Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) Page: <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 3/8/2017 1:21:30 PM   
Andav

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

After looking at those pictures of Burma, my head hurts. Was that the intention?

I think it was to make Obvert's head hurt. And yours and mine and everyone else's! Objective achieved!

Wa

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1381
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 3/8/2017 3:04:30 PM   
Lokasenna

Non-base landings:

In my experience using them on accident, you can expect anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 the devices to be disabled on the beach. In a few cases, I've lost enough devices to gift my opponent double-digit VPs.

(in reply to Andav)
Post #: 1382
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 3/8/2017 3:52:45 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Non-base landings:

In my experience using them on accident, you can expect anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 the devices to be disabled on the beach. In a few cases, I've lost enough devices to gift my opponent double-digit VPs.

I wish the game would allow a bit more leniency with these, but I figured as much. I guess it's to keep players from landing in areas that weren't viable at all even if some other spots that are not base hexes on map would have had nice long soft undefended beaches.

Puts a damper on commando and raider ops though. I forget, do the non-base invasions appear in the combat report for both players? (I seem to remember they do, which of course makes them doubly useless for surprise or behind the lines ops).

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/8/2017 3:55:15 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1383
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 3/8/2017 4:16:29 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

Non-base landings:

I wish the game would allow a bit more leniency with these, but I figured as much. I guess it's to keep players from landing in areas that weren't viable at all even if some other spots that are not base hexes on map would have had nice long soft undefended beaches.

Puts a damper on commando and raider ops though. I forget, do the non-base invasions appear in the combat report for both players? (I seem to remember they do, which of course makes them doubly useless for surprise or behind the lines ops).

Yes, as they are part of the combat report text file as well.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1384
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 3/8/2017 6:35:42 PM   
Andav

I dropped a good part of a division at a coastal hex about 3 hexes south of the hex I wanted to invade. It was my staging hex where everyone was told to go and wait. I had the TFs set to Unload. The game dutifully did exactly what I told it to do.

Wa

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1385
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 3/8/2017 6:43:41 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

Left ? right ? up ? down ? Burma wurma nakamura *tuuuuuuuuuut* !?!?!?!

(in reply to Andav)
Post #: 1386
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 3/8/2017 9:00:17 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

Left ? right ? up ? down ? Burma wurma nakamura *tuuuuuuuuuut* !?!?!?!

I know, right? I looks they're doing some Scottish Country Dances over the Irrawaddy.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 1387
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 3/8/2017 10:58:03 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andav

I dropped a good part of a division at a coastal hex about 3 hexes south of the hex I wanted to invade. It was my staging hex where everyone was told to go and wait. I had the TFs set to Unload. The game dutifully did exactly what I told it to do.

Wa

This is why I always set to Do Not Unload until D-Day, because while routing on the way in to the beach, the last thing I am looking at is whether or not the hex I'm staging through has any speck of land in it.

(in reply to Andav)
Post #: 1388
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 3/9/2017 11:07:21 AM   
obvert

The game has sputtered the past few days. I had a long dad's night, then Sqz had some commitments, and today I finally got a turn. Trouble was it is the same turn we've already played, but now a new file. I think he went back to an earlier email and played through it again. when I ran it the combat report was different.

I decided I wanted to stick to the continuity of game version, as I don't even remember what I did that turn, so sent it back to him to do again. We'll see what happens.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1389
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 3/9/2017 12:41:14 PM   
Lowpe

I have done that before at least once -- I was traveling and watched the AAR on one computer, got to the hotel with a different computer and forgot to paste in the new save.

(in reply to Andav)
Post #: 1390
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 3/14/2017 10:48:32 PM   
obvert

July 24-26, 1944

SW PAC: The game is rolling again. Lots of activity around Aitape. I've been pulling troops out slowly, and by the time of the next attack hope to have it nearly empty. No sense losing troops this far forward for no reason. I've already stalled two DA attempts here and that is plenty.

Still trying to send just a bit more supply to Hollandia. Probably this will be the last top up.

BURMA: Well, the main stack went back to Meiktila, then looks to have turned to Magwe. Another set of units has moved down the road from Magwe toward the blocking hex near Prome. Very odd. See maps. Time will tell. Maybe.

All of my reinforcements will arrive in the next week to replace the Thais. I'll lose about 500 AV in the trade though, so it i a delicate time. Nice that his troops look to be heading gate other way!

OZ: Remaining fragments of units that were in Darwin get bombed mercilessly. No use of Darwin yet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR July 25, 44
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Morning Air attack on Woleai , at 101,103

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid spotted at 38 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K2-J George x 3
Ki-100-I Tony x 5

Allied aircraft
B-24D1 Liberator x 18
B-24J Liberator x 23

Japanese aircraft losses
B7A2 Grace: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D1 Liberator: 1 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 1 destroyed, 6 damaged

Airbase hits 5
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 24

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x B-24D1 Liberator bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Ground combat at Aitape (95,118)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 4693 troops, 60 guns, 43 vehicles, Assault Value = 143

Defending force 1053 troops, 6 guns, 5 vehicles, Assault Value = 17

Allied adjusted assault: 65

Japanese adjusted defense: 17

Allied assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 3)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker: leaders(+), leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
78 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 1 disabled

Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
17 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
3rd Australian Brigade

Defending units:
1st South Seas Det.
54th JNAF AF Unit
4th JAAF AF Bn /2
43rd JNAF AF Unit /1

The Frank Ki-84b is now producing!!! Really looking forward to trying out this plane. This will bring Frank production to around 200 total between the a and b models. The r will likely arrive in December 44.

The J2M5 will begin producing in a few days, and the N1K5 will start up most likely in November 44, so lots of great planes coming soon.

Also just getting the Dinah KAI NF which opens two new NF group paths. The Randy Ki-102b is also online to update the FB groups.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1391
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 3/15/2017 6:18:04 PM   
obvert

New Airframes

This is going to be an interesting month as a lot of new stuff is arriving.

The main event is the Ki-84b. Not faster. Not less service. Not more manoeuvrable. But ...

... it has the CL 20mm cannons! That is huge.

This should be the bomber killer of the rest of the war. I think in the low CAP it could be a very good top level plane as well, really getting in and kicking stuff down with a few good 20mm shells.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1392
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 3/17/2017 2:47:07 PM   
obvert

July 27-31, 1944

SW PAC: A failed attempt to target a convoy heading for Ponape loses me 3 old DDs as they don't get out of air strike range in time. I've got to stop that now. I'll let him come to me as I can't afford useless losses to the DD fleet. Lots of 27 knot late DDs arriving, but they're not so good, so even these Mutsukis are a tough loss now.

The Allies take an almost empty Aitape. Now it's getting close to Hollandia. We'll see what he does. Will the big invasion come soon, or is a bypass in order?

B-24s again bomb Wolei, and we had a LR CAP set up. Get about 2 Libs and trade some shots with the sweeping P-38s. He's also doing some night bombing of Truk with slight effect.

BURMA: The big event of the week is a strike on the Allied base at Silchar. i'd been reconning some of the NE India bases and noticed that both Dimapur and Silchar had LOTS of planes on the round but few to no fighters and not too many guns listed. Japanese recon is not always reliable, but I got the same reading over several days. Then stood down, got bombers in place, and let fly on the 31st.

Around 100 Helens took part and hit Silchar, destroying about 50 planes on the ground and damaging lots of others, with 82 hits to the fields.

Lost a few fighters to ops, but no CAP was up and didn't lose a single bomber on the day! The only downside is that the 50 Peggys tasked with striking Dimapur did not fly from Chengtu. Oh, well. I can handle that.

I expect reprisals soon.

The only other issue of note is the ground situation in Burma. The main stack has moved out of Magwe now and is pointing toward the Arakan coastline. But, this could be a path to Prome, which is vulnerable as a clear hex. We'll see where these 430k + troops go next.

My ground forces are well placed, but the Thais have just withdrawn. This takes 1,500AV of decently experienced troops off the map now (some of which had dug in to forts 4 in their blocking hexes). I've got some inexperienced IJA brigades taking their places.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR July 27, 44

Night Time Surface Combat, near Ponape at 120,114, Range 10,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Mutsuki
DD Kisaragi
DD Yayoi
DD Uzuki

Allied Ships
ACM Picket, Shell hits 18, heavy fires, heavy damage

Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 50% moonlight: 11,000 yards

Morning Air attack on TF, near Saumlaki at 78,117

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid spotted at 15 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Allied aircraft
SB2U-3 Vindicator x 15

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
xAKL Sunten Maru, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
PB Kaiyo Maru #1, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
xAKL Tainichi Maru, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x SB2U-3 Vindicator releasing from 4000' *
Naval Attack: 1 x 500 lb SAP Bomb

Morning Air attack on TF, near Ponape at 119,115

Raid detected at 69 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 30 minutes

Allied aircraft
SB2C-3 Helldiver x 22

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
DD Mutsuki
DD Kisaragi, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Yayoi
DD Uzuki, Bomb hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x SB2C-3 Helldiver releasing from 3000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 1000 lb SAP Bomb, 2 x 250 lb SAP Bomb

Morning Air attack on TF, near Ponape at 119,115

Raid detected at 43 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 19 minutes

Allied aircraft
TBM-1C Avenger x 17

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
DD Mutsuki, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Uzuki, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

DD Yayoi

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x TBM-1C Avenger launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 22in Mk 13 Torpedo

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR July 31, 44

Morning Air attack on Silchar , at 59,39

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 10 NM, estimated altitude 35,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 35
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar x 31

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:
35 x N1K1-J George sweeping at 31000 feet *

Morning Air attack on Silchar , at 59,39

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 79 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 24 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar x 39
Ki-49-IIa Helen x 37
Ki-49-IIb Helen x 61

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-49-IIa Helen: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
B-25D1 Mitchell: 11 damaged
B-25D1 Mitchell: 5 destroyed on ground
B-25C Mitchell: 26 damaged
B-25C Mitchell: 2 destroyed on ground
C-47 Skytrain: 119 damaged
C-47 Skytrain: 16 destroyed on ground
B-25D Mitchell: 26 damaged
B-25D Mitchell: 3 destroyed on ground
C-46A Commando: 24 damaged
C-46A Commando: 2 destroyed on ground
B-25C Mitchell: 31 damaged
B-25C Mitchell: 4 destroyed on ground
F-5A Lightning: 3 damaged
Spitfire VIII: 10 damaged

Allied ground losses:
9 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Airbase hits 37
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 82

Aircraft Attacking:
37 x Ki-49-IIa Helen bombing from 10000 feet
Airfield Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
36 x Ki-49-IIb Helen bombing from 10000 feet
25 x Ki-49-IIb Helen bombing from 10000 feet

Here are the results. Not bad for Japanese bombing in 44!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/17/2017 2:53:20 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1393
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 3/20/2017 12:55:32 PM   
obvert

August 1-4, 1944

SW PAC: Not much happening here until the 4th, then all hell broke loose. The Allies send in the biggest sweep combos yet seen. Sqz flew massive LR CAP and three sweeps at different altitudes toward Hollandia. Although we take the worst of it, the Allies probably get 1.5:1 on the day and lose around 17 P-47D25. Our Ki-100s take the brunt, losing 20+. I'll stay one more day at least here as the groups aren't too banged up. I'm flying in one more small 27 plane N1K2 group to get numbers back to 250. We'll see if the bombers come tomorrow.

BURMA: The big stack looks to be stationary in Magwe after a long walk from near Toungoo. Some units are out in front of the base and now pointing toward Ramree and the Arakan. I've built up the block on the Magwe road and I'm positioning more units to fill in behind Toungoo for quick deployment there if needed. I've got a reserve division heading to Moulmein to make two there. I'll hope to discourage landing behind the lines with these and the other units down the coast.

OZ: Darwin has not been invested by the Allies. I like that. We can wait here in stasis as long as needed, just sending oil and fuel back and storing up supply while the new airframes build up pools.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR August 4, 44

Morning Air attack on Hollandia , at 93,116

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 41,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 30 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J2M3 Jack x 36
N1K2-J George x 45
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 49
Ki-84a Frank x 49
Ki-100-I Tony x 49

Allied aircraft
P-38L Lightning x 21
P-40N5 Warhawk x 12
P-47D25 Thunderbolt x 66
P-51B Mustang x 21
F4U-1 Corsair x 4
F4U-1A Corsair x 39

Japanese aircraft losses
J2M3 Jack: 1 destroyed
N1K2-J George: 3 destroyed
Ki-43-IV Oscar: 3 destroyed
Ki-84a Frank: 1 destroyed
Ki-100-I Tony: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-38L Lightning: 1 destroyed
P-47D25 Thunderbolt: 3 destroyed
P-51B Mustang: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x F4U-1A Corsair sweeping at 36000 feet *

CAP engaged:
Yokosuka Ku S-2 with N1K2-J George (0 airborne, 22 on standby, 13 scrambling)
10 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 9000 , scrambling fighters between 9000 and 35300.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 37 minutes
S-316 Hikotai with J2M3 Jack (0 airborne, 12 on standby, 18 scrambling)
6 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 7000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 38380.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 38 minutes
18th Sentai with Ki-100-I Tony (0 airborne, 23 on standby, 15 scrambling)
11 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 7000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 36090.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 35 minutes
71st Sentai with Ki-43-IV Oscar (0 airborne, 17 on standby, 24 scrambling)
8 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 5000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 36810.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 41 minutes
87th Sentai with Ki-84a Frank (0 airborne, 23 on standby, 15 scrambling)
11 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 9000 , scrambling fighters between 9000 and 34440.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 42 minutes

Raid detected at 78 NM, estimated altitude 19,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 29 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J2M3 Jack x 31
N1K2-J George x 38
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 39
Ki-84a Frank x 42
Ki-100-I Tony x 37

Allied aircraft
Thunderbolt I x 7
Spitfire VIII x 21
P-38L Lightning x 63
P-40N5 Warhawk x 12
P-47D25 Thunderbolt x 60
F4U-1 Corsair x 16
F4U-1A Corsair x 32
F6F-3 Hellcat x 27

Japanese aircraft losses
J2M3 Jack: 2 destroyed
Ki-100-I Tony: 5 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Spitfire VIII: 1 destroyed
P-47D25 Thunderbolt: 2 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x F4U-1A Corsair sweeping at 15000 feet *

CAP engaged:
Yokosuka Ku S-2 with N1K2-J George (3 airborne, 10 on standby, 6 scrambling)
3 plane(s) intercepting now.
19 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 9000 , scrambling fighters between 9000 and 45000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 29 minutes
S-316 Hikotai with J2M3 Jack (0 airborne, 6 on standby, 15 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 7000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 44000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 29 minutes
18th Sentai with Ki-100-I Tony (0 airborne, 9 on standby, 15 scrambling)
13 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 7000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 44000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 35 minutes
71st Sentai with Ki-43-IV Oscar (0 airborne, 5 on standby, 24 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 5000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 45000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 94 minutes
87th Sentai with Ki-84a Frank (0 airborne, 12 on standby, 12 scrambling)
18 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 9000 , scrambling fighters between 9000 and 46000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 34 minutes

Raid detected at 50 NM, estimated altitude 33,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 18 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J2M3 Jack x 23
N1K2-J George x 32
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 37
Ki-84a Frank x 39
Ki-100-I Tony x 25

Allied aircraft
Thunderbolt I x 7
Spitfire VIII x 38
P-38L Lightning x 18
P-40N5 Warhawk x 23
P-47D25 Thunderbolt x 53
F4U-1A Corsair x 64
F6F-3 Hellcat x 37

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K2-J George: 1 destroyed
Ki-43-IV Oscar: 1 destroyed
Ki-100-I Tony: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40N5 Warhawk: 1 destroyed
F6F-3 Hellcat: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x F4U-1A Corsair sweeping at 31000 feet *

CAP engaged:
Yokosuka Ku S-2 with N1K2-J George (2 airborne, 2 on standby, 8 scrambling)
2 plane(s) intercepting now.
12 plane(s) not yet engaged, 5 being recalled, 3 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 9000 , scrambling fighters between 9000 and 41000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 45 minutes
S-316 Hikotai with J2M3 Jack (0 airborne, 3 on standby, 6 scrambling)
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 7 being recalled, 3 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 7000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 44000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 44 minutes
18th Sentai with Ki-100-I Tony (0 airborne, 3 on standby, 6 scrambling)
12 plane(s) not yet engaged, 1 being recalled, 3 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 7000 , scrambling fighters between 16000 and 44000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 51 minutes
71st Sentai with Ki-43-IV Oscar (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 24 scrambling)
8 plane(s) not yet engaged, 5 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 5000 , scrambling fighters between 14000 and 46000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 26 minutes
87th Sentai with Ki-84a Frank (3 airborne, 6 on standby, 18 scrambling)
10 plane(s) not yet engaged, 2 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 9000 , scrambling fighters between 9000 and 46000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 26 minutes

Not bad for the day.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1394
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 3/20/2017 5:13:36 PM   
obvert

Burma

Here is a current view of the big stack in Magwe. The units one hex out of Magwe have been giving the strange multi-movement indicators for a while now. It's less than 33k though so it doesn't worry me unless some of the 74 units in Magwe join up.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/20/2017 5:15:00 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1395
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 3/20/2017 6:11:22 PM   
witpqs

More than 400,000 - it looks like your decimal point has popped a rivet!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1396
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 3/21/2017 4:33:24 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

More than 400,000 - it looks like your decimal point has popped a rivet!

Too many numbers in one hex.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1397
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 3/30/2017 10:20:16 AM   
obvert

August 5-8, 1944

SW PAC: Got some NF into it at Truk and hit a few B-24s. The night strikes stopped after that.

Maleolap and Kusai are taken by the Allies with massive force.

BURMA: The Allied Mega-Army recently moved to Magwe and now seems to be heading back to Meiktila according to movement arrows. I'll prep units and set some false movements myself just in case. Very unsure what to make of this.

DEI: The beasts have arrived!!! B-29s make their first strike against Boela. The oil there is now wrecked.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR August 5, 44

Night Air attack on Truk , at 112,108

Raid detected at 61 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 21 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J1N1-Sa Irving x 12

Allied aircraft
B-24D1 Liberator x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
J1N1-Sa Irving: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D1 Liberator: 1 destroyed, 4 damaged
B-24D1 Liberator: 1 destroyed by flak

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x B-24D1 Liberator bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR August 8, 44

Morning Air attack on Boela , at 80,110

Raid detected at 34 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-29-1 Superfort x 13

No Allied losses

Oil hits 4

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x B-29-1 Superfort bombing from 8000 feet
City Attack: 20 x 500 lb GP Bomb
5 x B-29-1 Superfort bombing from 8000 feet
5 x B-29-1 Superfort bombing from 8000 feet

It looks like the Massive stack here is shifting either to move down the yellow road to Chang Mai area or back down toward the gap between Toungoo and Chang Mai. Maybe to head through the rough to Chang Mai there? Who knows. Shifting troops to set a block and hopefully control hex sides that would give access to the Chang Mai option.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1398
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 4/5/2017 10:51:19 AM   
obvert

August 9-13, 1944

GAME: Oh, no. I've gotten page 2ed again! Good to see the forum active!

The game is still chugging along but not too much is happening. I wish I had more to report. There is one fairly big event, but that will be next post. I love this game, and want to test my defences and preparation for the end, so I'll keep at it until the Allies are sufficiently prepared to risk a big move forward.

SW PAC: Some Allied subs were caught hanging around the same hexes too long. I've got good ASW air here, but he Es really knocked em around on the 10th. Looks like two subs down judging by the direct hit messages on the second, plus Joseph's response. He's not pleased.

BURMA: This area continues to see shifting of the major Allied Army around the central valley. They've now gone to the Taung Gyi area, and the IJA has set up a block next to Toungoo. The big stack seems to move much more slowly than my forces. Some tanks have come out ahead onto the road one hex from Taung Gyi, but stalled and allowed the IJA to move into the adjacent hex, making it less likely to use deceptive movement to threaten Toungoo and Chang Mai simultaneously, which was my fear on this axis.

The Chindits tried one attack against the naval guard that share the hex with them deep in the jungles, but with a 1:2 result and equal losses. No air was used to soften things up for the Allies, and I feel pretty worried that 4Es could change the outcome significantly here. he hasn't swept to test the waters yet.

On the 13th 30 Wellingtons hit Prome and cause little damage, while getting 16 damaged. The Flak seems to be working here!

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR August 10, 44

Submarine attack near Sarmi at 91,113

Japanese Ships
E No.30
E No.25

Allied Ships
SS Pargo, hits 17, and is sunk

SS Pargo is sighted by escort
Pargo diving deep ....
E No.30 attacking submerged sub ....
SS Pargo forced to surface!
E No.30 firing on surfaced sub ....
Sub slips beneath the waves

Sub attack near Sarmi at 91,113

Japanese Ships
E No.25
E No.30

Allied Ships
SS Trout, hits 6

SS Trout launches 6 torpedoes at E No.25
Trout diving deep ....
E No.30 fails to find sub, continues to search...
E No.30 attacking submerged sub ....
Escort abandons search for sub

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR August 11, 44

Ground combat at 59,50 (near Toungoo)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 2993 troops, 39 guns, 18 vehicles, Assault Value = 109

Defending force 1863 troops, 19 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 63

Allied adjusted assault: 45

Japanese adjusted defense: 106

Allied assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), fatigue(-)
Attacker: leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
114 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 14 disabled

Allied ground losses:
49 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 13 disabled

Assaulting units:
14th Chindit Brigade

Defending units:
Yokosuka 2nd SNLF

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR August 13, 44

Morning Air attack on 2nd Tank Division, at 55,50 (Prome)

Raid detected at 52 NM, estimated altitude 25,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 19 minutes

Allied aircraft
Wellington B.X x 30

Allied aircraft losses
Wellington B.X: 16 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
11 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x Wellington B.X bombing from 20000 feet
Ground Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Also attacking 5th Division ...

It looks like the Allied army is turning around again? Can't be sure, as the movement form TaungGyi is not clear, and this could be deception, but I'll start shifting back around again!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 4/6/2017 5:14:23 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1399
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 4/5/2017 3:16:14 PM   
witpqs

Bombers, especially 4E will certainly make a difference but in the jungle their effect is greatly muted.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1400
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 4/5/2017 3:32:21 PM   
Andav

quote:

Bombers, especially 4E will certainly make a difference but in the jungle their effect is greatly muted.

If a bomb falls in the jungle and no one is around does it still go ?

Wa

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1401
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 4/5/2017 3:39:49 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

I bomb anyway, even if I'm getting no casualties, unless there is heavy enough AA to cause damage. I have the supply to burn and doing so keeps disruption/fatigue higher and morale lower. All good things.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1402
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 4/5/2017 4:53:49 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

I bomb anyway, even if I'm getting no casualties, unless there is heavy enough AA to cause damage. I have the supply to burn and doing so keeps disruption/fatigue higher and morale lower. All good things.

Does disruption/fatigue of LCUs still increase with no hits and no casualties? Inquiring minds want to know. E.g. LCUs switch to combat mode only when suffering direct hits and casualties, even if disablements

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1403
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 4/5/2017 4:54:36 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

Yes!

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1404
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 4/5/2017 4:56:22 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

Wa

I once tried the tree falling query variant on the wife unit => not amused!

"If a man says something in the forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?"

(in reply to Andav)
Post #: 1405
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 4/5/2017 4:56:58 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

Does disruption/fatigue of LCUs still increase with no hits and no casualties? Inquiring minds want to know. E.g. LCUs switch to combat mode only when suffering direct hits and casualties, even if disablements

I don't know. I think they still burn supply.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 1406
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 4/5/2017 5:57:31 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

I don't know. I think they still burn supply.

If the unit fires AA at the plane(s), yes. Another reason to bomb, but not a guaranteed reason - not all units have AA.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1407
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 4/5/2017 6:54:56 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wa

I once tried the tree falling query variant on the wife unit => not amused!

"If a man says something in the forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?"

My wife would agree.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1408
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 4/7/2017 8:22:22 AM   
obvert

August 14-16, 1944

SW PAC: The Allies get serious about Hollandia it seems. First a bombardment run goes in on the 14th torching the fields and getting some decent hits on the fighters here. The groups moral luckily stays high, and I keep them up for the next turns. This could have been devastating if followed the same turn by massive LR CAP and bombing runs. It would have been painful, but likely could break the CAP down and close up the shop.

Instead sweeps came in the day after, on the 15ht, and got hit hard again. This time Sqz set them lower, and the results were similar to the high sweeps except somehow the Spits also suffered. Maybe since the CAP wasn't as spread out they could concentrate on each wave? Not entirely sure, but interesting, as I now have to think about this for my Allied game.

The Allies lose a chunk of good fighters (and probably pilots) on the day. About 1:1.5 in favour of the Allies, but only 12 pilots KIA for the Japanese, and our 80+ studs just got stronger. Some groups are nearly all yellow 80s now!

BURMA: Still shifting around. Looks like there could be some movement now to the NE, going up the long yellow road to Chang Mai? We'll see. I've set some units to strat and will head around and back with just enough to cover if that is the case. I have a division blocking th driver crossing with 4 forts, and if he sends the entire army, it'll likely get vaporised, but might take out a lot of Allied troops with it!

OZ: Wyndham is taken, allowing more cover for Darwin should the Allies reinvest there. It's been worth it to reinvade, in spite of my usual stance in not doing that for the Japanese this late, but it's keep the threat of Darwin becoming a strat bombing base much reduced. Now I have J2M5 and Ki-84b filling out groups which will station in places like Soerabaja and Balikpapan.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR August 14, 44

Night Naval bombardment of Hollandia at 93,116

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IV Oscar: 26 damaged
Ki-43-IV Oscar: 1 destroyed on ground
J2M3 Jack: 24 damaged
J2M3 Jack: 1 destroyed on ground
N1K2-J George: 33 damaged
N1K2-J George: 2 destroyed on ground
Ki-100-I Tony: 19 damaged
Ki-100-I Tony: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-84a Frank: 14 damaged
Ki-84a Frank: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied Ships
CA Minneapolis
CA Astoria

Japanese ground losses:
224 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 16 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled
Guns lost 15 (1 destroyed, 14 disabled)

Airbase hits 17
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 41

OS2U-3 Kingfisher acting as spotter for CA Minneapolis
CA Minneapolis firing at Hollandia
CA Astoria firing at Hollandia

Morning Air attack on TF, near Hollandia at 93,116

Raid spotted at 1 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 0 minutes

Japanese aircraft
D4Y3 Judy x 26
J2M3 Jack x 4
N1K2-J George x 16
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 34
Ki-84a Frank x 9
Ki-100-I Tony x 11

Japanese aircraft losses
D4Y3 Judy: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
YMS-134, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
YMS-119, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
YMS-393, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
YMS BYMS-2018, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 2000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 500 kg SAP Bomb
5 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 1000'
16 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 10000'

Massive explosion on YMS-393
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR August 1, 44

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 38 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J2M3 Jack x 16
N1K2-J George x 45
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 19
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 8
Ki-84a Frank x 23
Ki-100-I Tony x 30

Allied aircraft
P-47D25 Thunderbolt x 20

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K2-J George: 2 destroyed
Ki-43-IV Oscar: 2 destroyed
Ki-44-IIc Tojo: 3 destroyed
Ki-100-I Tony: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-47D25 Thunderbolt: 4 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x P-47D25 Thunderbolt sweeping at 15000 feet *

CAP engaged:
Yokosuka Ku S-1 with N1K2-J George (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 9 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 9000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 9000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 5 minutes
Yokosuka Ku S-2 with N1K2-J George (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 0 scrambling)
5 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 9000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 19000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 25 minutes
S-316 Hikotai with J2M3 Jack (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 0 scrambling)
3 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 7000 , scrambling fighters between 12000 and 18000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 27 minutes
S-602 Hikotai with J2M3 Jack (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 5 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 1 minutes
S-306 Hikotai with N1K2-J George (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 7 out of immediate contact.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 31 minutes
S-407 Hikotai with N1K2-J George (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 7000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 15000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 24 minutes
18th Sentai with Ki-100-I Tony (0 airborne, 14 on standby, 0 scrambling)
7 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 9000 , scrambling fighters between 9000 and 19000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 11 minutes
55th Sentai with Ki-100-I Tony (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 9 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 7000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 7000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 3 minutes
71st Sentai with Ki-43-IV Oscar (0 airborne, 13 on standby, 0 scrambling)
6 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 5000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 15000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 24 minutes
73rd Sentai with Ki-44-IIc Tojo (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 8 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 5000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 5000.
Raid is overhead
87th Sentai with Ki-84a Frank (0 airborne, 16 on standby, 0 scrambling)
7 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 9000 , scrambling fighters between 9000 and 19000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 28 minutes

Morning Air attack on Vanimo , at 93,117

Raid spotted at 46 NM, estimated altitude 19,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K2-J George x 7
Ki-100-I Tony x 6

Allied aircraft
Spitfire Vc Trop x 8
P-47D25 Thunderbolt x 20

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-47D25 Thunderbolt: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x P-47D25 Thunderbolt sweeping at 15000 feet

CAP engaged:
S-306 Hikotai with N1K2-J George (7 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(7 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
7 plane(s) intercepting now.
Raid is overhead
55th Sentai with Ki-100-I Tony (6 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(9 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
6 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 7000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 7000.
Raid is overhead

Raid detected at 11 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J2M3 Jack x 14
N1K2-J George x 31
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 11
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 4
Ki-84a Frank x 22
Ki-100-I Tony x 16

Allied aircraft
P-47D25 Thunderbolt x 19
P-51B Mustang x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K2-J George: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-47D25 Thunderbolt: 5 destroyed

Raid detected at 13 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J2M3 Jack x 11
N1K2-J George x 28
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 9
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 4
Ki-84a Frank x 18
Ki-100-I Tony x 14

Allied aircraft
P-47D25 Thunderbolt x 20

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-47D25 Thunderbolt: 5 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x P-47D25 Thunderbolt sweeping at 12000 feet *

Afternoon Air attack on Hollandia , at 93,116

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid detected at 49 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
J2M3 Jack x 14
N1K2-J George x 34
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 15
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 7
Ki-84a Frank x 20
Ki-100-I Tony x 24

Allied aircraft
Spitfire VIII x 18

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
Spitfire VIII: 3 destroyed

Raid detected at 10 NM, estimated altitude 19,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
J2M3 Jack x 12
N1K2-J George x 27
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 15
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 7
Ki-84a Frank x 16
Ki-100-I Tony x 18

Allied aircraft
Spitfire VIII x 19
P-51B Mustang x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IV Oscar: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Spitfire VIII: 1 destroyed
P-51B Mustang: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x Spitfire VIII sweeping at 15000 feet *

Raid detected at 11 NM, estimated altitude 20,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
J2M3 Jack x 9
N1K2-J George x 22
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 8
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 5
Ki-84a Frank x 13
Ki-100-I Tony x 8

Allied aircraft
Spitfire VIII x 18

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
Spitfire VIII: 2 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x Spitfire VIII sweeping at 15000 feet *

It would have been about 1:1 if some of my LR CAP hadn't bled to Vanimo on the 15th. Not bad, considering that's almost a month of P-47s knocked out!!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1409
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) - 4/7/2017 2:40:36 PM   
Lowpe

That is a pretty darn good bombardment by only two cruisers.

Kind of hard to believe the base wasn't savaged the next day. Weather, possibly?

Low sweeps always seem to be painful. The only reason I really can see doing it is to try and stack the odds in your favor that the low sweeps come in prior to the bombers.

I always thought altitude was a big factor in the timing of raids over a particular base. More than distance at any rate.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1410
Page:   <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A) Page: <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI