNLF /2

Ground combat at Kavieng (106,122)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 28439 troops, 370 guns, 334 vehicles, Assault Value = 801

Defending force 3581 troops, 42 guns, 29 vehicles, Assault Value = 36

Allied engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Allied adjusted assault: 493

Japanese adjusted defense: 53

Allied assault odds: 9 to 1 (fort level 2)

Allied forces CAPTURE Kavieng !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1311 casualties reported
Squads: 22 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 61 destroyed, 11 disabled
Engineers: 25 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 14 (7 destroyed, 7 disabled)
Vehicles lost 35 (35 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 3
Units destroyed 1

Allied ground losses:
38 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
33rd Infantry Division
3rd Australian Division

Defending units:
1st Ind.Tank Co
4th South Seas Det.
2nd JNAF AF Unit
75th JAAF AF Bn

Nothing much more we can do here!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1117
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 7/18/2016 5:46:32 PM   
obvert

January 22-23, 1944

GAME: The pace has slowed in the past few days. Sqz has some stuff going on with family and just wants to take time to ensure no mistakes are made that come from speed. No worries here. It's summer, we've just confirmed we're buying a house and I've got packing and projects aplenty to occupy my time. That and the usual logistics of moving like packing and utilities and setting up new ones. I plan to get the fastest internet available, which will be nice after a few years with 12-15 MB/s.

Wish I had more to report on the game, but the past two turns have been almost silent.

SUBS: Both Escolar and Cod spend 6 fish each on the Yayoi near Babeldaob, but neither get a hit.

BURMA: Still quiet. Still movement toward Toungoo or the roadblock near Prome, not sure which.

CENT PAC: Some search has been added out here. I'd like to spot some BBs heading to PH for repairs after their work in the landings. I've got subs in area already.

SO PAC: It's suddenly gone very quiet in So Pac. No attacks at Rabaul the last two turns. No sweeps. No bombing runs. No naval bombardments. Rabaul will likely fall in the next attack. I'm aiming to get a few troops out of the area, start solidifying Truk and give more to the Marianas. Two brigades are currently landing at Biak and Hollandia to strengthen that area. Cheap speed bumps, but requiring prep for sure, and might take a single division some time with good forts. Sarmi has a division. Truk needs some solid troops, but I hope to fly some pieces out and build up that way to start, then add a brigade or two. Not many Allied players like trying out the CD guns there!

Some of the 4th Marines ends up at 109,129 on a non-base hex. I’m assuming this was a mistake, but Joseph didn’t mention it. They can hike to a base from here, but it'll take a while. Torokina and Buna are both lightly held dots.

CHINA: Still moving units toward Urumchi.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR January 22, 44

Amphibious Assault at 109,129

TF 269 troops unloading over beach at 109,129

Allied ground losses:
27 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

13 troops of a USMC Rifle Squad 43 accidentally lost during unload of 4th Marine Div /17
13 troops of a USMC Rifle Squad 43 accidentally lost during unload of 4th Marine Div /17
Motorized Support lost from landing craft during unload of 4th Marine Div /18

Ground combat at Feni Islands (108,126)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 9971 troops, 211 guns, 229 vehicles, Assault Value = 258

Defending force 1439 troops, 5 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 13

Allied adjusted assault: 49

Japanese adjusted defense: 15

Allied assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 3)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), disruption(-), preparation(-)
fatigue(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
216 casualties reported
Squads: 10 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 3 disabled

Allied ground losses:
18 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Assaulting units:
110th Combat Engineer Battalion
37th Infantry Division
610th Cst AA Rgt /3
612th Cst AA Rgt /1
47th Aviation Base Force
43rd Aviation Base Force
76th Cst AA Rgt /3

Defending units:
8th Indpt SNLF Coy
III/19th Nav Gd /2
31st JAAF AF Bn
25th Air Flotilla /1

Reinforcements: The Es are starting to arrive!!

DD Hayashimo arrives at Kobe
E Kasado arrives at Tokyo
E Aguni arrives at Tokyo

I just realized this transport group upgrades to a fighter group! Now I have to decide which is more useful right now.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 7/18/2016 9:19:26 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1118
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 9/16/2016 12:15:53 AM   
obvert

Well, not on Page 3 yet. That's a surprise!

Coming back and hoping to post more in the next few days. We bought a house, have a baby on the way, and the new school year started, so its been a busy time.

Some interesting things on in game though so I'll try to do a catch up tomorrow.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1119
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 9/18/2016 12:59:20 AM   
obvert

After a whiff of movement in So Pac I decided it was time to commit forces. I had spotted what looked like CVE TFs reinforcing a recent landing at Manus or in fact landing farther on, and thought, this is the chance ...

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1120
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 9/18/2016 1:01:05 AM   
obvert

A USN sub hit an IJN DD in the night, detaching it and CLAA Tatsuta from one KB TF. Not a good start, but daylight brought better news.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1121
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 9/18/2016 1:03:31 AM   
obvert

A few good hits but flak is horrendous. It doesn't help that two groups of Jills are set to drop bombs from 10k (I think those two didn't get set for corps after being on ASW duty in the previous days. Doh!)

Still, hits began to accumulate, mostly on that most fragile of USN CVs, the Wasp.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1122
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 9/18/2016 1:05:39 AM   
obvert

A few other TB get hits, but not many, and the DBs mostly just get shredded before the release.

Then late in the strike a group of Jills gets right in on the South Dakota and hits with 3 fish from four planes!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1123
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 9/18/2016 1:07:32 AM   
obvert

A few more 500kg bombs get some penetration after that, and the BB looks in a bad way. No other CV though takes more than two hits of any kind, but some are left on fire and might need some time in a yard somewhere.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1124
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 9/18/2016 1:11:09 AM   
obvert

The afternoon began well with a few hits on small ships, but the major amphi TF at Manus with BBs embedded is not targeted at all. A mere four hexes from the KB, this omission to the targeting is a huge failure on the day. Maybe it was weather, who knows, but another BB or two damaged would have really put some pain on the Allies.

LBA Judy's flying to hit ships at Manus are met by an angry swarm of Death Star pilots and decimated.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 10/6/2016 8:44:09 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1125
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 9/18/2016 1:23:56 AM   
obvert

February 16, 1944

SO PAC: On the day too many planes are lost for the gain, but many of these are LBA, and some from planes based at Manus which fell to the Allies during the turn. The KB can fight another day, but I decided to pull back and not turn a minor victory into a major defeat.

On the day the Wasp and a few smaller DE and transports are sunk for sure, and the South Dakota is in trouble. Subs are routed in to intercept. The KB aims to retreat to Truk.

I do have a threatening surface force two hexes form Manus that magically did not get plastered by the Death Star (were his planes set to strike?) I decided not to risk those either and send them to see if they hit any remaining shipping at Manus before moving to Truk.

Feels good to get something for all of this Allied activity. The Allied CV count is sill going up quickly though, so it's unlikely this will slow him much.

GAME: We've been moving forward at a steady pace, but slower than during the summer, mainly due to my business. Joseph has been solidifying positions and seemingly testing the waters and air farther into Japanese lines.

BURMA: The Allies are manoeuvring all over central Burma, but so far haven't hit any major defensive positions. I did have to scramble to defend a force moving to the NE of Toungou on the road to Taung Gyi, but made it in time. Maps later.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR February 16, 44

Morning Air attack on TF, near Madang at 98,123

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 119 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 39 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 75
A6M5c Zero x 56
B6N1 Jill x 42
B6N2 Jill x 70
B6N2a Jill x 14
D4Y3 Judy x 129

Allied aircraft
Spitfire VIII x 32
F4U-1A Corsair x 40
F6F-3 Hellcat x 463

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5b Zero: 7 destroyed
A6M5c Zero: 3 destroyed
B6N1 Jill: 15 destroyed, 8 damaged
B6N1 Jill: 3 destroyed by flak
B6N2 Jill: 19 destroyed, 8 damaged
B6N2 Jill: 2 destroyed by flak
B6N2a Jill: 3 destroyed, 1 damaged
D4Y3 Judy: 28 destroyed, 38 damaged
D4Y3 Judy: 15 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-3 Hellcat: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
CV Intrepid, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire Fuel Storage Explosion!
CVL Monterey
CVL Cabot, Torpedo hits 1
CV Yorktown, Bomb hits 2, on fire
BB Massachusetts, Bomb hits 6, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
CV Wasp, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 6, and is sunk
CV Saratoga, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CVL Independence, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CV Bunker Hill, Bomb hits 2, on fire
CLAA Atlanta
DD Drayton
DD Meredith

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x B6N2 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet

CAP engaged:
No.75 Sqn RAAF with Spitfire VIII (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(16 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 16 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 16000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 5 minutes
No.79 Sqn RAAF with Spitfire VIII (16 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(16 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
16 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters to 11000.
Raid is overhead
16 planes vectored on to bombers
VF-3 with F6F-3 Hellcat (4 airborne, 14 on standby, 19 scrambling)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 2 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 16000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 53 minutes
26 planes vectored on to bombers
VF-42 with F6F-3 Hellcat (4 airborne, 14 on standby, 19 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 2000 and 16000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 61 minutes
25 planes vectored on to bombers
VF-6 with F4U-1A Corsair (4 airborne, 14 on standby, 20 scrambling)
2 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 16000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 39 minutes
11 planes vectored on to bombers
VF-8 with F6F-3 Hellcat (0 airborne, 13 on standby, 19 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 2 being recalled, 4 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 6000 and 16000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 58 minutes
26 planes vectored on to bombers
VF-9 with F6F-3 Hellcat (6 airborne, 14 on standby, 19 scrambling)
6 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 6000 and 17000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 59 minutes
8 planes vectored on to bombers
VF-10 with F6F-3 Hellcat (4 airborne, 14 on standby, 20 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 20000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 40 minutes
22 planes vectored on to bombers
VF-16 with F6F-3 Hellcat (4 airborne, 13 on standby, 16 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 4000 and 16000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 52 minutes
15 planes vectored on to bombers
VF-18 with F6F-3 Hellcat (6 airborne, 14 on standby, 20 scrambling)
6 plane(s) intercepting now.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 43 minutes
19 planes vectored on to bombers
VF-71 with F6F-3 Hellcat (0 airborne, 12 on standby, 17 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 1 being recalled, 4 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 3000 and 17000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 52 minutes
17 planes vectored on to bombers
VF-22 with F6F-3 Hellcat (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 10 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 15000 and 16000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 42 minutes
6 planes vectored on to bombers
VF-23 with F6F-3 Hellcat (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 10 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 10000 and 16000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 53 minutes
VF-24 with F6F-3 Hellcat (3 airborne, 8 on standby, 10 scrambling)
3 plane(s) intercepting now.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 44 minutes
6 planes vectored on to bombers
VF-30 with F6F-3 Hellcat (0 airborne, 4 on standby, 6 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 2 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 15000.
VF-31 with F6F-3 Hellcat (4 airborne, 8 on standby, 12 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 10000 and 16000.
8 planes vectored on to bombers
VF-32 with F6F-3 Hellcat (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 12 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 4 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 12000 and 16000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 54 minutes
VMF-114 with F6F-3 Hellcat (0 airborne, 6 on standby, 9 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 6000 and 16000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 54 minutes
7 planes vectored on to bombers
VMF-115 with F6F-3 Hellcat (0 airborne, 6 on standby, 9 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 3000 and 14000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 56 minutes
11 planes vectored on to bombers

Fuel storage explosion on CV Intrepid
Massive explosion on CV Wasp

Morning Air attack on TF, near Manus at 101,119

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid detected at 136 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 45 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 18
B6N1 Jill x 9
N1K2-J George x 9
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 5

Japanese aircraft losses
B6N1 Jill: 3 damaged
B6N1 Jill: 3 destroyed by flak

Allied Ships
BB Tennessee

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x B6N1 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo

Morning Air attack on TF, near Manus at 102,119

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 31 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 21
D4Y3 Judy x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
D4Y3 Judy: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied Ships
DE Tisdale, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
xAK Waipo, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DE Sederstrom, Bomb hits 4, and is sunk

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 2000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 500 kg SAP Bomb
4 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 3000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 500 kg SAP Bomb

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1126
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 10/6/2016 9:07:56 AM   
obvert

February 17, 1944

GAME: Finally some time to post again. This has been a busy time, but I hope to keep the AAR sputtering along when i can. It's still a really interesting game to me, as the Allies pick up steam I hope to see how the long preparation by Japan holds up both economically and militarily.

SO PAC: After the clash both sides retreat. My cruisers hit some small shipping around Manus but missed the big Amphib TF there. Probably for the best, as even if the got some hits in and won a battle in the night, they most likely would have gotten plastered by the Death Star during the day. The Allies move close in to New Guinea for now but appear to be heading south. No idea what has sunk and what is still afloat.

The Allies do get more landed at Madang, seemingly the purpose of the incursion by the Death Star, but the fight there was a foregone conclusion once a division was landed earlier. All of this in the South Pacific is taking time, and that is goal number one; delay.

BURMA: The Allies sweep with their best at Taung Gyi. Interesting result. They tried a mid-level sweep with Spits to start, and those did not get the results they often do, ending up at about 1:1. Then high level sweeps by Jugs crash in and those are also met well, even with 10 minutes or less radar warning time.

On the day the Allies get a bit of a bloody nose and the Japanese lose some airframes but few pilots, about a 1.5:1 ratio on the day. Taung Gyi is ready to go again for the 18th but ... all goes quiet again.

Near Taung Gyi a force of Allied divisions travelled cross country to apparently cut off Taung Gyi, but our defences made it in time. A bombardment shows even troops in +3 terrain, and our defenders are now digging in fast. No chance for the Allies to break through here without 2-3 times the troops.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR February 17, 44

Night Time Surface Combat, near Manus at 101,119, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Atago
CA Ashigara
CA Kumano
DD Kazegumo
DD Naganami
DD Tamanami
DD Onami
DD Kiyonami

Allied Ships
DE Tisdale, Shell hits 2, and is sunk

Night Time Surface Combat, near Manus at 101,119, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Atago
CA Ashigara
CA Kumano
DD Kazegumo
DD Naganami
DD Tamanami
DD Onami
DD Kiyonami

Allied Ships
xAK Waipo, Shell hits 14, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Submarine attack near Mussau Island at 105,120

Japanese Ships
SS I-159

Allied Ships
xAK Mokihana, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

xAK Mokihana is sighted by SS I-159
SS I-159 launches 8 torpedoes at xAK Mokihana

Morning Air attack on Toungoo , at 57,50

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid detected at 12 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J2M2 Jack x 15
N1K1-J George x 36
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 81
Ki-84a Frank x 18

Allied aircraft
Spitfire VIII x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
J2M2 Jack: 1 destroyed
Ki-44-IIc Tojo: 3 destroyed
Ki-84a Frank: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Spitfire VIII: 4 destroyed

CAP engaged:
252 Ku S-1 with N1K1-J George (0 airborne, 12 on standby, 0 scrambling)
6 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 9000 , scrambling fighters between 9000 and 19000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 12 minutes
Junyo-1 with N1K1-J George (0 airborne, 12 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 9000 , scrambling fighters between 9000 and 21000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 21 minutes
Hosho-1 with J2M2 Jack (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 0 scrambling)
5 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 5000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 21000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 15 minutes
11th Sentai with Ki-44-IIc Tojo (0 airborne, 14 on standby, 0 scrambling)
7 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 7000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 19000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 23 minutes
24th Sentai with Ki-44-IIc Tojo (0 airborne, 14 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 7000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 17000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 28 minutes
50th Sentai with Ki-84a Frank (0 airborne, 12 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 9000 , scrambling fighters between 9000 and 19000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 27 minutes
59th Sentai with Ki-44-IIc Tojo (0 airborne, 12 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 7000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 21000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 21 minutes
85th Sentai with Ki-44-IIc Tojo (0 airborne, 14 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 7000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 19000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 27 minutes

Raid detected at 11 NM, estimated altitude 21,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J2M2 Jack x 11
N1K1-J George x 35
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 72
Ki-84a Frank x 17

Allied aircraft
Spitfire VIII x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
J2M2 Jack: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Spitfire VIII: 4 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Spitfire VIII sweeping at 16000 feet

Raid detected at 36 NM, estimated altitude 34,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J2M2 Jack x 7
N1K1-J George x 32
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 56
Ki-84a Frank x 14

Allied aircraft
P-47D2 Thunderbolt x 19

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K1-J George: 4 destroyed
Ki-44-IIc Tojo: 5 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-47D2 Thunderbolt: 5 destroyed

Raid detected at 24 NM, estimated altitude 31,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J2M2 Jack x 6
N1K1-J George x 25
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 39
Ki-84a Frank x 10

Allied aircraft
P-47D2 Thunderbolt x 20

Japanese aircraft losses
J2M2 Jack: 1 destroyed
N1K1-J George: 1 destroyed
Ki-44-IIc Tojo: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-47D2 Thunderbolt: 3 destroyed

Raid detected at 19 NM, estimated altitude 30,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J2M2 Jack x 3
N1K1-J George x 12
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 15
Ki-84a Frank x 7

Allied aircraft
P-47D2 Thunderbolt x 20

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K1-J George: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-47D2 Thunderbolt: 3 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x P-47D2 Thunderbolt sweeping at 28000 feet

Ground combat at Urumchi (79,11)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 5228 troops, 20 guns, 355 vehicles, Assault Value = 190

Defending force 5337 troops, 2 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 36

Japanese adjusted assault: 131

Allied adjusted defense: 83

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 4)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 3

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
10 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Allied ground losses:
365 casualties reported
Squads: 53 destroyed, 15 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 6 disabled
Guns lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Assaulting units:
5th Armored Car Co
15th Tank Regiment
9th Armored Car Co
4th Cavalry Brigade
23rd Tank Regiment
2nd Tank Regiment

Defending units:
259th Brigade
303rd Brigade
19th Chinese Base Force

Ground combat at 58,49 (near Taung Gyi)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 1368 troops, 53 guns, 70 vehicles, Assault Value = 1406

Defending force 50608 troops, 688 guns, 630 vehicles, Assault Value = 1440

Allied ground losses:
30 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Assaulting units:
5th Division
32nd Ind.Mixed Brigade
2nd Tank Division
2nd RTA Division
4th RF Gun Battalion
21st Medium Field Artillery Battalion
16th AA Regiment
11th Ind.AA Gun Co
26th Air Defense AA Regiment
6th RF Gun Battalion
69th Field AA Battalion
8th Ind.Hvy.Art. Bn /3

Defending units:
Americal Infantry Division
I Aus Corps Engineer Battalion
6th Australian Division
7th Australian Division
2/9th Field Regiment
2/11th Field Regiment
2/13th Field Regiment
8th Medium Regiment

Ground combat at Madang (97,123)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 17130 troops, 216 guns, 535 vehicles, Assault Value = 533

Defending force 6147 troops, 54 guns, 3 vehicles, Assault Value = 88

Allied adjusted assault: 272

Japanese adjusted defense: 268

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 3)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
416 casualties reported
Squads: 44 destroyed, 14 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 20 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled
Guns lost 11 (1 destroyed, 10 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
10 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Assaulting units:
763rd Tank Battalion
762nd Tank Battalion
24th Infantry Division
2/11th Armoured Car Battalion
182nd USAAF Base Force

Defending units:
43rd Naval Guard Unit
Maizuru 4th SNLF
46th Naval Guard Unit
15th Naval Construction Battalion
1st South Seas Det. /2
A./50th JNAF Coy
21st Air Flotilla /1

Ground combat at Manus (101,119)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 11869 troops, 211 guns, 204 vehicles, Assault Value = 289

Defending force 951 troops, 10 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 4

Allied adjusted assault: 59

Japanese adjusted defense: 3

Allied assault odds: 19 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), disruption(-), experience(-)
supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
239 casualties reported
Squads: 8 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 16 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 6 (6 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
14 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Assaulting units:
6th Infantry Division
183rd USAAF Base Force
608th Coast AA Regiment
41st Aviation Base Force

Defending units:
2nd JAAF AF Bn

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 10/6/2016 2:01:22 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1127
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 10/6/2016 1:23:36 PM   
Canoerebel

Congrats on new baby and new house and new semester!

Your score is still pretty lopsided in favor of Japan for this date in the game. And that's a good hit on the north side of New Guinea.

I'm glad you're still posting and still enjoying your game. You keep posting, I'll keep reading.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1128
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 10/6/2016 1:41:01 PM   
obvert

February 19-23, 1944

SUBS: The KB continues to move to safety and only minor encounters with USN subs threaten it's path. I sent the dogs out around here, several good ASW TFs with the new super-Es.

BURMA: The Allies seem to to again be working toward hitting the stack of troops on the road to Taung Gyi. It is a tough spot for them to attack in that terrain, so I'll invite it and see how it goes with an eye to reinforcement by a nearby division if a lot more moves in. No more air strikes lately.

CENT PAC: Troops being pulled back from Cent Pac and to Truk and the Marianas.

SO PAC: Fuel, troops and supply are moving to the area, mostly through Babeldaob, which then will disperse the stuff on to smaller bases on smaller ships. I'm only supplying the bases I mean to try and hold. Others are now heading toward starvation mode.

Madang falls and the Japanese troops left get started toward Hansa Bay. Umber Island also succumbs to Allied pressure. Most forces in the area are being evacuated West toward Hollandia and Sarmi. The other bases on North New guinea are simply small speed bumps with a few troops. If he does attempt to take Hollandia and the bases immediately to the West there will be bigger battles.

CHINA: Urumchi falls after long march and short siege. Some of the LI/Oil is wrecked, but at least some is left that can be used out here to support the place later. We'll see if the oil will flow to Manchuria.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR February 19, 44

Ground combat at Urumchi (79,11)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 5200 troops, 20 guns, 355 vehicles, Assault Value = 187

Defending force 4795 troops, 1 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 11

Japanese adjusted assault: 357

Allied adjusted defense: 43

Japanese assault odds: 8 to 1 (fort level 3)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Urumchi !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), preparation(-)
Attacker:

Allied ground losses:
1712 casualties reported
Squads: 64 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 68 destroyed, 22 disabled
Engineers: 23 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 3

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
5th Armored Car Co
15th Tank Regiment
4th Cavalry Brigade
9th Armored Car Co
23rd Tank Regiment
2nd Tank Regiment

Defending units:
259th Brigade
303rd Brigade
19th Chinese Base Force

Ground combat at Madang (97,123)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 17170 troops, 216 guns, 535 vehicles, Assault Value = 539

Defending force 4927 troops, 37 guns, 3 vehicles, Assault Value = 26

Allied adjusted assault: 202

Japanese adjusted defense: 46

Allied assault odds: 4 to 1 (fort level 1)

Allied forces CAPTURE Madang !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), fatigue(-), morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker: fatigue(-)

Japanese ground losses:
2281 casualties reported
Squads: 53 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 68 destroyed, 15 disabled
Engineers: 29 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 26 (22 destroyed, 4 disabled)
Vehicles lost 3 (3 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 5

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
763rd Tank Battalion
762nd Tank Battalion
24th Infantry Division
2/11th Armoured Car Battalion
182nd USAAF Base Force

Defending units:
Maizuru 4th SNLF
46th Naval Guard Unit
A./50th JNAF Coy
43rd Naval Guard Unit
15th Naval Construction Battalion
21st Air Flotilla /1

Transports, including the long range high capacity Emily_L, are busy moving troops in the So Pac area. Virtually all transport groups are down here and involved. I'd love to move stuff by barge but they're just not viable for a number of reasons.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 10/6/2016 1:47:24 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1129
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 10/6/2016 1:54:07 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Your score is still pretty lopsided in favor of Japan for this date in the game. And that's a good hit on the north side of New Guinea.

I'm glad you're still posting and still enjoying your game. You keep posting, I'll keep reading.

Thanks Dan! Great to see you in here. I've been enjoying the process of getting ready for a family. It's a big year for us, and with a due date in January it's coming right up. Very happy with it all though.

The score is pretty good still, and I've been trying to really think about VPs this game, maximising opportunities and reducing needless losses. I shirked the VP game in my first time through because I didn't really understand how useful a measure it is of game progress. It's a way to stay engaged for a Japanese player too, once things get dire.

After Joseph took over he really got the Allies moving in a meaningful way, and I hope we can keep it up steadily right to the end. I want to top my previous endurance point of July 45.

I'll post some pics soon to give a better idea of what is going on.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1130
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 10/6/2016 2:22:08 PM   
obvert

February 25-26, 1944

SUBS: My subs retreat from So Pac to fix their holes after a fruitless attempt to cash in on damage from the CV engagement earlier. Joseph is doing something right with his ASW, because I can't even get a sighting of a major combat ship or amphib, let alone a hit.

BURMA: Our two arty units get kicked out of a jungle hex into another jungle hex by an African brigade. This unit is now heading into the Taung Gyi road blocking hex we are holding. Maybe he is planning to try to encircle by then adding more to the South? I've got the IJA 2nd division watching that end of the road, and it'll take a month to move into the hex from any position the Allies have access to, so I am not to concerned yet. Still worried about invasions on the coastline, and I recently moved a tank division to Moulmein to watch the rear along with several brigades down the Burmese coast. I'll keep back-filling though because the Allies start to get a lot of amphib capability around now. I do also have several reserve divisions that can be moved in within a week or two.

CENT PAC: Lots of recon on Tabiteuaea. Something coming?

SO PAC: The Allies bomb around on New Guinea dn our LR CAP is ineffective.

CHINA: All areas are digging now. I have some strategic fortifications building on likely choke points for later in 45 when the Allies move through. I've got a lot of supply here and I'm spending it on forts.

A pic of the recent Allied conquests in So Pac.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 10/6/2016 2:24:24 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1131
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 10/6/2016 4:53:30 PM   
crsutton

quote:

Actually a good candidate to go into late 45 or 46 which would be fun to see. A good idea is to just leave the Russians out of it and see what the other Allies can do.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1132
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 10/7/2016 9:52:54 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

quote:

Actually a good candidate to go into late 45 or 46 which would be fun to see. A good idea is to just leave the Russians out of it and see what the other Allies can do.

The Russians will be out of it until the usual release date for them. I certainly am not planning an attack there!

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 1133
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 10/7/2016 10:04:38 AM   
obvert

Here is a shot of Burma with approximate force distributions.

The majority of the Allies are hanging out in the Central valleys and along the Arakan (heavy on Chinese troops on that side). He hasn't so far advanced on Prome. If he did go that way I'd move in about another 1000AV and with the 6 forts the massed Chinese might not like a river crossing there.

I'm waiting to see where the forces in the main valleys go until I engineer a pull-back of forces from Taung Gyi. I have some ideas about what I'd like to have happen, but of course not what happened last time I faced a mass of Allied troops in Burma in a non-SL game.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 1134
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 10/7/2016 12:14:20 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

CHINA: Urumchi falls after long march and short siege. Some of the LI/Oil is wrecked, but at least some is left that can be used out here to support the place later. We'll see if the oil will flow to Manchuria.

Should be able to ... I can generally maintain Urumchi at less than 3000 oil

Pax

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1135
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 10/7/2016 12:19:05 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

I'd love to move stuff by barge but they're just not viable for a number of reasons.

Why? Barges would save you a lot of supply ... air transport is just so expensive in terms of supply that I only use them in emergencies ... I try to avoid in all non-emergency situations like this.

Pax

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1136
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 10/7/2016 12:33:43 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

Here is a shot of Burma with approximate force distributions.

I'm waiting to see where the forces in the main valleys go until I engineer a pull-back of forces from Taung Gyi. I have some ideas about what I'd like to have happen, but of course not what happened last time I faced a mass of Allied troops in Burma in a non-SL game.

As I've mentioned before, I HATE Burma ...

You've got a lot of force stuck out there in South Burma ... Prome/Rangoon is all clear terrain, not matter your fort level, it is very easy to take ... fast.

As an allied player, I'm looking at your map thinking "Sweet, 9000AV of his best troops in a bag all ready to harvest." Just saying ... be careful. Burma only keeps the DEI safe and you've only got a few more months of that in any case ... don't overstay this area. You know you need to contract your MLR significantly to hold and you can't afford to lose any of these units ...

Just my thoughts ... I really do hate Burma

Pax

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1137
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 10/7/2016 4:15:14 PM   
Andav

Hi Overt,

Glad you are posting again!

I agree with Pax about Burma both in hating it and you needing to bug out a bit. Even if you contract all the way into Thailand, that would be ok at this point. I still twitch a bit thinking what witpqs did to my Burma defense. It was working so well until he dropped a bunch of units at Pegu ... <twitch>

Wa

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 1138
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 10/7/2016 5:01:36 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

Should be able to ... I can generally maintain Urumchi at less than 3000 oil

I can't. Mine remains at 49700 or whatever the maximum storage minus 1 day's of refinery production is. It ships out only small amounts and infrequently (about once per week, and only about 2000 or so).

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 1139
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 10/8/2016 7:55:36 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

I'd love to move stuff by barge but they're just not viable for a number of reasons.

Why? Barges would save you a lot of supply ... air transport is just so expensive in terms of supply that I only use them in emergencies ... I try to avoid in all non-emergency situations like this.

Too easy to detect and destroy where I need to move troops right now. I'd also need more fuel, (not much of course, but enough to also cause some trouble in getting it there).

I agree it's expensive, but I use it in spots, and to get some of these troops back now it's a bit easier with the Tabby and Emily-L online with their massive capacity.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 1140
Page:   <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI